[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do subfags insist on watching a show in Japanese if the English
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 18520l.jpg (142 KB, 429x600) Image search: [Google]
18520l.jpg
142 KB, 429x600
Why do subfags insist on watching a show in Japanese if the English VO is as good if not better?

Also why do weebs fuck up on Berserk character names so hard?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRr98d-L3zQ
>>
>Gattsu
>>
>>135633731

fucking disgusting
>>
File: 51348_berserk_guts_and_griffith.jpg (350 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
51348_berserk_guts_and_griffith.jpg
350 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>135633606
Because subs are closer to the original.
Not only do dubs lose the original japanese voices but localized anime will often "mistranslate" or change the dialogs.
You can't make japanese puns in english for example. But when with subtitles it's not as retarded because it's not being said in english.
When the characters speak english and have japanese names, live in japan and eat japanese food it's just stupid. Anime is japanese and when you watch it dubbed you lose something.

Also, aesthetics.

>>135634045
Cool image but you can't bump your own thread.
>>
>>135634237

I disagree with most of that
>>
>>135634302
Ok, what exactly and why?
>>
>>135634338
>Not only do dubs lose the original japanese voices but localized anime will often "mistranslate" or change the dialogs

The good ones like Berserk do not to my knowledge

>You can't make japanese puns in english for example. But when with subtitles it's not as retarded because it's not being said in english

its usually always retarded in my opinion because most anime and manga is not punny

>When the characters speak english and have japanese names, live in japan and eat japanese food it's just stupid

again Berserk makes it work for obvious reasons
>>
>>135633606
Watched the anime subbed and the movies dubbed. Both are great. I like the dub more simply because it's a western oriented work. Swap Midland for France or England and tell it to someone who doesn't know any better, they'll believe it. Also I like Guts and Griffith's dubbed voices and I can't get over Eggman.
>>
File: 1401420888748.jpg (40 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1401420888748.jpg
40 KB, 250x250
>>135633606
>watching the anime at all
>>
>>135634472
>The good ones like Berserk do not to my knowledge

Never watched Berserk but why watch anime dubbed in the hopes the dub is good and doesn't fuck up. Did you forget about the Prison School GamerGate bullshit? I'm not saying every dub sucks though.
Getting a bad dub is easier than a bad sub.
+ the voices might not fit the characters and the voice acting might not be that good, a problem you don't have with subs, even if the japanese voice acting was bad (which it rarely is) you most likely wouldn't notice.

>its usually always retarded in my opinion because most anime and manga is not punny

I don't understand what you mean by this but localized anime is worse at conveying the original meaning than subtitles.

>again Berserk makes it work for obvious reasons

Because it's a dark fantasy anime and barely japanese? Ok so it works for Berserk but most other anime is tied to japanese culture, you can't deny that.

You didn't ask specifically about Berserk, so I'm kept it general.
>>
>>135633606
>the English VO is as good if not better?
Prove it.
>>
>>135635019
The reason dubs aren't that great is really all from the direction. The actors can only do what they're told unless they have some influence. Andre's Meatwad voice is something I'd expect from an abridged series, and it doesn't go the full Ghost Stories level of parody dubs so it just stands out to me.

Look at Disney movies for an example of a good dub. The singing, talking and jokes are all because of the level of direction. The Japanese version of Hellfire (Hunchback) is laughable at first because "ah Maria-sama" just isn't the same as "Beata Maria"

>>135635120
Put your grasses on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YzHTt2Pns4
>>
IM WAIIITING SO RONG
>>
>>135633606
Because the original VO will always be better. If you think that the english dub is always as good or even better you're a newfag
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.