[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Workstations?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: small_11.jpg (59 KB, 600x362) Image search: [Google]
small_11.jpg
59 KB, 600x362
Long story short, I'm going to be setting up a system separate to my main gaming PC for the sole purpose of doing art and 3D/dev work. Was just wondering if anyone here has done the same thing, has any build recommendations etc.
Really just looking for something that will let me do 3D work and photoshop painting at fairly high resolutions comfortably, without any performance hitches, for as long as possible. I'm still not sure whether to opt for a workstation card or just a regular, mid-range gaming graphics card to get the job done.
>>
get a midrange GPU with high end CPU and 16 gb RAM
>>
>>525712

Any modern cpu will do. The GTX 1070 has a great performance price ratio, going to get one myself. 32gb ram. SSD's are great if you can get a high capacity one. Under 1tb is not worth it because you get low memory errors.
>>
Anything modern is fine as said already.
I'd suggest spending most of your money/research on the display. High res and rich color. I can't suggest anything as I'm still looking for one myself.
>>
>>525721
high res is not a good idea because it will make rendering scenes slower
>>
>>525725
That has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read here.
>>
>>525742
If he means realtime rendering (game engine or viewport rendering) it would make sense.
>>
>>525712
Budget?
I do a lot of 3d work, mostly CPU rendering, and I actually work on an older machine. i7-980, 24gb ram, 750ti and it performs just fine. I recently got a used HP z620 with 2x E5-2670's and 64gb ram off ebay for about $1k that I mostly use for rendering. I'm gonna put a 1080 in it for GPU AO passes.
>>
>>525721
Dell Ultrasharps for display. If you don't care about 4k yet, their 24" displays are a phenomenal deal for the 2160x1200 rez ones.
>>
>>525712

I built my system with four ideas:

a) I can't afford to buy another system for at least five years (going back to college)
b) Be capable of doing renders from Blender in decent time
c) Be suitable for programming and sysadmin work (virtualization, good OpenMP support, etc.)
d) Use the same motherboard/processor as my main server, which I was replacing at the same time.

This was two years ago. Planning it out beforehand was well worth it, and I have no regrets.

So figure out what you want to do with your machine, how long you plan to keep it, and if you are going to budget for upgrades before complete replacement. Also determine what the software you plan to use needs. Since I use Blender, I needed good CUDA performance, so I went Nvidia.
>>
>>525742
>>525750
I think he meant the resolution of the image you would be rendering. Maybe he got screen res and image res mixed up.
>>
>>525742
>>525750

I mean viewport rendering. If you're working in Maya of whatever that means the computer will have to draw across more pixels. For image rendering it doesn't matter
>>
>>i5 6500 overclocked to the max or to 4.2mhz
>>gtx 970 completely enough (or 1080)
>>some low ass motherboard for i5
>>16 gb or 8 is actually enough
>>you should really kill yourselfes
>>
>>526234
>learning how to greentext
>being a jelly poorfag
>>
>>525712
Dual cpu?
>>
>>526234
Did you literally find this site today?
>>
>>525777
Or... Oooor 1440p
>>
>>525787
He could just make the viewport smaller. But i dont think its gonna be a major issue if he has a good cpu and gpu.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.