[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does anyone afford any of these programs? I barely even make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: 1453490082644.gif (493 KB, 300x172) Image search: [Google]
1453490082644.gif
493 KB, 300x172
How does anyone afford any of these programs? I barely even make a thousand dollars in a month. How am I expected to be able to pay so much money at a constant rate if I use any of the autodesk products... This is a serious question, not just me crying even though I probably will be knowing that I'll probably never be able to afford any of this shit except for blender.

Pic related. It's my fucking face after looking up all these prices.
>>
Guess why Blender became so popular
>>
>>513337
you pirate it until you can buy it
>>
>>513338
but is blender worth learning? can you apply what you learn in blender with what's in other software? Are the interfaces with Blender and other programs even close to similar?
>>
>>513342
Think of them like different bicycles
>>
File: fucked up bike.jpg (228 KB, 1452x909) Image search: [Google]
fucked up bike.jpg
228 KB, 1452x909
>>513343
Blender?
>>
File: sweet bike.jpg (84 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
sweet bike.jpg
84 KB, 500x375
>>513343
Or Blender?
>>
The problem with 3d software beeing unaffordable for starving artists was there right from the beginning. I remember in the nineties most artists had the same problems financing their 3d software tools. It was even worse than today. Maya was like $10 000. And huge sums had to be spent on computers as well (Unix, Sun etc.) which had less computing power than an average cell phone today.

I think blender became relevant around 2006 or so. Before that poor folk bought cheaper software like Lightwave which costed around $ 900 and it was very popular in the community at that time.

And yeah, Blender is fucking powerfull now.
>>
>>513347
I did see that Lightwave was MUCH cheaper. What's the consensus on it? Does it match what most of the other software is capable of? Pros and Cons?
Also, thanks for the information and input.
>>
Autodesk offers all their software for free under an educational license.
Just don't turn it into your business and you'll be fine.
If you do turn it into your business, and you're not a fucking shit, you're probably going to make enough to charge the client the cost of the license.
>>
>>513351
Lightwave kind of have fallen into a deep sinkhole of irrelevance since the rise of blender. Why should one be spending $1000 for it when blender pretty much gives you all the capability for free. Blender even has additional feateres that lightwave is missing, sculpting, texture painting and video editing plus videoFX, retopology, easy workflow for corrective morphs creation, non destructive modifiers, just a few examples.

Most Lightwave users have migrated to Modo. But since modo is now almost $2K it is no option for poor folks any more as well. Also Modo is pretty much a bug-fested crush happy instable chaotic messed up bitch that has half of its marketing-hyped features broken. (Lightwave genes maybe?)
>>
>>513345
blender is fucking good piece of software and everyone should try it. once you get used to ui and hotkeys its the fucking beast
>>
>>513337
You learn the industry standards by using the student versions, pirate it and use as indie until you can actually afford the license. If you can afford it buy it, otherwise, use Blender.

Otherwise, if you're not making major money from the software, don't worry and pirate.
>>
>>513358
Ye no dont say that about modo its the best piece of software ive ever used
>>
>>513358
>Bug-fested, chaotic, crash happy
Fucking wew lad
>>
>>513369
What if I use pirated stuff to make something, then sell it, start making some money, and only after that buy a legal copy/license?

Will they look past that or can I expect a long legal stick up my pooper?
>>
You can rent autodesk products cheaply now. Modo indie on steam is also fully featured apart from plugins. Tbh though modeling packages are going to get less relevant the more features zbrush incorporates.
>>
>>513375
If you are clever about it, nobody will know it in the first place. But its better to not sell stuff but rather sell your service by providing a proper portfolio. If you are good enough and get the job done, nobody will really care about how you got that knowledge.
>>
>>513337
There is always the option to pirate it for private use, just like autodesk gives free versions to students for non-commercial use. Just buy shit once you actually start using it for commercial stuff.
>>
>>513375
look, if you run a registered company that have employees the government will check your license. people go to jail for this stuff so be careful
>>
>>513343

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH0yyYHir10
>>
>>513375
Autodesk is notorious for being ruthless to small companies that do this shit so I really would suggest you don't fucking do it.

Does depend on the country you operate from though. I used to work in Vietnam and literally every design company used pirsted copies of evry kind of software. In the Western world autodesk will fuck you over though.
>>
>>514412
Yeah, I'm in Russia and literally everyone uses cracked Max, no fucks given.
There's no way to tell if something like a model was made on a cracked copy of software, so it's fine to continue using it from your own computer from home until you find yourself in an environment where people might actually turn their attention to this.
Most studios use either Max or Maya, so even if there are free alternatives like Blender, it's still worth getting one of these and learning how they work.
>>
>>513342
Hey, anon. I'm in computing class where we're making animations with Maya 2016. Before I used Maya, I was using Blender. They are very similar pieces of software.
It was a bit like imagining somebody took the internals of Blender and just mixed up the interface. Even then, most of the stuff you look for is in the obvious places. I've got the student version of Maya at home, but I'm still using Blender because I prefer it.
>>
>>514588
>prefaces opinion with "i'm in computing class"
>thinks that will help validate his opinion
>>
>>513344
>>513345

More like one of those bicycle kits you put together yourself and then you learn how to professionally assemble / machine your own bike and where to go to find the free hidden bike parts, and then you build a fucking awesome bike that you wish you'd started with and kind of think it should be out of the box but since you've already finally completed your master bike, you don't really care if new blender users struggle or not
>>
>>514589
Anon, you don't validate opinions, you validate facts.
Now please, never post here ever again.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.