[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CRT THREAD - LEWD EDITION
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 118
File: LEWD.jpg (4 MB, 2250x4000) Image search: [Google]
LEWD.jpg
4 MB, 2250x4000
Previous thread(s) - >>2813221

This thread is for the spirited discussion of CRT displays - Televisions, monitors and projectors used for the playing of retro games!

>Try to keep it /vr/-related: Nothing past 5th gen(+Dreamcast). Slight OT might be okay if related to CRTs (E.G. 16:9 compatible models, flatscreens, etc.) Systems with backwards compatibility are also pretty safe territory, assuming you're focusing on the older games. PC CRTs are also a-ok.
>Produce OC! Get out your real cameras and take beautiful pictures of your CRTs displaying recognizable characters with the kind of beautiful accuracy that brings tears to the eyes of young and old alike! If you take 100 photos, at least one of them will turn out alright! (maybe)
>Try to be as detailed as possible when asking info on a specific model. As always, google is your friend, and we are your friends with benefits. Older archived threads aren't a bad place to look either.
>Share appreciation for others choice of technology and personal philosophy of gaming. As always show courtesy in your discussion and moderate yourselves first.

Discussion of video processing and scaling devices is okay, but try to keep the focus on CRTs and CRT accessories

CRT Pastebin (WIP): http://pastebin.com/1Ri5TS3x
S-Video Pasta: http://pastebin.com/rH2h6C7W
Thread Survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1PhdXJYwA8xModrTV1Yt-i1tvNgwiagpeBx0m_xNIVtc/viewform?edit_requested=true&fbzx=9009823977812318933
>>
File: snek.jpg (3 MB, 4000x2250) Image search: [Google]
snek.jpg
3 MB, 4000x2250
>>2828308
i really need to get a decent camera, my s6 edge isn't cutting it
>>
>>2828218
>Are all PVM/BVMs capable of taking a component signal as well as RGB?

older PVMs often don't do component
most PVMs do though.

BVMs all do, afaik
>>
pantsu > nopan
>>
>>2828308
I really wish we could just have one thread about all gaming displays. This board is supposed to be for games but these days half of it is shit fights over monitors. If you're not going to take it to /g/ where it should be, at least keep it to one thread.
>>
>>2828336

No
>>
>>2828345
I know you won't because everyone here gets all butthurt if someone isn't playing on the kind of monitor they prefer, but these threads are flooding out ones that are actually about games and shouldn't be on this board at all.
>>
>>2828350
>a single topic general that gets made maybe 1-2 times a week is flooding out other threads
>isn't actually about games

No
>>
>>2828350
There's always been a crt thread on vr.

There's never more than the current one and the old one about to be pruned.

It's typically civil in here. The other trolling threads are just that.
>>
Anyone know how you find the operating hour timer on a PVM-20L5?
>>
>>2828443

iirc you need the remote but someone feel free to correct me
>>
This is to the Anon from the last thread that stated he'd possibly help me out if I ran into issues with aquiring a working key for the drawer of a bvm/pvm.

I called the locksmith the past few days finally answered today, and he has stated he wouldnt be able to make a key based on the photograph, he is the only locksmith I know of in the area unfortunately so I dont know where else to go.
>>
File: lewd.png (16 KB, 250x332) Image search: [Google]
lewd.png
16 KB, 250x332
>>2828308
LEWD
E
W
D
>>
>>2828536

He could probably drill out the lock and then replace it with something he does have a key for
>>
>>2828548
True, I was able to contact another locksmith about a town over, and he said he might be able to help. So ill be going there tomorrow.
>>
>>2828548
And I was hoping to keep the orginial lock for the sake of being universal say I was to get another one if that didnt have a key for some reason or another.
>>
>>2828542
This has been shopped. I can tell by some of the pixels.
>>
File: DSC01487s.jpg (4 MB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
DSC01487s.jpg
4 MB, 5472x3648
>>2828319
>>2828218
There are lower end PVMs that won't do either, leaving you with composite and maybe s-video.

BVMs are dependent on what option cards are installed, but cards that support RGB are almost always going to support YPbPr along the same lines.

I'd usually ask this in the repair thread, but there doesn't seem to be one up at the moment:

Anyone know why I'd be getting buzzing on just the left channel of the Sega Genesis when pulling from an AV panel connection, but not off the headphone jack? Pic related to clarify what I mean.

By buzzing, I don't mean along with the audio, I mean JUST buzzing.

I've already checked for shorts to ground or power, but there just doesn't seem to be anything there. It could be from the incredibly cheap SCART cable I'm using, which I did have to open up in order to add resistors to, but I won't be able to test that theory for a few days. Finally decided to order one from retro_console_accessories.
>>
File: IMG_1865.jpg (2 MB, 1848x1367) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1865.jpg
2 MB, 1848x1367
Nes composite -> PVM ->ikegami
Using the cheapest RCA cables I own. Slot mask sure looks terrible up close
>>
>>2828660
*Shadow mask
>>
File: genesismod2-4mb.jpg (2 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
genesismod2-4mb.jpg
2 MB, 4608x3456
>>2828630
I opted for RCA jacks instead of mini-DIN. What did you use for composite sync?
>>
File: mask.png (217 KB, 724x362) Image search: [Google]
mask.png
217 KB, 724x362
>>2828664
Not the guy you replied to. but there is a variant of shadow mask called slot mask. You're correct to say that his is not one, though technically a shadow mask can be a slot mask. I'm going to call it a 'dot mask' for lack of a good term.
>>
>>2828669
I didn't feel like ordering RCA connectors (plan to at some point though)or cut holes in the case, so I opted to kill one of my terrible Model 2s and steal its mini din.

As of right now, everything is just jumped off of the bottom of the original AV connector.
Just pulling regular composite video for sync to keep compatibility with the various RF cables I have laying around(as well as this cable). Thinking about it now though, I may end up having to tear all that glue off when the new cable gets here and connect up the sync line; Something I meant to do but the whole audio problem made me forget about.

Is the Model 1 seriously so power hungry that it actually needs both of those 7805s?

>>2828673
>I'm going to call it a 'dot mask' for lack of a good term.
Tri-dot?
>>
>>2828673
>I'm going to call it a 'dot mask' for lack of a good term.
I personally referred these as delta mask, as these dots and electron guns are in a triangle formation and I think I have read something CRT related which also used the same term.
>>
File: genny.jpg (3 MB, 3499x2466) Image search: [Google]
genny.jpg
3 MB, 3499x2466
>>2828683
I stole RCA connectors from a dead AV receiver. It's a gold mine for them!

I actually think it might be that power-hungry. I believe you might be able to get away with switching regulator replacements, because they both (as I understand it) power different parts of the board.

The Genesis has two discrete CPU's (the 68000 and Z80) so I wouldn't be too shocked if the second regulator is just for the 68000 (the more powerful of the two CPU's). I don't even KNOW what those two sega SMD chips do, but I bet at least one of them's a power hogging graphics processor.

I had to remove the bottom RF shield piece until I get a chance to dremel away a small section of it, in order to pass the wires up and around the PCB. Hoping just the top RF shield part will be enough to dissipate that heat for now.

I'm the guy who showed that pic near the end of last thread of the 'buffer' sync method. If you can get the other method working, that'd be awesome, but I had no luck and my PVM syncs to my signal from the buffer just fine. I recommend it. (see: >>2827402 and >>2827391 )

>>2828691
Sounds like a better term to me. I think I read the same thing.
>>
>>2828630
>I'd usually ask this in the repair thread, but there doesn't seem to be one up at the moment
Is there usually one? Seems to me that repair could be covered in the CRT general. Otherwise it would just be people wanking over scanlines and such.

Speaking of which... Found a guy selling a PVM-20L5, but he says it's got an "issue". Apparently the image bobs up and down quickly after being turned on, but occasionally slows and even stops over time. Any idea what this issue is? The guy used it for gaming himself, so he presumably tried all of the menu settings, but you never know. I'd like to low-ball him on it if it's an easy fix.
>>
File: mr.meme.jpg (34 KB, 505x479) Image search: [Google]
mr.meme.jpg
34 KB, 505x479
>>2828356
this. It's pretty tame in the retro display thread...Dont get why all the shit
>>2828336
not saying you're shit posting. I think a one display thread might work maybe.
>>
>>2828683
model 1 68k is HMOS and pretty power hungry.
>>
>>2828696
A unified hardware thread, for both displays and consoles alike would be neat, and the activity of the CRT Thread would help to keep them alive (it's rare for them to hit 100 posts let alone 200 before they fall off) but at that point you'd have to worry about stepping on each others' toes.

>>2828695
The cable I bought is one of the raw "boosted" sync ones, so it should already have a buffer in the cable.

Shit, I just realized something. That's going to need the 5v pin, and I snipped that pretty short to keep it from getting bridge over to blue; I'm either going to have a whole heap of fun getting that connected, need to order a replacement minidin, or butcher my other shitty Model 2.
>>
>>2828554
Sounds good. I srsly can't believe you called the guy in your town first though. And after that that you didn't just tell him you understand it might not work but you'll pay him to give it a crack.

I have a 3-week-old baby and a job, and I'd prefer not to have to send you keys :)
>>
>>2828319
Some older BVM's don't take component and don't have option cards. That'd be the 2000AP and back.

Pretty much anything newer will have come with the RGB/Component card, but that doesn't n it hasn't died or n removed before you get there.
>>
>>2828729
>need to order a replacement minidin
i ordered some once, they weren't compatable with the genesis cables, very strange.

they were advertised as being sega genesis 9pin minidins...

so be careful. i got them from surplus sales of nebraska, online. they just told me to keep them and refunded my money.
>>
>>2828810
Doing research it would appear that the mega drive/genesis model 2 uses standard 9 pin mini-DIN. I only have a model 1 and can't confirm this. Still, I bet you got a proprietary connector from some other system.
>>
>>2828804
Don't think you can easily remove the rgb/yuv card in a bvm. They're hard-wired unlike the optional sdi cards.

Certainly can't in my 20F1E and 20G1E.
>>
File: svideo.jpg (158 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
svideo.jpg
158 KB, 640x480
Why does this TV say S-Video on it when it doesn't have S-Video input?
>>
Does anyone use their CRT not just for retro gaming, but for watching TV shows and movies as well?
>>
>>2829091
Not currently but planing on using to watch old vhs tapes. Possibly earlier dvds as well. Trying to find a decent VCR atm.
>>
>>2829091
Before my 27HS420 started being finicky, it was my main TV, so it was being used for TV as well as new gen consoles.
>>
>>2829091

Well I kind of collect anime VHS tapes
>>
>>2829091
Yes.
I connected my 14" Trinitron via VGASCART as secondary monitor (to my PC) to watch that stuff, as well using it for viewing text and documents with (resolution) limitations.
I'm using InterFrame (AviSynth script) to double the framerate on the fly but it only works if isn't wider than ~750 pixels which isn't a real issue for me.
It's much better than the (dated) 21" SXGA TFT monitor which I use as primary monitor, except for the resolution.
>>
>>2829091
I used to watch video tapes on my CRT, but I started watching them on my computer monitor instead when I got a TV tuner card.
>>
Managed to locate the model number of the drawer key.

For anyone who cares: 4-378-901-01

Unfortunately its no longer for sale through any of sonys regular suppliers. Not to mention they wanted around $50 for one key.
>>
>>2829146

Considering it's to a several thousand dollar professional monitor $50 for a key sounds about right
>>
>>2829068
1 plastic mold, then holes are drilled if the model needs it.
>>
I found out that calibrating the geometry of one display mode of a CRT monitor (besides being like playing with a Rubik's cube in itself) tends to fuck up the geometry of other previously calibrated modes. WTF is this, a joke?
>>
>>2829202
No, it's physics of electrons and magnetic fields in vacuums.

It's possible to get nearly everything right, except geometry will never be 100% perfect. The curvature of a CRT is meant to minimize the issue this presents. Get it good enough and you won't notice it anymore.
>>
>>2829234
Misread that, ignore that post.

Different signals can appear at different locations on the screen and behave differently. Geometry is not set on an input-specific level on most TV's. Get it looking good on one and it will look 'close enough' on others.
>>
>>2829234
>>2829239
It's a monitor, not a TV set. What I mean is that calibrating the geometry (mainly horizontal/vertical size/position, pincushion etc.) of a certain mode (i.e. resolution/refresh rate combination) seems to have adverse effects on the calibration of other modes previously calibrated (such as calibrate 1024x768@85Hz, then calibrate a few other resolutions, then switch again to 1024x768@85Hz only to find out it is somewhat misaligned again, but differently than it was to begin with).

Is the amount of calibrated modes that a monitor can remember limited (and significanlty lower than the total number of modes it supports) and does it cycle them if it runs out?

Also, how does it remember calibration settings anyway? Don't tell me there's a little piece of NVRAM that's backed up by a battery buried somewhere deep within the monitor that will run out eventually and make the monitor forget everything and decalibrate totally once unplugged from power.
>>
>>2829156
Yeah the price that way doesnt seem bad but its cheap lock and only ever one key was made that im aware. So it was mass produced making the $50 price a definite money grab.
>>
>>2829119
>VGASCART
Is there something that would do the opposite? I.e. that would allow to connect a cable that goes into a SCART port into a VGA port instead? Example: use a SNES Multiout/SCART cable, and then use /thing/ to connect that to a monitor's VGA input.
>>
>>2829269
every accessory and spare in the professional equipement world is a money grab.
>>
File: IMG_4731.jpg (1 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4731.jpg
1 MB, 4608x3456
>>2829091
Yeah, I watch TV and movies on mine.

>>2829116
I collect anime laser discs myself. Also a couple that never were re-released or released on laser disc I have on VHS (the original Yu-Gi-Oh! series from Toei for example).

And Han shot first.
>>
What are my options for s-video in and under 16"
>>
>>2829281
Most 14 inch PVM's.
Also most consumer CRT's made after around 1996. Some before then too.

And the commodore monitors with Y/C input, though you'll need a s-video breakout adapter for it.
>>
>>2829269
Why not just break the lock? I'm not sure what this goes to, but if it's just a drawer on a monitor for accessing trimmers, why not?
>>
>>2829286
(alternatively, on toolboxes I've had luck picking locks before. Might want to give that a go! I've even done it with paperclips.)
>>
>>2829283
14" tvs with svideo are gonna be pretty damn rare. You're gonna have better luck with 20" and above.
>>
>>2829280
laserdiscs are cool but I almost never see them in the wild. VHS I can just go to any thrift store or flea market and find stuff like Macross Plus The Movie, Cyber City Oedo, Demon City Shinjuku, etc for like $1
>>
>>2829286
>>2829289
I could easily cut the bit of metal that the retaining bar is being held by therefore letting the drawer completely open but im trying to avoid damage (id like to use the lock for its intended purpose) and i could try picking it although im no lockpick by any means.
>>
>>2829116
This is some hipster weeb shit right here.
>>
File: qt.jpg (35 KB, 535x346) Image search: [Google]
qt.jpg
35 KB, 535x346
>>2829367
>complaining about hipsters and weebs in a crt general on a retro video game board on a chinese cartoon website
>>
>>2828356
There's always been murder so I guess it's ok now right? Retard...
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (60 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
60 KB, 1280x720
>>2829367
Maybe they just enjoy the artwork on the covers. You rarely have neat stuff like this going on media formats after VHS anymore.
>>
>>2829384

The aesthetic is kind of appealing as well. Like how some people prefer composite
>>
>>2828443
Only BVMs have timers. My 14L5 doesn't have one, even in the service menu.
>>
>>2829370
Not complaining. Just noting. He can like whatever he wants.
>>
File: Xl6axXS.jpg (439 KB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
Xl6axXS.jpg
439 KB, 3000x2000
>ill never own an msx monitor

Feels bad
>>
>>2829453
Why not, anon? Surely it will happen if you believe in your dreams...
>>
>>2829458

Well technically I could, but I don't feel like spending several thousand dollars on 30 year old used monitor
>>
>>2829091
I use an 8" PVM for PS3. It's awesome.

>>2828887
Didn't know that. I realise those cards tend to come as stock, but thought they could be removed.
>>
>>2829462
And why is this particular monitor so pricey? Besides the fact that it's clearly a handsome piece of machinery.
>>
>>2829091
I watch anime on my 37" monitor sometimes. The letterboxing on wide screen content is a convenient place for subtitles.
>>
File: xW0Rj16.jpg (684 KB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
xW0Rj16.jpg
684 KB, 3000x2000
>>2829474

Scarcity and demand I'd imagine. Probably easier to find if you live in Japan
>>
>>2829091
27" sony trinitron

PS3, netflix and even modern pc games because I like that fucking TV
>>
File: panablack.jpg (36 KB, 1044x625) Image search: [Google]
panablack.jpg
36 KB, 1044x625
>>2829091
I've been using a 21" Panasonic Panablack I found at my mom's house because my TV died and I don't have the budget to buy a new one. Works pretty good for playing SNES and watching news from time to time.

Picture related, it's the only one I found on google.
>>
>>2828071

I just stumbled on another source of PVM's in Brissie. Probably some 9" stuff. The owner of the place is going to get back to me and i'll probably be able to post some details.
>>
How good is the brand "Advent"? A friend of mine has one laying around, and wondered how good the brand is.
>>
File: group1half.jpg (2 MB, 4608x864) Image search: [Google]
group1half.jpg
2 MB, 4608x864
>>2829091
I went full crt, 3 trini monitors, and a widescreen Wega hooked up to the HDDVR. Cartoon network looks pretty nice at 1080i over component.

The PVM and Wega both came from the local goodwill, and the PC monitors off local craigslist. Always be vigilant crt hunters!
>>
>>2829303
I had never lockpicked before I tried it with two paperclips and I got a craftsman toolbox unlocked. It's doable, just takes time and a lot of poking around.

>>2829848
Plus one for the Model M keyboard plus ten for the PVM, minus several thousand for the widescreen WEGA.
>>
>>2829967
>minus several thousand for the widescreen WEGA.
Not him, but those 1080i trinitron sets are pretty great for HD video
>>
>>2829969
My PVM-20L5's better
>>
>>2829969
Then why has he got a 480i N64 attached to it? Hmm?
>>
>>2829970
Did you get it... for free?
>>
File: genny1.jpg (2 MB, 3499x2466) Image search: [Google]
genny1.jpg
2 MB, 3499x2466
>>2829972
Since you asked, yes I did. Volunteered at a PBS station a few times and got it free when I asked the station engineer about CRT's.

That makes a few threads in a row now, sorry again other anon.
>>
>>2829971
>Then why has he got a 480i N64 attached to it? Hmm?
I didn't notice, but my point still stands. And n64 is not 480i.

>>2829970
The L5 is smaller. Especially for wide screen.
>>
>>2829974
>smaller
...but better. And it doesn't upscale EVERYTHING to 1080i.

The N64 can do 240p AND 480i. It has modes for both. Same with the SNES though very little on the SNES ever used 480i.
>>
>>2829974
but the N64 is most definitely not 1080i, so my point stands.
>>
File: 20151202_033348.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151202_033348.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
>>
File: fixed.jpg (1 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
fixed.jpg
1 MB, 1836x3264
>>2829985
Fixed it for you, jackass.

Do it yourself next time.
>>
File: 20151202_033700.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151202_033700.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>
>>2829992
I don't know how that happened
>>
File: fixed.jpg (2 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
fixed.jpg
2 MB, 1836x3264
>>2829993
FUCK YOOOUUU
>>
>>2829997
It's called a rotation EXIF tag and it's something 4chan removes when posting because it's cancer. The fix is to do it right the first time by posting it from a computer after checking rotation with software and rotating it or using a tool like jpegtran.
>>
>>2829998
What the fucking fuck
>>
>>2830000
Oh my god, quads guys!

>>2830001
fuck.

>>2829998
>>2829993
>>2829992
>>2829985
Nice shadow mask btw. If it weren't sideways I'd like it.
>>
You guys wanna hate me even more? We'll get ready!
>>
>>2830004
Thanks dude
>>
>>2830006
*well
Could your use of a cell phone be any more clear than you've already made it with your shit posting and bad pics?
>>
>>2830009
Nope not all
>>
>>2830013
*not at all
>>
>>2830014
I told you
>>
File: 20151202_034943.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151202_034943.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>
Alright I'm done haha
>>
File: IMG_0951.jpg (977 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0951.jpg
977 KB, 1920x1080
>>2829967
>>2829969
It's a fantastic set, kv-34xbr960. Cream of the crop for consumer model CRTs. Highest resolution it can support is 1440x1080i, as with all HD CRTs it cannot into 240p, and is best suited to 6th gen and higher games. Currently it's only hooked up to the HDDVR and the PS3, both through component at 1080i. All my SD consoles would connect to the pvm-2030 in the corner.

N64 is a hold-out from my old tv, a kv-32fs120.

>>2829970
The L5 is definitely better than the 2030 for retro, but for HD content I'd prefer the bigger screen of the wega
>>
>>2829479
They're easy to find, but surprisingly expensive, even here.
>>
>>2829091
yeah, i probably use it more for that than games. i have a little 9" next to my main pc with with an old laptop hooked up to it through s-video. i disabled the laptop's screen and tucked it away on a shelf, and just share my main pc's mouse and keyboard with it via synergy. i mostly use it for watching 4:3 content like old anime or tv shows, but also for streams and youtube sometimes as well.
>>
File: Photo0025.jpg (312 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Photo0025.jpg
312 KB, 1600x1200
Decided to whip out my SNES and see what it looks like on my CRT.
Ended up playing a bit of Super Mario World was a lot of fun but then this happened out of nowhere.
>>
>>2829848
>PVM from goodwill
What the fuck? I feel like these things just fall into everyone's lap, while I've been hunting for years to find a good one, close by, at a decent price.
>>
>>2829479
It's you!
>>
>>2830202
>at a decent price

They're cheaper than a not-shit LCD monitor
>>
so I'm playing ffvii on my ps2, but 50hz is a pain.
i have GSM for my ps2 as it's softmodded, but when i force NTSC or PAL60 , the game gets squashed into a small 16:9 ration, even when the ps2 is set to 4:3 or fullscreen

any workaround ?

i tried just playing it with POPstarter but it doesnt work, and I don't have a slim to do swaptrick to play a burnt ntsc copy
>>
>>2830064
What kind of shelves for the vinyl?
>>
File: oaxaca.jpg (8 KB, 258x195) Image search: [Google]
oaxaca.jpg
8 KB, 258x195
>>2829367
get out
>>
>>2830319
Decent 20" ones rarely come up for less than $300, and that's usually nowhere near me. Everyone seems to talk like these things are just lying around in abundance, but everyone I try to buy from acts like they're selling the ark of the covenant. I end up walking away, and they don't care, because some other retro-hipster-faggot always ends up overpaying and justifying these assholes and their price gouging. I probably could have had one by now if I was okay with overpaying, but I'm not, especially when I'm usually looking at buying from across the country.

How much did everyone else pay? I always hear number below $100 being bragged about, but I have never, in my years of searching on craigslist or ebay, seen one go for anywhere near that cheap. It's extremely annoying.
>>
Asking again, since I got no answer in the last thread. Possibly going to look at a PVM-20L5 that suffers from the image rapidly bobbing up and down after being powered on. It eventually slows, and occasionally stops, according to the seller. Any idea what might be causing that? Is it an easy fix?
>>
>>2829273
A linedoubler (15khz to 31khz) is that what you're looking for.
Finding one that does nothing but double the lines without scaling might be difficult, building one does require to know exactly how video works as well how to use phase locked loops and some special (sequential) memory chips and good video ADCs and DACs.
>>
Why are 75 ohm BNC angle adapters so rare or expensive. Can only find 50 ohm ones
>>
>>2829973

hey thanks for that test pattern dvd anon, it was super helpfull.
>>
>>2830332
got a 14L5 for 80 off craigslist. the guy was asking 250. just look for eqipment resellers and wharehouses. avoid ebay, prices are too high and i havent seen any in these threads that made it through shipping without damage.
>>
I keep seeing Sony PVM monitors that run on 120 Volt, is that standard?
Or do they come with a power supply in Europe because I obviously can't plug 'em in the 230 volt outlets in my house.
>>
>>2830507
Where do you live? I have come across some decent deals on 14 inchers, but I know from past experience that I would eventually yearn for 20.
>>
Well I was able to find someone who had the actual keys in stock, and purchased 2 of them so I should have them in about 3 days or so.

Also learned that the key in universal across brands as well, Ikegamis etc. all used the same lock.
>>
>>2829280
>star wars laserdiscs
Interesting.
Were those discs minted before George Lucas started molesting the fuck out of his IP?

It might be worth getting a copy of the original trilogy for archival if they are.
Oh but wait, do LDs have region encoding/locks?
>>
>>2829068
There was an option for that TV for SVIDEO and probably a whole slew of other inputs. Usually if you take apart a model like that the reference sheet will point out all the possible inputs.

Sometimes it's as easy as just soldering on a new jack, but in most cases you'll find that an entire subsection of the board was left blank with empty holes for various components.
>>
>>2830343
Did he fuck with the v-hold setting?
>>
>>2830572
Not sure. I will obviously check this. I did some googling and found some other people on various boards complaining about the same issue. All were answered with "just buy an LCD), so the problems were never really solved. Might possibly be some loose solder or something, but the fact that the jumping stops after it warms up makes me think it may be something else. Dunno.
>>
>>2830562
The tapes before the special edition and the laser discs are the only unaltered versions. There is the GOUT DVD release but that is just a poor transfer of the laser disc anyway. I'm not sure if there were minor changes between the theatrical release and the home release. If there is it is nothing as big as the special edition changes. I just watched Harmy's despecialized edition recently. Pretty good.
>>
>>2830606
>If there is it is nothing as big as the special edition changes
Thank Christ for that. I dunno what version my room-mate downloaded, but I had to get up and leave the room when the big alien musical number started in RotJ.

Gonna be expensive sourcing a PAL/NTSC player in Australia but it'll be worth it to have the original trilogy in the highest quality.
Hopefully I can find a theatrical release of Blade Runner too because my non-director's cut VHS rip looks like shit.
>>
>>2830623
Check out Harmy's despecialized edition sometime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHfLX_TMduY
>>
>>2830516
some are fixed to 120 or 230v
some have a switch to select between, like on some PC power supplies
some are entirely automatic and will accept anything.
>>
>>2830634
That actually looks pretty damn good.
Thanks for the heads up, and for the other LD info.
>>
>>2830507
how the hell do you talk someone down from 250 to 80 on craigslist?
>>
>>2830837
They must have really wanted to get rid of the thing, I guess.
>>
>>2830837

git gud
>>
>>2830837
Crack addictions.
>>
>>2830837
Probably depends more on the seller. Some sellers take the tactic of asking a really high price on the off chance that some person comes along and takes it, when in their mind they are planning to sell for much less. On the other hand there are the "I know what it's worth" sellers who truly believe in their pricing.
>>
>>2830837
make offer and end with "have fun sitting on that cube"
>>
Meme monitor knowledge at non-meme prices!
>>
>>2830892

A lot of collectors are fine with just moving stuff for what they paid for it
>>
>>2830892
Please tell me you got this?
>>
>>2830908

I already have a 14L5 and 14MU, plus a 9" Ikegami Pro monitor. No space!

If anyone needs one, though, set up Craigslist alerts with IFTTT.com. I had this one in my inbox an hour after it was posted.
>>
>>2830837
I got a blue n64 and a handful of meh games for $35 they were asking $80. Just low ball and sometimes they take it.
>>
>>2830892
>I watched laserdisc movies on it
>>
>>2831097
What? You don't collect Laser-Disc?
>>
File: mark.png (260 KB, 793x469) Image search: [Google]
mark.png
260 KB, 793x469
>>2831107

there's a movie on there heh
>>
>>2829453
I found one on craigslist for $175. Not paying that fucking much... maybe $20.
>>
>>2831246
>fingerprints
ew
>>
>>2831273

He's a rich german drug dealer living in Utah in the 80s he doesn't give a fuck
>>
File: IMG_20151202_200114550[1].jpg (3 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151202_200114550[1].jpg
3 MB, 2340x4160
Hey, /CRT/, what's in the box?
>>
>>2831325

electronic material
>>
>>2831325
Stone cold steve austin
>>
>>2831325
A monitor that the delivery service managed to damage or even destroy anyway despite all the warning stickers?
>>
File: IMG_20151202_200320530[1].jpg (3 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151202_200320530[1].jpg
3 MB, 2340x4160
Christ, this thing is big.
>>
File: IMG_20151202_213954725[1].jpg (3 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151202_213954725[1].jpg
3 MB, 2340x4160
Fuck it, here it is. My phone is shit because I spent all my money on CRTs.
>>
dammit, all bnc stuff on ebay is 50 ohm, 75 ohm stuff is expensive as fuck
>>
File: IMG_20151202_215231519[1].jpg (3 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151202_215231519[1].jpg
3 MB, 2340x4160
Family photo. PVM 5041Q, BVM 8045QD, PVM 14L5, BVM D20F1U.
>>
the sewer part of ff7 was so dark i had to switch over to composite mode to see the part where you jump down, everything is WAYYYYYYYYYY brighter when you're not in rgb mode.
>>
File: IMG_20151203_035640.jpg (2 MB, 1486x1859) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151203_035640.jpg
2 MB, 1486x1859
>>
File: 20151202_175946.jpg (4 MB, 1380x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151202_175946.jpg
4 MB, 1380x2322
>>
>>2831351
>>2831361
>>2831371
How many hours and how much moneys?
>>
>>2831363
Why do you want these?
>>
This thread is pure autism.
>>
>>2831531
MODS! They're in my SAFE SPACE.
>>
>>2831449
those text boxs look bad
>>
>>2831371
Could you make that picture blurrier please? I can still kind of make out what I'm supposed to be looking at.
>>
File: some consoles.jpg (4 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
some consoles.jpg
4 MB, 4608x3456
>>2830064
>as with all HD CRTs it cannot into 240p
If you ignore the -L5 CRT's, sure. Good for higher definition content, but sucky for retro video games, the subject of this board. It's still crap for the N64 you have hooked to it. Move it to a better set for it... please. Just use that for blu-rays and the like.
>>2830494
>hey thanks for that test pattern dvd anon, it was super helpfull.
Glad to hear it. If you found it missing something you needed, let me know. I'm always updating that disc.

Got a dead 'junk' super famicom in the mail today, swapped in a new fuse and now it's working good as new. Cost me $6.95.Here's a quick pic of some of my systems now.
>>
File: crash landing.jpg (4 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
crash landing.jpg
4 MB, 4608x3456
>>2831685
And a CRT pic!
>>
>>2830562
Pictured is a VHS tape of star wars, sadly. I don't have the laser discs for it. But yes, they were before Lucas molested them.

Also, some group scanned and released a 35mm scan of the Empire Strikes Back in 1080p on a few torrent sites a while back. Called the 'grindhouse' release I believe. They're doing the original Star Wars next.
>>
>>2831685
The N64 isn't hooked up to it. And L5s can handle 1080i, but what's the point? It's only a 20-inch screen, and the viewable size for widescreen content is even smaller. Now, if you had a BVM-D32E1WU, I'd be impressed
>>
CRT threads are so autistic.

Not that I'm complaining.
>>
File: only 20 inches.jpg (70 KB, 618x499) Image search: [Google]
only 20 inches.jpg
70 KB, 618x499
>>2831712
>only 20 inches
>what's the point?
It looks fucking amazing, that's the point. I wouldn't expect you to know since you don't have one.
>>
>>2831712
>>2831721
Should mention also that based on the photos of your rooms from the other thread, you don't really have space for the 5 or 6 CRT's you had. A smaller one would do you good. And sitting that close to such a large screen isn't really ideal.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 2448x2448
>>
>>2831742
rotate it right you faggot.

Also
>image.jpg
>expecting iOS to just work
>>
>>2831745
it shows fine on my phone, fuck it.
>>
>>2831750
Great. The world at large disagrees though.
>>
How do you fix rotation on a phone?
When I post in /b/ I don't have a problem.
>>
File: crt-moe.jpg (199 KB, 705x1000) Image search: [Google]
crt-moe.jpg
199 KB, 705x1000
>>
>>2831629
you look bad, anon
>>
>>2831246
Thiiiis is a laserdisc!
>>
>>2832003
>I was a longtime CRT fanatic
>watched this show as it was airing
>this this dude
>>
Do the advantages of a CRT (great black levels, accurate color reproduction, very fast response time) go to shit over time?

I received a CRT which upon closer inspection has relatively poor black (not as poor as an LCD but nowhere near what is should be, gotta set brightness very low for black to resemble actual black, and very dark tones become indistinguishable then), the colors are very slightly (but noticably once you find out) greeninsly-tinted, and green color smears (i.e. fast motion results in greeninsh trails visible on dark background, and generally motion blur otherwise).

I wonder whether there's even a point in using this monitor given that all the supposed CRT advantages are non-existent. It's a 22 inch and the power usage is easily triple of what a similarly sized LCD would use, with even worse black, but no smearing and no tint (given it's a modern and not an ancient LCD monitor). The CRT was very cheap, but still kinda pointless it seems with all the flaws.
>>
>>2832268
Yes, CRTs do wear out. Some were also just poorly built in the first place. Those trails you're talking about are usually called "ghosting" and are a common symptom of a tired tube. You can't judge the entire format based on one bad apple.
>>
File: Callie Head Bobble.webm (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Callie Head Bobble.webm
3 MB, 1920x1080
Not /vr/
>>
>>2832281
Thanks. I didn't mean to say that CRTs were crap in general, I kinda know what their strengths are, but the specimen I picked up unfortunately seems to be a disappointment. Thus, I wanted to clarify if these flaws are to be expected to set in over time.

While the poor black can kinda be worked around a bit by going to RGB settings and pushing the brightness of each individual color up a bit (the black level stays the same, while white level and contrast improves somewhat) and the very slight greenish flair (mostly apparent with greys which aren't really neutral grey but a little bit greenish) probably can be alleviated by reducing green a tiny bit in RGB settings, I have no clue if and how the smearing/trailing/ghosting/however-you-call-it could be improved upon. Curiously it's mostly also green color that leaves the trails and as such causes motion blur and inhibits smoothness of animation (which CRTs are normally very good at afaik).

Btw it's a Gateway VX1120 (which is a Gateway-branded Mitsubishi 2060u as far as I could tell). Is there anything that could be done to alleviate the flaws (especially the trailing/smearing)?
>>
>>2832281
>tfw I get ghosting on some of my monitors
W-well of course a white sprite on a black background is going to ghost to an extent. Doesn't mean my tube is dying does it?! ;-;
>>
>>2830934
>set up Craigslist alerts with IFTTT.com
I was going to do this until I realized that I check CL for CRTs more often than I check my email. But thanks for the link
>>
File: 13247461664_aeb6551059_b.jpg (168 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
13247461664_aeb6551059_b.jpg
168 KB, 1024x768
So what's an affordable, good gaming CRT TV/monitor?
>>
>>2832351
cute :3
>>
>>2832351

Depends on what your resources are. Most people on say, ebay tend to know what they have and shipping heavy items is expensive.

Try looking for something with local pickup within reasonable distance
>>
>>2832351
any trinitron with at least s-video.
If you're in yurop, answer becomes "any trinitron."
assuming no obvious default of course.
>>
>>2832362
Careful. Don't want to accidentally get a 100Hz TV.
>>
I was wondering, are there any specific PVM monitors to look out for?
Cause I found a couple in my area that I can check out but obviously there isn't much choice, I was already glad to find a PVM at all with all the inputs like RGB and Component.

Honestly, they are quite rare and 20 bucks is no pain for a PVM 1351q, right?
>>
File: 1448669265114.jpg (3 MB, 3317x2569) Image search: [Google]
1448669265114.jpg
3 MB, 3317x2569
>>2832362
>any trinitron
>implying shadow masks are inherently bad and cannot be decent

I have a sony PVM and this little thing and I like the shadow mask more.
>>
>>2832397
I would definitely pick up a PVM-1351q for $20.

It's only 450 TVL, but it's still a very nice monitor with RGB and YPbPr inputs. Well worth the money, though don't expect obscenely wide black space between lines. I prefer thicker video lines anyway, so that'll look great I bet.
S
>>
>>2832331
Crank down your contrast. White should not bloom like you're describing. Use SMPTE color bars.

I'll post my test DVD with them again. There are guides to calibrating CRT's with color bars all over the internet. Be sure you use a guide for CRT's and not for LCD's.
>>
>>2832416
I had shadow masks all my life. Only recently I got a trini (after getting another shadow mask), and I can't get back on shadow mask.
>>
File: lttp-bt-h1390yn-big.jpg (2 MB, 1732x1420) Image search: [Google]
lttp-bt-h1390yn-big.jpg
2 MB, 1732x1420
>>2832416
Did you SEE how good >>2832447 looked!?
Most shadow masks are 'meh'. There are broadcast quality shadow masks that look fantastic though.
Have another example.
>>
File: 20l5-bth1390yn.jpg (4 MB, 4032x1416) Image search: [Google]
20l5-bth1390yn.jpg
4 MB, 4032x1416
>>2832470
Comparison to my PVM-20L5 (same 1CHIP SNES used in both pics, but the 20L5 pic was taken later in the game so I have a different shield and gloves).

Not going to say I don't like my PVM, but I prefer my shadow mask Panasonic BT-H1390YN. Also, those and the JVC BM-1400pn that is the exact same set with a different branding are much cheaper than PVM's.

I don't have a 14 inch PVM to compare it to, though. Sorry.
>>
>>2832470
Yes I've seen it, in previous thread also. I've also experienced numerous PC shadow masks, which look a lot like those shadow mask video monitors. I would still rather have ap grille.
>>
>>2832323
Bump. Any way to revigorate a much-used (apparently) tube?
>>
>>2832541
You can't improve phosphor fade times besides by using a different CRT with different phosphor kinds. the trailing isn't a real big problem. The extra dark phosphors used on some PC tubes appear closer to black when unlit but have longer fade times.

Assuming this is a PC CRT just because I never notice it on TV's with SMPTE C phosphors.

If you have a tube that's way too dim, you can use a vacuum tube rejuvenator but it will shorten the life of the tube.

This 'greenish tint' is something that I have noticed on my CPD-100SF sony PC monitor and is another issue with the black looking phosphors in the tube. SMPTE-C phosphors are way better for color accuracy but look grayer in ambient light than they do black. You can somewhat fix the green tint in software with a color profile for your monitor and calibration software.
>>
>>2832541
I still am not sure what makes you say it's much-used. Take a photo of it that shows your problem and I can offer better suggestions than I did here >>2832592 .
>>
Thoughts on 8 inch pvms? I can get two for $100. Is the screen just too small or is it comfy. I'm fine sitting just a few feet away.
>>
>>2832618
Check to see if their models have HR trinitron tubes. I have one of those and it's very sharp looking and ultra-comfy. Put it on a desk and you can do some good 240p on it. If they're not HR then just leave em.
>>
>>2832618
yer, model no.s?
>>
>>2832618
two 8 inchers for $100 is a bit much. I'd love an 8 inch PVM but I wouldn't pay over $20-30 for one used or $50 for one if it was in perfect condition.

I got my PVM's for almost nothing (around $30 total) and they're both 20 inches though, so I may not be the average case. But $100 for two 8 inch ones is far too much.
>>
File: pocket monsters 480p.jpg (2 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
pocket monsters 480p.jpg
2 MB, 4608x3456
>>2832650
$100 for that? I'd get a 14 inch one for a desk at that price because you can find 14 inchers for that much.
>>
>>2832530
>I'd still rather have aperture grille
Care to explain why?

Also, PC CRT's with shadow masks that I've seen are far dimmer than this and less focused. They also have bigger phosphors.
>>
>>2832596
It would be rather difficult to capture the described issues in a photo.

In this thread about the Sony FW900 it says

>Initial Setup Panic? "Image Restore" to the Rescue!
>When you first unpack and power up your monitor, do not worry if black levels and color are way off. Let it warm up for about 30 minutes. After thirty minutes in the powered-on state (don't let the monitor enter "sleep" mode), the "Image Restore" option becomes available under the "Expert" and "sRGB" color settings menu. Set your preferred color temperature in the Expert area and then activate the "Image Restore" option. Your colors should then "pop" into place. Edit: its also good to turn up the monitors Brightness setting before running Image restore, For example I normally run mine at around 25 but before running Image restore Ill turn it up to 50, Then back down after running it. Doing this normally gives the brightness setting a wider range, especially if you're currently having to run the monitor at a low brightness setting to achieve good black levels.

>Green Tinge?
>If you notice a "green tinge" to greys and blacks, do the "Image Restore" procedure above. But first, raise the Brightness setting for your monitor appreciably above where you'd normally like it. Then, do the "Image Restore" operation.

Too bad the 2060u-based monitors don't seem to have an "image restore function". I guess if something can be done, it would be carefully examining the settings in the factory mode menu, as described here:

http://forum.eserviceinfo.com/viewtopic.php?t=2395

Also, much further into the hardforums FW900 thread it is said

>the brightness was lower than it should have been and to compensate meant to lose blacks.

which is pretty much the first issue with my monitor that I described. Maybe the factory mode menu can help to address this somehow.
>>
>>2832793
Didn't include the actual link to the hardforum FW900 thread I quoted, it's

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=952788
>>
>>2832793
The 'image restore' function will do something to the tube settings and without knowing what 'image restore' actually means I cannot comment on how to fix it on an unrelated monitor. This function may even exist as an automatic setting but not under the name 'image restore'.

You should also calibrate this thing properly and not use support threads concerning an unrelated screen in all ways except that they're both CRT's. Different manufacturer means different OSD software and different issues. If you had a FW900 that would be a good thread.
>>
>>2832825
Sure the the monitors are different. I referenced the Sony monitor thread as it is clear from what is said in it that the poor black levels and greenish tinge phenomena are some known issues, and are fixable at least on the Sony monitor, thus might also be on a monitor based on a Mitsubishi tube, albeit in somewhat different ways (which this thread http://forum.eserviceinfo.com/viewtopic.php?t=2395 about the latter's factory mode I mentioned as well also seems to be hinting at).
>>
>>2832829
I have a sony CPD-100sf that I sometimes notice a green tint on. The brightness I eventually got to a good place though.

If I could find results that weren't saying 'check your cable' then I would help more. :(
>>
>>2832770
because I tested both and I like grille better, for reasons inherent to the tech itself.
>>
>>2832903
>reasons inherent to the tech itself
meaning??
I assumed the reasons were inherent to the technology, otherwise there's no reason to choose one over the other. Explain what these reasons are.
>>
>>2832904
go to wikipedia if you need reasons.
I ate +30years of shadow mask. Never had the chance to own a trini nor I di know the tech behind the name. Now I do and I understand all the praise back then.
>>
>>2832908
The reasons on wikipedia aren't present on all CRT's that have compensation circuitry (especially blooming and doming). Your refusal to demonstrate why you dislike ALL shadow masks regardless of the quality of certain specimens is making it clear to me that I can ignore your opinions.

Link to the wikipedia article that shows these issues, if you're too lazy to actually give specific reasons that you yourself dislike shadow masks.

In news, I finally got to gluing down the deflection yoke after fixing convergence on my 20L5 and have the silicone caulk stuff curing now!
>>
>>2833031
Considering you've done (what I'd call) a decent amount of work on the yoke of a PVM, could you point out exactly what one might need to adjust purity?
I did some adjustments on my 20M2MDU for convergence, but I'm hoping I might be able to fix the discoloration in one spot of my 14M2MDU rather than depending an old speaker to bring it back into line.
>>
File: sonic1.jpg (1 MB, 3537x1962) Image search: [Google]
sonic1.jpg
1 MB, 3537x1962
>>2833057
>Considering you've done (what I'd call) a decent amount of work on the yoke of a PVM, could you point out exactly what one might need to adjust purity?
>I did some adjustments on my 20M2MDU for convergence, but I'm hoping I might be able to fix the discoloration in one spot of my 14M2MDU rather than depending an old speaker to bring it back into line.

Sure!

If you haven't loosened the yoke so you can move it yet, be warned it is an EXTREMELY frustrating thing to get back on right. Also note that you have to take off two or 3 metal bands, and don't force anything. Pull the neckboard off (it's socketed, it should pop off like any vacuum tube socket if you've ever used one), and don't let it short to anything metal. next, unscrew and pull off any metal bands clamping things to the tube neck, after marking where they were with a marker or something. If the yoke won't come loose after removing ALL the restraints like the metal bands, put the TV face-down and twist on the yoke while pulling up and it should come unstuck. Don't cut cables like this guy, but do follow the twisting method like he does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdVu02F3wnY

If you need to pull it off, don't apply sideways pressure to the tube neck - it's the most fragile part. It won't blow up in your face if you do break it (probably), but you will be out a CRT and I don't know if you can find a replacement without buying a whole other PVM.

To be continued in next post.
>>
Bah. There was a place not too far from me selling a handful of BVMs for $450. That was too pricey for their age, so I low-balled them. Got declined, but the next day they lowered their prices by 60 bucks. Was hoping to wait them out, but since the price drop, half of them have already been bought up by impatient fuckers. This is why I can never find these fucking things. Still waiting for one at this supposed, mythical, actual value of $100 or so.
>>
>>2833084
If you've gotten the yoke loose you need to move it up and down the length of the neck until you can get a pure image. I sent a pure white RGB signal to my monitor, but only plugged in the red and sync connections so I could see if the red channel was pure. I saw a blue spot in a corner but was able to fix it by pushing the yoke closer to the front of the tube.

Convergence rings are on the back of the yoke and may help more if you can't move the yoke close enough to the front to totally fix it. In fact, I recommend you mark the rings and then try moving them first, before messing with loosening up the yoke, if you can. It is really, really painful to get the yoke secured back in a good position.

If you need more instructions, if I said something unclear (which is probable because I accidentally erased and had to re-type about half of this message), let me know. I can get you photos or anything short of readjusting the yoke again myself. I don't want to do it a second time. -_-

I can open up my monitor and show you pics, though. Also I can try to elaborate or simplify or mark anything on the tube if it helps.
>>
>>2833091
Best to go out and hunt them actively. I get them the best when I go to places I think might be using them that HAVEN'T listed anything. TV studios, engineering companies, software companies (not that there are many in my area), those kinds of things. I find a lot of cool stuff in places like that. Even places with security monitors, though those are more likely to have burn in problems.

Good luck on a BVM, though. I've got a couple PVM's and still want a really nice BVM for the limitless adjustments you can do.
>>
>>2833057
p.s. where on the screen is this spot? if it's in a corner, that was the easiest kind to fix for me, and I just had to move the yoke forward and tilt it inwards towards the side with the discoloration a smidge (a very very little bit).
>>
File: my hand is still shaking, fuck.png (3 KB, 385x332) Image search: [Google]
my hand is still shaking, fuck.png
3 KB, 385x332
>>2833084
>>2833092
>>2833103
Bottom left side, but not quite in the corner.

I went up to take a photo of the spot, but it seems another problem the monitor has (miswired RGB lines or something to that effect) prevents you from getting a proper colored picture. Had to use composite video as external sync just for the screen to stop flying all over the place.

I WOULD have still come back with something, but the damn thing decided it wanted to zap me while I was trying different orders of having the cables connected. The smell of burnt hair put me off the idea of even leaving it plugged in any longer.
Didn't even touch anything outside of the input panel, so now I'm worried about even connecting anything up to the damn thing.

This'll have to do.

All this talk does make me wonder if I might be able to do something about the Megaview's similar spot. Don't have as much faith in it as the PVM in this position, as degaussing managed to move it to a completely different spot.
>>
>>2833165
A nasty zap then?

A word of advice on messing around inside it with the set turned on, then.

Don't touch anything metal with your other hand, even (and especially) the CRT chassis. You want to wear rubber soled shoes and keep your free hand away from conducting materials. electricity passing through your chest from one arm to the other is not pleasant. I've not had it happen, thankfully.

It wasn't just like a static electricity shock, then? you had burned hair?
>>
>>2833092
>>2833165
Why are you guys removing the yoke, exactly? I thought the only real reason to do that was to rotate the whole picture. Is there another reason i'm not aware of?
>>
File: 20l5-convergence-fucker.jpg (3 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
20l5-convergence-fucker.jpg
3 MB, 4608x3456
>>2833239
I got a part of a deflection strip stuck inside the deflection yoke and it was fucking up convergence worse than the problem I'd been attempting to fix. The metal part came off of the paper strip. The only way I could pull it out of the yoke was by taking the yoke clean off.

Pictured: the metal tab that messed it all up.

Since I'd already taken the yoke off and would have to put it back on just right anyway, and I had a pre-existing convergence problem I'd been trying to fix, I took that opportunity to figure out how it all worked and ended up with a nicer picture than I'd started with before I'd started mucking with convergence strips.You can fix color purity and convergence issues with the yoke and also the purity rings around the neck. Try the rings first, though.
>>
>>2833097
I would actually prefer a PVM because they're smaller and lighter, but I wouldn't turn down a good deal on a BVM. Not a lot of TV studios in my area. I know of one, and they have a gatekeeper that wouldn't let me in. I tried getting in touch with their head engineer, but haven't heard back.
>>
Best place for SCART cables? I've heard stories about ones on ebay being shit. Is there a trusted site that I could snag them from?
>>
Other than craigslist an ebay, what are some places online that may have someone selling a pvm?
>>
>>2830837
I just make offers on ebay. I got a 20" pvm for $60, and a 20" ikegami for $40 doing that. Obviously I'm not including the shipping.
>>
>>2830892
Meme monitor seems to be missing the meme input.
>>
>>2832362
>any trinitron

Anon should go for one with rgb scart, and curved glass.
>>
>>2833209
I somehow got zapped off the 20M2 as well, but not as strong as this.

And theres no way it was just static discharge. It wasn't so much visibly burnt hair as I believe some of the hair on my arm was trying to get the fuck away.

>>2833495
No component, but it still does RGB.
>>
>>2833474
There was a news crew at my work (restaurant) doing interviews for the morning news, and I so wanted to ask the camera dude if they had any pvm's lying around that I could by. I didn't want to bother him with my sperglord shit.

I've heard that recycling places are good, and Goodwill/Savers if you're lucky. I found some weird perfectly square lcds at Goodwill the other day, didn't buy on tho.
>>
Keks who complain about CRTs being too heavy are fucking cancer.
>>
>>2833526
Crt general on /fit/ when?
>>
>>2833526
And what about the people that claim about their lack of "space" for a CRT?
>>
>>2833541
All desks are deep enough to hold a desk. The desk itself wastes more room.
>>
>>2833551
I keep my desk on the kitchen counter beside my crt.
>>
>>2833526
Up to 70 lbs is fine. 90 is a bit much, and that's what most BVMs weigh. Luckily, they're not too big, but the extra picture options it offers over a PVM aren't worth the extra weight/depth of the unit.

I told myself I wasn't going to go bigger than 20" after lugging two different 36" JVCs up and down a flight of stairs by myself over the course of a year. The issue is more the size than the weight, they're awkwardly balanced and shaped. At least PVMs have little handles.

>>2833494
What were the original asking prices? Every single one I see is $300+. Most of them auto-reject my low offers. There's one guy selling some nice PVMs a few hours away from me on craigslist, and he seems to have some sensible starting prices, but the fucker won't return my emails.
>>
>>2833586
The PVM-1910 might be the easiest 20" to carry. It has nice big handles that are easy to grasp. My BVM-14G5U while a 14" is very awkward to carry as it is very deep and the handles aren't big enough. My PVM-20L5 forget about it. I moved it once when I bought it and it is going to stay where it is forever. It is much heavier than the 1910 and it doesn't even have handles. Just little grooves to put your hands in that are very shallow. Carrying that down the steps was a nightmare.
>>
>>2833591
>PVM-20L5 forget about it. I moved it once when I bought it and it is going to stay where it is forever
It weighs 68 lbs. according to the spec sheet. Not that much, really.
>>
>>2833594
Really? Maybe it feels heavier because of the awkward position my arms were in when carrying it.
>>
>>2833598
That always makes a difference. I find the best way to carry shit like that is to just ignore the handles and bear hug it. I've given though to finding some nice handles somewhere and drilling/bolting them through the casing, but if you don't plan on moving it much, kind of pointless.
>>
>>2833609
I don't know what they were thinking on the 20L5 handles. They are very close to the top and don't give you much leverage while the 1910 handles are towards the bottom giving you very good leverage.
>>
Anybody use AV carts?
>>
File: IMG_4600.jpg (939 KB, 2400x1600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4600.jpg
939 KB, 2400x1600
>>2829453
>>2829479
>tfw people reposting ur pics
>tfw you live in England, not Japan
>tfw you spent £80 combined on all three of your Sony CRT

Just ordered a fifth leg for my desk to support the M4E and will be adding the hi-fi setup as I've just isolated sound in my Super Famicom.

>dat mould
yeahhh
>>
>>2833714
>dat mould
move the fuck out
>>
>>2833714

alpaca are gay
>>
>>2833853
Don't be hating m8
>>
File: snes-us-model.jpg (3 MB, 3968x3456) Image search: [Google]
snes-us-model.jpg
3 MB, 3968x3456
>>2833419
Yeah, the station I went to had a gatekeeper too, but it was a PBS station so I was able to get in as a volunteer (I'd done it previously). And yeah, contacting the engineer is the way to go.

>>2833420
If you're in America, don't use SCART cables. There's no reason for it.
Apparently these people make good (and expensive) cables if you're too pussy to use other means to get RGB out.
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk
>>2833586
The PVM-20L5 was 70 lbs on the dot when I weighed it on a bathroom scale.
>>2833714
God, still jealous of Europe for getting the Super Famicom case. Look at the ugly POS we have to deal with.

That's a super famicom on the desk and a euro SNES on the floor behind the other desk, right?
>>
>>2833875
Correct. I was give the Euro SNES for nowt so I'll be reselling it. No use for it as I don't play PAL games. Just had to confirm it works, which it does, by hooking a DC jack directly up to the 7805.
>>
>>2833875
Custom console BNC cables when? I don't use a switchbox. I just plug in what I need at the time.
>>
File: RCA RGB.jpg (2 MB, 3800x2908) Image search: [Google]
RCA RGB.jpg
2 MB, 3800x2908
>>2833885
I (same american who posted pic of amerifag SNES) just got a 'junk' super famicom for $6.95 USD and it worked after I replaced the fuse. Just gotta drill some holes for RCA jacks, the 'murican way.

>>2833892
That's what I would do but I have a stereo A/V receiver with composite video and Y/Pb/Pr inputs, so I repurpose them as sync and G/B/R respectively.

Also, you could probably use a composite/S-video switch box if you felt like breaking out the S-Video mini-DIN connectors to three RCA jacks and ground.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 118

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.