[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, are video games really as popular and mainstream as we think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 16
File: 1456192218904.jpg (217 KB, 1622x1080) Image search: [Google]
1456192218904.jpg
217 KB, 1622x1080
So, are video games really as popular and mainstream as we think they are?

Sure, they're popular, but I wonder if it's only certain parts of gaming that's popular or that we live in a bubble where the things that are popular in our bubble we sometimes mistake as being popular among the "normies."

Youtubers, minecraft, CoD, Madden, FIFA, and mobile games is what most "normies" seem to know about and even then, it's because of social media or trends.
>>
>>342909080
Gonna need a closer shot of her feet.
>>
File: samus swol.jpg (61 KB, 637x895) Image search: [Google]
samus swol.jpg
61 KB, 637x895
I want to claim that bounty hunter.
>>
>>342909163
This.
>>
>>342909187
It always bothers me how her arm is twisted in that picture.
>>
>>342909309
Now i cant unsee it
>>
Of course it's only certain parts that are popular. Most normies wouldn't touch /v/ classics and the casuals that make up /v/ would bitch and moan if faced with anything more niche and challenging than Dark Souls
>>
>>342909080

They get time on Conan. That's pretty mainstream.
>>
>>342909080
Take your damn clothes off
>>
>>342909080
Oh and to answer your question, just how popular do you think video games are? They are certainly not as popular as movies. When couples start going to the arcades or staying home to play a co-op game as a date, then I would say that they are pretty mainstream.
>>
File: 2edgy.gif (441 KB, 500x379) Image search: [Google]
2edgy.gif
441 KB, 500x379
>>342909080
Yes, they are.

>Normies now enjoy Daredevil, who before last year was basically a C-list superhero that even most comic fans didnt care about
>Everyone and their dog watches Game of Thrones, a book series only "nerds" gave a fuck about

Everything is homogenized now because of the internet and social media, and no sekret klub is sacred anymore. Might as well get used to it.
>>
>>342909404
Hooray, I ruined it for you forever.
>>
>>342909080
Have you ever tried to get semen off with ocean water? She should try to be careful.
>>
>>342909509
>When couples start going to the arcades

That happened all the fucking time though, hell entire games were made to appeal to couples
>>
>>342909462
>Millennials watching anything other than game of thrones or walking dead.

They're too glued to Twitter and Snapchat for anything else
>>
>>342909509
that's my date night with the girlfriend once a week, dungeon crawler. rogues, Coop Shooters. Sushi, and sex.. I have no idea how I ended up here, and if this is a coma and I'm actually dying. Fuck it, let me go.
>>
>>342909080
Who cares? Post more of cosplayers wearing this outfit.
>>
There are video game commercials during the super bowl.
>>
>>342909824
More barefoot cosplay you mean.
>>
>>342909845
>Implying most nornies don't just watch the halftime show.
>>
File: 1428635338195.png (135 KB, 483x442) Image search: [Google]
1428635338195.png
135 KB, 483x442
>>342909080
>The same people who made fun of me in middle school for playing vidya and reading comics are now playing vidya and watching Marvel films
>>
>>342909586
I'd be kinda interested to know how "nerd" stuff became more popular. Maybe its just because its more readily available through the internet, whereas before you used to have to go to specialty shops to get some of this stuff.

I don't know, it just seems like a really strange transition to sci fi, comic books and fantasy becoming the most mainstream popular genres of entertainment.

And now suddenly being an outcast is all about not liking any of this stuff and thinking that you're ineffectually superior for reading old books about the human condition or watching foreign films steeped in symbolism.
>>
>>342909080
Lowest common denominator shit os the most popular while niche shitvis the least popular. That like anything else media related is it and there is nothing much to it.

Its the reason the new call of duty is beng hated on even by actuall fans of the series. Becasue if instead of being "gritty" "modern" and "realistic". It is now being viewed as being filled with gay nerdy sci fi space shit.
>>
depends on your definition of video games(i did a semi researched paper for this)

if we count shit like angry birds and bejeweled then yes, video games are extremely mainstream. if we look at the "core" and "hardcore" gamer demographic(core refers to what we call AAA titles , hardcore refers to time spent playing) then that number drastically drops especially the female demographic. The gaming industry's commercial prominence rivals that of films, but obviously culturally its not quite there yet. I'd say once our generation becomes old we'll see an exponential growth of video game dominance in popular culture
>>
>>342910314
Might sound kinda lame but the entire incessant "no bullying aloud, everyone should be friends so self-esteem doesn't get damaged!" thing that gen Y and Z have been raised with is probably the cause. Back in the day, you'd prob get crucified by bullies for even mentioning IPs like Star Wars or Daredevil. Now you're out of the loop for NOT enjoying these things.

Being born in 92, I think I got the last taste of that sort of alienation, because I remember getting made fun of for liking certain things, and I have younger siblings, friends and cousins who have no stories of that happening.
>>
>>342909080
Dang, she really is only hot in that photoshoot.
>>
>>342910314
See, but you're mistaking tertiary interest with real passion.

It's the reason why when normal people talk about game of thrones, it's specifically the show. None of them have heard of the books or would even read them. Same with the walking dead.

For them, it's the zeitgeist, it's the feeling of belonging to something everyone else is doing.

There's no real interest, the way real fans have, it's just an excuse for them to use Twitter more or to say, "me too!"
>>
>>342909080
who's this blonde hoe supposed to be?
and shut hte fuck up with this normies bullshit. you sound like a fucking 12 year old calling his bully some fucked up "bad word" or whatever.

video games aren't popular, only manchildren play them.
>>
>>342910414
Na, the reason that the new CoD is hated by normies is because hating CoD has become the new "in" thing. CoD pumped out too many games that were too similar, too quickly and normies make themselves feel good by being just that slight bit contrarian and hating it. It's like how it used to be cool to hate on Justin Bieber or Britney Spears.

Hell, the new "in" games are League of Legends and Overwatch, which are much more steeped in "nerd" culture than CoD ever was.
>>
>>342910314
because the nerdy shit like super heroes are coated in modern hollywood bull shit. They put a hot guy/girl as the main actor, throw in some cool action scenes and make the setting and characters more gritty, add in a romantic subplot and boom you have a commercially successful piece of media that attracts normal people and nerds who knew about the source material as well as kids who thinks explosions and super heroes are cool
>>
>>342910314
Big bang theory. Whille not 100% it. It is ay least the one that best shows why this shit has come to pass. It made being "lol im such a nerd like x or y" kinda cool in the eyes of the mainstream.

So it starts by something first making it seem cool. The the masses bandwagon on that shit to try to pretend to fit in with the trends so they can be hip and cool as well. Its the same thing as to this whole meme bullshit and the memesters who just spout them any chance they get just to to get of feeling if being part of some sort of "in" crowd
>>
>>342910793
>hoe
>hte
>normies
You seem underage as well. Better halt your posting.
>>
>>342910740
I'm '92 too, and nobody gave a shit what you liked as long as you weren't a sperg about it. You probably just grew up in dick country.
>>
>>342910789
I don't know, that sounds like an /r9k/ tier cynical autist theory to me. I have plenty of normie friends who love shit like GoT and the Walking Dead. Sure they don't read the source material, but they don't read ANYTHING. They watch them purely because they find them entertaining, not so much to fit in. I mean, yeah, talking to people about it is always a nice bonus for any show but I don't think that they actively seek out GoT or whatever for the sole purpose of fitting in.
>>
>>342911090
I won't disagree, lot of minorities in my school. They never physically hit me or anything but I remember getting trashed for playing my Game Boy on the bus
>>
>>342910991
>anything i don't like is underage
here, i'll finish your string of posts: reddit, tumblr, neogaf, sonygger, /pol/ /r9k/ etc.

fuck off with your buzzwords kiddo, you don't fit in here. you just post.
>>
>>342910968
Big bang theory was never about nerds being cool though. I don't know if you've ever seen it, but the nerds on that show are a bunch of stereotypical autists. And the "nerd culture" stuff is just a paper thin coating on what is actually just a generic sitcom - nerd culture really doesn't have much to do with anything in the show.
>>
>>342909586
This. I love Daredevil, but I lost it to the normies.

You have to go as niche as possible.They won't go anywhere past entry-level and popular stuff.
>>
>>342910991

>You seem underage as well
>underage as well
>as well

Welp you goofed kid. I know its summer, but try to blend in better.
>>
>>342910314
The first is that technology is more accessible now. All of these so-called "nerds" are really people who buy a lot of junk that even toddlers can use, like iPads. The other half, as mentioned by the other guy, are really just following trendy nerd fads coated in Hollywood paint.

Maybe corporations just realized that there was money to be made in the half-nerd wannabe but don't really want to be full-nerd market so they made products to cater to them. They sometimes do this, if they are good enough and have the money; they will nurture sub-cultures into something that they can mass market.
>>
File: 1434474705358.gif (4 MB, 270x263) Image search: [Google]
1434474705358.gif
4 MB, 270x263
>>342911358
>someone liking obscure superheroes like Daredevil used to mean you instantly made a new friend
>now everyone with a Netflix account likes Daredevil

And what's sad is that probably 99% of those people don't care about the complexity of Matt as a comic book character. They just want to see him punch people.
>>
>>342910202
[UNSOLICITED OPINIONS ON ISRAEL???]
>>
>>342911710
>complexity of Matt as a comic book character
lol
>>
>>342911789
Matt Murdock in particular is a very literary character compared to 99% of superheroes, faggot.

Thanks for the free shitpost though
>>
>>342909080
WHO IS SHE
>>
>>342910789
>It's the reason why when normal people talk about game of thrones, it's specifically the show. None of them have heard of the books or would even read them. Same with the walking dead.
To be fair, at this point the show has officially replaced the books as my canon.

Because at least the show will fucking finish.
>>
File: 1362229358362.jpg (23 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1362229358362.jpg
23 KB, 250x250
>>342911241
>>342911403

Why would you dumbasses think I was defending anyone? Think twice before making a post and if not I highly suggest hanging yourselves.
>>
>>342911710
I tried to explain the Born Again arc to a friend that watched the Netflix Series, his perception of the characters are really different compared to the comics. I refuse to watch the show.

I always suggest to my friends that they read the comic book of whatever show or movie they are into. They always think that's dumb. It baffles me that they don't have any drive to expand or dig deeper into anything, even if they're into it.
>>
>>342912328
to be fair the show has great choreography
>>
>>342911358
/jp/ here. You're wrong. You have no idea how wrong you are. We actually had a thread about this topic a while back.

I remember posting something along the lines of "The only way to stop this from happening is to have a hobby so autistic no normalfag would ever want to touch it." But then I realized; what is even that autistic?

Tabletop roleplaying games like D&D have totally been ruined. The scene has completely been overrun with normies and trying to find a game with committed people that genuinely want to play with no drama is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. It's full of "LOL I'm such a nerd guyz. Roll that D20!", "nerdy" girlz, and people that barely even care and will skip sessions just because they feel like it. In short, it's a shell of it's former self due to an invasion of normalfags.

>>342909586 is right on the money. Nothing is safe. Not even the most autistic of autistic. Not even touhou, not even your dickgirl tentacle incest NTR adult comic books made in gookland.

Nothing is hardcore enough to avoid normies. If you want to avoid normies, institute a "NO NEW PEOPLE" policy. Better to die young than experience tumorous growth into something that barely resembles it's former self.

I've honestly considered just quitting the internet. Like, stop visiting 4chan(I can dream), don't look at the youtube comments, just use the internet to shop, watch some youtube videos, check my email, listen to music and that's it.

But I probably wouldn't be able to do it.
>>
>>342912328
Well, you just made it pretty clear that the comic is different than the show right? They aren't interested in the comic for the same reason you aren't interested in the show - it's not the same experience.

I enjoy watching those MCU movies when they come out, but I'm not interested in reading the comics. I enjoy the movies mainly for the big CGI action scenes, which obviously a comic book can't provide. It goes the same thing for action manga. Most things I'd prefer to read the manga, but if its a purely action based series then I'd rather see the cartoon version. Action in comic form really doesn't do much for me.
>>
>>342910202
And they'll still make fun of you today because you're a dumb frogposter.
>>
>>342909080
who is this cosplayer?
>>
>>342912328
>I always suggest to my friends that they read the comic book of whatever show or movie they are into. They always think that's dumb. It baffles me that they don't have any drive to expand or dig deeper into anything, even if they're into it.
If your friends are like mine, they're either normies who weren't raised to appreciate books or writing, or their pseuds who think reading is an outdated concept. Either way, fuck them. Superheroes come from comics, not television and movies.

>I refuse to watch the show.
Honestly, coming from a fellow DD fan, check out S1. It's really good. S2 is trash, and you can definitely feel the sense that the showrunners are looking to cater to a wider audience.

Also speaking of Born Again, they're doing it for season 3, and the way they set it up is really great.
>>
>>342912671
Being a hardcore weeb like the people on /jp/ is pretty autistic. This is coming from someone with N1 Japanese who lived in Japan for several years. Even I think most of the people on that board are weeb autists.
>>
File: 1434256937859.jpg (82 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
1434256937859.jpg
82 KB, 1440x810
>>342912671
>/jp/ here.
Redundant since /jp/ is usually attracted to threads that are centered around normalfags
>>
>>342912671
>nothing is hardcore enough
>/jp/ here
You're not from /jaypee/

>>>/jp/15388891
>>>/jp/15273657
>>
File: readafuckingbook.jpg (49 KB, 550x383) Image search: [Google]
readafuckingbook.jpg
49 KB, 550x383
The only shelter left is books, friends. Normies and dudebros will NEVER read books.
>>
http://meaningness.com/metablog/geeks-mops-sociopaths
>>
>>342912773
Yeah S2 is a serious step down.

Completely unrelated note, is it just me or are TV "reviewers" getting to be as bad as vidya critics. I go online to read some reviews - see if anyone is calling out GoT/DD or whatever for being shit recently and all the reviews are sucking dick and singing praises no matter how terrible the shows get.
>>
>>342913176
>what is harry potter
>what is twilight
>what is 50 shades of grey
>what is steven king
>what is tom clancey
>what is Dan Brown
>>
>>342913086
> /jp/ is usually attracted to threads that are centered around normalfags

/jp/ is really more like two different places; idol shitters and other generals, and touhou/old memes/ other random stuff.
>>
>>342913126
Remember when D&D was so autistic no normie would touch it with a 10 foot pole?

Look at it now. Not even the things you posted are safe.
>>
>>342913372
Just going to give you some insight from someone who doesn't give a shit about comics. From an outsider perspective Season 2 was a lot more interesting than season 1 of Daredevil. Probably most critics never read the comics either.
>>
>>342912671
I will agree that tabletop gaming has been ruined by the "I LUV BORDGAYMES!" type. I'd love to find a group to just play Axis and Allies with, but no one can commit.No one seems to go balls deep anymore.
The two hobbies that I've found to be pretty normie free were reading lit/philosophy and gunpla/models.

>>342912702
I guess I can see it from that point of view, but if you say you like superheroes, wouldn't you be interested in the source material?

>>342912773
I really judge people who cannot appreciate reading in any form. Just read something. You're missing out on so much good shit.

>>342913372
I used to read the AV Club daily because I enjoyed their articles. Then they got too SJW. I finally have stopped going there. Anyone who dick-rides GOT so hard has probably not read a lot of fantasy, or just likes a soap opera with a Victorian Twist.
>>
>>342913176
/lit/ here. You're right. All the things I use to think they'd leave alone have been defiled - I see normalfags playing tabletop games, reading comics, playing vidya but even mention books around them - weather it's Joyce or Clarke - and they recoil like vampires when presented with Garlic. I don't see this changing anytime soon, even "popular" books like 50 Shades of Faggotry I only know like 2 people who have read.
>>
>>342913462
Literally all garbage.
>>
File: 1466616970952.jpg (71 KB, 640x780) Image search: [Google]
1466616970952.jpg
71 KB, 640x780
>>342912671
>not even your dickgirl tentacle incest NTR adult comic books made in gookland.

REEEEEEEEEEEEE FUCK OFF NORMALFAGS
>>
>>342909080
Mobile trash turned everyone into a game player by technicality.
>>
>>342913571
It's LITERALLY impossible for things like dolls like that and kigurumi to get "mainstream" with normies.
>>
>>342913618
I actually don't read Marvel comics(because they're shit) and I thought that S2 was a huge step down. Elektra was a terrible character, the arcs didn't get tied up very well(even though we all knew S3 was going to happen it just doesn't make for good television), Foggy and Page got sidelined and have no meaningful development and Matts motivations were all over the place at various points throughout the season. The Punisher was the best thing about the season and he wasn't a patch on Kingpin.
>>
>>342913618
The Punisher is the primary problem with the season. He's a one-note character in a comic series that is dedicated to fleshing characters out. When you contrast him with a character like Matt, who has a lot of layers to him, you see how brtually boring Frank is, because all he wants to do is kill people. When you make a character who is famous for being a killing machine, things get a lot less tense because that's all he can do. There's no stakes for a guy who is so open to just shooting someone.

Also, the general quality in writing, direction and choreography took a massive step down for S2, you can really tell that all the semantics chnaged between seasons.
>>
File: 1337873449547.gif (26 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1337873449547.gif
26 KB, 200x150
>>342912671
Yeah, but what are you running from? And why would you run away from the people who ran to the same place?
>>
>>342913752
>From /lit/
>use to
>weather it's

Anyway, my whole family of normal people reads more niche books constantly. At work most people don't know video games beyond Skyrim, COD, and sports games, but a few have mentioned reading in their spare time. Granted, just as many claim they haven't read a book since high school, but as a whole I meet a hell of a lot more people offline passionate about reading than passionate about video games.
>>
>>342913981
Those thrashy big head figurine things are taking off in a big way. It's like everything else, they take what was originally a decent interest then dumb it down into a shitty product that can be mass produced as cheap as possible and market it heavily to faggots.
>>
>>342913749
>if you say you like superheroes, wouldn't you be interested in the source material?
Personally, no. As I said I, don't get much out of action comics. I've tried reading a few and found that its not really for me. I don't really find super heroes as a concept to be that exceptionally interesting anyway - its more that super powers can be used to make some visually exciting action sequences.

It's hard to like ANYTHING that is an adaptation of source material you already like. For example the American remake of Let the Right One In got good reviews, but I found it unbearable to watch. Likewise, friends of mine said they enjoyed the new version of The Thing, but I found that equally unwatchable. The Departed was well received but I just watched it thinking about how pointless it was to remake Infernal Affairs. The anime adaptation of Prison School is well received but I just can't enjoy it because I liked the comic better.
>>
>>342913775
And? Your point being?

CoD, Avatar and Game of Thrones are garbage too. That doesn't change the point.
>>
>>342911325
Im not talking about facts im talkimg about perception. General audiences perceive that as nerd shit even then its.not really.

You are right on a factual level but the way the show is taken is far from.it.
>>
>>342912671
>stop visiting 4chan

You probably have already seen it but just in case.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhx6IfKrvEQ
>>
>>342911946
>she
>>
>>342914332
My D key is stuck, whether I'll give you - it's pretty late here. I think it might be a generational/regional thing. My slightly older friends are definitely more inclined to read.

>>342914163
>>342913618
One thing that really got me in S2 was the contrast between killing/not killing people. I could suspend my disbelief and tell myself "they're only sleeping" in S1 where people don't really die, but when Frank starts killing dudes left, right and centre you've gotta wonder how Matt is avoiding causing massive blunt force trauma and brain damage/death on a regular bases. Also the choreography went to shit.

>>342913749
Liking Victorian soap is fine, if soaps are your thing. What gets me is that so much of the show at this stage just flat out doesn't make sense and no one seems to notice/care.
>>
>>342914687
I don't need a 17 minute video to tell me this place is shit.
>>
>>342914556
My point is that popular garbage isn't indicative of what's good. Anybody who claims that they're a dedicated reader but only reads Harry Potter and 50 Shades is a retard. There are thousands of great books besides that trash.
>>
>>342915125
I just hate that there's no stakes with the Punisher around. Last season it was "Holy shit, how is Matt gonna get out of this one?" Now its "Okay yeah, Frank will just shoot him and it will be done with. Cool."
>>
>>342916246
>My point is that popular garbage isn't indicative of what's good
sure, but that was never the argument. the argument was: >>342913176
>Normies and dudebros will NEVER read books.
I pointed out a bunch of books that normies do read. The argument was not that normies never read GOOD books, because the mainstream typically doesn't often play good video games or watch good films either.
>>
>>342916402
I got tense when the irish fucker said he was going to torture the dog.
Like come on dude, it's a fucking dog.
>>
>>342916187
Yes you do. This doesn't only apply to 4chan, you can spare 17 minutes.
>>
>>342916443
Okay well you're either being really broad with the word "normie" or you're just gonna have to accept the fact that your secwet cwubs aren't secret anymore and there's always gonna be idiots who like the same shit as you.
>>
>>342916558
No he doesn't.
That shit video has been shilled for years here.
It's a shitty video of a shitty faggot that went full normie. While it's true that this site, and specially this shitty-ass board went to complete bullshit, that faggot is worse.
>>
>>342916402
Yeah especially that last bit where Matt was basically "I'm not gonna kill you, but this guy will".

>>342916519
It wasn't that tense, because I didn't for one minute believe they had the stones to torture a dog. What actually happened to the dog in the end? They made a whole big deal about it and then just never mentioned it again after that one scene.
>>
>>342916617
I don't care if normies like the same thing as me to be honest.

But I don't really see what your point is. Normal people DO read books - I pointed out a bunch that they read. That's literally the entirety of the argument. I feel like you're arguing some point completely unrelated to the discussion.
>>
>>342916849
They're irish, you never know.
I think the dog was fine.
>>
>>342916558
>I don't need a 17 minute video to tell me this place is shit.

>Yes you do.

Good argument brah.

Give me a tl;dr if it's so good. I watched like 3 minutes and he just took way to long to get to his points, which weren't presented that well.
>>
>>342912671
>Nothing is hardcore enough
Yeah, sure. Wake me up when Super Robot Wars is all the rage among normalfags.
>>
File: 1422056144833.jpg (53 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
1422056144833.jpg
53 KB, 576x432
>>342916854
Because normies do fucking everything you autist. Just because normies will read 50 Shades of Trash doesn't mean that they actively read books as a hobby.
>>
>>342909309

Meh, she's just moving her hair in a weird angle, normal for people with long hair with wet hair.
>>
File: Untitled.png (758 KB, 637x895) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
758 KB, 637x895
>>342909309
>>342917234
I think her arm would make more sense if it overlapped like this because you're supposed to be looking up at it
>>
>>342917025
I'm actually Irish myself. And my god the accents.

We always get portrayed as tough cunt gangsters, I have no idea why - we like a good bar fight and we talk a lot of shit but we're generally quite peaceful. I think it might be something to do with the early Irish Americans who actually were tough cunts and coloured Americas perception of us.

That said, spend my time moving between North Dublin and the border counties. Between the Dublin gangs and the RA it gets pretty bad I suppose.
>>
>>342917182
Yes... and? They also play CoD and watch Avatar but that doesn't mean that video games and movies are their hobby. Like you said, "normies do everything". Books are not somehow immune from that.
>>
>>342917452
Why do you hate dogs?
>>
>>342917452
Actually, scratch all that. I'm just after remembering this guy who lived around the corner from me that got his phone robbed and both his feet pinned to the floor with a nail gun a few weeks back.
>>
File: 1466149313423.jpg (827 KB, 2404x1260) Image search: [Google]
1466149313423.jpg
827 KB, 2404x1260
OH SHIT SON YOU POSTED AN MSPAINT COMIC YOU SURE SHOWED ME LOL :-0
>>
File: 1380126763767.jpg (87 KB, 799x650) Image search: [Google]
1380126763767.jpg
87 KB, 799x650
Reminder that /v/ is now packed full of these normalfags who only play mainstream garbage.
>>
>>342917597
We don't, being a mostly rural nation we're actually quite fond of them.

Is this a thing abroad? Do people think we hate dogs?
>>
>>342917493
You're just being autisticly specific with your argument

>B-b-but YOU SAID they don't read books and I proved you WRONG!!!

I was making a generalized statement, I apologize. Here's your last (You).
>>
>>342917452
>I'm actually Irish myself. And my god the accents.
Were the accents off ins some way? As someone who speaks Japanese I was kinda shocked by the fact that almost none of the "Japanese" extras speaking Japanese were actually Japanese people. It was really obvious that most of them were either chinese or Korean people based on their accents. I don't really know why this was the case either. Surely there are enough Japanese people living around wherever the show was filmed to get real Japanese people to walk down hallways and say 1 line.
>>
File: 1462745033599.jpg (116 KB, 793x636) Image search: [Google]
1462745033599.jpg
116 KB, 793x636
>normies
>normies
>normies
What happened to "normalfag"? Did neo-/jp/ also succumb to this reddit buzzword and is anyone who cries about normalfaggotry over the age of 25?
>>
>>342909080
I want to fuck with her feet.

I want to find a Samus cosplayer and do the snu-snu with her.
>>
>>342917781
Things change faggot. We also used to call each other bros as commonly as we used to call each other faggots.

We did the same thing with nigger twitterspeak too ḟāḿ, but mods became fucking assblasted that we would use vernacular ironically even though there's literally a history of it. Though the resulting wordfilter was pretty fun țḃȟ.

Hell, when the site was first created everyone was encouraged to contribute while posting, but after the normies got a hold of everyone's OC and msPaint drawfag shit, literally everyone became afraid of making jokes because then it might become a Reddit meme or something.
>>
>>342917781
Normie simply sounds more insulting than normalfag.

>>342918408
No, fuck you. The twitter nigger speak was absolutely unbearable and I'm so fucking glad it was filtered. And only reddit homos use the word "bro".
>>
File: 1466680506103.gif (4 MB, 250x259) Image search: [Google]
1466680506103.gif
4 MB, 250x259
You motherfuckers care too much about whether one guy likes the same thing you do, or if another does that. Like a pack of bitches constantly gossiping about what that girl did last week with Dan ro something.

Just do what you want. For people who claim to hate normalfags, you talk a lot about them, when they don't even think about you.
>>
>>342917770
As a general rule of thumb if you see an Irish accent in TV/Film it's in no way accurate. I actually talked to an American casting agent about this and apparently what happened is back in the early days they couldn't afford actors who could do real Irish accents and this gave rise to the stage Oirish accent you hear now. Murriclaps got so used to it that they didn't recognise real Irish accents/thought they were fake.

For reference, this is how we actually talk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omtfe7lb-gE

But in all seriousness, I couldn't actually give you a real example of an Irish accent because there's a quite distinct accent for nearly every county(we have 32). I don't know how/why we have so many nor do I understand how there are so few types of American accents for such a big/populated place.
>>
>>342918821
If you can't take the meme then get out of the kitchen newfag
>>
>>342918967
It's stupid twitter shit. I don't go on twitter, let that garbage stay there. Only underage BBC-worshippers think that shit is remotely funny.
>>
>>342919105
This nigga look like he about to shoot up a school, calm down senpai
>>
>>342918967
>>342919105
Stop posting.
>>
>>342918821
Neither of them are particularly insulting.

But normie is a reddit term for those afraid to use fag. You can think what you want but people using the term normie are most likely normies themselves, or at the very least complete newfags. No one who was around back when we used normalfag is going to switch to using normie so it's pretty good shibboleth for identifying cancer.
>>
>>342918883
For the record I'd like to say there's a similar thing for Scottish people in the media, very rarely is it anything approaching real and there's shit tons of different accents anyway so it's not easy to pinpoint

I don't mind it that much though because for whatever reason Scottish people are usually depicted in international media pretty positively
>>
>>342919313
I know how you feel, I was the same when "genwunner" started to replace "nostalgiafag" when talking about pokemon. But in this case I think normie just rolls off the tongue more and sounds more degrading.
>>
>>342920143
>Rolls off the tongue
>Using 4chins memetalk IRL
I shiggy and all that

>>342919950
Yeah I've noticed this too, having some Scottish friends. It's kind of like how all English people in media are upper class aristocrats whereas in reality they're a bunch of chavs who can't pronounce half their own language or vote in their own best interests.

I like to think we Irish get portrayed fairly well in media too, everyone seems to love the Irish whenever I go abroad(esp. America) - it's great, I get free drinks all the time. And there's nothing we love more than drink.
Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.