[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would you recommend to someone who has never watched anime
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
File: anime.png (134 KB, 2000x1778) Image search: [Google]
anime.png
134 KB, 2000x1778
What would you recommend to someone who has never watched anime before?
>>
Cowboy Bebop
>>
>>16804
Boku no Pico
>>
Gintama
>>
>>16804
Cory in the house

>Also this >>16806 and/or "Samurai Champloo"
>>
>>16804
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Soul Eater
Fate Zero
Any battle shounen: dbz, fairy tail, etc.
Death note
All in dub of course because if they're new they'll use the "I don't want to read a tv show" excuse.
>>
>>16810
It's like I'm really on /a/!
>>
I feel like if someone really wants to watch anime they'll figure it out themselves. If you're recommending stuff to a friend, make it stuff that you like so that they have common ground.
>>
Elfen Lied
>>
S T E I N S G A T E
T
E
I
N
S

G
A
T
E
>>
>>16859
T H I S
H
I
S
>>
>>12345
>>
File: smug.jpg (39 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
39 KB, 500x500
>>16830
>I feel like if someone really wants to watch anime they'll figure it out themselves.
>>
>>16804
depends on the person
like coyboy bebob is a pretty safe bet but if the person you shoving it to hates westerns jazz space etc it would be a bad idea to show them that first
>>
Azumanga Daioh, the dub is pretty good твн
>>
>>16815
Are you retarded? OP, don't watch this first. It relies heavily on japanese language humor and anime tropes.
>>
>>16830
Haha what?
>>
>>16804
Not to watch anime.

But if it can't be helped, Satoshi Kon's movies.
>>
If they enjoy western live action shows like Breaking Bad, Dexter or Sopranos then they might enjoy Naoki Urawasa' Monster.
>>
>>16804
Definitely depends on taste, like others have said.

If you like good literature --> Neon Genesis Evangelion (this was my first anime)

If you like Firefly --> Cowboy Bebop

If you like sci-fi --> Steins;Gate

If you like coming-of-age stories --> FLCL or Ping Pong

If you like clashing ideologies --> Fate/Zero

None of the above --> Hunter x Hunter

What are your favorite TV shows and movies? That'll help a lot.

inb4 I'm a pretentious asshole
>>
>>17071
>None of the above --> Hunter x Hunter

More like all of the above.
>>
>>17071
>inb4 I'm a pretentious asshole
Nah. You just have the shittiest of tastes.

Only Bebop, S;G and Ping Pong are remotely good, and seriously, recommending S;G and Ping Pong to people who have never watched anime? Jesus christ.
>>
>>17081
You've never actually seen Hunter x Hunter and just judged it based on appearances, huh? That's the biggest mistake someone can make in their life.
>>
>>17081
>shittiest of tastes
Haha and I bet you enjoyed SAO

>Only Bebop, S;G, and Ping Pong are remotely good
Now I'm curious: what shows are you favorites, if Ping Pong is only REMOTELY GOOD?

>recommending S;G and Ping Pong to people who have never watched anime?
S;G was my second anime, after Eva. I enjoyed it a lot. I can understand that Ping Pong might be a little hard to get into, but I don't think a new anime viewer would be very put off. It doesn't do shitty tropes, and it's a very good story.
>>
>>17081
>>17101
Please stop recommending the Steins;Gate anime. There's a fully translated visual novel that is so much better.
>>
>>17079
>>17098
Eh I mean Hunter x Hunter was a good show, but it's not really a top-tier show, IMO. I recommended it because it's a show anyone can enjoy.
>>
>>17103
>There's a fully translated visual novel

That takes tens of hours of playtime to get through. I LOVE S;G, but even I couldn't get through the VN. It's way too fucking slow for a first-time viewer.
>>
>>17105
You're one of the only people I've seen that would give it such low praise. There are very few shows out there with such a tightly written, cleverly executed plot.
>>
>>17098
I dropped it after like 15 episodes. Which was more than what I did for Gintama, which is as retardedly overhyped ad HxH.

The worst part is how the HxH author dropped Level E, which was a fantastic show, to make HxH.

Get a bigger fucking powerlevel.

>>17101
Ping Pong is actually a great one. Bebop and S;G are the ones that are good, but only barely.

My 3x3 has Kemonozume, 08th MS Team, Patlabor, BPS, Hyakko... and I don't remember the rest. Oh, Slam Dunk and Ichigo Mashimaro... and two others I can't be bothered to go check.

>S;G was my second anime, after Eva
I can see that.

You have shit taste because you have watched like under 50 shows and believe you know more than you do.

By the way, this was my recommendation, after over 30 years of watching anime and at least 10 of watching 10-35 shows every season: >>17059
>>
>>17116
>The worst part is how the HxH author dropped Level E, which was a fantastic show, to make HxH.
Which was a fantastic manga, I mean. Sorry.
>>
>>17114
I'm not arguing that it's a bad show by any means. Just that the others I recommended are better. Hunter x Hunter is the best shonen, but that's a pretty damn easy bar to clear.

>You're one of the only people I've seen that would give it such low praise.
I'm one of the only people who wouldn't put Hunter x Hunter as top-tier? You are deluded.
>>
>>17116
>Ping Pong is actually a great one. Bebop and S;G are the ones that are good, but only barely.
I think S;G and Bebop are better than barely good, but I can respect your opinion.

>after over 30 years of watching anime
just cause you've watched more anime doesn't mean you'll be a better judge of them

>you have watched like under 50 shows
true. doesn't mean I can't judge the shows I've watched

>By the way, this was my recommendation >>17059
I can respect that recommendation. Kon movies are solid.
>>
>>17136
>just cause you've watched more anime doesn't mean you'll be a better judge of them
Sit a couple of minutes on that one.

>>you have watched like under 50 shows
>true. doesn't mean I can't judge the shows I've watched
Go back to my first reply: >>17081
>>inb4 I'm a pretentious asshole
>Nah. You just have the shittiest of tastes.

Of course you can still judge what you've watched. It doesn't change the fact that you have the shittiest of tastes. And not due to Bebop, S;G and Ping Pong. Though, alright, I'll give you FLCL too, though recommending it to a beginner is retarded as shit too.

But F/Z, HxH and Eva? Jesus. Watch more chinese cartoons, shitpost less.
>>
>>17142
Alright, man, I see we're probably not gonna come to an agreement here. I won't try to continue this argument any further. I just wanna say I have nothing against you personally, and I hope you have a great day.
>>
>>17150
Same here. Happy new year.
>>
Everywhere I go, FMA:B seems to be the go-to 'best Anime for beginners'. Why is that?
>>
>>17150
Nope, your a faget like Bob Saget.
>>
>>17243
It's an easily accessible show that covers a lot of genres without being generic or boring. It has a complex story but not too confusing, a wide variety of characters that explore morality, religion, philosophy and science without being preachy. It's long enough to explore finer details but not so long that you don't feel like you couldn't finish it. It's one of my, and many others, all time favorites.
>>
>>17243
Because it's good, but not that good.

It has social commentary, but doesn't really say anything about other animu, so you'll still get it if you haven't seen any*.

Essentially, it does a lot of the things that people might not like about anime (still-frames, chopping between animation styles, having far too many episodes), but in an approachable manner. It's non-threatening.

If you do like FMA, then you'll like other animu as well.

* compare EVA, which has a whole heck of a lot to say about Real Robots.
>>
>>17258
>>17261
Should the original series be watched before Brotherhood for maximum enjoyment?
>>
>>17270
Only up to the bonding moment with the father and the daughter.

FMA goes off the reservation and does its own thing after that. From that point, you should watch Brotherhood from the start. It'll recap what you just saw, but it's a short recap intended for people who've already seen FMA.
>>
>>16859
very good gateway anime for a 4chan nerd. Not so much for a normie, since they won't get a lot of the jokes or @chan references.
>>
>>17369
I worried about that, but I think the characters are modern enough and the English reversioning tight enough that if you don't get the Titor stuff, it doesn't take away from the story. Just my opinion tho.
>>
File: recommendation.jpg (869 KB, 2000x1850) Image search: [Google]
recommendation.jpg
869 KB, 2000x1850
>>16804
A good list I found about five years ago.
>>
Nichijou
Psycho-pass (starts off slow)
Noragami
Ghost in the Shell (the movies)
Mushishi
NouCome
OreShura

Try to learn how japanese schools work and their traditons, quick.
>>
>>16804
Angel's Egg, Kujira, Frank Kafka's Country Doctor, Cat Soup or the Diary of Tortov Riddle.

Also, just watch this now, it's like three minutes long:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJBt2V5-Q-E
>>
>>16810
this board was not made for this shit, go back to /a/

>>16804
Shigatsu wa kimi no uso
>>
>>18319
>kimi no uso

He said anime, not K-drama anon.
>>
>>16804
I would recommend you take a look at this thread: >>11394
Even if this is a board for requests you should at least try to find out on your own before pushing another thread out of existence.
>>
>>16804
Cowboy Bebop
And then never watch any other animes, they are all trash
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.