[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I got it! How about for our new Zelda, we take everything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 244
Thread images: 33
File: zeldaheader2[1].jpg (71 KB, 640x358) Image search: [Google]
zeldaheader2[1].jpg
71 KB, 640x358
>I got it! How about for our new Zelda, we take everything people love about Zelda and throw it in the trash!
>Then what DO we make?
>I dunno, Skyrim? People like Skyrim.

I want Nintendo to die already. Just when I thought they couldn't go any lower than the Shovelware crap we got last year.
>>
File: 1370297191891.png (272 KB, 515x507) Image search: [Google]
1370297191891.png
272 KB, 515x507
>>341480687
As someone who usually mocks Zelda for being the same old shit year after year after year, this actually looked ok, so I guess it makes sense that nintoddlars are outraged.
>>
>>341480687

What did they throw in the trash exactely, shitposter?
>>
>>341480687
wtf do you linear fags want? everything in linear zelda is here.
>>
>>341480687

>I got it! How about for our new Zelda, we take everything people love about Zelda and throw it in the trash!
But that's what Zelda did with Twilight Princess. Took out all the free roaming, exploration and good progression. Replacing it with complete linearity, shit NPC interaction and hours of cutscenes.
>>
>>341480949
you're so fucking cool
>>
>>341480687
>every open world game is now Skyrim
Sometimes I forget how young this board is.
>>
Nah, they are actually simply reintroducing an element of Zelda games they had completely forgotten in Skyward Sword, but since everyone complained about it, it's coming back.
Exploration is a core element of LoZ and has always been.
>>341481154
This.
>>
>>341480687
Looks like we can actually explore in this one, like what the first game was all about.
>>
>>341481154
Innovation,creativity, originality

Everyone else was copying Skyrim 2-3 years ago, Nintendo is just this slow catching up with the industry.
>>
>>341481154
Puzzles, lively world of NPCs with quests, any sense of real progression or structured story. They replaced the adventure with a toybox full of toys you play with a couple times and then put away because they're impractical and useless in most every situation. Do you think that bouncy fireball wand is going to be any help at all? It's a toy to make you go "Ooooo, physics" and then put away because it has no practical application what so ever.
>>
>>341481908
But I thought every zelda game was the same thing.
>>
>>341481978
>Puzzles, lively world of NPCs with quests, any sense of real progression or structured story.
All of those things are in the game. They said multiple times they wouldn't show them to avoid spoilers.
>>
>>341480687
Why is it that anytime Zelda actually looks good, the Zelda fanbase shits on it? No wonder Nintendo stopped trying with you people and just pandered to normies.
>>
>>341482389
>Literally said yesterday that the game wouldn't have a story and that you could just go kill the final boss whenever you feel you're ready
>"There's a story guys, I swear!"
>>
>>341480687
You know I don't think anyone on this board has actually played Skyrim given how many illogical comparisons to it are made so often
>>
>>341482612
>Literally said yesterday that the game wouldn't have a story
[citation needed]
>>
>>341480687
>like skyrim
>but with zelda combat
I can deal with this
>>
>>341482612
They said that most of the lore could be skipped, that doesn't mean there's no story. And they also said that you can just "go" to the final boss, it doesn't mean that you'll be able to kill him (the game will probably force you to get the Master Sword to damage him anyway).

How old are you? You seem to have a problem with basic reading.
>>
>>341482809
Just report him and move on. That's all this thread is for.
>>
>>341482886
Just what skyrim needed, to be even MORE of a cake walk that you will never die in.
>>
>>341446085
>>
>>341480949
This.

This is the first genuinely good-looking Zelda game in ages. Nintoddlers are fucking retarded.
>>
people underestimate how much damage all the skyrim paranoia did to this board
>>
>>341482612
Nobody fucking said there would be no story in the new Zelda. They said you could skip the story entirely and head directly to fight Ganon immidiately. But the story is still fucking there for the people who want to play it properly. What, do you expect to be spoonfed the entire plot or something?
>>
>>341480687

>wah they're not appealing to a cinematic lore fag like me!
And people wonder why this game is getting more attention than the dozens of cinematic focused games under MS/Sony.
>>
>>341484089
I expect the plot to be a series of events that come together to make an adventure, not audiologs you go looking for that vaguely tell you about stuff from the past.
>>
Horseback combat.
Checkmate Skyrimfags
>>
>>341483721

>Nintendo fans are the ones complaining
>not reverse trolling by Sony fans pretending to be Nintendo fans

This your first E3 bud?

>>341484089

>What, do you expect to be spoonfed the entire plot or something?
Since he wants the games to be more like recent Zelda titles, I'm going to assume that's the case.
>>
>>341480687

After making the most linear console Zelda of all time, it makes sense to make the opposite as the next game.
>>
File: 1429742631629.png (471 KB, 551x550) Image search: [Google]
1429742631629.png
471 KB, 551x550
>>341484335
(You)
I like skyrim tbqh
>>
>>341483467
>cake walk

Who the fuck cares?
Skyrim was a massive sandbox to fuck around in. Not a game to play.
>>
>>341484089
How is the story going to work? The final boss is sitting at his castle all game, nothing is happening. Nothing is changing. This is the way of open world games and story with non linear progression. You don't go around doing things, you go around learning about things that were done.
>>
>>341480687
I'm just going to be over here, in this corner, that's for people who just genuinely love playing video games and having fun.
>>
There hasn't been a good Zelda game since majora s mask
>>
They literally removed NOTHING! They just added what was removed from the original zelda. More Freedom. It's still zelda. Just now the natural progression it should have taken.
>>
>>341485249
Oh, then you won't like this, because as >>341485002 said, Skyrim isn't about being a game. It's about wandering the world to find a new dragon shout that has no practical application and you will use maybe once or twice. This is the fate of Zelda. Walking around, find a fire rod that shoots bouncy fireballs, using it twice and then realizing the existence of such an item is pointless.
>>
>>341480687
This game has more in common with Zelda 1 than skyrim.
>>
>>341484510
>Hasn't been in Zelda threads prior to E3.

Is it yours?
>>
More like

>what do we do with our floundering shitty rehash series number 5?

>idk, actually try to make it interesting by adding rpg elements

>aight

And now it looks playable.
>>
File: 1452877391492.jpg (12 KB, 206x235) Image search: [Google]
1452877391492.jpg
12 KB, 206x235
>>341480687
It looks like it may be decent but I share the fear that they may just tryto lazily impart "good" stuff from other rpgs but it shouldn't be a problem if they're wise and know that Zelda is Zelda and they need to build upon the formula not reinvent the wheel.

This is what I think a good design philosophy might look like
MMfag here so I would essentially have the mask collecting thing make a return. A simplistic idea but I would have an increase in the total mask number from what it was in MM.

The cool part however; is that I would also introduce the "Face Sword". This guy would also double as the classic companion character. A sword that has a blank face on its guard that the various masks in the game could be equipped to, giving it various powers and puzzle solving utilities. The game would be gloriously difficult in places where you had to nimbly switch between masks both on Link and the sword in a very short span of time to use the very subtle effects each variety imparts in a given situation.
>One mask to raise a cube of earth from the ground, then a fire mask to strike only the left side of that cube (aim carefully), a time-slow mask on Link so you can run to the other side before the fire runs out, and put the bunny hood on the sword whose now-fast thrusts are the only thing that can hit every puzzle slot in time.
Have enemies in certain challenge modes/areas require things like this as well.
1/3.
>>
>>341485875
The best part; not only would you have unique masks different from MM (bring back the old must-haves of course) you'd also get to actually place the masks on your SWORD at the same time, granting you elemental transformations, puzzle-solving utilities, and other abstract stuff. Maybe replace the Ocarina by having a legendary "Bard Mask" that you must aquire that you then place on your sword to gain the song making mechanic. Put it on Link to -learn- the various songs throughout the game. Put it on the sword to -play- the songs. You can even use 2 masks at once by equiping one on Link, one on the sword. Best part is that the Transformation masks (of which I'm thinking 5 instead of 3) will change the instrument depending on the race.
Heck even have the minor masks add these purely aesthetic aesthetic -slight- musical/visual alterations (or even with a tiny puzzle solving potential) to the base instrument. I also have an idea for another mask category other than transformation. 'Summon Masks'. The only one of which I have thought up is Midna's Fused Shadow. Putting it on summons Imp Midna. Put it on the sword; True Midna. Midna + Bard-Sword would even give her a Twili instrument to play instead of you.
This would be how the optional pick-a-companion thing some people are clamoring for would operate. Tons of waifu potential, had idea for a mechanic grill that would use a bunch of gadgets including a mortar to rain hell from, the back while you charge the front. Pretty much pic related.
2/3
>>
File: 1451519616357.jpg (154 KB, 1550x1400) Image search: [Google]
1451519616357.jpg
154 KB, 1550x1400
>>341486139
Each summon character, lets use Midna as an example, would have two modes: contextual and companion (mask on Link and Sword respectively). Midna in Imp from would do her action like playing a Twili instrument among others then go away. Putting a Summon mask on Face would bring True Midna with dual Twili scimitars or some shit and would follow you "Hey I'll carry yo shit" style. May or may not deprive you of your sword, dunno.

There would be three special masks; one would be the mid game occurrence that is equivalent of gaining the upgraded Sword in the previous titles; the Mimic Mask. Now whatever mask you have on will be treated as if it's also on Link/Face Sword at the same time. The Goron weapon/item/action/effect can now be wielded by the Goron itself etcetera; boosting and/or altering it slightly.
The others would be the Bard Mask and, surprise surprise, Majoras Mask. I plan on having Fierce Diety be the antag so a fun little gimmick in having the final mask you collect be obtained in the same way you got FD in MM would be kickass. You know everyone and their grandma wondered what it'd be like for Link to don Majoras Mask so now they can. It'd be limited where you could put it on but just boss battles was kinda gay so it could have rare uses in the creme-de-la-creme of challange modes and puzzles.
3/3
>>
>>341485875
Wasn't it confirmed that the Happy Mask Salesman was making a return, or is that another shitty """"rumor?"""
>>
>>341480687
>Skyrim was the first open world game

Let me guess 12 yo?
>>
>>341485719
Zelda 1 had progression. You could walk in the final dungeon right away but you couldn't do shit and still needed to do all the other dungeons. There's very little you could do out of order because you often needed items from the last dungeon to continue.
>>
>>341480687
But that's what Skyward Sword was.
A Zelda game without exploration, what the fuck?
>>
>>341486778
How do you know this isn't the case?
>>
>>341486861
Because they said you could go strait to the final boss right away if you know where he is and don't mind having shit equipment.
>>
>>341487040
That would make it even further from skyrim than zelda 1

If anything it'd be like the old CRPGs from the 90s
>>
>>341484317

And why would you assume it's the case, shitposter?
>>
>>341486389
I dunno
>>
I don't get what people are seeing. They are so hype, when I literally see nothing worthwhile.

If they had shown some dungeons or interesting stuff, I might be excited.
>>
>>341485401
This, though Wind Waker and Twilight Princess were at least partly enjoyable.
>>
>>341480687
>we take everything people love about Zelda and throw it in the trash
Yeah man I loved the bad combat, linear design, no item interplay and lack of real verticality in Skyward Sword! Fuck Nintendo for getting rid of that good shit!
>>
>I got it! I'll post stupid shit on /v/ because my opinion matters more then anyone else!
>>
Took another 24 hours for shitposters ( like every E3 so far ) to fucking start the shitpostwar on Nintendo yet again.

What did they throw away OP?

The tedious tutorial everybody hated in TP and even worse SS?

Shiiry artstye that wasnt good on SD consoles like SS?

Remember how people complained that you couldnt explore anything in SS except for like 3 floating turds in the sky?

This Zelda has still all the elements people love about Zelda games:
The sense of exploration
The feeling that you will visit great things in Hyrule and defeat the big evil in the end
>>
>>341485401
How do you like my idea then?
>>341485875
>>341486139
>>341486294
>>
>>341481978
I know this is hard for an underage to understand, but there was a time when absolutely none of these things were synonymous with Zelda.
>>
>>341487040
I wonder if speedrunners will still call that sequence break, since technically it isn't.
>>
>people with brains getting tired of open world games
>Nintendo makes their first one
>Whoooahh

It seems good if it was 2011 again.
>>
>>341487782
What it looks like they threw away is the ability to comfortably 100% a game without having to wander through endless tedious wastes and shitty inventory management.
>>
>>341487764
So then it's perfect for you. You disliked the other zeldas and now it's geared toward skyrim fags.
>>
I hate 3d Zeldas and this made me want to play a 3d Zelda.
It seems kind of shallow, and I don't think it's the right direction, but I'm still really curious about it.
>>
>>341488015
>First one
>>
>>341480687
I'm a NeoGAF-tier Sony user and even I think that BotW looks amazing. Might end up getting a Wii U for it, just like I did with my 3DS and SMT IV.
>>
>>341488015
>>people with brains getting tired of open world games
>I don't like thing. Surely no intelligent creature could like thing
>>
>>341488250

If i had autism i would made that point myself.
But i finished WW , another game Nintendo made, without going to every archipel in the game
>>
>>341487195
Because the final boss is there in his castle the whole time. Everything about the world is static in the interested of making it "non linear" so nothing is going to happen. The only story you're going to get is lore about stuff that happened.
>>
>>341488262
I didn't dislike the other Zeldas
I disliked the Aonuma "exploration isn't fun" abominations.
>>
>>341488662
Zelda world were always static (except Majora's Mask).
>>
>>341488578
There is a reason why, you like this sort of shit.
>>
>>341488262
I hated Skyward Sword, I love most other 3D Zeldas.

Sorry this is more in line with the original TLOZ than the latest babby game in the series.
>>
>>341488250
If the only reason you don't like the game is because you just want to sit and 100% it (regardless of good gameplay or other overly simplified shit from previous zeldas) then you have a much bigger problem to worry about than new zelda, anon.
>>
>>341488941
Because it actually looks innovative within the realms of Zelda games, has a great artstyle, and looks comfy as fuck?
>>
>>341488262
>combat is better now
>geared towards Skyrim fags
>>
>>341489117
LBW is a good Zelda game. Not linear, but not full of tedious inventory management, finicky useless physics gimmicks and panoramas of completely empty expanses.

3D Zelda was a mistake.
>>
>>341488662
Do you think Chrono Trigger has no story?
>>
>>341489350
I meant Skyward Sword
>>
>>341489232
Because it is a bunch of half-assed gimmicks already overdone by other games mixed together.

>>341489161
I just want dungeons. Everything else is secondary and then focusing on it is a clear sign that they don't understand what makes a Zelda game good.

This is walking though Hyrule Field times a million.
>>
>>341489650
But that wasn't the latest Zelda game. Skyward Sword was garbage. Then they made a better one. You can't just ignore a game to make a point.
>>
File: 4realthistime.jpg (362 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
4realthistime.jpg
362 KB, 1920x1080
See that mountain? You can climb it.
>>
>>341489947
3D and 2D Zeldas practically exist as separate things, I was talking about the last 3D mainline Zelda, pretty obvious from the fact I mentioned Skyward Sword in the post.
>>
File: 1465528707888.png (152 KB, 278x245) Image search: [Google]
1465528707888.png
152 KB, 278x245
/v/ - False flag haven
>>
>>341488662
Super metroid is static and its one of the best games ever. Don't get me wrong, I want adaptive worlds but lets not pretend like most open world games even know how to do that. Shit fallout and elder scrolls lost their ability to convey realistic worlds years ago. Nothing ever happens that changes the world nor do npcs even properly acknowledge changes in the world which is something that fucking SNES rpgs did right 20 years ago.

Both of bethesda's latest games had botched, shallow gameplay and numerous bugs and issues in exchange for what was supposed to be realistic worlds and "immersive" dialogue and characters, yet they failed at every turn.
Zelda BotW doesn't have any of that either but at least they aren't trying to make it since its something that they clearly have no idea how to make, unlike skyrim/Fallout4.
>>
>>341489760
>I'm the opposite. I want a world to run around in and people to talk to.

Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda, obvs.
>>
>>341480687
>Ask for open-world Zelda for decades
>get angry when you get it
Who can ever understand you, /v/? I, for one, will be buying it day 1 (On NX, of course)
>>
>>341489574
Chrono Trigger gets around that with time travel where you have a series of characters with stories that you collect for your party, each timeline having their own plot. The entire story of this game is going to be "Go kill ganon" from the moment you wake up. Everything else is "learn pointless details about the past you'll have no impact on"
>>
File: zelda-overworld(map).png (157 KB, 4096x1408) Image search: [Google]
zelda-overworld(map).png
157 KB, 4096x1408
this new zelda is going back to zelda's core, essentially the very first game

>just wake up in a big world, no big intro, no 10-minute dialogues thrown at you
>go wherever the fuck you want and explore
>mysterious old guy

i'm kind of hyped since i love the first zelda
>>
>>341490181
But that philosophy is why they keep churning out shitty games. Because 3D Zelda games don't work. 2D Zelda games can have something interesting on every screen, 3D Zeldas inevitably can't because it becomes too busy and unrealistic, so you have these long swaths of utter tedium.
>>
Glad I can finally play a modern Zelda with good combat and bosses.

They haven't shown off dungeons, but said they will be like typical Zelda fare compared to the little shrine things.

Literally the only thing I'm worried about is the lack of music, everything else is a straight upgrade from the last few lackluster mainline entries.
>>
>>341490393
Misquoted. You know what I mean.
>>
File: kotn screenshot.jpg (150 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
kotn screenshot.jpg
150 KB, 1024x576
>>341480687
>skyrim
>not oblivion
I refuse to believe that Nintendo is that up to date
>>
>>341480949
Pretty much this.
>>
File: 2016-06-15 16.58.08.jpg (12 KB, 238x311) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-15 16.58.08.jpg
12 KB, 238x311
>>
>>341490423
who did ask your an open world zelda for decades you stupid braindead monkey?
The quality of zelda has always been a well polished living world and amazing dungeons, and they are losing both with every new game.
>>
>>341490393
Then this game is the worst of both worlds with its focus on "the wild" with hunting animals and wilderness. Towns and dungeons will clearly end up an afterthought.
>>
>>341490543
I'm playing it for the first time (LttP was my first).

Going on a hunt for dungeons is fun.
>>
>>341490915
Yeah because that worked so well for Skyward Sword
>>
>>341480687
Go play Zelda 1 you faggot.
>>
>>341490543
The difference is all those dungeons were mandatory and the game was perfectly in line with OoT, having you able to visit other dungeons early but often making you need items from the last dungeon, all building up to that final level.

This is just "Explore wildly until you're satisfied, then go kill the final boss". There's no progression. All the dungeons are 100% pointless.
>>
>>341490932
It's been said over and over, they took them out of the demo because spoilers. They will probably be more than "an afterthought."
>>
Zelda was TES before TES was a thing.
>>
>>341481978
did you even watch anything? they visited several shrines, which are micro-dungeons.

>>341487989
you can fuck off as well, puzzles are absolutely integral to zelda. don't be a cunt.
>>
File: 1454114144929.jpg (117 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
1454114144929.jpg
117 KB, 1440x1080
>>341480687
It doesn't matter if the haters are hating.

This is new territory for Nintendo. It's actually HUGE for them. They're finally admitting that western devs (and the rival consoles) have something right. This is the new Zelda. And it will sell like gangbusters.

Fingers crossed for grimdark Metroid Prime 4 with online multiplayer, massive and gorgeous 3D Mario, and Advance Wars on NX.

Kimishima was the best thing that ever happened to them.
>>
>>341480687
I don't get this.

Isn't it just everything you loved about zelda without being stuck in small ass panels or segments..
lolol you're an idiot. Nintendo is finally moving in the right direction.
>>
>>341490932
Dude even the mini dungeon shrines have better puzzles than shit like Wind Waker and Skyward Sword.
>>
>>341491329
>puzzles are absolutely integral to zelda
Zelda 1 had none
>inb4 some fag tells me secrets are puzzles
>>
>>341491492
All of these would be titles normies would collectively shit themselves over.

This is a wise move.
>>
>>341491271
jesus christ are people really seriously literally meaphorically this stupid

the plot can be missed if you're a faggot who's in a rush and don't care bout no lore. that's what they said.

Do you seriously think they'll just let you run up to the final boss from the start? you don't think maybe you might possible potentially hypothetically need to acquire items first? you know, items that might be inside dungeons? like every zelda game?

god damn
>>
File: 123132123.png (56 KB, 543x563) Image search: [Google]
123132123.png
56 KB, 543x563
>open world = skyrim
>>
>>341490423
Open-world as in expansive and free to roam

Not open-world as in go craft another bow because that last one broke on the 35th arrow shot.

Not open-world as in go hunt boars for meat to cook into items you can use to replenish hp

The game's setting itself looks moderately interesting, and I feel like it would be fun to run around in if the game wasn't constantly interrupting my fun with tedium and chores.

People complained about the railroading and linearity in more recent Zelda games, true... But literally NOBODY, anywhere, ever complained about rupees popping out when you cut grass.

The problem isn't the large world, it's the out-of-left-field emphasis on "realism". In a game about a reincarnated magic elf boy who has a triangle that can save the world.
>>
File: 1417238324191.png (14 KB, 200x184) Image search: [Google]
1417238324191.png
14 KB, 200x184
>>341491581
>Zelda 1 had none
>>
>>341491280
Why would you show off the worst aspect of the game and market it with that in mind (including the title)?

Sure, there will be dungeons, but I doubt they thought "We can't let people know there is a Fire Dungeon!". They are just convinced that this shit is somehow more important.

The trailer literally showed someone physicians a rock off a cliff, as though that was something to look forward to.
>>
>>341480687

I know getting (you)s is your fulltime job but these kinds of games have been around since before skyrim
>>
>>341491581
yes, every single room in every single dungeon of LoZ was just a monster house, how could I forget?

seriously why did you even make that post? what are you doing in this thread if your knowledge base is so non-existent? Or are you just willfully ignorant?
>>
Speedrunners are going to hate this game
>The games optimal time is just going to be running from point A to point B and killing the final boss without getting hit
>It'll be like 20 minutes of running after some mild speed glitches and optimization
>To do a 100% run would require doing 100+ shrines which would take stupid amounts of hours that no one wants to sit through

The worst of both worlds.
>>
>>341492120
>Speedrunners

Who the fuck cares?
>>
>>341491748
>half-assed physics engine
>retarded-looking ragdolling
>absolutely no difficulty outside of one-hit kills due to being able to pause the game and spam as much food as you want, even when frozen/knocked down/stunned
>a bunch of generic boring weapons that are totally interchangeable with one another
>map that just has a point on it showing you where to go that you can also put your own markers on

Seems a lot like Skyrim to me.
>>
>>341491783

>emphasis on realism

Realism has nothing to do with the mechanics you mentioned. They're there because it works for the game they are making.
>>
>>341480687

You're so lame, do you intentionally try to hate things that look super fun? I'm gonna be an NX just to play Zelda on it.
>>
File: 1465494001789.png (588 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
1465494001789.png
588 KB, 1440x810
>>341480687
But in Skyrim there's actual places to explore, the new Zelda just looks empty for the most part
>>
>>341491997
>people have been begging for exploration
>genuine excitement that this would be like Zelda 1
>but let's not show it off
>>
You keep saying Skyrim, but how are these related outside of being open world? Because Zelda has done that before.
>>
>>341492261
Apparently the maker of this game for going out of his way to make a game like this. The problem is speedrunners like breaking games and having an intentional speedrun path defeats the purpose of that and just means dull normal gameplay overrides any kind of the fun of coming up with optimizing and tactics.
>>
>>341492060
>>341491951
Secret entrances by themselves are not puzzles, they're secrets
>>
>>341491492
This is exactly why I am upset. They are moving against their old philosophy. I know Skyward Sword was garbage.

But that doesn't mean I want them to try to ape all these other games. Open worlds aren't interesting. Physics puzzles aren't interesting. Inventory management is not interesting. The ONLY reason to play a Zelda game is dungeons.

Expanding the overworld is literally the last thing this franchise needed. They should've just cut out everything but the dungeons. Because that is the fun part. And fun is more important than immersion or technology or strategic depth.
>>
>>341492437
Don't forget an large, empty world that has small ruins you can explore, most of which have basic puzzles.

Oh, and you also go around to shrines in order get runes, which grant you unique powers.

Sound familiar?
>>
>>341492904
Wow...

shitty taste is shitty
>>
>>341490637
Why is 3D Zelda bad? How is 3D Zelda "unrealistic" and "too busy"? Is 2D Zelda "unrealistic" and or "too busy"?
>>
>>341492636
People are wrong. Nintendo is wrong. 3D Zelda was a mistake. And this game will be as bad.
>>
>>341492456
If by "the game they're making" you mean "The Zelder Scrolls", then yes.

But Zelda isn't a sandbox survival crafting game. It's not Dark Souls. It's an adventure game, and it has certain common elements that tie it together from a gameplay perspective.

I think this will be the first Zelda game EVER where rupees and hearts don't just pop out of broken pots and cut grass. Why abandon that? Why take away the simple "crack open stuff when your health is low before progressing" system in place and replace it with such a convoluted clusterfuck of an HP recovery system?

Why add durability bars to every fucking weapon? Who was playing Ocarina and said "this game would be better if every weapon worked like Deku Sticks"?

They're just trying to copy elements from other "open world" games because they know open world is a thing they want to do, but they don't know how to make a fun Zelda game out of it.
>>
>>341492904
>Open worlds, Physics puzzles, Inventory management are not interesting.
That is subjective. I find all three of those fun.
>>
>>341493128
3D Zelda isn't realistic and too busy. That's the point.

A 2D Zelda can have every 10 seconds of gameplay have something going on, whether it is a few enemies, a puzzle or whatever without feeling busy or unrealistic.

A 3D Zelda can't, which is why all 3D Zeldas have this incredibly boring swaths of nothing. Hyrule Field sucks. The Great Sea sucks. Walking from dungeon to dungeon sucks.

In LBW and LTTP, with the exception of towns, every screen would have something going on. And because each screen was a few seconds of gameplay, you weren't ever bored.
>>
>>341492904
Cutting out the overworld is literally what Skyward Sword was. The design philosophy behind that game was "The overworld needs to be like the dungeons", even saying that in the interview. That's why the town was so separate from the rest of the world.
>>
>>341492904

Woah, you have terrible taste.
>>
>>341493549
Correct. They are subjective. Good eye. Everything I stated was an opinion.

Which is the only thing that can exist when it comes to discussing the quality of a game.
>>
>>341493549
Not that guy, but at the risk of asking a stupid question, why not go play any of the hundreds of games that already prominently feature those mechanics?

Why does Zelda have to be that?

I liked Quake 3 Arena but I don't want Zelda to be that. I liked Pokemon but I don't want Zelda to be that. I liked SART but I don't want Zelda to be that.

I like Zelda. Why can't Zelda just be Zelda? Why does it have to become something totally different?
>>
>>341493793
Really? You don't find the parts in between dungeons a boring slog in 3D Zeldas?

>>341493774
How did they fuck it up then? We're the dungeons just garbage? Or was there not enough of them?
>>
File: 1462750636336.gif (980 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1462750636336.gif
980 KB, 400x300
>>341480949
>Zelda is like Oot
>Fukkin rehash

>Zelda breaks it's mold and starts doing stuff people have asked for
>Ruined, lost all charm and originality fukkin Nintendo

Shitposters gotta shit.
>>
>>341480687
What do people love about Zelda? No, this is a legit question. What mechanics or gameplay staples drew them into the series?

You know what Zelda was to me? Exploration. I loved finding new items and seeing what I could do with them. I loved burning down bushes, bombing walls. Taking on dungeons was a means to get new items, completing dungeons progressed the story, but it wasn't ever really my goal.

This game is everything I ever hoped Zelda could be. I hated the linear story filled mess that it had become. Seeing it go back to Zelda 1 mechanics of being thrown into a world, not told where to go, handed a wooden sword/stick and let loose to explore. That's Zelda to me.

Now I can explore at my leisure. Just do fun shit like surf around snowy mountains. Raid bokoblin camps and collect weapons. Hunt for food and then finally, when I am good and ready. I will go to a dungeon and I will repeat the process again and again. Not because the game told me to, but because it's what I wanted.
>>
>>341494102
Because that's what OoT did in the 90s: turned Zelda into something totally different from what Zelda was.

This is the first Zelda game in over 20 years that is actually Zelda just being Zelda.
>>
File: myst.jpg (81 KB, 600x350) Image search: [Google]
myst.jpg
81 KB, 600x350
>>341482612
I think they meant it in the same sense as pic related. Myst had a really engrossing and convoluted story and there was definitely a lot of game in that game, but at the same time if you knew things you could only know after playing for hours or if someone at school just told you could beat the game in about 5 minutes.

I think what he was hinting at is that there's something you can do right from the beginning like go to a specific spot and move a boulder, or chop down five specific trees in the right order that gives you access to the final endgame boss. The problem is you need to PLAY in order to know to do that.
>>
>Skyrim invented open world
I want this meme to end
>>
The only game I genuinely like from this franchise is Zelda II. I liked it when I was 7 and I like it now. I have never had fun with a TLOZ game again until ALBW, which was acceptably good.

All things considered, this franchise can burn in a fire for all I care.
>>
>>341480687
Looks good, as long as the dungeons are on par with the other great games then it's a must play for me
>>
>>341480687
Jesus christ I don't think I've ever seen shittier taste.
>>
File: 1367531756474s.jpg (2 KB, 125x60) Image search: [Google]
1367531756474s.jpg
2 KB, 125x60
>>341492904
Well, if you think about it they said they wanted to reinterpret the franchise from its origins.

If you play the original NES Zelda and examine if through the lens of a developer, it's an extremely open game. It tells you NOTHING about what you need to do beyond the intro story/instruction manual. There's shit you would never know about that game until your second, third, fourth playthrough. Zelda II was similar in a sense, and ALttP even less so but still there.

If you think about it, this is just the logical "modern" interpretation of that original design philosophy. This is more of a "Zelda" in the traditional 1986 sense than OoT, TP, SS, WW...

Not knocking those games (they are all great in their own right), but compared to BotW you really start to see how "unZelda" they were compared to the original.
>>
>>341493434
>Convoluted clusterfuck of an HP recovery system
The food items are literally just like small portions of potions. Think of them to be like collectable droppable hearts you find. How is that difficult or confusing in anyway?

>>341493759
Wait are you saying that 3D Zelda is too busy but at the same time that it has "boring swaths of nothing"? But anyways after a certain point in the game, you can literally obtain warping spell or use somekind of warping mechanic to travel to places you want to go to.
>>
>>341488662
The fact that The Calamity Ganon is sealed in Hyrule Castle and your primary job is "stop him from getting out and destroying the rest of the world" does not mean the rest of the world is static, only that one part.
There's clearly some weird ass shit at play here, considering Link wakes up in some kind of CRAZY SCI-FI CHAMBER.
>>
>>341480687
Seeing the amount of absolute buttdevastation it caused on salty sonyponies like you, OP, i simply cannot wait for the game to get released
>>
>>341493759
>which is why all 3D Zeldas have this incredibly boring swaths of nothing
BOTW has already shown more environment interaction than any other Zelda with that Guardian fight alone
>>
>>341494363
I'm not complaining about the exploration, though.

I'm complaining about it becoming a survival-crafting mess instead of an adventure game

I don't want my wandering to be tampered by bullshit like my coat's durability loss causing the cold to deplete my health so I have to stop and make a fire to cook up some Octorok meat.

I totally get the appeal of the big world to explore, but who the hell asked to stop after a tough fight with a Stalfos to go spend 10 minutes hunting deer to get their hearts back?
>>
File: ComeOn.jpg (59 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
ComeOn.jpg
59 KB, 640x480
>>341485502

>acting like you used the fire rod in any of the other games more than twice
>pretending like you have practical use outside of two areas for half the items in most games

Anon shut up
>>
>>341480687

The "exploration" in this game will be akin to WW's empty ocean and SS's boring rocks in the sky. Calling it.
>>
>>341495357
Reminds me of the Spinner item from TP. Worst fucking offender of "use it a couple times in the dungeon you get it and never ever use it ever again".
>>
>we take everything people love about Zelda and throw it in the trash!

Did people really love linearity, handholding, a general lack of exploration, excessively long opening sequences, and getting money and health from cutting grass that much?
>>
>>341492835
>what are the dungeons
>>
>>341495143
>but who the hell asked to stop after a tough fight with a Stalfos to go spend 10 minutes hunting deer to get their hearts back?
There's literally shit like apples and mushrooms lying around ALL over the place, and they don't require any preparation at all to give you a quick health boost. How is that any different from slashing at bushes over and over to farm for hearts?
>>
>>341494349
This.

People keep saying this is like all the other recent open world games, which it takes some elements from. Difference is this is actually focused on exploration.

Open world RPG are typically driven by linear quests and customisation. Many other open world games go full sandbox like GTA and just make the world fun to fuck around in. Others go the ubisoft route, build a world, and then fill it with copy pasted quests tailored to that game's unique mechanics. In none of these is the exploration actually meaningful, you can't find anything worth finding. They all tell you where to go to continue your quest.

This is one of the few - assuming it's like the original Zelda or Windwaker - where the focus is on discovery. It's a completely different kind of game.

That's why I'm excited. I'm sick of Ubisoft open worlds and open world RPGs are almost always shit due to bad quest design, so it's about time we got an open world that makes exploring it meaningful. If anything, this sounds more like very early WRPGs.
>>
>>341494883
Anon, I've done enough "can I add this radroach meat without hitting my carry weight limit" shit to last a lifetime.

What was wrong with enemies dropping hearts?

I think it's just because it's indicative of the game becoming less game-y that it bothers me. Zelda was one of the few game franchises left that was totally unafraid to just be a videogame, even if that didn't always gel well with a realistic interpretation of its universe.

Would you be okay with a Mario game where there were no coins or super mushrooms and when Mario got hurt, he limped around until he stopped to make Goomba Stew and camp for the night?

I dunno, if you'll have fun with the game, god speed I guess. It just looks like Nintendo decided to hop on all the worst "realism" bandwagons in modern gaming to create a world more concerned with logical consistency than entertainment value.
>>
>>341492904
Playing only dungeons is just a grind... There needs to be exploration as well, with secrets and side quests so you can dick around. Honestly I think they are going in an ok direction with the new game but the graphics are just awful, and they seem to have copied a lot of mechanics from other games, plus the world seems kind of empty and lifeless
>>
>>341485502
>implying a rod that shoots fireballs that bounce off of any surface needs any kind of specific practical purpose to justify its existence
ignoring the obvious puzzle solving or combat capabilities of any item that produces fire on command, IT'S A ROD THAT SHOOTS FIREBALLS THAT BOUNCE OFF OF ANY SURFACE, COME THE FUCK ON.
>>
>>341496163
They intentionally removed npcs and villages for the most part just for this demo so the game wouldn't be spoiled
>>
>>341480687
>>341481908
Why do people keep comparing this to Skyrim? Because it's a fantasy open world? Zelda and Ultima pioneered open worlds.
>>
>>341495750
Was cutting grass for rupees really the most efficient way to get rich in every Zelda game? I mean I do recall in Wind Waker that it was looking for treasure that was more efficient.

>>341496054
>Would you be okay with a Mario game where there were no coins or super mushrooms and when Mario got hurt, he limped around until he stopped to make Goomba Stew?
Yeah I would like that, and that would be called Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, and Mario and Luigi. Okay, jokes aside I get you're talking about the platformer. But I still stand on that I find the direction entertaining and interesting.
>>
File: Smb2_comparison[1].png (4 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
Smb2_comparison[1].png
4 KB, 256x224
>>341496054
Yes, we were happy with a Mario game where getting coins didn't give you a 1-up, where Super Mushrooms only upgraded your hit points, where you couldn't stomp on enemies.
>>
>>341494194
>You don't find the parts in between dungeons a boring slog in 3D Zeldas?

Only in the weaker games in the series. Games like Wind Waker have too much down time but plenty of other games have loads of neat shit in between, like Majora's Mask or basically any of the gameboy Zeldas.

>How did they fuck it up then? We're the dungeons just garbage? Or was there not enough of them?

The game was designed for casuals first and foremost, that was a big reason it stank so much.

Really when I imagine "Zelda game except the entire world is a dungeon", I basically just imagine Metroid.
>>
I don't know if it'll be good, it might not be, but I'm just glad they aren't copying LttP/OoT for the millionth time
>>
>>341495357
>>341496418
You already have fire arrows though, this serves literally no purpose. It's one of those "I'll kill this weak enemy in a joke way" items.
>>
>>341494349
But Zelda has the shittiest exploration ever. There are literally dozens of games that do it better. It hasn't ever HAD good exploration. And that is including stuff like LttP and Zelda 1.
>>
>>341494883
You can't read. I am saying it isn't too busy. That is the problem. I want it to be as fun as 2D games, but it can't be, because of the way perspective works.

I can't have 3 guys on this screen, and three guys on the other screen, because that is essentially 6 guys on this screen.
>>
>>341480687
>Okay, we've made the exact same formulaic zelda for well over 10 years now. Skyward Sword was pretty god damn divisive actually.
>Oh, what about A Link Between Worlds, that seemed pretty fresh, and people liked it when we strayed away from the formula.
> Then let's see how far we can stray. Fund it.
Honestly, it reminds me of a 3D Zelda 1.
>>
>>341497275
Technically speaking, fire arrows and bouncing fireballs serve two different purposes. One fires in a most straight line over a long distance, whereas the other can arc over obstacles in your way.
In any case, you need to understand, you're literally complaining that the game is giving you multiple options to solve open-ended problems, in whichever ways you might find most enjoyable.
>>
>>341483467
are you really acting like zelda took skill at any point? I literally cannot with you
>>
>>341496948
And if this wasn't the first mainline Zelda console game in 5 years I think I'd be okay with it too. I didn't mind Hyrule Warriors. I'm not averse to the series trying something new on principle.

It's just, I was looking forward to another Zelda game. Not Dark Souls in Zelda clothes. I loved the open world idea but why couldn't it just have been "bigger, less linear Ocarina/TP/SS"? Why did it have to become something so completely different from all of its predecessors, abandoning all of its goofy vidya-aware charm in favor of a lame attempt at a realistic survival-crafting thing?

I'm glad other people are excited for it but to me it feels like something that's stepped so far that it's Zelda-in-name-only.
>>
>>341480687
>Skyrim is pretty much the most innovative RPG in decades
>Zelda copying it and improving it with their own takes on the formula

This is bad, how?
>>
>>341496163
How is the point of the game a grind when looking for secrets (literally walking around smacking every rock or tree) fun?
>>
>>341496418
This. And I don't exactly see on how people perceive it as impractical. What's that? A lot of enemies are crowded at a chokepoint, but there's flammable objects nearby? Do we just fight them with your sword and shield? No, use the Goddamn Fire Rod.

>>341497275
It could cut corners considering it bounces and spreads fire and if you want to spread fire more quickly, use the Fire Rod.
>>
File: 5.png (508 KB, 555x555) Image search: [Google]
5.png
508 KB, 555x555
>>341480687
>Thread claiming 2 games that are mechanically different are the same thing
Look Anon, I posted it again
>>
>>341497162
And Metroid is a good game. I guess I just want that.

I just can't help but feel they learned the wrong lesson from all this.
>>
>>341496956
Super Mario Bros 3 is uncontroversially the superior game, though, and it went back to the way the original played.
>>
>>341480687
this is the most Zelda like game since forever most the 3d titles take after the second one.
>>
>>341498030
Because I don't like Skyrim. It seems tedious. Zelda isn't an RPG either, so it's RPG aspects would've been better off removed than expanded upon.
>>
>Invent open world
>People mad when you do it again 30 years later

You had your chance. With your broken-ass Fallouts and stiff Witchers.

Now the chickens have come home to roost.
>>
>shitposters so assblasted they completely misrepresent everything to keep shitposting

It's only fun if there's a grain of truth you can exaggerate on OP
>>
File: le workaholics face.jpg (8 KB, 250x334) Image search: [Google]
le workaholics face.jpg
8 KB, 250x334
>>341498030
>Skyrim is pretty much the most innovative RPG in decades
This is bait, right?
>>
>>341495143
It's a test, something that people like you haven't understood yet. This game is one of the most ambitious games that has ever been made by a game company, because it wants to be huge, with actual level design (and not procedural bullshit), have a story, a background, and try things with the environment to become a major new experience for any seasoned player.
Just thinking of how many possibilities there will be to take down a boss, is mind blowing actually. Zelda had become a very linear no fun allowed game with puzzle bosses having only one solution (use this item to reveal the weak spot). Here, they clearly try to break the linearity of the series by giving to the player endless possibilities.

It's something that's never been done before. TES has exploration, but also limited interactions with the environments and the possibilities only revolve around the gameplay itself. HL 2 had a great level of interactivity thanks to Valve's physic engine, but the size of the levels made it so that you could experiment, but with only few situations to experiment on. BoW tries to add both and see what sticks.

I really think that it is about to set new standards by challenging the pre-established 3D adventure game settings, by bringing back the interactivity in 3D environments. Sure they sacrificed part of the looks, but the level of interaction and how multiple elements can produce a chain reaction is absolutely stunning.
>>
>>341498567
>It's a test
It's not a test if someone else already did it. Then it's just a copy cat.
>>
File: 1437174782716.jpg (9 KB, 400x273) Image search: [Google]
1437174782716.jpg
9 KB, 400x273
Did you never play the original or actually dick around on the Great Sea in Wind Waker?
>>
>how about if we remove shitty linear storytelling about collecting 3 items, then another 3 to defeat ganondorf tired rehashed formula that has been since ALttP and instead make something new?

Heaven's forbid
>>
>Nintendo actually puts some work into breathing life into an old IP that /v/ has been bitching about for years
>/v/ bitches anyway
>>
>>341498567
Finicky physics solutions are almost always a waste of time and frustrating. You are better off shooting fire at the bad guy than shooting it at a tree hoping it'll collapse on the bad guy.
>>
File: 1461023351400.jpg (69 KB, 640x628) Image search: [Google]
1461023351400.jpg
69 KB, 640x628
>game follows the usual zelda forumla
>"WOW FUCKING REHASH BRAVO NINTENDO"

>new game includes world
>"WOW NINTENDO LOST ALL THEIR CHARM FUCKIN SKYRIM COPY"

can we just rename this board "/V/eoGaf" and leave?
>>
>>341498886
Haven't people even been bitching that it should go back to its roots? That's what they did.
>>
>>341498774
>You can explore in these games
>Thus it's exactly the same as a game that makes dungeons optional and just has you dicking around collecting toys until you feel like ending the game already

Zelda always had dicking around, but that didn't use to be the major focus.
>>
File: 1465585222269.png (144 KB, 279x325) Image search: [Google]
1465585222269.png
144 KB, 279x325
>>341480949
spot on boy
>>
>>341498774
I liked the Great Sea a lot to be honest, but people hated it. And given how much people hated it, I am shocked how positive the response is to all this.

But since I can't devote so much time to faffing around in a game, I'd rather they make the good part of Zelda better and remove the bad part of it than try to make the bad part of Zelda better.
>>
>cutting grass doesn't solve all your problems in the new Zelda game

I almost can't believe Aonuma made it.
>>
>>341499071
By the same principle when shit does work it's all the more satisfying
case in point
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnP2p3otJBQ
>>
>>341499448
I LOVED sailing until a quarter of the way through the game, when I discovered that nearly all the islands were just tiny rocks and when I got sick of stopping to play a song so I could change direction.
>>
>>341480949
kill yourself nigger
>>
>>341498012
We've not seen the NPCs nor any town yet. But you can't reallistically ask for "bigger, less linear Ocarina/TP/SS" without introducing a bit more complexity in a series mainly based on using unique items in 3D puzzles.
If you want to make it bigger, you need a great amount of rewards to keep de player entertained, something that you can't maintain with unique items.

Zelda games were already criticized for having puzzles revolving mostly around a single item instead of putting to use what you had found so far. The physic puzzles solve this problem quite well by giving to the player not items mostly used for a single purpose, but tools with which he can play with the environment.

The idea itself is far from stupid, but I'm not convinced Nintendo knows exactly what they are doing. But the sandbox aspect will clearly be glorious. You'll find for years new Webm/videos showing exploits, funny things to do with the environment, creative ideas to travel, exploit weakness, while still having a great deal of scenarised things to do.

I really think it's clearly a big step for video game in general that happened to have a Zelda face.
>>
>MurielsMacaroni.png
>>
>>341499735
Sure. And I like fucking around in other games, messing with physics engines. But I didn't need it in Zelda and I am not gonna pretend that PHYSICS+OPEN WORLD is something to get excited about.

Open world means long stretches between anything interesting unless you make your own fun. And physics means your moves are unreliable.
>>
File: the price was too high.jpg (51 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
the price was too high.jpg
51 KB, 640x960
>>341480687
Finally someone who I can agree with.
For fucks sake, that game can be awesome and everything, ok, but it is NOT zelda. People now are blind because they can finally say "fuck you" to elder scrolls fans and all the others that pestered them for years with "no open world for nintentoddlers", but they fail to see what they have lost in order to achieve this "victory".
Videogame "fans" are really stupid.
This is like "hey Beethoven, nice music, but you don't have the GANGSTA FLOW AHAHAHAAH!". Then Beethoven proceeds to become a gangsta rapper, every fan goes wild because they finally have their Classic Gangsta Rap but they will never get to listen to the 9th symphony.
Fuck this gay earth.
>>
>>341500363
Not necessarily

HL2's physics were flawless

I didn't see anything that could be attributed to the game fucking up from the streams at E3

What's even more surprising is that the game didn't glitch out like every other Open world game
>>
>Add an open world to your simplified puzzle-based dungeon crawl
>"IT'S NOT ZELDA ANYMORE!"

wat
>>
>>341500413
>but they fail to see what they have lost in order to achieve this "victory".

Care to explain exactly what was lost here?
>>
File: 1465919200564.png (404 KB, 631x627) Image search: [Google]
1465919200564.png
404 KB, 631x627
>>341480687
>this game
>resembling Skyrim
>Skyrim, where everything is tacked on, stiff, and disconnected
>BotW, where every new element is cohesive and functional
>babbies thinking Zelda was always a hand-holding on-rails slog
>implying Majora didn't have a Swiss Army knife of tools and different pathways open to the player from the start
>implying "Hoot, did you catch all that? No or yes?" is interesting dialogue

Every argument and complaint for the lack of a female Link was successfully dismissed, so now SJWs are conjuring up illusory tertiary issues for why this game will bad.
>>
>>341480687
But OP it looks nothing like Skyrim except maybe for the minimalist UI
>>
>>341498767
There's never been a 3D AAA game trying to think both the environment and the physic engine. It's quite experimental actually. Letting the player choose his means to progress in a fully designed environment without using stat and class based archetypes, is quite a test actually.
>>
>>341480687

I wish these shitposters would kill themselves already
>>
>>341480687
ZELDA CYCLE
>>
>>341500880
Adding an open world to a game where every time spent outside of a dungeon sucks? Yeah, it is ruined. They should've just made 20 good dungeons.
>>
>>341500413
Finally someone who I can agree with.
For fucks sake, that game can be awesome and everything, ok, but it is NOT mario. People now are blind because they can finally say "fuck you" to elder scrolls fans and all the others that pestered them for years with "no open world for nintentoddlers", but they fail to see what they have lost in order to achieve this "victory".
Videogame "fans" are really stupid.
This is like "hey Beethoven, nice music, but you don't have the GANGSTA FLOW AHAHAHAAH!". Then Beethoven proceeds to become a gangsta rapper, every fan goes wild because they finally have their Classic Gangsta Rap but they will never get to listen to the 9th symphony.
Fuck this gay earth.
>>
>>341501269
So Zelda should just be level based instead and drop everything except dungeons.
Just completely change the game in the opposite direction because fuck improvement.
>>
File: warping.jpg (387 KB, 1000x1124) Image search: [Google]
warping.jpg
387 KB, 1000x1124
Btw fast travel is confirmed.
>>
>>341501589
That's not much of a shocker, it has been a standard since the first game.

I guess it's a surprise that you seemingly start with it instead of having to get a special item for it.
>>
>>341494375
Sort of like how you can go to the final dungeon first in the legend of zelda if you know which bush to burn down?
>>
>>341501321
Admittedly, Mario 64 was a pretty bad Mario game. And most of the new games have changed the structure to be more like the older games.
>>
>faggots shitposting about "no story" in a Zelda game
>faggots shitposting about "muh linear gameplay"
>faggots shitposting about "DEY COPIED SKYRIM" despite Zelda being open world decades before that

Get fucked faggots, modern Nintendo might be shit but they can still occasionally deliver good games despite their completely ass backwards business decisions.
>>
>>341501269
People don't seem to realize how good level design is hard to achieve. Skyrim and Oblivion's cave are mostly the same because it is easier to achieve than thinking a 3D environment without "paths to follow".

If you try to make 20 "good" dungeons, half of those will have quality issues and the player will only remember the 3-5 good ones. Using the overworld for a good build-up before the well designed dungeons and you'll remember well the different dungeons because of all the side activities that you did before reaching the good bits.
It's a question of pace. A good game needs relaxing moments between the exciting ones.
>>
>>341501572
Correct. It would be improving it though.

Or even better, instead of adding a bunch of tedious shit to the overworld, make the overworld interesting by any other means than more inventory, physics and empty space.
>>
>game massively adds onto series formula with stealth elements, monster climbing, loot system, additional combat mechanics and open world while retaining series trademarks like horseback riding, dungeons, puzzles, towns, NPCs, and visual style
>wow they ruined the series wtf nintendo how dare you betray the fans
>game throws away established gameplay and narrative style to ape Dark Souls and TLOU
>this game finally made me care about God of War, bravo Santa Monica, my wife's son will love playing Kratos' wife's son :^)
>>
>>341502850
>make the overworld interesting by any other means than more inventory, physics and empty space.

Seems like they've added a lot. What do you think would make it better?
>>
>>341480687
>first open-world Zelda since TLoZ on the NES
>people are bitching about it
If you don't like this, you have awful taste in games. This is the ideal 3D Zelda. It is where Zelda should have gone back in the 90s.
>>
>>341502696
Then why is it something like a Mario game or Megaman game can be fun on every level without boring shit in between?

2D Zelda games were also better about this sort of thing, as the overworlds had tons of enemies.
>>
>>341503078
I personally think making Zelda a 2D only franchise and having each little bit of overworld having puzzles and monsters would've been enough.
>>
I'm convinced that nobody really dislikes this game, people just pretend to dislike it to be cool. because let's be honest, it looks incredibly fun. the graphics could use some work, but that's about it. I'm primarily a pc/ps4 player but I will be buying an nx for this game, this is exactly what I've wanted zelda to be like in 3d ever since the original.
>>
>>341503946
>Then why is it something like a Mario game or Megaman game can be fun on every level without boring shit in between?

Not him but not only are those completely different genres, they're also most notably completely different in length. If you're shooting for at least 30 hours of length, you've got to consider that kind of thing much more.

>>341504101
You're always going to have handheld Zeldas. Besides making it 2D only seems like a really regressive way of thinking about it, especially if the goal is to keep the series as a major flagship for Nintendo.
>>
>>341490543
it's even more free than the original zelda, apparently in this game you can actually go up and try to fight the final boss from the very beginning of the game.
>>
File: ocarina-of-time1.jpg (61 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
ocarina-of-time1.jpg
61 KB, 640x480
>WOW a big field, must be Skyrim
>>
>>341488662
dark souls is static, does that mean it has a bad story?
>>
>>341504675
I am not pretending, I am just worried. I really liked Link Between Worlds. I can't help but worry that this spells a completely new direction for all games in the franchise.

>>341504782
But is there any real reason for shooting for an arbitrarily long game length? Why NOT make a game that is just the good stuff?

And yeah, I guess that's a good point, people will always want more 3D Zeldas and it is a huge franchise. But that's all marketing. I don't care if 3D Zelda sells better if 2D Zeldas are better games.
>>
>>341505402
YES. I like Dark Souls but no one in their right mind plays it for a story or adventure. The lore is there, but it's just there for flavor.
>>
>>341504675
I can understand people being concerned. I'm concerned that the open world will get boring after the first hour or two like it does in nearly every other open world game, and I'm concerned there might be some of Nintendo's usual fuckery that keeps it from achieving it's maximum potential.

What I don't get are the people complaining about it being different. Tradition has been choking the life out of many of Nintendo's, I'll welcome damn near any change at this point as long as the game is fun.
>>
>>341494349
I started with Zelda 3, which I think had a nice mixture of the two (story/exploration), but the most important thing for me in a game has always been story.

Once you've explored what feels like Randomly Generated Dungeon #34 and acquired Generic Magic Sword #12, it just starts feeling repetitive, like there's no point.

I'm hoping it's not like Skyrim in that way. My instinct in these games is to do all the side quests and extra dungeons before I finish the main story line so I can beat the final boss with all the best gear. That's super satisfying. But in Skyrim, there's just so much to do, and it's all so similar to what you just did, that it becomes tedium.

Here's hoping BotW avoids that.
>>
>>341505328
keyword "big"

If you want to play it this way, why is OoT the reference? OoT is just a 3D version of LTTP, and so on and so forth
>>
>>341502025
Likely you start the game by finding the Slate or have it with you as a hand-me-down heirloom that suddendly activates.
>>
>>341503946
>2D Zelda games were also better about this sort of thing, as the overworlds had tons of enemies

Which you simply ran past and ignored unless they were blocking something important.
>>
>>341508494
each shrine gives you a special orb which you can use to spend for upgrades / new abilities in the overworld, iirc. for example to get the glider, you need to collect a few orbs (they didn't specify how many). so it's not like skyrim at all in that regard.
>>
>>341509102
Still better than vast patches of empty field.
>>
>>341508936
Exactly. Hyrule field has been in almost every major zelda game. What's the big deal?
Thread replies: 244
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.