[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm late to the party, was the consensus that this didn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 353x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 353x500
I'm late to the party, was the consensus that this didn't make any sense?
>>
It's a whodunnit that tried too hard to make sure nobody knewwhodunnit.
>>
>>135556757
The mystery itself is pretty decent and well explained, only thing lacking is better motivations. What I would classify as "nonsensical" is some of the pretentious philosophical shit.
>>
>>135556757
>was the consensus that this didn't make any sense?
Of course not because everything makes sense.
It's not even hard to follow.
>>
There was a party?
>>
>>135556757
I knew what happened after a few eps.

Well I didnt call the child, but I suspected a family double was used.
>>
>>135556853
>>135556903
I guess the main thing I'm struggling with is the sister, Miki, not existing.
>>
The shit with the sensory deprivation pods was silly.

Magata Shiki was a batshit evil woman

Moe was sort of moe.

Sensei should skip around from place to place. ALWAYS SKIPPING WITH SERIOUSNESS.
>>
>>135556964
Why are you struggling with the idea that someone could make up the existance of a distant relative?
Miki was supposed to be Magata's younger sister, but she's also supposed to have been living abroad with "relatives" basically having no contact with whoever was left in Japan after the murder of Magata's parents.
>>
>>135557104
I don't understand why everyone thought Miki existed. I don't understand why no one knew that Miki didn't exist. I don't understand why the director went to pick up a sister that didn't exist.
>>
>>135556786
Well said.
>>
>>135556786
I hate these. Guess it won't be for me.
>>
>>135557212
>I don't understand why everyone thought Miki existed.
Obviously someone lied about it. Probably the director.

>I don't understand why no one knew that Miki didn't exist.
Because her existence wasn't public knowledge. She lived in America all her life and Magata's parents being murdered contributed to that.

>I don't understand why the director went to pick up a sister that didn't exist.
He's in on it or Magata fooled him into doing it.

In the live action drama it is said that Miki actually exists but is still in America. But that raises the same kind of questions with the same kind of answers, so it doesn't really matter if she exists or not.
Not sure what the book said.
>>
>>135557418

The only way the director could be in on it is if they planned it 15 years earlier, and that would be too silly.
>>
>>135557418
Miki existing but nobody knowing how she looks makes much more believable that nobody was suspicious about it, especially the Director's wife and the police.
>>
>>135556964
Neither of the MCs had heard of her before and she showed up just after the "escape". I suspected her from the beginning.

Really, what caught me, was that the solution was a combo of about 4-5 different theories I had. I figured there was 1 big twist, not a giant clusterfuck of multiple twists.

Overall, I think the biggest issue was that I never felt I fully trusted the competency of the detective. Sensei just didn't see to investigate shit thoroughly enough. I wanted him to dissect that fucking corpse from the moment it showed up but no one ever even examined it. I honestly didn't believe it was a real corpse.
>>
It did. It was just a poor anime in general. In fact it wasn't much of an anime in at all. The visual direction lacked any purpose. I know this is based on a book but there are book adaptations which aim to created sense of being a show in which the visual aspect is a vital part.

With Perfect Insider you could basically read the subtitles and get as much out of it. Maybe besides the pretty opening.
>>
>>135557605
>The only way the director could be in on it is if they planned it 15 years earlier

No, there's plenty other ways. Magata is still able to talk to the director, be it via mail or video conference.
And he knows she is raising their child in there, so if she asks him to go pick up her little sister with his helicopter at a certain date, he has enough information at his dispostion to understand that this is a plan and go along with it, spreading the lie about Miki's existence beforehand.

That's just an example of course, could have went many other ways.
>>
Everything about this was shit besides the opening
>>
>>135557799
I really disagree, the show's visuals are great and have purpose.
Just because you didn't find one doesn't mean there isn't.
>>
I guarantee that within 3 years this show will be paraded about on /a/ as a good deep show, in the same category as Lain or Kaiba.
>>
>>135558063
It's not a deep show like Lain or Kaiba.

I guarantee that it will be paraded as a good detective show like Un-go or Mouryou no hako.
>>
>>135556757
The main character and his sidekick were the most boring excuses for detectives I've ever seen.

It seemed like the author wanted you to feel sympathy for Magata Shiki, but she came across as a complete sociopath.

The flashbacks that told the story of Magata seducing her uncle were more interesting than the main plot of the show.

I liked the visuals and music, but they couldn't make up for the source material.
>>
>>135557933
Ok, so give some examples.
>>
>>135558174
Fine.
First, plenty of the clues used to solve the mystery are only given visualy, or given visualy at first then revealed episodes later in the dialogue.
The elevator going to the roof, plenty of stuff in Magata's room, Miki leaving the island.

Next, plenty is conveyed in the characters body language or small details in their clothes/accessories. Sensei's fashion sense, Moe's personalized luggage, when they all wear gloves when they explore Magata's room (no one says "don't forget your gloves so we don't leave fingerprints for the police later")

Then there's the show's use of colors, everything is often very dull and grey with very obvious exceptions which lead the more impact when colors is used. Strong reds of the blood/wine/strawberry jam, multiple purple dresses, colors of the sky at night/dawn.

Also lots of colors and meaningful visuals during the sensory deprivation pod sequences.

To finish, here's a cool video about one specific aspect of the show's visual direction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm6byKb6XVQ
>>
The general mystery was OK and I think it was pretty easy to guess generally what happened at least halfway through the series, if not earlier. The entire pregnancy thing seemed obvious when they showed her boning her uncle and made a point to say nobody else could enter the room.
As others have said, the motivation seems completely asinine and basically impossible to guess. The pretentious philosophy was a huge detractor to what could have been an otherwise interesting mystery.
>>
>>135558863

It's only pretentious to you because it's over your head. That philosophy is one of the major points of the show from the beginning.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.