[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ghibli appreciation thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
So pic related was airing in tv over here just now and I caught it by chance.
I watched most ghibli films, but they were all some kind of fairy tale, with a happy-bittersweet ending. This on was depressing as hell. Don't take me wrong, it was great and me expecting something cutesy just added to its punch.
What did /a/ think of it?
Which one is your fave ghibli?
>>
>>135344085
I didn't think much of Grave of the Fireflies. I found it pretty meh.

Watched Marnie a few days ago and loved it; it's now my favorite Ghibli film.
>>
File: Porco.png (768 KB, 1280x688) Image search: [Google]
Porco.png
768 KB, 1280x688
>>135344085
I watched Porco Rosso on tv when I was little. It was my favorite Ghibli movie since then. I finally found my country's dub, and I was just gonna rewatch it.
>>
I really liked Ocean Waves and Only Yesterday. Most Ghibli films have a pretty overt moral message to them, which I find a bit obnoxious at times.

Only Yesterday was a masterpiece, though. Did a great job capturing the feeling of nostalgia. The art was also great.
>>
>>135344085
It's my favorite tragedy. (Or at least, I could never really relate to the more romantic tragedies.)

You should watch the subbed version if you get a chance, since they cast an actual 5-year-old as the Japanese VA for Setsuko. The English VAs for both English dubs were much older.

I can't really play favorites with Ghibli films. Most of what I've watched so far, I've liked, and I would watch again. The only exception has been Ponyo on the Cliff, it felt less coherent toward the end.
>>
File: San_and_Moro.jpg (232 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
San_and_Moro.jpg
232 KB, 1024x768
>>135344239
It was weird how it felt like it had no ending, kinda just stopped. Was probably intentional tho.
>>135344319
Anime rarely gets any dubs in my country, so it always feels nice when I randomly see one.
>>135344320
I know what you mean. Their message could be told in like 2 sentences, yet they make full-length movies about them. Part of the charm imho.
>>
>>135344239
I think if I actually watched Grave of the Fireflies when I was starting to watch anime/read manga, I'd have liked it a lot more.

But it was disappointing for me as well.

Basically, what I expected:
>war sucks
what I got:
>teenagers suck
>>
Whisper of the Heart, Some real good shit. A beautifully executed story with some emotional characters.

Arietty is complete garbage.
>>
>>135344085
>watches movie well-known for following a sad-as-fuck book
>gets surprised it is sad as fuck
>B-b-but aren't cartoons for children?
OP is a faggot. Nothing new to see here.
>>
>>135346919
I don't really do research on anime before watching them. I hear something's good, put it on the list, then watch it sometime. I just learned this one followed a sad-as-fuck book, shame on me, but thanks for the info.
Ghibli films are on kind of a special list. I watch one every now and then with the goal of seeing them all eventually, without rushing. They deserve that much...
Ain't even mad or anything,but at least don't assume I consider them cartoons for children. Go ahead with the faggot tho, not gonna deny that one.
>>
Top 3 shitty Miyazaki's films:
1. Howl's Moving Castle
2. Ponyo
3. Kiki's Delivery Service
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.