[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stellaris
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 87
File: maxresdefault.jpg (132 KB, 1920x818) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
132 KB, 1920x818
last thread archived, why is this game so unfinished?
>>
Paradox
>>
>divide my fleet so that I can defend multiple locations
>ai doesn't so they send the entire thing at me
>fucks up all my fleets seperately because each one is smaller compared to the ai

Fuck it feels like there's no point in not dumping all your units into a single fleet. Also the ai feels overpowered compared to the player, unless your fleet strength is quite a bit more than theirs, you're pretty much guaranteed to lose.
>>
>>337635903
It's nuts. 4x/gsg games are so fucking cheap to make. Paradox doesn't deserve the success they've gotten from Stellaris.
>>
What are the biggest gripes with this game so far?I've been away for the last few days.
>>
>>337635903
>why is this game so unfinished?
Look at how much DLC paradox released for their last few games and you'll see why.
>>
>>337636887
Artificially made the game longer by making surveying require multiple clicks.
Sectors are dogshit.
It's incredibly tedious to mass upgrade buildings.
Many alerts, which also have sounds, cannot be disabled.
>>
>>337636307
Do you not use a small force to scout their loadouts before you commit to an attack? I've seen a 17K fleet beat a 150K fleet just from having a counter loadout.
>>
Are Sectors still fucked up?
>>
>>337636887
It needs some quality of life improvements like map modes and reducing the number of clicks. The biggest issue is that the AI is absolute dogshit across the board and offers almost no challenge.
>>
File: sectors.jpg (85 KB, 1305x502) Image search: [Google]
sectors.jpg
85 KB, 1305x502
>>337637340
Even Paradox admits it was a mistake, they're telling you to just mod it out for now.
>>
Having more pop and more planets literally gimp you in the tech race.

Who the fuck thought that it was fun to do this? The "Sector" AI is broken as fuck too. I tried playing for a bit to reserve my judgement on sectors, but it is clear that the only way to offset research penalty per pop is to manage the planets yourself. Which is impossible to do because of core planets limits.

There is also resource problems. If a sector have Strategic resource nodes, YOU DON"T FUCKING HAVE ACCESS TO IT. Wtf. Also, energy is useless as a currency. Nobody fucking wants to trade it for anything. Even if I try to give them all my reserves for 1 measly mineral per month. You can't even expend more energy per month to gain something. It is completely useless as a resource. I have 20k Energy and I don't know what the fuck can I use 20k Energy for.
>>
>>337637557
Save compatible?
>>
>>337637557
I don't see them admitting anything there other than that they plan to improve them. I think they're a good idea in concept but have a fucking terrible execution, mostly thanks to their moronic AI.
>>
File: 8.jpg (389 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
389 KB, 1920x1080
>>337636887
>The game only lets you control around 5 planets. If you get more than that you need to start assigning them into 'sectors' or their resource drain becomes obscene.
>The game actively punishes you for war. Say some evil space Klingon empire declares war on you and you slap their shit and take sex planets. All nations around you will now have -200 diplomacy modifier because you took so many worlds.
>The game is slow, slow, slow, FUKING SLOW
>You can sometimes get absolutely fucked by world gen and forced to re-roll. which is horrid in such a SLOW game.

My only complaints so far.
>>
I don't play strategy games but I'm going to try this out as soon as I can stop my computer from going full retard every time I start it.

Anyway, for beginners; What are some good things to know? Whats the best starting weapon type? Whats the best form of FTL? Does your government type / traits extend beyond the bonuses they give you? If I chose direct democracy what the hell is core sector planets +2?

Any advice is appreciated.
>>
>>337636307
Ai always zergs into your nearest planet. If you really want to slap their shit send a single scout to see what kind of shit they have, load up a planet with defense platforms and retrofit your shit to counter their builds
>>
>>337635903
Is there any use for Ayylien pets strategic resource?
>>
Sectors need to work like Client States in EU4 - functions like a vassal with a discrete autonomous AI, but part of your empire.

In EU4, you could even customize your client state's names and coats of arms, and this would give each sector actual personality.

I can almost guarantee you that this kind of functionality will be one of the first DLCs.

They also need to revamp vassal AI so that they don't just stack all their fleets together on top of your largest fleet and follow you around, but actually picks and attacks vulnerable targets with their smaller fleets (EU4 vassals would do this).
>>
>>337638302
Xeno Zoo is all as far as I know.
>>
Upgrading fleets takes too fucking long. Holy shit, you can make a brand new fleet in the time it takes to upgrade. Paradox fucked up there.
>>
>>337638302

There's a building for the planet tile called "Xeno Zoo" that gives a happiness bonus.
>>
>>337637714
i just dedicated all my sectors to research and it works fine
>>
>>337638336

Not to mention it's useless if you deploy a wide variety of specialized designs (torpedo boat, laser generalist, PD defense, etc.). If you upgrade, they'll convert to whatever is the most recent for the ship class, not what's most recent for their individual design.
>>
>>337636887
>not being able to control sectors at least when you want to.
>not knowing how big your bortder range will be when placing outposts
>RNG tech
>>
>>337638305
This is honestly how I thought they would work when they first explained the concept to us and it seemed like its what they had planned given how sector priority was supposed to work. Like you would have militarized sectors that keep your fleet restocked and such. But the AI is dumb as bricks and all the modes are just retard.
>>
File: Untitled.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
kek
>>
>>337637714
>If a sector have Strategic resource nodes, YOU DON"T FUCKING HAVE ACCESS TO IT.
I thought that too. At least when I made a sector I got an alert saying I didn't have enough of that special resource anymore. Then I decided to check it out. So I found a couple I was mining, added them to a sector and I still had the same amount. I think sectors won't use special resources and they don't build special resources. So I got the alert because one of my sector planets had a special building on it and won't use the special resource.
>>
>>337638957
Scientists: no sense of right and wrong
>>
>>337638957
Good for her.
>>
The fuck is with fallen empires.
I finally ran into one, and I was outpacing every other empire tech and ship wise to the pathetic level. But then boom, fallen empire, 15k fleet.
>>
>>337639191
All you had to do was follow the train
>>
>>337637837
it's best to just choose whatever you want to roleplay as. don't worry about min/maxing the gameplay because the little bonuses from government types, traits, etc won't matter in the long run. the only exception is maybe avoid warp FTL, since everyone seems to agree that hyperlanes and wormholes are much better

core planets is the number of planets you can have directly under your control before you have to start assigning planets to AI sectors to manage. it's normally 5, plus 2 from those government types
>>
>>337639248
Nigger, I ain't CJ
>>
>>337638957
>Mfw I have an admiral veteran who's a substance abuser and he's been in almost every major war at the helm of the Nen'Gein Empire Armada
>Mfw he's fucking 180 and still kicking

Old bastard won't die, too tough and has work to do.
>>
>>337637782

Just tried it myself. It is save compatible.
>>
>>337639191
They are empires that used to be relevant, but have stagnated into obscurity and are only hanging on by a hair's berth. Huge, opulent and almost dead apart from their massive automated fleets.
>>
>>337639191

You can look at every Fallen Empire's diplomacy screen and look at their personalities to find their triggers.

I had two relatively close to me in my game.

Holy Guardians that would declare war if I colonized the Gaia planets just outside their borders (which, if I clicked on the planets, had a feature bubble to identify them).

Another personality whose name I forget that would declare war if I purged and enslaved too much.

I've heard of at least one other that will declare war if you develop Synths.

All in all, very predicable and easy to avoid until you can bury them in fleet numbers and take their amazing planets.
>>
Paradox is about to go public as a company, thats probably why their newest game is an unpolished cash grab, they want to give the impression they can make money easily so their IPO price can be high
>>
>>337638582
this is why i don't play on ironman, so i can just use the add_ship command in the console
>>
>>337638336
Just split the fleet into smaller pieces and have each upgrade at a different station.
>>
>>337639403
I think that admirals are bugged. In my first game mine lived from start to finish and was over 500 years old at the end.
>>
>>337639586
Enigmatic Guardians and Keepers of Knowledge respectively.
>>
Has anyone conquered the entire universe yet?
>>
>>337640325
Four times on ironman. It's not difficult.
>>
Anyone else find "The Exile"? He's a random leader you find on an isolated planet. I found him while playing the UN of Earth. Thing is... he's 130 years old now.
>>
>>337639586
>take their amazing planets
>I'm full up and I rather like my capital so I put them in a sector
>enslave the previous owners and put them to work
>some time later, decide I could do without the slavery malus on energy production because I need more power for my absurdly oversized fleets
>start purging aliens and bringing in humans, some slots are empty but my people will breed
>come back later
>half of the awesome irreplaceable super buildings are replaced by basic hydroponic farms
>the governor keeps deciding to move pops away from the one alien super farm that can feed the whole planet and then some and then panicking due to no food and building hydroponic farms to compensate
>and all the while allow redevelopment is clearly NOT TICKED
It was at that point that I stopped playing. How did this get past QA?
>>
>>337639950
If they are then not all of them I suppose. Never seen immortal admirals in my playthrough.
>>
>>337640418
The one from the heretic quest chain opening? I didn't let him join.
>>
Do protectorates help you in war like vassals? Why would you make anyone a protectorate they literally do nothing.
>>
File: 1462249022508.png (405 KB, 463x537) Image search: [Google]
1462249022508.png
405 KB, 463x537
>you will never be alive in the year 2300 to see humanity take it's rightful place among the stars purging the xeno scum

feels bad man
>>
>Decide to make my bad ass military junta warrior Orc/Klingon race
>Declare rivalry with the first person I see. FOR HONOR
>Cue 3 nation alliance beating down my doors because I'm not a pussy ass xenophile

I hate this game already
>>
>>337639586
I've heard Fallen Empires can reawaken and become regular crazy powerful empires, not just respond to you or attack you but return to advancing and expanding like regular empires but with all of their former glory.
>>
>>337640480
I didn't have that, but I did have one that managed to command several fleets at once despite ostensibly being a single person. Since I had invented cloning by that point, I like to imagine that she was the Duncan Idaho of that universe.
>>
>>337640428
>How did this get past QA?
Its in QA right now
>>
>>337640698
>rivalling the first thing you see

Hey retard last I checked militaries used strategy.
>>
Has anyone NOT encountered the bug where the other civs don't attack the Unbidden?
>>
>>337636307
>unless your fleet strength is quite a bit more than theirs, you're pretty much guaranteed to lose.
your ship designs and fleet composition are shit
frankly I'm offended by the idea that someone can be so shit at video games and not question themselves
>>
So what's the benefit of enslaving pops to work instead of just having them freely work? Does it force them to work despite being really unhappy?
>>
>>337640698
I did the same but knew to keep my fleet maxed out and won 5 back to back wars right at the start and went on to steamroll the rest of the galaxy.
>>
>>337640862
LOK'TAR OGAR
>>
>>337640731
It was a spy pretending to be your admiral and she fooled you.
>>
>>337636887
Retreating. Why would they completely overturn the very realistic option of running and losing health as you're shot at, and replace it with an artifical 25% loss?
>>
>>337640902
It gives a bonus to food and mineral production (bigger with the right government types), and prevents them from rebelling or joining factions, while also making it so no production is lost due to unhappiness. It's really good, and the only downside is a -33% to energy production and a huge negative penalty to science production for that pop. On one of my recent runs, I found a primitive civilization on my first survey. My first action was to build an army, invade them and make their planet into a dedicated mineral producer with a mine on almost every tile. It gave me a huge leg up in the early game.
>>
>>337640887
The only game I encountered the unbidden they warped into to the same sector my aggressive stanced 280K fleet was stationed in so they got swatted. The AI was completely ignoring the scourge in one of my games though even cohabiting with them in a few sectors that had multiple planets.
>>
>>337639339

Thanks.
>>
File: Picard_as_Locutus.jpg (29 KB, 350x271) Image search: [Google]
Picard_as_Locutus.jpg
29 KB, 350x271
If I were to check out this game what build should I make to play something like The Borg?
>>
File: Gears of War.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Gears of War.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Is there any kind of late game tech that lets me enact exterminatus on planets full of heresy. In my empire or otherwise?
>>
>>337641397
Cyborgs aren't really in but you could get a good approximation with fanatic collectivist/materialist.
>>
File: 1406512509848.gif (999 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
1406512509848.gif
999 KB, 500x700
I just finished installing this game and about to play for the first time. What's a good starting race to play as? Something relatively easy to get into so I can figure the game out then learn the more complex strategies later. Preferably no pacifists because I'm going to want to learn how to fight.
>>
>>337636887
All the stars seem the same. Unlike EU4 where each province is unique (there is only one Sicily and it offers unique benefits for making claims on land in Italy for example), the only difference between stars in Stellaris is how many habitable planets there are, and once you're past 10 planets the specifics of a continental world vs an arctic world don't matter too much. They all just feel samey and sterile
>>
File: Sad hen.jpg (40 KB, 478x338) Image search: [Google]
Sad hen.jpg
40 KB, 478x338
I wish I could mod my game, but it's not legit.
I really, really need the flag color mod and robot race one.
>>
>>337636887
You know how their whole shtick was "it's kinda a 4X at the beginning and then it turns more into a grand strat game"?

well it's a bold faced lie. You do the same fucking shit at the end of the game that you were doing at the beginning. There are already 4Xes with better automation than Stellaris.
The endgame is just so fucking boring, there's nothing interesting to do. No trade, no advanced diplomacy, a couple of not-so-threatening endtime events, a game that starts lagging like shit, technologies that get less and less exciting, and so on

pop management is crap, industry is crap
it could have been vicky2 in space but no, instead we get the most basic "build power plants on tile" 4X
very very few internal events to go with that, no space-suffragettes, no nothing

fuck, I'm so disappointed
>>
>>337641513
Full bombardment stance that comes with militant ethos can turn planets entirely into tile blockers.
>>
> get this game as a time waster because I seriously need to distract the suicidal thoughts
> /v/ shits all over it

what the fuck should I play then asswipes I've never played a grand strategy before and the space theme sounded interesting
>>
What are considered the projectiles of the crystalline entities (crystal launcher, I believe)? Are they missiles or mass divers (ie what counters them, if I fit my ships with it)
>>
>>337641571
collectivist and enslaving in the early game can make it easier than relying on making your people happier so you get that much more resource output, also always be expanding/colonizing when you aren't at war.

also when you go to war, make sure you have enough energy credit output to pay for your ships.
>>
>>337641571
Pick the militant human premade race and use the tutorial.
>>
>>337641562
So a biological version of them? Particularly the assimilate others into the Borg aspect was what I was looking for.
>>
>>337641735
>letting /v/ sway your opinion
Stellaris has it's issues but it's fun.
>>
>>337641571
>complex strategies
wrong game
literally adopt any playstyle you want, it doesn't matter
>>
File: 1450679309908.jpg (8 KB, 250x141) Image search: [Google]
1450679309908.jpg
8 KB, 250x141
>Colonize a 60% habitable world
>Colonists start genetically modifying themselves to better survive
>Claim they're now more advanced and start calling themselves Post-myrace
>The only trait they've gained from the modifications is Xenophile
>They're no longer considered dominant race and can't vote

Bravo.
>>
>>337641735
Have you considered just finishing the job and killing yourself? I'm not sure there's hope for anybody that internalizes /v/'s opinion like you seem to.
>>
>>337641735
Stellaris is okay if you're new to the genre, but some of us are used to more potent strategy games from them and we're mad because we didn't know it'd be a simplified version
>>
>>337640612

>Why would you make anyone a protectorate they literally do nothing.

They give you money like a Sector, which vassals don't.

And once they reach 40% of your tech level, they convert to vassals (and can be integrated, etc.).
>>
Just discovered Gaia worlds, that always have 100% habitability

Neat
>>
>>337641735
Distant Worlds is everything Sterilis wishes it was
>>
>>337641916

If you have a better game suggestion please recommend it.

I want my first grand strategy experience to be a good one and not one where all I read is complains every time I see a thread about the game.
>>
>>337637714
you use energy to pay for your fleets when they need to be taken out of garrison, or to pay for robots/droids/synthetics.
>>
>>337642038
see
>>337642016
>>
File: 1462913936106.jpg (31 KB, 601x508) Image search: [Google]
1462913936106.jpg
31 KB, 601x508
>>337642016
>Sterilis
>>
>>337640718

I hope so. That'd be a good late-game crisis.

In my map, I declared war one of my mine and liberated a bunch of their planets, forming a new standard empire with all of the their tech that I vassalized.

When I tried it with the other fallen empire, their new liberated empire refused and joined the federation I had been feuding with. Oops...
>>
File: 1420596835504.jpg (17 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
1420596835504.jpg
17 KB, 600x400
>>337641784
>>337641931
Alright thanks.
>>
>>337641867
Collectivists get mind control tech that will slowly shift a population's ethos to mirror yours. Furthermore fanatic collectivism gives you near absolute control over your empire as you can purge or enslave anything with no internal repercussions.
>>
>>337638582
They only do that if you delete the old design. Just save over it. I've had 4 or 5 different designs for every class and they never once upgraded to a different design.
>>
>>337635903

Paradox are the besthesda of grand strategies

except the base games are better
>>
>>337642016
Distant Worlds is just a Stars! clone.
>>
File: 1419393619136.jpg (10 KB, 255x200) Image search: [Google]
1419393619136.jpg
10 KB, 255x200
This game is extremely, extremely boring.
Holy shit, and i was hyped shitless about it.
I thought "oh wow, endless space but in real time, sounds cool" yet making it an RTS didn't save it, at all.
It suffers from the same EXACT problems of Endless Space and any other 4x-sque games set in space, like SoaSe or Star Ruler.
There is literally nothing to do after a while.
Yes, sure, it's a sandbox game, but after you got your phat empire sitting in a corner and all your borders are close with someone's else empire, all you can do is either try your luck with war or try diplomacy, which of course is utter fucking bullshit.
The majority of the game consists into survey and colonizing systems before the enemy does, and to fucking chew as much as the galaxy in one single run, before alien empires show up and fuck you up.
And since it didn't actually flop, i guess i'm just an idiot.
Who /disappointed/ here?
>>
>>337642363
so its shit till mods/expansions?
>>
>>337642423
sounds like every space 4x/rts ever made.
>>
>>337637714
not only that but the fact that you can't relocate population in sectors is a fucking nightmare for slaver nations
>>
>>337640428
>giving sectors the superworlds

nigger it's your own damn fault. sectors are only for trash worlds you can't be arsed to manage.
>>
File: 1429077292664.png (425 KB, 1264x700) Image search: [Google]
1429077292664.png
425 KB, 1264x700
>>337635903
>Play generic human race
>Start is completely fucked with very few resources and all the stars spaced too far for borders to reach
>Run into a few aliens and befriend some space penguins
>Fucking mushrooms declare war for no reason and attack
>Have less than half the size of their fleet because no minerals
>Penguins actually intervene
>Save my homeworld and obliterate the shroom shitters

M-maybe the purge button isn't necessary all the time.
>>
>>337642268
Keep in mind that your first game will be fumbling around in the dark for the most part and you'll likely do fairly badly. Playing as the UN is intended to be the softball introduction to the game since its FTL and weapon types are the easiest to understand but I started with the Commonwealth of Man and loved it.
>>
>>337642423
>Who /disappointed/ here?
b-but they'll fix it in DLC!

The only game I can muster any hype for anymore is the next Deus Ex, and just kill me if they fuck that up
>>
>>337642760
>mushrooms declare war for no reason
You were an easy target with an underdeveloped fleet. That's reason enough for warmongers. If you stay around fleet max you'll never have a problem since everybody will be too afraid to go to war with you. I've colonized fallen empire holy worlds and had them too afraid to fight me over it.
>>
>>337640698
similar experience
>take over one planet shitter and purge after I get a few pops on there
>4 nations to the north see this
>I rival 3 of them after a insult
>they form "beneficial axis" to protect themselves
>tfw I am the outside xeno threat to their federation
>they declare war to liberate planets
>I kick the birdfaggot leaders shit in and occupy his planets
>war has almost no negative affect at all on me
>war goes on for 30 years since stuck at 70%
>just keep killing ships for research
>finally take planets
>purge
>super angry so another war
>purge more
fun game
>>
>>337642352

>They only do that if you delete the old design. Just save over it.

That's definitely what I've been doing. But when I sent my 15 Laser Corvettes, 5 PD Corvettes, and 5 Torpedo Corvettes to upgrade, they came out as 25 Laser Corvettes 2.0, which was the latest one I edited.
>>
>>337643013
>That's reason enough for warmongers
This, EU4 people will attack you just for your resources/provinces, at first its annoying but once you get used to it it feels weak if someone who should be able to obliterate you, doesn't. So stellaris feels weird for an EU player, sitting around with nothing happening
>>
>>337642383
ok? and every other space 4X is a moo clone
>>
>>337642760
>Play Human Fanatics
>Ally myself with a bunch of Space Jews
>We make a giant space empire
>Win multiple wars
>Split up any opposing empires
>Life is good

>Enemy must realize that my territory is the weakest link
>All destroyers and battleships, no defense
>3 different groups wage war on me at a time
>They swarm my strike fleet and destroy it
>They warp to my homeworld and destroy my space port
>Space Jews make peace and then mark me as a rival

I was a pawn ;_;
>>
>tfw I have no idea how to take over planets, make armies, even sectors
>>
>>337643513
>army tab on planet
>recruit assaults
>embark all
>right click enemy planet
>>
>>337643223
>Stellaris feels weird for an EU player
Hell I play the opening like its a fucking RTS. Max fleet cap, ultra expansion, no resource unspent, and I conquer pretty much everyone I meet in the early game since the rep mallus will have decayed by the time I meet anything that I can't just blast through (like an AI advanced start). I end up steamrolling half the galaxy every game.
>>
>make a race of physically weak cordyceps fungi whom are fascinated with biology
>find a pre-sentient race near my homeworld
>rush uplifting technology
>alter the xeno's genes, giving them +40% army damage and turning them into my main invasion force
>use them to conquer my closest rival
>enslave enemy pops
>rush gene editing technology
>start modifying enslaved xenos to make them even better slaves
>mutate my own people regularly so they can colonize normally uninhabitable planets, or further specialize in whatever resource they produce

This might be my favorite way to play so far. Society-focus best focus.
>>
>>337643120
Did you change the design name at all when editing?
>>
>>337643889
>not staying as pure as possible
>not purging even the slightest variention
>>
>>337644042
sounds like he did
>>
>>337643513
>f2 - empire
>planets tab
>top right - create new sector
>>
>>337643750
Isn't there anything else to take into consideration? Generals, strenghts and weaknesses (except the weak/strong traits), do I need several armies, do I need to build a transport ship or does it magically come? What are the advantages of that vs bombarding untill everyone is dead, can I choose to kill or enslave?
>>
File: 2016_05_14_1.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016_05_14_1.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Really? That fucking quickly? I'm on the largest map. Why the fuck am I literally surrounded by four fucking empires already? Every time I go to build an outpost, I get fucking pushed back. What the fuck.
>>
>>337644941
RNG
>>
Does "agressive observation" of natives have any cons compared to passive observation? I assume since you abduct specimens with your spooky rays the pops dissapear, making it longer for them to reach the next age?
>>
How do I win this game?
>>
>>337643223
>So stellaris feels weird for an EU player, sitting around with nothing happening

Think it's because the fog of war is much more restrictive in Stellaris; you never see others' fleets interacting unless they're dicking around in your space so the rest of the galaxy feels pretty lifeless.
>>
>>337644938
The only thing that matters for land battles are getting fort strength to zero and stacking damage numbers
>>
>>337644938
You can give armies add-on stuffs, hunter-killer drones etc. It's easy to miss
>>
>>337645102
Some races dont like it
>>
>>337645423
neat
>>
>>337645102
It makes that race hate everyone when they go space age and if you're xenophile scum government your people hate it
>>
>>337645227
Capture 40% of the map's planets or annihilate your opponents

So you'll have to annihilate them anyway to capture said 40%
>>
would you guys recommend this game right now? I kinda want to buy it.

Is this like a typical 4x4 where you wait for turns.
>>
>>337645891
No, it's real time. But you can pause and it's slow enough to be similar to turn based anyway.
Having never played a grand strategy game, I find it very similar to Civilization, just with more little awesome details.
>>
>>337645693
By opponents you mean all empires, or only non vassals/allies
>>
>>337646035
Bretty good balance between standart 4x features and paradox autism, game seems fresh compared to other space strategies popped out last few years
>>
File: 1427477623910.png (163 KB, 804x804) Image search: [Google]
1427477623910.png
163 KB, 804x804
>mfw I keep running into other human empires

well time to restart AGAIN
>>
>>337645891
It's like a barebones/non-dlc'd crusader kings2/europa universalis 4 in space. If you haven't tried either of those, don't buy it.
>>
>>337646158
I don't really know actually, it would be weird if you could just ally with everyone and win
>>
What map size you guys using?
Galaxy type?
Number of empires?
>>
Is there a way to remove/destroy colonies? Maybe bombing them until the entire planet has no civs/buildings?
The empire next to me has some great science systems but he through down way too many garbage colonies so I would be able to annex every I need/want cleanly.
>>
>>337646757
800 or 600 stars, 4 empires. I still get boxed in almost at the start, there's some bias to making them spawn right on top of you
>>
>>337646757
I started off with 17 empires and realized that was too much. It was fine until I started getting harassed by everyone to trade fucking star charts
>>
It's very barebones like every other Paradox release. Hopefully after some expansions, it'll get better.

But what fucks me off the most is the lack of automation. I want my scout ships to auto explore straight out the factory. I want one click colonization. I want sectors to not be useless as soon as you create them.
>>
>>337646757
1000 stars, 4 arm and 20 empires hoping to avoid clumping but as >>337646912 says Parafuck is retarded and makes the majority of ai spawn in your asshole regardless.
>>
>>337645891
Wait a year or two and pick it up on sale with the loads of DLC it will undoubtedly have.
>>
>>337646757

Various

Elliptical seems best for 1000 stars

spiral sucks dick

Ring is cool, but at 1000 stars it's way full of stars
>>
File: 100_3760-2.jpg (73 KB, 570x596) Image search: [Google]
100_3760-2.jpg
73 KB, 570x596
What should I look for when making a ship in the designer?
What weapons should I use?
>>
Ship question here:
Armor or Shield?
Or both?
>>
>>337647465
Corvettes focusing on evasion.
>>
>>337635903
i have this weird opinion of this game where i simultaneously love and hate it at the same time
>>
>>337647616
Explosive weapons good?
Kinetic seems absolutely lackluster.
>>
>observation post on an atomic age civilization
>use covert infiltration option to make the planet mine
>going well, even get an abduct scientist mission, but postpone doing it
>suddenly things go south and they nuke each other
>planet becomes barren nuclear wasteland
>casually do the abduct scientist mission decades after that incident
>i still get a scientist
my god this game
>>
>>337647697
Some weapons are good against shields.
Some are good against armor
>>
>>337647465
Armor penetration weapons are your best friend, deflectors are your best friends. If you're starting off in a new game use missiles until you get armor penetration weapons.
>>
>>337637714
The reason none of your rivals want to trade for E is because they all have shitloads, you can see this when you try buying Minerals. They'll trade shitloads of E for just 10 M
>>
>>337635903
So, idk if you remember CK2, but when it came out it was a visage of what it is now. They changed so much of that game, and updated everything not including the DLC.

Remember assassinations in original CK2? It was shit. Basically you got to a % chance and if you made the dice roll, it just happened. No role play, no intrigue, no bribes, just "that dude died". It was retarded that anyone who started in Spain could consolidate power in 2 days.
>>
what happens when you manage to integrate someone?
it's taking forever for this other empire beside me to be integrated and there's sometimes the unlucky year where he just declares war on me anyway (which I load a save because I really don't want to fight him, I went to war with him and won a big engagement using point defense against his missile ships, he became my vassal but right now his fleet is 'stronger' than mine)
>>
>>337637340
Whats wrong with them?
>>
>>337648118
You get everything from him at no additional unhappiness. It's best to integrate a population with close ethos to yours since that will mean no unhappiness.
>>
>>337646757
elliptical
39 empires

thought it would go slow but it runs fine
>>
>do aggressive observation on an atomic age civilization
>civilization gets pissed over the abductions
>actually starts getting their shit together and unting
>form their own X-COM of sorts to counter it
>develop into a space-faring civilization and actually destroy my post
>finally get into space over a century or so
>promptly crush them with my massive fleet and make them into a protectorate
Almost felt bad about it desu
>>
whoever thought of putting a hard limit on planets is a horrible piece of shit. Sectors give maximum 75% resources to you? what bullshit is this
>>
File: boxed in.jpg (397 KB, 1918x1078) Image search: [Google]
boxed in.jpg
397 KB, 1918x1078
>>337646757
Daily reminder that ring is horseshit and if you hate getting surrounded by empires in a normal game then prepare your fucking anus
>>
File: Screenshot (58).png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (58).png
1 MB, 1366x768
>>337635903

Is this a glitch in the game? These stations used to be mine, but now they're unidentified.
>>
>pacifistic hyperlane civ/military juggernaut
>Unbidden invade
>start fucking up neighbors
>can't reach them without declaring war on the neighboring federation because "lol no military passage"
>have to wait for the Unbidden to roll out four fleets before I can finally get an in on their core world
>decimate every one
>make it to the portal
>three fleets converge
>take them down one by one until they're left with a single battleship
>my fleet is almost dead
>another armada warps in
Fuck this shit.
>>
>>337649230
ring is ez mode
>>
File: Dragon Reborn Empire v3 unbidden.jpg (528 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Reborn Empire v3 unbidden.jpg
528 KB, 1920x1080
The Dragon Reborn spreads!
>>
Decided to pirate first. Best decision I made in months.

The 6.3 IGN score was completely correct. Seems like most devs these days put a shit ton of effort into the early game, and completely forget about any gameplay past the 30 min part. Most people (ITT: retarded casuals) won't watch streamers/LPs past the 30min mark. They have a false impression of the game, waste their money, then come here to bitch saying "WHY DID YOU LIE TO ME, /v/???".

Always, and I mean ALWAYS, pirate first, no matter what the pre-order bonuses are. These devs are getting more cocky/sleazy with their tricks.
>>
godamn it I want this game. but anons telling me to wait a year.
>>
File: Untitled.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
I did a science event which gave me this ship, how do I reverse engineer the tech?
>>
So I have two neighbors, one is weaker than me and one has better tech than me. Which one should I go to war with?
>>
>>337651147
You can not
>>
>>337651147
get it blown up and pray. then get a ship to scan debris?
>>
How much area do Frontier Outposts give? Is it just for the star its built on or can it cover multiple?
>>
>>337651119
I got impatient and bought it early. While I agree with most of the stuff said here, I think it's still good enough that I dont regret my decision.
>>
>>337652030
Depends on the proximity of the systems.
>>
File: 1463203111003.jpg (99 KB, 745x596) Image search: [Google]
1463203111003.jpg
99 KB, 745x596
>>337651119
it's still fun, i have over 28 hours already, it has problems but i still find myself enjoying it
>>
>>337652030
It can cover multip[le if they are close enough and it's border very slowly increase. Just save it and put one to test how much area you get.
>>
File: 2016_05_14_2.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016_05_14_2.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
I was able to conquer a rival empire. Now the little fucks do nothing, but strike. How can I get them to stop fucking around and get happy?

Should I just purge them? Replace them all with Humans and Robots?
>>
>>337652704
Enslave them .Or purge. Whichever you are in the mood for.
>>
>>337652704
Enslave them
>>
>>337652704
Slaves don't get to go on a strike
>>
File: 1461988341492.gif (864 KB, 605x295) Image search: [Google]
1461988341492.gif
864 KB, 605x295
>>337652865
>>337652862
>>337652837
Ah, I didn't want to enable slavery, but since those little shits don't want to work I guess I have no choice.
>>
>>337646757
my last game was max size/empires, after 200 years my rig was starting to crawl

the new one is is a small galaxy
>>
>>337646757
600-800 stars
20 empires
no empire gets an advanced start
ellipse

next game I'm gonna restrict everyone to hyperspace, haven't tried that yet but seems fun.
>>
At what year is the best to start destroying other factions?

Everytime I try to start conquer other worlds one of my neighbours is twice size of my own faction. And that scares me how fast did the grow compared to me.
>>
>>337651119
I pirated it. it's not that bad. I'll probably buy it when it goes on sale.

weird scenarios though, it's almost like you're playing a roguelike with the sheer number of anomalies you can encounter
>>
File: 20160515004033_1.jpg (335 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160515004033_1.jpg
335 KB, 1920x1080
Well, it was about time
>>
>>337652704
Or you can sell them to someone for a lot of money.

And then use that money to rebuild a fleet and attack the person you sold it to, and sell THEM to somebody else... and repeat.
>>
What weapons and defence should I use against the unbidden?
>>
>>337654552
I couldn't set to purge or enslave them. I decided to wait them out. When they finally break free, they fucking had a stronger fleet than my own! I was still able to win and now I'm going to bomb the planet until nothing is left. Fuck them. I'll purge their kind. Their other planet that lost their chance to repel is getting filled with Robots so they can't rise up like that.
>>
>assimilate neighbor
>wait literally 10 years
>you don't get their tech
what the actual FUCK is wrong with these devs
>>
>>337649282
pretty sure that the system has been pushed out of your borders
>>
File: 20160513183815_1.jpg (371 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160513183815_1.jpg
371 KB, 1920x1080
>Make 40k humans.
>Meet aliens.
They got one thing right.
>>
>>337635903
Why is the AI so fucking retarded in that they'll make federations with other aliens across the map so when you war them you can't win the war because there's enemy planets and fleets between you and five other alien empires capable of doing nothing, but somehow still being relevant?

That's the worst fucking thing, can't conquest for shit...why don't radical purifiers get the ability to bomb a planet into nothing instead of having to claim the planet and then purge it of all life? Fuck balance, the universe is a scary cold place
>>
>>337636307
That's funny because I have a game where I have two fleets of 23,000 and the moment I toggle "observe" on the AI that takes over my shit immediately splits all those fleets down to like 5k each and then goes full retard with them.

A better question is why does the AI pretty much only choose to drown you in shitty corvettes because 60% evasion is better than 60% armoured battleships, despite missiles having 100% accuracy and capability to wipe corvettes in one shot.

Or that M and L weapons are a waste of time because battles turn into giant clusterfucks at 5 range so the only weapons that matter are torpedos for the initial volley and then kinetic/energy close range DAKKADAKKADAKKA spewers, all small sized, for highest DPS.

Unfinished and terrible, but still quite playable. It sure does need a lot of fucking work though.
>>
File: 1243525223.jpg (124 KB, 667x719) Image search: [Google]
1243525223.jpg
124 KB, 667x719
>colonized 75% of the galaxy
>'relative power of subjects' -1000 over all my vassals
>no one has revolted

When does this get challenging? Once you vassalise someone and then use your combined fleets to vassalise someone else and so on and so on you are essentially unstoppable.
>>
>>337636307
what matters is the war-score. So if they have just 1 colossal fleet, you can sleep your feet into maybe 2 or 3 small ones and make just like 3 groups of 3 armies each and you'll be able to pick off planets while they have to move around their 1 colossal fleet.
>>
File: 20160515022856_1.jpg (338 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
20160515022856_1.jpg
338 KB, 1680x1050
>Make two variations of each race from Starcraft
>Infested, Zerg Swarm, Khalai, Nerazim, Dominion, Confederacy and my race the Purifiers
>Start the game on a ring world, begin build and explore
>Come across artifact-temples in regions surrounding mine of Protoss origin, look for more
>Come across the Zerg Swarm soon enough, immediate aggression from their end
>Without hesitation, having coincidentally enough range on my wormholes to reach Char, I declare war
>I wait until their forces are halfway to my own before I send my fleet directly to the Zerg homeworld
>After destroying everything in that solar system, with Char down halfway its health, the Zerg surrender
>I make the Zerg Swarm my vassals and force them to cede Char, where I proceed to purge and purify the planet
>The Zerg are left to their own devices as I begin to surround them in territory until I find the bother to finish them for good
>While expending, I come across the wary Nerazim faction, suspicious of our empire

That's where I've gotten so far. The Nerazim and Terran Confederacy seem to be close-sh, in distance and diplomacy, so I'll continue to remain neutral to them for now. Goddamn it's good to feel the power of the Conclave set forth once more.
>>
>>337641990
>we're mad because we didn't know it'd be a simplified version
really?

How did you not know? I mean it's Paradox for fucks sake
>>
>>337656361

Beautiful, beautiful heretical xeno scum burning by holy fire.
>>
File: 1457018776864.jpg (205 KB, 747x839) Image search: [Google]
1457018776864.jpg
205 KB, 747x839
>>337656361
>>
>>337651119

It's fucking $30, come on now.
>>
>>337656654
>vassalised 75% of the galaxy*
>>
Is there any way to SCORCHED EARTH some motherfuckers and just destroy their empire? Or are you just supposed to vassalize them?
>>
>try to build military empire
>always fail

>I attack too early = ships too weak to crush fleet and spaceport
>too late = already in an alliance

Fuck any tips how to be a succesful purger and enslaver?
>>
What's the drawback to wormhole generators? Other than having to build the generators in the first place.

Seem like the best FTL by far.
>>
>>337656361
>impirium
Really buddy? REALLY?
>>
>>337657262

You need to have them cede their territories. If you don't think you can do that and don't mind making enemies, then simply vassalize them and tear them apart piece by piece over time (if you don't mind the rest of the omniverse hating you).
>>
>>337657294
Reach cap asap, then declare war. Don't fight near their station and try to engage their fleet out of their planet

Pray to RNG gods that your neighbor is a pacifist and hasn't really built an army
>>
>>337656361
>Impirium
start over you fucking retard and kill yourself
>>
>>337657335
It triggers an event.
spoilers ofcourse
It brings interdimmensional beings to invade the galaxy
>>
>>337657335
the bigger the fleet, the longer a portal takes to spawn. It takes (200 + fleetSize) / 13 days for a wormhole to be generated, rounded up
>>
>>337646372
It plays absolutely nothing like CK2. I've never really delved into EU4, but if it's anything like EU3 then Stellaris isn't like that either.
>>
>>337646372
t. liquor lord
>>
>>337645891
Imagine Civilization 5 with less features overall but a few, and I mean FEW unique little features that are kind of cool and some small differences + RNG and then put it in space.
>>
>>337657534
>the bigger the fleet, the longer a portal takes to spawn. It takes (200 + fleetSize) / 13 days for a wormhole to be generated, rounded up
Can you not just build multiple wormhole generators to speed things up?
>>
>be human with preference of Continental World
>integrate some cool xenos with Arid World preference
>build a colony ship on their home planet
>try to colonize an Arid World
>don't have Arid World colonization
okay, I think it's time I uninstalled this piece of shit game. this is unacceptable.
>>
>Important custom portrait.
>Gas-mask wearing fellow in a hood.
>Looks like a Stalker crossed with the Death Korps of Krieg.
>Choose them to be communal, breed fast, and hardy, but sedentary.
>Autocratic government. They're all just small cogs in a massive war machine.
>Set up a glorious economy and industry.
>Have a pure empire of our race only, and robots.
>Most Xenos are purged. Only the humanoid ones can remain.
>Go on a crusade against Fungal xenos because fuck them.
>AI demands rights.
>They don't deserve anymore rights than our people have, who are basically glorified slave workers.
>It ends in our empire being toppled.
>But we stuck to our values.

Game needs more roleplay options to be honest. More play styles.
>>
>>337635903
plz buy stellaris
>>
>>337657294
Attack in the mid part then dummy
>>
>>337635903
I love the fact that the AI never declare war unless they know they can win. They'll never do shit even if you push them extremely hard, declare rivalry, steal borders, purge planets of alien life, insult them regularly...unless they have what seems like +20% bigger fleet size or what passes for SUPERIOR in all the power, they won't attack.

If they declare war, unless you can pump out ships or stall them in anyway, you know it's over already - unless you have fantastic fleet compsition such as corvette shield set up to shoot down missiles and the AI decided to go with missiles etc.

I set up a game once, gave my starting race max minerals/energy/influence and used the finish_research a bunch of times until they got the "dangerous" technology, then turned observe on, zoomed out, put it on max speed and went sleep. Woke up around year 2400 and the map had hardly changed...a couple of AI that struck first had ballooned big, surrounded by many smaller empires, and my original empire was only about the size of a fallen one.

AI needs a serious fix. They're fucking useless at everything.

Especially since there's only two fucking ways to win right now, take 40% of the planets in the galaxy, or kill every other empire in it.
>>
>>337657335

They're extremely weak, and if you chain single ones from Point A to B to C and they break B, your fleets will be stranded. You're right though, they're fucking great.

>Send out three construction ships into three different regions
>Build three worm holes
>Be able to warp in any amount of your army at any given time to any place in their empire
>>
>>337657729
>Can you not just build multiple wormhole generators to speed things up?
Sure, but that's just more shit you have to deal with. And I'm not actually sure the AI will use a "free" station instead of just the nearest one, even if it's in use
>>
>>337657746
it kiiiinda makes sense seeing how YOU are the one building the ship

it's all human tech, but you populate it with aliens. The problem is that your tech isn't up to par to actually be sustainable on an arid world.

Even though the aliens would love to live there you just don't know how to build them houses there yet.
>>
>>337657470
>Reach cap asap
?? What's that
>>
Can I see somewhere what the Gamesetup was?
>>
>>337657913
but they should be able to do that themselves

I think the problem is, and their ships are better than mine, by integrating them they suddenly lose the ability to use all their tech. their ship designs are lost, all the tech is lost.
>>
>>337641661
That's like 20% chance a month to kill one pop OR create a tile blocker. So that's literally a year or two of your fleet wasting time being anchored to an enemy planet instead of defending your empire, and that's assuming you hit that 20% every month in game.

We need shit like Novalith Cannons from Sins of a Solar empire, or the ability to use terraforming ala Spore to fuck a planet completely, cool the inner core so it turns barren, or nuke it into a toxic world, or make a desert world an ocean world...something cool and brutal.
>>
File: somethingswrong.jpg (89 KB, 889x743) Image search: [Google]
somethingswrong.jpg
89 KB, 889x743
>Spic/nip genes found to hold immortality
>>
>>337657516
Nope that's the fallen empire FTL drives.
>>
>>337657927
ship cap limit m8.
>>
>>337658038
>or nuke it into a toxic world, or make a desert world an ocean world...something cool and brutal.
There's already tomb worlds out there suffering from nuclear winter.

Would be cool if you could artificially make that happen from bombardment.
>>
>>337641957
> Research Gene-Therapy
> Random planet immediately decides to abuse it
> Suddenly create a new race amongst themselves
> Called Radroach-Mutalis
> Start a chain where I aparently agree and that they attack and bomb the planets other pure species, sabotage buildings and protest is okay
> I aparently can only allow them to do more shit and stop people attacking them on the planet in protest of their shitty new race
> They begin experimenting with their young and now the population outbreeds and outgrows the original pure Radroach population
> Decide that even though I'm aparently 100% on their side to purge the planet of their filth
> Do so, all Radroach-Mutalis are dead, planet basically empty save for 2 pure Radroach.
> It's never mentioned ever again
>>
>>337658156
Yeah especially since a late game tech to colonise those worlds comes up anyway, it wouldn't make the game unplayable by filling the galaxy with dead worlds anyway. Would even be potentially adding a new CRISIS by making mutant aliens appear and attack the galaxy if too many tomb worlds exist in certain radius of each other.

Planet Earth exists in the game as a tomb world, and its full of mutant cockroaches that eventually achieve space flight and become a race among the stars, so I know that kind of thing is feasible.
>>
>obsessing over the most barebones and casual paradox game to date for this many days in a row

>playing humans in a game with aliens

You guuuuuuuuuuys.
>>
File: 1461880742308.jpg (14 KB, 324x451) Image search: [Google]
1461880742308.jpg
14 KB, 324x451
>>337658449

>Planet Earth exists in the game as a tomb world, and its full of mutant cockroaches that eventually achieve space flight and become a race among the stars
>>
>>337658449
Planet earth was populated by Humans in my game.
They reached space age and became my protectorat.
They live on three planets now.
>>
>>337657470

You must go way above cap to win an early game war
>>
>>337658449
my humans were stuck in feudalism
>>
>>337658449
Planet Earth was populated by humans in my game but they had the EXACT same symbol and colour as my empire, so I purged them.
>>
File: 1462312688888.gif (2 MB, 350x255) Image search: [Google]
1462312688888.gif
2 MB, 350x255
>>337658654

That's awesome
>>
>>337658449
>Planet Earth exists in the game as a tomb world, and its full of mutant cockroaches that eventually achieve space flight and become a race among the stars, so I know that kind of thing is feasible.
But what if my homeworld is already earth?
>>
File: nigga222.jpg (642 KB, 1498x838) Image search: [Google]
nigga222.jpg
642 KB, 1498x838
>>337658592
>>337658654
>>337658737
>>337658767
I have yet to encounter humans and now I want to. Thanks for letting me know they can come in other flavours than that though.

I figured SJW type faggotry was afoot in that PUTIN IS GONNA BLOW US ALL UP or something Swedish like that was the reason I only ever found it wrecked lol.

Cockroaches will be the only thing to survive!
>>
>>337658767
omb4 le epik 40k may mays
>>
they've gotta do something about this 'technology is lost when you're integrated' bullshit
>>
Is there a way to speed up uplifting? I've got a station that's reading +0 per month (it's still progressing, so I imagine it's <1 per month).

Also, I've found a planet with Bronze Age natives, but I can't put an observation station in orbit around it. What's up with that?
>>
>>337659082
>but I can't put an observation station in orbit around it. What's up with that?
not within your borders?
>>
>>337659082

Is the planet within your borders?
>>
>>337659082
was it in your borders?
did it already have a mining/research station?
>>
>>337658897
Uplift them, they deserve it.
>>
File: stagnant fucking empire.jpg (277 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
stagnant fucking empire.jpg
277 KB, 1920x1080
>>337635903
Ring maps suck don't ever play on those. No Fallen Empires spawn, and the AI will literally just make federations/alliances either side of your empire so whenever you declare war you have to fight both sides at once.

Also they'll make alliances so far back behind neutral territory that you can't even fucking fight them when you do go to war, leading to warscores stuck at 20%

They need to add areas of space that can't be controlled by any empire, so you can travel through space as much as you like without this border shit.

That, or add fucking cloaking that lets you go through enemy territory at major reduced speed or something...cause that shit's gay. I literally can't play my current game anymore because of it
>>
File: 1446885196597-2.gif (947 KB, 345x502) Image search: [Google]
1446885196597-2.gif
947 KB, 345x502
Since everyone seems to be hating into this game, what are so good alternatives?
>>
>>337658897
I once found a planet under ww2, was p cool
>>
>>337659307
Hey bud, the use of the word "literally" wasn't necessary there.
>>
>>337659375
Sins of a Solar Empire

Spore (lol)

...and many more
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 87

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.