[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do the Japanese believe that virginity is evil? I have seen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2
File: evil virginity cultural trait.jpg (1 MB, 2880x1800) Image search: [Google]
evil virginity cultural trait.jpg
1 MB, 2880x1800
Do the Japanese believe that virginity is evil?

I have seen this sentiment in multiple animes (not just ones that are pandering to young guys) and in Owari no Seraph they say it straight out. See pic related.
>>
Gotta get those birth rates up.
>>
>>135160003
fuck off redditor
>>
>>135160049
>>135160054

This isn't a joke thread; I have seen negative sentiment towards virginity in quite a few different animes. Examples of note are Ouran Host Club (subtle hints), Samurai Flamenco, and Elfen Lied.

It doesn't make sense to me that manga-ka and anime producers would allow the "make fun of virgins" sentiment into a product that is marketed mainly to young males and hikkomori types. Do you see where my question stems from?
>>
>>135160003
You think that doesn't exist in western media?
>>
>>135160356
Oh it def does, out the wazoo. Just look at big bang theory...it is practically the lowest common denominator of every single joke in that show.

I am asking specifically about Japanese culture and expression in anime (mostly because they don't have the puritan view of sex that moved from the catholics->anglicans->protestants and has buried itself in foundations of western culture).
>>
>>135160403
They used to have a way more puritan view about it, you know, families and oftentimes feudal lords all used maidens as leverage for trust deals.

Recently (its societal rejection) isn't as prominent on everyday relations because they are a post feminism society, both males and females devote their lives to work and its high consumerist lifestyle approves for people to use all kinds of markets as stress relief.

Virgin rejection used to be related to "creepiness factor" of behaviours which usually follow lack of human interaction until the frugal men movement hit off not so long ago.
>>
>>135161254
>Recently (it's societal rejection)

This is interesting to me. Has the puritanical ideology that was built into Japanese culture (and is portrayed in their art) faded away, or has societal rejection just pulled the rug out from under those who would hold those ideals and then mask them from the public/international eye?

Also, you mention that the "creepiness factor" was indeed an ideal of the past...what do you ascribe the seeming virgin = bad ideal to now that the culture has transitioned into the so-called "frugal men movement?"
>>
>>135160003
I don't get it either. Girls are supposed to be pure maidens and men are demonized for being a virgin

Are men supposed to fuck other men or what am I missing here?
>>
>>135162327
>Are men supposed to fuck other men or what am I missing here?

Honestly, that is part of why I made this thread. I'm as homo as they come and I have been wondering about this situation in Japan for years...when I see it brought up in anime, it always rings a bell. I really, truly want to get information from another source that has either lived in Japan or who works in production. I don't think it is a topic that one could email an anime studio about, though.
>>
>>135160003
Owari is post-apoc, so if you're not restoring population numbers you're doing it wrong.

In more mundane contexts, virginity is usually seen as a good thing for girls (because muh purity) and a bad thing for boys (muh kissless doutei). Yay for double standards, I guess.
>>
From my point of view the virgins are evil.
>>
>>135162462
The you are lost
>>
>>135162462
then you are lost
>>
>>135162371
Same thing happens in the west to a degree. It's hardly unique to Japan.
>>
>>135162462
then you are loss
>>
>animes
>>
>>135162462
then you are lost
>>
>>135162462
>>135162516
>>135162518
>>135162549
>>135162611
Fuck off back to >>>/tv/
>>
>>135162262
First is interwoven on our current paradigm of the outlier "fringe" otaku (everyone not on the mainstream or readily accessible material), waifuism is a real thing after all.

Second is a hard topic since both the frugal men movement is currently developing and the upcoming openness of potential western market (and its societal consequences) have unforseen results as of now, although censorship of akihabara related areas and some niche aspects of entertainment can be seen already.

Japan is currently amidst yet another societal revolution so its too soon to judge how current media portrays such conflicting values.

In case the thread dies, read about the post woman labor society in Japan, the culture of cute, escapism as industry and the development of the niche otaku market, the frugal men movement and Japanese family decline (not the birthrates one, the lack of family as institution).

And do yourself a favor trying to avoid Vice and western clickbait media as much as possible, as they make the most slanderous and outright wrong misconceptions and sell them as facts.
I know its a hard and somewhat tiring research, but Japanese media specially is all about the context.
>>
>>135160003
>animes

Give it up - you've been ousted by your vulgar normie vocabulary.
>>
>>135162406
>Owari is post-apoc, so if you're not restoring population numbers you're doing it wrong.

Good point. I took it out of context there. Flamenco doesn't really have that issue, neither does Ouran...What does doutei mean? I can't find a translation (it is slang?).

>>135162567
>>135162713

anime* Sorry.

>>135162670
How many Japanese people are actually knowledgeable or aware of otaku/hikkomori or waifuism culture though? In the west, it is quite rare for someone to know these terms or to be acquainted with them. 4chan is a strange bubble.

I will read up on the topics you posted (and I will continue to avoid clickbait and Vice hah). Much appreciated.
>>
I haven't seen anything like it recently but I guess this must be the kind of thread that purityfags are always ranting about.

It seems to me OP is just a bit of a newfag. This thread certainly isn't as bad as some of the shit we deal with anyways
>>
>>135162713
>normie
>>>/r9k/
>>
>animes

And in multiple posts! I really am disappointed in you, /a/ clearly isn't where you belong.
>>
>>135163156
OP here...I went on an anime haitus back when FMA was getting big (chrono crusade & gungrave was also hitting the scene in the USA). It was about 10 years until I started watching anime again (thank you for saving me Korbo, I love you forever).

I've been catching up slowly, but I wanted to ask for a little bit of insight into this strange phenomenon of shaming virgins. I hope this thread can be informative to more than just me.

>>135163191
Well, maybe I added an -s or two to make sure that I got a reply...
>>
>>135160003
so shinoa got fucked?
>>
>>135163263
She got cocked since yuu and the gay vampire is now canon.
just kidding anon
>>
For the same reason they shame virgins everywhere else. If you're 18+ and a virgin it's safe to say that you lack social skills, which makes you weird and gross
>>
>>135160049
That actually makes sense.
>>
>>135160003
Japanese here and I always thought Virginia and West Virginia sound awkward.
>>
>>135163491
>Virginia and West Virginia
It's okay my nip bro, us non Americans/Brits probably all think it's weird.
>>
>>135160003
>she is part of organization that potrays situation that says humanity is fucked
>they want more soldiers
Gee, I wonder why she says virgnity is bad in that case?
>>
>>135163491
Did you know that people in virginia and west virginia are more likely to be incestual with their brothers/sisters than any other state?
>>
>>135163491
They were named back when virginity was still really important for girls
>>
>>135163085
Doutei means male virgin, possibly males that haven't inserted their penis into a vagina or anus.
Going by this definition, a fag experiencing anal sex but were dicked rather than dicking, they're still a doutei.
>>
>>135163855
Thank you, anon.
>>
>>135160403
>I am asking specifically about Japanese culture
When you've already established that it's the same everywhere else?
>>
>>135164354
>When you've already established that it's the same everywhere else?

I am only differentiating Japanese culture because the niche art form of anime (which is an international niche, as of modern day) has condoned the "virgin shaming" ideal. I can't think of another "niche media" from any country that I am familiar with that does the same.

Do you see why this question holds some merit, and why I am asking you?
>>
>>135163491
> Pilgrims discover "new world"
> Name it "the virgin land"
Learn some american history, nukechild.
>>
>>135164398
>I am only differentiating Japanese culture because the niche art form of anime (which is an international niche, as of modern day) has condoned the "virgin shaming" ideal
Since when?
>>
Yes. Animes are an accurate representation of eastern culture. They also practice handsigns during train rides and all the girls want your dick
>>
File: 1395300213818.png (79 KB, 415x305) Image search: [Google]
1395300213818.png
79 KB, 415x305
>>135164468
>Pilgrims discover "new world"
>>
>>135164527
I'm talking about the "virgin shame" ideal in terms of media. Anime is a niche media from japan and it showcases the "virgin shame" ideal frequently.

There are very few other internationally recognized niche medias...I am wondering why Japan has taken the dogma of the "unheard of and unspeakable virgin" to heart.
>>
>>135160003
Birth Rates and such and such.
>>
It's been a while since I've seen an OP this stupid.
>>
>>135164574
Only edgy and bitchy characters shame it in anime. It shows the values of bitches and edgelords, not society's values.
>>
Actual discussion on my /a/?!?!

What is going on here
>>
>>135164574
There's still no reason to separate this from everything else when it's the same everywhere. You only have a point if they have actually done it differently from every other media. Otherwise, your answer is simply because it's not as niche as you believe.
>>
>>135160102
Because fuck you shutins
>>
>>135162406
>Yay for double standards, I guess.

That only applies to things that are the same, men and women are different. Biologically women are supposed to be very picky since they can only give birth to one man's children at a time, while men are able to spread their seed. Women are to pick the best and men are supposed to be the best. Polygamy arises naturally, monogamy is more enforced by society than nature.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.