[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Huge portions of /v/ argue that the new DOOM will be shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 19
File: nms2.jpg (249 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
nms2.jpg
249 KB, 1920x1080
>Huge portions of /v/ argue that the new DOOM will be shit
>I begin to agree with them
>Huge portions of /v/ argue that No Mans Sky will be shit
>I begin to agree with them
>Buy DOOM anyway
>It's fucking fantastic
>Start to wonder about NMS

Do you guys have any real points against the game, or is the DOOM thing going to repeat itself?
>>
>>338205623
but doom is shit
>>
Congratulations, you've turned 17 and are beginning to realize that you can have opinions of your own.
>>
>>338205809
How so?

>>338206031
I began to agree with some posts because they had rational arguments. I want so hear some against NMS so I can weigh my choices.
>>
>>338205623

Doom 4 is merely ok according to what everybody says about the single player. No man's sky is obvious trash though. If you can't take the information that we know about the game and put two and two together then that's on you.
>>
>>338206152
Why would you take any opinion here seriiously? People here say literally anything not to lose.
>>
People here literally only shit on NMS because it's popular and hyped.
>>
>>338205623
I don't know much about why people hate DOOM, but No Man's Sky still has yet to show us what the content is going to fucking be.
The devs just keep repeating the number of possible planets. Procedurally generated planets can only go so far. Not to mention you'll never get to play with anyone else.
Star Citizen is going to blow it out of the water.
>>
NMS shills need to leave. Either add some sexy girls to your game or GTFO.
>>
File: 1445752680152.gif (351 KB, 263x239) Image search: [Google]
1445752680152.gif
351 KB, 263x239
>>338205623
The reasons for why people thought DOOM would be bad are significantly different from the reasons why people thing NMS will be bad.
>>
>>338206947
Autism
>>
>>338205809
> He posted, as he resumed playing Doom.
>>
>/v/ is one person

I hate this meme.
>>
>>338205623
Watch gameplay videos/interviews, determine whether you are interested, if you are buy it or whatever. You probably should make your own choices instead of blindly agreeing with everything on /v/
>>
>>338207438
>huge portions of /v/
>what do you guys think

It's like you didn't read the post at all desu~
>>
>>338205623
doom actually looked like a game its biggest issue and the reason everyone hated it is that bethesda are as bad at publishing as they are everything else.
the marketing for the game was absolutely awful

no mans sky is being marketed rather well but its issue is that it lacks substance, you fly to planets, ping a bit and then fly away
thats all of the game that has been shown so far, if i am wrong please correct me
it just looks like that mountain program that games journalists got raging boners over for a week before forgetting it albeit with a larger scope
>>
Exploration in a procedurally generated game is useless. The game compiles a random level and will never be as interesting as a level created by a designer.
Also, no gameplay
>>
>>338207267

>complaints made about DOOM before release

>it's too slow
>It's made for console babbys
>Multiplayer sucks
>It's shit (no explanation given)

>game turns out to be the fastest modern fps in years
>is genuinely challenging on the higher difficulty settings
>Multiplayer is decent

>complaints made about No Man's Sky Currently before release

>My exploration survival game has no multiplayer
>there's nothing to do
>procedural generation exploration is pointless
>It's shit (no explanation given)

>points yet to be validated or invalidated
>>
>>338207971
Pretty much.
I watched the E3 presentation of it then lost all interest when it said procedural.
>>
>>338208092
>procedural generation exploration is pointless
>>338207971
>Exploration in a procedurally generated game is useless

ZING!
>>
A generic game is much easier to misjudge, NMS looks like shit. The gameplay looks plain bad. DOOM didn't look bad, it just looked generic (and there was the "too slow" thing which turned out not to be an issue at all).
>>
>>338206627
no, star citizen is going to be awful
look into some of the horror stories of the games development
>>
>>338208564
I could, but I know a few people who have already played it and love it.
>>
>>338206627
are you dense? they've showed you the content. that's it. you walk around and shoot, that's it. that's all you do, there IS nothing more to the game. nobody is trying to trick you into thinking there's anything else. it's incredible shallow.

I'm going to buy it because it looks sci-fi comfy
>>
>>338208276
Don't meme faget
Random level design is only useful in games with gameplay. Walking simulator is just pointless. People will be disappointed
>>
>>338208739
>you walk around and shoot, that's it.
Um, no you don't? I think even you know there's more to it.
>>
File: 1424222827574.jpg (32 KB, 533x430) Image search: [Google]
1424222827574.jpg
32 KB, 533x430
>>338205623
Doom's hate was because it wasnt like the original, and instead going to be more akin to Halo.

No mans sky looks like it'll have bloody nothin to do besides wander around staring at shit.
Oh wait you can do halfassed shitty space battles.

Oh well. Everyone likes wandering around doing nothing these days.
>>
>>338208564
I don't know of any "horror stories" about Star Citizen. The only drama revolving about the game was shitposting from that faggot Derek Smart.
>>
Always do the opposite of what /v/ says
>>
>>338205623
well no man's sky is an indie game that's actually a front for money laundering
>>
File: image.png (161 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
161 KB, 750x1334
>>338206152
>>
>>338205623
/v/ expectations are incredibly high. Usually when the consensus inside and outside of /v/ that a game is shit, it's usually true. I'm not expecting 10/10 goty with No Man's Sky. I happen to like games that focus on exploration, and the game does look very relaxing in the sense that it's a time sink.
>>
I think I might buy doom. I think I might have been red pilled by /v/ but over watch comes out soon but I love fps games so I don't know what to do. Is it really worth full price for a good single player?
>>
>>338209262
Just wait for the crack if you just want to play its aingle player
>>
>>338208276
Its not quite that simple. The planets are randomly generated by an algorithm, while assets are procedurally generated. The universe does not change from player to player; the generation system allows that there will be great variance among worlds.

I'm not trying to defend the game, I'm on the fence with it myself. I'm just stating the fasts.
>>
I'm a sucker for these types of games. I got Spore on day 1 too, and I'll probably do the same for NMS. My problem is Spore had a pretty good procedural system as well, but that didn't make the game much more compelling. Mediocre as it was, the good thing about spore though, was that you could actually mend the world to your will. Make your own species from scratch, go genocidal on other species, terraform planets, or even destroy them completely.

NMS seems to have a lot less gimmicks. You can't even customize your ship, which you can do in the super low tech Rodina. It seems like a pretty bare bones survival game set in space, yet with some polish.

Ark basically has the same gimmicks as NMS, except it is a big coastal continent instead of space, and dinosaur mounts instead of ships. Ark is obviously a little less polished though. In my opinion, Ark feels very uninspiring.
>>
>>338209262
>I think I might have been red pilled by /v/

> Is it really worth full price...?

you haven't learned a fucking thing
>>
File: tpu-2-100661805-large.png (312 KB, 580x446) Image search: [Google]
tpu-2-100661805-large.png
312 KB, 580x446
>The game is procedurally generated server side by a cluster of Google's Tensor Processing Units. The system uses machine learning trained on Google Earth data.
>>
>>338208854
I dont really.
Enlighten me.
Every video I've seen is just the play wandering around tunneling through shit. Or playing with his bb gun/space bb gun
>>
>>338209328
I don't pirate but I don't want to give Bethesda anymore money after how shit fagout 4 was. Saying that I liked dishonored and bought it so who the fuck I am I kidding. I wish bethesda wasn't the publisher of of games that I like.
>>
>>338209440
Tell me what I haven't learned oh all knowing one. Please enlighten me with your superior intellect neck beard kun.

I haven't bought it yet.
>>
>>338205623
Drinking bleach is pretty shit. Tastes awful.

Maybe you should try it. I might be wrong, after all.
>>
>>338209516
That likes saying you won't buy a Rockstar game just because take-Two releases the same 2K games every year. Bethesda published, ID developed.
>>
>>338209452
>game is proceduraly generated server side
>has offline mode
what?
>>
>>338205623
Have you played Elite Dangerous? Congratulations, you have already played No Man's Sky. But ED has a focus on space combat so it has a decent flight system.
>>
It seems like a lot of the complaints for Doom were pretty subjective, people complaining about the speed or the specs and everything.

A lot of what I've heard about No Man Sky is that it's a game with no point, which gets old very quickly. After you see each planet type, you'll just be scrounging for resources to go find more planets that you've already seen a clone of.

>inb4 everything's totally different!
I know, but an ice planet with blue trees is not that remarkable from an ice planet with red trees. At some point it doesn't matter that much. No one got a huge kick from exploring in Spore.
>>
>>338209725
It might end up being like Elite: Dangerous.
>>
>>338209479
There's scientists on some of the planets who speak different languages. If you explore the planet enough you can understand what they're saying and receive resources from them or have them make you weapons or upgrade your current weapons.

There's more...but I forget and I have to go back to work. Forgive me anon.
>>
>>338209696
yeah I never thought about that. But you never see take two interactive plastered all over rock star games because they are such a big company. I know who develop the game anon I just fucking hate Bethesda with a burning passion.
>>
>>338209725
He is a liar
>>
you are a dumb sheep and you like Doom, what do you want us to tell you?
>>
>>338209725
The worlds generated offline are much simpler since it runs on your hardware

You need to pay a subscription fee to have worlds generated server side
>>
File: 1417528255373.png (294 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1417528255373.png
294 KB, 480x480
>>338209917
Oh wow, amazing. You can upgrade your bb gun.
I bet you can make it fire faster or do more damage. Truly I was missing out on a whole other side of this game.
I renounce my claims that it was merely walking around, and must call myself the fool for ever thinking as such.
Thank you for showing my stupid self the light.
>>
>>338205623
NMS will suffer the same way Starbound did.
>theres a billion things to discover and do
>in reality there's a less than dozen archetypes to everything
>>
>>338210283
>tfw both Starbound and Elite: Dangerous are basically in my perpetual backlog.
>>
I think it's amusing how creative shills can get just to post about some stupid shit
>>
>/v/
Yeah, let's all take advice from the meme board that has Destiny threads up all day and the same board that fell for the Brink hype. Sounds like they really know what they're talking about...
>>
>>338205623
it honestly sounds okay

but not $60 okay
>>
>>338210618
>has Destiny threads up all day
Nigga what.
I think you stumbled into an alternate reality.
We only had Destiny threads for the first 2 or so weeks
>>
>>338205623
>Caring about what anyone's opinion on the game is before the game is released.
>>
File: MultDocs2.png (600 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
MultDocs2.png
600 KB, 960x720
>>338205623
He's gonna do it!
No Man's Sky will the true and honest version of JDR's Multiverse. Infinite worlds that don't conform to established gender-binaries. A Kokoro Wish come true.
>>
>>338209028
You know iPhones have a built-in crop function right?

But you'd obviously not know that since not only were you dumb enough to buy an iPhone you were dumb enough to browse 4chan with it.
>>
File: 1436287608112.jpg (22 KB, 336x347) Image search: [Google]
1436287608112.jpg
22 KB, 336x347
>>338205623
Why the doom hate?
Firstly Bethesda
/v/ just loves Bethesda products
First released info made sure game will be dead on arrival for /v/
First released trailers
Slow as fuck gameplay
Weak as piss shotgun
Modern hud and challenges all over the screen
Modern Piss filter
Halo 2.0 multiplayer
So initial hype buildup failure and company track record plus release being better but not good enough
Conclusion: its a shit game

Why the nml hate?
Firstly not announced on pc until later
Veterans of elite dangerous will know that 100000000 stars gimmic wont work
Removed multiplayer aspect
Denuvo
Still we cant be sure about what the game is about
And /v/ having spore flashbacks
Conclusion: it will be a shit game
>>
>>338210812
I think he's confusing Overwatch for Destiny. Kind of ironic, when he shows that he is indeed a Typical /v/irgin who doesn't even know his vidya.
>>
Negativity about Doom was justified because the beta was shit because Doom multiplayer is shit.

NMS gameplay just doesn't look very good.
>>
>>338210812
There's a Destiny thread right now.
>>
File: 1450402011642.jpg (14 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1450402011642.jpg
14 KB, 300x300
>Planets are randomly generated
>Flora is randomly generated
>Fauna is randomly generated
>Civilizations are randomly generated
>The music is randomly generated
>The whole universe is randomly generated

Is like they didn't even try to do something.
>>
>>338211083
It's not randomly generated. It's procedurally generated.
>>
>>338209262
You can get it for 30 bucks on cdkey websites.. you just download it and then plug the key into steam. I almost thought I was falling for a scam then the game worked.
>>
>>338205623
I don't think I'll enjoy NMS because I don't enjoy exploration for its own sake. There has to be a piece of armour or a weapon at the end of the trip or I won't bother.

If you give me a world and tell me there is stuff I want hidden everywhere I'll explore everything. If you drop me in a world and tell me to explore and create my own fun I'll drop the game in 12 seconds. If I wanted to do that I would go hiking.
>>
>>338210184
I could be wrong, and I'm another anon who is also waiting to see how the game turns out, but I think there are a few more things so I'll just list all the features I've heard.

>weapon/ship upgrades
>exploring/naming animals and planets
>finding words to languages
>story missions? I think
>goal to get to center or something
>portals and stuff
>trading and robbing

I think I hit everything, I'm not sure on the story missions but I thought I heard something about it. I would advise people not to preorder if they can help it but this is /v/. We should wait till others have played it and can form a somewhat more educated opinion on it.
>>
>>338211083
but anon, procedural isn't random. It goes off rules set by the devs using whatever assets are available and stuff like that. Not random.
>>
>why does /v/ hate everything

Probably because its fucking /v/, people come here to shitpost and act like faggots. Honestly, who the fuck comes here for proper video game discussion?
>>
>>338211329
What if I told you there was real treasure buried on hiking trails?
>>
>>338211412
Why would I come on here for videogame discussion when I can
>come here to shitpost and act like [a] faggot
>>
>>338211043
Link it I don't believe you. I just searched and didn't see it.
>>
>>338211436
I don't do geocaching. Hiking is nice in real life because fresh air and exercise etc. Exploring for its own sake in a game has none of that.
>>
NMS will be Spore 2.
It might have some interesting shit to see for like a week but then it'll get soo tedious.
>>
>>338206528
So was Spore, we just know better now.
I hope I am wrong but it's unlikely that it'll be anything more than an "ok game of the month"
>>
>>338211506
You're a blind retard. >>338206576
>>
>>338211778
Shit, we really are living the meme.
>>
>>338211374
Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic, since I like exploration and don't hate against proc gen like most of /v/, as long as it's done well. Definitely don't preorder it though since they are being too vague about the in-game systems; whether it is good or not depends on how extensive and fleshed out the world generation is and how much things there are to do.
>>
>>338205623

No Man's Sky I'm definitely going to have to wait on purchasing. From what I've seen, it's an ocean of content with the depth of the puddle. I haven't seen any alien temples or dungeons. No enemy NPCs. No PvP with other players. It just seems like Minecraft in Space, with even less to do. Land on some shit. Farm some materials, fly away to somewhere else.

What's the fucking point? Someone prove me wrong please. I just want to land on some planet and explore badass alien ruins and shoot and solve cool puzzles and get loot. You know, like the opening scene of Guardians of the Galaxy, or Metroid Prime.

If it's just Minecraft with a prettier coat of paint I'm gonna pass.
>>
File: nmsr.png (7 KB, 886x46) Image search: [Google]
nmsr.png
7 KB, 886x46
>>338211280
>>338211391
There's still randomness in procedural generation. I'm still buying the game tho for PS4 :^).
>>
>>338210937
>Weak as piss shotgun
Say it aint so
>>
>>338211374

>weapon/ship upgrades
How you can upgrade your ship/gun determines how relevant the feature is

>exploring/naming animals and planets
This really doesnt mean or add anything to the game. Would any game advertise being able to name shit as a siginificant feature? I mean, I can name everything in Zoo Tycoon.

>finding words to languages
What the hell is the end result of such? Is it just to stall you from trading with locals? If so then it's just filler and a very minor extension of walking around.

>story missions? I think
>I think
Again depends on the content. Those could just be "Walk around on planets and talk to people"

>goal to get to center or something
Doesnt add anything, just makes it so you gotta walk around on planets in a general direction of your goal.

>portals and stuff
What the hell does that even mean

>trading and robbing
Maybe could be something. I doubt it'll go anywhere interesting though
>>
>>338205623
Everything was pointing to DOOM being shit until the last bit of gameplay we saw a few weeks before release
>>
>>338211391
>dice aren't random because it can only land on one of six sides
>>
If you buy a game of course it's going to be fantastic. For some reason, games are just more likable when you pay for them.
>>
>>338212176
>tfw you bought a ps4 specifically to play NMS.
>>
To think, the sperg of a lead developer could avoid so much criticism and shit if he just showed off a couple minutes of select features properly instead of making all focus entirely on landing on planet, dicking about for a bit and then leaving. I'm convinced the game was just space engine lite at one point and someone had a conversation along these lines with them

>Hey, so all we're doing is landing on planets, right?
>yeah, awesome isn't it?
>This is kinda boring, no one is gonna buy this
>OH SHIT Quick! Tack on some gameplay features
>>
call me a casual, call me a shill, say what you want, I'll have fun still
>>
>>338212176
There's cheese in lasagna. That doesn't mean lasagna is cheese.
>>
>>338205623
NMS will be excellent.
>>
>>338212283
You upgrade material through blueprints you get from alien factories, or by learning an alien's language and interacting with them. Want IGN's videos on NMS.

There are portals that lead to different worlds or planets, there is one video I saw on youtube that showed someone going through one.

You can destroy the cargo pods of other ships and cruisers to steal whats inside them. Also in an IGN video.
>>
>>338212489
>tfw you bought a PS3 for FFXIII
We all make mistakes.
>>
File: 1413174968661.png (24 KB, 313x193) Image search: [Google]
1413174968661.png
24 KB, 313x193
>>338212602
Wow, sounds like LITERALLY NOTHING BUT WALKING
Still not worth 60
>>
>>338212636
>tfw you bought a PS vita for Persona 4 G

Actually was worth it.
>>
>>338205623
>Do you guys have any real points against the game
The idiots had points against DOOM though, then those points turned out to be all wrong. /v/ makes shit up based on trailers and then assumes what they've made up is fact.

Just wait and see. /v/ is barely ever right.
>>
>>338212636
I can't see myself being dissatisfied with the game though. I honestly wouldn't care if it were nothing more than >random creatures >random ships >random tools and random planets. I've been wanting a game like this since I discovered open world/sandbox shit.
Though that "Wild" game will be okay too I guess. a lot less seeming though.
>>
>>338212841
I'd pay 60 bucks if they gave you a motorcycle like the one in the oblivion movie that you could stash on your ship. Then you could land and ride your motorwheeliebike around. This will never happen tho so I'll just get it on sale for 10 bucks 4 months after it releases.
>>
>>338206152
Go look at the other games the devs that made NMS created. It's not hard, they're all on steam.

Come back and tell the class if you think they can pull off a 60 dollarydoos gayme.
>>
>>338212874
I'm with you m8.

If I can build a house close to a lake, admire the flora in the morning and hunt my own food, then the game is totally worth it.
>>
>>338212401
Try getting 7 on a 6 sided die. You cant. Dice are restricted to 1-6. You can randomly get 1-6, but you'll never randomly get 7. It adheres to a set of rules like the anon said to get a specific outcome. Not 100% random.
>>
>>338212860
The main gripe a lot of people have about the game is how dodgy the developer is when he asked questions regarding the game.

He almost always deflects gameplay/multiplayer questions to say something the lines of...
"Hello developer of Joe Danger 1 and 2. Will there be multiplayer in No Man's Sky?"
"N-Yes. No. That's not the point of the game. The point of the game is to explore the galaxy and see the 18 quintillion planets and stars within the world."
"Oh okay... What exactly you can you do in No Man's Sky?"
"Well, you can do a wide variety of things. Did I mention that there are more than 18 quintillion planets and stars with No Man's Sky? It will actually take more 1 billion collective years for everything in the game's world to be explored. Pretty neat, ayy?"
"Yeh..Yeah definitely."
>>
>>338213298
You didn't define the rules to your scenario, you never said I couldn't scribble a little 7 on one of the sides and cover the number that was there previously.
>>
>>338213298
I'm not that same anon you're sperging with, but what you are saying kinda stupid. Coded random number generators rely entirely on a specific set of rules to work. Does that mean they are procedural number generators?
>>
>>338213451
>tfw I haven't slept in more than 24 hours.
>tfw I should have proofread my post.
>>
Best No Man's Sky thread I've seen so far on /v/. Good job fellas. It was only about 50% shit posts.
>>
>>338205623

>No Man's Shill is STILL at it
>>
>>338213217
Ark is right up your alley even though it is poorly optimized and a little generic feeling. I just picked it up on sale. Feels alot like Minecraft though...

I can't wait for Camelot Unchained.
>>
File: 1355284451940.jpg (270 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1355284451940.jpg
270 KB, 1024x768
>>338205623
>Shit game is going to be shit
>i-its not even out yet
>DOOD is not bad because i have shit taste in shooters
>shit game must be good
>huge portions of /v/ argues
So, the rest are shills?
>>
>>338214624
>Using this image
>Not using battleborn's UI instead
>>
>>338214827
...You can change the scale though right? Right?
>>
>>338209352

But procedural generation can only create so many assets

There will only be so many variants of:
> fish creature
> trees with different colors
> quadrupeds with different appendages

If you look at all the gameplay videos, all the planets look identical: the same trees, same animals, only with slight palette swaps
>>
>>338213478
Missed the point
>>338213564
Doesn't matter, you missed the point.

If you are interested in the procedural generation they are using then read the second half of this
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/05/18/world-without-end-raffi-khatchadourian
I know it's long but if you're legitimately interested in the game you'll read it, if not why the fuck are you here?
>>
File: battlebornvsfuturefps.jpg (121 KB, 1024x356) Image search: [Google]
battlebornvsfuturefps.jpg
121 KB, 1024x356
>>338214946
I don't know. I'm just being a shitter about this comparison. I wouldn't actually play garbage like Battleborn.
>>
>>338211374
it looks like a shitty, more colorful less to do elite dangerous
>>
>>338205623
I think the success or failure of this game will alter the trajectory of games to come. Sean isn't attempting something radically new, but he is attempting it on a scale that hasn't been done before - regarding both the game size and the sales base.
>>
File: 1427308147254.jpg (33 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1427308147254.jpg
33 KB, 1280x720
>>338215191
>>338214827
OH HOLY SHIT I THOUGHT YOU WERE JOKING.
>>
>>338215191
Wow I was actually considering checking out Battleborn with all the shilling going on.
>>
>>338215162
>You missed the point

I'm very aware of the point. Let's take this quote from your article

>In order to produce varied landscapes, a formula must be able to cope with a wide range of random information without generating mathematical anomalies that cause glitches

So in other words, RNG dictates that a planet must be fall into rules xyz. Then the formula takes the xyz ruleset and randomizes shit that fits within that ruleset. It's not difficult to understand.

>>338215319
>on a scale that hasn't been done before

Elite Dangerous, Space Engine, Minecraft.
>>
/v/'s opinion is shit and you should just form your own instead of parroting what your make believe friends on the chinese image board site say. DOOM isn't the first either, this has happened millions of fucking times.
>>
>>338215738
Just saying but
>minecraft
is insanely small in comparison to this game or ED. Space engine's not a game right? it's like a program that lets you view planets/stars/etc/universe(s)
Ed though yeah. But imo it's much less interesting than this since as far as I know there's no life really on planets, all 'realistic' rather than NMS going for Sci-fi.
However I think this will be the largest console game if it lives to its expectations (assuming you go by what's been shown rather than speculation and assumptions.) Which I think that one racing game held the record for until now.
>>
>>338215738
>I'm very aware of the point.
Are you? Because my point was that it's not just random, it's random with a set of rules. Because those two anon were arguing, "it's random" "no, it's procedural." I was telling them it's both, but it's not so random as to where you get anomalies, i.e. the 7. So why are you arguing with me?
>it's not that hard to understand.
>>
>>338205623
It would take some miracle revolutionary advance in procedural generation for the game to not be the same repetitive shit over and over again.
>>
>>338216510
>Minecraft is insanely small

No it isn't? http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/minecraft-discussion/discussion/115512-the-immense-size-of-the-minecraft-world

>At the rate I was going, it would have taken me 4,390,586 lifetimes to explore the Minecraft map.

>>338216672
Because anon, RNG is used to decide the rules. Then the rules dictate how much RNG can be used. You are saying it's not 100% random, which is very incorrect. It would have to be decided upon by the developers beforehand to not be considered random.

And yes, a dice is also random. It doesn't matter that your rules are dictated to 1-6, you will randomly get that 1-6.
>>
Calling Doom fantastic is either disingenuous or makes you a fool.

It's average at best and Brutal Doom did it better anyway.

>m-muh polygons!!!!
>>
>>338217221
read.
>In comparison to this game
It is much smaller than NMS is going to be assuming it's not completely false advertising.
>>
Heres the thing though, if the procedural systems can easily make the game I think they finished the game in 2014 once they figured it all out. The difference since they showed it at e3 is only the graphics have gotten better and they added npcs. If all they've been doing for 2 years is adding assets for creatures,weapons,upgrades,ships, and animals then this game could be revolutionary content wise. Only time will tell though. At this point I'll take anything over star citizen and elites billions of rocky barren planets
>>
>>338217865
That's my hope that they've spent the last couple of years/delay time adding in possible assests and stuff for the procedural creations to use. Also I'm guessing they improved/added the Npcs/factions since those were supposedly never going to likely be included at release until they were randomly introduced.
>>
>>338213171
Again with this meme.

Several members of the core team worked on many AAA games in the past. They know what they're doing.
>>
I think everyone here who gets the game on release should take a screenshot of every planet and creature they encounter. We will amass a thread with the animals/planets, create a collage, and then truly see how dynamic the procedural system is. I'll at least do it.
>>
>>338218083
I'm getting the game for the creatures honestly. In any game thats my favorite thing to do is to find all of the different animals if there are any. That Fallout 4 dlc literally added like 8 I think for 25 bucks and a ton of rehash weapons. Nigs have no right to complain about nms for $60
>>
I don't think it will be shit, but it most likely won't be more than an 8/10.
>>
File: 1458922627578.jpg (41 KB, 374x374) Image search: [Google]
1458922627578.jpg
41 KB, 374x374
>>338205623
NMS and DOOM aren't done by the same team or are even related at all, why would DOOM being good have any influence on NMS?
>>
>>338218357
I am too, though as I said earlier also the ships since that's a really cool possibility to find some super unique ship then buy it from an alien. I really fucking hope there's a standard saucer shaped ufo looking ship though I severely doubt it. This game has amazing potential for exploration/life/ship/galaxy exploring game. Providing they've got enough assets so the proc. generation won't pretty much instantly repeat that is. Which I'm confident or hopeful that given the amount of time they've worked on the game, it will. Also the ocean creatures look best from what we've seen so far. Bunch of neat little fucks in the abyss.
>>
>>338218504
/v/ was wrong about DOOM
>>
>>338218654
DOOM was done by an actual competent developer, No Man's Sky is pretentious indie trash
>>
>>338218889
Except it's not. The dev is not pretentious at all. People hyping and shilling the game might be.
>>
>>338218604
If theres a freeze upgrade for the multitool or a stun laser thing for a non violent run ittll be a 10/10 for me. Or if theres a forest with like trees that are hundreds of feet tall. And you can dig down to a max of 400 feet so I'll have to try that as well.
>>
>>338219024
>you can dig down to 400 ft
yeah 128m I think, which going down wise is pretty huge. I'm hoping there're ocean planets that take advantage of both height and depth to have huge trenches and shit. Or just deep waters. There's also apparently the chance for creatures to be godzilla size Sean said. (Though he personally hasn't seen them but they're technically possible.) So I assume plants/trees would also be capable of getting huge though I have no idea.
>>
File: 1400198160726.gif (927 KB, 250x230) Image search: [Google]
1400198160726.gif
927 KB, 250x230
>>338217578
>Brutal Doom did it better anyway.
>>
File: remember.png (7 KB, 477x88) Image search: [Google]
remember.png
7 KB, 477x88
>>338205623
>>
>>338219427
>>338219427
The oceans are what I'm probably the most excited for. Technically there could be a Godzilla sized octopus in an ocean sized ocean. My personal GOTY just for that chance desu
>>
>>338217221
>Because anon, RNG is used to decide the rules.
Wrong. The developer makes the rules. If it were all random how the fuck would anything proper be made?
>You are saying it's not 100% random, which is very incorrect.
Wrong. If it were 100% random, then you'd get planets shaped like ships, animals shaped like weapons and everything in between. Thats why:
>It would have to be decided upon by the developers beforehand to not be considered random.
They did exactly that. Thats why it's a video game and not just a rng.

They wrote an algorithm that constitutes what a planet looks like, what an animal looks like, what a ship looks like. (The rules) Then the rng comes into play, feeds the random into the algorithm and out comes different variations of planets, ships, etc.
>>
>>338220049
For real that'd be pretty neat to see. Alternatively the Megalodon or Leviathan just circling you while you try and get back to the surface would be dope. Predators will be pretty awesome to try and watch/survive. God damn I wish it were june already.
Are there any games that have potentially infinite creatures that might hunt you down?
>>
>>338220257
I'm pretty sure there aren't. Idk why the game gets shitposted so much, although I guess elite dangerous and spore are mostly to blame. I'ts clearly made for people who like space and nature and things like that. All they have to do is make sure its not boring that's the only downfall it has potentially.
>>
>>338220495
I really wish I could get into ED but the planets are just realistically empty. I feel that's the whole appeal of NMS it's space but not so barren and void like real space. spore though was pretty fun imo up till the space bit. I'm guessing that's why people hated spore? the space part being so meh?
I guess movies will fill the time between now and june though. anyone know any good space/alien themed movies?
>>
>>338220738
Not a movie but I'd recommend rodina to anyone who hasn't played it. Very comfy space game.
>>
File: 1463049563400.jpg (114 KB, 545x376) Image search: [Google]
1463049563400.jpg
114 KB, 545x376
>>338208092
Its not faster than Black Ops 3 of all things, it only touches Doom Fast whenever you pick up a Haste item or unlock the rune that speeds you up a bit if you use the HORRIBLE glory kills.
Multiplayer sucks, no question, they can probably patch it to make it better though, but I'm not going to bother.
It still is made for console babbies, aiming is abysmal for the most part.
>>
>>338205623
No mans sky will probably be fun for a week.
You'll go around and explore but after some time it will just repeat itself over and over making it dull and bland.
>>
>>338205623
I can't think of a single game the last few years where /v/ didn't say it was going to be awful at first.

Sometimes that ended up true and sometimes it didn't though.
>>
File: NMS Template.jpg (109 KB, 2500x1000) Image search: [Google]
NMS Template.jpg
109 KB, 2500x1000
>>338218318
Just made a ghetto ms paint template for anyone who wants to do this. Just prt srn, then paste and resize into one of the boxes. Should be fun once the game comes out, and also show how diverse the creatures can be.
Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.