[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /a/'s opinion on short-form anime?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8
File: teekyu-wallpaper.02bb0efa.jpg (674 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
teekyu-wallpaper.02bb0efa.jpg
674 KB, 1920x1080
What is /a/'s opinion on short-form anime?
>>
File: 1456628892328.jpg (364 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1456628892328.jpg
364 KB, 1920x1080
>>138556130
Saviors of anime.
>>
>>138556130
For the past year and a half they have stepped their game up on shorts. some of teh best stuff every season is shorts now.
>>
>>138556130
I think it's what replaced OVAs.
>>
>>138556130
It's a fucking horrible format and it kills my heart that things like >>138556232 are bound to such abominable form.

I'd love to see those characters develop properly in a full series, not just blue balled by a couple of minutes each weak.
>>
>>138556425
Holy shit spot on, it works for small experimental comedy stuff but for things with characters that I would actually like to see MUCH more of, it's shit.
>>
3 minutes ones are trash.
The 7-11 minute ones are pretty good.
>>
It's a garbage format not worth bothering with watching weekly. The only options are "disappointed because it's not very good" or "disappointed because it is good and you only get 3 minutes of actual content which isn't enough time to be anything but mediocre," basically a lose lose situation. If it was all edited together into one OVA without the OP and ED every time I'd watch it.
>>
File: bikini_warriors_end.jpg (146 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
bikini_warriors_end.jpg
146 KB, 1280x720
It seems Japan can only be funny in 12-minute-or-less bursts, so keep 'em coming.
>>
File: GA_giantcross01.jpg (62 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
GA_giantcross01.jpg
62 KB, 640x480
Several of /a/'s favorites are actually 2 or 3 discrete episodes assembled into one 24-minute block.
GA had it both ways.
>>
Lots of my favourite shows from the past few years have been shorts. Teekyuu, Plastic Nee-san, Legend of Koizumi, Ai Mai Mii, Somera-chan, Nandaka Velonica, Aiura
>>
>>138556130
Depends on the series. I think I agree with >>138556425 that shows like Galko should be longer because it's not really a fast paced anime, 7 minutes per week is simply not enough.

Teekyu on the other hand is perfect. The frantic ADHD pacing goes well with the short episode length, it would get exhausting if it were longer.
>>
>>138556130
Shorts have been pretty great recently.

There hasn't been a single season in more than a year now that didn't have at least one short worth watching that wasn't teekyu.
>>
>>138556232
>We could have had more background information chapters like how Galko, Otako, and Ojou became friends
>More segments featuring the highly underused side girls
>A more fitting pace
>More time to develop the current relationships between the girls, like how Ojou strives to become more than a third-wheel parrot
Then again I've heard the show is doing fairly well, so maybe 15-minute episodes in S2?
>>
>>138557754
I think that 8 minutes for a manga with this format it's actually spot-on, but you are right about so much character development is left aside. The manga is just on the volume 3 and the anime is just adapting volume 1, so yeah, let's hope that season 2 happen, it must happen.

>We could have had more background information chapters like how Galko, Otako, and Ojou became friends
In a previous thread I read that that's actually what happen at the beginning of the manga, but for some reason they leave it, maybe they are planning on use it for the season finale.
>>
I think they're much better.
So many anime drags on and on and on, it's nice to watch something where you're not checking the seekbar timer every 5 minutes.
>>
File: info160129.jpg (722 KB, 1190x1684) Image search: [Google]
info160129.jpg
722 KB, 1190x1684
I wonder how Studio Bones will make short anime.
>>
Shorts are fucking retarded.
>extremely lower budget, animation done by whoever the fuck
>near always low sales, barely getting much attention for the source
>budget even affects audio, (nonexistent)OST, shat out OP/ED, seiWHO voicing characters
>literally shit companies involved, cheap fucks like Crunchy can pop up causing more cancer
>near never a possibility for a full length series later
>~5 min segments essentially OP/ED that get waited on per week
>less is obviously adapted compared to a regular series
>not even fan artists tend to appear due to how little attention it gets
Probably forgot shit to add. Some of you are also part of the problem. Most anime appears on TV, not for your fucktarded click happy idiocy with seekbars etc. It's like you compare this to a YouTube video or something, with dipshits doing quick recordings of plastering their face all over in different positions.
>>
>>138561458
u mad
>>
>>138561946
No, easy to expect such a reply. What's typed out simply is the status of how they're made, it's just that bad.
>>
>>138556130
a low-budget excuse to make shitty anime a normal thing
>>
>>138556130
Usually good.
>>
>>138560366
It will be well animated. But the ending and season 2 will be shit.
>>
>>138556130
Teekyu is perfection.
>>
It's a sin that there isn't more of koyomimonogatari
>>
masterpieces
>>
>>138561458
Eh, I didn't quite got the non greentext part of your post, anyways, if those are your real feelings I recommend you to watch Galko, and in general most of the latest shorts, they all been great. I have to say that I never liked shorts before, for some of the reasons you already pointed out, but after Hacka Doll and Wakaba Girls I started picken them up, and boy it was such a good decision, I just can't imagine my weeks without Galko-chan.
>>
>>138564377
There's a difference between liking a series and disliking an adaptation. You can lump it along with something like a live action since there's a fair amount of change from a regular experience. If a short can survive multiple cours and/or gather active elevens that spread word, then it's suitable. You can sort of compare it to 4koma, it isn't full bodied in a way, but it still has to properly breed popularity. A lot of shorts amount to something like 1 vol and almost seem like they never existed to them.
>>
>>138556130
They're boring and teekyuu is overrated
>>
>>138556425
>>138556680
The Galko-chan anime ahs been a perfect adaptation of the manga and a great short so far.
The thing is that it just wouldn´t work as a standard 24 episode anime. The manga chapters are two pages long that it in one or two minute segments. Also, despite you wanting to see more of the characters develop or more of the side characters it isnt possible since the content just isn´t there, there is nothing of that in the source material.
>>
>>138566382
You've been watching the wrong shorts.
For a few seasons now some of the best anime are shorts.
>>
>>138564377
Ah forgot first portion. People almost act like eps are something they click on a YouTube search with western 3DPD or Nurutu shit right next to them. These are late night TV that Japanese follow the schedule to, and are starved for disc sales that need to happen when released. Be wary of cancer, it's not going to make chinese cartoons better.
>>
>>138566839
Even if the material is faster, it's not like that makes it cancerous.

Many shorts do not rely on that sort of shitty ADHD youtube "humor" that you seem to be concerned about.
>>
>>138568109
Mentality of viewers is what I mean, not exactly to shorts. Handling something in a retarded way or not having full understanding both make /a/ and Japan xenophobic, because there's nothing to expect but shit that can increase in number/variety. Pretty much nothing ends at "1 vol", nor is anime intended to be a clickable (seekbar/link)option that's out of place.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.