[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do I hate this show as much as I do, /a/? It seems superficially
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3
File: fuckthis.jpg (45 KB, 670x437) Image search: [Google]
fuckthis.jpg
45 KB, 670x437
Why do I hate this show as much as I do, /a/? It seems superficially cool, pretty, and has a lot of underlying meaning... but something about it fills me with such a deep and abiding loathing that a weight rises up in my chest and my teeth grit with distaste. I don't know, maybe it's that the show is so focused on building a world that I find stupid, or the fact that all of the characters seem to fall flat to the point where it feels like literally everyone deserves to die. Something in me can't help but feel "this show doesn't deserve to exist."

What do you think?
>>
>>134838632
I think you should return to blogspot.
>>
>>134838632
>all of the characters seem to fall flat
Remember the environment in which they all grew up.
>>
>>134839626

Yeah, I know. Childhood dehumanization and whathaveyou.

Still can't sympathize with them.
>>
It's apparently a huge hit or miss.
Personally it's probably my favorite anime because of the storytelling
>>
>>134838632
I think you didn't like it because you connected with it and that scared you
>>
>>134839782

Tell me what I connected with, Anon. Pretentious bonobo sexuality fanservice? Squealer? Gun control/nuclear power subtext?
>>
>>134839856
Ah, I get it now
Your real issue was the fact that you're a /pol/ brand zealot
Congrats on being a fucking dunce
>>
>>134838632
I think you simply hate gays.
>>
>>134838632
i think you're a faggot
S&R Mesure for you
>>
>>134838632
The characters are boring because they're boring normal people who have free will. That doesn't make them interesting.
>>
File: 1448027415664.jpg (72 KB, 577x631) Image search: [Google]
1448027415664.jpg
72 KB, 577x631
>>134839856
>Pretentious bonobo sexuality fanservice? Squealer? Gun control/nuclear power subtext?
>>
File: dsds.jpg (9 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
dsds.jpg
9 KB, 300x168
>>134838632
Why does Saki deserve to die?
>>
>>134839929

But I'm actually a liberal and I think /pol/ is nutty.
>>
>>134839963
It's funny because I loved the show and thought the fact that they felt so normal was really interesting
>>
>>134840057
>continues pushing ideology as a response
stop looking for politics in your anime and you'll enjoy more of it
>>
>>134840110

I earnestly don't actually have any problem with any perceived politics in the show and didn't even think about it until >>134839782. Personal politics in entertainment tends to turn out stupid, it's better to base things on philosophy. I thought the subtext, that Cantus was a power limited to an upper caste and the world couldn't really be equal until everyone had it or nobody had it was self-evident. Maybe you should stop looking for politics in your conversations, bro.
>>
would have been better if Saki wasn't the pov character
>>
>>134840421

Yeah, she's pretty fucking useless.
>>
>>134838632
wow
i literally feel the exact same way you do
I just can't put my finger on why I disliked it though. Maybe it was just unsettling or something or maybe it was that the characters sucked or because I don't like fantasy so much
It certainly wasn't "bad" but I get what you mean OP
>>
>>134838632
It's a distopia, with some fairly strong antecedents -- mix Eloi vs Morlocks with a dose of Chrysalids, and season with Akira and Domu for the Japanese taste.
>>
>>134839929
Don't insult us. SSY is after LOGH the most /pol/ approuved anime. After all, squealer = literally hitler.
>>
Because you have shit taste.
>>
>>134841480
Why do you guys like hitler so much anyway?
Because he tried to wipe out retards and jews, or do you honestly believe he was a competent leader?
>>
>>134840945

Yeah, that's part of what confuses me.

Like... I perfectly understand both Squealer and Kiroumaru. I think they have relatively decent motivations and development. They're certainly better than the actual "human" cast. But I still hate them and think they should die.

Perhaps it's a mixture of finding the plot annoying and stupid at one end, but not being able to stop watching because it's compelling enough to warrant seeing its conclusion, even if you're aggravated by it the whole time?

I don't know, really.
>>
It's pretty overrated
>>
>>134842431
And characters don't really make this anime any better...
>>
Squealer did some things wrong
>>
>>134840421

Pretty much this. She's way too fucking passive to be a POV of view character.
>>
>>134840427
She would be useful if she didn't have all those dumb fuckers around her.
>>
>>134842593

let's hope for a better future while doing absolutely fucking nothing

kishi yusuke is a fucking hack
>>
>>134841738
I don't really. It's kinda like Donald Trump. He's a maymay president, very funny and cool but the value of the man itself...well, Hitler painted half good stuff.
>he tried to wipe out retards and jews
That's actually a lie. This is part of why Hitler is a symbol because the lie of the holocaust is used as an excuse to let immigrant, for culture maxism and destruction of european countries. Hitler is the symbole of anti-political correctness. Funnily enough he was pretty moderate in his actions and discourses.
>competent leader
Yes and No; He knew nothing but knew he knew nothing. Basically "I tell the german people to help themselves!". Better than someone who think he know something. Hitler wasn't competent but smart enough to let competent people do the work and most of all : He loved his country and it's rare today.
>>
>>134842724

But Mein Kampf?
>>
>>134840421
The only worthwhile thing she did was figuring out it wasn't actually a fiend, but a confused human. And even then it was partly thanks to Shun.

Booty though.
>>
>>134841480
How the fuck is Squealer fucking Hitler? Slave race revolting against literal super humans operating a totalitarian fascist regime makes SQUEALER Hitler?

If anything Squealer is Spartacus or Lenin.
>>
>>134838632
Tell me this is an edited pasta
>>
>>134842867
I think the humans had more similarities with Hitler
>>
>>134842904
>this person doesn't have my opinion
>therefore pasta
>therefore trolling

yeah okay bro
>>
>it's actually a /pol/ thread
Fuck you, OP.
>>
>>134843248

I didn't ask for this.

I wouldn't have cared if people just started discussing why they actually liked the series.

Maybe /a/ is just shit.
>>
>>134838632
Ok.
>>
>>134841480
That explains why there are a lot of shitty trolls for this. It's popular on another board
>>
>>134843478
You don't have to reply to everything. You just kept on talking about /pol/shit.
>>
I liked the setting, and how you can see squealer pick up on information the kids try to hide from him and throughout the show slowly formulate his plan. It was surprisingly subtle in some regards for a modern tv show.
I wouldn't say it's one of my favorites, but it's definitely one of the more memorable universes. I liked how realistic its societies were considering the rest of the setting, unlike a lot of other shows like GitS where the society honestly feels way too similar to ours considering something as fucking big as transferring your mind into mechanical bodies and the internet is possible. GitS tries to explore its themes with the characters that are given, but hardly with the world that surrounds them. SSY seems to attempt the opposite, and I thought it worked fairly well.
>>
>>134839716
>Yeah, I know. Childhood dehumanization and whathaveyou.
>Still can't sympathize with them.

That's something i expected Charles Manson to say, not a fellow anon... you might be sociopath in the making.
>>
>>134841480
>After all, squealer = literally hitler.
Bullshit.
Squealer did nothing wrong. Don't compare him with your shit.
>>
>>134838632
Human characters suck.
>>
>>134842992
>>134843478
Nothing to do with opinion, tumblr friend. You're clearly too new to this stuff and having trouble to deal with such feeling. You just got really immersed in its setting and plot because somehow it's new for you. That's all, baby.
>>
I enjoyed the music, the atmosphere and the setting. However, I disliked the ending because it felt like the bad guys won.
>>
>>134838632
It's because you have shit taste. Go see a doctor
>>
>>134843787
>you might be sociopath in the making

Well fuck me then.

Seriously though, I can understand intellectually what led them to be the way they were. Just like I can understand that Squealer was justified in his revolt, if not every action he took. I also see why Kiroumaru felt stopping Squealer was the best course of action, given that the prospects of Squealer's success were overly optimistic.

I just don't really feel sorry for any of them.

>>134844012

You ignorant faggot. I've been here for nine years.

>immersed in its setting and plot

That's really the exact opposite of what happened, is the problem.

I was mostly just going "okay" the whole time.
>>
Because I did not like the end overcomes evil, blackberries Describes protagonists as sociopaths with no moral, I do not find in any way interesting to see a story in which he won not only evil, but where the good does not even have the chance to defend himself !!!!
>>
>>134838632
The show is not for everyone. It's an anime like no other so it's no wonder some will find it unconformable because they expect something familiar and instead they get something new.
>>
>>134838632
Besides the ending which was really good the show was a bit average, maybe it could of done with a better animation style that looked more interesting. Everything looked very plain. The characters weren't solid, they might as well all of been the same.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.