[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This came out more than 30 years ago and it looks 1000 times
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 8
File: DAICON4.jpg (53 KB, 531x372) Image search: [Google]
DAICON4.jpg
53 KB, 531x372
This came out more than 30 years ago and it looks 1000 times better than the shit that is currently airing. What the fuck happened?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-840keiiFDE
>>
>>134752489

A lack of passion among modern animators.

If you want to go deeper, the discontinuation of cell animation in favor of cheaper digital animation before digital had a chance to mature properly.
>>
It's a short showcase demo where people spend a shitload of time to create as opposed to cheap TV production, any other less stupid questions?
>>
>fan animation short made by what would become GAINAX
>implying it wasn't a thousand times better looking than shit on TV then either
Please don't use Daicon IV to shitpost you fucking homo faggot
>>
You think this shit is better? LOL
>>
ELO lmao
>>
File: DAICON IV.webm (2 MB, 684x466) Image search: [Google]
DAICON IV.webm
2 MB, 684x466
TWIGHLIIIIGHT
>>
>>134752579
>taking the bait
baka senpai
>>
>>134752489
>80s hair
>good
fuck off
>>
Digital animation is honestly just shit desu
>>
>>134752579
>A lack of passion among modern animators.

I don't know about that. They're willing to work for pennies because they love anime so much and want to work on it. That's some passion if I've ever seen it.
>>
>>134752489
>360px
This will make /a/ and /v/ rage, that's why.
>>
>>134752579
>being this retarded

It's because of a lack of proper funds and time, moron. Animators work for pretty much fucking pennies. I'd say they'd need a lot of passion to work with that sort of environment
>>
>>134752579
Or maybe there are just fundamental production differences between a 6 minute production and a 240-480 minute production.

Animation-wise there's no difference between cel and digital animation that I know of. The animator draws the animation with pen and paper and then hands it off to other people.
>>
>>134752489
her jawline looks like a man's
>>
File: knife fight.gif (2 MB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
knife fight.gif
2 MB, 1440x1080
>>134752489
This came out more than 30 years ago and looks 1000 times worse than the well animated shows that are currently airing. What the fuck happened?
>>
>>134754035
Sword of the Stranger on steroids.
>>
File: redline.jpg (333 KB, 1864x1048) Image search: [Google]
redline.jpg
333 KB, 1864x1048
>>134752994
Digital animation is NOT shit.

Todays animators are just shitty and lazy.
They do not follow the 12 principle's and they sure as fuck dont have any passion for the projects they are working on.

Id guess most of todays animators started making they're own films and that's what they wanted to do. but are instead working on coffee boy for Corporation Incorporated so i can kind of understand.

Animation is long and difficult, and digital makes barely any fucking difference. occasionally something beautiful still gets made like pic related.

Direct your hate towards the combination of 2D and 3D animation and not either on there own.
>>
>Comparing a fucking short to, whatever the fuck you're comparing it to

OP you're retarded and dumb
>>
>>134754257
Yeah man, people become animators and get paid nothing and work really long hours because they're lazy and don't care about what they're doing.

By the way are you comparing today's TV anime to Akira or something? That's what people usually do.
>>
>>134754257
About as good as some Dragonball Super fight scenes, I'd say.
>>
>>134754257
This.

Digital coloring is objectivly worse though.
>>
>>134754369
Why's that?
>>
>>134754257
Japan doesn't use "digital animation" in most airing anime, the entire animating process is done on on pencil and paper, only the coloring and finishing touches are digitized.
>>
>>134754598
Mud > plastic
>>
>>134754631
What does that mean?
>>
>>134754625
What studios are you referring to?

Because that is completely false.
>>
>>134754695
Every single studio.
>>
>>134754708
Got a single source?
Just makes no sense at all past the storyboard stage.
>>
>>134754807
Go watch Shirobako you fucking retard.
>>
>>134754807
The vast majority of animation's still done on pen and paper. It's scanned and the rest is done digitally.
>>
>>134754625
>>134754695
While pencil and paper is the norm for most animators, there is a gradual shift towards digital animation. Some young animators already animate on tablets and even the veterans have been experimenting with drawing digitally. It is only a matter of time before it becomes the industry standard. This isn't a cause for concern though, as good animators will continue to put out impressive work regardless of whether they're animating on paper or tablet. A handful of shows have already had scenes animated digitally but no one is none the wiser when it comes to the final product.
>>
>tfw want to get into animation and produce a short music video thing similar to this as one of my first projects
Thanks for the inspiration desu
>>
It was produced in a sweatshop, directed by the future members of Gainax, and funded by a Howard Hughes type.
>>
>>134754670
Muddy colors are objectively better than the plastic colors you are forced to use when coloring digitally
>>
>>134754807
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecnKf4O4jzQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEeUXPDstC8
>>
The nerve of people who participate in this kind of threads and don't know a single thing about the animation process.
>>
>>134752489
Isn't that an Ova?
>>
Here's some modern doujin animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_DyGOtXKRo

>>134754940
Digital coloring can use every possible color, including every color used in cel anime. It was cel animation that was limited in what colors could be used.
>>
>>134755033
It's just a fanmade demo made to showcase their abilities using famous characters from various other unrelated works.
>>
>>134755001
Most people on /a/ complaining about anything have no fucking clue what they're talking about, this thread shouldn't surprise you in the least.
>>
>>134755050
>Digital coloring can use every possible color
That's the problem. It makes things too easy. They can pick any random color and it shows.
Art is born from restriction.
>>
>>134754257
>they're own films
Is internet growing illiterate? Why is all of a sudden nearly everyone doing this mistake?
>>
File: 1438361620349.gif (61 KB, 300x351) Image search: [Google]
1438361620349.gif
61 KB, 300x351
>>134755296
>all of a sudden
It's a mistake that's been around since the dawn of time, is this your first day on the internet?
>>
>>134755244
The coloring department decide on a basic color pattern for everything before they actually color stuff, you think they can do whatever the hell they want and let a character with red hair have pink hair in a later episode?
>Art is born from restriction.
My sides.
>>
>>134752489
You're just fucking retarded. The animation's nice and all, but you must be blind to think that it's somehow superior to anything modern. Good, even great animation is still being made today.
>>
>>134755362
I've never seen it made before 2013, after that it's 90% instances where it's wrong.
>>
>>134755370
He's not really wrong about art being born from restriction. Anime's animation style for example was born from severe restrictions.
>>
I want KyoAnus dick suckers to leave.
>>
>>134755480
If someone who's good even with all the restrictions, what's stopping them from being good without those?
>>
>>134754970
TOP KEK
>digital animation sucks c u c k s
BTFO
>>
>>134755436
"I fucked you're waifu" has been a thing since 2009 at least, nice to know how long you've been here though
>>
>>134755517
Anime as we know it wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the restrictions imposed by TV production.
>>
>I like old shit, its better then the 10 anime i've seen, kung fury was so cool
Am i cool yet guys
>>
>>134755370
>The coloring department decide on a basic color pattern for everything before they actually color stuff
The problem is that they decide on shitty colors.
Compared to cell animation they are like a kid fill-in tool in MS-paint compared to a skilled painter mixing physical colors.
Nothing digital can hold up to the soul a work of art has by simply having physical qualities.
>>
>>134755598
Yeah, it would've been something better.
>>
>>134754970
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEeUXPDstC8
That looks like an absolute nightmare of a workflow.
Why didn't they go digital yet?
>>
>>134755556
That is obviously deliberate you dumbfuck, I'd never even consider it a mistake, but a joke pointed at several idiots on 4chan. Nowadays it's ubiquitous.
>>
>>134755630
>muh soul

lel
>>
>>134755644
It's expensive to set up and requires some training for the animators to get used to the new software and hardware. You also have to consider the additional costs of getting the same tools to the inbetweening studios if one is to adopt a fully-digital workflow.
>>
>>134755644
Some people can't get used to drawing on a tablet, same case for mangaka.
>>
>>134755655
Enjoy your generic school battle harem #2152 with shitty animation and awful colours, retard.
>>
>>134755636
That's extremely unlikely.

Having to work within such limitations really forced animators to innovate, and not rely just on animation.

>>134755739
So digital coloring is now responsible for genres, scripts and animation too? I bet the Jews did this.
>>
File: WiGLG2L.gif (1 MB, 458x360) Image search: [Google]
WiGLG2L.gif
1 MB, 458x360
>>134755512
There is no need to be upset.
>>
>>134754257
what are the 12 principles?
>>
>>134755698
Wouldn't it cust a lot of costs, considering that their keyframes are scanned and digitized anyways?

I just see no reason to have them keep doing this shit by hand when they could just use tvpaint instead.
Buy them a fucking cintiq and you're good to go.
It'll save hundereds of hours too, so it's not like it's expenses that will take years to pay back.
>>
>>134755783
Some old ass rules nobody cares about written by Disney.
>>
>>134755820
It's more like written by two of their greatest animators.
>>
>>134755783
The 12 principles of animation, you can Google it Anon-kun
>>
>>134755819
Having 2-3 scanners at their office as opposed to providing computers and drawing tablets for all 50 inbetweeners that are working for them? Jeez I wonder what costs less.
>>
>japanese animators draw with pencil on papar for less than minimum wage because their dream is animating
>the american gen Y clique of animators like egoraptor is happe to not even touch a pencil anymore even though he has millions of fans waiting for him to deliver
Just crazy how that sometimes works out for people
>>
>>134755644
That raises the barrier of entry for newbie animators. The turn over rate for grunt animators is pretty high currently, due to low pay and grueling hours, and they can keep it like that as long as the only real skills needed are knowing how to draw with pencil and paper. Those are skills anyone can develop on their own with enough practice.

But animating using software requires a whole different set of skills that fewer people will have the opportunity to learn. It will drastically shrink their pool of labor at the low end, at least in the short term.

Basically a change in production will shake up the industry's model in a fundamental way, and that's not something the Japanese typically go for.
>>
>>134755879
>Jeez I wonder what costs less.
Digital would cost less you fucking retard.
Simply because it would cut man-hours spent on getting all that shit from analog to digital in half.
>>
>>134752489
HOLY COW THIS IS LIKE "EVERYBODY PARODIED THE ANIME"
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Trb5wCvlw

It's a cost-benefit thing, studios are fully capable of doing some great animation but it's to costly most of the time
>>
>>134755928
The problem is most key animators and inbetweeners are free lancers, providing hardware for them to work for other companies is retarded.
Also see
>>134755731
>>
File: 20110302203759.jpg (256 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
20110302203759.jpg
256 KB, 800x500
>>134755900
>That raises the barrier of entry for newbie animators.
No, it literally won't.
Even a monkey can draw on a citinq and adding a new frame is literally one click on a button.
That's 30 minutes of telling them of the software works and you're good to go.
>>
>>134755947
That looks awful
>>
>>134755879
Digital production would actually save money in the long term. You'd need less animators and they would need to work less hours to get the same amount of work done. You'd also save money on supplies like paper cells and pencils. The short term investment would be steep for a typical studio though, plus you'd have to make sure your staff knew how to use all the equipment.
>>
>>134755968
>The problem is most key animators and inbetweeners are free lancers, providing hardware for them to work for other companies is retarded.
Most of them probably already own a tablet anyway
>>
>>134756013
Why?
>>
>>134756051
Dogshit, choppy animation, terrible faces, anatomy and perspective all off.
>>
>>134755820
>>134755854
Anime surpassed Disney in animation a long time ago.
>>
File: Google it.jpg (23 KB, 414x307) Image search: [Google]
Google it.jpg
23 KB, 414x307
>>134755783
>>
>>134756157
>this is what weebs believe
>>
>>134755971
Shifting from pencil and paper to tablet is not that simple. Yes you can learn the basics quickly but getting your skills up to par or to a level where you're satisfied with them takes longer. It took me weeks to adjust to drawing on a tablet and my style was permanently changed as a result, but I ended up happy with the result after fiddling with it for almost 2 months.

There are some mangaka in Japan who use tablets, others who refuse because they cannot get used to them. The same will be true with animators. It will cause a shakeup of their workforce.
>>
>>134756157
Anime surpassed everybody in (not) animating.
>>
>>134756179
A weeb wouldn't know anything about animation.

The three basic reasons why Disney is so overrated: 1) it's all most people are familiar with, 2) people seem to naturally think that animation quality is determined entirely by how fluid it is, and 3) everyone says Disney is the best.

>>134756226
Maybe you should watch more anime than just DBZ.
>>
>>134756281
>people seem to naturally think that animation quality is determined entirely by how fluid it is
The praise for Disney's animation comes from their expressive character animation, not sheer fluidity. Nothing in anime comes close to the "acting" in Disney films, the animation in the latter is so good that their best examples are able to convey a character's personality from their movements alone, without the need for dialogue.
>>
>>134756281
Disney is considered the best because their technical skill is nearly flawless. Disney animation is at a level so high that critique is usually limited to conceptual or design choices rather than the actual animation.
>>
>>134756427
Too bad nobody in Disney make hand drawn animation anymore.
>>
>>134756409
>>134756427
Disney's character acting is very exaggerated and cartoony, and the character designs and camera work are simple. They also used rotoscoping and even recycled it.

And the vast majority of people do indeed specifically believe that Disney animation is so great because it's so smooth, and anime animation is so terrible because it's less smooth.
>>
>>134756212
>and my style was permanently changed as a result
Then you were simply not good enough.
>muh style
go back to /ic/
>>
>>134756625
>Disney's character acting is very exaggerated and cartoony
Maybe its because, I don't know, they make cartoons?
>>
>>134755436
its because of spell check and grammar check programs. some times the programs change the spelling.
>>
>>134756409

I disagree, expressive character animation is a stylistic choice. You can see exaggerated emotions in manga, for example, where impact is required due to lack of movement.

Also, due to the cultural differences, Asian people exhibit a lot less facial expressions when communicating. Look at interviews on youtube and try to find somebody rolling their eyes, cock one eyebrow or pursing their lips. These things are quite overdone in Disney films, to the point that the characters look like they're having spasms.
>>
>>134756832
If you applied Disney's style to almost any anime, it would turn into a complete farce. Disney's style was only appropriate for Disney.
>>
>>134756625
>and anime animation is so terrible because it's less smooth.
Not just that, anime is bad with movement in general. Even shows with seemingly unlimited budgets get some awkward, weightless motion accompanied by badly done background synch, case in point: [K]: Return of Kings.
>>
>>134756975
>GoHands anime
>high budget
Pick one.
>>
>>134756975
Anime is the best hand-drawn animation in the world. Yes, there is obviously bad and mediocre animation too, but anime is presently made at a rate of about 50 new shows every three months, plus movies. They're not all going to have great animation.

Many people would say that this is bad animation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR1cMPnMcaY

Because it's not 24 FPS.
>>
I know most anime is still hand drawn.
I know that not all animators have "lost their passion" and that there are lots of talented people around.
I know objectively speaking that the animation of today is superior of the old animation.
But for some reason I haven't been interested in a new release in years. They don't appeal me. Why is that?
I can watch older stuff just fine, but if it's after 2005 or so it just doesn't interest me.
I don't think I'm being an hipster or anything of the sort, most of my favorite authors are extremely well known, like Toriyama and Takahashi.
>>
>>134752489
Favorite anime opening
>>
>>134757608
How the fuck am I supposed to know?
>>
>>134758134
I thought there was someone who went throught the same period while watching anime and that they would post here or something.
>>
>>134757608
It's just personal bias coupled with a lack of any real interest in anime on your part. Cause if you don't watch anything after 2005 you'll quickly exhaust the list of decent shows and have nothing else to watch. So you'll just be stuck rewatching the same shows over and over again. Thus it's not really an interest in anime, it's more that you grew attached to those particular shows from that particular point in your life and don't want to move on.
>>
>>134758322
I don't think I've ever rewatched anything, though.
Except for some movies here and there.
>>
>>134757608
I had the same "problem" throughout 2007-2015, because my life was getting really busy.
I'm now catching up on all the good stuff that I missed and enjoying it.
>>
The industry was evolving rapidly back then

Things are undeniably stagnant now. Formulas and cheaper methods for production have long since been established. Studios, or at least publishers, are content with meeting the bare minimum in sales, and if sales are high regardless they are content with the bare minimum of standards (just look at Toei now).
>>
>>134758723
You are not taking into account that the number of anime produced has increased dramatically and that you have a very rosy view of past anime because you've only seen the highlights.
>>
>>134758723
That's not unique to animu though. Look at the amount of sequels Hollywood is pumping out now.
>>
>>134752489
TWILIGHT
Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.