[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cyborg 009
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 421x590) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 421x590
So what do you guys think of Cyborg 009? It has a long history, but I don't see it talked about as much as Lupin III or even Devilman. Especially not on /a/. Never see threads of it on here.

I grew up watching the series that came out in I believe around 2001-2003 . It would be on weekdays on toonami, and I loved it. Got around to watching it again along with the original series, and they're incredible. How are we not talking about this? Even picked up the manga and it's a fun read. I seen the film that came out a few years back and it was pretty shitty, although Part of that is me being against the CGI plague that's already destroying western animation. More specifically animated films. I did hear the Crossover film with Devilman was pretty good though. The trailer looked nice but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. Did you guys see it and liked it?

But yeah. Hoping we can discuss the franchise. What are some of your favorite moments, characters, series, ect.. Truly underrated if you ask me, or atleast to us westerners.
>>
anyone?
>>
guess not.
>>
Well I haven't read it, besides the one chapter that was published alongside that new western spinoff. Someone dumped it when it came out. /co/ seems to have more interest in it than /a/. And there's /m/fags. I actually did enjoy the first chapter, but just never got around to it. I agree that it doesn't get that much attention.
>>
>>139361034
It's a pretty dark story when you think about it. These were people who were experimented on, and made into cyborgs for the purpose of being living weapons. Doesnt really come off that way because the personalities of the characters are just charming and sometimes silly. It really is a joy to either read or watch.
>>
Manga is great. Love the take on the cold war/vietnam. Easily tezuka tier.
>>
If I remember right, the original version was controversial because it was one of the first anime or manga that showed boobs with nipples.
>>
>>139361548
I wish the manga volumes werent so expensive nowadays. I'd like to pick up all 10 of them, but they're too pricey. Already deopped $200 on 10 Lupin Manga volumes alone.

Never would of thought as a kid i'd ever pay so much money just for books.
>>
>>139360057
Not as good as Kikaider.
>>
>>139362015
the manga? That's interesting. It's been awhile but I dont recall seeing any boobs unless someone wants to post the panels. If I remember correctly, the manga came out in 1964 so it is possible for it being one of the 1st to show breasts, but then again, 3 years later Lupin came out, and he rapes a girl every chapter, so I dont know how uncommon it was at the time.
>>
is it all finally translated yet?
>>
>>139362173
bullshit and you know it. How dare you sir!
>>
>>139362247
The manga? It's been translated for over a decade.
>>
I liked it I saw it when I was like 14 I'll agree it's underrated.

Kikaider was aight the sex scene blew me away again when I was like 15 or so.
>>
>>139362226
I think it seems doubtful that it's the manga. Unless you're talking some kind of mainstream mag or something.
>>
>>139362295
It's odd that I love it as much as I do because there's no anime I hate more than mech/mecha related anime If it can even be considered that. That and Casshan/Casshern sins. Hate everything else, gundam, neon genesis, gurren lagann. Hate all of it.
>>
>>139362324
like I said. If someone wants to track down the pages with the tits showing, I'll gladly take a look.. for um.. educational purposes.
>>
>>139362377
Well there's more focus on the human side of things and you see that with the cyborgs.

Everything else mecha related focuses more on a grand war. Excluding of course some special titles.
>>
>>139362421
I liked Infinite Stratos except when they focused on the robot fighting.
>>
>>139362493
There's a webm out there with a fanatic explaining in detail of how he could explain to his gf why cyborg 009 is the shit. It's obviously comedic but everything he pointed out was everything I loved about the series. I'll see if I can dig it up. If a kind anon has it please share it.
>>
>>139362577
You need the sound to experience it at best tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16PAGIcIf9g&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>139362577
oh god please share if you can find it. I'd love to see how other people think about the series, especially in a comedic way.
>>
>>139362662
get the sound one then.. also how the fuck am I suppose to know which one is the boy and which one is the girl? both look equally feminine
>>
>>139362699
Dude calls out her name anon. Anyway I'm out nice to see others still appreciate the series.
>>
I love pretty much everything Ishinomori ever did from Skull man to Kikaider but especially Cyborg 009. This last movie they made where the team fights god or something, that shit was LAME. But I love all of the old stuff. Just good simple fun. I used to run around pretending to be Jet Link in my chuuni days. I always thought he was the most badass. Anyway, it's always nice to see a thread paying homage to a work by my favorite mangaka of all time.
>>
here's the sound one. Was extremely easy to fine. Cant fully enjoy it the way I should because im a slow reader so I have to constantly pause it, and when im reading I dont have enough time to look at the facial expressions.
>>
>>139362898
and I forgot the link.

https://youtu.be/16PAGIcIf9g
>>
>>139362918
Isn't this the same link from before?
>>
>>139362814
are the series from the 60's and 70's subbed? only watched the 00's series but always wanted to check out the older stuff.
>>
>>139362935
probably. I just realized I had my volume turned down so I thought the 1st video didnt have sound. Plus other anon said something about it not having sound so that fucked me up and got me confused.
>>
>>139360057
I really want to watch the anime, but it only has dubtitles and only for the first half.
>>
>>139361548
It's Tezuka tier because of course Ishinomori was Tezuka's assistant making Astro Boy and Princess Knight among other works. Along with Go Nagai, they form the triumvirate, the keepers of evolution of anime into the late 20th century form that influenced just about every other work of japanese animation that came after them.

Did anyone else really like the version of Skull Man that came out 7 years ago? It's not a direct translation of the amazing one-shot that was also the inspiration for Kamen Rider, but is very interesting in its own right (at least as far as I'm concerned).
>>
>>139362944
Yes they are. More importantly, the movies are easily found and watched and those are really the best to watch. I've never seen a batch download for the old Cyborg 009 series, but I've found most of the episodes with those hard yellow subs (obvious vhs transfers) using KAZAA at one point. Wasn't great resolution, but it was good enough.
>>
>>139363041
We should have a golden age thread every now and then.

I heard Ishinormi was close friends Monkey Punch. If you have ever seen Dead or Alive, 009 makes a cameo on a screen. It's pretty hype
>>
>>139363081
I find subs for the older series are harder to find., Wish Discotek would just come out with a box set with new subs.
>>
File: a and girl.webm (3 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
a and girl.webm
3 MB, 854x480
It was pretty cool.
>>
>>139363170
>pretty cool
Masterpiece is what I'd consider it. easily in the top 3 best anime of the 70's
>>
>>139363128
I definitely agree that we should talk more about the older stuff out there simply having waifu threads and the same lucky star thread every night. When was the last time we talked about the impact Cream Lemon had on Project A-Ko? Or how AIC in the 90s just made amazing show after amazing show? We still circle-jerk Anno and the rest of Gainax, but we don't talk about Otaku no Video or wtf was with the attempted rape in Wings of the Honey-Mayonaise.
>>
>>139363301
I agree, and considering how thick the 70s were with great works from legends like Leiji Matsumoto and Yoshiyuki Tomino, it's quite a thing to say about a show. Off the top of my head, the 70s had Gundam, Space Battleship Yamato, Gatchaman, Mazinger, Future Boy Conan, Getter Robo, and the first incarnation of Tekkaman (even if I liked the 90s version better).
>>
>>139363152
I have been wondering what the logic is for not having done this yet. I've been waiting ever since DVDs first came around for them to start re-releasing classic anime on the new format for the younger generations to start getting into. Have they not seen this phenomenon happening all over the world with other older shows being released and finding new followings in younger generations? It's just baffling, like they hate making money or something.
>>
>>139363428
>70's
>Doesnt bring up Lupin III Part 1 and 2
>Doesnt bring up Mystery of Mamo
>Doesnt bring up Castle of Cagliostro (which is Miyazaki's best work)
>>
>>139363469
Even though it would be great, lets be honest. How many people do you think is going to buy the 1960's cyborg 009 on dvd? I love it, and it truly is important in the history of anime, but no one is going going to buy it outside of maybe 20 people max.
>>
>>139363428
As much as I like all of them, Ace Wo Nerae still ranks higher for me.

The 70's also had Cutie Honey, which was pretty damn influential on comedy and ecchi shows.
>>
>>139363332
I'd like to talk about how awesome DEEN were pre-2000, but no one seems to care.
>>
>>139363559
>influential on comedy and ecchi shows.
that's not saying much since those are bottom tier genres when it comes to anime.
>>
>>139363608
Well I'd also argue that it was influential on Mahou Shoujo shows aimed at an older audience too. And the same for monster of the week shows. Honey is pretty ruthless.
>>
File: Rider-Justice.png (2 MB, 1409x775) Image search: [Google]
Rider-Justice.png
2 MB, 1409x775
>That moment when Joe meets Tatsuo (Skullman 98)
>when detective Hioka is turned into pic related
the 2007's anime ending that links to cyborg 009
>>
>>139363652
I still find it funny His name is joe, but has a japanese last name. What's his nationality. He has big round eyes and brown hair, so I imagine he's not really japanese. I really wish anime didnt make the races ambiguous. It pisses me off not knowing what the fuck they are. I usually just assume everyone is japanese since 90% of anime takes place in tokyo, but there are chracters that I really dont want to be japanese for certain reason, and so it makes everything very confusing for me
>>
File: 1421978324038.jpg (2 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1421978324038.jpg
2 KB, 125x125
>>139363608
>influential on comedy and ecchi shows.
>that's not saying much since those are bottom tier genres when it comes to anime.
anon, Honey is the reason magical girls exist
>>
>>139363638
I did enjoy all the titties.
>>
>>139363778
>Honey is the reason magical girls exist
Why are you trying to make me hate a show that I dont want to hate?
>>
>>139363767
if I remember correctly, at the time he was created he was an american/japanese orphan/abandoned child
>>
>>139363812
I'm not, but look at the history, every time a new honey anime was produced there was a resurgence of magical girl themed shows
>>
I grew up watching this on toonami just like you OP, loved despite hating mecha (I still do). I havent watched it since I was a kid though so I don't remember too much about except that it was really good, maybe its time I gave it another go. Question is, dub or sub?
>>
>>139363824
Okay so hid dad was american and his mother was japanese.

No wonder he's 50% cool and a badass.
>>
>>139363870
The dub is surprisingly really good and holds up. if you grown accustomed to subs, the watch the japanese, but the dub is great enough to the point where it doesnt really matter, plus if you're nostalgic towards that version it just feels right.
>>
>>139363894
and small wonder he got shit from Jet most of the time
>>
If I had a top 10 favorite anime List Cyborg 009 would be on it. Should be on everyone list honestly. You can still have your Bebops, and your Triguns, but Cyborg 009 should be on there. If not, then you arent really an anime fan
>>
File: 1440482216194.png (40 KB, 392x200) Image search: [Google]
1440482216194.png
40 KB, 392x200
>>139363812
>>139363859
also thank to Nagai we have:
>fanservice
>mecha
>blood and gore
>hot blodded MCs
>>
>>139363498
Yeah I realized I'd forgot lupin right after I posted it. I just got stuck on the space and giant robot stuff.
>>
night famila
>>
File: 1176360-skullman.jpg (21 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
1176360-skullman.jpg
21 KB, 600x338
>>139360057
My only experience with anything relating to it was The Skull Man.
I didn't understand the twist or why everyone went apeshit.
>>
>>139363796
So did I when I watched it as a little boy two decades ago.

Good old innocent times, when tv stations just aired cartoons, because cartoons are of course only for kids, and the morale censors didn't pay attention too much to anime.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.