[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Characters who were badass not because of fate or destiny but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 19
File: guy.png (42 KB, 237x556) Image search: [Google]
guy.png
42 KB, 237x556
Characters who were badass not because of fate or destiny but simple hard work.
>>
File: reipuman.jpg (18 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
reipuman.jpg
18 KB, 320x240
>>
>>138719291
Too good for that series desu
>>
>>138719291

A shame his apprentice is a jobber bitch
>>
File: lr.png (398 KB, 500x457) Image search: [Google]
lr.png
398 KB, 500x457
>>
File: file.png (910 KB, 944x940) Image search: [Google]
file.png
910 KB, 944x940
>>
File: kenichi_b.jpg (75 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
kenichi_b.jpg
75 KB, 480x360
Never read the manga, just watched the series. Worth picking up the manga, or are the rumors that the anime left off where it peaked and the manga is a slow downhill into mediocrity?
>>
gonna get flak because everyone (including myself lately) is not a fan of dg

Does Vegeta count? he was a prince but always got shit on and had to train to play catch up to fucking Goku and "i'm super retarded strong just cuz cuz" Gohan.
>>
>>138721011
I mean he was saiyan prince so if anything he is opposite and didn't live up to his "destiny".
>>
>>
>>138719291
/thread
>>
>>138721011
In that case Goku is the badass. Vegeta was an elite and always a lot stronger than Goku or any other saiyan.
Goku was the low class shitty saiyan that increased his power after years of training and adventures. Except with super saiyan god, that one is bullshit.
>>
File: Kaiji distraught.png (317 KB, 647x575) Image search: [Google]
Kaiji distraught.png
317 KB, 647x575
If only he could get over his gambling addiction and stop throwing all his money away the instant he gets it
>>
>>138720385
>hard work
>he couldn't cut steel, had a flashback, can suddenly cut steel
>hard work

More like shitty writing and plot armor
>>
File: sbr.jpg (165 KB, 759x1250) Image search: [Google]
sbr.jpg
165 KB, 759x1250
Nothing but determination.

They had no super powers, no special bloodlines, no huge amounts of equipment or money, just a few balls, a pair of horses, and a mission.
>>
>>138719291
Only character I liked in that shitty series.

>Entire story is about how you should follow your dream and work hard to obtain it
>main character is a special snowflake with super special abilities, he's also the chosen one.
Good job Kishimoto.
>>
>>138721843
being the last in a line of special Vatican City assassins and having been taught their unique style since being a little kid isn't a special bloodline? What about being a Jostar, possible the most famous of all manga bloodlines? Or what about their special powers known as Stands, the entire crux of the manga?

you're an idiot.
>>
File: misago otoshi.png (4 MB, 2600x2068) Image search: [Google]
misago otoshi.png
4 MB, 2600x2068
>>138720871
The manga continued to entertain me up until the finale arc. After the Ragnarok arc, there's some fun aside with other super-level disciples, then a giant tournament arc, and then the Masters start getting more involved and the focus shifts a little bit.

Anime doesn't do it justice, imo
>>
>>138720871
Kenichi does have special powers. The ability to take absolute fucking beatings.
>>
>>138721948
Alternate universe. Being taught the family business isn't the same as being part of a magic bloodline. Johnny's dad was an ass that didn't like him. Gyro and Johnny only got their stands from either the corpse parts or through practicing the spin.
>>
>>138721822
All Zoro does is sleep, drink, and train. All of his skill and talent is a result of that training, he was gifted no powers and as a kid was weak as shit.

As a result his "powerups" do feel unnatural, because his growth ought to be a steady climb, not leaps as he unlocks new Secret Forms and shit. But still, it's all his own effort paying off.
>>
>>138721948
I'm not sure about the Vatican Assassin thing, given that Gyro's father was an executioner from Genoa, but this is the universe in which the Joestars had nothing special about them. Johnny was a jockey, like his brother, and maybe their father. The Stand thing is nothing remarkable, given that they meet over a dozen other users.
>>
>>138721902
Yeah I liked that.
>neji it's not about fate or your birth it's about hard work!
>born with strongest tailed beast
>is son of fourth hokage
>is sage's son reincarnated
>>
>>138722065
>>138722096
Being a Joestar means you have a 「fate」, however. The 6 previous parts established this. Johnny definitely had 「destiny」on his side.

And getting magical powers from collecting magical artifacts has nothing to do with hard work.

They're badasses, good characters, SBR is great, but they don't fit OP's criteria.
>>
>>138722215
>born with strongest tailed beast

People forget that Kurama was constantly trying to devour Naruto's soul, so he couldn't actually use it for the msot aprt until deep in the series where he had an entire arc dedicated to just trying to use it.

>is son of fourth hokage

got nothing special out of it aside from kurama, and only a handful of people even know.

>is sage's son reincarnated

the only one that genuinely got to me, but even then it's explicitly stated that particular son had to work his whole life to tap into his raw potential.
>>
>>138721902
You're right, but only to a certain extent. People win the lottery all the time but how many of them increase their wealth thereafter? So yes, Naruto 'won the lottery' but he still had to work hard to achieve his dream.
>>
>>138722215
Kinda takes away from the point of the series doesn't it?
>>
>>138722400
What I never got was why everybody treated him like shit, if they knew he was the tailed beast host, and tailed beasts were considered military assets to the country, and he wasn't even the FIRST host, and everybody was A-okay with the previous host. Also he's the son of the former president, but he gets no special stature? Nobody even thinks to tell him this shit? It's just bad writing.
>>
>>138721715
Anime-onlyfag here genuinely interested in the series, should I read the manga or watch the anime first?
>>
>>138719324
Never change, /a/.
... Okay maybe change a little.
>>
>>138722400
Just because he couldn't call on Kurama's power without negative side effects doesn't mean it wasn't a plot device that saved him when an otherwise ungifted protagonist would have died. Literally in the first major fight against Haku, Sasuke nearly died and Naruto would have followed if not for I'M MAD, WE FOX CHAKRA NOW GET FUCKED
>>
>>138722296
I'd say Johnny had the least amount of 「fate」on his side. Other than the fact his father hated him and blamed him for his brother's death, Johnny's stand is REALLY shitty at the start, technically worse than a pistol. However, through determination, time, and help from Gyro he ultimately levels Tusk up to what is arguably the strongest stand in the series, and really the only stand to stand up to ZA WARUDO. Even so, he lives a pretty rough life all things considered.
>>
>>138721902
>Entire story is about how you should follow your dream and work hard to obtain it
I don't know why you faggots keep parroting this shit, it was never the case. Naruto had the tailed beast power and was a super special snowflake from the get-go, didn't win shit without using it. Literally in the very first arc he saves the day with his special powers and we knew about it. The story was about friendship and understanding of others from the very beginning, with the two main characters coming from the same background and being driven to take different paths
>>
File: Kaiji Beeru.gif (246 KB, 440x248) Image search: [Google]
Kaiji Beeru.gif
246 KB, 440x248
>>138722567
The anime is extremely faithful. It's honestly one of the best adaptations I've seen. Feel free to watch the anime first
>>
>>138719498
He works hard but badass is a bad way to put it
>>
>>138722296
It's been established that the arm only assisted Johnny when he was getting the hang of the Spin. After that, he only needs Gyro's guidance. Even then, Tusk requires both a Golden Rectangle as reference as well as a horse emulating one. His stand only became strong through his efforts.

If Johnny had destiny on his side, he would've gotten more out of the race than losing, having his wife forget who he is, then dying at the age of 29. Even then, Gyro certainly didn't have fate on his side, he's a Zeppeli, yet he was able to last far longer than most other characters.
>>
>>138722539
The tailed beasts are a metaphor for nuclear weapons, as so often in Japanese media. So yes, they are obviously a military asset but that does not mean that the average person is happy to have them around. Also the society in Naruto mimics progression that we see in the real world, with all the old hardened war veterans slowly dying off and a new generation taking over, for better and worse.
>>
>>138722539
Kurama nearly obliterated Konohagakure between hosts. The only ones who knew Obito was behind it died and took that knowledge to the grave.

Naruto was a nuke walking around in a village that had been devastated by a nuclear meltdown ten years ago. Of course they're going to be wary of him.
>>
>>138722628
>>138722721
I'd say Naruto had the least amount of 「fate」on his side. He was constantly getting fucked up, started off so weak he couldn't even pass Ninja 101, had to get babied by everybody, worked his ass off to master basic ninjutsu and the concepts of teamwork, etc.

He only became strong through his efforts. Nothing was ever just given to him, everything he achieved was through his own hard work. Kurama was a fucking curse that he somehow spun into gold.

the thing is, every shonen protag works hard and goes through some rough times, and none of them would be anything without some lucky coincidences. Naruto and Johnny are exactly the same in this regard.
>>
Is the Naruto anime any good? I was literally the perfect age for Naruto when it came here but I completley missed it, my friends always talked about it but I was never into it. I really don't feel like reading 700 chapters, how close is the anime to the manga?
>>
File: 003_004.jpg (2 MB, 1911x1400) Image search: [Google]
003_004.jpg
2 MB, 1911x1400
>>138723351
If you want to get into Naruto the Manga is by far the best way to go. Kishimoto gets a really gorgeous style later on and Naruto is fillered out the ass. The manga ended nearly two years ago and we still haven't hit the final fight.

Frankly though, and I'm saying this as a MASSIVE Narufag, it's really not worth going to as of now. Naruto has potential and small moments of brilliance but the final act is fucked and Kishimoto's life as a father caused him to get really far from what made the early arcs so good. It was also apparently editorialized out the ass. As of now, Boku No Hero Academia is largely doing what Naruto did, but way fucking better. Better art (relative to the time) a smarter protagonist, better pacing, and actual time dedicated to the side characters. You'd be better off jumping on that with the anime next month.

If you still want to experience Naruto, play the numbered STORM games. 1-3 are on ps3, and 4 is on ps4, xbone and PC. They do the narrative better than the manga, and Kishimoto himself has admitted they do the fights better. The only exception I would say is the final fight. it felt more kinetic in the manga, while in the games it's basically the end of MGS4.
>>
>>138721902
If anything, Naruto/Asura's shtick was getting power through friendship & hard work rather than alone. Over half his power-ups were the result of befriending something or training.
>>
>>138723351
I'd just rad the manga.
You can just read up to time skip and see of you want to continue.
sasuke is a faggot
>>
>>138723694
>As of now, Boku No Hero Academia is largely doing what Naruto did, but way fucking better.
You mean black clover?
>>
File: 1446559331877.png (146 KB, 588x623) Image search: [Google]
1446559331877.png
146 KB, 588x623
>>
>>138721843
>They had no super powers
Stands are super powers.
>>
>>138723932
Super powers born from their own abilities.
>>
>>138723884
He's obviously special since he just did bog standard strength training.
>>
>>138724294
If you're not baiting, then you're fucking retarded. You try doing what he did and get back with us.
>>
>>138724294
>implying only he could achieve such strength

anyone could do it, but they all rely on gimmicks or over specialization.
>>
>>138724352
>>138724388
If that newbie from fubuki group did Saitama's training regimen he would not become super strong like saitama.
>>
File: 3aS67HXX_200x200.png (82 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
3aS67HXX_200x200.png
82 KB, 200x200
He will surpass both Gai and Rock lee
>>
>>138724451
come back in a year and say that
>>
File: 14.jpg (305 KB, 728x1156) Image search: [Google]
14.jpg
305 KB, 728x1156
>>138719291
Baki is one of the best hard workers
>>
>>138723694
>memefrog and backgrounds dudes in picture
>Mina isn't
shit
>>
>>138724512
Who is Metal's mother? Some regular street walker I bet.
>>
>>138723976
Of doing nothing, most of them did not do any work to get their stands.
>>
File: 1457366521873.png (2 MB, 1664x2304) Image search: [Google]
1457366521873.png
2 MB, 1664x2304
>>138724669
here ya go anon
>>
>>138721011

Vegeta has done pretty well for himself for what amounts to decades of shadowboxing. Isn't Whis the first master he's had? Goku, on the other hand, has been trained by people smarter and stronger than he since the very beginning, adopted their techniques, and made them his own. Plus he was dead for 7 years so he had the benefit of no laws of physics.
>>
>>138724669
Mina is a literal who. Who is a borderline failure at the school. She is literally shit. Cute, but useless shit.
>>
>>138724451

Because he has more potential than Saitama. Saitama being a shitter is the only reason why he broke his limiter. Garou also almost broke his limiter but because he had no conviction or confidence, he failed.
>>
>>138724763
Gyro and Johnny did, Lesson 5 required mastery and understanding of the Golden Rectangle, acting as extensions of their own abilities
>>
File: 1455865110518.png (11 KB, 184x159) Image search: [Google]
1455865110518.png
11 KB, 184x159
>>138724784
>saliva trail
That's pretty fucking lewd Horikoshi.
>>
>>138719498
a true hero
>>
>>138725112
it's an edit, obviously.
>>
>>138724980
Limiter is just explanation of Saitama's strength from genus.
>>
>>138724653
hes the son of the strongest so i think he shouldnt count.
>>
One doesn't have a special snowflake Alchemy ability like Ed, doesn't have a engraved archaic Alchemic symbol on his borrowed from his dead brother that can instantly destroy anything, or like Roy, who uses a special snowflake perfected array no else is aware of. Alex only utilizes a unique Alchemy style that benefits his physique, probably perfecting this combat style for decades, and is known family tradition that people are probably aware of. He take on Scar, a Homunculus, and other enemies Ed has trouble with despite his abilities being more or less the same.

The other doesn't even have the generic powers of the setting. She should be the most disadvantage of them all, but she's the general of an army that has cyborgs and alchemists on side and they take orders from her. Even in fighting ability, she's still considered a threat and can defeat her superpowered sibling in a fight.
>>
>>138725590
I loved the Armstrong family for this.
>>
>>138725590
I'd think that Fuhrer Bradley would be the best example, he might be a homunculus but that doesn't make him stronger or immortal or give him special powers like all the other homunculi, and he still takes apart everyone in his way until he loses both arms and gets blinded.
>>
>>138725547

Except the term is used by the narrative to describe Garou so it's clearly a thing.
>>
>>138725936
Unreliable narrator.
>>
>>138725590
Based Armstrong family.
>>
>>138725969

That doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>138725995
It makes sense from a certain point of view.
>>
File: 1423383428486.jpg (14 KB, 264x252) Image search: [Google]
1423383428486.jpg
14 KB, 264x252
>>138726046

I don't know what's happening but I know I don't like it.
>>
>>138724512
Offtopic but I read naruto and where is the page where Salad finds picture of Karen behind Sakura?
It's not in 700 is it in some extra thing?
>>
>>138722865
Yeah thats how he started out then they did the usual shounen shitfest and had him learn super techniques then decided that was too much
effort so they changed it again and we went from poor orphan boy with no help to Space Ninja Jesus who is the reincarnated son of
Space Ninja God.

The only reason he isn't poster boy for overpowerd shit is because he's in the same series as the Uchiha (Pull a new power out my bloodlines ass everyweek) family.
>>
File: samui_colored_by_uchihadood.png (685 KB, 900x1185) Image search: [Google]
samui_colored_by_uchihadood.png
685 KB, 900x1185
>>138724753
Samui is his mom
>>
>>138719498
winrar
>>
>>138724753
Bushy brow line reproduce asexually as a result of researching 8 gates technique.
>gai only has father
>rock lee only has father figure gai
>metal only has lee
>>
>>138726475
Meiko + Hana wig = Samui
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.