[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Video-Purist vs Text translation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Danganronpa-Fansub-vs-dub.png (85 KB, 848x882) Image search: [Google]
Danganronpa-Fansub-vs-dub.png
85 KB, 848x882
Do you prefer translated in-video text (where reasonable) or the original Japanese text with subtitles?

Pic related, I'd expect the fucking english release to actually have translated segments hard-written to the video where it appears reasonable, not this subtitle shit.
>>
>>133826659
I prefer that UTW one.

Looks more professional.
>>
>>133826659
This has an extra layer to it though, since it's a game adaption. I would generally advocate using the same translation choices as the game's localisation, within reason.
Also, why would you suffer through the Dangit Ron Paul anime? It was shit.
>>
>>133826659
Top is the best because it relays the same necessary information without cluttering the image or obstructing the original intended design.
>>
>>133826659
Why would I want japanese text when I can't read it?
>>
>>133827165
There is that, yes. The localised game came out years before with decisions to translate the majority of the content.

>Also, why would you suffer through the Dangit Ron Paul anime? It was shit.

Yeah it is shit, though I had seen the anime before I was graced with the game and I have a habit of looking the locationation when they come out just to see if the english VA choices fit their counterparts.

Safe to say everything about this dub is shit, the Trailer didn't treat it like a mystery-genre anime and more of a joke and Naegi's game VA is the only one which returned. The rest are pretty generic.
>>
>>133826659
Whichever one you prefer, you're most likely not going to get a lot of the first type. It's just completely impractical, especially if you run into a show like KLK where the whole screen is letters.
>>
>>133827652
Stylistic reasons. When there's text in an animated format that doesn't usually need it it's usually serving some visual purpose.
>>
when it's reasonable to ape the style the top is obviously preferable when you're watching translated stuff. it's pretty easy to fuck up the visual style though which can make it more of a mess than subtitles
>>
>>133826659
While I prefer the top one, the bottom is understandable for a lot of reasons too. I mean consider the fact that an official company would never be able to advertise the show as "uncut" if they did what UTW did.

It's not censorship, but it certainly is tampering with the original material.
>>
File: 1398844230454.jpg (130 KB, 1920x541) Image search: [Google]
1398844230454.jpg
130 KB, 1920x541
Typesetting is why I wait for fansub releases instead of just watching CR.

I think good typesetting can enhance my viewing experience, as silly as that sounds.
>>
Typesetting used to be an artform. Thesedays groups just do minimal effort slapping words on the screen.
I haven't seen anything that made me go wow in a long time.
>>
>>133828862
did CR really just leave that attack untranslated
>>
>>133826659
Top one is better and it makes me sad because UTW and pretty much all groups that would actually do this are now dead.
>>
>>133830907
But this way I feel like less of a gaijin, anon-kun.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.