[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rate my sweet eye I've just made. Isn't it cool? It
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: eye_arnold_final.jpg (125 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
eye_arnold_final.jpg
125 KB, 960x540
Rate my sweet eye I've just made. Isn't it cool? It was so damn easy.
>>
Its not in VR 3d so why would we care?
>>
its shit
>>
>>521445

It's too reflective and blurry.
>>
Cornea is supposed to bulge slightly over the iris/pupil area. Iris is actually a flat group of small muscles and not curved like the rest of the eye. Pupil is the hole in the sphincter of the irish.

This is a terrible eye.
>>
>>521530

>Pupil is the hole in the sphincter of the Irish.

They're always after me lucky charms.
>>
File: Sc7suWq.jpg (161 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Sc7suWq.jpg
161 KB, 1000x1000
>>521447
/thread
>>
>>521758
looks like wet concrete
>>
File: 04.jpg?1271925297.jpg (93 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
04.jpg?1271925297.jpg
93 KB, 400x400
Allright model for non-main-characters or if only rendered from a distance, but if you want really expressive eyes that can be used for closeups, you'll have to model the cornea a bit more accurately than that.

It's quite important for expressiveness and the "jewel effect" that the cornea is concave, and that the translucent material on top of it has a high IOR.

Also, it needs to be rigged...
>>
>>521762

Pain in the balls to set something up like that and the clipping can be horrendous.
>>
>>521764
>clipping can be horrendous.

Why it is a good idea to use a normal map to create the illusion of a parabolic protrusion on top of a perfect sphere so the cornea don't clip the eyelid as the character looks around.
>>
File: blender-eye.png (2 MB, 3840x1080) Image search: [Google]
blender-eye.png
2 MB, 3840x1080
Yes, if you don't want to go through the effort and just give your characters passable eyes, you can get pre-made assets in many places. For blender, for instance, I tend to use the eyes from one of the blender open movies, like cosmos laundromat. Can always tweak from there.
>>
>>521762
using two pieces of geometry is pretty outdated by now, you should just use parallax offsetting if your software has the option

using additional geometry for occlusion is probably a good idea though since it can be hard to make it look right otherwise
>>
>>521781
Don't know what you mean by parallax offsetting exactly, do you mean parallax mapping? If so, that's only really relevant to realtime rendering, for offline renders you can afford the extra geometry.

Anyway, I usually create one sphere and then a smaller sphere withhin it. Create an indent on the inner sphere (iris), an outdent on the outer sphere (cornea.) Give the inner sphere a glossy material with eye texture, the outer sphere a glassy material -- done. It's not a lot of effort and tends to look pretty good IMO. If I want really close-ups, I might actually make the inner sphere hollow and make the pupil a hole + add a subtle light that is rigged to the eye rotation that shines into the eyes that can be turned up/down to highlight the jewel effect.
>>
>>521782
sounds like you have some shitty Open Season tier eyes going on
>>
>>521783
>Open Season
Never watched it
>>
>>521784
There were 3 movies, and now a fourth.
>>
File: preview3.jpg (164 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
preview3.jpg
164 KB, 1280x720
Here's a cross section version I once made for a medical animation
>>
Also consider the fact that the reflection of the eye has cubic distortion. There was a paper from activision talking about it, just cant find it atm.
>>
>>521905
> There was a paper from activision talking about it, just cant find it atm.
activision can't make anything look real without doing extremely heavy mocap for the body and the face and then running simulation on the muscles. At that point, why even bother.
>>
>>521905
Not entirely sure if we're talking about the same thing, but if you're raytracing/pathtracing, that just happens automatically.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.