[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Zelda: BotW confirmed to have literally no story whatsoever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 68
File: 1461742459464.png (851 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1461742459464.png
851 KB, 1024x1024
"Users may not actually get the full story depending on how they play this game and how they strategize and solve puzzles," producer Eiji Aonuma told Polygon. "Users are able to go to the very end goal without revealing why Link woke up the way he did and where he did. Whether you want to reveal the storyline and find out why Link woke up, or you want to just go straight to the goal, that's an option totally up to the user."

When asked, Aonuma confirmed that a player could go directly to the final boss of the game from its opening moments if they wanted. However, he also stressed that he didn't view this as an ideal way to play.

"Anybody who can go straight to the goal without doing anything else — there's two possibilities," Aonuma said. "Either they're a really good gamer, or they could be somebody that's a little bit crazy. But it's not impossible. I created the game like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_HXTt9YnUA

Dafuq is this game?
>>
>>341415393
>Dafuq

Epic reddit
>>
>>341415393
Is having the story/lore being completely optional supposed to be a bad thing?
I honestly like this idea.

Hopefully the final boss will be actually challenging and not piss easy like they usually are.
>>
>>341415393
It's a massive departure from the original Zelda formula, but what is that a bad thing? Finally Nintendo is introducing radical changes that aren't in the form of gimicky controllers. You should be happy. That entire quote seems like nothing but gold anyway, stop complaining
>>
>>341415393
This could be good, if the story is sort of told in a Dark Souls style: Lots of environmental storytelling, many hidden lore things hidden throughout the game, etc.
Or it could suck and there really is nothing there.
>>
>>341416027
Is there even another game out there which does this?
>>
>Being this retarded

>GUYS the story doesn't hold my hand and actually makes me do thing to figure it out therefore it literally has 0 story lmfao zeldafags BTFO
>>
>>341415393
It's like he searched the word "open world" up in a dictionary and then implemented that literally in the game.
>>
>>341416157
>It's a massive departure from the original Zelda formula, but what is that a bad thing?

Actually it's exactly like the first game. You could go straight to the end in that one if you were brave/stupid enough.

I didn't think they'd be so crazy to do something like this though. It's great.
>>
>>341416213
Dark souls does this frequently and there are regular debates about the story/lore etc.
>>
>>341415393
Sounds like a really cool and frankly quite original idea, but I LIKE the Zelda stories so I feel like I'll miss it. I think this is definitely gonna be the most "different" Zelda game released. As long as it's not tedious, it's bound to be a great game.
>>
>>341415393
If it's like the demo then your ipad will obviously give you hints on where to go next to advance the plot, so it's not like you have to worry about missing anything. There obviously IS a story, it's just "optional".

As for the final boss thing, presumably you could beeline straight to the endgame area (assuming someone tells you where exactly it is) and blast through it, but considering how we have HP counts in this game, and that one robot in the starter area had like 200 HP while very basic sword weapons do something like 2 per hit, it's probably insanely hard to do. Enemies in the last area probably have HP counts in the tens of thousands, and you'll probably need actual armor and shit or else everything will OHKO you. Not to mention sections with temperature variations that will constantly drain your HP. So like he said, it's possible, just insanely hard.
>>
>>341416354
Can't go straight to the final boss though, like you have to follow a couple steps before you can "clock" the game
>>
File: 1465932317324.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1465932317324.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>341415393
They went all out with the open world concept. Sounds great so far.
>>
>>341416354
But for me Zelda is not Dark Souls and the other way round. I'll defininitely miss my quirky characters and their interactions in a tight packed story.
>>
>>341416213
Chrono Trigger.
>>
So there will be shit like the pitch black cave in Zelda 2 you could complete without the torch except it's very hard, or the graveyard that has invisible enemies that you could technically beat without the cross that lets you see them.

Fucking awesome.
>>
>>341415393
>optional story
thank fucking god, looks like they learned their lesson after SS
>>
>WAAAAAAH EVERY NINTENDO GAME IS THE SAME
>WAAAAAAH THEY CHANGED THEIR FORMULA
Jesus christ what do you want?
>>
>>341416213
Bravely Default
>>
File: Garf.png (213 KB, 367x367) Image search: [Google]
Garf.png
213 KB, 367x367
>>341415393
This is just like Romancing Saga and I hate it.
>>
>>341416354
Dark souls has level design
>>
>>341416640
To complain.
>>
>>341416419
>but I LIKE the Zelda stories so I feel like I'll miss it.
Read the actual quote, he says there IS a story to be discovered, but you can totally bypass it and go straight to challenging the final boss if you're crazy enough.
>>
>>341416481
The quote doesn't say that though. Hes saying that there are story events that you can pass that would flesh out and fill in details
>>
>>341416640
A good game, nigga
>>
>>341416476
It will be cool to see people who can do minimalist speedruns. It's probably impossible to really go straight to the end without some gear and protection
>>
>>341416684
Puzzles requires level design.
>>
>>341415393
This game will hopefully be the crescendo in the open world craze. A massive game (while also being from a massively popular franchise) that gives you the freedom to do literally anything you want and go anywhere you want. It'll do open world to such a huge scale that no one will really do it again, so we'll have the open world games that are currently being made come out and soon we'll return to more linear gameplay and the meme will die. Sounds great, no downsides
>>
>>341415393
>no retarded story in the way
Excellent.
>>
>>341416759
I expect to see this game at AGDQ 2018 and it'll probably be some crazy shit to behold.
>>
>>341416806
>gives you the freedom to do literally anything you want and go anywhere you want
You mean Minecraft?
>>
>>341416884
I actually got Minecraft vibes from the tree cutting and cooking
>>
>>341416715
Nah I mean I like the straight up, head on corny Zelda stories where the helper fills you in and there's cutscenes and shit. Old school stories which are mildly forced upon you. Going out and figuring out the story from the surroundings is really cool sometimes, but I like how Zelda does it already, not sure why.

>>341416741
>When asked, Aonuma confirmed that a player could go directly to the final boss of the game from its opening moments if they wanted

>>341416884
I guess so, but the type of game is pretty different between this and minecraft. There's still a big bad to kill here, still an overarching goal to get to, you just choose how you get there. Minecraft is like the sims, the point of the game is to just exist and do shit.
>>
File: 1442423582463.jpg (31 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1442423582463.jpg
31 KB, 480x360
But background story with hidden lore that you're able to experience at your own pace is exactly what I've been wanting for years.
>>
>>341416957
I got MEAN MonHun 3U vibes from a couple moments like the cooking and the diving into the water
>>
>>341416234
pretty much OP being a baby faggot
>>
Fucking called this shit.

It's going back to Zelda 1 for real. It's not going to be full of cutscenes and exposition. It's just a big fucking world for you to explore.

Nintendo are smart, they realized going Skyward Sword with this game will only weigh the open world down. Zelda doesn't need much of a story, just like Mario doesn't. Your own exploration is the story here.

Thank you Nintendo
>>
>>341416027
>Travel empty world to collect data logs
>Revolution in gaming
>>
>>341417469
Everyone wanted it to be like Skyrim, Witcher and Dark Souls, and all these games have extensive stories. But when it won't have a story at all, I don't understand why everyone is fine with this design choice.
>>
File: Fragezeichemeitli.jpg (94 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Fragezeichemeitli.jpg
94 KB, 500x500
Will there be actual dungeons in this game, or will there only be those scattered shrines?
>>
>>341417705
As far as we know only the scattered shrines. At this point the dungeons are just rumors.
>>
>>341417705
They said Shrines are supplemental to Dungeons, but didn't say how many dungeons there are. I'd guess there are 1-2 dungeons per area, maybe more since some of those zones are fucking colossal. Not to mention bosses scattered around the open world not tied to dungeons.
>>
>>341417637
>But when it won't have a story at all
But it does, though. That's literally what this article is talking about. There are story beats, but you can skip past them if you want to.

>>341417705
>>341417763
They mentioned larger dungeons existed while they were playing through some of the shrines.
>>
>Not forcing you go through the motions of the story = no story

They literally say you would learn the story if you go through the game, just that you don't need to necessarily complete the story to approach the final boss. It's literally the same thing Chrono Trigger did.
>>
>>341417705
>>341417763
No, they specifically talked about dungeons somewhere in the 7 hour stream. They said that shrines and dungeons are different, and that there are dungeons more like what you're used to in Zelda games. As for shrines, there are over 100 of them scattered around.
>>
File: 1465741862689.jpg (188 KB, 749x903) Image search: [Google]
1465741862689.jpg
188 KB, 749x903
>>341416556
>Nintendo takes a brilliant risk, new Zelda looks terrific, a shiny diamond in a cesspool of rehashes, quirks, and cash-ins
>I'LL MISS THE SESAME STREET TIER DIALOGUE IN SKYWARD SWORD

kys, this is the Zelda that Nintendo should have made after Wind Waker. TP is solid but it's also the beginning of stagnation in the series. Every other main game in the series pushed the envelope.

Dark Souls is close to what Zelda could have been if Nintendo wasn't a refuge of childhood innocence for infantile Nintoddlers.

The new generation hardly plays Nintendo, they like mobile trash and Minecraft.
>>
Empty open world meme game by Nintendo
>>
>>341417938
Wow I'm starting to really dig this idea. This might actually going to be the best Zelda after MM.
>>
File: sophisticated adults.jpg (43 KB, 255x233) Image search: [Google]
sophisticated adults.jpg
43 KB, 255x233
>>341415393
>Zelda: BotW confirmed to have literally no story whatsoever
>Posts quote from Aonuma that says the game has story

why is /v/ so legit retarded?

>Dafuq

oh, it's not /v/
>>
>>341415393
>Reading comprehension

They just say you could skip anything story related if you don't care, which is fine by me.
I absolutely love how in this game you're into the game after 30 seconds and free to do whatever, unlike Twlight Princess that I will never play again because the beginning is ball busting.
>>
I hope this game captures the feel of a virgin SotC playthrough.

>>341418016
western open world games are usually lifeless and empty
eastern open world games are usally empty but at least feel like a lived in world
>>
>>341416213
Morrowind kind of.
>>
>>341415393
God dammit im already tired of seeing Zelda threads
>>
>>341415393
>it's okay when Dark Souls does it
>>
>>341417637
It does, its just not spoonfed to you, like looking for daedra and shit in skyrim
>>
File: Great.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Great.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>341417938
>>341417837
>>341417835

Guy who asked the question here, that's a fucking relief.
>>
>>341418220
Make your own anonymous imageboard then and impose your nazi rules on it. So you can see the crap you like whenever you like.
>>
File: embarrassing.png (134 KB, 334x393) Image search: [Google]
embarrassing.png
134 KB, 334x393
>>341415393
>Zelda: BotW confirmed to have literally no story whatsoever

>Whether you want to reveal the storyline and find out why Link woke up, or you want to just go straight to the goal, that's an option totally up to the user.

You're actually, legitimately retarded OP.
>>
>>341418152
>implying
Witcher 3 felt a lot more alive than MGSV. Japs can't into Open World
>>
>>341417705
Shrines are what you explore the "empty" world for. They're abundant, and come with many rewards. We've seen small rewards like crafting materials for whatever you're able to craft in this game, and we've seen more significant stuff like the time stop ability is something you get out of a shrine. Given how many random toys we've seen in Link's tool box at this point, I imagine a lot of them are gotten through shrines.

Dungeons however are still there as the significant story pieces and much more elaborate traditional zeldas ending in a boss.
>>
>>341418381
>counting glorious slav coding as 'western'
>>
Theres always a catch.
>>
>>341418452
West refers to anything that's not moon runes pretty much. Fuck, even Russia is considered a western dev.
>>
>>341416476
Remember, there's no levelling, just equipment. All you need to do is sneak up on a sleeping mook camp in the final area, steal a sword, and bam, you're at the lowest end of endgame damage already.
>>
>>341416584
No, not so fast CTfags. Nobody fucking actually faces the boss upfront on a first play through, hell, NG+ doesn't even unlock unless you beat the game "normally" first and then go back with your overpowered gear after that. The game otherwise isn't any more non-linear than any other Square RPG and only opens up near the end, otherwise it's entirely a straight line from place to place. The whole thing is a post game gimmick.
>>
So you can finish the game at any time and the devs assume you will automate sidequests while knowing this, knowing that the end goal is literally achieveable at any time.

Who play tested this shit? What a stupid, stupid model
>>
>>341418453
You can't get the true ending
>>
>>341416354
Majora's Mask did this. 80% of the game is optional and exists so you can get better endings post game.
>>
I don't get the people who are against this.

You want the game to force you to do story and side missions?
>>
>>341418652
Are you joking? There are story beats to find and shrines to explore and you expect me NOT to going looking for them just because I could go fight Ganon at any time?
You could get your shit pushed in by Lavos whenever you wanted in Chrono Trigger too, was that a stupid model?
>>
So... How exactly does beelining straight for Ganon and killing him without finding the blade of evil's bane work, exactly? Pretty sure that's supposed to be impossible.
>>
>>341418646
This is the exact reason why I fear the game will be a total mess in terms of progression and pacing.
>>
>>341416619
OoT also did this with the Lens of Truth.
>>
>>341415393
>Dafuq is this game?

Xenoblade chronicles X: zelda edition
>>
It just hit me. This is a good looking game but why is it Zelda exactly? If it was a new IP it would be just as good.
>>
>>341418646
Now hold on, There's no levelling in the demo, sure, but they've explicitly mentioned they disabled certain features for the purpose of the E3 build. Every time they got a spirit orb, they mentioned they had a very important purpose in the full game, and considering there's supposed to be 100+ of the fucking things, I have little doubt it's tied to making Link more powerful in some way.
>>
File: misakamisakamisaka.jpg (67 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
misakamisakamisaka.jpg
67 KB, 1280x720
>>341415393
That would be impossible unless you know what you need or how to do it, or where to go.

So that means you have to finish the game in order to do that. So it adds a repetitive element to the game itself. Like "Oh, so if I did this at the very start, I could finish the entire game easy".
>>
>>341418820
They said you could do it IF you knew how. I assume your main goal is finding the Master Sword.
>>
>>341418820
has it been confirmed that it's Ganon yet?

>>341418949
Why not, I guess. People love Zelda games, it's easier to make, it'll be easier to sell, it won't be accused of being a Zelda clone (it'd barely have to be similar at all to seem like a Zelda clone if it was nintendo who were making it), plus there's a long history of pedigree with Zelda games. The teams are used to working together and making a certain product.
>>
>>341418807
>You could get your shit pushed in by Lavos whenever you wanted in Chrono Trigger too, was that a stupid model?

Yes, as I explained before, the only way to beat Lavos early is to spend a bazzillion hours grinding out at the starting area, or to carry over your shit from NG+.
>>
>>341418949
To be fair is the closest a 3D zelda game has come to being like OG zelda

>Litterally start the game and immediately begin exploring
>only NPCs are old men giving you shit
>>
>>341418949
>why is it Zelda exactly?

How is is not Zelda exactly? This is more Zelda than Zelda has been for over a decade.
>>
>>341419321
That doesn't make any sense. Are you saying Zelda is just the first game and the other eight billion or so games are a "departure" rather than the norm?
>>
>>341415393
that sounds fuckin sweet
>>
This could honestly be the first Zelda game I'm interested in since Wind Waker.
>>
>>341417996
>a shiny diamond in a cesspool of rehashes, quirks, and cash-ins
They're like every other game company then?
>>
So where do you think this game is placed? From the looks of the monsters and the old man that's obviously Hyrule's King it looks like it's in the far future of WW and its DS sequels.
>>
>>341415393

So it's similar to majaora's mask?
>>
sounds like Dark Souls to me

I would much rather have that than fucking 1 hour intro skyward sword. There is a story it's just minimal. You're obivously waking up in hyrtule to kill ganon or some shit, it's just Zelda 1's story.
>>
>less story and cinematics
Is this the rebirth of game play??
>>
>>341419235
Yeah, but you could still do it.
Aonuma says you'd have to be fucking crazy to try and fight Ganon early too, so it's probably the same kind of thing where he would completely wreck you instantaneously without shitloads of planning and skill.
>>
>>341416640
All I want is another Wind Waker to be honest.
>>
>>341418820
What they mean is you won't be railroaded into cutscenes and given way points that tell you "This is where you need to go next" setting up invisible walls until you do something. The cutscenes will still exist, but if you know where all the items you'll need are, you can get all the vital stuff to do the final dungeon and boss and do it before even clearing the first dungeon.
>>
>>341419213
Framed like that, that's true of all games, though. You can kill Demise right away in Skyward Sword, provided you do all of the things you have to do before you can kill Demise first.
>>
>>341416213
The Legend of Zelda
>>
>>341419221
>has it been confirmed that it's Ganon yet?
Yes. The Sheikah sages all refer to him when you clear their shrines.
More specifically, Nintendo is calling him "CALAMITY GANON", which is about the raddest shit ever.
>>
>>341419558
I can already hear the shitposting in the distance.

>Holy shit fighting Ganon at the earliest opportunity is INSANE!
>LOL HE COULDN'T BEAT GANON WHAT A CASUAL, HE'S ACTUALLY REALLY REALLY EASY (btw I haven't played the game)

Much like every challenging Souls boss.
>>
>>341416213
Myst, well one of them I think.
>>
It's like Fallout.
Tbh I never was a big Zelda fan but I did play most of them, if there isn't a 3 hour long handholding tutorial might get a Wii U for this and Smash
>>
I hope we get new bosses.
The golem dude was so cool and cute at the same time.
>>
>>341416640
I just want Link to be a shota again.
>>
>>341418820
There's nothing stopping you from finding the Master Sword first instead of working your way towards it area by area.
>>
>final boss roams the open world
>can fight him with wooden sword and 3 hearts

hype
>>
Do you think Link is clone or not? The computer(?) wakes him up and says Hyrule needs him again. Either they put a past Link to stasis to be woken up when neeed or they were like "oh shit things are bad again but we don't have a Link anymore. Wait, let's clone us one from old data!"
>>
Does it really matter how fast you can finish it? It's up to you how you want to go about things. It seems the only reason people would care is because they care how other people would play own their game, which is insane.
>>
like zelda 1 I guess.
while he say "you can go to the last boss " I believe that's an hyperbole, as the last dungeon requires the rune powers, and you also need the parachute to leave the plateau.
>>
>>341416619
Hell yes Famicom that AoL stuff was the tightest. That one OP quote above has, along with earleir footage sealed my buying of this game and whatever dead/new system will run it best.
>>
We want the SotC audience
>>
>>341417637
Dark Souls has a lot more in common with this form of storytelling.
>>
>>341419989
But SotC was just "we want the Zelda audience".
>>
I love getting to piece the story together myself from small details over a long adventure. It's a kind of mysterious, ambient storytelling only video games can pull off. I loved all the story of Bloodborne, even though most of the important events of the story had already happened before the game starts, you could only wade through the aftermath and draw your own conclusions.

I don't expect Breath of the Wind to have that much in way of backstory, but I'm sure it will be touching. I bet there was is Dark Souls influence on the dev team, which is cool since the Souls games owe at least some credit to Zelda.
>>
>>341419989
Considering SotC will never get a sequel, I'm very okay with this.
>>
Is the article editorialising? They say he confirmed you can bypass the whole game and head straight into the last battle from the starting area, but the actual quote just says you can "go straight to the goal". Is there a full context available?

If they are, I presume there are certain necessary steps and you can just ignore all of the lead-in and objectives being marked and whatever, but you still have to do certain things like clear specific dungeons and get the Master Sword.
>>
>>341419738
>There's an early Ganon fight midway through the game's storyline you're supposed to lose
>It's actually possible to beat him to skip to a later story mission, but he's just really fucking difficult

That would be fucking awesome.
>>
>>341419396
Okay, here's how it works.

This game is basically an ACTUAL SEQUEL, while every other Zelda was, more or less, variations on the original theme.

Every other Zelda just iterated on the basic framework of the original game. Always (usually, anyway) 8 dungeons, items in the dungeons, usually a gimmick to give you something new to do. They added their own spin to the original game's themes, without ever really touching on why they're there to begin with. None of the Zelda games thus far really ask what it means to be a Zelda game.

This game DOES, as pretentious as that might sound.

This new game might have dungeons and key items and a final boss that may or may not turn into a pig, but ultimately, it's trying to figure out exactly what Zelda is ABOUT. Really digging deep down into the spark that the original game is trying to evoke, and bringing it into the modern day.

If you can imagine the first Zelda is a window pane in a house, every other Zelda thus far have just been progressively shinier curtains. Maybe a windowsill planter or some of those plastic see-through stickers with animals on them. It looks different, but it's fundamentally the same.

Breath of the Wild is building an entirely new window. One that's actually up to code, using modern materials.
>>
>>341420284
Haven't you been reading, Aonuma said it's possible to go to the last boss relatively straight away. I doubt there will be a scripted encounter.
>>
>>341420197
shit journos interpretation. we saw in the first gameplay that the game has some sort of guidance and I'm sure he's talking about jumping from those objectives to another without doing the non-rune shrines and exploration.
Can't see accessing the last battle without meeting zelda for instance. It's kind of like Oblivion.
>>
>>341419568
>all I want is another rushed game with cut content, extreme padding and shit dungeons

Okay?
>>
>>341419450
>>341419932
>WW is like that because there was no Link to save their asses so the only solution was to flood the whole world
>To not repeat the same thing the elders decide to cryofreeze/clone him
>>
>>341420436
>I doubt there will be a scripted encounter.

Oh okay since you say so I guess there won't be one. Retard.
>>
>>341420506
Don't forget no real overworld. Every island except like 4 is a fly's shit in size and the rest is water.
>>
>>341415393
He straight up says that there is a story, but you can skip all of it to get to the final boss. You a dumbass.
>>
File: 1344152980004.gif (2 MB, 235x240) Image search: [Google]
1344152980004.gif
2 MB, 235x240
I think this is the approach we all wanted for Zelda titles.
When first few games came out, and by extension OOT, what drew us in as little kids was the whole sense of adventure and stuff.
Zelda lost that sense over time. Nintendo games became more hand-holdey, the game worlds didn't really grow together with the technology that allowed it.
I fucking hated SS so much. I couldn't get myself to even play it to the end. The hand-holding, the linearity (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it was so poorly done in SS), not to mention the fucking generic Japanese high-school trope in a motherfucking Zelda game.

If they can pull off this game world without sacrificing much in terms of dungeons and towns, it'll be the sort of game we always wanted.
>>
>>341416213
literally all the good LoZ games did that
>>
File: 1252318673242.jpg (23 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1252318673242.jpg
23 KB, 550x550
>>341420594
It's an open world game where you can do what you want.
We've heard it's possible to miss the story depending on how you play.
We've heard you can go to the last boss early on if you want to.

I'd say expecting a scripted "you have to lose" encounter is way more retarded than expecting there not to be one. Retard.
>>
>>341416837

>feel like playing TP again
>hours of snoozefest cutscenes
>feel like play Botw again
>instantly get into game no cutscene bullshit

best 3D zelda perhaps?
>>
>>341420506
>shit dungeons
You've gone too far anon. Wind Waker was 2 dungeons short of feeling like a completed game and the tri force hunt, while putting to use the exploration aspect, was a really lame way to pad out the time, but god damn it had good dungeons.

I'll agree that I wish there was more of it, but dungeons and towns was Wind Wakers strong suit.
>>
It's kinda good, actually. It's up to you to know the lore and hidden shit, unlike having a linear story with fucking boundaries here and there. Like skyrim's "you cannot go there". Fuck.

I kind of like this, actually.
>>
>>341420594
>Making an educated guess based on information available means you're retarded

Classic /v/.
>>
>>341420872
lol WW dungeons are utter fucking dogshit, and I'm not talking about the number of dungeons.

>towns
Like Windfall island and...
>>
>>341416213
OoT if you wrong warp to ganons castle
>>
>>341416027
The Demise fight in SS was difficult as fuck, and I imagine it will be the same here. Besides, with the armor/weapon progression system, it's very likely that the final boss would be able to one shot you AND take about an hour to kill.
>>
>>341416213
Metroid Prime. (In fact, what they're doing here is giving me Metroid Prime storytelling vibes)
>>
What happened to that new 3DS IP they were going to announce? Some RPG?
>>
>>341420958
I never got where this meme that WW has good dungeons and TP doesen't came from. Did some youtube reviewer say it at one point or what?
The dungeons in WW have verticality, most rooms feel different from each other and you need to use a number of items outside of the dungeon's gimmick in order to solve the puzzles. Meanwhile TP is a straight run to the dungeon's item, and then a run back to use it on every puzzle which only required that one specific item that you never used again. Is this an aesthetic thing? I honestly do not get it
>>
>>341416027
I hope the game will actually be more challenging. I liked what I saw in the gameplay stream but it might just be due to doing this out of order for presentation purposes.

>At max health of 3 hearts
>Eat meat to boost your maximum hearts to 6 temporarily
>Get hit by a laser beam
>Lose 5.5 hearts
>>
>>341421190
fuck, I meant to say this meme that TP has good dungeons and WW doesen't, I am retarded
>>
File: not_suspicious_at_all.jpg (67 KB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
not_suspicious_at_all.jpg
67 KB, 854x480
The final boss of the game can be fought immediately because the final boss ins't Ganon.
>>
>>341421206
I felt quite pleased at the fact that they seemed to get killed relatively often. I hope they fully intend it to be hard, or at least give us a hard mode from the get-go.
>>
>>341421013
Are you being serious right now? I don't want to be the "lol that fight is actually easy :-)" shitter but I distinctly remember the Demise fight being a major letdown because of how easy it was. I completely expected another form when I finished him because of how quick it happened but it was just over and I was like "o-oh". Even Ghirahim before him was more of a challenge.
>>
>>341421350
Hard mode is just wearing boxers. I mean with gear it's one of those games where you can make it more challenging if it feels too easy.
>>
>>341421324
Can you hit him, he seemed to react when link got a bomb out?
>>
>>341415393
and thats bad because you want 40 hours of cutscene forced escort missions and annoying story?
>>
>>341421278
It doesn't. They offer no challenge, and the "puzzles" are the most brain dead in the series
>>
>>341421324
I bet that's Daphnes.
I've thought it would be cool if having Ganon appear in a Zelda game, but not as an antagonist. They made him a somewhat sympathetic villain in WW, and with Demise being a thing they could easily for example claim that Ganon was but a vessel for Demise, and have them split apart. Ganondorf then turns out to be a pretty decent guy.
>>
>>341421484
In the first stream the dude hit the old man with a burning stick and he was just like "cut that out" or something. I don't think he actually got damaged. But improvement over NPCs not reacting at all.
>>
>>341421602
The worst part is that TP puzzles, while not hard, take time so they feel like annoying busywork. Like lugging the cannon balls around in the ice dungeon.
>>
>>341421186
It'll be shown today. They have another 8 hour Treehouse stream for non-Zelda titles.
>>
>>341421602
I don't even know which of the two games you are talking about. WW may have been easy but TP held your hand through the entirety of the game
>>
>>341421353
>>341421013

It's fairly difficult if you don't skyward strike him and force yourself to parry everything, especially if you don't have the Hylian Shield so there's a risk of losing your shield, but yeah he wasn't THAT hard. Also a bit disappointing at having one form. Might have been more of a serious challenge if you do a three heart run though.
>>
>>341421753
I'm not defending TP, I'm saying WW's dungeons were terrible.
>>
>>341421646
>old man reacts to when you attack him, not hurt but wants you to cut it out

It really is a looking at Zelda 1 for inspiration....
>>
>I don't have to experience the story so it has no story

Fuck you're an idiot.
>>
The game looks like it will be amazing. One of the things I'm afraid of though is an empty overworld. Just slapping some trees in the field doesn't cut it. It needs more flora (besides grass and trees) and fauna. Just make it feel like a living world. Not a SOTC type overworld that is devoid of almost anything. I want to have shit to do and explore.
The reason Morrowind was so great is that there was something interesting around every corner, even though the surface of the world was small as fuck. Not that every cave or dungeon was interesting, or that there was even anything to find everywhere, but all of the world was an interesting place to explore. It felt alive and natural. And because of the terrain design, they made the relatively small area feel incredibly complex and maze-like. I'd like to see Nintendo taking some cues from that approach in making the Zelda overworld.
>>
>>341421935
There actually will be people saying the game has no story, becaus they won't have the motivation to explore everything and every part of the world.
>>
>>341421013
>>341421353
>>341421764
Unlike every 3D fight with Ganondorf, defeating Demise requires skill and dexterity. If you're not good and fast at aiming your blows, you can't break his guard and you get shocked by lightning. The other Ganny just has you tapping A or B at the right moment, or using the right item.
>>
File: 1447433735161.png (158 KB, 339x454) Image search: [Google]
1447433735161.png
158 KB, 339x454
>>341415393
Absolutely fucking based.

Zelda is saved.
>>
>>341416354
please stop reducing all games to the mediocre dungeon crawler that is dark souls
>>
>>341416419
just don't skip the content like a casual and you'll get the story
>>
>>341421324
>that nose
Welp, he really is Ganon
>>
>>341422021
I think the main reasoning is because Epona is very very fast in this game. You won't really get the same sense of adventure if you're stopping every 2 seconds to dismount and move a rock.

Remember, the main issue with WW is that the ocean looks exactly the same wherever you go. If the environment requires actual traversing I don't mind how far apart the eventflags are.
>>
>>341420825
I swore to never replay TP when that godawful puzzle popped out of nowhere right when you were about to finally get the fucking Master Sword.
>>
>>341421186
I wouldn't get too excited. Nintendo consider anything with Miis a "new IP"
>>
Fuck, I love these kinds of approach in games. Always something new to discover and you always get suprised. I wish more games do that.
>>
>>341422406
The ocean was great. It allowed for randomly placed, minor sidestuff making the world feel alive. It didn't force you to go through every minigame and all the other secondary content like SS. You could just stumble upon it and feel like you discovered something.
>>
>Story/lore is for you to find
This is my favorite form of story telling in video games. It helps that it takes advantage of the unique interactivity vidya has as a medium. Loved this shit in Souls, SMT, and TES. I can't believe it, but this game stole E3 for me.
>>
>Game still has a villain hounding you
>Evil demon lord pops up whenever you've taken damage while out adventuring and attacks you
>>
>>341422551
And unlike all that garbage, Zelda plots are generally comprehensible and not lodged way too far up its own arse.

Although I'm still expecting lots of bullshit like "50 million years ago something happened and that's why things are as they are"
>>
>>341422686
Zelda's been getting a bit up its own arse for the past couple games, don't pretend like Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword weren't self congratulatory wankfests
>>
>>341422686
>SMT
>garbage
come on now
>>
File: 1447440280409.gif (372 KB, 555x666) Image search: [Google]
1447440280409.gif
372 KB, 555x666
>>341422686
>Zelda plots are generally comprehensible and not lodged way too far up its own arse.
Skyward Sword was so far up its own ass I'm surprised it couldn't taste it.
>>
Plot twist, it's a remake of LoZ
>>
>>341422818
SMT is basically "God sure hates the Japanese"

>>341422945
Boy saves friend. Uses the Triforce to drop an island on someone. Did I miss anything?
>>
The spooky mysterious plot is just AYY LMAOS.

We all know this already.
>>
>>341416524
>1080
Why?
>>
>>341422970
Yes? Zelda 1 is so far removed from any of the other timelines it wouldn't really change anything.
>>
>>341415393
>"You can do the story or skip it."
>GUYS THE GAME DOESN'T HAVE A STORY!
Your bait is shit.
>>
>>341416213
I guess Soul Sacrifice. You can challenge the big bad guy almost immediately, although it's pretty much suicide.
>>
>>341420383
bow is a sequel to zelda 1
most other games are sequels to alttp
>>
>>341423210

You do have to finish the story to unlock the actual ending though, and finish the expansion story to unlock the TRUE ending.
>>
File: 1465942825864.jpg (91 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1465942825864.jpg
91 KB, 480x640
>>341415393
They made Zelda great again.
>>
So what items do you think will be superfluous this time around?

The Hookshot is going to be pointless since you can just climb the side of a fucking mountain. Even the double Hookshot seems pretty unlikely.
>>
>>341423515
>climb the side of a fucking mountain
Remember how annoying climbing was in TP? This climbing doesn't look much faster, and there's much more of it.
>>
>>341423998
+1
>>
>>341418901
>This is the exact reason why I fear the game will be a total mess in terms of progression and pacing.
But that is not unusual at all for gaming in general. If you know all he secrets in many games, it is common to have a way to quickly game power if you know where to go and what to do. But that require that you deliberately try to break the game's design and it isn't the game's fault that you look up tips online.
>>
>>341422525
Who says that they can't do the same here? We've barely seen the map and NPCs were disabled for the demo.
>>
>>341417637
>Everyone wanted it to be like Skyrim, Witcher and Dark Souls, and all these games have extensive stories
For TES, the story is optional. In Oblivion I didn't start the main quest for years IRL as I find that Oblivion Gates gets in the way of me actually playing the game.
>>
>>341423998
>>341423515
Climbing requires draining a stamina gauge. You can only climb so high and for so long. A hookshot will be invaluable in getting to those high or hard to reach places.
>>
>>341416213
>>341415393
Wasn't Majora's Mask kinda like that already? You could just do the main missions to stop the moon and miss all the good shit in the sidequests. Heck, aren't most Zeldas made that way? Haven't played all of them
>>
>>341416556
> I'll defininitely miss my quirky characters and their interactions in a tight packed story.

Interview literally said people can experience the story/lore at their own pace and order. No one said there won't be a story, or there won't be any npcs. Actually they confirmed that there will be a lot of npcs. Why are people acting like retards?
>>
>>341417068
>Nah I mean I like the straight up, head on corny Zelda stories where the helper fills you in and there's cutscenes and shit.

No one said those won't be in the game.
>>
>>341415393
OP confirmed for being completely unable to grasp simple explanations.
>>
>>341416353
This shit right here. I'm not saying it will be a good game but open world in this case isn't just trying to copy Skyrim, it's clear they are trying to emulate the original title
>>
File: zelda-art.jpg (613 KB, 670x979) Image search: [Google]
zelda-art.jpg
613 KB, 670x979
>>341423515
Environmental stuff is now basic, so it would be more specialized i think.

Hookshot could be nice for climbing higher up where only your stamina can't get you. Maybe something for swimming or flying combat.

I'd also like some magic stuff.
>>
>>341424471
just drink a potion. there's b roll footage of link with double stamina bar climbing.

>>341424805
someone found the fire rod in the demo so there's that, and unless they cut it out again there's magic somewhere in the game.
>>
File: 1401051088958.png (598 KB, 696x720) Image search: [Google]
1401051088958.png
598 KB, 696x720
That rock boss seemed to do a ton of damage, so I can only imagine how hard the final areas will be with three hearts and shitty armor/weapons.
>>
File: 1465941280993.png (287 KB, 558x486) Image search: [Google]
1465941280993.png
287 KB, 558x486
>learn enough about the world
>true final boss reveals himself
make it happen Aonuma
>>
>>341418220
Why are you in one of them? Are you incapable of making rational decisions?
>>
>>341424805
>Bombos in 3D

>>341425004
Link has an inherent Once More skill, leaving him at a quarter of a heart if he takes a lethal blow. Watch the stream where he's hit by that laser and is brought from full life to a quarter.
>>
>>341425004
> so I can only imagine how hard the final areas will be with three hearts and shitty armor/weapons.

Grab a sword from a sleeping monster camp and you've just skipped every weapon from the rest of the game.
>>
>>341425016
>Final boss is some obscure plot device/ enemy from older game.

Please Anny.

You can do it.
>>
>We want the Dark Souls audience
>>
>>341425219
Bokoblin swords aren't all that much better than the travelers swords you find in chests.

Unless you mean steal a sword from a late game enemy, but we don't know if they'll even be sleeping in monster camps.
>>
>enemies in the starting area can 1 hit kill you and do 6 hearts of damage
>retards actually expect they'll be able to run straight to ganon with no problems unless they're a jap speedrunner
>>
>>341425219
We don't know if there will be sleeping monsters or camps in those areas.
>>
File: Horsehead_and_Link.png (225 KB, 379x261) Image search: [Google]
Horsehead_and_Link.png
225 KB, 379x261
>>341425313
>NEEEIGH HERD U TALKIN SHIT LIKE I WOUDDNT FIND OUT
>>
>>341422315
Oh please.
>>
>>341425365
Then save and go mano-a-mano for the single enemy kill necessary, or run around until you find a chest. Either way, if you can go straight to the endgame areas, you can also go straight for the endgame weapons immediately after.
>>
>>341425536
I want these fuckers just walking around late game areas ready to absolutely wreck you if they spot you. 3000 HP points and a relentless AI that charges you unless you get on a horse and get the fuck out of dodge.
>>
>>341425326
I imagine tackling a overpowered monster wouldn;t be that hard.

>Set fire to everything
>Freeze a nearby rock and wail on it
>Telekinesis them off a cliff
>>
What happened to that dude that was apparently downloading the demo to leak it?
>>
>>341425967
Killed by the yakuza
>>
File: Miyamoto-Zelda.jpg (345 KB, 757x545) Image search: [Google]
Miyamoto-Zelda.jpg
345 KB, 757x545
>>341425967
Explaining himself to Iwata

He didn't understandu
>>
>>341425967
as if that really happened
>>
>>341416157
It's literally the original Zelda formula. Fucking OOT babies.
>>
>>341416213
Fallout 1 & 2

In fallout 1 you can run straight to mariposa / the cathedral and blow shit up if you know what you're doing

In fallout 2 you can get into the enclave and kill horrigan with automated turrets or shitton of explosives
>>
>There are people who don't plan on killing Ganon naked with a wood stick
>>
>>341427112
>implying you won't freeze to death before that

Hyrule is cold mang
>>
File: aryan zeldafu.png (2 MB, 891x979) Image search: [Google]
aryan zeldafu.png
2 MB, 891x979
>>341415393
>"Anybody who can go straight to the goal without doing anything else — there's two possibilities," Aonuma said. "Either they're a really good gamer, or they could be somebody that's a little bit crazy. But it's not impossible. I created the game like that.
Why is Aonuma such a god? This read fucking amazing.

11/10 game.

He gave us MM, WW and now this.

Oh, and reminder, ignore what retarded Zelda fans say. They will always find something.

>boohoo, too linear, too many cutscenes, too much handholding
>boohoo, not enough cutscenes, too many dungeons, too few dungeons
>>
>>341427605
>Everyone saying Aonuma was shit
>He fucking delivers

What the fuck happened in Skyward Sword then? Was he taking retard pills?
>>
>>341427969
Everyone else was because SS had some of the best moments in the whole franchise. It was just a bit rushed to release before the Wii was stone fucking dead.
>>
>>341428079
The core gameplay for SS is shit though. The forced motion controls are obnoxious and the dungeons were hit or miss. Though I will say it's nowhere near as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
>>
>>341427112
>not using a stalkid arm
Casual.
>>
>>341427969
It's not out yet boyos.
>>
>>341416353
>You could go straight to the end in that one if you were brave/stupid enough.

No you couldn't. You had to collect the Triforce or else the old man wouldn't let you into Death Mountain.
>>
>>341428195
I'm really surprised at how minimalistic the UI is this time. Did Aonuma just drop on his head or something?
>>
>>341428195
I loved it. Swordplay felt unique and required dexterity and reflexes. For better or IMO worse, there will never be another game like SS and I was glad to have played it.
>>
File: 1419958075151.png (1 MB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1419958075151.png
1 MB, 750x750
>He doesn't know how to find the biggoron sword for dat reach right at the begining of the game.

Take a look at this scrub!
>>
File: 1462730783039.png (328 KB, 526x512) Image search: [Google]
1462730783039.png
328 KB, 526x512
>Nintendo fell for the open world "see that mountain? you can climb it" meme

I actually thought that people were just shitposting when they said they Skyrim'd Zelda but the weren't wrong.

Prepare for an empty and dead world, barebones story and "revolutionary" mechanics that have existed in other RPG games for more than a fucking decade.

Nintendrones will LITERALLY buy anything.
>>
>>341420825
A friend of mine picked up TPHD for my birthday, and holy shit going through the whole intro was torture.
>>
>>341425536
Who drew this?
>>
>>341428523
It's mostly empty because it's based in a kingdom of ruin, which you'd know if you'd actually paid attention and weren't some useless shitcunt troll, but even the E3 demo has had towns/NPCs taken out so as not to reveal plot points.

Again, which you'd know, if you'd paid attention. But you didn't, because you're a shitcunt troll.
>>
>>341422204
Or you can just wait til his sword becomes unelectrified
>>
File: [Seat Offering Intensifies].gif (167 KB, 296x360) Image search: [Google]
[Seat Offering Intensifies].gif
167 KB, 296x360
>>341428523
>Game isn't out yet.

>Assumptions.

K, but tell ya what you can laugh ALL you want when it's actually out. Deal?
>>
>>341428375
I'm glad that worked for you, me and most other people did not enjoy it but I guess you were the target demographic for it
>>
>>341428659
>Hahaha it's actually supposed to be an empty shitty world!!!1

I suppose the shit looking combat is some kind of epic design choice too.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>341419846
All gameplay shown so far show that theres no boring ass intro/tutorial like SS or TP, you just wake up, an dget straight into the action.
>>
>>341421646
Are you forgetting that people will get scared and duck if you swing your sword at them in Twilight Princess?
>>
>>341428523
It's far from empty, there's even bosses roaming around.

But you don't have Epona yet and Epona is very fucking fast so distances seem longer than they actually are.
>>
>>341428195
The motion controls may have been forced but if you learned them, they worked perfectly, and they were at least straightforward. Lots of games have shitty controls and you just have to get used to them. There weren't any times where I got them mixed up.
>>
>>341428808
>shit looking combat
What are you babbling on about, you delusional moron? Have you not seen the tight hitboxes, weighted attacks, variety of weaponry, intelligence of the AI and environmental combat options?

Oh, of course you haven't. Because you're a troll.
>>
>>341424547
Because they are retards.
>>
>>341428523
Except we have every reason to believe that Zelda won't be shit like everything else, since its made by people who have proven they are actually capable of crafting interesting worlds.
>>
Are there no dungeon items in this game? Seems like you find bows and weapons everywhere.
>>
>>341429090
You get 'runes' for your smartphone that do the 'tool' things that dungeon items used to do. Things like a magnet, or this really cool thing that lets you store kinetic energy in a physics object before letting it go and fly off into the sky.
>>
>>341415393
>just go straight to the goal
>literally 10 minute long game
WOW
O
W
>>
>>341425153
I could see them doing something like that to prevent you from getting one-shot, but it could also just be something for the demo to keep them from losing progress. Having to retread ground they've already covered would be really lame when they're trying to demonstrate as much as possible.
>>
File: 1370382250593.png (148 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1370382250593.png
148 KB, 300x300
>>341415393
>When asked, Aonuma confirmed that a player could go directly to the final boss of the game from its opening moments if they wanted

Rip Speedruns. Fuck. Gonna have to stick to all boss ones or someshit.
>>
>>341416213
Aonuma stated well before Skyward Sword that he wanted to return to the original Zelda formula. In which you could go everywhere from the beginning.
I guess they went full in with their idea, and I'm loving it actually.
>>
>>341429090
Things like the glider seem to be something you always have, so it'd make sense that you have the drop system for bows/arrows/weapons and the normal dungeon items for special or utility items like boomerang/lens of truth/bombs etc
>>
File: Omar-Mateen.jpg (25 KB, 440x445) Image search: [Google]
Omar-Mateen.jpg
25 KB, 440x445
>>341429297
speedruns are for gays
>>
>>341419932

Punished "Venom" Link
>>
>>341429375
You get the glider from the old man in the cave. You give him four orbs, which you earn from completing trials in the shrines.

The demo lets you use the glider whenever, because it's a demo, but you do actually have to earn it.
>>
>>341429408

Watching a speedrun for a game I've beaten is pretty fun. Watching an MGSV one right now, the little tricks and perfections they pull off are always interesting.

TAS a shit
>>
>>341429297
Unlike which game? The speedrun for ALTTP is basically walking through 50 walls and straight into the credits cutscene.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 68

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.