[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people like One Punch Man? I was told it was a funny
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 13
File: OPM.jpg (99 KB, 1801x833) Image search: [Google]
OPM.jpg
99 KB, 1801x833
Why do people like One Punch Man?

I was told it was a funny anime, but it couldn't make me laugh once in a whole episode.
>>
>>134830852
>watching anime
kill yourself
>>
>>134830852
Because you were sitting there with the intent to not laugh a single time.
Or it's simply not your humor.

So anon, how old are you? I'm guessing something under 13, as you don't seem to understand the concept of different people liking different things and different people having different humor, yet.
>>
>>134830895
So, you were surprised when the giant attacked the wrong shoulder?

The jokes couldn't be more telegraphed.
>>
>>134830936
Because that's not what the jokes are about.

You're better off just watching something else.
>>
>>134830936
Why make a thread to have a conversation about people liking something you have undoubtedly decided to shit on no matter what?
>>
>>134830852
You don't like it because you need a reason to like a show. Sometimes fun things are just fun.
>>
>>134830987
Why read it?

I want to know what people like about it. Do you really find it so funny?
>>
>>134831037
stop taking it so seriously, just watch it and have fun
>>
I hate OPM. it's literally the most pandering shonen bullshit while ruining any promise of maybe anything entertaining all for the single joke of 'Saitama is really unassuming but really tough and strong!' with nothing else going for it.
>>
File: saitama_bait.gif (477 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
saitama_bait.gif
477 KB, 500x281
>>134830852
Fucking stop with those lazy baits
http://desustorage.org/a/search/image/U5UPMeAGcCDUiXbI1UtCLA/
>>
>>134831037
Why do you need a reason to read it? The humor is mediocre at best but it's a fun read.
Or are you one of those that only watch sophisticated, intelligent anime for gentlemen such as yourself?
>>
>>134831093
I don't like OPM, but anti-OPM fags really are so much worse. You faggots shitpost more than OPM fans.
>>
>>134831102
Nah, I get watching something as dumb fun. But it's been an internet explosion of OPM lately, and I really don't get it.

I'm truly asking to hear what people like about it.
>>
wait wait wait
OPM is supposed to be a comedy?
I almost cried during the licenceless rider fight or when he sent the thank you letter to saitama.
>>
>>134831164
I've been told it's a comedy, some people even said it's "satirical" to the superhero genre.
>>
>>134831146
OPM is like playing an incredibly difficult video game with godmode cheat on.
>>
>>134831133
Stating my opinion is not shitposting, sorry to inform you.
>>
>>134831037
I watch it. I don't read it. But it's entertainment for the sake of being entertained. I don't need some deep, contrived plot that tries too hard to be just that and fails miserably. Take it for what it is.
>>
>>134831211
Never heard that one before. So it's a power level thing? It's about the awesome fights?

I really enjoyed the fight with the Subterraneans, but not completely, as it's was so obviously a dream sequence.
>>
>>134830852

that's the joke
>>
>>134831185
Satire isn't comedy, anon. Just look at A Modest Proposal.
>>
>>134831237
No, I'm not asking a deep philosophical anything.

But I've been told it's hilarious (the anime, I haven't read the manga either). I don't get it yet.
>>
>>134831146
you know how incredible popular star wars and harry potter is? I hate both
Sometimes you just don't like what everyone else likes, it's just a simple matter of having different taste, because in the end the reasons why people like this are the same as always. The fights look nice, the comedy is funny, the characters are memorable.
Of course you don't think so, but almost every one else does, just like how there may be a popular anime you like, but there might be one or two people who do not.
>>
>>134831234
It is when your opinion is identical to everyone in the 50 previous threads hating on it.
>>
>>134831258
so which one do you think OPM is? Satire or comedy?
>>
>>134831287
Maybe because it's solid reasons to dislike something?
>>
>>134830852
Great thread faggot OP, how many times is this already?
>>
>>134831273
Well not all humor speaks everyone. Stupid-funny is still funny to some people. If it just doesn't tickle your funny-bone, it just doesn't.
>>
File: 1445531933519.gif (82 KB, 278x340) Image search: [Google]
1445531933519.gif
82 KB, 278x340
>>134830852
It requires intelligence to understand sarcasm. I guess you're out of luck.
>>
People also find nichijou to be funny, to each their own. Humor/comedy is probably the most subjective thing and most definitely a thing that not everyone will enjoy.
>>
>>134831285
Yeah, but even though I don't like those either, I get them.

I get why people like Harry Potter, I just don't get why people like OPM.
>>
>>134831300
That's debatable, but either way stop posting about it ad nauseam on /a/. You faggots circlejerk about hating OPM more than OPMfags circlejerk about loving it.
>>
>>134831315
The nipple joke and the shoulder joke on the first episode are sarcasm?

The backstory joke that they get wrong the fourth time is sarcasm?
>>
>>134831321
This
I found nichijou to be absolutely mind-numbingly boring but absolutely loved nichibros
People are going to find different things to be funny
>>
>>134831300
>Some retarded shitter on /a/ thinks his opinions mean jack shit
You are retarded senpai.
>>
>>134831401
>Nichibros
Still kind of salty about the ending.
>>
>>134831401
So, the series is funny. That's what people like about it?
>>
>>134831337
i just told you why, it's nothing more than that
what else did you expect? What else is there to harry potter that you saw through even though you did not enjoy it yourself?
>>
>>134831429
Who knows everyone has different opinions. Wait you don't know this?
>>
>>134831429
what's it like only being able to see in black and white?
>>
it's a satire anime about shonen.
i find it funny and the art/animation is good.

it's that simple.
if you don't understand beyond that,then you can't be helped.
>>
>>134831454
People identify with the houses, and the story is built to be an easy escapist fantasy.

The emotional scenes are emotional, and Harry grows as a character as the story goes on. He matures.

I get the appeal in Harry Potter even if I don't personally like it. I just don't like "destiny kids" so much, so Harry Potter turns me off.
>>
>>134831493
>The emotional scenes are emotional, and Harry grows as a character as the story goes on. He matures.
Harry is literally a can-do-no-wrong character that never matures
He makes a lot of retardedly dangerous decisions that only work out because he's the main character

And i'm saying that as someone who enjoyed harry potter
>>
>>134831493
People identify with the overpowered main character(not hiding his plot armor at all), and the story is built on making fun of popular shonen anime.

The humorous scenes are..humorous, and saitama does not grow at all as a character because that's the joke - a static main character in a shonen which doesnt bullshit with power levels.
>>
>>134831493
right, it's a drama with basic drama tropes
and opm is a comedy and action with comedy and action tropes

just think about it like this, have you ever watched a comedy series you liked just for the comedy? And have you ever watched a action series just for the action? That's OPM for everyone else
>>
Is OP, dare I say it, autistic?
>>
>>134831555
Ok, you are right. The world matures around him. The reader mature around him.

Harry doesn't change much to be easier to project into. You are right.
>>
File: 1443345637040.jpg (22 KB, 471x480) Image search: [Google]
1443345637040.jpg
22 KB, 471x480
>manga comes out
>everyone loves it
>anime comes out
>everyone hates it
>>
>>134831572
But it's not so predictable. When they start including the "grown up" stuff, it actually gels with the story and can catch you off guard.

OPM humor never goes beyond the most predictable joke for each scene.
>>
>>134831625
Because people who read manga are a minority on /a/ sadly
And said minority is much less likely to shitpost

Every season 1 anime is gonna be shitposted to hell and back regardless of its quality
>>
>>134830852
The only people that like OPM are fujos who ship Saitama/Genos.
>>
>>134830852
go suck a dick op
>>
>>134831685
Thanks for the constructive criticism and examples.

Appreciated.
>>
>>134831639
Have you read the manga, serious question.
>>
>>134831653
Believe me, I stopped watching a lot of things and never looked back.

But OPM's popularity baffled me enough to want to get it.
>>
>Anons spoonfeeding the retard
You guys are asking for this, next season he will ask the same shit for what's popular then. Stop making retards feel welcome here.
>>
>>134831625
It's because animeonly fags are mentally ill and feel the need to be special snowflakes, thus they hate every good source materials while loving the shit materials
>>
>>134830852
>but it couldn't make me laugh once in a whole episode
Because you have shit taste, nothing wrong with the anime
>>
>>134831706
No, just watched the anime. How different are they?
>>
>>134831653
Yes and this season various anime are being shitposted to hell and back, why let it grow?
>>
>>134831741
I refer you to this, please explain to me how these are "good jokes"

>>134831366
>>134830936
>>
>>134830852
Judging the entirety of a series based on one episode is really retarded. It gets progressively better and better.
In a nutshell, this series first appears to be silly and fun with great action all the time. But there are moments when it turns completely serious and that made me fall in love with this series.
Yes, Saitama(the One Punch Man) is the MC, but he's not the only one who fights.
And the fight in the next episode is what made me fall in love with the series while I was reading the manga.
The first 10 episodes established One Punch Man to be undefeatable and someone who defeats all enemies with one punch. But now an enemy survived his punch and turns out to be more of a threat than others
>>
>>134831781
Shouldn't you take the position of first explaining why they're bad rather than supposing they are by default?

Since the overwhelming majority of /a/ likes this show, it puts you in a minority which means you should explain and support your arguments, not the other way around.

Bit arrogant of you.
>>
>>134831704
faggot like you who cant comprehend the subjective taste in humour don't deserve constructive reply. also the way you're talking like comedy is the only thing going on for OPM, completely disregarding the story and action appeal.
>>
>>134831789
Well, the first episode is supposed to make me want to come back. If they can't get a reaction out of their presentation, then can't blame me for not getting hooked enough to watch more.

So, you say the first 10 episodes are setting up the conflict of Saitama realizing he is not so strong after all. What should make me want to keep watching those 10 episodes if the "plot" won't kick up until the very end?
>>
>>134831337

It's funny, it's decent parody and even despite parodying shonen it still delivers pretty damn satisfying shonen scenes(Mume Rider) and fights. Hell it's great and funny to me how many cool monster designs are put in this show to be literally OHKO and discarded.

Like seriously if you don't get the joke, that is cool. But a lot of folks do. It's like arguing about music. There's objective rules for constructing good music and even good comedy. A lot of the taste of the audience is still subjective.
>>
File: 1393311293785.gif (142 KB, 492x528) Image search: [Google]
1393311293785.gif
142 KB, 492x528
Probably because the humor is very dry and you don't laugh at reaction faces.
>>
>>134831821
I said why. The jokes were so predictable that I didn't laugh, because I could see them coming a mile away.

And I'm not a smart guy. I'm usually blindsided by the most obvious plot twists, so being so aware of the jokes here was really surprising for me.
>>
>>134831865
It was presented to me as a comedy, so I'm asking if there is more to it that I couldn't see.
>>
File: 1449157644279.png (211 KB, 770x1187) Image search: [Google]
1449157644279.png
211 KB, 770x1187
Seriously just read the webcomic and manga, the story later on gets really good and garou is one of the best written villians we've seen in a some time and the fight with him is very well done.
>>
>>134831909
>And I'm not a smart guy.
Oh we know.
>>
>>134831781

as opposed to not liking it, not getting it makes you an autist
>>
Fuck off.
http://desustorage.org/a/search/image/U5UPMeAGcCDUiXbI1UtCLA/
>>
>>134831894
That was the highlight of the episode for me. The "reaction face" while on the shoulder of the giant. Then I realized he was looking at a corpse, and found it less funny.
>>
>Hurr durr the thread
Keep the quality threads coming guys.
>>
>>134831037
It's not slapstick comedy no.

I enjoyed the humor of Genos not understand why Saitama's bald. I enjoyed the Gorilla general losing his shit and dropping his accent because he realized he was insanely outclassed. I enjoyed watching the bug guy's head explode when he broke through Saitama's roof. I laughed when the mole ran into Saitama's face underground. I laughed when Saitama got beaten up by the supreme boss of the House of Evolution only to find out he was upset about a time sale. I laugh at Speed of Sound Sonic every time he's on screen. I laugh at the guy who loses only to survive because his head is 'extra hard'. I laughed at Saitama's plight to find and solve a crime when the city's being quiet. I laughed when Pri Pri Prisoner goes Angel Mode. I enjoyed all the faces most monsters make when they get their shit beaten by a halfway drawn bald guy in a yellow shirt and cape. I laugh when Tatsumaki goes 'One mode'.

Not to mention all the times the show is entertaining because the action is awesome, like the several fights involving Genos, Licenseless Rider showing that a hero never runs, and the S class heroes teaming up against a bad guy.

Plus Tatsumaki hits all my strike zones.

Good enough for you?
>>
>>134831971
>http://desustorage.org/a/search/image/U5UPMeAGcCDUiXbI1UtCLA/

everyone knows Anon, this is just a one bait thread.
>>
>>134831941
So the anime is not faithful to the manga?
>>
>>134831746
Not that much different, but recommendations can go a long way.

The manga has great arts, readers' hype is what drives the hype train that lead to its popularity.

>>134831909
I'm not caught off guard by the jokes much, but it doesn't invalidate it. I laughed when he punched Carnage Kabuto, even though I knew he was gonna win anyway.
>>
>>134831909
then congratulation you're just a fucking special snowflake the pleb with superior taste in humour than the masses. satisfy?thats the answer you're looking for right?

this is one of the most blatant b8 thread yet i cant help getting reeled on..fuck.
>>
>>134832001
Thanks, that's really well articulated.
>>
>>134831066
>stop taking it so seriously
here we go again
>>
>>134831971
>Retard OP has short term memory loss
Well he is a retard.
>>
Jesus Christ Shitogefag, you've managed to reach another level.
>>
>>134832011
No not really, it's really faithful. However ONE, the author, started it as a gag manga with no direction to it. Which is why there are no substance to the first episode.

As the series went on, it became more of a coherent story, I'd say starting at the Meteor Arc, which set the tone for future arcs.
>>
>>134832012
Yeah, I'm not gonna criticize the "one punch kill" joke. It's the basis of the show, so one can obviously see it coming.

I'm talking about the peripheral jokes. Those really fell flat.
>>
>>134832001
>>134831941
>>134832012

stop replying to him seriously dammit. he just fucking with you.
>>
>>134832071
Is this one of your IRC buddies? No wonder he is a full retard.
>>
>>134832108
Anon you are doing it wrong. You can't stop people from being new.
>>
>>134832110
He's a mentally autistic sociopath, if you really must reply to him then just insult Shitoge and move on.
>>
>>134832081
Ok, that makes more sense. So I was watching like, four or more different gags tackled one behind the other, instead of an episode with an arc that builds up to a conclusion, right?

That actually makes a lot of sense. In webcomic for I could have seen one joke ending an the other beginning, not so easy on the episode.
>>
>>134831773
Because /a/ is full of retards who want to fight shitposters with more shitposting.
>>
>>134832081
so, opm began as a parody of battle shounen and now became a battle shonen. oh the irony.
>>
>>134832148
>He's a mentally autistic sociopath
Yeah we get a ton of this on /a/, I am used to their retardation already.
>>
>>134832106
Anon, I don't even know what a peripheral joke is. Google did jackshit to help.
>>
>>134832178
That does sound pretty bad, though. You are right.

If I had liked the first episode, the show would have eventually changed it's approach?
>>
>>134830852

It's the abruptness of how he kills extremely overpowered villains.
>>
>>134832199
I meant the jokes around the central, OHKO joke.
>>
>>134832243
Ah, thanks for clearing that up.
>>
>>134832178
Having actual fights, worldbuilding, story, and dramatic scenes doesn't mean the series is falling in line with bad battle shonen writing. The comedic nature still remains as the story progresses.
>>
I think both versions of the manga are hilarious, but I don't much care for the anime's slower delivery of the jokes.
>>
Season 2 when?
>>
>>134832303
The Genos Backstory though, that had me laughing the more it just went on with dramatic music to boost.
>>
File: baby-eating-from-spoon-007.jpg (19 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
baby-eating-from-spoon-007.jpg
19 KB, 460x276
This thread is nice.
>>
>>134832081

This post really game me a new perspective on the show.

I read a lot of webcomics that started as gag-a-day before getting serious, and not a single one of them could pull a compelling episode with their early material.

I still think starting the anime like that was a dumb decision, but I see where they were coming from. At least they tried to be faithful.
>>
>>134832286
dont get me wrong, I dont think this is bad. in my opinion, there are only two kinds of stories: those well told and those badly told. the funny thing is that much of opm fans defend the show saying it is different from most battle shonen, when it is not.
>>
>>134832469
yes anon it still different from other typical battle shonen. the aproach and execution is not your run of the mill shonen, so the point still stand.
>>
>>134832622
but fans talk as if the series was a deconstruction or subvrsion, when what it actually does is just exaggerate the elements of the genre. in other words, opm is not original, is just a typical bs only with more hyperboles. and, again, this is not bad, because (and that's my point), unlike what many believe, bs are not a bad thing.
>>
>>134832852
>deconstruction or subvrsion
If someone called OPM any of those things, it was most likely a shitposter.
>>
>>134830852
It's just like Gintama, not mad for all the people.
>>
>>134833368
gintama is a lot more funnier
>>
>>134833537
>more funnier
Your opinion is dismissed due to lack of grammar.
>>
File: One punch man 98.jpg (422 KB, 592x1696) Image search: [Google]
One punch man 98.jpg
422 KB, 592x1696
The
Fucking
Webcomic
>>
>>134830852
Comedy isn't really objective, you either like it or you don't.
>>
>>134831258
Are you seriously implying A Modest Proposal isn't funny?

Satire is a subgenre of comedy.
>>
>>134832852

this must be what it feels like to read an esl student's literary analysis essay
>>
>>134831990
Did you get triggered, anon
>>
>>134831429
Comedy, action, characters, and some interesting use of themes. These are the common things people like about OPM.
>>
How are the official english translations of the manga? should I pick up a copy?
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-04-11-49-02.png (1 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-04-11-49-02.png
1 MB, 1440x2560
>>134830879
Back to /b/ with you, sissy faggot
>>
>>134833841
It's amusing, but it isn't a comedy. Comedies and satires are written for different purposes.
>>
>animeonly's think the joke is that he kills everything in one hit
stay in school morons
>>
File: TORNADO.png (207 KB, 599x847) Image search: [Google]
TORNADO.png
207 KB, 599x847
Webcomic Tatsumaki is the best Tatsumaki
>>
>>134833941
>comedy and satire cannot overlap at all because I said so
ok
>>
File: Bioman bait.png (430 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Bioman bait.png
430 KB, 640x480
>>134831098
Thread should have ended here.
>>
>>134833941
A satire is a kind of comedy that uses laughs/absurdity to get some kind of point or commentary across.
>>
>>134832852
>but fans talk as if the series was a deconstruction or subvrsion
Bull fucking shit. Not here.
>>
>>134833842
help me anon. my google translate is not good enough. i'm serious. tell me where I wrote wrong.
>>
>fell asleep while watching EP 1

something important happened ?
Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.