[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
modelling a chair
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_20160221_184015.jpg (1 MB, 2322x2978) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160221_184015.jpg
1 MB, 2322x2978
How do I start modelling a chair like this?
>>
I would just model with subdiv and solidify modifier with a mirror modifier so you only have to model one side..
>>
>>513718
Start with a plane for the seat and extrude out the edges into the general shape you want, also this >>513720
This really isn't that hard to make.
>>
Sit in it and take a nice selfie, voila chair modelling... Waste your 3D time on something more entertaining, you will thank yourself.
>>
File: chairs.jpg (476 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
chairs.jpg
476 KB, 2560x1440
heres what i did for mine, needs work but maybe youll get an idea off of this
>>
Start with getting the fuck out of 4chan
>>
>>513888
It looks like shit, senpai. Graphics look like PS2.
>>
>>515604
thread is about modeling, not rendering, senpai
>>
>>515605
The model looks bad too.
>>
File: chair .png (163 KB, 1315x981) Image search: [Google]
chair .png
163 KB, 1315x981
I got a little carried away but I would try to use as many boolean operations as possible, while keeping the base shape as simple as possible. This makes things a lot quicker to work with and easy to modify.

Also dont listen to this thing >>515648
>>
File: chair .png (147 KB, 1315x981) Image search: [Google]
chair .png
147 KB, 1315x981
>>515649
bah, I guess this makes more sense
>>
>>515650
holy shit just box model it with the holes, then smooth it and use soft select or lattice modifiers to add the curves.
>>
>>515653
That creates imperfect curves.
>>
>>515655
You're dumb.
>>
>>515658
And you're an unskilled monkey. Trying to create the same faces that you'd get without using booleans leads you down a hole of way too much geometry to work with. Using booleans for hard surfaces will let you finish this thing much quicker.
>>
>>515655
>>515659
Not if you subdivide the mesh before using a lattice to deform it. Yeah, if you rely just on the limited basemesh geometry and smooth preview, it's going to create some shitty looking geometry when you lattice deform it.
>>
>>515659
> implying cleaning up 6 shitty ass booleans on an already smoothed mesh isn't too much to work with.
>>
I'm old school - would just model half in low poly-mirror it, smooth and tweak it after with lattice deformers either way...30min to do?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.