[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why Asukafags like Asuka? I even can understand Reifags, since
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 94
File: 1280216.jpg (246 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1280216.jpg
246 KB, 1920x1080
Why Asukafags like Asuka?

I even can understand Reifags, since Rei is basically the personification of the "ideal waifu". But Asuka is, kinda, the opposite of that ideal.

She is the personification of Anno's fears.
>>
>>121747344
They just like her for her body, that's all.
>>
>>121747344
>Rei
>ideal waifu

There's nothing there. She isn't interesting.
>>
>>121747344
How is Rei the personification of the ideal waifu?

It's like you don't want a genki waifu
>>
>>121747344
They like fapping to her.
>>
She is human, Rei isn't.

She is a lively young girl with a full personality and smile every time.
Plus: She probably has a pink pussy.
>>
Asuka would force you out of your shell, while with Rei you would continue being a total autist, even with a girl.

And also she has the best body out of all the pilots.
>>
>>121747690
That's so fucked up, how disgusting
>>
>>121747795
That's how they manage to self insert as Shinji. And probably why LASfags are so nasty.
>>
File: TsAfpJ.gif (382 KB, 704x480) Image search: [Google]
TsAfpJ.gif
382 KB, 704x480
I like Misato and Asuka, cuz they are human.
>>
File: PenPeniswinrar.jpg (41 KB, 797x450) Image search: [Google]
PenPeniswinrar.jpg
41 KB, 797x450
>>121747846
>2015

not having the best waifpet
>>
File: 1423865625343.jpg (257 KB, 600x537) Image search: [Google]
1423865625343.jpg
257 KB, 600x537
>>121747846
Excellent taste, anon.
I like Asuka, but a Misato is not bad either.
>>
>>121747782
Asuka would nuke your shell until nothing is left except for someone who wants to choke her to death. Rei at least cared about Shinji.
>>
THUD THUD THUD

honestly

she has no personality at all, and fucking her wouldn't feel as exciting. She would just stand there giving you this look.
>>
File: 1423964128926.jpg (57 KB, 200x300) Image search: [Google]
1423964128926.jpg
57 KB, 200x300
How to explain love ?
>>
File: sugar.jpg (29 KB, 279x304) Image search: [Google]
sugar.jpg
29 KB, 279x304
Yui is a woman who you would destroy the world for.
Rei is a woman who would destroy the world for you.
Misato is a woman who would destroy herself for your world.

Asuka is a woman who would destroy you and the world.
Best girl.
>>
>>121747344
Daily reminder that everyone who likes Asuka for anything more than body is just beta male brainwashed by SJW to such a degree that even in anime he prefer poser women who pretends to be independent and needs no man.
>>
>>121747782
>Think in German
One of my favourite lines and scenes in NGE right there.
>>
>>121748245
>not thinking in German all the time

Dummkopf, tust du überhaupt ?
>>
>>121748234
But I like Asuka because she is fragile and dependent.
>>
>>121748444
I w-would hold you, A-asuka-chaaaan
>>
>>121748392
Uhh... strudel...brautwurst..
>>
>Rei
>lovely personality of a white person
>Asuka
>violent and unpredictable personality of a nigger on a chimpout
They're the equivalent of white women looking for BBC.
>>
>>121747344
Asuka is the personification of Asukafags themselves.

I'm a narcissist so I like Asuka and the feeling of wanting Asuka to win Shinji is actually the feeling of wanting myself to win.
>>
File: 1424679845791.png (189 KB, 273x520) Image search: [Google]
1424679845791.png
189 KB, 273x520
I've never cared too much for NGE waifu wars, but I'm of the opinion that Rei is painfully bland and submissive. I know it's intentional, but that's not something I find attractive. Asuka and Misato have more going for them, and the doughnut steel pilot from the rebuilds is cancer.
>>
>>121748557
>>>/pol/
>>
>>121748392
>Dummkopf, tust du überhaupt ?
As a Kraut, this triggered me.
>>
File: esdeath.jpg (10 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
esdeath.jpg
10 KB, 300x169
>>121748164

>would destroy you and the world
>would destroy the world for you

either of those options, got your lady right here.
>>
>>121748659
Just have a Bratwurst with Currysoße
>>
>>121749026
It's called Currywurst, Volldepp!
>>
>>121749133
No shit. Do you think I don't know that ? But Currywurst does not sound German enough. The Soße is the important part.
>>
>>121748392

frauline fressen mein scheisser
>>
File: Asuka.jpg (199 KB, 550x900) Image search: [Google]
Asuka.jpg
199 KB, 550x900
I went over my best friend's house where I talked about how awesome Neon Genesis Evangelion was. He asked me who my favorite character is, and of course I answered it was Asuka Langley Sohryu. He said, "You know I have the same hairstyle as her." I told him yeah, he sure did. He looked like a total girl, and I suggested he get a man's haircut. After we both laughed at his girly hairdo, he then said, "You know with a little work, I could actually look like Asuka for you." I thought, what the fuck? Why would he say that? But he just kept going. "Yeah, I could dye my hair, cosplay, call you 'Anata baka,' and... I could pretend to be Asuka for you, if you wanted me to."

Holy shit, he totally looked like Asuka too. I didn't know what to think. We just stopped talking right then and there. I wanted to get out of there quick. He's a guy, dammit. After what seemed like hours, he chuckled girlishly and said, "Yeah. That was pretty gay." He went to the couch and we watched TV silently. I don't even remember what was on. Before I knew it, my body was moving on its own, and I had my arms around him, my hand perfectly fitting his. He blushed and smiled the cutest smile I've ever seen. Then I lost it, pulled his pants and boxers down, lifted him on top of me, and ravaged him right then and there right in front of the TV. Let me tell you, he felt better than a girl.

Pic related. It's him dressed as Asuka.
>>
>>121750297
if only this was real
>>
File: 1423593497035.jpg (239 KB, 1106x740) Image search: [Google]
1423593497035.jpg
239 KB, 1106x740
>>121747344
Asuka a bitch but the body game to strong

Rei a boring

Misato is the best
>>
>>121747748
>ginger/redhead
>human
>>
>>121747344
Unlike Rei, Asuka is proactive. She seeks out Shinji, approaches him, engages him in dialogue. Asuka is thus more likely to appeal to passive individuals. I mean, how to Reifags imagine interacting with Rei? They'd have to approach her on their own, otherwise interaction wouldn't happen.
Asukafags have a low self-esteem, they fear that due to their shortcomings they're unworthy of being liked. Asuka spelling their own shortcomings out that are embodied in Shinji, giving Shinji shit for how spineless and unmanly he is and thus clearly acknowledging what's wrong with him, yet still not giving up on him, has a cathartic component. Through Asuka liking Shinji despite his shortcomings, they're given the impression that Asuka could like them as well - despite their shortcomings.
People often mistake this with masochism, but I don't believe that it is all that masochistic at all. When Asuka insults Shinji, and through Shinji the viewer, the Asukafag doesn't see insults, he only sees his own self-image reflected back at him. People who aren't Asukafags only hear insults, it doesn't work on them.
>>
File: [vomitting intensifies].png (732 KB, 1300x417) Image search: [Google]
[vomitting intensifies].png
732 KB, 1300x417
>>121747344
Is there a secret option D where I'd go for a girl who isn't batshit and overly-dependent, a board, or a used-up slut?

There's probably other women Shinji could have gone for as he grew older, if shit didn't hit the fan. He is a pilot of one of the machines that saved the world, after all. Just say fuck you to Asuka and Rei. Getting a nice girl without either shit personality is better.
>>
>>121747965
It's been proved that she's not insensitive down there, so it'd be fun to experimenting on her reactions.
>>
File: 1423665899559.jpg (117 KB, 720x547) Image search: [Google]
1423665899559.jpg
117 KB, 720x547
>>121747344
Asuka isn't the opposite of that ideal. She's insecure, needy and desperate inside. Asukafags like the idea of "saving her" and also her tsundere nature.
>>
>>121752761
>Asukafags like the idea of "saving her"
I'm not too certain about that. I don't think most Asukafags think of themselves highly enough to believe they were capable of saving anyone.
>>
Asuka a shit
Rei a shit
Literally every character in NGE is shit, they're supposed to be shit
>>
>>121748557

Last time I checked, Asuka was the (mostly)white one and Rei isn't even fully human.
>>
>>121747344
Because ironically Asuka is the superior waifu, albeit not the superior person or character.

Having a waifu means you get yourself a surrogate girl/boyfriend of sorts. This character is someone you can't touch but only admire at a distance, and everyone else can do so at the same time. Everyone has their opinion on Asuka which may or may not hurt the Asukafag's own view and waifudom.

Like any relationship really, asukafags want theirs to be safe. They want it to feel secure, for it to be enjoyable.

This is what Asuka can guarantee them to some degree. Regardless of Asuka's status as a dumb bitch (Asukafags ignore that in favor of their own fantasy asuka), Asuka is always guaranteed to come out of any official Evangelion-story well because the writers also happen to be Asukafags.

That's what happens when the core writing team of a story has influence to adapt the story to their own waifu-related wishes. Put any other Asukafag in there, and you'd get bias.

This bias is the sole thing that has kept Asukafag fandom afloat for 20 years, whether or not they consciously realize as the effects are always the same regardless.

Therefore Asuka is the superior waifu, especially compared to Rei who is guaranteed to be tied up with trauma and severe degradation in all future Evangelion works at some points.
>>
>>121748164
Nope.

Asuka is a girl who would destroy herself and ignore the world for petty reasons.
Canonically what happened in NGE.
>>
>>121753327
asshurt Reifag detected
>>
>>121753393
>reifag
>saying asuka is the superior waifu
Now I've heard everything.
>>
>>121753426
He knows his place.
>>
>>121753393
Asshurt Asukafag detected.
Looks like I hit the nail straight on.
>>
>>121753327
>Finishes college at a ridiculously young age
>Dumb

Brash, irrational, and hot headed, sure, but calling Asuka (or anyone in NGE) an idiot is patently false.
>>
Asuka thread?
>>
>>121752941
>Implying NGE characters aren't ridiculously relatable
>>
>>121753486
It's not false, she acts like an idiot, and is dumb. Even intelligent people can do that, and it's also worth noting that graduating college at a young age doesn't guarantee their intelligence either.

Then finishing college at a "ridiculously young age" doesn't mean anything because we don't know what kind of college it is, or what the terms of graduation are. In NGE and Rebuild it's only ever suggested (by anyone else than an authority) for instance, not made absolute.

If you take the character seriously, you'd recognize it as a moe trait and nothing more. A character is only shown as intelligent through their actions, not semi-implied half-statements like in NGE. It's common for Mari-Sue esque characters for instance that they imply a bunch of credentials or attributes where the fans can "imagine" and fill the gap in the character with their own desires.
That's all Asuka's college graduation amounts to.

As a character she's quite the dumb bitch. EVA's characters are deeply flawed, which is why they're good. Asuka's failures takes precedence over wish-fulfillment nonsense like that.
>>
>>121747344
Rei is a husk. She is boring. There is nothing ideal about her.

Asuka is a normal person. She comes with good and bad which is what you have to except if you want a real person. As long as the bad isn't gobbling other dudes cocks, you should be able to accept this. You can't, however, so you seek ideals in anime girls. That is why you are a reifag.
>>
>>121753726
>Finishing college at 7 isn't shit, we don't know if it was Harvard or not.

lol ok Mr. Smarty Pants
>>
>>121752391
>>121752897
So, Shinji is Asukafag?
>>
>>121747344
>Rei is basically the personification of the "ideal waifu"
Do people ever actually watch the show? Rei is meant to be unnerving, she doesn't act like a person. She's in the body of a pubescent girl but she doesn't have any semblance of sexuality.It's not that she's sheltered and that she needs self insert-kun to awaken it in her, she just doesn't have one, Shinji falls on her while she's naked and she just asks him to get off. A very basic thing that all humans have is just missing in her. Hell, her name means "Zero".

People who think of her as a "waifu" are just substituting her personality with one more to their liking. They don't like the character, they just like the character design. Or alternatively they like the Manga/Rebuild version of Rei, who is considerably more standard as far as anime/manga tropes go.

Still, as afar as NGE goes, Rei is not the personification of the "ideal waifu". Rei is the personification of the uncanny valley.

Oh and before I get called an Asukafag or whatever, I really fucking like the NGE Rei as a character, I think she's really interesting. But she is not a character who could have any sort of romantic interest or involvement.
>>
File: Asuka 3.jpg (10 KB, 185x272) Image search: [Google]
Asuka 3.jpg
10 KB, 185x272
I went over my best friend's house where I talked about how awesome Neon Genesis Evangelion was. He asked me who my favorite character is, and of course I answered it was Asuka Langley Sohryu. He said, "You know I have the same hairstyle as her." I told him yeah, he sure did. He looked like a total girl, and I suggested he get a man's haircut. After we both laughed at his girly hairdo, he then said, "You know with a little work, I could actually look like Asuka for you." I thought, what the fuck? Why would he say that? But he just kept going. "Yeah, I could dye my hair, cosplay, call you 'Anata baka,' and... I could pretend to be Asuka for you, if you wanted me to."

Holy shit, he totally looked like Asuka too. I didn't know what to think. We just stopped talking right then and there. I wanted to get out of there quick. He's a guy, dammit. After what seemed like hours, he chuckled girlishly and said, "Yeah. That was pretty gay." He went to the couch and we watched TV silently. I don't even remember what was on. Before I knew it, my body was moving on its own, and I had my arms around him, my hand perfectly fitting his. He blushed and smiled the cutest smile I've ever seen. Then I lost it, pulled his pants and boxers down, lifted him on top of me, and ravaged him right then and there right in front of the TV. Let me tell you, he felt better than a girl.

Pic related. It's him dressed as Asuka.
>>
>>121753794
It could be a college for retarded pants.

The real world is more complex than graduating moe colleges.
>>
>>121753919

Bullshit. Rei is the Eternally Feminine, she's basically the incarnation of pure yin. And a mother of all life on Earth at that.
>>
I find the whole idea of a NGE waifu to be stupid. They are made to show how unnatural a girl like that would be, not be waifu food.

Rei is a blowup doll. You would end up being tired because she is like a dead weight you are dragging around
Asuka is completely fucked in the head. Would chomp your dick off in one moment and be a sobbing husk of a human the next.
Misato is somewhat better since she had more time to grow up but under pressure she cracks up all the same and is an alcoholic

You should pity them and get them mental help, not stick your dick in them.
>>
>>121753919
I was agreeing until
>People who think of her as a "waifu" are just substituting her personality with one more to their liking. They don't like the character, they just like the character design.

Because that's something that's clearly not true. Rei's personality is distinctly unique as you said earlier, and that's attractive. I think that because Rei scares you a bit, she's different you must think other people also think that way. Believe it or not, some find that interesting and attractive.

Which can even prove. If it was just the character design or the Rebuild versions of Rei that was interesting, then clearly those versions of Rei would be more popular or at all popular. But they aren't, are they?
Rei Q is nearly universally forgotten by the entire fanbase and almost loathed by the most vocal of the Rei fans, and manga Rei is strictly inferior to NGE Rei as response and polls prove on a more or less global scale.

I don't see why you'd be an Asukafag for writing that post, it's just that you're very mistaken about the character. It's your own point of view that needs to change, as it doesn't match up with reality.
Even the last part isn't true either, but it's a minor point really.
>>
File: Dio lost it.jpg (60 KB, 412x448) Image search: [Google]
Dio lost it.jpg
60 KB, 412x448
>>121748164
Damn it
>>
>>121753919
See >>121753327

You've got some good points in the beginning but the rest is just flat out wrong. The fanbase that picks the character by ignoring personality and inserting their own can't be Reifags, it's Asukafags. Asuka with a different personality is still "asuka" and gets even more attention, but Rei actually gets LESS if she doesn't have the same or an equally well-built personality.

Even the manga/2.0 variants of Rei were less popular than the original, but Asuka on the other hand ended up more popular than her original variant.

Point is that you wouldn't want to replace Rei's personality, you'd just want it to grow instead. With Asuka a total replacement is fine as long as she' sexually attractive and safe from an otaku perspective as wish-fulfillment, this going for both women and men.
>>
>>121753522
They are incredibly relatable, doesn't mean they're not pretty shit people.
>>
File: imouto.jpg (58 KB, 1920x814) Image search: [Google]
imouto.jpg
58 KB, 1920x814
>>121752657
>>
File: 1333387172083.jpg (40 KB, 500x341) Image search: [Google]
1333387172083.jpg
40 KB, 500x341
Asuka's problems remind them of their own

It's self destructive narcissism, they don't want to save her or be saved by her they want to cling to one another as they spiral towards destruction
>>
>>121753762
>Rei is a husk.
>There is nothing ideal about her.
>Asuka is a normal person.

This is what makes her perfect waifu, she is not a normal person. She doesn't act like normal girlfriend, e.g. she wouldn't want all of your attention, money, wouldn't get mad without a good reason or insult you when you did something wrong.
>>
>>121754249
>Point is that you wouldn't want to replace Rei's personality, you'd just want it to grow instead.

This mentality of expecting Rei to grow is what I mean when I say people want to replace her personalty. They think of her as some shy girl who's going to come out her shell or something.

Rei. Is. Not. Human.

She has no sexuality. Her sex organs do not function. Her biological body is probably about 5 years old.

She is the soul of something completely inhuman stuck inside a human shell and trying to figure out how all this shit works.

And guess what, at the end of the series she does grow, she grows into something entirely inhuman, now both in flesh and soul. That was what she was always meant to be. Saying that Rei is your waifu is like saying that Cthulu is your waifu.
>>
>>121747344
Shinji is a faggot who cry during combats and who want to resignate every episodes.
Rei is a drone.
And then asuka appears (ep 6 I don't remember) she love fighting she want to be the best, a good character.

I watched "gurren lagann" before NGE, perhaps this is the reason why I prefer her.
>>
>>121754616
Normal girlfriends don't act like that, mine never did anyway.
>>
>>121747344
anta baka wahad.
>>
>>121754629

Is the giant decapitated Rei head edible?
>>
>>121754630
pretty nice, i like the quotes
7/10
>>
>>121754629
>Not having an eldritch abomination as you're waifu
>>
>>121754629
>This mentality of expecting Rei to grow is what I mean when I say people want to replace her personalty. They think of her as some shy girl who's going to come out her shell or something.
I doubt anyone thinks he's shy, but that is clearly not the same thing as replacing her personality. It's a good trait to be able to improve upon yourself. Not just for people you interact with, but for yourself.
Then Rei is coming out of her little shell in NGE, little by little, so aren't you complaining about the character's personality? What's wrong with doing that?

>Rei. Is. Not. Human.
Sounds a little bit xenophobic there to me pal. So what if she isn't? She's human enough, and arguably on a moral scale she's a good "human" too. Isn't it a bit narrowminded to treat this as a negative? The point it's supposed to make is that non-human characters are also capable of good and personal value.

>She has no sexuality. Her sex organs do not function.
Whoah. That's a little bit far and something we can't exactly prove either. Why are you at all caring that her sex organs function anyway? Are people born sterile or whatever somehow less worth than other people, or even uninteresting? Maybe if sex is all you value a person by, but that means you're very narrowminded and outright simple.

>She is the soul of something completely inhuman stuck inside a human shell and trying to figure out how all this shit works.
Which makes her - compared to the person standing next to her - extremely interesting. It makes everything else seem boring in comparison.

>she grows into something entirely inhuman, now both in flesh and soul. That was what she was always meant to be.
You misunderstood the character I see. Rei explicitly asserts that she is herself first.

>Saying that Rei is your waifu is like saying that Cthulu is your waifu.
You won't want Cthulu as your mate or even friend? Why settle for human when you can get a god?
Better on his good side than his bad side.
>>
File: asukagermany.jpg (386 KB, 480x600) Image search: [Google]
asukagermany.jpg
386 KB, 480x600
>>121747344
cause she's german
>>
>>121754616
This is why I think Asukafags are lonely, beta cucks or similar. They have this perception that women are supposed to be bitchy, supposed to be whores, supposed to be dumb sluts who only want your money and attention, and just exist to get mad at you and then reject you.

Why on earth do you think that, Asukafags?
Women are people too, you know. Nice, beautiful people who isn't at all anything like you say, they're capable of every good you are and more. I have to chalk it down to your own lacking experience with women for you to say this.

Maybe because Asukafags are beta and Reifags are less beta, they see women as unreachable while Reifags see women as approachable. Rei doesn't feel real to Asukafags because they get rejected and alienated by women in real life, while Reifags are better at approaching them and feel acceptance instead. Rei is closer to home for Reifags while Asuka is closer to an Asukafag's experience of women.

Not that bitches and whores don't exist, but so do douchebags and faggots, which the asukafag is apparently likely to be.
>>
>>121747344
Asuka is perfect daughteru material, I want to take care of her and help her have a good and healthy life, plus she is fun and has "interesting" problems.
>>
File: 2618366.jpg (69 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
2618366.jpg
69 KB, 400x400
>>121748677
Mah nigga
>>
>>121754960
Mommy-problems aren't interesting. It's only an excuse for them to bitch about their lives while never having to face reality because they blame their parents.

Literally nothing worse than "WAAH MOMMY DIDNT LOVE ME"
no wonder she didn't cause you're a dumb bitch
>>
>>121747344
>She is the personification of Anno's fears.
You literally have no idea what you're talking about. Have you even watched Evangelion?
>>
Sure she a bitch

but she a bitch that Eva deserves
>>
>>121755009
Anon you're a very stupid person if you think those was he ronly issues or if that is how you think the show boarded that specific one, just commenting anyway I'm not here to follow along in your fagposting.
>>
>>121755194
It really is just mommy-problems, EoE practically solves them by saying "hey, mommy loved ya after all" and then she does the EVA-variant of super-sayan or something.

Sure, she's still insecure and all that, but you know what? That is so much less interesting than even the mommy problems.
>>
>>121747344
>I even can understand Reifags, since Rei is basically the personification of the "ideal waifu". But Asuka is, kinda, the opposite of that ideal.

To understand Asuka is to recognize her as a foil to Rei, and as a collective call-out to the idealization of the otaku community.

Asuka has many flaws, and is not meant to be appealing to everyone. On the other hand, she is human, and she suffers and fails both on the surface and in a romantic sense.

Although Shinji and Asuka are appealing to one another at some level, the overall complexity of the situation around them, and the emotional baggage which steadily creeps into the scene, drives them apart more than could ever realistically be conquered by their desires and any defiance they might hold to the current system.

While Shinji and Rei could actually be a pair in this scenario, and one which the viewer could self-insert, it requires Rei to be emotionally unsubstantial, essential soulless, to the point where even her existence is unnatural, inhuman, and reproducible.

Most people tend to love the extreme tsundere presented by Asuka, but I feel like they too fail to consider Asuka as an entire character, who really needs someone in which to confide and help work through her rotting emotional and mental well-being rather than a lover.

I don't find Evangelion to be a show for waifus, and that it is better to approach objectively, like one would do for Serial Experiments Lain. I don't like the rebuilds, though, so there is that.
>>
>>121754951
Not him but this is something I have not been thinking before.
My waifu is not Rei, but she is reserved and introvert too, so I think I can relate.
I don't have any self-esteem issues, I'm self-confident and I'm feeling ready to approach my waifu and try my best to make her enough comfortable that she would open to me.
But, my friends who really likes tsunderes(usually including Asuka) are rather reclusive and shy.
This is really counterintuitive, but it seems to be true.
>>
>>121755397
I think you fail as much as them really. Because you've just considered a very multifaceted set of characters from one angle, that of coupling and shipping.
You're actually worse than those who like Asuka for a genuine simple trait (tsundere), because you'd easily twist the meaning of the characters to better suit your scenario, making you that much more toxic and if I have to say it, dangerous to the community and it's well-being.

The result is that you're fairly wrong about what Rei and Asuka is, which is contextually not something that fits what Evangelion was in the 90's and what the otaku community is.
>>
>>121754850
Look mate, if you want a moon sized onmnipotent god being who's mere existence dissolves your ego barrier and reduces you to a puddle of tang as your waifu more power to you. My point was that most people who are obsessed with Rei, at least that I've seen don't even take most her character into account. They think of her as a sheltered/unique human, rather than something entirely alien that just happens to be in the form of a girl.

I harp on sexuality so much because sexuality is a HUGE part of relationships. And I don't mean just sex, I mean every kiss, cuddle, flirtatious glance, secret smile from across the room, etc... things big and small that every couple on earth takes for granted, would be missing from a relationship with Rei. Kissing her would be like kissing a corpse, and it would never get better. she could understand the reason behind a kiss, but she could never have that spark, have that shiver down her spine or any of those warm little biological quirks that make human sexuality exciting.

>Rei explicitly asserts that she is herself first.

Really not sure exactly how this was relevant. She asserts herself but she still becomes something entirely inhuman, or should I say, reveals herself to be entirely inhuman.

>You misunderstood the character I see.

Could you stand to be just a little less condescending?
>>
>>121747344
I´m no Asukafag, but I like that she´s written to be dislikeable. You don´t see that very often.
>>
>>121747344
Beneath her bitchy exterior and under her layers of trauma, she's the only person in the series who actually cares about Shinji. Rei isn't human enough to count. Misato pities him, but that isn't the same.

She cares. That makes all the difference.
>>
>>121755543
That anon used romantic interest as a way to explore characters in a unique and relevant way. In no way did he suggest that shipping is the most important part of their characters.
>>
>>121755543
>I think you fail as much as them really. Because you've just considered a very multifaceted set of characters from one angle, that of coupling and shipping.

I approached it from that one angle because I was countering the quoted line from the OP.

>You're actually worse than those who like Asuka for a genuine simple trait (tsundere), because you'd easily twist the meaning of the characters to better suit your scenario, making you that much more toxic and if I have to say it, dangerous to the community and it's well-being.

That's a valid complaint, since rumination often leads one astray of the blatantly obvious. However, I do not see how someone's faulty interpretation of events leads to an infection of the community, unless the thoughts gain a following.

>The result is that you're fairly wrong about what Rei and Asuka is, which is contextually not something that fits what Evangelion was in the 90's and what the otaku community is.

I may very well be wrong, but I cannot see the manner in which I am wrong. In fact, I thought I was going to be called out for parroting a popular interpretation of the work, as I have heard similar thoughts to mine from many different sources over time.

By any chance can expound on "what Evangelion was in the 90's and what the otaku community is" ?
>>
File: Absolutley Pathetic.png (90 KB, 209x750) Image search: [Google]
Absolutley Pathetic.png
90 KB, 209x750
Now I'm not an Asukafag, but from a writing perspective, she is a good, strong character.
She has strong personality traits that set her apart from other characters, and there are reasons she has those traits, and they are explained.
She has a specific goal in mind, and she has motivations for seeking that goal, and they are well explained.

I don't however think that her personality is desirable, or healthy for a relationship, if she were real I would find her very unlikable and I'd not want to be around her at all.
>>
>>121755687
>Look mate, if you want a moon sized onmnipotent god being who's mere existence dissolves your ego barrier and reduces you to a puddle of tang as your waifu more power to you.
While that was my point, (the "more power to you" bit), you're exaggerating what Rei's existence there is.

>My point was that most people who are obsessed with Rei, at least that I've seen don't even take most her character into account.
In my experience, they're the only ones that really do. You account for instance isn't very accurate and you're by my guesstimates not obsessed with the character.

>I harp on sexuality so much because sexuality is a HUGE part of relationships. And I don't mean just sex, I mean every kiss, cuddle, flirtatious glance, secret smile from across the room, etc... things big and small that every couple on earth takes for granted, would be missing from a relationship with Rei.
Now this is where I bring you down and back to reality, where I would make clear that such things are exempt from all characters in Evangelion for one simple reason: they are not real.
Therefore what you have there is merely a simple obsession with sex.

If you want to forget that boundary and cross into imagination, even then you'd be wrong I believe. Why wouldn't Rei understand the reasons behind a kiss, or never have that spark? If Rei showed us anything it's that emotionally she's capable of growing and understanding. There is a disconnect between emotion and expression, which is the point Rei serves to show you.

>Could you stand to be just a little less condescending?
I believe you're being condescending towards an entire group you don't know, and that you do deserve my honest opinion that you misunderstood. I only say you do because I can and have earlier shown you why you've misunderstood.

>Really not sure exactly how this was relevant.
Because at this point, Rei proves that she isn't meant to be anything else than what she asserts. She is free. More power to her.
>>
File: eva custom 07.jpg (24 KB, 258x338) Image search: [Google]
eva custom 07.jpg
24 KB, 258x338
The lonely tears and projection in this thread are seriously making me sick. Anno must be fucking laughing at you.
>>
>>121750297
>>121753967
Nice duplicate
>>
>>121754951
I don't think you get Asukafags. Refer to >>121752391.

What you and many other Reifags perceive as a negative trait, is in a fact a positive trait in the eyes of an Asukafag. What a Reifag perceives as an insult is perceived as a personal address by an Asukafag.
>>
File: 1390416862791.jpg (116 KB, 852x600) Image search: [Google]
1390416862791.jpg
116 KB, 852x600
>>121747344
I was exactly like asuka when I watched NGE, minus the general bitchyness.
So yeah, people see themselves in her.
It's the whole "I need to be the best because that's the only way for me to prove myself to others and when other people are better than me in even the smallest thing I fall into coma."
>>
>>121755758
>In no way did he suggest that shipping is the most important part of their characters.
By mentioning it as the only reason, he does.
Because that reason is also demonstrably false as the show itself is not concerned with making couples, his point is also entirely lost.

>>121755845
>I approached it from that one angle because I was countering the quoted line from the OP.
Having a waifu or being a reifag/asukafag doesn't tie into shipping like you would suggest. See above.

>However, I do not see how someone's faulty interpretation of events leads to an infection of the community, unless the thoughts gain a following.
You realize you more or less explained indirectly why it would infect a community? To gain a following, infection, quite similar isn't it? People want to believe something that benefits them, all you need to do is to spread your disease and infection will follow. Write a wiki, write a recommendation list, write a fanfic, that's what you do. Post on 4chan even. It's not just one person that does this, but thousands.

>In fact, I thought I was going to be called out for parroting a popular interpretation of the work, as I have heard similar thoughts to mine from many different sources over time.
Mhm. Refer to the apart above.

Evangelion in the 90's came out as an original anime without the support or expectations any of it's spinoffs would receive today by day one. The anime otaku community back then are used to entirely different things than today, which would be feisty girls with slapstick humour added on top for great effect. It's the bread and butter of anime.
The otaku community and anime had to change to adopt much of what Evangelion brought with it, and Rei was one of those things - there was something created from nothing, the archetype nearly sprung into existence and the character could not have been an emulation of existing tropes. Asuka on the other hand, was on the literal level just that considering her backstory.
>>
>>121756176
>By mentioning it as the only reason, he does.

No, he doesn't. I would agree with you if he had wrote a 3000 word essay about Asuka's character and her thematic and symbolic significance, but this is a 50 or so word text post. You can't make assumptions like that off of such small statements.
>>
>>121756143
I don't think so. If you see how Asuka fans generally refer to their character, it's always a version which completely denies the original character by removing those uncomfortable parts.
The popularity of non-original Asuka's is particularly interesting to prove this point because as a rule, they are always rewritten as nicer, stronger person than the original was.

In short, Asuka fans base their fandom on denying the original Asuka in favor of a fantasy one. The traits you speak of are only factored out of the individual interpretation the asuka fan has of Asuka, and only brought up to use as "waifu cred" like you do right there.

It's a little bit like doublespeak, you claim Asuka is flawed but once the flaws are expounded upon they are quickly denied or hated. It is a little bit nightmarish because it alludes to the scenario of self-delusion present in 1984 (hence doublespeak), as the Asuka fan's defense of newer, edited and more boosted versions of Asuka is "Asuka was always this strong". Just like we were always at war with Oceania.
>>
File: 1424482182003.jpg (501 KB, 838x638) Image search: [Google]
1424482182003.jpg
501 KB, 838x638
>>121747344
- The taming of the beast. They think of themselves as some sort of superior alpha male that could easily get through the tsun barrier, when in reality they would be getting slapped even harder than Toji and Kensuke.

- They're incredibly boring/quiet/shy people, so they need someone to spoonfed them their flaws. They like the idea of constantly being bossed around.

- They just like the character design.

The saddest part is when Asukafags start crying out "muh real human bean with emotions and shit", as if an actual 3DPD woman would behave like that.

Now, before anyone starts with the epik "assmad Reifag detected" greentext. No, I'm not a Reifag. I think the idea of labeling yourself as a *fag is fucking retarded. I love how all the characters in NGE were written, but that's the end of it. I don't go around telling people "no dude listen, this is why my favourite character is better than yours!".
>>
>>121756307
>No, he doesn't.
This isnt' something you can debate. He quite clearly mentions only shipping and a hypothetical 3000-word essay written by him doesn't.

You have 2000 characters on each 4chan post and he chose to spend them on shipping. If anything it just tells us more about what his focus is.
>>
>>121756343
>I don't think so. If you see how Asuka fans generally refer to their character, it's always a version which completely denies the original character by removing those uncomfortable parts.
The Asuka with the "uncomfortable parts" is what they got attracted to in the first place though.

>The traits you speak of are only factored out of the individual interpretation the asuka fan has of Asuka
No, I don't think so. Asuka without the tsun-tsun wouldn't be Asuka.

>It's a little bit like doublespeak, you claim Asuka is flawed but once the flaws are expounded upon they are quickly denied or hated.
Again: what you perceive as flaws isn't perceived as flaws in the eyes of the Asukafag.
>>
>>121756385
>You have 2000 characters on each 4chan post and he chose to spend them on shipping. If anything it just tells us more about what his focus is.

Are you fucking serious? To base someone's entire perception of a work on a 50 word post they made in a few minutes on 4chan to respond to another specific comment is utterly ridiculous. That's like seeing someone eating toast and butter for breakfast and therefore concluding that they eat only toast and butter for every meal.
>>
File: 1193372994394.jpg (9 KB, 250x217) Image search: [Google]
1193372994394.jpg
9 KB, 250x217
>>121750297
I'm sure you meant
> Pic related. It's him dressed as Asuka.
>>
>>121755944
Well this is going nowhere fast. I think we could do this all night but I don't think either of us would gain anything from it. So I'm going to bed, good night and enjoy your cartoons everybody.
>>
>>121756380
>They think of themselves as some sort of superior alpha male that could easily get through the tsun barrier
I don't think that applies to Asukafags. Misatofags or Reifags are more likely to see themselves as alpha. The fact that they consider Asuka's behaviour as insulting alone betrays a high self-esteem.

>- They're incredibly boring/quiet/shy people, so they need someone to spoonfed them their flaws. They like the idea of constantly being bossed around.
This is a lot more characteristic of Asukafags.

>No, I'm not a Reifag. I think the idea of labeling yourself as a *fag is fucking retarded. I love how all the characters in NGE were written, but that's the end of it.
Yes, you're a cancerous retard who should probably get back to ANN.
>>
>>121756498
It's not ridiculous, in the same vein as a freudian slip nothing can be more telling than the unconscious immediate and unsuspecting reaction. Unlike eating breakfast as routine, this is spontaneous and reveals his own thoughts that are, arguably wrong as NGE doesn't really work hard to make couplings and has more focus on the individual than just that.

Either way his point isn't accurate, or even right.
>>
Is it just me or is this thread like an animal show?
>>
>>121756546
Good night, but do think about what I said concerning the sex, emotions and Rei. It's clearly wrong to say Rei can't appreciate thoughtfulness, kindness as well as tenderness when she does just that in NGE, if anything it has an exaggerated effect because she's never really had any.
>>
>>121756556
I don't even know what ANN is.
>>
>>121756460
>The Asuka with the "uncomfortable parts" is what they got attracted to in the first place though.
I don't think so, as it is so often denied and looked aside. The aesthetic, tsundere and sex-appeal overshadows the actual character. Which leads to this:

>No, I don't think so. Asuka without the tsun-tsun wouldn't be Asuka.
Case in point, it's not just tsun-tsun, it's a whole lot of fucked up problems which leads to her trying to kill herself in a bathtub and to go catatonic and crazy in the series, this being how her original character ends in the anime. Referring to this as tsun-tsun is hardly acknowledging the real character. Because the real character of Asuka in comparison with Rei, made itself more inaccessible emotionally and practically in terms of getting over their own problems. Rei is not an ideal partner but she has the basics, the drive to improve on herself that Asuka lacks.

>Again: what you perceive as flaws isn't perceived as flaws in the eyes of the Asukafag.
That would make them rather crazy or as I said: nearly entirely ignoring the actual character that is laden with flaws, insecurities and whatnot that can't be brushed away.
It's not that they don't consider them flaws, they refuse to at all consider the terribleness of the character's mental and emotional state.
>>
>>121756589
Regardless of the validity of his statements, nothing that he says actually suggests that he thinks couplings are the most important part of NGE. He simply chose that as the angle to approach this particular question from. That does not suggest any sort of Freudian slip or anything of the sort. Had a general question been asked about NGE and the response was from a shipping angle, it would be more reasonable to assume such a thing.

Also, I think you're wrong in thinking that couplings are irrelevant in NGE but that's another issue entirely.
>>
>>121756792
My point is that it forms the more important part of his argument. He chose an angle that would be impossible to chose (as it isn't really there in NGE) unless there is an exaggerated focus on it like I suggested.

Couplings are irrelevant in NGE as far as the characters on this level are concerned, they only become relevant as the only relevant thing later spinoffs.
>>
>>121756927
OK, so you see the entirety of his argument as being flawed because you don't see romantic interest as being a legitimate argument in NGE. I suppose that's fair (though I disagree with you), but its still no grounds to accuse him of being a shipfag or drawing conclusions on his whole impression of the series.
>>
>>121756767
>it's not just tsun-tsun, it's a whole lot of fucked up problems which leads to her trying to kill herself in a bathtub and to go catatonic and crazy in the series
This is less an aspect of her personality itself but more a consequence of how she copes with the events happening around her. Asuka is not a character whose personality is that of a girl who kills herself in a bathtub. Her character is most of all characterised by her inferiority complex which expresses itself normally in her tsun-tsun behaviour. Asukafags don't deny that personality at all.

>Rei is not an ideal partner but she has the basics, the drive to improve on herself that Asuka lacks.
I don't think people want an "improved" Asuka.

>That would make them rather crazy or as I said: nearly entirely ignoring the actual character that is laden with flaws, insecurities and whatnot that can't be brushed away.
Did you read >>121752391? There it is perfectly explained why said flaws aren't perceived as flaws. Again: people don't brush away anything of that, they appreciate the character because of it. That is the very opposite of brushing the flaws away, it is full-hearted acceptance of them.
>>
>>121756632
>t's clearly wrong to say Rei can't appreciate thoughtfulness, kindness as well as tenderness when she does just that in NGE

Ya reeling me back in mate!. I didn't say that, seriously read my post, I said she could understand but lacked the biology or human context to actually reciprocate in human/waifu-ish way. seriously you replaced my argument with one more to you're liking.

Also thanks for the internet psycho analysis, sure my boyfriend will be surprised to find out i have an obsession with sex.

And now I really am out! for real this time.
>>
>>121757017
>I said she could understand but lacked the biology or human context to actually reciprocate in human/waifu-ish way. seriously you replaced my argument with one more to you're liking.
I don't think so since this is more or less the same. The human context is there as shown, the reactions are human despite Rei not being human, thus the proof is made concerning abhuman figures.

Rei is like you suggest less sexual, but how is this something negative for anyone but those who puts sex on top of some list of importance regarding characters? Sleep now
>>
>>121757015
You know, this is getting quite surreal. Asuka literally does attempt to kill herslef in a bathtub and go catatonic, yet this is somehow unrelated to her personality?
>Asuka is not a character whose personality is that of a girl who kills herself in a bathtub.
which only semi-true because someone got there in time to prevent it.

This is becoming eerily very much like I suggested, you really are ignoring the character and inserting a fantasy version where there are no flaws just tsun-tsun.

You're denying that very personality yourself, and if your'e an Asukafag yourself you've fulfilled the very example of what makes you lose this argument entirely.
>>
>>121757105
>Rei is like you suggest less sexual, but how is this something negative for anyone but those who puts sex on top of some list of importance regarding characters?

You don't need to be concerned only about sex to care about sexual aspects in a relationship, or even to consider them as highly important.

Also I'm a different anon, just to clarify.
>>
>>121757002
>OK, so you see the entirety of his argument as being flawed because you don't see romantic interest as being a legitimate argument in NGE
It isn't, and if you think so you're seriously a shipfag. It's the quintessential essence in being a shipfag, placing value on the characters potential as romantic interests rather than as individual characters in an overall story. Because this is completely subjective it's one hundred percent nearly an argument of wish fulfillment.
>>
>>121757219
You do need to do so if you're considering it for a fictional character, who literally doesn't exist and could never reciprocate physically or sexually in any way whatsoever.

If you care for sexual aspects in relationship, there's nothing stopping you in having a good time with Rei were you and she so inclined. Rei wants to become one with Ikari-kun after all, and likes to top if EoE is any indication.
>>
File: 1423950233001.jpg (15 KB, 350x320) Image search: [Google]
1423950233001.jpg
15 KB, 350x320
>this thread
>>
>>121757246
>placing value on the characters potential as romantic interests rather than as individual characters in an overall story

Those two aren't mutually exclusive. Although shipping in the conventional sense doesn't work in NGE, to claim that romantic and sexual relationships are nonexistent or unimportant in NGE is completely false.
>>
>>121757204
>Asuka literally does attempt to kill herslef in a bathtub and go catatonic, yet this is somehow unrelated to her personality?
Are you unable to understand what I wrote? Read it again:

>This is less an aspect of her personality itself but more a consequence of how she copes with the events happening around her. Asuka is not a character whose personality is that of a girl who kills herself in a bathtub. Her character is most of all characterised by her inferiority complex which expresses itself normally in her tsun-tsun behaviour.

Killing yourself in a bathtub is not a personality aspect. It's an action induced by a certain type of personality under certain consequences. Asuka's personality drives her to drastic actions due to the plot and the outer circumstances - and Asukafags are well aware of that. The issue is: what makes Asuka act in that way is most of all the outer circumstance, it's not her innate drive to act in such a manner and different circumstances would obviously lead to a different type of behaviour.
>>
File: asuka-scissors.jpg (28 KB, 350x400) Image search: [Google]
asuka-scissors.jpg
28 KB, 350x400
Broken-bird moe
>>
>>121757292
Fair enough, I suppose. Though I would claim that the scene in EoE is more of an extreme visual metaphor than an actual sexual act.
>>
File: dontdodis.png (80 KB, 203x223) Image search: [Google]
dontdodis.png
80 KB, 203x223
>>121757393
YAMERO
>>
File: rofl.jpg (225 KB, 1000x694) Image search: [Google]
rofl.jpg
225 KB, 1000x694
>tfw you realize kaworufags are paying for another asuka ending
>>
>>121747344
More like why does people try to get a waifu from Evangelion since every girl from that show is autistic or stupid
>>
File: 1423371336297.gif (655 KB, 500x338) Image search: [Google]
1423371336297.gif
655 KB, 500x338
>>121757393
The broken Asuka is at least as appealing as the regular Asuka.
>>
>>121757352
You're merely externalizing Asuka's personality to "the plot and outer circumstances", when the drive behind them are clearly very internal.
This is her exact innate drive, and like predicted you are denying it entirely thinking it's just tsun tsun.

Asuka's personality is a weak, unstable and one she can't recover from without help, and this is a fact that hurts you and therefore you rationalize it as tsun-tsun and blame the external factors.
Asuka can't handle reality. She needs help.

Therefore Asukafans reject the real Asuka in favor of one that is more cheerful, stronger and more comfortable, one that didn't go into a coma or try to off herself in a bathtub for ultimately very petty reasons.

There weren't any different circumstances, Asuka's personality was like everyone elses in NGE put to the test, and Asuka failed. It's why Shikinami is so popular, and only ever met resistance once she stood a chance of losing the shipping game.

Within the Asukafag lies the drive to love "broken bird moe" and also to at all deny that Asuka is broken. Height of self-delusion.
>>
>>121757569
>try to off herself in a bathtub for ultimately very petty reasons.
>Dead mother
>Absent mother
>Loved by no one
>Used by everyone
>Holds on to self worth through piloting world saving robot and putting self in consistent danger
>Loses even that after mind rape by eldrich abomination
>petty reasons

Yeah, Asuka's reasons for depression are pretty fucking legitimate. She clearly isn't just think she is weak and suicidal by her very nature.
>>
>>121757569
If you think Asuka would kill herself under any circumstance and her life would always linearly lead to the point where she sits in a bathtub attempting to die, then you're a retard. Clearly she was driven to that point by outer circumstances.

The reason why she reacts like this is her frail personality but the cause is still the events in the plot, losing her ability, being surpassed at the one thing which she believed made others appreciate her, etc.

Do you understand the difference between "underlying reason" and "cause"?

An Asuka that isn't mindraped most certainly wouldn't end up in that bathtub. She still has the same personality, but she commits different actions since she's not driven to that point due to the plot. You need to learn to differentiate the character from the context.

>Therefore Asukafans reject the real Asuka in favor of one that is more cheerful, stronger and more comfortable, one that didn't go into a coma or try to off herself in a bathtub for ultimately very petty reasons.
I think you're projecting. Refer to >>121757436. If you think the broken Asuka wasn't appealing to people too then you must be out of your mind. However, the most archaetypical Asuka is obviously the Asuka from the beginning of the show, at the point where she hadn't been broken yet.

>deny that Asuka is broken.
Again, this is you talking. I've never seen an Asukafag say that.
>>
>>121757686
Absent father

And

>She clearly isn't just think she is weak and suicidal by her very nature.

She is clearly not just weak and suicidal by her very nature.

Fuck I suck at making edits mid post.
>>
>>121757686
They're petty reasons, because you like her are referring to events far in her past and blatant untruths like nobody loves her.

Like Asuka, you're unable to look into yourself (or Asuka) and accept that she is the problem enabling her own suffering. She choses to stay back at Arael, she choses to seek out the bathtub. There wasn't anyone pushing her there or forcing her.

She has no self worth, which is why she needs to base it entirely on eva-piloting.

Her reasons are petty because instead of seeing reality as it is, she blames everyone else instead of trying to improve on herself. She can't cope with reality or ANY sort of resistance.
This is fucked up, and it's not just tsun-tsun. It's a deep weakness she is the worst at in NGE. Not just tsun-tsun.

Indeed, Asuka fans just replace the real Asuka with one that wasn't a failure. This is the same type of self-delusion present in Asuka.

>>121757796
See above. She loses her ability and screws herself over because like you, she refuses to accept the reality of the situation: she's the problem and only she can make it better for herself.

>Again, this is you talking. I've never seen an Asukafag say that.
You are both doing it by blaming external circumstances that others went through as well in the series but met different ends.

A point to both of you:

When Asuka in Rebuild after fighting Sahaquiel realizes she couldn't keep up and it was on her, she did something the original Asuka never did or could.
>>
>>121757862
>>121757796
>>121757686
I'll have to buzz off.

You can't convince me otherwise either, as you are still just excusing Asuka instead of dealing with the reality of her true character, not the fantasy one you need to believe in.
Had you seen Asuka for who she truly was, you might not be Asukafags.
>>
File: 1398547402169.gif (276 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1398547402169.gif
276 KB, 500x375
>>121757569
>Therefore Asukafans reject the real Asuka in favor of one that is more cheerful, stronger and more comfortable, one that didn't go into a coma or try to off herself in a bathtub for ultimately very petty reasons.

I fucking don't, I like suicidal Asuka what bloody asukafags have you been talking to
Fuck Shinikami, the eyepatch can stay though
>>
>>121757862
>She loses her ability and screws herself over

>She loses her ability
How is that not an "external circumstance"?

Again: your whole logic is flawed since you fail to distinguish between the character's personality and the character's behaviour within the context of the plot. Due to Asuka's personality she is inclined to certain things under certain circumstances, but without being mind broken she wouldn't end up in that bathtub.

>Asuka in Rebuild
We're talking about the original Asuka here.
>>
>>121757686
People go through that and come out fine.

It's a fundamental aspect of Asuka's character that she will succumb to her weakness.
>>
>>121758072
>How is that not an "external circumstance"?
Her as in *HER* ability, not really external. Especially when one's ability to pilot is based on one's psyche.
Rei and Shinji go through a lot worse than Asuka and they can pilot just fine.
>>
>>121758097
>It's a fundamental aspect of Asuka's character that she will succumb to her weakness.
No, it's not.

Her weaknesses are a fundamental aspect of Asuka's character.

Succumbing to that weakness is a consequence of the things that happen to her within the plot.
>>
>>121757862
>They're petty reasons, because you like her are referring to events far in her past

I don't know about you, but if I walked in on my mother hanging by her neck by a fucking rope I would be scarred for life. Every single thing I would do from that point on would be affected by that experience, and I would never, ever forget it. To claim that a length of time could would dull such a blow is utterly ridiculous.

>blatant untruths like nobody loves her.

Shinji and Hikari are probably the only people who are genuinely concerned about Asuka, with Rei and Misato, possibly caring about her.

>Like Asuka, you're unable to look into yourself (or Asuka) and accept that she is the problem enabling her own suffering. She choses to stay back at Arael, she choses to seek out the bathtub. There wasn't anyone pushing her there or forcing her.

This is technically true, but I feel that you are expecting an unreasonable amount of strength from this character.

>She has no self worth, which is why she needs to base it entirely on eva-piloting.

Absolutely true.

>Her reasons are petty because instead of seeing reality as it is, she blames everyone else instead of trying to improve on herself. She can't cope with reality or ANY sort of resistance.
This is fucked up, and it's not just tsun-tsun. It's a deep weakness she is the worst at in NGE. Not just tsun-tsun.

Again, I feel like you are expecting an unreasonable amount of strength from her character here.

>>121757956

>Implying Asukafag
>>
>>121757569
Strong people who have had a troubled past create goals, have resolve, and find things that make them happy. yeah once in a while it breaks down and they have a bad streak. but that's normal. and if they needs help they seek out a small but very trusted people.

"perfect" daddy's little princesses like rei, dont think they have flaws. so they dont seek out goals, resolve, or help. they seek out chads to fuck non-stop balls deep from 16 until 30 when the the bio clock hits. then need a betamax to marry and support the kids, like reifags
>>
>>121758151
Because of her own personality and character. You can't separate the two.
>>
Empirically better.
>>
>>121758140
>Rei and Shinji go through a lot worse than Asuka and they can pilot just fine.
I seriously doubt that. Also, there is no global measurement for "worse", since this is an individual issue.

Asuka got mindraped by Händel and she folded as a consequence.

Being mindraped is nothing internal, it's something that is externally done to her. Due to her frail psyche she can't deal with it, but the cause is still an external one. This is nothing to debate, this is a fact. If you're unable to understand this, then I can't help you.
>>
>>121758158
>I don't know about you, but if I walked in on my mother hanging by her neck by a fucking rope I would be scarred for life
But not broken for life or necessarily prone to making it the point of your existence. That happens to real people who go through worse, everything from rape and torture and they prevail.
People are not equal, and Asuka is weak.

Time does dull the blow. Not as much for the weak.

>Shinji and Hikari are probably the only people who are genuinely concerned about Asuka, with Rei and Misato, possibly caring about her.
In other words, a blatant untruth.

>This is technically true, but I feel that you are expecting an unreasonable amount of strength from this character.
Not unreasonable, I'm just making it clear that Asuka's internal weakness and personality, unlike what self-deluded Asuka fans claim, is the reason for her not being able to cope.
>>
>>121758184
Yes, but her character was put through a massive amount of stress. The specific way she cracks and how much it took for her to crack is dependent on her personality, but NGE Asuka is in no way destined to crack in such a way.
>>
>>121758184
Personality is an aspect of the character.

You're the one missing the greater picture since you fail to understand that a character who due to the plot is made to go through a certain event that ends up in character development could easily be taken out of the context at an earlier point where he or she hasn't undergone that yet. A character's personality in a plot is something that linearly develops.
>>
>>121758223
>I seriously doubt that. Also, there is no global measurement for "worse", since this is an individual issue.
Then why do you bring up such measurements in mentinioning the shit asuka goes through? By those measure what Shinji goes through is worse, much more Rei.

Asuka got mindraped in the same way Shinji and Rei did, the Angel brought up their own issues which they both handled differently. Asuka was the only one who folded because she hadn't accepted that part of her, she couldn't see her own failures as her own.

When she does, she breaks. This is internal, very much so.

She also goes on for a long time after the mindrape, it's not what gets her, it's her own weakness she isnt' able to overcome.

There is nothing you say that can be understood because it's just an asukafag delusion. Your waifu isn't as great as you think, not even close.
>>
>>121758236
>Asuka's internal weakness and personality, unlike what self-deluded Asuka fans claim, is the reason for her not being able to cope.
I've never met an Asukafag who would deny this. I think you're massively projecting.
>>
>>121758252
>Yes, but her character was put through a massive amount of stress. The specific way she cracks and how much it took for her to crack is dependent on her personality, but NGE Asuka is in no way destined to crack in such a way.
She is destined to crack in such a way. It's the only possible alternative there is to her character unless she gets magical help or a rewriting of her character, case in point:
End of Evangelion
Rebuild of Evangelion

Asuka could not, and could never overcome her own problems. This is because she never confronted them until she was forced, and because Asuka is weak unlike Shinji or Rei, she can't take self-criticism and so she breaks.
>>
I'm a submissive bitch who likes being humiliated and bossed around
>>
>>121758236
>But not broken for life or necessarily prone to making it the point of your existence. That happens to real people who go through worse, everything from rape and torture and they prevail.

They "prevail" by figuring out how to cope with said events. They do not forget them, they do not get over them, these are events that follow you forever. Asuka learns how to cope in an unhealthy manner, and when that is taken away from her due to outside circumstances she falls apart. Is it weakness? I'm not sure. She goes through much more than most people probably could before cracking. I'm not really sure its even an important discussion.

>In other words, a blatant untruth.

Fair enough, although she never opens up to either of them and probably never internalized that either cared for her.
>>
>>121758324
This entire thread is filled with examples. Are you blind?

Observe how they try to separate Asuka's inability to cope with reality by blaming reality instead of Asuka. The reality was that asuka wasn't as good as she thought she was, and that it was her own fault. Her approach, her mindset, her everything was wrong, and she couldn't face that fact because she bet her entire life on EVA-piloting. It's a tragic character, but it's also her own flaws that bring her down, exactly like a good tragedy does.

Instead these asukafags pretend it's not her fault, that it's all on everyone else to blame that Asuka is just a doll with no free will. If you paid taxes for irony, I swear to you these asukafags would be broke.
>>
Speaking of red and blue, what exactly is Rei's stance on Asuka? Is it a mutual aversion to each other or does Rei just not care? Or is it something different altogether?
>>
>>121758408
>They "prevail" by figuring out how to cope with said events.
Correct, which asuka can't do. Nobody said forget, we said cope, and that's what Asuka can't do. Throughout the enitre series she consistently fails to address reality and her own problems, which leads to her own demise. She had the time, resources and ability to do so just like Rei and Shinji had.

Her own weakness caused her misery, it hurt too much to accept she was wrong, and therefore reality kicked her ass.
>>
>>121758432
She thinks Asuka is a cunt, but a cunt that deserves help nonetheless.
>>
>>121747344
Just started the anime today.

when does the /ss/ happen?
>>
>>121758298
You're talking to two different people here. The post you're referring to wasn't mine. Also, "the shit she goes through" doesn't put things in relation, thus it's perfectly fine to be used - very much opposed to your comparative statement.

>Asuka got mindraped in the same way Shinji and Rei did
No, she did not. But even if, given Asuka's past and frail personality it's understandable that she'd be more inclined to fold under pressure.

>When she does, she breaks. This is internal, very much so.
But what breaks her? Did she attack herself? No, the attack comes from the outside. It seems unbelievable to me that you're unable to understand this.

>She also goes on for a long time after the mindrape, it's not what gets her, it's her own weakness she isnt' able to overcome.
She's unable to get back up, but what got her down in the first place was something forced upon her from the outside.

>Your waifu isn't as great as you think
What you half-witted idiot don't seem to get - despite the fact that at least two people have told you this already - is that nobody is under the impression that Asuka was "great". People don't want her to be great, they like her just the way she is, with all that emotional baggage that makes her lash out at people, insult them, and completely break down and attempt to kill herself under too much pressure.
>>
>>121758357
Is the same not true of Shinji? He couldn't deal with his problems until a space god in the form of a friend agreed to destroy the world and mix everyone together into one being for him. By that logic, Shinji is just as weak as Asuka. Hell, none of the characters ever face their problems until confronted with utter catastrophe, with the sole exceptions of Rei and Misato. Even Misato only ever recognizes her problems, she never fully deals with them. This is one of the throughlines of the whole fucking show.

>>121758483
I suspect you're the same anon, but even if you aren't this is your response as well.
>>
>>121758420
>This entire thread is filled with examples. Are you blind?
I think this is more your own problem due to selectively reading things and being a rather simple person whose brain stops working when subordinate clauses are involved.
>>
>>121747344
this is indirectly summoning Moot!
other than that Asuka best grill
>>
>beta children who would let their girlfriend cheat on them and be okay with it
Asuka
>men with great taste
Yui, Misato, Rei
>>
>>121747344
It's obvious that people could only ever theoretically like Asuka for her body, and it's impossible for anyone else to have a different taste than you about her character

It's obvious that people could only ever theoretically like Rei because they think she's a doll and they have power fantasies and it's impossible for anyone else to have a different taste than you about her character

There! Now you don't have to read the thread.
>>
File: 35877515_big_p38.jpg (82 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
35877515_big_p38.jpg
82 KB, 400x400
>2015
>Rei vs Asuka war still raging
>those who understand who best girl is are still in the minority
>(it's Shinji)
>>
>>121759070
You seriously need to kill yourself.
>>
File: 47691927_p32.png (109 KB, 700x450) Image search: [Google]
47691927_p32.png
109 KB, 700x450
>>121759155
>>
File: 1422176926941.png (956 KB, 707x1000) Image search: [Google]
1422176926941.png
956 KB, 707x1000
>>121759155
How can you say that this is not the best girl?
>>
>>121747344

nice projecting
>>
File: asuka.jpg (212 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
asuka.jpg
212 KB, 1024x768
>>121747344
I'm love Asuka regardless of her flaws
>>
File: 47941557_p10.jpg (415 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
47941557_p10.jpg
415 KB, 1024x1024
>>121759070
>Shinji only has merchandise now because of Kaworu
>>
>>121759600
>>121759225
>>121759070

Shinji confirmed a best
>>
>>121759600
>>121759824

is it wrong that I want shinji and kaworu to end up in a threesome with mana
>>
File: Asukasip14.png (538 KB, 535x750) Image search: [Google]
Asukasip14.png
538 KB, 535x750
All things considered, I think this thread turned out pretty well. Too bad the gayfags will ruin it now.
>>
>>121759918
It's time for you to head to the gym.
>>
>>121759965
It's time for you to kill yourself.
>>
File: lel.png (179 KB, 462x450) Image search: [Google]
lel.png
179 KB, 462x450
>>121759918
>gayfags
>>
>>121760002
Not till I see your sexy body.
>>
>>121760076
Too bad.
>>
Would Shinji be an Asukafag, since he have a shitty self-esteem?
>>
File: SHINJI2015_zps2dnpixa1.png (1 MB, 1024x713) Image search: [Google]
SHINJI2015_zps2dnpixa1.png
1 MB, 1024x713
>>121759918
It's not gay to love Shinji.
>>
>>121760593
Shinji was an Asukafag until it got too real for him. Then he became a Kaworufag.
>>
>>121760847
Fujoshits pls.
>>
File: eva24_0151.jpg (41 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
eva24_0151.jpg
41 KB, 720x480
>>121760918
It's not really a fujoshi thing to say. He lusted after pretty much every main female and he also lusted after Kaworu.
>>
>>121760847
But Kaworu wasn't even invited to his birthday party.
>>
>>121761022
Shinji wasn't desperate for attention by then, since he was getting it from everyone else in his mindscape. In the end, Shinji began to develop into a Shinjifag, which is as it should be.
>>
>>121747344
>>
>>121760593
no, he liked Asuka but even he was bothered by her bullshit.
>>
File: old versus new.jpg (149 KB, 1251x974) Image search: [Google]
old versus new.jpg
149 KB, 1251x974
We know who best girl is.
>>
>>121761072
>strong women
>asuka
>>
File: 138138573920.png (129 KB, 322x320) Image search: [Google]
138138573920.png
129 KB, 322x320
>>121747344
Asuka is best girl

Anybody who thinks that an autismo like Rei is an "ideal waifu" is fucking idiot.
>>
>>121761428
But she was created to take the ideal waifu to a disturbing extreme. She's passive, which was a desired trait, to the point of seeming dead and being unable to express herself.
>>
I like Asuka because I like the idea of saving her from herself. I just want to hug her and tell her everything is daijobu.
>>
>>121747795
Kek'd
>>
Which Asuka is the most popular?
Soryu or Shikinami?
>>
>>121758532
The point still applies to you regardless, and it's not fine to be used like you suggests as it only uses one point of view and therefore is 100% biased.

>No, she did not.
Yes, she did. The exact same basic issue, the reaction is stronger for Asuka because she's too fragile and weak underneath it all. It brings forth, for each of the pilots, the insecurities and truths in their heart. It differs by the person, and Rei and Shinji handle their issues better since they're more reflected than Asuka.

>But what breaks her? Did she attack herself?
Pretty much. First off, the attack is something she's literally exposing herself to. She refused to back down and did something dumb due to her own weakness.
Second, the attack only exposes her inner truth and fears, and it is not the fears that break her it's her inability to cope with them being brought up. Everyone has fears, some greater than Asuka's, but Asuka can't handle them. The attack is by definition internal since it only uses things within Asuka to break her.

>She's unable to get back up, but what got her down in the first place was something forced upon her from the outside.
See above. It's something that was always inside the character, that's all the Angel does. It brings out the truth.

>s that nobody is under the impression that Asuka was "great". People don't want her to be great, they like her just the way she is,
Which has been proven wrong by the fact that these people are rejecting the core facts of asuka's character. It's not about Asuka being great, it's about you thinking she's greater than she is.

>>121758575
That goes more for you than me. Denying the reality just like asuka does.
>>
>>121762909
Shikinami according to fanart, polls, fanbase activity and more.
>>
>>121758567
Shinji is stronger since he doesn't buckle under the pressure as quick as Asuka does. It took far more to bring Shinji down than it took Asuka, and Shinji still manages to reach out to a few people, bond, and then have them taken away. Add in a couple of Angel mindfucks through Leliel and the rest, and you've got someone who found the courage to stand back up.

Shinji also never loses enough of his psyche to become unable to even pilot his EVA. Despite it all, his heart is open enough and not closed off and he can still pilot.

But it's true that the rest of the cast don't fully solve their problems either, but like you also suggest the thing is that they were able to realize they had a problem, then they tried finding an answer and taking action, something Asuka never does.

It's primarily above all things, even retarded angel powers and cat hats, what sets Shikinami apart from Soryu. Shikinami since her introduction is able to make the conscious, and fundamentally human reasoning that she, I, herself, couldn't succeed. Without the delusion of her predecessor.

In a sense, Shikinami offers Asuka fans the Asuka they replaced the original Asuka with in their minds.
>>
>>121763076
>Pretty much. First off, the attack is something she's literally exposing herself to. She refused to back down and did something dumb due to her own weakness.
Again: the attack is something forced upon her by the outside. If you deliberately expose yourself to bricks that are thrown out of a window and you catch one in the face, then your injury is still caused by physical trauma rather than stupidity.

>The attack is by definition internal since it only uses things within Asuka to break her.
It's still an outside factor. If the aforementioned brick hits you in the face, is it internal weakness of your bone structure and frailness of your human body in general that causes injury? No. These things are the reason why the brick can cause injury, but the brick is still the cause.

>It's something that was always inside the character, that's all the Angel does. It brings out the truth.
This is what I said, worded in an overly esoteric fashion without getting the point. The underlying reason why things work is Asuka's frail nature (something which despite your supposed knowledge of Asukafags most Asukafags are well aware of) but the cause is still an outside attack.

>Which has been proven wrong by the fact that these people are rejecting the core facts of asuka's character.
Who is "these people"? Would you mind quoting them? I'd like to see the specific line you're referring to so I can tell you precisely why you're a moron.

>It's not about Asuka being great, it's about you thinking she's greater than she is.
Thank you for telling me what I think. I don't know how often I have to tell you that Asukafags don't think of Asuka as being great, they're well aware of her flaws - in fact, that's what they like about her.
>>
File: soryuu shikinami.png (474 KB, 980x798) Image search: [Google]
soryuu shikinami.png
474 KB, 980x798
>>121763138
It pains me to think that there are people out there who think Shikinami is only just a name change.
>>
>>121761072
Sometimes this quote really makes me wonder, did Anno even watch his own show or read his own characters?
Is Rei not strong just because she isn't expressive and outgoing like Misato, or constantly yelling and angry like Asuka?
They are undoubtedly strong and determined people, but out of the three of them Rei is by far the most willing to throw herself directly into danger in order to protect her fellow Eva pilots, and in extension humanity itself.
She isn't indecisive like Shinji, or distracted by narcissism like Asuka.
>>
>>121763364
>Shinji is stronger since he doesn't buckle under the pressure as quick as Asuka does.
Shiji left Nerv 2 or 3 times.
It was necessary to be mind raped by a space monster for Asuka freak out.
>>
>>121763557
There's someone out there who doesn't even give much thought to that.
>>
File: 1424056659633.png (175 KB, 412x411) Image search: [Google]
1424056659633.png
175 KB, 412x411
>>121763640
>Rei is by far the most willing to throw herself directly into danger
>>
>>121763670
Asuka freaks out constantly, the difference between her and Shinji is that Shinji has more free will and is able to let go of the role NERV has assigned to her. When they talk about dolls in Asuka's flashback, they are labeling her and her family as a doll family, and in the future we see why - Asuka is completely under NERV's control.
She can't bring herself to leave NERV and would rather die than do so.

Shinji is more in the current and lacks the programming and lack of will Asuka has, and therefore can just say "fuck it, this sucks" and then fuck off. He comes back though, because in the end he realizes that they need him and he can't bear with the guilt of leaving.

>>121763752
Not him but she totally is. She's got zero concern for herself, which isn't really a good thing though.
>>
Asukafags will parrot whatever nonsense they want, but in reality they only pretend to like Asuka because she is the 'winning team'.
>>
>>121763793
>Asuka freaks out constantly

Not that anon, but define "freaks out." I think you are both operating under different definitions.
>>
>>121763364
>Shinji is stronger since he doesn't buckle under the pressure as quick as Asuka does.

I'm not sure you can really compare experiences in this way. The challenges Asuka faced and the way she deals with them are, in many cases, very different to how Shinji does.

>and Shinji still manages to reach out to a few people, bond, and then have them taken away.

This is arguable. Although he certainly makes friends with Toji and Kensuke he never really opens up to them on any sort of deeply personal level. The closest we get is the camp scene with Kensuke, and even there it's clear that Shinji is still quite closed off. This is very similar to Asuka's relationship with Hikari.

>Shinji also never loses enough of his psyche to become unable to even pilot his EVA. Despite it all, his heart is open enough and not closed off and he can still pilot.

This is simply a difference in how the two cope. Asuka has always been deeply individualistic, so it would make sense for her to close herself off in an attempt to cope. Shinji attempts to reach out more. They just deal with things differently.

>something Asuka never does.

The Final Scene of EoE, as well as the MP Eva fight.

Other than that, I don't really care about Shikinami. I recognize that she's a declawed version of her former self, all of her good traits without the psychological trauma.
>>
>>121763793
>Not him but she totally is. She's got zero concern for herself, which isn't really a good thing though.
built-in autism
>>
>>121763793
I'm not even sure it counts as concern. She's suicidal and she knows she will be brought back to life if she dies. Is that really strong or self sacrificing?
>>
>>121763640
>Rei is by far the most willing to throw herself directly into danger
For Shinji.
>>
>>121763530
>If you deliberately expose yourself to bricks that are thrown out of a window and you catch one in the face, then your injury is still caused by physical trauma rather than stupidity.
The physical trauma is something you more or less signed up for, and it would still be asuka's action or inaction that is the primary cause. But the analogy isn't complete.
Because rather than force being applied from the outside, all it's doing is unlocking the truth in the character's pasts and what they've repressed. It happens with Shinji, it happens with Rei, and with Asuka as well. Asuka screams "noo, stop showing my my past I want to forget".
So the problem here is that Asuka is completely unable to face reality, to at all improve on herself. She's deluding herself that she's #1 when all she is is third rate at best. Some (but not all) Asuka fans do the same thing. Denying that Asuka is fucked up and the reason she's fucked up and fails is internal is the same mistake Asuka makes. Which is why she represses that, it's why it hurts her when it's brought up and it's why it hurts Asukafags as well.

>The underlying reason why things work is Asuka's frail nature but the cause is still an outside attack.
This is highly contradictory.
Asuka's frail nature exists prior to the attack. This very frail nature is the primary problem which is the actual issue. The Angel attack is the test, it's revealing her flaws and fucked up nature. That weakness has to be confronted or revealed or else Asuka will never, ever become a non-fucked up person. Her reaction is only as bad as it is because she was never able to do it herself like the others.

>Who is "these people"?
Been doing it all thread.

>they're well aware of her flaws - in fact, that's what they like about her.
If that were the case, Shikinami would be rejected and not more popular than Sohryu, and you wouldn't spend so much energy on denying that Asuka's problems are her own. You're is reducing her to a mindless doll.
>>
>>121763932
>Reifag accepts defeat
>>
File: 1403812373198.jpg (2 MB, 1292x1939) Image search: [Google]
1403812373198.jpg
2 MB, 1292x1939
>>121764193
They don't have a choice.
>>
>>121756380
This is dead on
>>
>>121764193
I wouldn't have even responded to obvious bait.
>>
>>121764033
Something like that.

>>121764067
That is zero concern for herself. By definition it's self-sacrificing since she is sacrificing herself, but there is logic behind her sacrifice. Nevertheless she is ready to endure pain, loss and uncertainty for someone else. If Rei dies she will lose all her progress, which she had made in understanding herself through Armisael for instance. She'd come back less informed, and grown than she was. Maybe she would be brainwashed or worse. Who knows?

It's strong and self-sacrificing, and very bitter as the punch is that the only one who came to see her after she "came back" was Shinji. Gendo abandons her at this point.

>>121763954
Losing control of her EVA, attacking recklessly when she's defeated, running away to Hikari and throwing fits because she didn't get a higher percentage than Shinji.
Asuka has relatively an easy time compared to Shinji, and she's been trained for all this while Shinji is thrown straight under the bus once he gets there. Thank god for Misato.
>>
>>121764144
>The underlying reason why things work is Asuka's frail nature but the cause is still an outside attack.
>This is highly contradictory.

I think what that anon is trying to get at here is that had another character, like Shinji, or even Misato or Ritsuko, been under Arael mindrape beam, they would have broken too.
>>
File: 8h4hih76.jpg (427 KB, 878x1385) Image search: [Google]
8h4hih76.jpg
427 KB, 878x1385
>>121763640
It's the number one reifag!!!
or one of~
>>
>>121764193
Actually Rei is a good enough character that you can like her without being a Reifag, but the same cannot be said about Asuka.
>>
File: 15418364256.gif (65 KB, 400x271) Image search: [Google]
15418364256.gif
65 KB, 400x271
>>121764295
>Nevertheless she is ready to endure pain
>By definition it's self-sacrificing since she is sacrificing herself, but there is logic behind her sacrifice
>If Rei dies she will lose all her progress
>>
>>121764193
Reifags are losers after all.
>>
>>121764295
>throwing fits because she didn't get a higher percentage than Shinji.

This served to spawn the rest of the "freak outs" mentioned earlier, so I'm not sure that's exactly a fair comparison to make.
>>
>>121764372
I'm certain this is bait, but all of the characters in NGE are relatable, and all of them are written well.
>>
>>121757423
Like clockwork
>>
>>121764023
>I'm not sure you can really compare experiences in this way. The challenges Asuka faced and the way she deals with them are, in many cases, very different to how Shinji does.
They are different insofar they are less damaging and traumatic, physical or otherwise. You can compare them quite easily like this.

>Although he certainly makes friends with Toji and Kensuke he never really opens up to them on any sort of deeply personal level.
Is that really necessary though? It's not needed to form deep, personal connections with everyone you meet. Shinji made more friends than Asuka did, after all. That's the point, but clearly all of them have some ways to go.

>This is simply a difference in how the two cope.
Asuka copes by deluding herself into thinking there isn't anything to cope with. Coping by not coping is not coping.

>Asuka has always been deeply individualistic, so it would make sense for her to close herself off in an attempt to cope.
No. She bases her entire individuality on piloting the EVA. Asuka ranks fairly low on the personality/individuality scale because she's unable to consider anything else than what her controllers has set forth for her: Pilot the damned EVA.
Shinji's self-interest in even leaving them speaks more of individuality. Asuka doesn't deal with things, Shinji does. Asuka's way of dealing with things makes her weaker.

>The Final Scene of EoE, as well as the MP Eva fight.
None of them are accepting her own problems.

>I recognize that she's a declawed version of her former self, all of her good traits without the psychological trauma.
No no. She's not declawed, the original asuka was declawed. Shikinami is the inferior character but Shikinami has good traits the original Asuka was never even close to having.
>>
>>121764448
Are they really? All the character archetypes in Eva are piss-easy to write, and the execution of them is significantly worse than the same kind of character in a different series.
>>
>>121764389
It's fair because it's a petty reason that doesn't really mean anything. This means Asuka is unable to face any sort of adversity, she's unable to have a small failure without freaking out.
She's not able to learn.

That's what Shikinami does, and it's why they're different - Shikinami does what Asukan't. Rei and Shinji, even Misato learn from their mistakes, Asuka doesn't.
>>
>>121759070
>tfw have to weave through like 40 pages in pixiv to find pics of Shinji that aren't gayshit/shippershit or trapshit
>>
>>121764584
>This means Asuka is unable to face any sort of adversity, she's unable to have a small failure without freaking out.

I wouldn't say the she's unable, considering until after the events of epiosde 22, she still sorties. Evidence of the fact she is still attempting to face adversity, though external.
>>
>>121764355
Said anon is wrong because they already were. Leliel and slightly EVA01 for Shinji, Armisael for Rei, if you watch it again it does the same thing: The Angel invades their minds and reads it, bringing up their painful pasts and inner insecurities.

Shinji deals with it by getting upset and sad about himself, but ultimately it doesn't phase him as much because by that point, he already knew what was bothering him. He didn't have the knowledge, experience or strength to deal with it in anything but a reclusive way.

Rei deals with it by confronting the Angel and even denying it at some point, ultimately turning the entire thing into a learning experience. She was able to look inside her own heart and take something away from it, putting it shortly the Angel beat some sense into Rei. Then Rei blew it up along with herself.

Asuka on the other hand, what does she do? She rejects herself, she rejects her own memories and throws a temper tantrum because she doesn't want to remember or even think about it.

These are the differences in their characters. It's what makes Asuka a weak character, and the rest comparatively stronger. All fucked up, but some weaker than the others.
>>
>>121761982
She'll throw you off her and call you a pervert.
>>
>>121764539
We're not talking about Rebuilds here.
>>
>>121764811
>actually believes rebuild characters are any different to their NGE counterparts
There the Asukafags go saying whatever the hell they want knowing they're full of shit
>>
>>121764374
Why the reaction image? Didn't you see how Rei III doesn't seem to remember anything and has to be brought up to speed on what happened during the battle? She lost progress there, as well as faith in those around her.

>>121764699
I wouldn't say the she's unable, considering until after the events of epiosde 22, she still sorties. Evidence of the fact she is still attempting to face adversity, though external.

Here's the kicker, it's actually not.
Because her failure is that she's unable to break free at any level from basing her entire existence on piloting EVA. Without it, she will surely die.

If anything it's continuing the trend, she's not able to face her own problems and keeps denying them. When obviously it won't work any more, she starts crying.
>>
>>121764363
>implying he's an actual Reifag
Quafsiel isn't a real reifag.
>>
>>121764144
>it would still be asuka's action or inaction that is the primary cause.
No, you goddamn retard. The primary cause is that she's attacked by an alien mind rape beam shooting Händel music at her. Asuka is predisposed to being weak against mindrape due to her frail psyche, but that doesn't change the fact that if you pulled Asuka out of the setting and simply made her not get mindraped that she wouldn't end up in that tub.

>She's deluding herself that she's #1 when all she is is third rate at best.
I don't think you get Asuka's character at all. Asuka's innermost fear is inadequacy and being disliked for it as a result. That is why she tries to be the best, that is the reason for her aggressive behaviour. When she failed at the thing she believed she was appreciated for, she completely gives up and becomes a hikikomori and later attempts to commit suicide. Asuka is in a constant fear of being third rate.

>Been doing it all thread.
Again: show me the specific posts. Quote the lines. You've had enough time to do that.

>spend so much energy on denying that Asuka's problems are her own
Seriously, you must be the most retarded person on /a/ right now. How about you quote me on that one? I can guarantee you that whatever you interpret into my posts is not written in them but takes place mostly inside of your head either because you're completely delusional or because you're a complete moron who's unable to read analytically.
>>
>>121764858
Stop baiting.

don't make me walltext you
>>
>>121764584
>Rei and Shinji, even Misato learn from their mistakes, Asuka doesn't.
She is the most human.
>>
>>121764860
>If anything it's continuing the trend, she's not able to face her own problems and keeps denying them.

Hence why I said external. I also believe that there isn't much initiative for Asuka to stop basing her existence around Eva, because it had worked up until her descent arc. Until then, it had been a positive for her.
>>
>>121764925
Please do, but watch NGE again then the Rebuilds before you do it.
>>
>>121764953
No, she's a shitty human.
Learning from one's mistakes (and others) forms partly the basis of human progress.

The up and going people of the world has to compensate for people like Asuka.
>>
>>121764901
>uka is predisposed to being weak against mindrape due to her frail psyche, but that doesn't change the fact that if you pulled Asuka out of the setting and simply made her not get mindraped that she wouldn't end up in that tub.

She'd also continue to be just as frail as she was, and all you'd be doing would be keeping her as a stagnant, waifu doll you can fantasize about in an isolated enviroment where her true self never appears.
The Angel is merely a test for her, as it were for the others. Ritsuko doesn't call it an attack, she calls it communication. For good reason.
>>
>>121764996
>The up and going people of the world has to compensate for people like Asuka.

Coming from an /a/non, huh?

The most common thing to witness in the world is someone not learning from their mistakes. If you mean to say that most humans are shitty then, I could agree with that.
>>
>>121764976
>Hence why I said external. I also believe that there isn't much initiative for Asuka to stop basing her existence around Eva, because it had worked up until her descent arc. Until then, it had been a positive for her.

Come on. It didn't work, that's why it literally failed. It only worked as long as she wasn't bothered or actually dealing with reality.

As long as she was treated as a spoilt brat who was "special", and never faced any adversity or anything real, OF COURSE she was fine. As long as she was able to deny her own problems.

She's living in a bubble that was waiting to burst on first contact with reality.

It's not external, it's all internal. There's nobody putting a gun to her head, her problems are inside her.
>>
>>121764860
>Why the reaction image? Didn't you see how Rei III doesn't seem to remember anything and has to be brought up to speed on what happened during the battle? She lost progress there, as well as faith in those around her.
I would tell you to re-watch the show, but to be honest i doubt you will understand anything either way.
>>121764996
>The up and going people of the world
Are you part of the up and going people?
>>
>>121764858
>asukafags
u wot
Here's your reply, anyways.
>>
>>121764784
Not with me she won't, I'll overpower her and hug her with all of my strength until she gives in.
>>
>>121765032
>mind-invasion is communication

You can dry to dress up something however you want to, it was obviously an attack, whether the Angel intended it to be or not.
>>
Honestly I was surprised that Asuka was popular the first time I watched NGE. Asuka was portrayed on the internet to be a badass Tsun-Tsun shieldmaiden who was totally a better pilot and general person that that baka Shinji/ But watching the series I thought of her as an arrogant cunt, to seeing her for the lonely and scared little girl that she truly is. Not saying that she doesn't deserve sympathy or shes a bad character but I don't get whats really attractive about her other than her looks.
>>
>>121764996
>No, she's a shitty human.
Like most of mankind.

>Learning from one's mistakes (and others) forms partly the basis of human progress.
Theoretically. In practice, the opposite is practically the rule.
>>
>>121765032
>She'd also continue to be just as frail as she was, and all you'd be doing would be keeping her as a stagnant, waifu doll you can fantasize about in an isolated enviroment where her true self never appears.
Her true self is out in the open all the time. Her initial aggressiveness is as much of an aspect of her personality as her later brokenness. You can't separate one from the other.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 94

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.