[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dragon Ball Z or Dragon Ball Z Kai?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: dbz40-02[1].jpg (57 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
dbz40-02[1].jpg
57 KB, 640x480
Dragon Ball Z or Dragon Ball Z Kai?
>>
>>139627029
Kai is far, FAR more manageable thanks to almost all of the filler being cut out. The English dub is also nice, if you're into that kind of stuff.
>>
>>139627029
Kai is pretty much the definitive version because it's more beautiful, fixed up and the pacing is great.
But be warned there's no Piccolo and Goku driving lesson episode.
>>
>>139627029
i would advise kai for new watchers, even though i am a nostalgia dubfag myself
>>
>>139627029
If you're watching it in Japanese, DBZ because the voice actors are in their prime and sound amazing

If you're watching it in English or French, DBZ Kai
>>
>>139627161
NNNOOOOOOOO!!!!
>>
>>139627029
Kai hands down in just about every way. hardcore nostalgiafags would tell you other wise.
Tons less filler, less charge up bullshit.
>>
>>139627277
If you wanted less filler then just read the manga?
>>
>>139627320
But Kai is just a better adaptation than Z imo.
There's filler and then there's just wasting my time and the overall enjoyment of a show.
>>
File: Dragon Ball - V14C00 - Page 02.png (2 MB, 1050x1530) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Ball - V14C00 - Page 02.png
2 MB, 1050x1530
>>139627473
You know you want to.
>>
I'm actually shocked that /a/ is this favorable of Kai.
>>
>>139627029
Kai is fucking awful. Horrible opening song. The original japon version is the only way.
>>
>tfw no release of dbz kai with the original jap cha la head cha la
>>
>>139627221
>If you're watching it in French, DBZ Kai
Original DBZ have the same dubbers as Kai + original soundtrack + blood + released in 1988.
French DBZ was best DBZ.
>>
>>139627675
.....I-I w-want to what? What do I know I want to do? anon......
>>
>>139627824
It sure was. I love your French Vegeta and voice cast.
>>
File: Dragon Ball - V20C285 - Page 03.png (810 KB, 1024x1536) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Ball - V20C285 - Page 03.png
810 KB, 1024x1536
>>139627825
Just do it, son.

https://bakabt.me/details.php?id=173878&page=1
>>
I haven't watched DBZ Kai yet. I'm a bigger fan of the jap voices mainly because of the soundtrack. Is it the same BGM as the original DBZ in Kai?
>>
>>139627029
I watched the traveling to Namek filler a few months ago. I wouldn't recommend it.
>>
>>139628115
Bro.... Thanks
>>
>>139627029
The manga. Kai is ok but the censorship is a travesti
>>
>>139628115
Wow, I didn't know that someone did the Piccolo Saga.
>>
SEAN: It had nothing to do with that. I don't think it needed it I think you could of had Dragon Ball Z as it is. I do like Kai a little more because I'm a purest and I like it matching the manga. However I enjoy a lot from Z. I actually like the driving episode. Also since the translation was so accurate I understood a lot more after doing Kai. Especially a lot about Goku's and Vegeta's relationship.

CHRIS: If I said it needed it, it would be for very selfish reasons. I feel like it was awesome that someone allows you to redo something we did in the past. It was nice to go through and translate it with an amazing translations. I think Kai suffered from editing problems that Z didn't have, but Z had the different problem of being a little too long winded. Did we need it? No. Was it awesome? Yes.

>The completion of the Level sets is probably just a fantasy, but can we expect to see a 4:3 Blu-Ray release of DBZ in one form or another in the future?

[Justin Cook (the producer) says he has his fingers crossed.]

CHRIS: It was my assumption that there weren't as many people buying that version to support the massive amount of people that had to work on restoring it frame by frame. Perhaps with these new movies and possibly a new series around the corner maybe that will change.
>>
File: Dragon Ball Z BGM Collection 1.jpg (255 KB, 700x628) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Ball Z BGM Collection 1.jpg
255 KB, 700x628
Dragon Ball Z is excellent in Japanese, and fucking abhorrent in English.

Dragon Ball Kai is okay in Japanese, and great in English.

>>139628247
Kai nearly aired to completion in Japan with a new score by Kenji Yamamoto. But they ousted him once they found out he'd been plagiarizing other music for years. So the last two or three episodes and the home video version have the original Z Kikuchi score.

As for the US version, they released half of it with Yamamoto, then once the plagiarism thing happened, they discontinued the sets and re-released them with the Kikuchi score. The second half has _only_ been released with the Kikuchi score.

I think though that the way they re-added the original score is kind of half-assed (much like Kai's editing), and the music placement is nowhere near as good as it was in Z. Especially since they only use like half the tracks they could have used, and probably placed the cues in a fucking hurry when the scandal broke.
>>
>>139631794
I'll just stay away from it, then. The Kikuchi BGM really made DBZ for me when I rewatched it years ago.
>>
>>139627029
Kai is better 98% of the time.

Some of the filler from the original is good, and sometimes making certain scenes longer made things more dramatic (like Cell vs. Gohan), and etc, but for the most part Kai is exceptionally better.

Better dialog, better pacing, better voice acting (dub), cleaner colors in the animation, etc.
>>
>>139628510
Watch the uncut version?

What were you watching? Nickelodeon?
>>
The uncut Kai version for english dub
The Z version for japanese and latinamerica
>>
>>139632476
Mi negro
>>
>>139631794
Isn't the Buu arc an even bigger mess?
>>
>>139627029

I think i fapped to that episode.
>>
That fake Namek filler was just an excuse to have Bulma running around in underwear.
>>
>>139632986
Yup. Q-TEC did the film transfer for the original Kai run, but for Kai 2.0, Toei did the film transfer themselves. It looks like ass compared to Kai -- has the detail all mucked up and has a weird green tint to it. Doesn't look a whole lot better than Funi's shitty Blu-rays to be honest.

Also the home release is 16:9 cropped like the broadcast version, whereas the original Kai's home release was 4:3.

On top of all that, they got yet another composer, Norihito Sumitomo, who also did the music for the two recent films and for Super, and he is... well. He's got some good tracks and it can be neat and ambient but it's mostly forgettable, kind of like generic immediate "epic" music.

He's acceptable at best, and pretty awful at worst. There's a certain goofball synthy track they keep using in Super that is absolutely fucking dreadful.

I'd be okay with them reusing Kikuchi tracks til the end of time instead.
>>
>>139633373
Didn't they lose the Kikuchi tracks or something? A lot of the original tracks just weren't in the Kai version.
>>
>>139633434
I'm not sure what the deal is. It's like they only had a dozen tracks from movies 4 to 9 and a handful of Saiyan arc tracks sitting around. And naturally they couldn't use any Head-Cha-La based tracks cause it wasn't the opening.
>>
>>139627029
Read the manga. Kai is a complete hackjob and DBZ is background-noise tier.
>>
Kai doesnt have the goat dub soundtrack, the only thing that prevents it from being perfect
>>
>>139633610
Drowning Pool and Disturbed don't belong in Dragon Ball
>>
>>139633242
Bulma wasn't in her underwear on Fake Namek, just on the spaceship of inconsequential retarded children.
>>
>>139633653
I'm talking about falcouner nigga
>>
>>139633746
1990s DOS game MIDI music doesn't belong in Dragon Ball either
>>
>>139627029

I had lots of time so I chose to go with Dragon Ball Z

>Season 1-5 were awesome
>Season 6-7 were good
>Season 8-9 had its moments

I watch Kai in random pieces on my DVR and I gotta say that I really prefer the original voice actors, especially Bulma
>>
>>139634066
Even Freeza?
>>
>>139634066

Actually Season 1-4 were awesome with 5-7 just being good, I thought season 5 was the garlic jr episodes.

>>139634117

It's a nostalgia thing but I do prefer the older one

His voice in Kai IS more fitting though
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.