[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it that people only watch anime and don't read manga
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 16
File: 342534545.jpg (41 KB, 608x433) Image search: [Google]
342534545.jpg
41 KB, 608x433
Why is it that people only watch anime and don't read manga and vice-versa?
>>
Normies only watch anime.
>>
File: 1441717153191.jpg (31 KB, 372x351) Image search: [Google]
1441717153191.jpg
31 KB, 372x351
>>134876681
>enjoying the same story twice
>>
I do both
>>
The former is because most people get their introduction to Japanese media on TV, and anime is generally more accessible. People are also retarded and like flashy colours better than black and white.

The latter is because they value their time and don't want to waste it on slower paced, inferior adaptions or adaptions of shitty mediums like LNs and VNs. There is more than enough good manga out there to completely replace anime.
>>
Because anime sucks.
>>
>>134876681
I like the atmosphere music, voices and sound in general create.
I also am very bad at imagining movement and figuring out what's actually happening so I prefer Anime over Manga.
Nonetheless I currently am reading 4 manga right now and I must say I'm enjoying them.
>>
Read manga when I was a teen. Now I just watch anime.
>>
I'm too lazy to read Manga.
I'm not even kidding.

Having to slightly zoom in on a page and scroll down as I read every page is too much work.
>>
I prefer anime to manga because I don't like to read.
>>
>>134876681
I got into anime because I like animation.
>>
>>134876928
>Having to slightly zoom in on a page and scroll down as I read every page is too much work.
Get a bigger monitor sempai, or better glasses.
>>
>>134876928
>not having a tablet
It's 2015
>>
I hate anime because unless it was anime first the pacing is god awful, animation varies in quality depending on the series, and its a longer time commitment.
>>
Anime is more accessible and has sound, colors and moving pictures which is more stimulating.
>>
>>134876681

>implying
>>
>>134876681
People who wont read manga, and like anime is because they like the animation, voice acting, music, and not having to read.

People that don't like anime, but like manga often prefer the original source material, better pacing often, not having to deal with QUALITY, and can read at their own pace.

I prefer Manga, can't watch anime. If anime had better animation, and was more original with less moe stuff, I would watch it more. Just my opinion though.
>>
File: 1430013052556.png (1 MB, 653x983) Image search: [Google]
1430013052556.png
1 MB, 653x983
>>134876681
>Why is it that people only watch anime and don't read manga

Because people are lazy for read printed or think mangas is childish because the big eyes or only read "mature" literature (game of thrones, hunger games, etc)

>vice-versa

You hear /a/ complain 24/7 about how the anime adaptations are inferior to the source material (manga/LN, etc)
>>
>>134876681
Anime is more mainstream and on /a/ is basically pleb-tier. Notice how a lot of adaptations of manga become extremely popular and attract a lot of crossboarders, newfags and retards. On /a/, manga readers are the elite. Manga readers watch anime too but they won't admit it because they don't want to be associated with anime watchers.
>>
>>134877185
/a/s elitism died the day moot allowed BELIEVE IT threads on this board.
Not even kidding.
>>
>>134876928
>I'm not even kidding.
What makes you think that being to lazy to read is something unusual?
>>
File: screenshot.4.jpg (365 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.4.jpg
365 KB, 1366x768
Be mangafag is really expensive: any random manga volumen is $11 US; meanwhile many, many posters on /a/ are high schoolers/college kids of zero income.
>>
>>134877330
*too lazy
goddammit, I make that mistake too (almost made it again) often lately.
>>
>>134876681
Reading is (and always will be) for nerds.
>>
>>134876681
Because the last time I read the manga before watching the anime was Usagi Drop. Though now I think about it, it probably would of been worse if I had watched the anime.
>>
>>134877261
/a/ is still one of the more elitist boards. Only really surpassed by /mu/
>>
>>134876681
I read manga more than I watch anime because when I download stuff I always forget to finish it. With manga I leave a few tabs on batoto or Kissmanga open in my browser and knock off a chapter or two whenever I feel like it, but with anime you basically have to download it to avoid the shit quality of streaming sites and I end up forgetting to watch it while it sits in a folder in my downloads.
>>
>>134877182
Who the fuck thinks the hunger games are mature?
>>
>>134877506
/mu/ is also stuck in a bubble of only sticking with the same 100 or so albums that are unanimously liked by the board. /a/ has better variation of people who like different things.

A good example is that /a/ has people that only read manga or watch anime.
>>
>>134877398
that expensive?
What do you mean by random? those small 150 to 200 page manga are about 6 or 7 Euro here

>>134877599
Same reason why people think game of thrones is mature. Simply by killing off characters who had a bit of a relevance to the story.
>>
>>134877398
But somehow they have the money for 60€ per 2 episodes BDs?
Manga is cheaper if you are a buyfag and if you are not both is free, your argument is nonexistent
>>
>>134877398
>$11 US
Fuck, here in Europe a volume is about €5.
>>
>>134878106
Are you retarded?
If they are too young to buy manga then they can download or even stream it, just like they to with anime, what are you even trying to say?
>>
>>134878147
>Europe a volume is about €5.

Which Europe
>>
>>134877810
>Same reason why people think game of thrones is mature. Simply by killing off characters who had a bit of a relevance to the story.

So just like your average anime and manga enthusiast.
>>
>>134877941
Your english is horrible, so you don't get an opinion about the US shithead.
>>
>>134876681
>vice-versa

That's definitely not the case OP. I've never seen someone who has access to anime limit themselves to manga.
>>
>>134876787
Shit's like you don't understand what our Japanese brothers do to keep the industry afloat.
It's going to hit a collapse pretty soon.
>>
lol its not even 1 $ here
kek
>>
File: queen.png (212 KB, 500x383) Image search: [Google]
queen.png
212 KB, 500x383
>>134876681

American dont like mangas because always have cute girls in covers.
Euro dont have this prejudice.
>>
File: 1372646747211.jpg (27 KB, 401x401) Image search: [Google]
1372646747211.jpg
27 KB, 401x401
I can watch 99% of all anime that airs without any trouble.

I can read maybe 5% of all manga with any success; most never gets scanned, most of the shit that is scanned never gets translated, most of what is translated is delayed/dropped/held hostage constantly.
>>
File: jojo part 9.jpg (161 KB, 800x1179) Image search: [Google]
jojo part 9.jpg
161 KB, 800x1179
>>134877941
" I don't know what seinen is"
>>
I really like manga but getting into it feels a task. I do read a little bit, but not as much as I would like to. In comparing anime just feels easier to get into.
I guess the long waiting time between chapters/volumes/scanlations just puts me off a bit.

The only thing I do read frantically is romance manga, but that's because there's no equivalent for the type that I like in anime. I do love it, though. I wish I had the same enthusiasm to follow manga from other genres as well.
In the end I just tend to read the popular, well recognized series that /a/ likes like Punpun and I am a Hero. But most of the time I tend not to be up to date with them, even though I really enjoy them.
>>
>>134878230
Italy
>>
>>134878147
Also Austria
>>
>>134877941
Now look at the most popular anime and realize how retarded you sound.
>>
>>134878791
meant for
>>134878230
>>
I choose anime over manga for a multitude of reasons. When I read I prefer physical copies of books when I can and I can't afford that much manga. When I am in the mood for manga there are too many pop up ads for the websites I use and I don't torrent. Plus, it's fucking reading, I didn't go to college to read.
>>
I watch original anime.

But why would I waste time watching adaptations of something I've already read in Manga? In almost every case the Manga is better than its anime counterpart anyway.
>>
>>134878866
>too many pop up ads
Use an ad blocker retard

Confirmed that anime only are terrible people with low IQs who prefer adaptations instead of original works.
>>
>>134878866
>not having an ereader
>streaming manga
>not blocking ads
Fuck normalfags.
>>
File: 0DC1662C.png (532 KB, 1300x1749) Image search: [Google]
0DC1662C.png
532 KB, 1300x1749
VN > Manga > Anime.
Haven't transcended to LN yet. I enjoy voice acting too much.
>>
>>134878866
You're supposed to download manga from the scanlator's website.
>>
>>134878368
This. My problem with manga is the timespan. Even if something's as fast as a weekly release I lose so many details along the way because it runs so long.
>>
I'm following about 15 different manga right now and I always pick up new shows every season. I really got into manga when they had those huge Shonen Jump books back in the early 2000's. Obviously Toonami/Adult Swim got me into anime around the same time and too this day I love both. They both have their pro's and con's so why not consume both media for a more rounded perspective.
>>
I got into anime because I like animation and sound. For this reason I don't read much manga.
>>
File: 18.png (1 MB, 1452x2145) Image search: [Google]
18.png
1 MB, 1452x2145
I've watched less and less anime over the last 3 or 4 years, this season I only picked up two series and I haven't finished or kept up with either of them. On the other hand the number of series I'm following or reading keep increasing.

The economic pressures put on anime mean that manga is typically less restrained, there are manga that wouldn't ever be financially viable as anime and just wouldn't exist.

Also I'm finding anime to look increasingly dull and childish compared to the broader range of manga's art, I don't like how much of it is CGI these days and the fact it's starting to look childish and overblown is probably due to the fact I'm getting older. Of course there are exceptions, I still watch completed series from time to time when I find one that suits me and there have been a few good new anime aired this year.
>>
>>134879158
This is stupid as fuck, there are so many completed, scanlated series out there that you would have to consider yourself a manga reader if you even read a fraction of them.
>>
>>134879468
I mean if reading a handful of completed manga a year makes me a manga reader than I'll take it, but I figured that's not really the case by /a/ standards.
>>
>>134879820
As long as you read man.

You'd be surprised how many people won't touch manga due to stuff like
>reading
>>
>>134876816
I think you're biased.
I agree with you though
>>
>>134876759
>normies
Get the fuck out.
>>
>>134877182
>mangas
>>
File: 1367288872054.png (138 KB, 545x295) Image search: [Google]
1367288872054.png
138 KB, 545x295
It's real simple

Animefags = INSTANT GRATIFICATION FLASHING COLORS BAD POP SONGS THE SAME HANDFUL OF VOICE ACTORS SHORT ATTENTIONSPAN ECCHI HAREM BATTLE SLICE OF LIFE

Manga fans = Appreciates art, story, pacing, characterization, attention to detail and enjoys the wide range of topics and genres that manga covers
>>
I read manga because it's easier to schedule and faster to finish. Not to mention the fact that the stories are much more interesting and there's no much point in watching sub-par adaptations (because that's all anime ends up being).
>>
I personally just don't have the attention span for anime. Which is weird because I can binge read manga like a mf, but I'll only watch an anime if it's an original, the animation + OST is really good or if I just want to know what my waifus sound like. Nothing wrong with anime, but it's the OST and the animation that wins me over because otherwise I just cba to sit still and watch.
>>
There are a lot more interesting stories in manga. It's a low cost medium so you actually have series made by one guy who just wants to take risks and write something interesting. Anime is expensive so a lot of it is produced by committee and used as a marketing tool for some LN to get guaranteed sales.
>>
>>134880265
My bf on the other hand can't read manga because they don't have the time and aren't very patient with long running manga. She also gets migraines from action-packed pages or smth, fucks me off because she refuses to read Berserk and Tokyo Ghoul because of them.
>>
>>134879164
>15
>>
>>134880075
>oversimplification
Not entirely wrong but clearly exaggerated for the sake of bait.
>>
>>134880265
>>134880337
Why don't you go write your blog on reddit where you belong?
>>
>>134880430
Why does everything have to be for the sake of bait? Why not for the sake of vanity? Why not for the sake of argument or discussion? Why not because his mother told him to?
>>
Manga offer different possibilities. A recent example of this is HxH CA arc: in the manga I loved how everything was in slow motion and the overdetailed explanations of the narrator for every character's actions and thoughts; in the anime it was just painful, and there was no other way to adapt the arc without ruining it.
>>
File: 1441321653762.png (473 KB, 660x720) Image search: [Google]
1441321653762.png
473 KB, 660x720
>>134876681
My biggest problem with manga is that it's insecure.

When the new season starts and new anime starts airing, if the anime was picked up by one of the organizations that HS rips from, you can rest easy knowing that the entirety of the anime will be subbed and you'll be able to watch all of it.
When you're watching older anime, you can find torrents that contain the entirety of the anime, which means that you'll be able to watch all of it, since it's been subbed in its entirety.

Manga doesn't have that kind of "guarantee". You never know when the scanlators will drop a manga, or when they'll start slacking and fall behind a lot, or when you'll get situations like Boku Girl where no one typesets it anymore so you only have to go by those inconvenient live translation threads, etc. That's why I generally dislike picking up non-finished manga, because I never know if I'll be able to actually finish it.

And yes, I am aware that I'm being hypocritical here since most anime are "unfinished" manga/LN adaptations. But those anime adaptations are generally self-contained story arcs, so even if it ends with "and our adventure has only begun!" note, at least that's a better ending point that to suddenly get no more new chapters in the middle of a story arc.
>>
>>134881468
>talk about older anime
>conveniently ignore older manga that most certainly have already been completely translated
Don't blame others for your own ignorance of the medium.
>>
>>134882092
He's a tripfag posting k-on. Of course he's an idiot.
>>
File: 1449964861285.jpg (102 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
1449964861285.jpg
102 KB, 500x600
>>134882092
>>134882352
I did specifically state that I generally dislike picking up non-finished manga, which should imply that I don't generally dislike picking up finished manga.
>>
>>134876681
if there was a manga only board I'd probably go on it instead of /a/, even though I don't read as much
>>
Anime is too slow for me. I can read things so much faster.
>>
>>134883433
Sequential art board, when?
>>
File: Shut Hell v04 c23 - 006-007.jpg (811 KB, 2240x1273) Image search: [Google]
Shut Hell v04 c23 - 006-007.jpg
811 KB, 2240x1273
>>134876681
Why would I sacrifice color, motion fluidity, versability in terms of shot usage and composition, soundtracks and voice-acting.

I can understand people liking books over films or animation (and vice versa) because those are a completely experience. But animation has everything that comic books have plus more.

Only cases are with manga that have higly detailed art, then you just can't transfer it to animation without loss of fluidity. Like manga by Nihei o Inio. But those don't get adaptations anyhow so there's no choice anyways.
>>
>>134878988
Most of the best works in anime are original anime.
>>
>>134877810
>>134878147
Europe licenses a lot of Manga.

There are also fixed Book Price Agreements.
>>
>>134884344
>this is what millennials actually think
>>
>>134880518
It's because on 4chan, there are no jokes, or different opinions or anything other than facts and bait. If you agree with an opinion, it's a fact. If you disagree with an opinion, it's bait.
>>
>>134882589
Except that means your 'insecure' argument as being complete bullshit. If you 'don't generally dislike picking up finished manga' then there shouldn't be an issue at all since there's a shit ton of manga available. Keep shifting the goal post, faggot. You're just an ignorant faggot who knows less than you think you do.
>>
>>134884468
Yeah, I'm probably older then you, but whatever. Just give me an argument instead of spouting buzzwords. If I want to read and I want a good narrative and prose, books will always be better. If I want to dive into visual media, animation beats comic books. It's like comparing photo albums to cinema.
>>
>>134876681
I do both?

That said I do prefer manga overall, usually much more detailed and often far more lewd. I won't even touch dubbed anime to be honest, American dubbing is hilariously bad.

I'm sure Japanese dubbing is just as bad but I can't understand it so fuck if I care.
>>
>>134884344
>>134884900
Sequential art is a valid media form that presents a form of expression not found in any other medium. The fusion of text, art, expression of motion, paneling, color or screentone, usage of visual angles and perspective are blended in a totally unique fashion not found in any other medium. You can like anime all you want, but to think that animation is somehow inherently superior to comics is the equivalent of saying videos are artistically superior to paintings. Which means you're retarded btw
>>
>>134883819
The whole board would just be a war between /a/ and /co/.
>>
>>134885013
Sorry to say, but you do care.
>>
>watch anime, like it
>anime ends, threads become manga generals
>they're complete cancer filled with dumblr
Every time. So I tried reading manga before the anime aired, the threads are chill as fuck, but I no longer feel like watching the upcoming anime. Either way it feels like losing but I think I'll stick to reading manga because adaptations often fail anyway
>>
It's annoying how many people by default assume the source material is sacred and any attempts to improve upon it tarnish the author's original vision. Some lone hikki chinaman who writes 4koma or LNs is not some great genius artist. There are plenty of superior adaptations. If the story is unchanged then motion, sound, color, acting, & music outweighs more detailed line art. The actual advantage of printed media is its unparalleled ability for distribution.

Another thing I find delusional about readers in general is when the actor doesn't match what was in your head you'll chimp out—ignoring the fact that a trained career actor is far more qualified to bring that character to life than someone with zero acting experience killing their brain cells on entertainment. After I thought about that I was humble enough to acknowledge my imagination is limited by my education.
>>
>>134885116
No, because video games have gameplay, they're a totally different medium. It's like comparing books and film. You can't really compare a medium in which one has a defining aspect that doesn't exist at all in the other. How can I compare the gameplay of Ico games to Coppola movies?

Both comic books and animation are limited to the visual aspect and narrative aspect. The only element that comic books have as apposed to animation that you mentione is the inclusion of text and paneling (though both can exist in animation or are replaced by other elements like voice acting an shot composition respectively).

If you want to prove your point that give me a title that has a both comic book and anime adaptation. Now show my how it works in the better as a comic book. Not talking about stuff like badly adapted or buthered storylines, or anime with poor animation/art design quality. One where the visual components of each medium are utilized well in their confines, yet still the manga comes off as better because of the medium itself.
>>
>>134885631
>No, because video games
Videos = video games?

Post discarded, lrn2read
>>
>>134885720
Feels good to win.
>>
>>134876681
We, uh, don't?

Anime/Manga/WN/LN/Novel/Live Action/Music/Concerts/Clubs, it's all out there and all enjoyable.

Fuck off.
>>
>>134880498
did I upset you somehow anon?
>>
Manga is faster and the art is usually better.
I seldomly watch an anime adaptation unless it's been praised to the ends of the earth or its something I'd read again.
>>
>>134876681
But I do both
>>
File: img000028.png (255 KB, 923x364) Image search: [Google]
img000028.png
255 KB, 923x364
>>134879408
>Dungeon Meshi

North American release when
>>
>all these EOPs
>>
People watch anime but don't read manga because they need animation, voices, color etc to give a shit

People who read manga but don't watch anime already know the story, characters, direction etc and don't need to watch source material get butchered
>>
>>134876681
Isn't anime just an entryway drug into manga and LNs?

I think its safe to assume that people who watch anime exclusively only watched a few mainstream shows
>>
File: 5nic1v58.png (207 KB, 458x634) Image search: [Google]
5nic1v58.png
207 KB, 458x634
>>134888979
This is one series that I could definitely see getting an English release eventually. However, I plan on buying the original releases since I'm already reading scanlations for it.
>>
>reading manga
>watching anime
>not consuming superior LN content

Step it up, senpais.
>>
>>134889838
Might as well read a book, LNs are only good if its a self-insert gary stu of some kind, and people don't enjoy even that
>>
>>134889722
>entryway drug
really now
But yeah, unless you're a fucking normalfag/newfag/mainstreamfag/whatever, you'd be enjoying both and possibly more(VNs, LNs, etc.)
>>
>>134889838
Which ones are better for Spice and Wolf: the LNs or the manga? I'm tempted to read both, but I feel like experiencing the same story multiple times might cheapen it overall for me, so I'd rather limit myself just to one of them.
>>
>i don't like reading
Dubfags are really the worst
>>
>>134890313
LNs. Hasekura's set up and execution gets kind of predictable after a while though, so personally I stopped reading after volume 10. The stories themselves are alright though. The first three and the first side story collection are probably the best of the series (unless the final arc does a 180 in quality) but are already covered by the anime.
>>
Anime and LNs
I hate how manga go into hiatus or end brutally for commercial reasons.
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.