[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Anime Paradox: Patterns and Practices Through the Lens of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: nisekoi-Tsugumi-Seishirou.jpg (42 KB, 690x388) Image search: [Google]
nisekoi-Tsugumi-Seishirou.jpg
42 KB, 690x388
Has anyone read this? disagree or agree with the thesis?

>analyzing Anime through the lens of traditional Japanese theater
>Through the comparison of Anime with Noh, Bunraku, and Kabuki, The Anime Paradox provides a study on Anime's formal elements that produce specific narrative, structural, and aesthetic patterns.
>Founded on richly stylized expression, Anime has developed into an art with a high degree of sophistication that is comparable to that of the traditional theatrical forms of Noh, Bunraku, and Kabuki. By analyzing Anime through the lens of traditional Japanese theater, the patterns and practices in Anime can be mapped out. In The Anime Paradox, Stevie Suan utilizes this framework to reveal Anime’s distinct form, examining and delineating the particular formal qualities of Anime’s structure, conventions, aesthetics, and modes of viewing. However, the comparison works both ways—just as Japanese theater can give us analytical insights into Anime, Anime can enrich our understanding of Japanese classical theater.
>>
>>123433751
I forgot to add that I have the pdf if anyone is interested.
>>
File: thumbs up.jpg (41 KB, 398x500) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up.jpg
41 KB, 398x500
>>123433751
cool.
>>
Can't you do a tl;dr version for us.
Then I'll tell you if I agree or not.
>>
>>123433860
That would be nice. I'm interested why this book is 358 pp long.
>>
File: pg1.png (119 KB, 407x551) Image search: [Google]
pg1.png
119 KB, 407x551
>>123433979
>>
>>123433936
Anime is comparable to other sophisticated styles of Japanese art.

Unclear what makes that a paradox though
>>
File: pg2.png (77 KB, 396x439) Image search: [Google]
pg2.png
77 KB, 396x439
>>123433979
>>
tl;dr tsugumi a shit
also seems meh
€ 要€ら€ね€ぇ€よ€兄€ち€ゃ€ん€
>>
>>123433979
https://filetea.me/t1s3hBTc5xHSteeKaksYRAqAg

let me know if it is not working
>>
Fuck off.
>>
>>123434124
>>123434072
This guy has a huge boner for Trust and Betrayal.
>>
>>123434082
>Unclear what makes that a paradox though
>Anime is riddled with paradoxes that find their ultimate manifestation in the conventions of the form itself, in the confines that define it, that permit Anime to achieve certain feats. The various, specialized “parts” of Anime’s form are unified within its whole, a simultaneously existence of distinct parts in a concrete whole. Paradoxically, each “part” is equal to those around it and the greater production at the same time. Other schol- ars have noted this in some of its different manifestations, particularly Lamarre and his delineation of the “exploded view,” where each part of the Anime image is “at once apart and together,” existing (literally) on multiple planes but on one plane at once.
>>
Will look into it but I'm not expecting much
>>
>>123434345
>>123434082
>Among the other pervasive paradoxes in the Anime form is its blend of realism and unreality on multiple levels. Ōtsuka Eiji and Azuma Hiroki denote the “vivid fiction” of Anime (Manga, and Light Novels) as “anime/manga-like Realism.”
>>
>>123434473
>>123434345
>Christopher Bolton has noted how this blend of realism and unreality can be problematic for analysis as Anime skirts the fine line between the “real” and the “unreal.” Bolton compares Anime to Bunraku and proposes that the similarities between the “oscillation in the puppet theater between the real and the unreal, the unified and the dispersed subject, the violent de(con)struction of the body and a tender regard for it,” and that of the animated bodies of anime—specifically in the film The Ghost in the Shell: Kōkaku Kidōtai (Ghost in the Shell, 1995)—provides a method of reconcil- ing much of the ambivalence of the film’s treatment of the female pro- tagonist.
>>
How does any of this relate to me, the common romantic-comedy harem fan?
>>
>>123435044
>>123435044
His thesis is that Tsugumi is best girl as proved by the paradoxes of anime in relation to japanese theatre and that onedera a shit
>>
File: mix_papers.jpg (166 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
mix_papers.jpg
166 KB, 1440x810
>>123434072
>Average weeaboo's college thesis.pdf
>>
>>123435044

It doesn't anon. It's artsy fartsy types trying to find the artsy fartsy in anime because it's modest gain in recognition over the last 15 odd years.
>>
>>123433751
>Through the comparison of Anime with Noh, Bunraku, and Kabuki
Reminds me of some posts on /m/ a couple of days ago that talk about how mecha anime as a genre is essentially chinese wuxia mixed with kabuki hence why Western fans seem to squabble over Super vs Real Robots.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.