[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I just finished Serial Experiments Lain, just out of curiosity,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: lain-alien.png (1 MB, 1512x1072) Image search: [Google]
lain-alien.png
1 MB, 1512x1072
So, I just finished Serial Experiments Lain, just out of curiosity, how did you interpret the plot and what not?

Also, what role did the ayylmao play in the story?
>>
>>134720869
Lain is a fragment of the collective consciousness in people. When the wired was created, the network tapped into this and that fragment, Lain, then non-sentient, floated around in it until Eiri found it and turned it into a human. In order for his plan to work, he needs her, a fragment of the collective consciousness, to become mentally unstable and want to "connect" with everybody, and thus bring humanity together on an unconscious level. He and the Knights do this by messing with the real world (already malleable because Lain, a humanized fragment of nature, is there), confusing her about who she is and by making her feel completely lonely. They succeed and she goes along with it, until Alice helps her appreciate that she's human. She erases herself from everyone's memory so that all the problems never happened. She gave up her ability to humanly interact with people in order to make things right.

The alien didn't have a significant role. It's a reference to when people on the wired a few eps back lied that they were being spied on by a kid in a striped sweater. It's there as a demonstration of the real and wired worlds coming together. It's only an alien because of the previous Majestic 12 discussion. Right after, the narrator reveals that it was a forgery and that all the area 51 talk was just to set you up for Vannevar Bush's history.
>>
>>134720869
oyy xonro
>>
>>134720869
The plot will only ever make sense fully to the writer everyone else just has to pretend it was really deep and an amazing show when in fact it was boring and shit.
>>
>>134722210
I disagree, I think the fun part about shows like Lain is nobody will ever really know the true meaning behind the plot, everybody will have their own interpretation, one could even argue the interpretation of the creator isn't at all cannon or "the right way" to understand the story.
>>
>>134722402

I really hate this attitude. Yes, the creator's intentions are the true way to understand the story. It's not their "interpretation". They didn't make Lain to have a bunch of interpretations from the audience as to what is going on. This is a cop out attitude from people who don't want to think about the story.
>>
>>134722503
I do want to think about the story, if there was a correct way to view the story, than the creator would have made a more conclusive ending.
>>
>>134722705
It is conclusive
>>
>>134722853
That's true. You may be right, but that's just how I see these kinds of stories, personally.
>>
>>134722900
Every work of art has a specific thought process behind it in regards to its plot elements that is only subject to interpretation by its audience. There is always a "correct" thinking by the author, because it is impossible to create a work without there being so. The only way for there not to be a "correct" answer is if the authors purposely throw together random crap (which analysis of Lain will demonstrate is not the case), or if they are lying in order to avoid letting people know their thought process. Many misinterpret Ueda's interviews where he says he wants Eastern and Western audiences to react differently as the classic cop-out of "whatever you want to be true is true", but that's not the case. He wanted to two audiences to react differently in order to initiate discourse in regards to the two different cultures.
>>
>>134723069
o-ok.
>>
>>134722210
>Plot is a little difficult to understand
>OMG 2 DEEP 4 ME 0/10
This is why we can't have nice things.
>>
>>134720869
Heyy lol
>>
File: 1378457269.jpg (410 KB, 1008x720) Image search: [Google]
1378457269.jpg
410 KB, 1008x720
>>134720869
>how did you interpret the plot
Lain is moe
>>
>>134723686
>autism is moe
You wish.
>>
File: pi-1.jpg (59 KB, 639x388) Image search: [Google]
pi-1.jpg
59 KB, 639x388
>>134720869
Lain is the movie Pi except with the internet instead of the number Pi.
>>
>>134723686
lain is really fucking moe

>>134724552
fuck you lain is moe

lain is moe everyone

m o e
o
e
>>
File: 1449354355231.png (150 KB, 957x521) Image search: [Google]
1449354355231.png
150 KB, 957x521
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.