[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CRT THREAD - DUMB FROG POSTER EDITION
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 129
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2678x2117) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2678x2117
Previous thread(s) - >>2828308

This thread is for the spirited discussion of CRT displays - Televisions, monitors and projectors used for the playing of retro games!

>Try to keep it /vr/-related: Nothing past 5th gen(+Dreamcast). Slight OT might be okay if related to CRTs (E.G. 16:9 compatible models, flatscreens, etc.) Systems with backwards compatibility are also pretty safe territory, assuming you're focusing on the older games. PC CRTs are also a-ok.
>Produce OC! Get out your real cameras and take beautiful pictures of your CRTs displaying recognizable characters with the kind of beautiful accuracy that brings tears to the eyes of young and old alike! If you take 100 photos, at least one of them will turn out alright! (maybe)
>Try to be as detailed as possible when asking info on a specific model. As always, google is your friend, and we are your friends with benefits. Older archived threads aren't a bad place to look either.
>Share appreciation for others choice of technology and personal philosophy of gaming. As always show courtesy in your discussion and moderate yourselves first.

Discussion of video processing and scaling devices is okay, but try to keep the focus on CRTs and CRT accessories

CRT Pastebin (WIP): http://pastebin.com/1Ri5TS3x
S-Video Pasta: http://pastebin.com/rH2h6C7W
Thread Survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1PhdXJYwA8xModrTV1Yt-i1tvNgwiagpeBx0m_xNIVtc/viewform?edit_requested=true&fbzx=9009823977812318933
>>
File: IMG_2191.jpg (3 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2191.jpg
3 MB, 4000x3000
Finally got bnc/phono adapters I ordered.

fake /vr/ as it's from garou densetsu battle archives 2
>>
File: IMG_2198.jpg (2 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2198.jpg
2 MB, 4000x3000
the angled shot everyone seem to love
>>
File: IMG_2201.jpg (2 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2201.jpg
2 MB, 4000x3000
and for that guy on previous thread, look at all this space wasted if I don't use angled adapters
>>
File: myroom-new-2.jpg (3 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
myroom-new-2.jpg
3 MB, 4608x3456
My room, another pic
>>
>>2842345
Looks like around 1-2, maybe 3 inches.

For comparison, the back of the plastic tube cover part of my PVM is _6_ inches away from the wall and it doesn't have to sit on the floor. I just move the stand forward a little.

My entire room is pictured here except my bed, which I sat on to take the photo. It's cramped but those 6 inches are okay to lose for me.
(pic in >>2842372 )
>>
>>2842374
>for me.
FOR YOU
>>
>>2842379
Okay, show me why you can't possibly manage a full 5 inches of space between your wall and your monitor.
>>
>>2842372
Nice Model M, kiddo. Is that a silver label?
>>
>>2842382
Silver label, part no. 1386303. The _original_ part number for Model M's. :)

I have the 3161 terminal it came with, too, but it died a couple months ago and I haven't fixed it yet.
>>
File: keyboard1.jpg (4 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
keyboard1.jpg
4 MB, 4608x3456
>>2842382
>>2842385
older close-up pic from when my desk was clean
>>
>>2842395
Because I fucked your mom and you contribute nothing.
>>
>>2842397
>Because I fucked your mom

Fucking kids...
>>
>>2842403
>fucking kids...
exactly.
>>
File: 420706.sony-pvm.jpg (38 KB, 485x455) Image search: [Google]
420706.sony-pvm.jpg
38 KB, 485x455
>>2842379
Speaking of, after years of searching, I finally came across a good PVM. A 20M4U, just an hour away from home, and completely FREE. I didn't want to believe the miracle stories, but apparently it does happen. Going to pick it up Thursday, but I probably won't have any time to hook it up and play until next week. Ah well.
>>
>>2842380
no. I just want to not lose space.
>>
>>2842413
>A 20M4U, just an hour away from home, and completely FREE. I didn't want to believe the miracle stories, but apparently it does happen.
Yeah, they do happen.
Sorry whatever anon it is that gets upset.
>free 20L5

Also, I hope you're going to mod your console instead of waiting for shipping on SCART cables you don't need from the UK.
>>
>>2842372
where's the remote for your bvm?

get a garbage plate yet? rochester staple
>>
>>2842420
>Yeah, they do happen.
>Sorry whatever anon it is that gets upset.
Not him, but it did take me like, three fucking years, and I only happened to notice the listing within 20 minutes of it being posted. Seller told me I was the first of a flood of emails asking about it. So really, I just got lucky. This is a great deal, but really I wish I had just paid 300 bucks for one three years ago. I had basically just given up and was only looking for one on a whim.

>Also, I hope you're going to mod your console instead of waiting for shipping on SCART cables you don't need from the UK.
I'm not great at soldering and don't really wanna deal with it. Probably just going to buy the cables. I saw your posts in the last thread. Why are you on a crusade about this.

I might consider it, but I'd need a nice, in-depth guide, and probably some more practice soldering. I'm bretty gud with drilling holes, though.
>>
>>2842270

This thread is proof that /vr/ shouldn't exist.
>>
File: controls1.jpg (2 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
controls1.jpg
2 MB, 4608x3456
>>2842425
That's a PVM-20L5, not a BVM, so it doesn't require a remote, though there are ports for them on the back panel. The buttons on the newer PVM's (all the L* series AFAICT) are buttons on the sides of the display. A tiny bit irritating to change between component and composite by going into the menus instead of having a dedicated switch like the older model I had, but still really nice. You can disable the light that illuminates the buttons, to hide them while in use.

Quickly used GIMP to make the controls brighter in this pic, so you can kind of see them. That big square at the top right turns the lights off.

And yeah, I've had one.
>>
>>2842420
>free 20l5 person is also the militant console modder

How did I fucking know. You are obnoxious no matter what you're doing.
>>
File: snes to bnc 4mb.jpg (3 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
snes to bnc 4mb.jpg
3 MB, 4608x3456
>>2842432
pussyyyy.
:p

Sorry. When i got my PVM though, I wanted to try it out badly enough that I added jacks to my SNES myself, because fuck spending $40 and waiting weeks for shipping from the other side of the atlantic.

The AV port is pretty nice and big for soldering. It's through-hole, so it's the easiest kind. I'd recommend trying something on a prototyping board before doing it on your system, just enough that you know what to do if you make a solder bridge or something. Even if you don't know what exactly to do, you can get away with smacking it off the board while it's still in liquid form, or (preferably) using soldering wick to pull excess off.

You can get good wires by stripping cat5 cable. I posted pics last thread of how to add RCA jacks for RGB to the SNES and the genesis. The genesis is easier to pull RGB off of but requires an IC to get a good sync signal out of it. The 74LS08 and 74HC08 are available at places like radio shack if you still have one open near you, or for much cheaper online (not from the UK, though, so you could get it in 1 to 3 days on digikey).

SNES diagram:
>>2841521

Genesis diagram:
>>2841507

You can get RCA to BNC adapters locally where I am from a hobby shop or the place that replaced the radio shack here (also a hobby shop of sorts).

alternately, I once ran out of BNC adapters and until I was able to go out and buy another I used probes from my multimeter to connect to the BNC jack in question.

...Anyway, if you don't want to do that (which I'll accept very grudgingly), you can at least try out s-video in the meantime if you have the right cable. I did, and maybe you do too, IDK. I think the 20M4U has a S-video connector.

>>2842448
maybe you knew because I've said it before, and shown pictures of my consoles with RCA jacks while talking about my PVM?
>>
File: genesis soldering.jpg (2 MB, 3420x2592) Image search: [Google]
genesis soldering.jpg
2 MB, 3420x2592
>>2842473
bigger version of the pic of genesis soldering
>>
>>2842473
>pussyyyy.
>:p
>>2842448 is right, you are obnoxious.
But thanks for the info. I assume I can buy RCA out jacks at a radio shack? Maybe? Last time I went there for actual electrical parts, I was sorely disappointed.
>>
File: genesis-csync-rca.jpg (1 MB, 4608x2364) Image search: [Google]
genesis-csync-rca.jpg
1 MB, 4608x2364
>>2842514
Yeah, they have a disappointing selection but last time I went they still sold solderable female RCA jacks. From what I'm seeing they don't sell ones that aren't gold plated anymore (at least, not on their website), but they do sell gold plated panel mount phono (RCA) jacks, which are what you want, possibly sans the gold plating, though the only thing gold will hurt is your wallet.

I've been stealing jacks from a dead A/V receiver for a while now (it's a goldmine for them), but the radioshack ones work better and are actually meant for this kind of work. It means you don't have to hot glue the jacks down like I do, because they have a tether and nut to hold them in place.
>>
>>2842514
I said 'pussy' because last thread that was the term I used for people who were too worried about messing up to even try a console mod. You are highly unlikely to ruin anything by soldering to the base of the AV connector, though.

Sorry for calling you a pussy, in any case. I hope you do try it eventually on some console.
>>
Are virtual console n64 games actually rendered in 480p? Or is it just linedoubled?
>>
>>2842626
Rendered at actual 480p, judging by sight. Much sharper than actual n64 output
>>
>>2842491
>>2842529
Why did you use hot glue? I can tell you're not confident in your soldering. You'll get better though anon, don't worry.

Ganbatte!
>>
>>2842345
Ayyy, I love those 90° angle bncs. Get to save some space and preserve my cables without jaming my 14l5 against the wall
>>
>>2841597
Well I thought it was some sort of monitor as it was cube shaped and had handles on the top
>>
File: modglue.jpg (3 MB, 4392x3456) Image search: [Google]
modglue.jpg
3 MB, 4392x3456
>>2842702
>Why did you use hot glue? I can tell you're not confident in your soldering.
>I can tell you're not confident in your soldering.

I've added headphone jacks to GBA SP's using surface mount. I am quite confident, thank you very much.

You're wrong.
If I weren't confident in my soldering I'd have smeared glue all over the actual genesis PCB like Drakon. I did this >>2842491 .

No, I used hot glue for two reasons:
1) Most importantly, these are not panel mount RCA jacks. They are harvested from an AV receiver. They do not have tethers or any other way to secure to the shell of the console. Pic related. Hot glue fastens it to the case. The little IC next to the RCA jacks would be floating and could certainly short to the RF shield if left unchecked. the hot glue holds it in place. The wires all had to stay together to avoid spreading out and covering up the cartridge slot when closing up the console, so I put some hot glue on the wires there.

2) The shielding on the genesis gets very close to the case and I was not sure if I could put it all back together without shorting the top shielding to the RCA jacks. The hot glue also acted as a buffer zone in case that were to occur. See pic. It's very little clearance.

Stop making assumptions that I don't know what I'm doing, just because one asshole jizzes all over his PCB's when he does mods.
>>
>>2842746
Take a pic. I may be wrong.
>>
>>2842413
>>2842420
Fuck the both of you.

Fuck you with a roll of quarters.
>>
>>2842529
>though the only thing gold will hurt is your wallet.
Anything from Radio Shack will hurt your wallet. Sure, they're nice for convenience, but only that.

It's a shame 6 of that RCA 8 block are sitting unused in that sync stripper. Need to think of something else I can use that case for.
>>
>>2842702
>>2842529
>>2842891
Note that on my SNES, where I actually had clearance to work in, I used only the minimum hot glue necessary to secure the jacks.

>>2842904
That's not a sync stripper. It's just a 74LS08 (AND gate TTL logic chip). The RGB encoder of the genesis fades to black if there's too much draw on the TTL sync line, so I connected it through an AND gate to 'buffer' the signal. I do not even touch composite video as a source of a sync signal here, I go straight to the source.

See >>2841507. Can't re-post the diagram until the old thread 404's.
>>
File: note the lack of hot glue.jpg (4 MB, 4295x5201) Image search: [Google]
note the lack of hot glue.jpg
4 MB, 4295x5201
>>2842910
forgot pic
>>
>>2842904
True. But now that it's gold, it hurts even more!
>>
File: 102_1365.jpg (1 MB, 3280x2460) Image search: [Google]
102_1365.jpg
1 MB, 3280x2460
>>2842910
I was speaking on something of my own, that happens to some stuff from Radio Shack. You've already explained what you did more than thoroughly.

Thinking about it now, I might just grab my dremel and see if I can cut the panel down., maybe move it into a smaller container.
>>
>>2842939
YPbPr to RGB or RGB to YPbPr come to mind since you have six jacks and the used ones already provide sync.
>>
File: rgb to ypbpr 2.jpg (43 KB, 640x432) Image search: [Google]
rgb to ypbpr 2.jpg
43 KB, 640x432
>>2842942
forgot a schematic.

The BA7230LS is still findable on ebay. I'm not sure if it's meant to drive a TV, but since someone made this circuit and claims it works, I think your odds of success are high.
>>
>>2842948
To clarify, I think in this circuit the transistors on the outputs are being used to amplify them so they can be used to drive a TV.
>>
File: DSC01500s.jpg (4 MB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
DSC01500s.jpg
4 MB, 5472x3648
>>2842942
>>2842948
That's actually one of the things I had in mind when I ended up having so many unused connectors. Certainly have more than enough room in there. I believe the
>Ace
Pretty sure I saw the thread for that; Might have to check it out.

RGB to YUV, that is; Don't have a need to put together a YPbPr to RGB one at this point. The KD-CTCA3 I bought a week or so ago seems to work wonderfully from what little I've used it.
Not retro, again. Might bring the Wii up there later.
>>
>>2842534
bro, you remind me of me. Do you mind me asking your age? I know you're in college, and I'm out of college so we're probably like ten years apart, but let's talk mods. Shoot me an email itsthatguyonvr at gmail
>>
File: 52771-Silent_Hill_(E)-1.jpg (48 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
52771-Silent_Hill_(E)-1.jpg
48 KB, 640x640
I'm about to to play the first Silent Hill on a PS2 slim because my friend wanted his PSone back. Thing is, I wasn't really into CRTs, Hz, resolution and all that stuff back when I played it on my friend's PSone, I just played it on a CRT but didn't really gave a fuck bout how it looked.

So now I'm playing it on the PS2 through a CRT and I'm feeling some differences.

When you're outside, the objects far from you show up differently than how I remember, I can notice the exact moment when the object pops up, I remember this didn't happened on the PSone, on the PSone the objects really felt like they were appearing progressively because of the fog, maybe it's just me.

I'm also noticing that it's running on 240p when I'm on the gameplay, but it switches to 480i when I go to the inventory. Does this also happen when you play it on a PSone? can someone pls check, I'd appreciate it.
>>
>free 20l5 person is also the militant console modder

haha this is so good
>>
File: Panorama Cotton.webm (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Panorama Cotton.webm
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>
>>2843018
>When you're outside, the objects far from you show up differently than how I remember, I can notice the exact moment when the object pops up, I remember this didn't happened on the PSone, on the PSone the objects really felt like they were appearing progressively because of the fog, maybe it's just me.
Possibly something having to do with texture filtering?

>but it switches to 480i when I go to the inventory. Does this also happen when you play it on a PSone?
Based solely upon the number of times I've seen it mentioned when talking about upscalers, I'm going to say yes.
>>
>>2843018

I think that might be a PS2 upscaling issue. Might be how the PS2 is emulating things. Certainly correct me if I'm wrong but that doesn't sound like a CRT issue as much as a processor issue.
>>
> Have 17" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 87TXM
> Have no room to set it up to be used solely for Dreamcast games
> It sits abandoned in the corner as a result

I like CRT threads because they remind me what it's like
>>
I have a BVM-20F1U and it doesnt support 480p, but has 900 tv lines, and does 525lines at 60hz interlaced.

I also have a BVM-1911 which had 900 tv lines and does 525lines at 60hz interlaced.

My question is why would the BVM-1911 support 480p but the BVM-20F1U doesnt? Also the BVM-1911 is older. It doesnt make sense...
>>
>>2842391
How did you get that terminal keyboard to work on pc?
>>
>>2843341
swapped in a PC compatible model M controller board
>>
So, are flat screen Trinitrons any good? Not WEGA's but just regualr old Trinitrons
>>
>>2842438
>>2843282
toplel autists

>>2842448
>>2843031
I know, I kinda wish he'd take every second thread off.

>>2843283
>why would the BVM-1911 support 480p
err, it doesn't.
>BVM-1911 which had 900 tv lines and does 525lines at 60hz **interlaced**
That's total lines in the modeline, is it? Cos That set won't handle 480p for goddamn sure as mustard.

Did you get the key cut, btw?
>>
>>2843483
>That's total lines in the modeline, is it?
It might just be that it'll sync higher than NTSC (15.7KhZ) and more like an arcade monitor (16.2kHz). My BVM-2010P will, where my PVM-2043 will only go to about 16.1kHz.

I'm still convinced they won't go near 480p though.
>>
File: BNC_connector_50_ohm_male[1].jpg (236 KB, 1446x1172) Image search: [Google]
BNC_connector_50_ohm_male[1].jpg
236 KB, 1446x1172
Someone crash course me on BNC? I have the same monitor as >>2843207 and I have never used that connector before.

If I wanted to feed a component signal from my PS2 into the monitor I would just need component to BNC adapters, right?

I don't own a TV right now, so if I want to play PS1/PS2 games on actual hardware I have to run them through a component cable to the capture card on my PC, and that adds latency and doesn't look too great on my LED monitors.
>>
>>2843495
on pc monitors bnc is just another way to connect, you still need to feed it compatible signal (RGBHV).
>>
>>2843512

Ok, I found the 87TXM listed in a compatibility list for the PS2 Linux Kit, which means it supports sync on green, so I should be able to throw component to BNC adapters together and hook the PS2 up to it.

All I would need would be three RCA female to BNC male adapters, preferably ones that aren't ridiculously expensive.

Cool.
>>
>>2843520
it won't work with games
>>
>>2843523

Why not?
>>
>>2843526
because linux kit enables vga mode.
games don't
>>
>>2843523
>>2843526

It will work with games, that person doesn't know what they are talking about
>>
File: man_thinking.jpg (54 KB, 613x574) Image search: [Google]
man_thinking.jpg
54 KB, 613x574
a lil off-topic

does anyone know what's the average framerate of Half-Life for the PS2? does it reach 60fps or is it locked at 30?
>>
File: howarddjs.jpg (80 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
howarddjs.jpg
80 KB, 600x450
>>2842270
Using your pic as my wallpaper atm, nicely done!
>>
>>2842372
Holy shit, is that RIT?
>>
>>2843610
don't have it but 60 fps is highly unlikely
>>
>>2843718
Aw gee thanks. I took it with my galaxy s6 edge in a well lit room too, free hand.

I need to get a nice camera.
>>
>>2843725
That's what I thought, he said he's in Rochester. I haven't been in their dorms in a few years though.
Are you in Rochester too? I know there's a few of us.
>>
>>2843732
I'm a 2nd year at RIT. I'm planning on bringing some retro consoles to EGS tonight.
>>
>>2843819
I'm not in EGS (takes too much time) and don't remember when it meets. Also my only TV weighs 70 lbs... I have a famicom and super famicom though.
>>
>>2843819
>>2843880
Get a fucking room, rump rangers.
>>
>>2843942
>contributing nothing to thread while bitching about other people not contributing to the thread
>>
Anyone else here have a WEGA? It's my only CRT but I have nowhere to set it up, and any fixtures they sell at like Wal-Mart are made for flat panel tv's, so they're too small for it.
Any tips for my hundred lb beast?
>>
>>2844002
Put it on a dresser.
>>
>>2843545
It'll work with some games; Specifically ones that support progressive scan.
Again, so long as it supports S-o-G and that you can manage to get it to boot into 480p mode blindly. You need to make sure it's in RGB color mode, otherwise the picture will come out as only green if at all.
>>
>>2843483
Ive seen on reddit, as well as 2 other unnamed( i dont remember their names) forums, that people have put the BVM1911 in a list of of 480p compatible monitors thats why I wasnt understanding why they would if the 20f1u handles the same perimeters.

Also I found a guy who actually has a few keys so i bought 2 but they somehow must have got lost in the mail I called and the company is trying to figure it out.
>>
>>2843483
Would it be possible that is supports 480p at 30hz? I dont quite understand the whole thing to be honest. Fields vs frames, Ive looked into for about 30 minutes last night.
>>
File: IMG_0409.jpg (4 MB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0409.jpg
4 MB, 3888x2592
Taking some pics of my good 14L5
>>
File: IMG_0406.jpg (2 MB, 2916x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0406.jpg
2 MB, 2916x1944
>>2844028
better grid pattern, im totally fine not adjusting convergence on this one.
>>
>>2844031
>>2844028

any requests for games while im on?
>>
>>2843960
>contributing nothing to the thread while bitching about other people not contributing to the thread while bitching about other people not contributing to the thread
>>
>>2844002
How big? 32 inches? 36? Might want to hit up craigslists. A lot of those had stands that originally came with them. Might get lucky and find one by itself. Otherwise, yeah, it's getting hard to find any TV stands deep/sturdy enough to handle a big CRT anymore. Might want to specifically look for corner stands, since they tend to be bigger than the ones that are just supposed to sit flush against a wall.
>>
>>2843731
What monitor?
>>
>>2844040
touché.

>>2844031
I'd agree, that one looks very nice. No convergence necessary. Unless near the corners the blue kind of bleeds off to the side like my 20L5 did.
>>
File: Robuttnik.webm (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Robuttnik.webm
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>2844018
Two fields make up a single frame. While the TV is refreshing at (approximately) 60hz, the video feed itself is going at ~30fps, as it needs 2 refreshes to make up a single frame of video.This is why cutting the resolution in half (getting a full frame into each field) allows you to get 60fps in 240p.
While halving the refresh rate would hypothetically give you enough time to draw an entire fullsized frame per pass, the circuitry inside the monitor is most certainly not setup to do such a thing and the strobing effect you'd get from such a low refresh rate would be absolutely nauseating.

tl;dr
No
>>
>>2844153

actually thats what mine does, this was taken from the bottom middle, but in the bottom right and the top left you get the sliiiiightest bleed of blue, but its no where near enough to bother me.

waiting for a day my dad will be free to help me adjust the other one that bleeds green and blue everywhere
>>
>>2844053
BVM-D20F1U
>>
File: small-convergence.jpg (215 KB, 922x691) Image search: [Google]
small-convergence.jpg
215 KB, 922x691
>>2844190
I should clarify it wasn't actually the corners on mine. It was the entire left hand side of the screen.

It has since been fixed by me. I had to adjust the yoke to get it good.

Your dad work with CRT's or something? Or are you 12? (if you are 12, you're underage and enjoy your ban)
>>
>>2844206
I'm 21 but my dad's an electrician and I don't have a hueg mirror to put in front so i can see how well the grid is being fixed.
>>
File: T-Rex.jpg (105 KB, 696x328) Image search: [Google]
T-Rex.jpg
105 KB, 696x328
>>2844210
Oh, please. You don't need a mirror. Reach in from the front.

Unless you have T-rex arms.
>>
>>2842891
You've used glue to bundle cables together too though, that's completely unnecessary.
>>
File: 20151209_184523_HDR.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151209_184523_HDR.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
HDR makes some pretty intredasting pics
>>
>>2844298
>this is where I keep my CRTs and the body parts of my victims
>>
>>2844159
Okay thanks. I still dont understand why a bunch of different forums and a few posts on reddit claim the BVM-1911 is 480p capable then... Kind of a wasted purchase for me.
>>
>>2844259
Except that if you actually learned to read, you'd read why I bundled the cables with glue in that post. It's so the cables don't stray out over the cartridge slot when I put it together. I got tired of them doing it every single time I closed my console and glued them together.
>>
>>2844346
On top if this why would both an 800 tvl and 900 tvl monitor both have outputs of 525lines at 60hz interlaced. Whats the point of 100 extra lines on the screen if the maximum "resolution" remains the same.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-09-17-08-00-1.png (299 KB, 1440x1980) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-09-17-08-00-1.png
299 KB, 1440x1980
This is the list of monitors that are 480p capable that see pop up on a bunch of forums and reddit threads.

Is the BVM-1911 on there by mistake then? Im waiting on keys to be able to properly check mine.
>>
>>2844339
pretty much. There's another one on the left, a 29" FD. Normally a friend takes it, and hopefuly those 2 will find a new home soon. I might try to redo convergence, they show some blurryness
>>
>>2844346
If you don't want it and will give it free, I'll take it.
:3
>>
>>2844395
A for effort. Haha
>>
>>2844389
Check with a DVD player and YPbPr. Even if you don't have YPbPr inputs on your BVM, plug Y into the sync input and if it can sync to it you have 480p capability.

You'll have to set your DVD player to output 480p over component instead of 480i first, though.

>>2844359
'lines' are the horizontally drawn lines, TVL is how many distinct colors can be drawn on any one of those lines.
>>
>>2844409
I'm serious, I want to compare a BVM to my PVM-20L5 but don't want to pay top dollar. I'd buy it cheap too.

Also, try what >>2844413 said. It should let you know if you can use 480p.
>>
>>2844351
Well yeah okay. I'm not particularly bothered, I'd probably just have used something a little tidier like a cable tie or some leccy tape.

I'll withdraw my previous criticism, carry on Anon.
>>
>>2844434
I'd have used cable ties too, but I'm fresh out after trying to fix my horrible cable management behind my monitor.
>>
>>2844413
Without a picture, what will plugging something into the sync input do? Without being able to get into the drawer wouldn't it be better to plug the Y line into the "A" input?

>>2844389
I reckon it's a misprint, yeah. I'd love to find out it's not though, as my set is very similar, but at that age it'd surely have separate inputs for H-Sync and V-Sync if it was also intended for PC use.
>>
>>2844413
I cant access the cabinet drawer yet waiting on a key. The inputs arent setup properly so I cant test anything until I get into the cabinet
>>
>>2844440
I don't have a BVM so I don't know what is in the drawer. What is the 'A' input for?

My PVM-20L5 at least can sync to composite video signals, and the 'Y' connector is essentially a black and white composite signal.

If you have YPbPr input lines, use them.
>>
14l5 convergence anon here

i fucked it up when trying to cut the paint that holds the rings together, now i cant reach to pull back what i believe is the blue ring.
>>
>>2843018

If you're on a crt its definitely your ps2. Not that backwards compatibility has anything to do with it but I read ps2 doesn't have perfect bc.

sH on my ps1 through rgb 240p on my pvmeme does not suffer from that stupid bullshit. This is also why xrgb is dog shit.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-09-17-32-57.png (891 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-09-17-32-57.png
891 KB, 1440x2560
>>2844413
So when it says the monitor has 900 TV lines(resolution at center of picture) what does that mean/correlate to?
>>
Hey /vr/ how do you calibrate your PVM for different consoles with different resolutions ie. 240p nes, 192 sms and 480i ps2?
>>
>>2844483
I adjusted my display based around a true 240p signal. Seems like a pretty neutral choice IMO.
>>
File: tv.png (2 MB, 1683x963) Image search: [Google]
tv.png
2 MB, 1683x963
i fucked it up guys
>>
File: Barney-Stinson[1].png (2 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Barney-Stinson[1].png
2 MB, 1024x768
I think we can all agree plasmas are better for low light, but LCDs are better for games and the CRTs have the truest blacks so if you want a really crisp contrast ratio The CRT's deep-pixel cell structure produces a resolution you just can't match with an LCD.
>>
File: IMG_0426.jpg (3 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0426.jpg
3 MB, 5184x3456
>>2844546
anyway heres a shot of the internals
>>
File: IMG_0435.jpg (3 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0435.jpg
3 MB, 5184x3456
>>2844556
>>2844546

screw you guys who said it was easy, theres so much shit in the way of the rings
>>
>>2844048
It's a 27 inch but since it's widescreen it's 33" wide and maybe 20" deep at 98lbs
>>
>>2844440
You could run 0.7 volts through the red/green/blue jacks with a battery and resistor voltage divider if you really wanted colors on the screen. If the screen fills with whatever color you hooked the battery to, you're good. If your monitor has an OSD you could see if the OSD was still visible, alternatively.
>>2844443

>>2844483
You don't. You find a setting that looks good for all three.
>>
File: 1449638712396[1].jpg (55 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1449638712396[1].jpg
55 KB, 640x480
Here's a question I've thought about from time to time:

What is the upper limit for resolution and image quality on a typical 15khz monitor?

We all know 640x480 is not Standard Definition. That is a range of resolutions, but one of the higher ones is 720x576i@60hz with 16 lines of horizontal blanking.

However, it maybe possible to exceed this with a PC. What will happen when the signal is sent to the monitor? I believe this is related to the pixel clock isn't it? Could one get away with higher frequencies? 800x576? Can one "overclock" a good CRT?

As an aside, I download "SD" rips of old television shows sometimes and they're almost always in 640x480. It's a loss of 8% in resolution right off :/

>sorry for repost
>>
File: 1449639061575[1].jpg (41 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1449639061575[1].jpg
41 KB, 640x480
If you look at the spec sheets for some professional CRTs which are typically used for low resolution gaming they often list impressive capabilities in resolution

Like here: http://www.broadcaststore.com/store/model_detail.cfm?id=665632

>System: 525 lines 60 fields or 625 lines 50 fields interlace

I'm going to guess 25 of those lines are used for blanking. So you could run 800x600i. I used to do this one one of my old Trinitrons and used 720/1080p video as source material. It looked really nice.
>>
>>2844546
were you
>>2844031
?

>>2844556
>>2844559
I said it was impossible to ruin a TV doing it. I also said it took a long time. You DID mark where the rings were before you started, right?

You can't permanently ruin it. It always gets worse before it gets better, but work on it long enough and it will eventually come together. It just takes lots of time. It is not difficult.

Also, I don't see any rings in that first picture. What's it there for?

>>2844550
WHY are plasmas better than CRT's for low light?

>>2844576
I answered this last thread.
>We all know 640x480 is not Standard Definition. That is a range of resolutions, but one of the higher ones is 720x576i@60hz with 16 lines of horizontal blanking.

>However, it maybe possible to exceed this with a PC. What will happen when the signal is sent to the monitor?

If you have a monitor that has 'reduced vertical blanking', yes, it'll work.
>>
File: 20l5-before.jpg (3 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
20l5-before.jpg
3 MB, 4608x3456
>>2844582
>>2844559
>>2844556
>>2844546
P.S.
I also removed the controller board on one side of the CRT temporarily when I did this. Not all the wires came off so I just moved it off to the side while I worked,

Here's what mine looked like before I did anything to it.
>>
>>2844582
I was that guy, but that was my GOOD 14L5. looks like the other thread just died so i cant show the bad 14L5 convergence.

the rings have a white paint strip market to where they originally were. first picture isnt for anything really. the rings are behind the red wire that goes to the tube
>>2844587
im really not comfortable working with HV stuff, i bit the bullet and took it to a repair store, gonna get it back tomorrow.
>>
File: plaz.jpg (140 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
plaz.jpg
140 KB, 960x540
>>2844582
>WHY are plasmas better than CRT's for low light?
It was just a line I overheard while my wife was watching How I Met Your Mother and it starting with that statement immediately perked my ears up since if anything plasma is brighter with better intensity. Maybe the writer was talking about glare?

I recently put up a 60" plasma in the living room for Christmas and not only did the actual glass make it devastatingly heavy to hoist up to the height I'm accustomed, the glare is shocking.
>>
>>2844596
So... you wimped out?

Oh well. I'm just suprised there's still somewhere that services CRT's near you.

The high voltage isn't near the neck, it's under that giant rubber cap on the tube and the flyback transformer it attaches to.
>>
>>2844603
I'd need to hear the complete quote. Did they actually say anything comparing it to CRT's?

And a FYI for you:
In lower light you want contrast turned lower so it doesn't stress your eyes.
>>
>>2844608
Yeah, I agree Plasma is better for situations with more ambient light, other than the glare factor. Basically the entire exchange seemed like total made-up bullshit to the point I had to post it.

The gag is Barney is so frustrated over Ted fucking Robin that he's been smashing old TVs in the alley behind the bar but he smashes all of them so he has to buy more and that's the conversation he has with the guy at the store. He goes with the CRT and then it just cuts right to him smashing it.
>>
>>2844606
Yes, yes I did. Theres a few stores, one literally down the street from me who supposedly repairs CRTs, but when I went there a few months ago they didnt know what i meant by CRT.

So the only lethal part is the actual tube?
I spent hours looking up shit for tutorials or boards for solid material or pictures but wasnt left with much.

supporting a local tv repair store is cool i guess though.
>>
>>2844612
I never SAID plasma was better for more ambient light.

I merely said you want less light in the dark.
>>
File: 1381118760567.jpg (29 KB, 550x412) Image search: [Google]
1381118760567.jpg
29 KB, 550x412
Is there a cheap way to convert VGA to Component (ypbpr 480i) ??

what about RGB?

also I dont' know a shit about SCART,
I'm south american, and all my stuff is NTSC
>>
>>2844613
there are capacitors on the main board that are dangerous, and I wouldn't go poking my fingers where they don't belong, but the yoke runs on waaay less than kilovolts. The flyback transformer the tube's fat red cable goes to is another dangerous part because it's what actually generates the voltage.
>>
>>2844603

>put up a 60" plasma in the living room for Christmas

America <3
>>
>>2844615
VGA is RGB. Just saying.
>>
>>2844617
As an american, my 20L5 is my only TV. That said, 60" plasmas are about as 'Murican as F-150 pickup trucks and cheeseburgers.
>>
>>2844616
Reading shit like that makes me feel ok for sending it to someone else. I'd feel comfortable if there was more documentation on disasembly videos like their are laptops.

as they say hindsight is always 20/20 and looking back i should have just left it since i use that one primarily as a travel tv for 31-45khz games.
>>
>>2844614
...and LCDs put out less light than plasmas, especially in the mid-to-late 2000s. You mad about something bro?
>>
>>2844615
Extron will do it.

Could nigger rig it and just solder the sync too. Really shitty though.
>>2844619
It's really not.
>>
>>2844623
>>2844617
I only paid $199 for it too.
>>
>>2844627
>Extron will do it.
Extron also costs more than a PVM-20L5.
>>
>>2844631
talking about PVM, those shit doesn't exist in south america, I believe.

I just want to play everything on my sony trinitron via component.

Also, most pvm are 14" or dunno 17".
I prefer bigger screens.
>>
>>2844627
>VGA's really not RGB
Oh my god. My sides.

http://www.xess.com/appnotes/vga.pdf

"There are three signals -- red, green, and blue -- that send color information to a VGA monitor. These three signals each drive an electron gun that emits electrons which paint one primary color at a point on the monitor screen. ********Analog levels between 0 (completely dark) and 0.7 V (maximum brightness) on these control lines tell the monitor what intensities of these three primary colors to combine to make the color of a dot (or pixel) on the monitor’s screen.********"
>>
>>2844647
Ignore that, missed the 'i use a trinitron' part.

>>2844640
You believe wrong. Sony sold PVM's worldwide.

>most pvm are 14" or dunno 17".
There are no 17" PVM's I have _EVER_ seen. Most are 14 or 20 inches. There are 25 inch sets out there, and the largest I've ever heard of is a 35 inch PVM.
>>
>>2844627
>It's really not.
Wow you better alert all those guys laboring to get 15khz signals out of VGA ports that they're wasting their time!
>>
>>2844625
Not a part of this conversation, but I think you just read something wrong. He said that plasma was better for low-light. You "agreed" while saying the opposite.
>>
>>2844625
When did I even MENTION LCD's?
>>
File: youshouldntletpoetslietoyou.webm (3 MB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
youshouldntletpoetslietoyou.webm
3 MB, 1000x750
>>2842270
>>
>>2844643

not the other guy but if this is the case why can't you just run a vga->scart to a TV ? is there a difference in scart signal voltage than vga rgb ?
>>
File: 1369322504524.png (148 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1369322504524.png
148 KB, 300x300
thanks Windows vista/7/8/10
thanks HDCP
thanks Nvidia drivers

GPU's tv-out is broken.
>>
>>2844652
>>2844643
Different syncs you underageb& little shits.
>>
File: DSCF6146.jpg (4 MB, 3456x2592) Image search: [Google]
DSCF6146.jpg
4 MB, 3456x2592
>>2844687
A key phrase that will help you. VGA is RGB but RGB is NOT always VGA.

In this case, RGBS or RGsB (connection types required on a PVM/BVM-type display) =/= RGBHV (VGA) since the sync on the latter is split.

Some but not all monitors will however be able to accept VGA either through dedicated H/V Sync ports (I know the NEC XMs have this) or potentially connective Hsync to Csync.
>>
>>2844704
>RGB is only RGB below 30khz
>>
>>2844718
The guy was talking about RGBs and VGA.

Back track harder, child.
>>
>>2844728
"VGA is RGB" was the original statement, and there is still nothing wrong about it.
>>
>>2844663
The problem is that he's reading
>Plasmas are better fow low-light... than CRTs
Which is only half-implied even by the HIMYM quote that I already readily acknowledged was solid nonsense. Then he was too mad to even notice my little PVM monitor in the pic I posted, balanced tastefully with a vintage 80s KVM that you can see a tiny bit of peeking out.

I have a 20" PVM in the basement as well as a CRT projector that can do 1024x768@60khz. If there were such a beast as a 60" 1920x1080 120khz CRT and I had a place to stand and a lever long enough I may have considered it in place of the plasma even though it would have been so deep I wouldn't have anywhere to park my truck.

But in the real world, for a very large display in the ambient light levels of my living room the plasma definitely beats the CRT projector
>>
>>2844679
source?
>>
>>2844740
RGB referring to RGBS is not RGBHV, Same with RGsB.

Sorry kiddo. Maybe try to move the goal posts some more.
>>
>>2844752
>RGB referring to RGBS
>moving the goalposts
>>
>>2844714
You're still not quite right.

All RGB is 'VGA' and all VGA is 'RGB', but not all VGA monitors support 15khz sync rates. H/V sync can be combined to composite sync and composite sync can be split to H/V sync, but VGA monitors usually operate at 31khz for higher vertical resolutions than 15khz TV's and TV-style RGB monitors.
>>
does the NTSC super nintendo "JR." have native S-video Support?

pastebin said nothing about snes JR.
>>
>>2844756
That's what the poster said not me. Try harder or better yet just head on back to /v/.
>>2844757
That's incorrect. HV and composite sync aren't interchangeable.
>>
>>2844774
VGA is not RGsB
VGA is not RGBS

RGsB is RGB
RGBS is RGB
VGA is RGB

Tell me why "VGA is RGB" is wrong. That is the only statement you need to be concerned with. Not "VGA is RGBS", which nobody said.
>>
>>2844784
Read the guy's post.
>>
>>2844792

>>2844619
>VGA is RGB. Just saying.

>>2844627
>It's really not.

What did I miss?
>>
>>2844802
Look farther up the post chain.

If you want to be autistic about it VGA is not RGB, It's RGBHV,
>>
>>2844806
The issue is that saying "VGA is not RGB" is objectively wrong, and that "VGA is RGB" might be misleading in certain contexts, but is objectively correct on its own.
>>
>>2844810
Do you not know what objectively means?
VGA us not RGB. It's RGBHV.
>>
>>2844815
RGB is a broad term that includes a bunch of types of video, including VGA. The sync is implied for whatever context it is used in.

There aren't many times you would use RGB to just refer to color signals without sync.
>>
holy shit what did i start
>>
>>2844827
dunno man, I just wanted to know how to connect wires to my tv
>>
>>2844448
For that BVM:
Line A is a region-specific composite input.
Line B is one of several things; either: A region-specific composite input, RGB, or YPbPr (and the test input which i think is basically composite.)

The Line A/Line B switch is on the front panel, but Line B's function can only be changed from within the drawer.

Thus he can probably use Y on Line A for a B&W image. if it takes 480p that should work.
>>
>>2844820
All video outside of the weird RGBY experiments is RGB.
>>
>>2844771
No it doesn't.
>>
>>2844841
put that in pastebin then.
>>
>>2844838

NTSC signals are luma and chroma. They don't have individual RGB channels.
>>
>>2844846
Do you not know how TVs display an image? They only use 3 colors.

All video is RGB.
>>
>>2844848
in light, all color together are white.

so black and white TV are, color TV's too.
>>
>>2844462
TVL or T V Lines, is the horizontal resolution (clarity). When you look closely at the screen when displaying an image, you can see it's made up of tiny vertical stripes. for a BVM there's at least three stripes making up one pixel. The higher the TVL, the more stripes, the higher the clarity. This is aperture grill, but masks are similar.

TVL is not signal format. 240p/480i/480p/1080i/720p/1080p are, properly, all signal formats. With LCD's being fixed-pixel, resolution is often used to mean the same thing now.
>>
>>2844856
We are talking about colors TVs.

All color TVs from ancient CRTs to modern HDMI and display port are RGB.
>>
>>2844651
Sony did sell PVM's worldwide, and there are certainly 17" broadcast tubes out there, though not from Sony.
>>
>>2842372
Hey ladies wanna Netflix and chill on my salvation army TV?
>>
>>2844862
>>2844848
>>2844838

On the display side, mostly yes. As far as signals go, it's not valuable information to say that all video is RGB. If a signal carries red green and blue separately, go ahead and call it RGB.

If we want to get REALLY silly, we could say that all video has no components because of focus and interference, creating complete natural colors depending on the distance that it is viewed at.
>>
>>2844774
They aren't interchangeable. they ARE convertable, as I said, you fucking dipshit.
>>
>>2844815
>VGA us not RGB. It's RGBHV.

What does 'RGB' use to sync, then?
If you answer csync, I will counter that that's actually RGB+Csync, not RGB, by your logic.
>>
>>2844868
Two problems with that.

1. The TV came from a PBS station, not a salvation army

2. I don't have and don't want netflix. I pirate my movies and TV shows because I can get them in higher quality that way.
>>
>>2844570
>run 0.7 volts through the red/green/blue jacks with a battery and resistor voltage divider if you really wanted colors on the screen
How will that help him test for 480p compatibility though?
>>
>>2844014

Pretty much every game supports progressive scan with GSM (the freeware .elf version of the Xploder HDTV player).

The hard part would just be memorizing the buttons required to turn it on.
>>
>>2844862
Black and white TV's are not RGB at any point in the process, and only contain one electron gun and white phosphors.

>all video is RGB
No, because not all video uses the RGB color space. All TV's convert internally to RGB at some point, but TV is not broadcast over RGB, it was sent in theYIQ color space in older times and in YUV digitally now.
>>
Holy shit, did the collective IQ of everyone in CRT threads drop by 40 points between the last thread and this one?
>>
>>2844580
>System: 525 lines 60 fields or 625 lines 50 fields interlace
Why only 25 lines? Most of the time it's way more, isn't it? You can squeze things down, but messing with the size and position of the sync pulse has definite limits.

And that "x"x600i resolution will be at 25i, so might flicker a bit. For video content that might be ok.

I'd love to see the results of this though. Let us know how you get on?
>>
>>2844858
Thanks for the explanation makes much more sense now.
>>
File: 102_2270.jpg (1 MB, 3280x2460) Image search: [Google]
102_2270.jpg
1 MB, 3280x2460
>>2844893
Support for a great number of games is hit or miss, and results vary wildly.
>>
>>2844893
>>2844917
>blindly navigate to get 480p
This is what I do with my PS2. But a lot of games that I've tried will give a smaller image near the bottom center of the screen instead of filling the screen. Not sure what that's all about.
>>
>>2844927
I'm lucky that the Megaview supports 15 and 31+ ranges, but having two syncs feeding into it at once (during game loading) does make it freak out. Thinking about it, running it through my transcoder would probably make things a lot simpler in that regard.
If your setup allows, you could have the composite lead connected to a standard TV so you can see what you're doing in the menus and then have it come up on your 31+ monitor.

You also have to remember that some games switch out of progressive scan mode for their videos or has them really off center for whatever reason.
PS2's 480p+ support is a complete pile of shit even with homebrew helping it out.
>>
>>2843478
for the price, I think so. I got a 19" for $5 and a 24" for free. Colors are bright and the screens are straighter than cheaper counterparts.
>>
>>2843478
>>2844943
Besides geometry being horrible? yes.
>>
File: IMG_20151209_201804526.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151209_201804526.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1440
>>2844959
While they are more likely to have geometry issues, not every last one does.
Many are at least decent, and can be got for incredibly cheap.
>>
>>2844982
All flat CRT's will have at least some geometry issues. Some more than others, but all have them.
>>
File: DSC01734s.jpg (4 MB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
DSC01734s.jpg
4 MB, 5472x3648
>>2844993
And that's why I said "decent". While flat models should be noted as having more problems with geometry than not flats, they shouldn't be ruled out as a possible good set. You should check the picture quality of ANY CRT you may be thinking about getting, that doesn't change with the flats.
>>
>>2845001
You said 'not every last one does [have geometry issues]', so I stated that every last one does. Apart from geometry issues they can be good, but they still have geometry issues.
>>
>>2845004
That's what the decent was meant to imply, but I suppose the improper wording on that is a failure on my part.
>>
>>2844887
Jesus now I know you're autistic if you don't know what "Netflix and chill" means.
>>
>>2842372
Why is Kirby eerily floating above your SNES?
>>
>>2845064
Looks like a naked SGB.
>>
>>2844887
That was one hell of an autistic response to that
>>
>>2845065
I was going to disagree and say that there would be PCB visible, but upon opening mine up again, that would probably explain it.
More than likely, a SGB2 and done to avoid cutting the tabs.

Considering they also have a SuFami, I'm guessing the SNES is a 1CHIP and they're making use of the better cart in the "better" system?

Do the SuFami and SNES share the same mounting arrangement for the cart throat? If so, you could always swap them.
>>
>>2844904

>And that "x"x600i resolution will be at 25i,

Did you mean at 50hz?
>>
>>2845106
well, 50 fields
>>
>>2845087
No, an original SGB I'd been using on my super famicom earlier. Gonna get a SGB 2 eventually.
>>
>>2845040
sex, but I'm allowed to give autistic responses.
>>
>>2845087
>>2845164
Also, the SNES is a 1CHIP by pure luck. The super famicom is an older model, and while I could swap out the PCB's I want to add some RCA jacks to the SFC first.
>>
File: DSC01751c.jpg (2 MB, 3648x3648) Image search: [Google]
DSC01751c.jpg
2 MB, 3648x3648
>>2845164
You better leave the SGB2's clothes on when you do get it.

That blue shell is just so nice.

What could have been.jpg
>>
>>2845164
>>2845174

Is the SGB2 any different functionally?
>>
>>2845180
It has a link cable port for linked game functionality, and the clock speed was fixed to be more accurate to the Game Boy consoles.

No, it doesn't have any additional functionality, it will not play Color exclusive games. That image is just meme bait.
>>
>>2844629
noice.
>>
>>2845186

I guess I'll just keep using my regular old one until I stop being lazy and backlight mod a gameboy
>>
File: DSC01759s.jpg (4 MB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
DSC01759s.jpg
4 MB, 5472x3648
>>2845186
>meme bait.
Read the spoiler, it wasn't bait.
If the SGB2 actually supported GBC, it'd make that combo the perfect match. Sadly it doesn't, but the combination still looks wonderful.
>>
>>2845174
My copy of crystal suddenly developed this problem where I have to wedge something roughly the size of a credit card between it and any game console I try to play it on for it to load properly. I've scrubbed it raw trying to fix it, to no avail.

Any ideas from anyone? this was my Pokemon game so I'm very attached to it.
>>
>>2845186
does it use the 'mini' style link port? or full-size original game boy style?

I'd mainly be getting it for the clock speed and looking nice in the super famicom, but I want to know if my link cable will work with it.
>>
>>2845174
Nice pic. Nothing will ever convince me the SNES mini isn't even uglier than the original U.S. SNES though. I know it's all a matter of opinion, but it just looks so... bland.
>>
>>2845261
my first* pokemon game.
>>
>>2844889
Ahhhhhh, you meant alongside the sync, didn't you. That took me a while to figure out. I still reckon using the A input would be easier.
>>
>>2845261
You could try opening the cartridge and putting something under the PCB itself, like electrical tape or something similar.
>>
>>2845301
tried that, it works but looks absolutely hideous because the case is translucent.

Was hoping for a better solution but I may have to live with it.
>>
File: DSC01767s.jpg (4 MB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
DSC01767s.jpg
4 MB, 5472x3648
>>2845267
I won't disagree with you on it looking bland, but at the time I originally bought it, my main Genesis was a Model 3, so they sort of went together. It was also the easiest/safest way to get my hands on a 1CHIP.

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on an "original" SNES with a 1CHIP to use as well, so I could keep the Mini paired off with the 3. That is to say, I don't mind the looks of the US SNES.

>>2845263
I haven't had a grey brick for god knows how many years, but here's a GBC for comparison.

>>2845306
Given the GB line all use single sided edge connectors, you really don't get as much help from the cart slot in holding it against the contacts
Perhaps a small bit of clear plastic held in place with a clear adhesive, so as to blend in better? Anything to wedge the connector against the contacts a bit better.
>>
>>2845301
>>2845306
>>2845308
nevermind, tape isn't working I was pushing down on the cart from the top in my SP and it worked.
>>
>>2845310
update: thinking maybe some component on the PCB is somehow loose, because it works if I stick electrical tape in a wad behind the back right corner of the PCB. Gonna solder that back down next time I get a chance, but it's currently working.
>>
File: linkport.jpg (3 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
linkport.jpg
3 MB, 4608x3456
>>2845308
Ah, so it's the 'mini' kind.
The GBA and GBA SP use the same size link port but with that notch on the bottom.

Here, I've got a gray brick for you.
>>
File: 20151210_103304.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151210_103304.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
I love how easy it is to adjust convergence on bvm
>>
>>2844903
No, it's just that asshole with the 20L5
>>
>>2845390
>MRW the guy who posted the IQ comment and this one is the 20L5 'asshole'
>>
>>2845390
I think the guy with the 20L5, while annoying, is at least intelligent enough not to claim that VGA's really not RGB.
>>
Which one is better Sony KV-27FS320 or KV-36FV310? I read the FV310 has a high voltage regulator, does the FS320 not have that?
>>
>>2845698
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FD_Trinitron/WEGA

310 is a little better, but both are prettymuch identical with a good source (of course other than the size difference). Check the picture out yourself, or grab the one that has the size you want.
>>
>>2845792
I'm just wondering if the high voltage regulator really makes a big difference. I read this onlin: "What this means is that bright scenes, lines, or text will not cause distortion of the image. I have yet to find any other consumer set with this feature."
>>
>>2845698
Biggest difference will be the size. 36 inches is fucking huge. I mean, if you want it, have room for it, and are willing to hire a team of Guatemalans to lug it into your home, that's up to you.

I really liked my 32 inch when I had it as my primary TV, though. It worked well for the size of my room and how far away I sat. Base your decision on that as well.
>>
>>2845698
KV-36FV310:
Pros:
* 36" screen diagonal is effin' huge (too big IMO, but I've never played 240p on a consumer CRT that big so I don't know how bad it'll be).
* is a 480i CRT so it won't try to do scaling on 240p
* 2 YPbPr inputs

Cons:
* 228 lbs (!)
* 235 watts consumption every hour
* Flat tubes suck for geometry
* this geometry problem is even more noticeable on larger sets
* Personally, I think 36" is too big.

KV-27FS320:
Pros:
* 27" is smaller and more weildly than 36".
* I can personally attest to 27" being a very nice size, though I wouldn't trade my 20" PVM for it ever. I love it for playing Smash Bros. (N64 and the newer ones) and for sitting far away, though.
* 104 lbs, less than half of the weight of the 36"
* 2 YPbPr inputs (same as other)

Cons:
* flat tubes suck for geometry (both are flat)
* 180 watts every hour is still pretty bad. Better, but not good.

>>2845792
I don't see a single thing on that table that makes me think the '310 is a little better' besides that it's fucking massive.
>>
>>2845803
this 'high voltage regulator' thing just sounds similar to scan velocity modulation. Most newer tubes do something like it. It's not important, it's almost definitely just a marketing term.

Take the 27". 36" is waaay too big.
>>
File: home-theater-11.jpg (16 KB, 400x449) Image search: [Google]
home-theater-11.jpg
16 KB, 400x449
So I don't know much about CRTs except for the basics like no input lag and such. I plan on making a game room out of the spare bedroom one of these days but I just haven't yet. Anyways I had a friend of a friend getting rid of a 40 inch Sony trinitron. Looks like the pic without the stand. So I took it off of him and it's sitting in my garage for now. So was this a good idea cause I have no idea if these are any good.
>>
File: 1449367590099.jpg (30 KB, 481x527) Image search: [Google]
1449367590099.jpg
30 KB, 481x527
>ff7 is too dark in RGB mode
>universal remote doesn't work
>android apps get me into menu but cant change anything
>>
>>2845876
>sony
>trinitron
sounds like it'd be good
>>
File: lttp-2.jpg (4 MB, 3724x2952) Image search: [Google]
lttp-2.jpg
4 MB, 3724x2952
>>2845892
>people still think only trinitrons can be good
>>
>>2845876

If it's a flatscreen, you might have to adjust the geometry. Google probably has a good guide for it.
>>
>>2845928
well, it's among the best consumer sets, so chances are high it'd be at least decent.

sure it's no pvm or bvm, but eh.
I guess if it's in the US you might be lacking RGB inputs though.
>>
>>2845947
The monitor I took that pic of (the zelda one) was neither a Sony monitor nor a trinitron/aperture grille. It's a broadcast monitor though, so yeah it has RGB. It's using a shadow mask though.

People assume trinitron = the only option for good quality and it's not true. I've got both.
>>
>>2845957
>>2845928
Sony is the only consumer TV SD CRT I know of outside of some random NEC/Mitsubishi sets that made it to the market that has bloom control and more advance service menu.

That's not to say all Sony have that stuff but the higher end ones do.
>>
>>2845876
40'' FD Trinitron makes me think it's the XBR800, which is an HDCRT and not something you'd want for retro games.
>>
>>2845963
I have a Toshiba consumer set that is quite definitely a shadow mask and has bloom control, plus a very nice service menu.
Model 27A42, if you wonder. 27 inches and YPbPr inputs (480i/240p only though).

The broadcast monitor I linked to was a Panasonic BT-H1390YN.
>>
>>2845971
That set does not have bloom control.

I'm not talking about the color settings if you're confusing that.
>>
>>2845973
I'm talking about when a very bright color is such a high energy that it 'blossoms' and overlaps with other regions that aren't supposed to be that color nearby.
>>
>>2845882
>android apps
What are you playing on?

>>2845928
>>2845957
Did he say that? Where in his post did he imply that "only trinitrons can be good"? You have terrible reading comprehension. The implication here is that a good TV is not always a Trinitron, but Trinitrons are almost always good. I myself had a JVC for a number of years and actually liked it more than my friend's Trinitron, but I wouldn't just take any old CRT without doing some research, but a Trinitron is a very safe bet.
>>
>>2845985
Bloom for a CRT is poor horizontal size control. When you go from a black screen to a white screen for example the horizontal size will increase on nearly all consumer CRTs.
>>
>>2845792
>>2845837

Do you guys know if the 320 has a built in subwoofer like the 310 does? Know how I can find out?
>>
>CRTs over 20" are too big!

Why would people opt for smaller screens on purpose? Do you also have a 20" LCD for TV? No matter what kind of TV or monitor I'm looking at, I want the biggest I can get.

It just sounds like a real case of sour grapes to me.
>>
>>2846152
Pretty underageb& huh?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 129

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.