[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In what order should I watch macross?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: macross_delta_latest.jpg (277 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
macross_delta_latest.jpg
277 KB, 1280x720
In what order should I watch macross?
>>
>>133081502
Idle master--->free--->delta
>>
>>133082185
>not starting with Nobunagun and Nobunaga the Fool
>>
macross isn't like gundam in that there's not much continuity except for a very few. just watch the new ones the old ones arent even good. actually, the new ones are just mediocre as well.

why do people like this franchise again?
>>
>>133081502
You start with Macross 7 and then you move on with your life
>>
>>133082252
Because transforming fighter jets and j-pop and cheesy love triangles. It's a shallow, feel-good franchise. I love it.

>>133081502
The two most obvious starting points are either SDF or Frontier. SDF because it's the first and gives you a solid grounding in the core themes present in Macross. However, the rampant QUALITY is oftentimes a turnoff. As an alternative, you can go with Frontier, which also gives you a solid grounding in the core themes present in Macross, though it's also packed with references that you will miss.

My personal Babby's First Macross was Frontier. I loved it, and watched the entire franchise starting from SDF onwards, and loved it all, too.

>>133082336
Do not listen to this man but do listen to Basara's song.
>>
>>133082359
you need a solid grounding in the core themes of Basara's ROCK
>>
>>133081502
Zero -> SDF -> DYRL -> Frontier
>>
File: 1408302557927.png (4 KB, 250x149) Image search: [Google]
1408302557927.png
4 KB, 250x149
>>133082252
>just watch the new ones the old ones arent even good
>>
>>133082650
>starting with Zero
No. If anything, go in release order. Zero works best when watched in close proximity to Frontier, given all that Bird Human Protoculture/Vajra mimickry stuff.

Also,
>skipping 7
>skipping Plus' glorious animation
>>
You have to start with Macross Zero, since its chronologically the first Macross, even before the "Macross" itself left Earth. Diving in the most interesting part of Macross Franchize - UN vs Anti-UN war, and Bird Aliens.

Zero is required watching for Frontier also, since they litterally film Zero movie retelling during Frontier and other important stuff.

After Zero, logically comes SDF where Macross lifts off and Earth is destroyed. SDF is core Macross and must be watched at any rate. Unlike Mobile Suit Gundam, it aged well and still looks good and fun to watch.

Do You Remember Love? - is a movie retelling of SDF, repeating much of same events, but having cult status as Star Wars has in west. Well worth watching, though not absolutely required.

Macross: Plus and Macross: 7 are question of taste. They are very different from other Macross shows same was Turn A gundam is from Gundam Franchize. You can skip both since Plus is side story. 7 is required for Frontier understanding, but stil stands out too much to normally recommend it.

And then logically, Frontier - the modern Macross that is while somewhat disappointing absolutely worth watching thanks to Yoko Kanno.
>>
>>133082252

SDF is classics and Frontier was great you fag.
>>
>>133082862
>You have to start with Macross Zero, since its chronologically the first Macross, even before the "Macross" itself left Earth. Diving in the most interesting part of Macross Franchize - UN vs Anti-UN war, and Bird Aliens.
I wholly disagree. It brings up plots that are pretty much disconnected from any other Macross but Frontier. It makes no sense to go from Zero to SDF because SDF feels nothing like Zero and Zero sensibly fleshes out nothing from SDF.
>muh Focker
Exactly.

FWIW, you can actually skip most the OVAs and watch them afterwards.

(Frontier -->) SDF --> 7 --> Frontier

The OVAs (Zero, Plus, all the 7 side materials including The Galaxy Is Calling Me and Dynamite 7) can pretty much be watched any time after starting the franchise, with the caveat that the 7 side materials be watched after finishing 7.

The movies are completely optional but highly recommended.

>Macross II
Watch whenever you'd like, with knowledge that it is explicitly non-canon.
>>
>>133082927
okay, SDF is a classic but frontier was just a lasershow with good songs. pretty forgettable imo.
>>
>>133081502
By chronological order
>>
Dont watch Macross shit.

Watch based superior Robotech.
>>
Are you here for the mechs or the singing?
>>Mechs
does QUALITY Animation bug you?
>yes
SDFM>DYRL>II>Plus
Watch nothing else
>No
DYRL>II>Plus
stop
>>Music
DYRL>Plus>7 &its accompanying shit>Frontier & its shit>Delta
>>
>>133081502

I really wonder how big this new series is going to be.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.