[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MAYA Transparency on sss shader
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: dog.png (213 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
dog.png
213 KB, 960x540
Hi /3/
im experimenting with sss shader in maya, pic related. is there anyway to give it some transparency? there is no option for it in the material
>>
>>498006
It would help if you said what you were using in Maya. Is this viewport 2.0? Mentalray? Vray?
>>
>>498007
Sry my bad! using mental ray
>>
>>498007
sss shader only works in mental ray i think
>>
>>498009
VP2.0 can do opengl or DX11 shaders, so you can utilize a real-time SSS shader.

>>498008
Which material are you using?
>>
>>498024
dx11 means not much to me man

its the misss fast simple maya shader
>>
>>498006
>>498008
> Mental ray
Lel, get you hands on either: Vray, Arnold, or Renderman
>>
>>498103
Spoken like someone who has never used Mentalray. Mentalray is used by many production studios and is the most matured, biased ray-tracer in the industry and has a graphics powerhouse like Nvidia behind it. It can do everything VRay does and so much more. Some people feel overwhelmed by all the different shaders and settings it has available to you, but those are crucial for fine control by studios.

>>498026
The MISSS and MIA materials are the older generation ones, use the MILA material which is a full general purpose material with some new optimizations in place. But if you want to use that misss shader, simply created a mia_material_x, and plug the misss shader into the "Additional Color" input of the mia_material_x. This way you utilize materila_x for more advanced reflection, transparency and diffuse effects, while using that SSS shader for more refined SSS control.

misss_fast_skin has even more fine control with its epidermal, subdermal and back scatter controls, if you're going for realistic skin.

Here's a tut on using the MILA shader for SSS materials. The dudes model is kinda bad, but the tech knowledge is fine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU-iL1HnEm0
http://methodj.com/new-mila-material-in-maya-2015/

And some in depth knowledge about the shader if you're interested in that sutff:
https://elementalray.wordpress.com/2014/04/18/the-layering-library-mila-part-1/
>>
>>498103
I plan to soon. But i want to know mental ray :)

>>498114
omg thank you so much for the clear and well explained answer. i think i might actually get somwhere now :)
>>
File: 1438515316473.jpg (93 KB, 806x813) Image search: [Google]
1438515316473.jpg
93 KB, 806x813
>>498114
>Mentalray is used by many production studios and is the most matured, biased ray-tracer in the industry and has a graphics powerhouse like Nvidia behind it. It can do everything VRay does and so much more
>>
>>498138
Care to give an actual reply that gives some counter points as to why you think that's wrong? Or just going to spread the dank maymays?

Mentalray development was started back in 1986. It is the oldest production renderer in existence and most feature rich. It's especially powerful when it comes to rendering footage that needs to be composited into live-action. That is where it's used most in the industry, by VFX houses, not for CG films so much.
>>
>>498006
Well there's nothing behind it so there's nothing to indicate transparency.

Don't get too carried away with trying to make you SSS "noticeable". It is intended to be a subtle affect.
>>
>>498103
You don't know shit if you diss mentalray
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.