[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/CRT/ Thread - Needs More Genies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 125
File: DSC02498ARW3.jpg (3 MB, 5093x3395) Image search: [Google]
DSC02498ARW3.jpg
3 MB, 5093x3395
Previous Thread - >>3090572

This thread is for the spirited discussion of CRT displays - Televisions, monitors and projectors used for the playing of retro games!

>Try to keep it /vr/-related: Nothing past 5th gen(+Dreamcast). Slight OT might be okay if related to CRTs (E.G. 16:9 compatible models, flatscreens, etc.) Systems with backwards compatibility are also pretty safe territory, assuming you're focusing on the older games. PC CRTs are also a-ok.
>Produce OC! Get out your real cameras and take beautiful pictures of your CRTs displaying recognizable characters with the kind of beautiful accuracy that brings tears to the eyes of young and old alike! If you take 100 photos, at least one of them will turn out alright! (maybe)
>Try to be as detailed as possible when asking info on a specific model. As always, google is your friend, and we are your friends with benefits. Older archived threads aren't a bad place to look either.
>Share appreciation for others choice of technology and personal philosophy of gaming. As always show courtesy in your discussion and moderate yourselves first.

Discussion of video processing and scaling devices is okay, but try to keep the focus on CRTs and CRT accessories

CRT Pastebin (WIP): http://pastebin.com/1Ri5TS3x
S-Video Pasta: http://pastebin.com/rH2h6C7W
Thread Survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1PhdXJYwA8xModrTV1Yt-i1tvNgwiagpeBx0m_xNIVtc/viewform?edit_requested=true&fbzx=9009823977812318933
>>
>>3116509
>>3116482
Still being a bit strange, but I believe I've gotten down the proper settings:

GBA:
Screen Resolution: 640x480
Aspect Ratio Index: Custom
Custom View Port X: 82
Custom View Port Y: 40
Custom View Port Width: 480
Custom View Port Height: 160
Integer Scale: Off
Set VI Screen Width: 704

GB/GBC:
Screen Resolution: 640x480
Aspect Ratio Index: Custom
Custom View Port X: 160
Custom View Port Y: 48
Custom View Port Width: 320
Custom View Port Height: 144
Integer Scale: Off
Set VI Screen Width: 704

The above settings give an image of almost the exact same dimensions as the output of the GBPlayer using GBI Low Latency. You need to reconfirm the screen resolution AFTER modifying VI screen width, otherwise the image the image will be too thin. I'd also suggest:

Leaving HW Bilinear Filtering ON while you're changing these settings, otherwise things will be extremely difficult to read. Disable it once you're ready to play(and make sure you've selected the core you plan to use before hand). Alternatively, leave Aspect Ratio Index at 4:3 until you've got everything else set.
Turn Integer Scaling ON to get the values up to 320 and 240 respectfully before tweaking things, otherwise you'll be counting up quite a ways.

All of the above was done using the Gambatte and mGBA libretro cores via Retroarch 1.3.3 from buildbot.libretro.com
>>
Daily reminder that Shantae is extremely overrated.
>>
File: DSC_0694.jpg (742 KB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0694.jpg
742 KB, 3008x2000
>>3116857
Cool. I'll experiment with it myself when I have finished this Mega Amp mod I'm working on for a genesis I'm selling on ebay.

Looks pretty good so far (just S-video modded). Much less likely to offend anyone like my personal system would (RCA jacks drilled in the back).

I know this is a bad place to ask, but what does /vr/ think? Would people pay more for it if I put some RCA jacks on the back for stereo audio and composite video so you didn't need a special cable?
>>
File: DSC_0670.jpg (762 KB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0670.jpg
762 KB, 3008x2000
>>3117141
and inside. I don't have a proper s-video cable yet, that's still shipping. Also the main reason that I have RCA jacks on my personal system is that I do not own a Genesis A/V DIN cable. That's why there's a test lead sticking out the back - audio.
>>
File: DSC_0518-4mb.jpg (4 MB, 3037x2013) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0518-4mb.jpg
4 MB, 3037x2013
>>3117153
and CRT pic.
>>
>>3117168
That's S-Vid? Looks damn good. I was always under the impression that S-Video wasn't a huge step-up from composite...
>>
So I just picked up two monitors but they have some pretty bad purity problems in the corner and edges.

I know the guy who sold them to me told me he had them shipped to him from a long distance. I don't know how long or what condition this guy kept them in.

I've had them for over a week and tried to degausse daily 2 times a day but have had no luck. I know sometimes there are bigger problems going on within the casing but would it be wise to look into a degaussing coil or wand? I don't want to spend $50-100 only to find that it can't be fixed with a coil
>>
File: P_20160323_093213_001.jpg (4 MB, 4096x3072) Image search: [Google]
P_20160323_093213_001.jpg
4 MB, 4096x3072
>>3117171
svideo is a huge improvement.
I'm in rgb land and I was surprised how close it is to rgb when I tried it.
>>
File: DSC_0711.jpg (2 MB, 3038x2017) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0711.jpg
2 MB, 3038x2017
>>3117171
On a lot of systems it isn't, but S-video at 240p resolutions IS technically good enough to replace RGB if the encoder is any good. The chroma sampling rate is high enough.

RGB looks slightly better here (a bit brighter and the s-video still suffers from slight rainbow banding). But it's a huge step up from composite - you can actually see individual pixels.
>>
>>3117175
Maybe a wand would work, but I'd be fucking with the position of the deflection yoke myself. Are the two corners with purity issues opposite diagonally of each other, e.g. the top right and bottom left corners? if so you need to move the yoke forward or backward.
>>
Looking on craigslist for the best display for emulation on PC.

What is the largest size (screen diagonal) of consumer CRT that is flat screen and has the blue D-sub VGA connector?
>>
File: DSC_0714.jpg (4 MB, 3038x2017) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0714.jpg
4 MB, 3038x2017
>>3117168
>>3117192
Also keep in mind that these were taken with me using dissected cat5e cable instead of a S-video cable with shielding.
>>
>>3117209
>flat screen
why, WHY???

The best CRT's are not flat screened. You will have a lot more geometry issues on a flat tube.

I can't help you there because I've yet to find a flat screened PC CRT that actually looked good enough for me sitting two or three feet away.
>>
>>3117214
flat pc monitors are usually ok, because they're deeper than tv relative to their size.
>>
>>3117217
I've still not found one with really good geometry, though depth definitely helps some.

My largest monitor that I can use with my PC is my 20L5, but I need to use a bit of 7400-series IC logic to combine hsync and vsync into composite sync.
>>
File: 20160305_193310~01.jpg (2 MB, 4109x2080) Image search: [Google]
20160305_193310~01.jpg
2 MB, 4109x2080
>>
>nearly everyone in these threads wants a CRT for authenticity
>they also want a CRT larger than anyone would have actually owned in 1992 outside of RPTVs
>they want direct-view
>they want basically a modern 52" HDTV but older
I wonder why no one can find a TV or monitor that just looks good and be happy with it. Stop trying to go for the huge-ass monitors and just enjoy what you can actually get.

If you want authenticity, go for what you had in 1990-1996. If you were born after 1996, and don't remember, then you are underage and need to leave and go back to your precious LCD with a scaler because that's what you're asking us for.
>>
>>3117223
That a 20 inch panasonic/JVC 15khz monitor? Or a PC monitor with fake 240p?
>>
>>3117230
getting bigass/pro quality tvs/monitors for pennies is a thing.
not wanting tech advances because MUH NOSTALGIA is a pretty dumb state of mind
>>
File: genesisav.jpg (2 MB, 3312x1875) Image search: [Google]
genesisav.jpg
2 MB, 3312x1875
>>3117153
have some pride in your mod work, RITbro.
>>
>>3117214
Ok I will accept curved CRTs for my emulation computer but they of course need to be 31Khz.

What is the largest screen size that was available for home PC users to buy?
>>
File: tg16svideoav.jpg (4 MB, 4616x2396) Image search: [Google]
tg16svideoav.jpg
4 MB, 4616x2396
>>3117241
>>
>>3117242
outside of monsters I might not be aware of, I think largest pc crts commonly available were 21".
>>
>>3117232
The latter.
>>
I have a Sanyo DS27930 flat screen CRT as a hand-me-down from a parent. I love it because it has two S-video inputs and a component video input, coupled with my AV switcher is perfect for all my retro systems. Now, the more I use it, the more I see some flaws. The bottom left corner has some blurriness to it, and the right edge of the screen sort of has a "squashed" look to it. If I'm playing a side-scrolling game the right side of the screen kind of "warps" in as if it's an accordion expanding or something. I think there are other vertical sections of the screen in various places that seem kind of warped, but not extremely noticeable. The left side behaves similar to the right but not nearly to the same degree.

Are these issues common or do I have a TV that's faulty/dying? I might be able to get a free Sony trinitron flat screen from someone else, but I don't know if I should expect similar problems, also it doesn't have as many inputs on it
>>
>>3117245
>>3117241
Heh, that's cool.

My personal genesis has RCA jacks drilled into it for RGB, a 74LS08 IC for buffering the Genesis's poor-quality CSync signal, and two more RCA jacks for csync and mono audio. Do you think I should put composite + audio on the back of the one I'm selling?

I got this genesis bundled with my Sega CD, so I'm trying to make back all the money I can and hopefully some profit. But I want to be nice about it, too, so I'll be starting the auction relatively low when I actually list it and hope that someone likes what I've done to it. I really want to know if people would still buy it with RCA jacks drilled in the back, since some here see that as 'ruining' the console. I don't see it that way myself, but it seems to be a popular opinion.

I'm not at RIT right now though - found a cool job in a company that designs electronics back in Indiana, so I'm there now. Planning to head back to RIT sometime, though.

>>3117242
I don't know what the absolute largest is, but I know that if you want an all-around great PC CRT, the GDM-FW900 is often considered one of the best ever. It's 16:10, but I bet you could use the OSD and a ruler (for ratio measuring) to put it into 4:3.
>>
>>3117258
Ah, okay. Thought those were pretty damn thin scan lines for a 15khz monitor.
>>
>>3117262
This sounds typical of flat screen geometry problems. Also, the blurriness might be fixable my rotating the convergence rings inside the set.
>>
>>3117241
I do have some pride. I love my Famicom.
>>
Are HD CRTs good for anything? A thrift store near me has a 720p Samsung set I was thinking about buying, but I don't know what I'd use it for.
>>
>>3117276
Watching HD movies and playing RPGs where timing isn't important (most non-Paper Mario RPGs).
>>
>>3117276
ps3/360/wii/wiiu
>>
>>3117284
The Wii is not 720p. The best things for a wii are a 31khz broadcast monitor or a PC CRT with something to convert YPbPr to RGB (or a european Wii).

that reminds me, does the european Wii run at 60hz? Can it?
>>
>>3117271
So... Would that involve me taking the TV apart? Sounds like a terrifying experience, with how heavy that thing is. I've also heard about people getting electrocuted when taking TVs/monitors apart.
>>
>>3117230
True enough for 4th gen, but in the latter half of the 90s a lot of us had CRTs in the 30" range with s-video for our Saturns and Playstations.

That said, personally I think blowing up low-res output to huge sizes looks bad, unless you've got a setup where you're far away from the display for some reason.
>>
There is literally nothing video games about this.
You're talking about televisions, not video games.
Go to >>>/g/
>>
>>3117242
you ask this in every god damn thread

youre lucky to find a decent CRT at all
what does it matter what the record CRT size is? you have no fucking way of finding the largest one so why does it matter?
the fw-900 is a best common pc crt
bigger ones exist ik carmack had a pair of 24"

take what you can get and stop spamming the thread
>>
>>3117332
We've had CRT threads on /g/ before

they despise it
>>
>>3117303
theres really not very many parts in a TV that can shock you

you have to understand its basically impossible to find perfection

i would say 90% of CRTs you find will need adjustments
>>
File: fw900 purchase.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
fw900 purchase.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
>>3117342
>>3117242

Fw900 is probably the best all around even if it's not the biggest size wise. It also works VERY well for modern stuff

Bigger stuff like the Gateway destination monitors are 4:3 and 31khz but seem to be less common

You can still find some fw900's if you look around (pic related)
>>
>>3116857
Just realized a typo:

You want 640x240, not 480.
>>
>>3117264
>Do you think I should put composite + audio on the back of the one I'm selling?
i would, i've sold tons of svideo/av modded genesis consoles with no problem. the better picture quality (for consumer americans) of svideo is a big turn on, plus having the audio jacks means the buyer doesn't ever need to find a proprietary cable

hell i have a bin of model 2s just waiting for some free time and still haven't sold my two modded TG-16s
>>
>>3117197
No, the purity problems stick to one one side on each monitor. The entire right border is green on one monitor and the bottom left is green on the other. Could have just been banged around
>>
So, let me be the first to tell you, over time, Cathode Ray Tubes degrade and decay. Eventually, you won't have anymore CRT TV's or monitors available that display well or are in good condition. This is a very real prospect in the next 30 or so years. Even if you maintain them and adjust them and don't use them much, they naturally decay and degrade over time producing a shittier image.

If you really think lines are required for retro gaming, you should consider why scanlines are not generated on emulators or new compilation CDs/discs for retro games. Or why scanlines are not part of the Wii virtual console or other retro playback machines.

But that's neither here nor there. The true answer is, pixel art is not supposed to be obstructed by scanlines.
>>
>>3117589
>mr nobody has spoken, hear his words
>or not
>>
>>3117589
>scanlines is bad
>i have no evidence
>>
File: IMG_20160405_161130.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160405_161130.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
Suggestions?
Ive tried degaussing wand and magnets

keep in mind taping magnets or small pieces of metal to the tube will considerably warp the convergence.

another thing this is a heavily shielded complicated older model BVM so taking it apart is no small task
>>
So, at my job we're working on replacing the last of our CRT monitors. I don't have any brand names, pics, or stats, but would I have any success using a PC CRT with retro consoles? A few of them had very good looking picture quality (as far as I could tell anyway). And what would I need to convert composite/s-video/component into VGA, preferably without any quality loss or input lag?
>>
>>3117824
>PC CRT
The Dreamcast is really the only thing that will do 31 kHz.
I guess you could use it with an upscaler/linedoubler such as the XRGB-3 as well. You'll have the benefit of no lag (or at least so I hear) with XRGB-3 in linedoubling mode.

Also you could get a transcoder and run more modern (480p and up) consoles such as PS2 and XBOX on it.

I'm thinking about getting one of those so I can play Project Diva on my PS3 without any of that pesky lag. That said, it still looks pretty neat at 480i on my PVM (in particular thanks to the underscan option, not wasting any resolution here)
>>
>>3117824
PC CRTs dont support 240p/480i

so unless you have an upscaler it wont work with your Retro consoles (aside from the dreamcast)
>>
>>3116850
GB Player?
>>
>>3116885
Daily reminder 4chan is inhabited by contrarians.
>>
>>3117291
when you convert the YPbPr to anything, will this create input lag?
>>
does anyone know if there are any tvs around 20" or smaller (for a desktop next to my pc) that have HDMI and YPbPr?
>>
>>3117836
>>3117840
Interesting. Thanks for the info anons. Maybe instead I'll use it for retro PC stuff instead, as there's no way I can afford that XRGB thing. Are there any other options for cheaper or am I SOL?
>>
>>3117884
There are many other linedoublers that could be used, especially if scanlines is of no particular importance to you. The cheapest ones tend to lack RGB, though.
>>
>>3117857
not when transcoding, unless the transcoder is doing something horribly wrong.
>>
>>3117896
what is transcoding?
>>
>>3117802
bump
>>
>>3117943
He means where the signals are run through a matrix multiplication on the fly. RGB is highly related to YPbPr and after sync is extracted it's simple to mathematically derive RGB. It could be done with discrete transistors theoretically, though matrix multiplication with discrete transistors is something that I need to read up on. A ADC -> CPLD -> DAC would also work pretty much instantaneously.
>>
>>3118042
There are also op-amp circuits around to do it, but a dedicated chip is probably a better choice.
>>
>>3117802
My 20L5 looked exactly like this after I first reinstalled the yoke when fixing it. I loosened the deflection yoke and tilted the yoke so the coil was closer to the glass of the tube on the right hand side, by pulling on the right side of it (right side when the screen is facing you).

Then I had to use 100% silicone caulk to glue the yoke back in place.
>>
>>3117589
yes, and eventually your LCD will be dust. My family has had the same sylvania TV console set since 1964. They last a long time and your point is moot.
>>
>>3117879
HDMI, no. YPbPr yes. But they are uncommon at that size.
>>
>>3117884
Get one from a TV station. I've spent approximately $20 on all my CRTs combined ($5 for an Apple IIe monitor and $15 for some BNC adapters and shit for my broadcast screens. I agree about XRGB, that price is bullshit.
>>
>>3117626
>i have no evidence

Here is your evidence.

Antiquated forms of technology forced to display scanlines were not implemented that way in the artwork, instructions manual, or the actual reproductions of the games.

Limitations of the display technology of the time did not mean that is how the image was supposed to look. If that was the case, pixel art would include scanlines as part of the design or art.

Your argument that scanlines were part of the original graphical intent doesn't take into account other forms of media, like early LCD tvs or projectors.
>>3118059

Mentioning an LCD is a strawman. I'm simply saying the "Retro" look of CRTs or scanlines are a product of antiquated display technology.

And that Sylvania 1964 TV set is NOT DISPLAYING how it did in 1964 now. It is literally impossible.
>>
>>3117879
If you want a CRT to sit next to your PC screen, and your PC screen is 16:9 or 16:10 and measured at around 20 inches, a 20 inch 4:3 CRT will be WAY too big. My 14 inch CRT fits next to my 24-inch 16:10 monitor pretty well, my 20L5 would be almost twice as tall as my PC screen. Pictured: 20 inches is huge.
>>
>>3118076
>>3117879

http://www.displaywars.com/
use this to calculate and compare monitor sizes

remember CRTs measure diagonally across including the bezel (20" CRT= 19" viewable size)

LCDs measure diagonally not including the bezel

and anon you want a Multisync with an HD Fury
or a really small HD CRT (with an upscaler maybe depends)
>>
>>3117589
>why scanlines are not generated on emulators

uhhhh, they can be?

>The true answer is, pixel art is not supposed to be obstructed by scanlines.

Cool non-sequitur. Real "scanlines" don't obscure anything, they're just gaps in the raster scan.
>>
>>3118117
only pc monitors. tv's and pro monitors are all measured in viewable size.

>>3118132
this man is right.
>>
>>3118071
>artwork, instructions manual
never have games artworks looked like the actual game does
why doesnt the art look like composite or rf?

>actual reproductions of the games
im sure when they needed a reference for creating the remakes they didnt use a CRT

most likely an upscaler or some sort of in house emulator to copy the visuals
>>
anyone here own a PC CRT with an SLG-3000?
How does it look compared to a pvm?
>>
>>3117884
http://arcadeforge.net/SLG3000/DIY-Scaler-Kit::29.html
>>
>>3118132
I don't always emulate, but when I do, I don't use scanline filters. They're just a nice artifact of CRT display technology. I like to play on CRTs because it feels right, and because I grew up playing games on CRTs. But on a computer I don't go full-on batshit crazy because there aren't scanlines and the black levels aren't as good.
>>
>>3118183
Actually the 20L5 I have has the same viewable size as my PVM-1944Q. The 1944Q was made in 1989, and sometime between then and the early 2000s sony switched. My panasonic monitor from 2003 is measured in viewable size, though, thus BT-H1390YN (13 inch diagonal).
>>
>>3118217
what is a SLG-3000? What you say makes it sound like it's not a PC monitor, but then you ask about a PC monitor 'with a SLG-3000'. Is that some crap scaler that makes artificially large scan lines instead of just being satisfied with the scanlines that are already there?
>>
>>3118298
PC CRT monitors dont have scanlines
they dont support 240p

SLG-3000 isnt a scaler it just adds accurate scanlines to 480 or 600p
its not crap from what ive seen

that thing linked a few posts above includes a scaler to scale 240p to 480p which is then connected to the SLG 3000 for accurate scanlines on LCDs or PC CRTs
>>
>>3118293
hmm it seems I was wrong about pro monitor, also the sony pvm-4300 had a 45" screen. shit
>>3118298
it's a scanline generator. I would just use a gonbes board and a t-slg but I'm a cheapass
>>
File: checkmate.png (156 KB, 975x977) Image search: [Google]
checkmate.png
156 KB, 975x977
So instead of buying an SLG3000
what's preventing me from doing this?
>>
>>3117241
Wait, is that hot glue on that PCB?

I try hard to avoid hot glue except for mounting purposes.
>>
>>3118323
>scanline generator
Your video card is already a scanline generator. You mean it ignores every other line of video?
>>
>>3116271
I don't think 1chip RGB is any better or worse than wii YPbPr, really.

>>3117427
Still smaller than my old laserdisc player's remote was, I think. Pretty big remote though.
>>
hi i recently got a Sony KV-TF21M61 and the image is tilted slightly anticlockwise, i cant seem to fix it using the service mode is there any work around to fixing it?
>>
>>3118331

I don't think anything will except possibly horizontal frequency. If you stretch it (do something like 640x240 doublescan) that should work. I've done it myself once or twice.
>>
>>3118552
IMO it's not worth trying to fix it if it is minor.
To fix it you have to loosen the deflection yoke and rotate it. There's a big chance that you'll screw up the purity and convergence and it's a bit of a pain to fix.
You could also try to see whether you can rotate the whole tube with respect to the bezel, probably easier.
>>
File: terminal and modern crt-4mb.jpg (3 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
terminal and modern crt-4mb.jpg
3 MB, 4608x3456
>>3118554
nevermind, just looked again. That should work as-is.

Linux master race!
>>
>>3118552
Rotate the deflection yoke. Sorry, it's not a simple thing.

You will possibly have to redo convergence or purity afterwards. If you are careful to not move it forward or backward but only rotate it, you might be alright.
>>
>>3118574
P.S. did that to my 20L5 too.
>>
>>3117212
do you use meth 20l5 guy?
>>
>>3118569
>>3118574

i have no idea how to do any of that, thanks though, i think its more trouble than its worth since its quite huge(21 inch) .the thought of tinkering anything inside scares me
>>
File: DSC_0722.jpg (2 MB, 2296x1634) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0722.jpg
2 MB, 2296x1634
>>3118580
No, but I'm cheap and try to make do with what I have. What I have is about 70 feet of cat5e that I have been slowly stripping and using for projects. My Famicom AV mod/power board used cat5 wire, for instance.
>>
Does a 17" pc crt that is rated for 1600x1200 @65 Hz sound legit to you guys?

Its fishy because the maximum horizontal sync is 86 which is really high for a 17 inch
but the vertical is kind of low at 140

with that kind of horizontal sync it should reach very high reses for a 17"

im not going to run into some kind of strange limitation trying to force 1440x1080 at 75Hz right?
>>
>>3118610
Jesus christ. 86 hz? that must do like 2 fps 12x6 video or something.

Seriously, give units. It's not that hard.

I can't do any math to say definitively whether this one will do it, but I have seen small-ish sets that can handle high resolutions.
>>
>>3118615
86 Khz sorry

most 17s ive seen only go up to 70Khz

http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl
im using this for calculations

the reason im skeptical is because its compaq and all the dell aperture grill 17"ers max out at 70Khz
>>
File: DSC_0724.jpg (4 MB, 3038x2017) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0724.jpg
4 MB, 3038x2017
The Mega Amp board is coming along nicely so far. Gotta hit the bed though.
>>
File: DSC_0726.jpg (4 MB, 3038x2017) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0726.jpg
4 MB, 3038x2017
>>3119058
underside

>>3118627
If it says in the manual or whatever that it'll support that resolution, it'll support it. Not sure if 75hz will work off the top of my head, though.
>>
>>3118132
Cool un-definition. scanlines are the places the picture is being drawn and the black areas are called 'scan lines' by some morons because they aren't there before the scanline filter on their emulator gets applied.
>>
File: DSC01921.jpg (3 MB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
DSC01921.jpg
3 MB, 5472x3648
>>3117836
>PS2
GC would have been a better example; Larger proportion of 480p compatible titles.

>>3117291
>that reminds me, does the european Wii run at 60hz? Can it?
It supports PAL60, so yes.

>>3117841
see
>>3116857
I don't have a GB or GBA flashcart, and certainly don't have a actual copy of Shantae. It runs great with via the Gambatte core.
>>
>>3118526
yeah, little dabs just to ensure wires stay put. hot glue is incredibly easy to remove, just a bit of iso alcohol and it literally falls off.

i feel like it's a little signature. my finger print in every little dab of glue.
>>
>>3118605
i think he was referencing your stellar ppm stat
>>
>>3118067
>Get one from a TV station. I've spent approximately $20 on all my CRTs combined
God, I understand why people hate you. Everything you say has this air of bragging and entitlement about it.

Don't get they guy's hopes up. Where do you even live? Because in my area, pretty much every TV station junked all of their CRTs years ago. I spent weeks calling, e-mailing and visiting dozens of stations in my area, and all I did was waste time and gas. You casually mention it as an option as though every TV station will just take you to their CRT kennel and let you pick your favorite.
>>
Anyone living in rural areas will never ever find working PVMs anyway
>>
>>3119454
Hot glue on PCB s just reminds me of Drakon's work. I don't use any hot glue on my genesis mod so far (for the one I'm selling).
>>3119459
Yeah, I post a lot.

>>3119465
The reason I started using the name was so people would know that bragging wasn't the only thing I ever did, but that I actually had some advice and stuff to offer that I'd been anonymously posting before. Fuck off. I was saying that if money is a problem, it's a solution that worked for me.
>>
>>3119632
Fort Wayne is pretty close to being rural. It's basically just a ton of stores farmers visit. You'll need to visit some sort of town or city to have much chance of finding anything, though.
>>
>>3119465
Since I forgot to reply to you above, Fort Wayne, Indiana.
>>
>>3118331
If you're using a PC, you absolutely don't need an SLG3000. You can just output 480p and insert alternating black lines using shaders or software filters for the same exact thing as an SLG. Also, many PC monitors will natively display 240p if it is refreshed at 120Hz, since the limiting factor is the horizontal scan rate minimum of 28-30KHz for most PC CRT monitors.

Also, it's highly recommended to output either method with an extremely wide horizontal resolution like 2560 or 3840, and configure the emulator to stretch to that aspect ratio. It will appear normal on the CRT despite the wide aspect ratio, due to the way CRTs work. There are a large number of possible resolutions that games of different systems can use and you can easily run into scaling problems, but using output resolutions with such large horizontal widths will make those problems unnoticeable. It greatly reduces the number of modelines you need to create for each game/system as well.
>>
File: 20151031_180345.jpg (2 MB, 1152x2048) Image search: [Google]
20151031_180345.jpg
2 MB, 1152x2048
>>
File: 20151031_182021.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20151031_182021.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1152
>>
>>3116850
>scanlines on GB game
you fukt up
>>
>>3119676
thanks

today i was thinking about 'what if i ran 240p at really high hz to emulate 15khz'

so i started googling and its just like you said

pretty cool that you can get almost bvm quality out of a common PC crt
>>
>>3119650
you're still a braggadocios, egotistical douche with a mild spectrum disorder and delusions of grandeur. I mean you can't even admit you're a broke ass amateur on an anonymous image board. No you gotta namefag, pretend you're cheap and make excuses and redirect every time somebody points out that you are in fact what you try so hard to not be.

>Hot glue on PCB s just reminds me of Drakon's work.
you're a hack too...

I'm not even keenly perceptive, so it's not only I that can see through the charade but the board as a whole. That's why you got TOLD the first time you posted here. We would have had more respect if you had came here admitting you were broke ass amateur enthusiast that is cutting up all his shit and using scavenged parts because that's what you have access to.

You may as well just go back to talking shit all the time, people couldn't like you any less.
>>
It's not a crt thread without some 20l5 guy hate

What effects corner convergence? placement of the set in the room? my set has very good convergence everywhere except one of the corners (about 25% of the top left square) so adjusting the rings might fix that part and ruin everything else. It's too fucking big for me to move around the room and experiment
>>
>>3120124
meh

i dont like his mods but he's helpful

just keep this thread chill yo we dont have to run off all the namefags
>>
>>3120192
>i dont like his mods but he's helpful

not even.
always come with "composite is good enough" or "muh palette"
>>
>>3120251
why would i care about consoles in a crt thread?
>>
>>3119676
im curious about something
cant find an answer online
what if i wanted to watch some old movies in 480i? could i make some video player work with 3840x480i?
>>
>>3120258
/vr/
>>
File: IMG_2564.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2564.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
Can someone point me to a good S-Video cable for a homebrew'd Wii? I can't tell if everything on amazon is trash and my PVM is Composite and S-Vid only
>>
File: DSC02333s.jpg (3 MB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
DSC02333s.jpg
3 MB, 5472x3648
>>3120048
Nah
>>
>>3120385
looks pretty fuckin cool desu
>>
>>3120385
looks kind of blurry
>>
Im considering selling my BVM in order to buy a quality PC CRT monitor since I only emulate anyway and using>>3119676
this anon's idea

You think I'll be missing out on anything?
Id rather not have 2 CRTs around and this is essentially a multisync hack for anons that only use emulation
>>
>>3120381
there's the official ones (~$35) or you can roll the dice with a s-video and composite cable.
>>
>>3120459
thx hombre
>>
>>3120274
If it's a 15KHz display, then you can probably just make a modeline for that and use it with the video player.

For 31KHz, probably best to stick with 480p with either simple deinterlacing or with a shader that inserts interlacing black lines. I don't think 480i at 120Hz will work very well, but I could be wrong.
>>
>>3120457
pc crts tend to be stupidly sharp, on par with mid/high end pvms/bvms. But if that's what float your boat go ahead.
>>
>>3120505
>>3120508
thanks anons
>>
>>3120251
>he's always like 'muh composote' or 'muh palette'
Only on the NES/Famicom which never even internally process in RGB. The NESRGB has no even mostly accurate palettes, so I choose composite video in that case only as the highest quality a NES's hardware will generate.

But yeah, this is a CRT thread, and if you disagree and like your NESRGB then fine. Just don't get personally offended by my different priorities.
>>
https://youtu.be/AGigrMXElcs?t=326
interesting
>>
>>3120385
My favorite pokemon game. My copy's got a problem where I basically need to wedge a nickel into my game boy to play it, though. Going to reflow some solder sometime soon, I think. Maybe put some solder on the pins to make them thicker.
>>
>>3120457
If you are in my area (northeast indiana), I'd buy it and drive to pick it up. If you're only emulating, you won't lose much.
>>
>>3120192
>I don't like his mods
This one look any nicer? >>3117141
Since I'm going to sell this one once the mega amp is done ( >>3119058 ), I care about how it looks.
>>
>>3120552
>Just don't get personally offended by my different priorities.

don't shove them into everyone throat then.
>>
>>3120583
Yes, I've done a lot of that recently and the majority of my posts in the last 2 threads have been shoving down peoples' throats. Seriously, fuck you.
>>
>>3120591
(ツ)
>>
Can someone recommend me a decent composite 240p to 480p vga scaler?

I was thinking the cga2vga but it only does component.

I can handle a little bit of lag.
>>
Do crt computer monitors emit radiation? From the front or back?
>>
>>3120567
Nah I'm really far away
The dirty south
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (218 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
218 KB, 1600x1067
What would be the best way to hook up my SNES to this bad boy? Also, any reason why I shouldn't pick up this monitor? The price seems too good to be true.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-SONY-Trinitron-PVM-8041Q-Portable-Color-Video-Monitor-4-035-084-01-/291694491120
>>
File: radiation[1].png (87 KB, 1134x1333) Image search: [Google]
radiation[1].png
87 KB, 1134x1333
>>3120637
10 bananas worth a year
>>
>>3120669
Too small
(under 10 inches is gonna be a bad time)
The price isnt that good

look at panasonic and ikegami besides just sony

which snes model?
>>
>>3120669
Well if you're going to hook an SNES to that then I'd obviously go with RGB via SCART or whatever you feel like using.

And if you can find one like that but with the HR Triniton moniker then I'd pick that over the one you linked to.

Aside from that it should be a great monitor if you don't mind the size. Just better hope they pack it well. Wouldn't want any surprises when you get it.
>>
>>3120669
that seller should be reported for that shipping
>>
>>3120650
Indiana has everything the bible belt has except it's catholic and physically north of it.
Rednecks and homophobia and all that fun stuff. The other week we passed a law banning abortions based on disabilities. Your kid has down's syndrome? Sucks, but aborting it is illegal.
>>
>>3120702
Yeah, just typed my zip code and the price with shipping (which is $25) comes to $65. What a rip.

As someone with a 14 inch monitor, which is already pretty small unless you sit close (which suits me fine), you don't want to nearly halve that to 8 inches. You could have your nose pressed against it to read text. It'd be a lot like using a nexus 10 or something similar. Totally not worth it. My nexus 6 screen is about as wide as that monitor's width. Just shorter in landscape.
>>
8" is only worth it for the test bench imo

Way to small to comfortably play anything
>>
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Trinitron-BVM-1310-CRT-Monitor-/272203063103?hash=item3f60911f3f:i:272203063103
pretty good deal if anyone is around there
>>
File: DSC02501ARW.jpg (948 KB, 5081x3395) Image search: [Google]
DSC02501ARW.jpg
948 KB, 5081x3395
>>3120407
It was. That was when I was still just screwing around and learning the new camera, and the autofocus didn't pick up as nicely as I would have hoped. Didn't feel like going and taking a better picture at that moment. This one is sharper, but has moire problems.

>>3120459
It's a larger connector, so even if the S-Video/Composite cable turns out to be shit, if the pins are still there, hacking together your own probably shouldn't be too difficult.

>>3120559
I've actually been considering doing that to a N64 GS I bought a few days ago, in the off chance the reason it isn't working is an issue with the contacts; With my luck, it's probably an issue with the firmware, as I've already tried every game I own in the chance it's a key code issue.
Depressing, since I was really hoping to try out those filter removal codes on some games.

>>3120674
If you think that's bad: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281946807326
>>
>>3120857
why do you care?
>>
>>3120857
gameboy looks worse interlaced
>>
>>3120857

Why are you so hung up on scanlines?

We get it, you hate them, no need to sperg out when others like them.
>>
>>3120865
I am in awe. That 5" screen is hardly bigger than a camcorder viewfinder tube.
>>
Hello everybody.

I have a Sony Trinitron Vega with 2 S-video ports.
One in the front and one in the back.
The one in the front suffers from some kind of noise or interference.
It is like RF snow but not anywhere near as bad. There are tiny white specks flickering whenever the screen is dark.
If the character has a dark jacket for example it seems to sparkle with activity.
On composite the color is normal and flat.
The rear S-video connector is working normally.
What caused this problem and how do I fix it?
>>
>>3120961
My first guess would be a shoddy solder joint, my second would be the more likely bad internal PCB layout. Just use the one on the back with an extension 4-pin mini DIN cable or something like that to wrap it around front.
>>
File: IMG_1779.jpg (846 KB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1779.jpg
846 KB, 2448x2448
>>3120857
>3120857
I got you anon.
SNES 70$
Super gameboy 12$
>>
>>3120978
>SNES $70

Dear lord, are they really that much now? Six years ago they were $35 at a local store.
>>
>>3120978
>>3120981
5 minutes on ebay and I found one for $40. Looks like auction ends in 15 minutes.
>>
File: Lepvm.jpg (453 KB, 1676x2981) Image search: [Google]
Lepvm.jpg
453 KB, 1676x2981
I've given up trying to take good pictures of my pvms screen with my phone's camera, every time I take a picture the colours get all blurred and the pixels look like they're bleeding into each other. Its weird, because it only looks like that on finished photos. I think my lens is busted...

Also Im thinking of getting rid of my framemeister, since the difference I get from my PVM as opposed to my upscaler to my HDTV is astonishing: there's zero lag to speak of. Playing mega man and super ghouls on my pvm, or any crt is a Fucking dream. Seriously I can't imagine going back. Though to be fair, I think it's more of a problem with my television then the framemeister itself, might be a good idea to simply hang on to it...

Also I really really want to get a genesis + Sega CD, playing sonic 1, 2, 3, sonic CD, Eccho the dolphin, and Snatcher, I feel like it's criminal that I'm currently missing out on those. You guys think it's worth grabbing just for those games? Once I have the consoles I'll definitely begin collecting for them, plus a big advantage is the games are cheaper.

In any case, here's my current setup. Posted the pic in another (shit)post on this board, for those that noticed. And no I'm not going to show her backside.
>>
>>3120986
link http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNES-Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-White-Console-Works-Great-/291724404566
>>
>>3120981
I got one for like $5 at a flea market last month. It required minor fixing and it had only one controller, though.
>>
>>3120987
Biggest advantage is that sega CD games can be burned to CD-R's and the CD drive is waaay less picky and unreliable with CD-R's than a PSX drive. No lockout mod needed, either.
>>
>>3120992
Sounds great, I got a busted Super Famicom for around $12 on ebay and it worked after I replaced the fuse. Good deals are out there... some people just seem to overpay a good deal.
>>
>>3120701
so I'd have to get the SNES to SCART, and then another SCART to display RGB?
>>
>>3120996
No, SCART is sub-optimal outside the EU. For some incredibly stupid reason no one makes a SNES -> BNC or SNES -> RCA RGB cable.

If you are comfortable making your own cable, do that, but if you need to ask I assume you can't and don't know how to use google.
>>
>>3121002
>>3120996
clarification: using only premade and overpriced cables, the way to do it is SNES -> SCART and SCART -> Something you can actually use on your monitor.
>>
>>3120987
get rid of the xrgb and use the money towards games
>>
>>3121002
>>3121006
I'd rather just go the SNES to S-Video route, I doubt the difference between that and RGB wouldn't be too noticeable
>>
>>3120996
If you're trying to hook up your snes to a pvm or any crt with BNC hookups you'll need a snes scart cable (I suggest euroscart) as well as a female scare to BNC breakout cable.

The scart cable itself you can get from retro_console_aaccessories on eBay, the bnc cables you can get from wookieewin also on ebay. Make sure everything you get is euroscart.
>>
>>3121008
I wonder how much I could get for it. Everything is in brand new condition still, plus I have the euroscart version of the adapter that's included that only accepts jp21. If there's any Torontobros here, I'll do $300 for everything.
>>
File: sum.jpg (49 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
sum.jpg
49 KB, 900x900
>>3121014
ahh thank you very much. I just started doing research on getting a CRT today and I was a little confused.
>>
File: SNES formats.jpg (203 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
SNES formats.jpg
203 KB, 1024x768
>>3121009
No, the difference is noticeable. The colors are less vivid in S-Video (On my 1chip, anyway). But it's nothing that bothers me significantly enough to stop me from using S-Video if it's the best I can do.
>>
>>3120996
>>3121014
I make my own ghetto connectors wiring from the console connector to a female DB9 connector. I put the necessary resistors/capacitors inside the the cover of the DB9 connector. I also wire 2 AV cables with RCA connectors (one with yellow, red, white connectors and another with red, blue, green connectors) to a male DB9 connector, finally I use RCA to BNC adaptors to connect to the PVM.
>>
>>3121014
Or the alternative if you're confident is to drill some RCA jacks and wire in a few capacitors and get RCA -> BNC adapters. But clearly I am one of the few here who find this a promising option.
>>
>>3121025
Im pretty sure the only crts that use those BNC hookups are sony pvms and equivalents tho consumer sets might have svideo if you're lucky.
>>
File: wiring job.jpg (3 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
wiring job.jpg
3 MB, 4608x3456
>>3121032
Why not put the capacitors in the console itself?
>>
>>3120968
Would reflowing the solder joint fix it?

What does a bad internal PCB layout look like and how does it cause this noise?
>>
>>3121042
I considered that but since I got a connector with all the pins I could leave the console itself unmodified.
I did put a small circuit board inside the dreamcast for the VGA mod because I couldn't find an AV cable with all the pins.
>>
File: DSC_0729.jpg (718 KB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0729.jpg
718 KB, 3008x2000
>>3121037
>only sony PVMs

Not the only one this thread who's said it, even. Sony is not the only company to make professional monitors that accept RGB through BNC connectors. Sony is not the only option.

A lot of the (consumer) US is stuck with s-video though. Not that it's impossible to get a pro CRT, or anything. Non-sony ones seem to be a bit more affordable anyway most of the time.

Also there are RGB to YPbPr converters out there. Not looked too much into them, but they're apparently usually pretty good. They seem to be mainly meant for using european prosumer equipment on US televisions, so it is the one truly and undebatably valid reason to get a SNES SCART cable here that I can think of.
>>
>>3121051
Thats why I said "or equivalents" ...
I'm Well aware of high quality NEC and Panasonic crts
>>
>>3121043
You know how the toploading NES and original famicom have jailbar interference? Like that, maybe. Thin traces or ones that pass too close to things in the video frequency band could cause such interference. It is possible but unlikely by comparison that reflowing some joints would fix stuff. Also, if you are not afraid to open it up, I'd check the capacitors along the luma trace coming from the S-video connector and making sure they are all in good shape by replacing them. This will be in a low voltage area of the TV, probably.
>>
>>3121051

Damn for a white guy you're pretty fucking ghetto

>>3120171
Anyone? I remember seeing somewhere that the positioning in the room could effect something like corner convergence?
>>
>>3121029
S-video has a quite low chroma resolution, so that's probably why the colors are subdued.
>>
>>3121029
Can someone explain the typewriter in chrono trigger thing, I don't get it it's not first time I've seen it
>>
>>3121058
My S-video cable from monoprice is taking it's sweet time to get here.

My workbench was in the way of the futon my aunt and uncle who are visiting are sleeping on, so I'm on the floor for a week or two.

Turns out modding a genesis without owning the video cable for one requires some improvisation.

And I freely admit to being messy. But I know where basically everything is, even like this.

>>3121070
Actually, I looked into it and at 240p S-Video technically has a high enough chroma sampling rate to supply video exactly equivalent to RGB. In real life, however, the S-Video encoder Nintendo decided to use was not up to snuff.

The CXA1145 (in the Genesis) actually seems to produce REALLY nice s-video. I'm pretty astonished because its composite is such absolute garbage.

>>3117168 is S-video.
So is this pic, but it's further away so I can show off how disorganized I am. And yes, it's usually kind of like this. Just more loose parts on the ground than I usually like because I'm doing a mod on the floor. I'll run over it all with a vacuum when I'm done.

>>3121081
I made this as a response to someone else who showed a picture of it and was claiming some stupid shit I forget now. It was either that 'programmers didn't develop with s-video in mind' or that S-Video was complete shit and nothing other than RGB was even worth shit, or something dumb like that. I honestly forget the details myself. But I keep recycling that comparison photo.
>>
File: DSC_0739.jpg (3 MB, 2997x1669) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0739.jpg
3 MB, 2997x1669
>>3121092
>writes all of that shit
>takes photo and prepares it for upload
>forgets to upload pic

Wince in OCD fury, /vr/. Or suprise me and accept it without laughing at my expense for the next few hour, or suprise me even more and ask me about what a thing in the picture is for or what it is.
>>
File: DSC_0748.jpg (3 MB, 1875x1377) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0748.jpg
3 MB, 1875x1377
Closer pic. This is adifficult screen to take pictures of with this camera and a shadow mask. They're awesome in person but you get a bunch of moire on the camera unless you have the patience to take one that finally looks just right.
>>
>>3121118
I've seen the term shadow mask used often, what does it mean?
>>
>>3119089
Ah. I got a flashcart just to play Shantae.

I've been meaning to play it in my GB Player since the sound is a bit whack on my GBC, but I need to chip or otherwise make region free (best would probably be to run the homebrew GB Player software my PAL GC since I bought my GB Player from japan.
>>
>>3120381
Monoprice Wii S-video cables tend to be pretty good.
>>
>>3117189
I need to get a Mega Drive some day to play this game. Also it's the only Sega Hard Girl I don't own
>>
>>3121247
Monster World IV is really awesome, totally worth it.
Do it for her
>>
>>3121137
It's a way of separating the three electron guns in a color CRT so that the red gun doesn't illuminate anything but the red phosphors on the tube. If there were no mask, each of the electron guns would hit all the phosphors in a region and render everything black and white as if it were on a true black and white CRT.

The Aperture Grille is what the sony monitors and a few others (Mitsubishi Diamondtron, for instance) used as an alternative method of separating the color guns, using vertical lines (copper wire coil) instead of a mesh (shadow mask).

The wikipedia page explains it pretty well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_mask
>>
>>3120987
is that an ikea lil coffee table? careful with your 20" pvm and consoles. I had a 20" pvm on mine and i think i weakened the legs.
>>
File: 20160407_033058.jpg (866 KB, 2240x1344) Image search: [Google]
20160407_033058.jpg
866 KB, 2240x1344
So, the CRT I use has these arcing lines on the sides that are pretty noticeable when there's grey on the screen. Anyone know if it's fixable? I'm not very tech savvy when it comes to CRTs.
Best pic I could get right now. I'll draw on it in my next post so you see what I mean.
>>
File: CRT problem.jpg (726 KB, 2240x1344) Image search: [Google]
CRT problem.jpg
726 KB, 2240x1344
>>3121474
Sorry for the shitty MS Paint job.
It's the same on the other side of the screen btw.
>>
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ele/5524971455.html
Now if only I had access to a small theater sized room.

>>3121193
If you have a copy of Smash Bros Melee (and access to a softmodded Wii) you could grab a cheap SDGecko off ebay and use HomeBros to load the needed software, preferably Game Boy Interface rather than the stock Boot Disc.
>>
www.subito.it/audio-video/monitor-crt-27-sony-kx-27-4-pezzi-roma-69624655.htm

Anybody know what this model actually is? It looks like it's a pre-PROFEEL KX-27PS1 but that's supposed to be silver and this one's black. Should I try to get it?
>>
>>3121820
There's also four of them, so if you really REALLY want it enough to pay one fortune and a half for shipping you can talk to me.
>>
>>3121820
>www.subito.it/audio-video/monitor-crt-27-sony-kx-27-4-pezzi-roma-69624655.htm

The corners have something on them, looks like its got some sort of travel case or something built around it

If it works well I'd grab it, mine looked really good until it started smoking.
>>
File: 20160406_073301.jpg (1 MB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
20160406_073301.jpg
1 MB, 3000x1688
>>3094623
took me forever to finally find time to work on my setup

now i'm having sync issues and i can't identify the problem.
it's odd...
i have every thing going through that inline in3808 switch.
>inputs 1-5 RGBs
>input 6 dreamcast RGBs (from extron sync processor)
>input 7 component from ps2
>input 8 is from a individual composite/svideo switch
>output 1 is RGBs/YUV
>output 2 is composite/svideo

>input 1 nes - no sync
>input 2 snes is dead somehow, removed and awaiting bench
>input 3 n64 no RGB or sync (tested both rgb cables i have with multiout)
>input 4 sega/cd/32x- untested (lost power supplies)
>input 5 saturn - no sync
>input 6 dreamcast - WORKS FINE, see below
>input 7 ps2 YUV is fine, but no ext sync
>input 8 composite/svideo av switch - works fine

however, input 6, dreamcast, goes:
dreamcast vga (rgbhv) > extron sync processor (rgbs) > input 6
and it works fine, no sync issues... yet it's using the same RGBs output as the other systems.

i can't find the issue and it's driving me nuts.
i'm going to tear it all down tonight and start over, checking each system as i hook it up...

the struggle continues, friendos.
>>
File: bootleg.gif (49 KB, 711x527) Image search: [Google]
bootleg.gif
49 KB, 711x527
>>3121852
also, i hate that i have to use the extra lil shelf thing under the bvm/switch.... i could move the nes, audio amp and audio switch elsewhere but it also hides the extron processor and the composite/svideo switch....

THE FUCKING STRUGGLE
>>
>>3121852
>inline in3808
Think those switchers only like csync/raw sync from the input side. Throw a sync stripper into one of the inputs and test it out
>>
>>3121474
>>3121487
are you using composite?
>>
>>3122030
Curious about this as well, I have similar wavy lines when grey is displayed on my PVM. Waiting for an S-Video cable for my Wii in the mail to see if it mitigates the issue.
>>
>>3122030
I'm using S-Video, but it's there no matter what I use.
>>
>>3121852
Are you the anon that bought that BVM from ebay, shipped from Providence, RI? How did it turn out?
>>
>>3121960
i already ordered 10 1881s, now the waiting game begins...
i assume i'll find some dumb mistake and everything will work before they show up (or rather, i hope)

>>3122147
i'm not the most recent one. in fact, i don't think i ever said where i got my d20, but yeah, i talked them down to 500 shipped. i was very specific with my shipping requirements which they were fine with. showed up fine, no issues.

no problems with the monitor (yet) either, i was worried with the 60k+ hours...
>>
File: 1458496962686.jpg (429 KB, 1161x1752) Image search: [Google]
1458496962686.jpg
429 KB, 1161x1752
>>3121852
>the struggle continues, friendos
Yup. My setup isn't nearly as complicated as yours and I know what you mean. I don't have nearly as many systems as you, so I'm not in as deep, I know I could put my stereo receiver on top of my PVM and get a ton of extra shelf space, but I just don't like how that looks. Plus, I slide the monitor forward to get at the connections in back every now and again, having more shit on top of it would get in the way. I've got a different, smaller stereo amplifier coming in this week, hopefully I can make it fit alongside the PlayStation on the top row. Trying to keep my setup all-Sony, just for chuckles. If I ever get a multi-format monitor, then I'm screwed because I'm gonna have to wedge my Dreamcast and Gamecube into this setup, too.

I've thought about replacing every console with smaller versions to save space, but I'm a sucker for the originals. As it stands, none of these are actually my childhood consoles. My SNES was an older model with blurry RGB, my N64 was a newer model that couldn't be easily RGB modded, and I didn't want to risk ruining my childhood NES by botching the RGB mod, which was basically only my second time ever using a soldering iron (N64 was my first). Fortunately, nothing went wrong, but now I regret not using my original system. Also, the Genesis is a 3/4 board model because my original had absolutely shit audio, and apparently some kind of audio/video interference that was within the system itself. It always used to give me feedback on bright screens.
>>
Running Sonic CD on my CRT right now and I've been trying to take a picture that does it justice, but after half an hour I have given up. Sorry chaps.

That reflective water background when you're near the bottom of the screen in Collision Chaos, god damn. God fucking damn.
>>
>>3122186
Do you have any capture hardware? I'd like to see it too, even if it doesn't come from a CRT.
>>
>>3122165
>i already ordered 10 1881s, now the waiting game begins...
>i assume i'll find some dumb mistake and everything will work before they show up (or rather, i hope)

I bet its a sync issue, it would be easy to test with the snes and the genesis (they do csync, think nesrgb does too)

Did you order the parts from china?
>>
File: IMG_20160407_133740.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160407_133740.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
This is a Toshiba 14AF45 FST Pure Flat CRT TV (according to Amazon) displaying the japanese version of SSF2.

Does it look good?
What the fuck does FST stands for?
What's a digital comb filter or an "invar shadow mask"?

If the picture looks like crap, blame the Galaxy S3
>>
>>3122209
>If the picture looks like crap, blame the Galaxy S3

more like blame composite.
although the S3 is complete shit for crt pics, I agree. I had one.
>>
>>3122209
it would look so much better with s-video
theres one on the back
>>
File: IMG_20160407_142958.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2176) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160407_142958.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2176
>>3122224
>>3122236
I know, but I don't have the cables for it (I almost didn't found the composite cables actually, fuck RF).
It looks decent enough from where I play though, althoughb I was expecting scanlines or something like that.

Do you know what FST and the other stuff means?
>>
>>3122286
FST stands for Flatter Squarer Tube in marketing speak.

Not sure what the point of using that acronym to describe a completely flat-faced FD Trinitron-alike was though...
>>
>>3122286
Invar is a type of low-expansion alloy used to improve the performance of shadow masks. More specifically to maintain alignment of the ekectron beams to the phosphor sites despite temperature variation.

A comb filter improves the quality of RF and Composite inputs by compensating for the degradation caused by multiplexing all the different data streams into one signal.
>>
File: 20160406_192851.jpg (163 KB, 1000x749) Image search: [Google]
20160406_192851.jpg
163 KB, 1000x749
>>3122202
snes is dead, haven't troubleshot it yet
lost my genesis/32x/cd power supplies in the last tear down/move/setup...
the nesrgb did have csync out, i wonder if it's true c-sync or just c-vid.. my nes is also affected, see pic

i found an NA supplier on ebay, 10 bucks with shipping for 10 of them, i'm fine overpaying to get them in 4 days instead of a week or two.
>>
>>3122336
nesrgb has a real csync AND c-vid.
what is connected depends on the modder however, dunno if it's you or someone else.
>>
>>3122342
right, it was a while since i did it. i would think i'd wire c-sync since i'd never have a use for composite video...

why can i remember the license plate of a car that cut me off two years ago but i can't remember what output i wired...
i remember the actual modding pretty vividly, except the final wiring up. the nes i used was super shitty and i had to manual rewire a bunch of traces around the PPU. i can't believe i didn't take any pictures.
>>
>>3122336
Yeah they are not that $$ anyway. If someone else did your nes mod see what they set it for. It's pretty obvious you just need the sync strippers though.
>>
>>3122352
many times nesrgb composite is used because it's built from rgb and is off better quality than stock nes composite
inb4 that guy
>>
Hm on my '90 tube BVM

you can see a slight vertical what almost looks like smudging sometimes on a light colored moving image
its more apparent closer to the edges

it almost looks like the screen is a little dirty on those spots but it isnt

is this a side affect of an old tube? or could it be the coating on the front of the glass is degrading?
>>
>>3122357
not only that but isn't the stock composite out disabled after the nesrgb install?

i'll let you guys know once the 1881s come in.
>>
>>3122373
yes it is, you get a grey image
>>
>>3122312
>>3122326
So... A 100% flat screen, an improved way to direct the beams to their space and a digital image quality compensator, respectively and basically?

Interesting, no wonder the TV uses 2 glasses for the screen.

Thanks anons
>>
>>3122481
Both those answers were from the same anon, me. I just split it into two posts because I'm kerayzee like that.

FST has been around since the 80s. It just signified an improvement in flatness over the full-on "goldfish bowl" tubes like your grandparents probably had. Not sure why they'd use that term on a flat CRT but whatever.
>>
>>3122364
could be the old tube, yeah. Post pics for a better answer, i suppose.
>>
File: PSX_20160407_223842.jpg (974 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
PSX_20160407_223842.jpg
974 KB, 2560x1440
>>
>>3116850
wow, that pic is insulting. Finally a reason to hide the CRT threads, I suppose.
>>
anyone has a groovylivearcade cd mirror ? it got wiped from google projects
>>
>>3122209
Cool amp. I want one like that, but Marantz or Yamaha-made.
>>
>>3121852
That switch isn't too big for that room/table _at all_. It totally doesn't look out of place.

Glad you got it working, but I'd be hiding that switch somewhere behind the shelf.

Might also look better if you put it to the side of the monitor or above it.
>>
>>3122375
Not if you do it yourself and populate the correct components for the switch. Then you can pull the original composite out.

Pre-modded? nope. Too much effort.
>>
>>3122357
>that guy
You called?
Clearer but not correctly colored.

You can get the same clarity with more accurate colors with a Wii, retroarch, and nestopia than you can with a NESRGB sadly.
>>
>>3123165
google super gameboy
gb on the snes and guess what
it has scanlines
>>
>>3123238
That's not a GBC, though. The SGB is monochrome game boy only, unfortunately. I don't think the SNES even has the bandwidth to pump 8bpp color from a SNES. The monochrome GB is 2 bits per pixel, much easier on it.
>>
>>3123242
just saying it isnt so unholy as the anon thinks
>>
>>3123245
yes it is as unholy as I think it is, for the reasons >>3123242 mentioned. Not a single GBC game has CRT artifacts. Though they also messed up, as the GBC too, has only 2 bits per pixel
>>
File: pokered-gbc.png (6 KB, 480x451) Image search: [Google]
pokered-gbc.png
6 KB, 480x451
>>3123242
>>3123245
Agreed, though for GBC games my solution is to just use a handheld. For Pokemon Red/Blue, besides hacks like this one on github, the best way to play with colors is on a SGB. https://github.com/dannye/pokered-gbc
>>
>>3123253
>GBC is 2 bits per pixel
True, but you're wrong anyway.
You misunderstand, the SGB works by piping raw video data into the SNES. The GBC is indeed 2BPP internally but the number of palettes available mean that the SNES has to be fed the actual RGB color from a theoretical SGB-GBC, as the SNES has no way of knowing what is a sprite and what is a background.
>>
>>3123261
and all the available colors on the GBC can be fit in a 8 bit color index.
>>
>>3123261
>True, but you're wrong anyway.
That statement makes no sense.

>You misunderstand, the SGB works
I didn't give a shit how the SGB works, it doesn't support GBC games, and I can't be arsed to give that device even a hint of a thought beyond that.

>>3123263
>and all the available colors on the GBC can be fit in a 8 bit color index.
GBC has 15-bit color, and through HDMA can show a couple thousand of those at the same time. An 8-bit index is insufficient.
>>
>>3123253
but they have the same resolution
>>
>>3123265
>True, but you're wrong anyway.
>That statement makes no sense.
Actually, it makes sense. You are correct that the GBC is also 2bpp, but you lack understanding of how the SGB works to realize that despite the same bits per pixel being used, palettes add a layer of complexity that dramatically increases needed bandwidth for the solution in the SGB to work.

>You misunderstand, the SGB works
>I didn't give a shit how the SGB works, it doesn't support GBC games, and I can't be arsed to give that device even a hint of a thought beyond that.

That's your problem. You don't care how it works and you intend to sperg about it to a master of sperging about things.
>>
>>3123268
and I give a shit why? The game in OPs pic never ever looked like it does in OPs pic. It's about as "authentic" as using one of the oh-so.despised "filters", and even worse, it's crt-fetish material. At this point it's not about authenticity or accuracy but pure fetishisation of a technology, and fuck everything else.
>>
>>3123165
Would you prefer interlacing?
>>
>>3123268
Resolution is nothing to do with it. Monochrome with four gray levels takes less space than color, unless there are only four or less colors on the screen.
>>
>>3123271
>You are correct that the GBC is also 2bpp
Good, because that was the only thing I talked about

>you lack understanding of how the SGB works
No, I don't care how it works, none of my statement was about how the SGB works. You're barking up the wrong tree.

>you intend to sperg about it to a master of sperging about things
projection much
>>
>>3121408
Bullshit, the LACK table is indestructible. I had a wet table with a miata engine on it in the basement for about 3 months.
>>
>>3123276
He wanted to play a GBC game on a CRT. He didn't come into your house and kill your dog or something. There's no reason to get upset.
>>
>>3123274
I'd prefer a clearly visible LCD pattern, possibly with the refresh artifacts of the GBC. Or, you know, for this game to not be used in a fucking "CRT" thread, as it has nothing to do with it, not even remotely.
>>
>>3123280
>He wanted to play a GBC game on a CRT. He didn't come into your house and kill your dog or something
Same difference. They deserve a rusty pitchfork up their rectum for even attempting
>>
>>3123274
fun fact, GBA (original one at least) has some kind of interlacing going on, if you look carefuly
>>
>>3123284
Hey, I personally prefer to play most GBC games on handhelds, especially with the washed out screens of a GBC/GBA. But relax.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 125

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.