[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay so I posted this a few days ago. Now I finished all 26 episodes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9
File: Neon_Genesis_Evangelion.jpg (3 MB, 2614x1639) Image search: [Google]
Neon_Genesis_Evangelion.jpg
3 MB, 2614x1639
Okay so I posted this a few days ago. Now I finished all 26 episodes of Neon Genesis. Still have some questions.

1. Were we supposed to sympathize with Shinji at all? He was a completely unlikable character from the start to the end. Actually most of the characters were awful. At least Asuka and Major Misato would take action. Shinji just spent half the show crying.

2. Is that really them end of all the Angels? Now what are the humans going to do with the Eva robots? Just chill? And what is up with that spear thing? Why did they save it until nearly the end, when it works so well? Why not attach a tether or something instead of just launching it into orbit? They should've used it from the start.

Maybe I'll think of more questions later.
>>
DO THE UNTHINKABLE SEE THE INVISIBLE... ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH tbH im0 faM
>>
>>133572192
Sounds like you should return to the comfort of cute shows with pristine characters.
>>
>>133572192
Good blog. Do add more questions.
>>
>>133572320
This is the first anime show I've watched in forever. I liked it, but it's confusing.

Why were they building even more Eva robots, even when there were only a few more Angels left? And then they sent that kid to the Tokyo NERV headquarters but they knew he was an Angel? Did they want the third impact to occur or was it an accident? If it did occur, wouldn't everyone be dead? Why would anyone want that?
>>
File: 1421630348516.jpg (2 MB, 2312x1026) Image search: [Google]
1421630348516.jpg
2 MB, 2312x1026
>>133572192
Lurk more, you shit. All this is answered every fucking eva thread.
>>
File: 1447466234313.png (166 KB, 331x361) Image search: [Google]
1447466234313.png
166 KB, 331x361
>>133572192

You are suppose to "relate" to Shinji.

So calling his character unlikable is a personal attack on people like this >>133572320
>>
>>133572462
Sorry man, I didn't see a thread up. Are there any other movies/shows following the same characters? Why does Asuka always get drawn with an eyepatch?

>>133572646
I tried to relate to him, but I think there's a big culture gap and it's not easy to understand him. He's just so passive that he seems like more of a wimp.
>>
>>133572646
Why are you projecting?
>>
>>133572192
>Were we supposed to sympathize with Shinji at all? He was a completely unlikable character from the start to the end. At least Asuka and Major Misato would take action.
>At least Asuka and Major Misato would take action. Shinji just spent half the show crying.

You know what the actual issue here is? The difference between Shinji and Asuka there, is that Shinji acts submissively and accepts blame for a lot of things, and admits to being afraid, while Asuka never accepts blame for anything and blames everyone else.

That's what you react to, not what these characters actually did.

At the end of the day, Shinji gets into the robot and saves the day, even Asuka on occasion. Rei gets into the EVA no matter what and saves the day even if it means her death.
But Asuka? Asuka can't even pilot the thing by the end of the series and is the ONLY one of the pilots to get so bad she actually shuts down mentally and tries to kill herself.

So while you might not like Shinji, he's not as bad as you say he is, and Asuka doesn't do much in comparison.

>Is that really them end of all the Angels?
Yep, threat extinguished, dumb angels BTFO.

>Now what are the humans going to do with the Eva robots?
They are also destroyed or incapacitated, out of reach.

>And what is up with that spear thing? Why did they save it until nearly the end, when it works so well?
They didn't receive the spear until later and they had to use it to contain Lilith. They aren't allowed to use it by SEELE pretty much.
>>
>>133572905
>>133572827
>>133572192
But you know, for the record, Shinji really does complain and whine a lot, and he is legitimately afraid of piloting as well as people not liking him.

So you're completely right in that he acts like that, but I think he has a valid reason to, and that we as adults shouldn't expect anything more from someone in his situation.
>>
>>133572905
Rei looks really ugly in that picture
>>
File: CQnqXrUVAAE1Yf1.jpg large.jpg (91 KB, 874x830) Image search: [Google]
CQnqXrUVAAE1Yf1.jpg large.jpg
91 KB, 874x830
>>133572878

Whats to project are you looking at this thread it's very normal to question Shinji's character but not on /a/ sympathizes will be all over you to claim you so type of "simpleton" for not being into jam packed with flawed characters
>>
>>133573071
>*Rei looks really ugly in all pictures
ftfy
>>
>>133573127
>>133573071
Get out.
>>
>>133572192
Yeah it's bullshit and Shinji is just insufferable. I don't know what more there is to say.
>>
File: rei.png (138 KB, 539x722) Image search: [Google]
rei.png
138 KB, 539x722
>>133572192
>Were we supposed to sympathize with Shinji at all?
No, the opposite. You're supposed to relate to him, and since he hates himself you're supposed to hate him too.
> Is that really them end of all the Angels?
Yes.
>Now what are the humans going to do with the Eva robots?
Watch End of Evangelion.
>And what is up with that spear thing?
Both Adam and Lillith had a spear to lock them up if the other were to ever appear on the same planet to prevent Humans and Angels from occupying the same planet together. NERV fucked with Adam's spear, so he woke up and the Angels were born.
>Why did they save it until nearly the end, when it works so well?
One of the spears is destroyed, so they need the one that's left to keep Lillith sealed.

>>133572433
>Why were they building even more Eva robots, even when there were only a few more Angels left? And then they sent that kid to the Tokyo NERV headquarters but they knew he was an Angel? Did they want the third impact to occur or was it an accident? If it did occur, wouldn't everyone be dead? Why would anyone want that?
End of Evangelion.

>>133572827
End of Evangelion is a continuation that you absolutely have to see.
Death and Rebirth is a recap that you can skip.
Asuka gets an eyepatch in the Rebuilds of Evangelion remake series.
The first one is called "Evangelion 1.0" and the whole remake series is generally considered to be bad and inferior to the original show.
>>
File: 06476.png (69 KB, 231x235) Image search: [Google]
06476.png
69 KB, 231x235
>>133573147
no u
>>
>>133573237
Okay I'll probably look that up soon.

Maybe I was harsh about Shinji, I guess you do have to realize he is only 14, and he's been through some shit. Maybe it's more of an age or culture gap so it's harder to relate to him.

The episodes I downloaded had the Japanese voice acting with english subs, and it also had a separate audio track for the english voice work. Asuka's voice in the english dub was unbearably annoying. Asuka wasn't perfect herself, but she had the drive to be the best. It was frustrating to watch her fail and Shinji succeed when it never seemed like Shinji cared or wanted to be there. He could at least take some pride in himself for being a pretty good pilot. Although, really, his best results were when he got his ass kicked and the Eva took over and went beserk or whatever.
>>
>>133573114
it's like a google translated post
>>
>>133573237
>you're supposed to hate him too

I don't think so. Just because you relate to someone doesn't mean you share the same ideas on everything.
>>
File: 1446124242569.png (114 KB, 760x805) Image search: [Google]
1446124242569.png
114 KB, 760x805
>>133572646
This.
Also, if you hate Shinji, its because he reminds of you him and not because he's loud, obnoxious and generally obtrusive.
>>
>>133573638
>reminds of you him
reminds you of him*
Typing is hard.
>>
>>133573237
>they need the one that's left to keep Lillith sealed

Seele thought they did, anyway, but Lilith doesn't do anything but replace some tissue when it's removed. I don't think they suspected Lilith wasn't home or what Gendo was really doing until the control device was in space.
>>
>sephirotic evangelion 20 and 25-26 finding peers 0.0%

:(
>>
>>133572192
I can't make you understand the concept of showing empathy for a character with human emotions, it's something you either understand or you don't.
>>
>>133573237
I liked this series before watching EoE
>>
>>133573638
>>133573685
>reminds you of him
Of who?
>>
>>133574160
I fucked up.
I meant reminds you of yourself.
>>
>>133574160
He means Shinji is supposed to remind you of yourself
>>
>>133574152
Are you implying that End of Eva somehow ruined the series for you or something?
>>
>>133573237
This guy gets it, everyone has something that their not proud of, and if you're Hideaki Anno you hate everything about yourself. That's the idea behind Shinji, to be a representation of your own "shortcomings."
>>
>>133574229
the series was so introspective, and the movie kinda reverts shinji to how he was in the first episode, which was just annoying. The anime ending was all about the growth of the characters, while the movie was just scene after scene of misplaced symbolism and an ending that just put the characters at odds again.
>>
>>133574383
What do you mean?
The only reason things work out in the end is because he chooses to deal with the hard parts of life even though he knows it will be difficult.
>>
>>133574046
I felt bad for Shinji, in a way. He's not in a great situation, but he never really owns up to changing it until the last episode. He runs away from fighting twice, and then goes back on his own resolve and pilots again because he realizes no one else can.

But Asuka and Rei were in the same situation. Asuka at least wants to prove herself and be the best. Like I said, it's the stress of Shinji outclassing her which is so destructive. Shinji, the little queer who apologizes for everything and doesn't even want to be a pilot can outperform her.

Rei is a little different, but at least she follows orders and is a solid pilot. She doesn't openly bitch about hating her life and come across as a whiny little kid.

Shinji hates himself so much and yet wouldn't embrace his chance at becoming a hero. That's what frustrating about his character I think. He had everything handed to him and he still pussied out.
>>
>>133574492
Doesn't end with him choking that one chick during the apocalypse though?
>>
>>133574629
>openly bitch about hating her life and come across as a whiny little kid.
wasn't Rei literally just one of a bunch of emotionless clones.
>>
>>133574704
she doesn't die though as far as I know

and it's the aftermath of the apocalypse desu
>>
>>133574704
Yeah, but the only reason the hybrid dies is because he rejects Asuka by strangling her. By accepting that not everyone will like him and that not everything in life is easy, he breaks the hybrid's little fantasy world and decides to face a world where things can really suck sometimes as long as it means he can have the chance to be happy with the few people who do care about him.
>>
>>133574756
No faggot.
>>
>>133574769
I think I mainly disliked it because it was purposely obtuse without any real substance, where I feel the show did, and another annoyance is that it riddled with throw away references and images associated with many religions, such and kabbalah and Christianity but doesn't really implement any themes associated therein leading it to just seem extraneous.
>>
File: 1444929985905.jpg (29 KB, 600x347) Image search: [Google]
1444929985905.jpg
29 KB, 600x347
>>133572976
>he is legitimately afraid of piloting as well as people not liking him.
Totally understandable -- and despite these feelings he does what he's supposed to, for the most part.

I only found him detestable in the first of EoE, and even then I don't imagine that I would have done any better, considering what he had been and was going through.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.