[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is manga /anime so formulaic? Is it because artist are scared
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
Why is manga /anime so formulaic? Is it because artist are scared of making something people will hate? But then wouldn't that not turn into a form of art, but a form of entertainment?
>>
Because most things have been done before and it's hard to think truly outside the box, just like everything else ever.
>>
>>139206003
Blame the editors, if they want true freedom then they would be writing LNs
>>
>>139206003
Because the livelyhood of people depends on it, and taking risks usually means bankruptcy 2 seasons later.
Same with every other branch of entertainment media.
>>
>>139206111
Yes LNs are full of originality.
>>
>>139206003
it's the same for films and all the other kind of arts. Anime studios exist mostly to make money, so after some original good title once in a while it follow an eternity of shitty copycats made to make money.
>>
The same reason most hollywood shit is formulaic.
>>
>>139206003
Because they are products made to make money and that formula has been proven to give the most money

You are wrong in assuming the formula is stale though, its constantly changing adapting and getting better at getting peopleĀ“s money
>>
>>139206086
>tfw you realize every new story being written is nothing but a rehash of something older.
>>
Because they need to make money.
>>
>>139206003
>muh art
These threads are pure fucking cancer. Kill yourself.
>>
>>139206667
posters like you are the cancer, mate
>>
>>139206667

Creativity and imagination is so important for us to have. When art no longer becomes about expression of creativity there's a problem.
>>
>>139206873
You should get into painting or photography.
Manga/anime is commercialized to shit, there is barely any art to be found here.
>>
>>139206938

I like illustrations and animations. Manga/Anime pretty much fit those categories
>>
>>139207290
Then you are limiting yourself a lot if you only consume /a/ material
>>
>>139207555

What else should I be looking at?
>>
That's part of what makes anime anime. If you only watch anime for the novelty factor you'll burn out eventually. How quick you burn out depends on your rate of consumption. Once you get to the point that everything seems like a rehash, remake, spin-off, or rip-off of something else, you're only choices that will make you happy are to stop watching anime or to learn to like anime for reasons besides novelty.

Or you can do what like 50% of /a/ does and keep watching anime even though you hate it just so you can complain about how much this season sucks on /a/.
>>
>>139207869
You seriously dont know anything about illustrations/animation outside the realm of Japan?

Dude you need to educate yourself.
>>
>>139207898
So what are your reasons to like it besides novelty.
>>
>>139207290
Sounds more like you just set the bar low for yourself so you don't have to try pursuing something more difficult. The world of art is so vast nobody could consume all there is to consume in their life time. If you want "art" then there's plenty of art out there for you to appreciate. You are in fact wasting your precious time on earth.
>>
>>139206210
How long after manglobe came out with the radical and risky Samurai Flamenco did their doors shutter? Exactly.
>>
>>139207948

Well of course that's why I asked. Only other stuff I look at is concept art.

>>139208039

Can you give me some examples?
>>
>>139206466
This.
No matter how hard you think you're being creative, you're not.
Hell my idea of a boy who wants to be a hero and looks up to all the warriors of a legendary hero team only for his natural talent to be a White Mage is probably something along the lines of something else.
>>
>>139206003
I always wonder when I see another super-cliched "harem" with beta MC - is this something that author genuinely wanted to write, despite knowing that it's just a copy-paste of a copy-paste, or is it just a failed abortion of author's idea, mutilated by some no-fun-allowed editor?
>>
Its because youre only watching/reading what /a/ talks about? Which is like 3 shows endlessly resold to us with a fresh coat of paint
Watch VOTOMS
>>
Why are 80% of Hollywood movies formulaic
It's because it sells, and you aren't going to get financing if the people in charge don't think your stuff sells, so they only approve the stuff that is similar to something that's come before and has proven to be successful
>>
>>139208168

That sounds interesting sort of like a what you're naturally good at vs what you want to be good at. Like talent vs hard work

>>139208206

So much this. Or when they start off with multiple main characters. Then just make them fuck off except the one that they like and make him the Greatest.
>>
>>139208023
The experience, mostly. I can sum up my appreciation of anime these days as: how a story is told is more important than what story is being told. I don't particularly care about the story as long as the story is told in an entertaining way. What I look for in anime now is enjoyable atmosphere, good voice acting, art direction, and sound direction. Things that make the experience of watching the show pleasant.

Other factors besides that are being able to enjoy a show with /a/, but you can't always count on that so it's not a reliable way to enjoy anime. Depending on others to make your hobby more enjoyable is never a smart move, and if it came to the point that I was only able to enjoy anime if /a/ enjoyed it, I think I'd just quit watching.

For now though, I do like it when I'm able to enjoy a series with other people, even if its otherwise not very good.
>>
Fuck off vee I just fapped to shotagun where the bottom actually had a decent sized dick, explain that as cliche
>>
>>139208398
>how a story is told
My problem is that I get sick of Japanese storytelling pretty easily so I have to take breaks from anime.
I always enjoy it better when the anime doesnt take itself too seriously.
>>
>>139208492
I don't really know what you mean by Japanese storytelling. Cause I'm pretty well versed in all manner of Japanese fiction and it's just as varied as any other culture. The fact you also use "storytelling" makes me think you're still hung up on plot. Some of the most enjoyable anime I've watched don't have anything resembling a plot.
>>
There is plenty of art. Not as much art in anime because it costs more to make as compared to manga, but it's there.

Consider films - few would deny that cinema can be art, but most films are entertainment. Art itself is entertainment, at its core, maybe entertainment plus but art that fails to move the heart is generally considered a failure. Really there is no firm line between art and entertainment.

In manga there is plenty of stuff that is legit high art. I studied literature in college and I would give Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and Natsu no Zenjitsu a place up there with any of it. Tezuka's Phoenix saga as well.
>>
File: 156.png (626 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
156.png
626 KB, 800x600
>>139206003
Because the pass/reject calls are always made by businessmen who have sworn an oath in the blood of their firstborn child that they will never take risks and will always play by the numbers.

"We can't have X character die. Rewrite it."
"We're releasing a new toy of Y character. Upscale their role in the story for the next five episodes."
"We've decided that Z character should be more like Asuka to boost ratings. Rewrite them."

The grim reality is that the actual writers have practically no decision-making power over what ostensibly their own work.
>>
>>139208588
Its mostly how the Japanese language works and the way Japanese people act. I cant stand Japanese values for the most part. How meek and sheepish they are.
It gets to me eventually and I snap.
Then I come back 2 seasons later.
This is a resting season to me.
>>
>>139208687
I guess I don't get what you're talking about.
>>
>>139208664
>dat image
Kud has attack-dogs. Battle rankings are some serious shit.
>>
>>139206466
>The imagination seems to be unrestrained, but actually all complex ideas are derived from simple impressions, by compounding (putting together), transposing, augmenting or diminishing mental materials derived from experience (senses or feelings).

>For example, the idea of a golden mountain can be traced back to our experience of "gold" and "mountain": it compounds or joins these two simple ideas, with which we are acquainted.

----David Hume
>>
File: 1405544400859.jpg (26 KB, 593x449) Image search: [Google]
1405544400859.jpg
26 KB, 593x449
>>139208664
Z-chan is best girl.
>>
>>139208926

Wouldn't a constantly expanding and changing universe mean infinite amount of ideas?
>>
>>139209189
But the universe does not expand constantly, it will eventually collapse unto itself and then there will be a another big bang and then we will be here again shitposting about anime
>>
>>139206003
Manga isn't formulaic, only popular manga.

Anime is formulaic because it costs a lot of money and man-hours to make.
>>
>>139209189
Only if we experience them first. The point is that you literally cannot have an original idea with no base in something you have already experienced. You can mix ideas, alter them, take them further, but you cannot just pull something wholly new out of the aether.
>>
Otaku really hate change or anything different
>>
>>139206003
Stop watching formulic shows.
>>
>>139209343

The ones that are not, get canceled
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.