[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This doesn't make any sense! Can't they backup the memory?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54
The lifespan is 81,920 hours.

Let's say you used 40,000 hours to build the personality.

Then backup right here.

Every time it is near the 80,000 hours all they had to do is to format the memory, then restore the backup

And keep doing this forever!

You know occam razor.

This is just dumb, already dropped.
>>
File: smug.png (296 KB, 462x488) Image search: [Google]
smug.png
296 KB, 462x488
>>123958263
>watching a show about a cute robot girl being cute for the story
>paying attention to the story in anime at all
>giving the Japs credit for any sort of integrity regarding the creation of a coherent story
>>
>>123958263
You do realize they haven't explained shit about the memory span, why it "degrades", and what happens if it does, right?

I'm watching it because of the conspiracy theories.
>>
>>123958404
Basically this. These kind of shows are about making you cry like a little bitch, not making sense.
>>
This is a problem in real life robotics. The "memory" model doesn't hold up to actual mechanics. The ability to perform certain actions under certain circumstances is a whole unit concern, not data stored on a hard drive. You can't "back up" an entire organism. Not yet, at least.
>>
>>123958263
>Not just watching a cute show.
That stuff won't even matter for Isla until the last 2 to 3 episodes.
>>
>>123958444
There is no need to explain.

If the problem is on the hardware, backup memory. Change the hardware for a new one, then restore backup.

If the problem is on the memory, just restore to a previous working backup.

Anything too far from this is bad writing.

The only good plot logic would be:
- Lifespan is done on purpose, so the owners have to always buy a new one from time to time.
>>
You don't invoke Ockham's Razor when we don't know the first thing about the reasons behind the circumstances depicted in this work of fiction. We don't know how these androids are built nor how memory is implemented. We don't know why memory degrades. There's probably going to be some twist about it.
>>
I like this OP
>>
>>123958685
>The only good plot logic would be:
>- Lifespan is done on purpose, so the owners have to always buy a new one from time to time.
This is what I hope it will be.
>>
>>123958789
It's pretty great. If it wasn't for Seraph's it would be best of the season.
>>
>>123958685
>Lifespan is done on purpose
Big corporation that has a monopoly on the technology after making some sort of revolutionary advancement. Yeah, there's going to be a different reason behind this.
>>
Also it doesn't make any sense they have to personally disable the robot.

All they had to do is put a timer inside. And every time is reaches the lifespan it would automatically be disabled.

This simple.

This show is so dumb
>>
>>123958685
>there is no need to explain
What are they doing with the bodies then?
>>123959015
>>123958851
>>123958685
>time to time
One hyper realistic android per decade isn't a really good marketing strategy. Considering when you have your first Giftia waifu taken away from you by the retrieval committee you aren't likely to get another one.
>>
My assumption is that the amount of storage the robots have a limited? For example, say the robot stores data of its surroundings (info and w.e) every second (lets call it 'a'). So the bit rate 'a' times the time duration equals to the data stored. So w.e the bit rate is, the maximum duration these robots can run is 81,910 hours before hitting the max.

The anime states that the robots bug out when they pass their service time. Usually really important data, i.e basic operation, for microcontrollers are reserved at the beginning (or end) of the memory storage unit. It's my guess when these robots go past their lifetime, they being to overwrite the key data to operate.
>>
>>123959069
Or they could just get the guy to sign the agreement for retrieval at the same time as buying, so retrieval becomes 100000x simpler.
>>
>>123959091
If this is the problem, then restore to a backup when it had around 40,000 hours and keep doing this forever.
>>
>>123959081
>What are they doing with the bodies then?
Recycle.
>>
>>123959069
>Also it doesn't make any sense they have to personally disable the robot.
It does. If the owner wants to keep the giftia or not they still have to retrieve it to do the needed procedures
>>
>>123959172
Yea but then you have a robot that completely forgot a chunk of its life.
>>
>>123959081
They are given expiry timers so they can be retrieved after collecting a large amount of data and it will all be aggregated and used to make the perfect eternal waifu.
>>
Probably because the "artificial souls" or whatever are just not compatible with something as simple as restoring a back-up.
>>
The show is dumb, but not because "muh backups". If the machines are really nigh-human, then their memory would be as easy to backup as a human brain. The stupid part is this technology only existing in the hands of one jap company as a luxury good in a setting that's otherwise contemporary japan.
>>
>>123959081
10 years is fine as long as it's expensive enough.
They look complex so they could be really big investments, like a car.
>>
>>123958263
Wouldn't that still delete all 41,920 hours from after the backup? What if their personality changed because of some event that happened during that time? The backup personality wouldn't remember that, and wouldn't be the same one you spent all that time with.
>>
The whole office are actually robots except for the boss and that tall, rugged manly motherfucker with the great ass.

It's actually a psychology experiment to see how robots who are told they'll break down perform compared to robots who think they're real humans.
>>
>>123958404
>>123958534

It seems pretty obvious to me that the big tweest incoming is that memory doesn't actually degrade and there is another ulterior motive for retiring the androids. All of the examples we've seen so far have been working completely fine right up to the "deadline".

Saying "stop thinking about this it's not supposed to make sense" when only 2 episodes are out is a pretty fucking stupid suggestion.
>>
What if they are not really robots.
But instead artificial inorganic humans. They work the same as humans, but most of the molecules were replaced by an inorganic version similar in function.
As a side effect their brain cell ages a lot faster than an average human. And within 9 years, they age as much as 70 years of a normal human brain.
By using statistics they reached an average safe lifespan of 81,920 hours. This is a artificial human that could potentially harm others with any malfunction. So they use this lifespan to cover their asses so they would not get into any trouble. More like as an warranty.
>>
>>123959682
Would you stop loving your mother if the suffered some sort of amnesia?

Also this is better than letting them die.
>>
>>123959505
Cars don't die in 10 years.
>>
>>123959871
A lot of people consider Alzheimer's or general senility a living death.
>>
>>123959922
Have you bought a car in the last ten years?
>>
>>123959783
This.
I mean, apparently they can even bleed, so this seems more logical than simple androids whose memories can be backed up
>>
>>123960139
A 2012 Honda Accord, why do you ask?
>>
>>123959922
Computer devices that take a lot of physical stress like cell phones or laptops are usually in pretty shit condition after 10 years.
>>
>>123959922
Import age limit is a thing.
>>
>>123960202
I'll see you in 2017 when the warranty expires.
>>
>>123960252
What does that have to do with a car's life span?
>>
>>123959684
Yes yes, they're all replicants. Wait till they've dropped enough bombshells before starting the speculah.
>>
>>123960243
Isn't this why you replace them instead of taking the whole car to the junkyard?
>>123960297
Cars don't die when the warranty expires.
>>
>>123960434
They don't die completely, no, but components fail like clockwork immediately after.
Do you think planned obsolescence is a myth or something?
>>
>>123958444
And they won't ever explain it either because it doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>>123958263
>show is dumb because I have not been spoonfeed all the important information in the first two episodes
>And I think making backup and restores actually increases data storage

Haahaha, that's a new one, I'll give you 2/10. Even a simple show like PM is too much for you.
>>
File: zombiehat.png (593 KB, 850x856) Image search: [Google]
zombiehat.png
593 KB, 850x856
>>123958263
Backing up and restoring any large amount of data puts strain on the device being backed up, as well as the one receiving a backup. Backing up that much memory may be ill-advised, as it runs the risk of permanently destroying the storage medium that is being read from. Even if that isn't a problem, there's the problem of the new storage medium having tons of data written to it, thereby shortening its effective lifespan. All current storage mediums we have today, both Hard Disk and Solid State, have a limit to how much data they can read and write to, and once you surpass that you start running into things like bit-flip errors and the like. I can't imagine, with things like quantum mechanics and entropy getting in the way, that that caveat could ever be overcome. Even if time passes and technology improves, who's to say that the new storage mediums would even be compatible with older tech? You'd be hard-pressed to find a 10 year old motherboard with SATA ports, and the advancement of technology only accelerates with time anyways.
>>
>i-it's just an anime you nerds!

why are we supposed to allow bad writing to exist just because "well that's how anime is!" ?
>>
>>123960831
>All current storage mediums we have today, both Hard Disk and Solid State, have a limit to how much data they can read and write to,
Wrong. Solid State has no read limit. Only write limit.

>who's to say that the new storage mediums would even be compatible with older tech? You'd be hard-pressed to find a 10 year old motherboard with SATA ports
Adapters, PCI board with sata or IDE.

Even if the problem lies with the storage hardware. Then all they had to do is a RAID array with 3 mirrored storage devices each from a different supplier. And those pieces being replaced gradually in a period of 30,000 hours. Thus the storage medium would never be near the limit.
>>
>>123960831
And also, as an engineer, I''ll have to add that all systems are prone to memory leaks and data corruption, and you can't envisage having a system run perfectly indefinitely (specially self learning sytems such as some types of AIs). Therefore, it makes sense that Giftias have a lifespan, after which they breakdown.
They're essentially high end computers when stripped to the core..
>>
File: 1425357169111.png (797 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1425357169111.png
797 KB, 1280x720
Didn't Index have some sort of crap like this?
>>
>>123960661
see >>123960434
>Isn't this why you replace them instead of taking the whole car to the junkyard?
>>
File: 1428251429701.png (384 KB, 631x720) Image search: [Google]
1428251429701.png
384 KB, 631x720
>>123960888
The grills. If you actually take most anime you watch seriously, than you are literally more autistic than me.
>>
>>123960888
Somehow I think you are confusing being an ignorant twat with bad writing.
>>
>>123961194
I don't think that's possible.
>>
Why did the replicants expire in blade Runner, I can't remember but their lifespan was significantly shorter than 9 years no?
>>
>>123961194
I wonder why I keep seeing an increasing number of people who claim that anime is shit or that they don't actually like it on /a/.
>>
>>123960888
It's not bad writing. The show is telling you how the androids work. There's some degree of fantasy in how their "artificial souls" function. Trying to apply principles of how existing technology functions to Giftia is pointless. You don't need to frodo over every detail because you just passed your computer engineering midterm.
>>
File: mkultra-8.jpg (98 KB, 856x619) Image search: [Google]
mkultra-8.jpg
98 KB, 856x619
>>123958444
>I'm watching it because of the conspiracy theories.

the robot waifus were once living girls who had their minds erased through 6 months of torture
>>
>>123961191
Eventually the cost of repairs outweigh the total value of the car. Five years after the warranty runs out, you'll be paying the car's value in repair work every year, especially if you drive a European car (assuming you live in the US).
>>
>>123961340
Normalfags and /v/. People who complain about moe shit and that they can't find anything good when they aren't even searching in the first place.
>>
>>123960888
Do you really need to have everything exaplained from the beginning? When you read crime book, do you want murderer to be revealed at one of first pages?
>>
>>123961406
I would pay anything to fix my robot waifu. Wouldn't you?
If you say no then you don't deserve a waifu in the first place.
>>
>>123958263
I love how stupid you are. You have such low intelligence that you can't even fathom the notion of her mind existing as something other than 1s and 0s

Why don't you actually try reading up on AI and its various incarnations and possibilities before speaking
>>
File: Bueno plastic02.jpg (162 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Bueno plastic02.jpg
162 KB, 1280x720
>>123961194
This
Just watch it for the cute robot girls
>>
Why dont they use the robots for soldiers and officers and labor slaves so everything is free?

What happens if you rape one?
>>
>>123960661
Stop buying shitty cars, holy fuck. I've got an 1980 Toyota Corona, runs perfectly. I've had it for 3 years and nothing has gone wrong except the carb needed a rebuild (which is super easy).
>>
File: zombiesit.jpg (189 KB, 594x900) Image search: [Google]
zombiesit.jpg
189 KB, 594x900
>>123961133
>Wrong. Solid State has no read limit. Only write limit.
Any logical apparatus is subject to tear by usage, due to quantum mechanics and basic entropy. There's no such thing as something not having an operational limit. Even then, you need both read and write to back up and restore.
>Adapters, PCI board with sata or IDE.
Adapters would just add another point of failure to the transfer process, and just band-aids a potentially inevitable conclusion, where you reach an endless cycle of backup/restore onto new hard drives that probably already cost a fuckton of money anyways.
>>
>>123961566
If she was artificially created then whoever created them must know how to write and read the type of memory being used. Otherwise the robot wouldn't even turn on.

If they know how to read and write, then there is no barrier to create backups.
>>
File: do not fist.png (32 KB, 802x618) Image search: [Google]
do not fist.png
32 KB, 802x618
>>123961622
You know what happens.
>>
>>123961622
Your post just made me think of something.
If they have nosebleeds then they have hymens.
>>
>>123960888
It's just a contrived scenario, if you take the premises then the writing is effective. If you can't suspend your maxautism then you'll be bothered.
>>
>>123961688
Backups are going to solve shit. Putting a glass of water into another glass of water doesn't solve the space issue.
>>
>>123961558
I would, too, but I also take the time to learn how to fix my own shit.
>>123961666
I don't buy shitty cars, the people who wander into my shop do.
>I've got an 1980 Toyota Corona
Excellent choice. Old Japanese cars, Toyotas especially, are unkillable so long as you keep the rust under control. If you'd follow the quote train, you'd see I was originally talking about cars made in the last ten years.
My cars were made in 1990 and 1971.
>>
>implying they aren't organic
>>
>>123961666
They don't make shit like they used to.
Ironically, that's Isla's only hope too. She may get to live if she's so old that she doesn't break.
>>
>>123962073
>>
>>123962142
Because that would literally put them out of business. Like a lot of tooling machines were so good that after the company sells them, customers never need to buy more. Guess what happened to that company?
>>
>>123962194
>>
>>123962194
>not taking the hint that she wanted some clank clank action

Goddammit Tsukasa.
>>
>>123962232
>>
>>123962225
It would probably be better for business to sell periodic maintenance. With the emotional commitment, i imagine you could get more like that than by up-front costs.

I wonder what the used-giftia market is like.
>>
File: 1422743655915.jpg (1 MB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
1422743655915.jpg
1 MB, 1200x1600
Can I custom order a monstergirl giftia?
>>
File: robo-yuri.jpg (643 KB, 1358x960) Image search: [Google]
robo-yuri.jpg
643 KB, 1358x960
>>123962597
I don't know, you'll have to check the aftermarket for the appropriate parts and software.
>>
if they have free will why do they ever try to leave their masters?
>>
>>123958544
underrated post
>>
>>123958263
They can't force the drama if they do that.
>>
It's okay. She's a replicant.
>>
>>123959757
Getting booty blasted and dropping the show because you picked out a plot hole is equally stupid. Nobody is saying don't think, they're saying reserve judgement.
>>
>>123958263
obviously prevent the robot uprising

What would a robot do after its master dies? What if one didn't want to accept death? What if they learned how to make their own robot siblings? Heck you could eventually reach a point where the robots out number the humans in regular life due to the fact that they don't age and can be mass produced if demands are needed.

Give them short lifespans with deterioration and suddenly the risk of a uprising falls.
>>
>>123964639
The sci-fi being softer than you prefer isn't even a plot hole.
>>
Plastic;Memories
>>
File: michiru blush.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
michiru blush.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>123965072
VN when? I want to play Michiru's route.
>>
>>123965276
I want Michiru to scold me.
>>
>>123961688
>If she was artificially created then whoever created them must know how to write and read the type of memory being used
See
>Why don't you actually try reading up on AI and its various incarnations and possibilities before speaking

I hate stupid people like you, because I know that there is simply no educating or fixing you. You're always going to be stupid for the rest of your life.
>>
While the argument over whether the giftia time limit is true within the anime's universe is interesting, I'm more interested in the morality of Terminal Service's little assisted suicide program.

If we assume that the giftia time limit is at least as true as the current unavoidability of human death (say there are robo-telomeres that get too short at ~10 years, and while it's not fundamentally impossible to fix, it ain't gonna happen with current technology, and robo-cryonics doesn't work either for whatever reason), is it right to euthenize giftias peacefully a la Kevorkian, or is it more right to let them get robo-dementia and wait until they actually flatline (blue-screen)?

In any case though, Michiru not wearing her glasses all the time is definitely a crime.
>>
>>123961315
>I can't remember but their lifespan was significantly shorter than 9 years no?

Five years. But that was a legal requirement. They didn't want them to pose a threat to humanity, so they deliberately built in a minuscule lifespan.
>>
>>123959466
The opening of the last episode straight up said they have branches all over the world with the main one being in Japan.
>>
>>123958263
How long will you dumb retards keep trying?
>>
Do Giftias Dream of Electric MC's Cock?
>>
>>123958263
My theory is that you can actually copy the memory but the personality is lost just like normal people use external memory all the time but it is just memories without the person.

Perhaps the process of personality development is part of the degradation of the hardware so it is unique and can not be duplicated. Might be that such sophisticated AI is not possible in other ways without serious downsides in this show's universe and current technological development.
>>
>>123967735
Adding on to that. The reason life spans might be so time specific may be due to the usage of radioactive materials and other exotic elements that have precise life times.
>>
The show's main theme is about its drama, that's why they do not explain much about the technological side. Similar to Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go
>>
>>123966492
And they also said only the TS branch in Japan is the only one that handles terminations the way they do (as in trying to empathize a lot with the owners, others probably do it in a more straightforward/cold way).
>>
You can't back up love.
>>
>>123967823
The big question is: will there be a good enough story or will it degrade into some stupid angst or other shit? Although I wouldn't even complain if I had to drop it, this season, despite being a sequel rape-train, seems to have quite a few good shows (that are not sequels).

PS: Some people voiced "watch it for moe girls" argument, but that's just stupid. There's an endless supply of moe girls in anime, so you can actually choose those with moe girls AND a good story.
>>
>>123958263
the more relevant question is, will you be sad and teary when she dies in ep13 knowing it is even more forced drama than Menma's death?

I think I will just because she is too cute for me to drop this show.
>>
Better question why the Japanese even still around. I imagine by this point every sane man went and purchased himself a perfect Waifu bot by now resulting in the eradication of the Japanese people.
>>
>>123958263
For drama's sake.
>>
>>123969756
>the eradication of the Japanese people.
implying this type of Robot can't breeding.
>>
>>123969409
It's the delivery that really matters.

>>123969756
Getting a waifu bot that dies after a fixed period is basically setting yourself up to live an utsuge, not a very good idea.
>>
File: komoe-sensei.jpg (72 KB, 660x371) Image search: [Google]
komoe-sensei.jpg
72 KB, 660x371
>>123961188
I swear, anime has been too into the brain juice allotment shit too much.
>>
There's nothing sad or tragic about this anime. They're fucking robots.
>>
>>123958263
Why buy a robot to run away from depression if in ten years time the goodbye with it will sink you further in depression?
>>
If people spent some time reading previous threads we wouldn't have the same questions asked over and over again.
>>
>>123970240
You might have just created the ultimate Frodo question for this series.
>>
>>123970240
To have a reason to live for 10 more years.
>>
only watching this for main girls clumsy moe
>>
>>123969922
For story sake, you fucking retard.
>>
File: AI-REN3_193.png (161 KB, 822x1200) Image search: [Google]
AI-REN3_193.png
161 KB, 822x1200
>>123970240
Eh...
>>
>>123969086
>endless supply of moe girls in anime
I wish this was true
>>
What sort of asspull ending will be done in order that Isla keep her memories?
>>
>>123970525
Implanted with a human brain, especially MC, IF MC is human. Otherwise, get the romantic rival's brain and shove it up Isla's ass for maximum melodrama.
>>
>>123970525
MC hacks her and installs forget.exe.
>>
>>123969756
This is the true, hidden purpose of Giftia. Female sexbots collect semen in their bodies and freeze it. Then after they "die", they are re-fitted as male Giftia and impregnate human females.
>>
>>123958263
Limited HDD space.
>>
>>123958263
Monopoly and proprietary software. Just picture you installed Windows XP on your android.
>>
>>123970525
Robot memory doesn't actually degrade which will be found out when the MC refuses to terminate her.
>>
>>123970923
literally forced shitposting
>>
File: Iona & starfish.jpg (213 KB, 1200x712) Image search: [Google]
Iona & starfish.jpg
213 KB, 1200x712
>>123961688
>If they know how to read and write, then there is no barrier to create backups.

You didn't think about the actual problem before saying that. Your answer was based upon your desire to have a solution rather than about the android having a real-time dynamic memory.

It takes time to save memory. In a real-time dynamic android memory, not a finite clock memory full of processor halts like a PC, as soon as you started saving the contents, the other zones of memory not being saved would be out of time sync with the data you already saved. So if you restored her memory with what you saved, there would be a huge number of processing errors introduced.

A human brain doesn't have everything running in lock step with a clock although parts seem to be sort of like that. Right now, there is known to be a phenomenon with general anesthesia causing problems with many (though not all) people's brains if it is used a bunch of times. Evidently there is some sort of memory degradation. The human brain does trash collection by tossing discontinuities, so the general anesthesia must be the contributor.

Knowing these things, how would Isla #2 toss out those discontinuities when trying to make a copy? It doesn't seem the corporation has something that advanced yet. You can't "general anesthesia" Isla because if you shut her brain down, you have zeroes. Bad news when you turn her back on.
>>
>>123971074
Turn the android off.

Copy memory

Turn the android on
>>
File: 1383796253421.png (219 KB, 854x1024) Image search: [Google]
1383796253421.png
219 KB, 854x1024
>>123970525
>What sort of asspull

The opposite of chobit dick in pooper
>>
>>123971033
Robots terminate other robots, not humans.
>>
Idiots obviously never heard of magnetic tape.

>dat peerless $/GB
>20+ years shelf time

Master race
>>
>fuck Isla once a day for the next 80 days
>but in the end you'll have to get a new loli sex robot

Is this supposed to be a difficult moral imperative?
>>
Just assume that it's memory that changes state and starts flipping bits as soon as something external tries to access it.

Simple enough.
>>
>>123958263
Because

>MUH SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE IDENTITY

There is no technical issue to backup a memory at all.
>>
>>123958263
Surely they could just put a clause in the purchasing contract that says "We'll see you in nine years to pick up this buggy novelty". This show has more holes than the polish submarine.
>>
>>123958263
Your solution as you said was to reformat her memory. Did you think about what you said? So, you reformat her memory and what do you have? Her personality and prior memories are gone.

Restoring her personality from the backup is no good because it is full of errors due to her prior personality decay.
>>
>>123971101
There hasn't been anything that shows that a Giftia can be turned off.
As long as this stands, >>123971074's argument is valid.
But again, it's to early in the show, who knows?

>>123971229
This guy seems to know what he's doing
>>
File: michiru mad.jpg (674 KB, 1280x1448) Image search: [Google]
michiru mad.jpg
674 KB, 1280x1448
>>123971158
>having seasonal robot waifus
Disgusting.
>>
This drama won't happen if they have invested in Cloud storage. Then the anime would be about stealing other android memories instead.
>>
>Isla shows in episode 1 she's keeping a diary of everything she does
>Her memory is formatted
>She begins reading the diary again and falling (back) in love with Tsukasa

The ending is so obvious I don't understand why /a/ is debating it.
>>
>>123971205
Why do you assume they use the same kind of memory we use in computers?
>>
>not using ZFS

You got what you pay for, enjoy your bitrot proprietary NTFS garbage.
>>
>>123971284

What's wrong with having a seasonal waifu?
>>
>>123971229
And this is the case. Doesn't mean people are so willing after 9 years anyway.
>>
>>123971333
>making a memory that you cannot read it later
Fucking genius.
>>
>>123971309
It's not the quality, it's the quantity that fucks the robots.
>>
>>123971248
Backup is from 40,000 hours.

Should be without errors and be able to live for another 41,000 hours.
>>
Is this show an allegory to how we use and depose of computers (and their memory) without caring?
>>
>>123971398
Sounds like something Rambus would make.
>>
>>123971229
What if they didn't know about the time limit before they started selling robots? Then when robots started failing years later, they had to start the retrieval service as PR move. But they still have a nine year backlog of robots sold without a pre-agreed retrieval.
>>
>>123971333
How do the android read and write the memory? This shouldn't be an issue to an external device read and write the memory.
>>
>>123958263
I think the problem here is that the company is only willing to roll out memory hardware that will support a maximum of 81,920 hours. The old OS will then cannibalize occupied memory addresses in an attempt to continue saving progress, in which case cannibalizing memory will lead to errors. Perhaps the new OS is much more efficient in its use of memory, but the bottom of the problem is that company's unwillingness to roll out memory hardware with higher capacity (red head senior is bemoaning this). Perhaps its just too damn cost inefficient so their giftias can only 'last' roughly 9 years and 4 months before breaking down.

In any case, its a toaster, not your waifu.
>>
>>123971451
It's not about memory space, it's about processing power.
>>
We could have light bulbs that last around 10000 hours without a problem, yet they only produce those which last around 1000 hours. Why? Because they can sell 10 times as many. Same concept with the Giftias. Plus, we still don't know how that artificial soul thingy works so it's pointless to argue about it
>>
File: 1386285025197.png (473 KB, 727x890) Image search: [Google]
1386285025197.png
473 KB, 727x890
>robot police come to collect a guy's waifubot
>"FINE, GO AHEAD AND LEAVE. I GOT TIRED OF YOU ALREADY SEASONS AGO! FINALLY I CAN GET MYSELF A NEW SEXBOT, ONE WHO'LL DO THAT THING THAT YOU REFUSED TO DO EXCEPT ON MY BIRTHDAYS!"
>i-i'm happy for you, mastah, you don't need me...
>goodbye...
>waifubot goes limp as she gets turned off
>notice the otaku has rivulets of snot and tears running down his face now
>"how could I ever replace mai waifu? bwaaaaaaaaaaka"
>>
>>123971398
Maybe they need a special kind of memory to give the robots free will. It's not as unrealistic as it sounds. Humans don't store information with zeroes and ones either.
>>
Can't you guys shitpost about how Vivio can become temporarily an adult by talking to a flying rabbit? This doesn't make any sense either.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (30 KB, 423x367) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
30 KB, 423x367
>>123971309
>Bang Bang, Boom, Hack the cloud
>Inject my thick code into your waifus asscount when you're out of the house
>I'm a black hacker
>mfw
>>
>>123971541
Because they are using magic.
>>
>>123971541

Internal consistency is important for suspension of disbelief. The problem is not realism, it's having logical explanations that make sense in the setting.

Vivio can be explained using the Nanoha setting without significant problems. However this setting has more problems trying to explain all of the details and why they occur.
>>
>>123971690
So you would be fine if Plastic Memories would explain everything with magic? kek
>>
It doesn't matter how androids work. The show is basically about accepting that sooner or later everyone you love will die and there is nothing you can do to save them. It's art, not everything in it needs to be logical. You don't critique surrealist paintings for the improbability of forms.
>>
>>123971746
Did you even read his post?
>>
http://www.jornabloide.com/2015/03/justin-bieber-news.html
>>
>>123971690
They've already thrown out the term "artificial souls" if that doesn't sound like magic to you, then I don't know what to tell you.
>>
>>123971763
You're right, I critique surrealist paintings because they look retarded.

Not disagreeing with what you said about the show though.
>>
>>123971130
Hey man you know what I mean, he's going to stop it from happening altogether.
>>
>>123971782
His post makes no sense. Does he want a in depth technical explanation with lots of technobabble? This is the setting and the whole premise of the show, it doesn't need to be explained. In fact it's better without Star Trek technobabble for 15 year olds.
>>
>>123971158
I like your coldhearted style, but maybe you would fall for one of those cute loli sex bots.
>>
>>123971763
>The show is basically about accepting that sooner or later everyone you love will die and there is nothing you can do to save them.

I don't get the impression it's about that at all, the plot seems like your average dorama and will probably end like one. The sci-fi aspect is for decoration.
>>
The memory gets corrupted over time. If you back it up, you will just back up all the corrupted data alongside it.
>>
>>123971899
>If my life span were predetermined, I wonder how I'd handle that?
It's literally the opening line of the show. The whole show revolves around this concept.
>>
>>123971787

There's no mention of magic in my post (only someone's reply).

Even if the setting establishes that there are artificial souls, that doesn't mean that suddenly anything is possible. That wouldn't allow for the giftias to start flying or shoot laser beams.

>>123971850

I don't think explanations are needed, as long as a viewer could reasonably come up with one. Honestly I think the memory issue is fine. I find their overly human aspects much stranger, like needing to use the bathroom (and feeling uncomfortable when they need to).
>>
>>123971448
So why in all blue hell are they downsizing the damn retrieval division?
>>
>>123971960
>I find their overly human aspects much stranger, like needing to use the bathroom (and feeling uncomfortable when they need to)
It's to let you know that the giftias are pretty much the same as humans and the only difference is that their lifespan is predetermined.
>>
>>123971958
That depends if they stuck to that concept and didn't end the show with her retaining her memories. It will make for a better ending.
>>
File: Ghost-31.jpg (21 KB, 462x251) Image search: [Google]
Ghost-31.jpg
21 KB, 462x251
>>123958685
>Start storing memories
>SHITSHITSHITIT'S HAPPENING
>Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
>>
>>123972066
Which is classic anime/manga/VN style writing. You can hate it, but don't act like a retard. Instead, fuck off to /tv/.
>>
>>123971375
That's the point of a contract. You aren't legally allowed to refuse. "Oh, you don't want to give back the synth? Yes, Hello Mr. judgeman we have an agreement to repossess the synth."

You don't just get to pick and choose which clauses to abide by after you sign a contractual agreement. What's the first thing you have to deal with after you buy a new phone or tablet? Agree to the terms and services as set out by the company.
>>
>>123972066

Which IMO makes it feel out of place. Rather than try to create a story within a consistent setting, the setting is just changed without regard to further the message they want to convey.

The other things that feel poor setting wise is the the extremely poor treatment of the retrieval division. Not only are they not in the main building (which makes no sense), there's what >>123972037 mentions, and we don't even know how much area they really cover.
>>
Are the robots treated as property? Seems like there are bigger issues than their lifespan.
>>
>>123960738
you must be retarded, because you are ont able to understand simple mathematics.
>>
>>123967735
>My theory is that you can actually copy the memory but the personality is lost
That is an extremely retarded theory anon.
>>
>>123972345
I bet they have some rights. Legal system must be a mess though, what with potential modding or void the warranty of an android.
>>
>>123958263
Why assume they use classical information to store the personalities? If it's quantum, you run into no-cloning, perfect backups aren't physically possible.
>>
>>123972766
They probably have the same right as human, since the really look and act like an human.
>>
>>123972886

If they have the same rights, then they should be able to refuse being retrieved and shutdown. No contract can force you to do something that violates your rights.
>>
>>123972345
>Are the robots treated as property?
Considering that all it takes for a robot to get deactivated is the owner's consent, they sure seem to be treated like property.
>>
I want to put my property inside of them.
>>
>>123972968
They aren't closets.
>>
>>123972968
I want to use Isla's remaining HDD space to store BD rips of Shingeki no Kyojin.
>>
>>123972982
Says you.
>>
Guys, did you forget Robotic;Notes or Steins;Gate? There must some conspiracy or secret later about these giftia.

Just give it a fucking little time before whining.
>>
>>123958263
>retards still assuming that Giftia's brains are simple enough to be backed up
>retards still think a backup would even solve the problem
>>
I'm inside a plastic void, I turn into a plastic boy ;_;
>>
>>123973160
What if its just programed obsoletence so people need buy other robots?
>>
>>123973160
>mentioning Shit;Garbage
Fuck off.
>>
Noice.
>>
>>123958263
It's not about the mechanics of the technology, it's a sci fi show, you don't shit on fantasy shows saying 'this is shit magic isn't real'. The Giftias are obviously incredibly advanced, so who says their memory storage system is anything like an ordinary computer?
The show is obviously going to be about emotions and shit, not boring technobabble.
>>123972092
It would be ruined if Ilsa is allowed to live with some asspull, it would go against the themes of the show.
>>
>>123973445
>>
>>123973514
Nobody gives a shit about the themes of the show.
>>
>>123973313
Fucking retard, one of ;series writers is co-creator of this
>>
>>123973613
So basically TWEEST confirmed.
>>
Isla reminds me of renge, maybe its because her purple hue hair or maybe her brain problems.
>>
File: confirmed no pantsu.jpg (313 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
confirmed no pantsu.jpg
313 KB, 1366x768
Whats really important here is that Isla doesnt wear pantsu.
>>
>>123959091
If we're going to apply computing logic to this, that's dumb because programmers would write core functions to ROM
>>
>>123973532
I want to ravage her
>>
>>123973532
Is this sexual attraction or just teasing
>>
>>123973864
back off, she is mine
>>123973891
Why not both?
>>
>>123958263
See, but then they'd lose their memory, unless you're saying to replace all the corrupted data. Such as run function and and broken memory then just add clean ones.
That might work, but it probably wouldn't work because of
>muh privacy
>le storage capacity
>>
>>123973655
No shit.
>>
Is it just me or the second episode makes it seem like this show is shaping up to be a harem with worst girl winning by default at the end?
>>
>>123958263
OK! There is two theory acceptable
>>123959783
>What if they are not really robots.
>But instead artificial inorganic humans.
>>123960831
>Hard Disk and Solid State, have a limit to how much data they can read and write to, and once you surpass that you start running into things like bit-flip errors
>>
I want to make Isla turn on and off if you know what I mean.
>>
>>123967836
This. If you're arguing about the lifespan then you're missing the point. It doesn't matter whether their lifespans are 5 years, 20 years or 200 years because the focus is that the owner will one day be separated from the giftia and in the case of the giftias having longer lives than humans, they'll still be separated by death eventually.
>>
>>123973987
I'm fine if it's just perfect robot waifu vs bitchy human tsundere.

Red is already spoken for anyway >>123973445
>>
>>123974125
Dirty shutdown is not encouraged anon.
>>
>>123974125
I want to help her warm up if you know what I mean.
>>
>>123961558
It's weird how humans are alienated from products they use. If they like their androids so much, why don't they learn about their internals and find a way to copy these precious memories.
>>
>>123974551
That is pretty much like asking why don't humans just look at each others brains and copy everything.
>>
>tfw 30% off for the next one.
>>
>>123974594
If their default computer unit is so flawed, I'd just bought the body and installed my own standard CPU and wrote my own software (or grabbed something from github) that uses this body to help around the home and have sex with me.
Humans that cannot hack products they use are sooo dumb and powerless.
I hope we will see an episode about an owner that hacked his android to do something unusual.
>>
>>123974073
The more obvious reason for me is that since in the brain all data is interconnected, the more memories/experiences/data are there, the more work is needed to integrate a new memory with all the knowledge already processed. It's already explained that they currently don't have ways to delete memory (which is not like deleting a file in the computer, as a single data is probably not localized anywhere but completely spread like in the human brain).

It doesn't matter if you can double the processing power or space when the work in adding memories grow exponential/factorial with the amount of memories already there, you'll buy at best a few extra days that way.
>>
>>123974551
See >>123972783

It's entirely possible they're based on some kind of future-memory that you just can't copy. Quantum, which makes backups straight up impossible due to violation of basic physics, artificial pseudo-biology which would be as hard to copy as a normal human brain, etc.

>>123974973
Again, you're assuming they have a normal computer inside them. For all we know they might be running on physical approximations of real neurons and asking "why no one just asks them" would be more or less like asking "why aren't parents just hacking their kids when they get rude".
>>
>>123975363
>why no one just asks them
*hacks
>>
>>123958263
If their central processing unit is a direct hardware implementation of a set of algorithms (e.g. a system that uses deep reinforcement learning to generate robot body behavior from world perception) that uses e.g. memristors for memory it's quite possible that wires that could allow to access every memristor (and there are trillions) would take too much space/power to be included in the production model (they should be in place for prototype models though).

Also memristors have large but finite number of writes, so if they are updated in every incoming frame from vision sensors and body their lifespan could be just some years.

TL;DR
Need cheap androids => need cheap direct hardware implementations of control algos => don't have embedded debuger memory inspection because cost
>>
>>123975363
I agree, custom neuromorphic hardware is a plausible explanation for these limitations we see in the show.
>>
It'd be easier to see them as Homonculus, than an android.
>>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence
Just buy more! 30% discount!
>>
>>123975442
Imagine you have a crystal that has trillions of analog electronic parts etched inside it. Just how you hack it?
You cannot hack an old radio (you could still take out some parts though, because they are separate and not on the same crystal), it doesn't have a computer and memory inside.
And those androids' brains are probably a big analog circuit.
>>
File: product labeling fails7.jpg (28 KB, 580x392) Image search: [Google]
product labeling fails7.jpg
28 KB, 580x392
>>123958263
The human brain is self-clocking but also has semi-isolated portions that seem to have its own self-clocking. All this works due in part to the hysteresis delay between neurons. Without that time delay, if everything communicated instantly and had no compartmental separations, it would be similar to a short circuit as all communication would simply interfere with each other.

If the android brain is emulating this with memory cells ("memristor") then the concepts in >>123971074 are valid. Memristors would need to at least be tri-state to emulate neurons and such memory does exist.

It's assumed that the android memory uses trash collection in similar fashion to humans. During sleep, memories are sorted out and discarded or kept based upon strength and number of reinforcement connections. Over time, these memories will become more granular unless they are re-accessed again to reinforce the entire pattern. Androids could do the same as this. With such dynamic memories, trying to make a backup would be risky as memories might actually flow from physical location to physical location much as clouds float in the sky. Thus, any recording that was not instantaneous could result in memories being spliced to different memories. So the android using a power tool could have that skill immediately grafted to a memory of caressing your face. Thus, that android would immediately stop clipping your hedge with the electric trimmers and caress your face with the hedge trimmers. That is the consequence of using memory backups for androids if memories restored with discontinuities mentioned in >>123971074
>>
>2xxx, giftia memory doesnt support TRIM command.
>>
Inb4 you can stop the memory deleting process by making a easy shit hack.
>>
>>123971433
That's the way I'm interpreting it so far, but I get the feeling they're not going to stay on that track. If they somehow manage to keep going with that metaphor, and stick with it until the end, then I can see this anime turning out really well and being very powerful.

I can never bring myself to throw out old broken computers though, I've got like 4 towers and 3 laptops in the garage that are all broken down. Still clinging to that hope that I can fiddle around with them a bit one afternoon and they'll all just magically work again.
>>
File: ill-never-forget-you.jpg (394 KB, 1280x2160) Image search: [Google]
ill-never-forget-you.jpg
394 KB, 1280x2160
>>123977424
>>123977573
>>123977363
>It's assumed that the android memory uses trash collection in similar fashion to humans. During sleep, memories are sorted out and discarded or kept based upon strength and number of reinforcement connections

Is /a/ even watching the same show? Try paying attention to the source material.

Giftias don't forget. Full stop.
>>
>>123977859
I bet they are a legion too.
>>
>>123977859
With your logic, You have validated why 100% Giftia must be recalled before ten years have passed.

You have indirectly validated that there is no practical solution other than recall. Unless otherwise confirmed, the corporation in the anime is innocent of wrongdoing or complicity in deliberately designing flaws in a product. It simply fills up its memory and must be recalled before ten years.

Other people in the thread were trying to justify why or how some problems occur or might be alleviated or why some problems could not be alleviated.
>>
>>123971433
>Is this show an allegory to how we use and depose of computers (and their memory) without caring?

One could say It's the inevitability of old age for devices, androids, and people, so we must learn to let go. But this superficial deduction ignores the actual problem presented in the show --> the androids are being discarded while they are still functioning properly and with affection still being maintained.
>>
>>123977859
Even a smartphone or PC does trash collection and forgets a lot of trash memories but keeps essential data, images, and records. But you say that a Giftia must keep also keep all trash memories used in raw computation. That seems wrong.
>>
It's interesting what they're going to pull eventually but goddamit all characters are formulaic in the most annoying way
>>
>>123959307

I think you actually found the perfect reason as to why they are retrieving them.
This is what happens in real-life too, huge corporations collect incredibly vast amounts of data, if people are willing to pay for your chat messages, and internet traffic, then I am sure someone is willing to pay for 9 years information on every single thing you do.
>>
>>123959302
I don't remember shit from my childhood.
>>
>>123958685
>lifespan is on purpose

this is probably it. That way at the end of the series they can "fix" isla with a software update that extends her lifespan.
>>
File: Cat Typing.gif (226 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Cat Typing.gif
226 KB, 320x240
>>123979298
That would be an asspull for happy ending!

>>123958263
To prevent hacking, they have to make it hard to either access/read memory or to write to it. It seems to be a necessary security feature in an advanced society where many people (or even your cat) have access and knowledge in using information technology tools and automation.
>>
>>123977859
So there are also normal non-giftia androids in the world, hopefully they showcase them as well and if they suffer similar problems.
>>
Episode 03 pv:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjPwf1Sd9yo

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2mj0a1_plastic-memories-ep-3-preview_tv
>>
>>123958263
>You know occam razor.
Does that have anything to do with anything?
>>
>>123980219
Or at least the older type androids that don't have emotional capacity since the series mentions that giftias are next gen androids in that world.
>>
>>123958685
>Anything too far from this is bad writing.
This is the issue with hard sci-fi fags pretending they understand writing - they think realism is the point of fiction.
>>
>>123980391
people pretending to be hard sci-fi fags pretending they understand writing
>>
>>123958263
Or just pull some don't have to explain shit asspull and you have a happy end.

Most likely she'll (with the help from MC and his love for her) evolve and learn how to forget thus overcoming the memory limit.
>>
>>123980256
>held hands repeatedly every episode
>now living together

This is going too fast.
>>
>>123980256
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjPwf1Sd9yo

>The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

Why do you even bother?
>>
>>123981009
Are you retarded?
>>
File: anime heroes.jpg (3 MB, 3663x2304) Image search: [Google]
anime heroes.jpg
3 MB, 3663x2304
>>123958263
Asimovian cute story
YES I WANT TO FUCK ALL THOSE ROBOTS EVEN THE BOYS
>>
Do you remember all the fun times you had with XP-tan?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.