[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which RPG gives you more creative freedom in role playing than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 16
File: RPG.jpg (174 KB, 1600x516) Image search: [Google]
RPG.jpg
174 KB, 1600x516
Which RPG gives you more creative freedom in role playing than any other?
>>
no such game since every thing is WoW copycat and wow doesnt offer such
>>
>>333587676
Who in their right mind would copy a cat?
>>
>>333588251
A copy cat is a cat copying other things. nobody would copy a cat
>>
>>333587676
You know games other than MMO's exist right? I'm genuinely worried that you might not. Perhaps you should seek professional help
>>
>>333588318
Unless the copy the copy cat wanted to copy was a cat in the first place
>>
>>333587615
The Tabletop ones.
>>
>>333587615
Now that I think about it, there isnt any game with;
>a wide selection of races
>a wide selection of classes
>a wide selection of abilities/builds
>good combat (DD/Souls/MH/tldr any action combat)
>coop

Hell, even something so simple as just running harder and harder dungeons would do.

Considering how popular action combat is, and RPGs, and online, you would think more people would make games with those features. Like a Destiny or Borderlands game but in a fantasy setting.
>>
>>333587615
have you tried pillars of eternity? I've only seen my friend play it butt it seemed fucking nuts.
>>
>>333588396
Anon, please. Don't trigger the underage trying to fit in.
>>
>>333587615

Art from which game?
>>
>>333588527
Lack of races in RPGs is something that really pisses me off. Worse is when the game have quite a few, but they're just human variations.
>>
>>333588318
The world's first clone was a cat accurately named 'copycat'
>>
>>333588412
but what if the cat that the copycat wanted to copy was actually a copycat copying a cat?
>>
>>333587615
Dragon's Dogma, objectively.
>>
>>333589123
>only one race
that dark souls clone isn't even close.
>>
>>333589123
i love dragons dogma, but i wouldnt agree
>>
>>333589194
>only one race
You can be white, black, Asian, or purple, there are plenty of races!
>>
>>333589194
Why do you need different races to role play? Do you not have any imagination?

Dragons Dogma has the greatest freedom of gameplay as it allows you to switch class at any time without any hindrance on the characters performance. Also taking the romance away from the player and making it random feels more real unless you look up a guide.
>>
>>333588957
I put "fantasy characters" into google
>>
>>333589290
>change colors for different races :^)
Where are my elves? dwarves? girlybois? orcs?!
>>
>>333589418
Does it have cheat codes?
>>
Daggerfall had a nice system where you can choose your own weaknesses/limitations for strengths/perks. Even can have your character have phobias. With character creators nowadays I don't see why games don't let you create races. Hell some games let you download/upload characters so it could be the same for races and the devs or a player vote system can pick their favorite say Orc of the listings and have that be the recommended Orc race.
>>
File: frustration[1].jpg (43 KB, 1012x848) Image search: [Google]
frustration[1].jpg
43 KB, 1012x848
>EQ2 was my first MMO
>19 fucking races, giving with both realistic animal races and human colors
>24 fucking classes, with some being restricted to a certain alignment
>Some races locked behind an alignment but can do a lengthy questline to switch factions
>All in 2004
>MMOs now have gender-locked class
WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED
>>
>>333588967
Are there any RPGs which let you play as humanoids and animals characters which aren't anthropomorphic?
>>
>>333589194
>Dark Souls clone
Ok so is it a Souls clone now, an Elder Scrolls clone, or a Monster Hunter clone, the meme keeps changing
>>
>>333589440
>tolkein shit
You can make loli's and that's all that's required.
>>
>>333589440
I was joking of course, but there are pointy ears in the game, so combined with the other options you could make an elf, even if your stats aren't impacted and elves aren't mentioned by anyone in game.
>>
>>333587615
Roleplaying in what sense? Build variety? Character customization?

If you're talking about roleplaying a specific personality or such, then none of them, play a Tabletop game.

But not any tabletop game with dialogue mechanics. Fuck knows what dumb asshole decided to make dialogue a fucking dice roll.
>>
Dungeons and Dragons.
>>
>>333589651
>tabletop game with dialogue mechanics
Those exist? What are they called? It isn't a role playing game as you are unable to play the role in such a case.
>>
>>333589651
Since when is there tabletops with dialogue mechanics? At best, I'll make the players roll if they're attempting to persuade as a speech check but that's it.
>>
>>333589651
>not wanting to talk like a bear for a full game
Rawr xD
>>
>>333588527
Because that would be expensive as fuck

You would have to do a fuckton of animations and make a shitload of assets for all of the different classes, abilities, and potentially races, assuming you're not just going to copypasta humans and make them a different color

It would easily demand a AAA level budget, possibly more, assuming it isn't just a pixel game
>>
>>333589730
>>333589785
Pathfinder, Paizo, 3.5e onwards - anything with "intimidate" "persuade" "bluff" as skills.

That should always be on the player to roleplay it and the GM's call.
>>
>>333588527
Good combat and co-op are really the sticking points here, those cost quite a bit to implement.
>>
>>333589560
>MMOs now have gender-locked class

you trying to say you don't support gender equality, anon? My, my...
>>
>>333589913
Think he is, anon.
>>
No because i can't be a skeleton lich
The bones, the bones
>>
>>333590278
many games would benefit with having a super evil class. I would imagine all guards and soldiers would be hostile on sight, and you would need to do a variety of quests to upgrade your powers and raise the dead
>>
>>333587615
tabletop since you are only limited by your imagination
>>
>>333590404
I think it'd be better as something you stumble across.
>>
>>333589651
>>333589651
Do you have much experience with D&D? I've really wanted to get into it, there's a game club near my house I want to check out.

Are people generally OK with big enthusiasm in role playing? Dumb question I'm sure. I want to get dressed up, speak in an accent, never break character and all that. I'm fine with looking unusual I just don't want to do anything game breaking. I'm also tall, fit and really handsome but I grew up sitting inside all day playing Rome Total War so I empathise with and totally get along with those kinds of guys. Should I expect people to be dickish?
>>
File: Betrayal_Token.png (96 KB, 307x330) Image search: [Google]
Betrayal_Token.png
96 KB, 307x330
>>333590404
Not really, most games would just benefit from having actually employed alignment system of some kind. Even Everquest which had a binary good vs evil alignment worked out with the whole betrayal questline and shit compared to WoW's written in stone Horde vs Alliance.
>>
File: 1451952989676.png (102 KB, 453x443) Image search: [Google]
1451952989676.png
102 KB, 453x443
>>333590870
Some groups are more ok with it than others.

Most groups I've played with enjoy the embellishment, but every now and then you get a no fun powergamer type that just wants to make big numbers appear and could give a rat's ass about anything else.
>>
>>333590870
Depends on the group.

Avoid munchkins at all costs. Otherwise, absolutely, most DMs love a player who actually wants to roleplay and isn't just there to "win the game".
>>
>>333590964
>powergamer type that just wants to make big numbers appear

Could you elaborate on this so I avoid doing it?
>>
File: d&d_covers-2-3-4-5.jpg (450 KB, 1758x582) Image search: [Google]
d&d_covers-2-3-4-5.jpg
450 KB, 1758x582
>>333590870
Which edition of D&D? Because they're wildly different.

>Are people generally OK with big enthusiasm in role playing? Dumb question I'm sure. I want to get dressed up, speak in an accent, never break character and all that.
Well yes, that's part of roleplaying. Of course it depends entirely on the group you run with because some don't really care and want to treat it as murder simulator and picking loot, while others are all about stories and characters. Most fall somewhere in between, though. I would point that if you actually want to ROLEPLAY there are far better games and systems than D&D.
>>
>>333589850
>That should always be on the player to roleplay it and the GM's call.

This. I would never stand for "I roll my dice and see if my Diplomacy check passes". Nuh-uh, fuck that shit. You're gonna roleplay it out and if you do well I might even throw a bonus dice in the roll.
>>
>>333591018
Basically if you pour over the books and abilities to specifically pick the class that does the most damage and the most broken abilities and your role playing consists of "I go to the weapon store and buy new thing".
That's the type of player I'm talking about.

If you actually play a role and choose options that follow along that role in terms of class, actions, and speech, that's already leagues better.

It's best to not go full on in either way until you get a good feel of the group you'll be playing with. When you're friends it's far easier to be ok with that one guy in a cloak and speaking ye olde english than if they just came up to you in a random restaurant.
>>
>>333591018
it's your roleplaying equivalent of min-maxers in video games. they're called munchkins.
>>
>>333589850
Those mechanics are there for socially retarded players who can't actually put up a convincing argument but would like to play as a cha class. Givem a break.
>>
File: ABitOfMadness.jpg (23 KB, 217x245) Image search: [Google]
ABitOfMadness.jpg
23 KB, 217x245
>>333591153
>Playing a campaign
>We get arrested while trying to do justice
>Judge gives us a chance to speak our case
>We roleplay it out
>Fuck yes, those few years of improv I did are going to win us freedom
>Make up awesome speech
>Entire table is nodding in approval
>Now to the do diplomacy roll to see how well it came out
>Roll a 2

GM made it pass anyway.
>>
File: warhammers64Y1s261340a.jpg (182 KB, 800x640) Image search: [Google]
warhammers64Y1s261340a.jpg
182 KB, 800x640
>>333589560
Development costs went up, cuts were made. Also, while not exactly a case with Everquest, in most of these games with high class numbers more than half of them bare basically mirror classes.
>>
>>333591153
I'd accept description of intent if a player is bad with words or awkward in situations like that. Not "I intimidate the guy", but "I grab him, push him against the wall and threaten his life" would get a pass. Same with description of the gist of your argument for diplomacy or bluff.
>>
>>333590964
>filename

To be fair DMs will fudge rolls at times to not fuck over the players, especially if it's just shitty luck and not their own fault. Unless you're playing something like Call of Chtulhu or something where players dying or going crazy is expected.
>>
>>333590870
>I want to get dressed up, speak in an accent, never break character and all that.
Having been playing tabletop for 11 years, I suggest asking your group first because that definitely doesn't fit most people. Even in more serious groups, OOC questions are common and dressing up as your character is very unusual.
Look into LARPing.
>>
>>333590870
In general, join random groups only if you've played before or if you know someone. For someone who hasn't had experience with DnD, I'd recommend starting a group with friends or joining a group where someone you know plays.
>>
>>333591470
He'd probably just be seen as endearingly kooky unless his character sucked.
>>
>>333591313
touch the cow
>>
>>333591459
I adore a good DM that fudges rolls in both ways to keep the pace going.

But every now and then, and when I've DM I've done this as well, you roll to see how much damage they take and you lose your poker face when you see how much it is.
At that point you can't really fall back on the fudge ability.

Though there are also the times you don't fudge at all, the players call bullshit, and you roll outside the screen and roll higher than before.
>>
>>333591290
Not really, they're there for objective mechanical enforcement. You might as well as they same thing about every other rule in the book if you're going down that road. There are games that don't even use dice, like Amber 5th Age and others, or are entirely narrative-driven, but those generally required all the players to be on the same page so to speak.
>>
>>333591587
Honestly, if a new player came to my group dressed as his character? My first thought would be "weirdo" and I would probably be wary that he thinks he is his character.

And I play mostly indie games with a focus on roleplaying as opposed to rollplaying.
>>
>>333588527
>good combat
>(DD/Souls/MH/tldr any action combat)
>good combat
>what is opinions
>>
File: lovely people_face.jpg (31 KB, 500x200) Image search: [Google]
lovely people_face.jpg
31 KB, 500x200
>it's a "/v/ discusses roleplaying" thread
>>
File: 1450555360383.jpg (594 KB, 2792x2732) Image search: [Google]
1450555360383.jpg
594 KB, 2792x2732
>>333588251
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gWXwbToNpA
>>
>>333591717
Well, I would argue that turn-based isn't a very good medium for full RPG character exploration.

Since regardless of the style of attack you do it'll always boil down to select option->see damage.

Being able to use functionally different weapons well is a hallmark of a lot of those style games, which I feel can lend itself to letting the player feel that their choice in terms of combat method is a character choice instead of a simple number one.
>>
>>333591695
To be fair, it's in the nature of this hobby to see everyone else as a weirdo and be reserved at first until you get accustomed to those people. Then you just accept the crazy and realize you're talking about fantasy.
>>
>>333591857
cRPGs - ones with good combat, at least - have a major focus on manovuering and positioning, with side/back attacks doing more damage with more chance to hit.

Combined with cumulative status effects and the like. It can maintain the ratio of decisions/minute to DMC and the like with enough viable complexity.
>>
>>333591926
True, and the opposite of my point is also true like in Skyrim where it's a contest of seeing how long you can hold down your mouse button of how fast you can click it.

I feel though that an Action RPG has a more favorable chance of being a game where by the end you're fighting with something that you can feel is yours, and not just what the game gives you.

Might just be the fact that I'm a huge Monster Hunter fan though.
That is a distinct possibility.
>>
>>333592039
I'd say there's more that enough room for both approaches, the current market isn't exactly inundated with quality RPGs.
>>
> tfw play D&D with 4 guys.
> tfw next session it turns to 6 guys.
> Guys we can't do more people. "ITLL BE FINE!"
> tfw its now 9 people.
> tfw everyone complains about it taking so long.

I wouldn't mind getting together to play other, less intensive games that aren't continuous, and at this point it's just an excuse to get together and get drunk, but it makes me feel like shit trying to wrangle these retards.
>>
>>333592724
At that point you might want to consider moving to boardgames.
>>
>>333587615
DnD
>>
File: 1452553890853.png (36 KB, 248x248) Image search: [Google]
1452553890853.png
36 KB, 248x248
>>333592724
>Decide to do d20 campaign
>About 10 people interested
>Know at least half of them are just curious and won't see it through passed the first game
>Have a big old grand adventure set up for the 1st day
>Key part is that at the end the group gets split up in some way
>See who wants to play again
>Those guys miraculously managed to be in the group that lived somehow
>>
4 is the sweet spot for tabletop games, I've found.
>>
File: 1459023170993.png (969 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1459023170993.png
969 KB, 1366x768
>>333587615
Next question.
>>
>>333592769

Pretty much what we do, only every now and then its D&D. I really like DMing though, and those original 4 friends are great at it when i can actually take the time to craft good encounters and roleplay with them. When theres more than 6 combat is impossible to balance and 9 dudes all rolling checks means it's statistically likely that they're going to pass everything.

I'm thinking about moving them to a city campaign where i can set up a guild hall and just do sessions with those core 4 and 1-2 of the remaining 5 coming every once in a while rather than being a static core of 9 players.
>>
>>333593070
Lack of balance isn't fun when encounters are based around a median and you're either getting slaughtered or snoozing your way through combat.

Course, the one advantage videogames have over tabletops is that utterly breaking the game isn't a big deal.
>>
File: 1356240797041.png (1 MB, 852x854) Image search: [Google]
1356240797041.png
1 MB, 852x854
>>333593070
>your guild can make a raid
>you can make yourself a literal god
>you can make NPCs that match your level if you want
>theres only one super rare item in the server
>oldest guilds have all of them
>they always place at the end of their raids
>mfw all guild raids are filled with bullshit god npcs
>>
>>333593353
Well, you can become a god in Wurm Online. You can even get your own religion and bestow bonuses on follows. One or couple of guys even did it, somehow.
>>
>>333593302

Oh speaking of this.

Anybody got any cool encounters that aren't exactly combat oriented i can put in a city setting? I've already got quite a few, but i'm putting together a whole campaign set in this one urban environment and am stretched for ideas that aren't Dungeon, Combat or Wilderness related.
>>
>>333592724
To be fair, players generally fall off and you end up with half of what you started with in most games. I guess you're just (un)lucky enough to have them all stick around.
>>
>>333593668

It's an excuse for all my autistic friends to hang out. They can't just say "Hey lets get together at my place once a month, get drunk and hang out" there has to be a pretense.

It's really annoying.
>>
File: 1448941513234.png (296 KB, 649x649) Image search: [Google]
1448941513234.png
296 KB, 649x649
>op asks for rpg
>thread devolves into mmo degeneracy
>>
>>333593749
me and my friends did this for years until our schedules got more busy. we're starting to do it again since our schedules are opening up. we'll play vidya, eat food, and sometimes drink. long conversations ensue after food for some reason but always a good time.
>>
>>333587615
I guess the ever quest series.
You can be so many races, each align with good or bad, and you can choose to defect, build your own house, wear all kinds of gear then wear your favorite gear over it. but that's an mmo.
>>
>>333592039
Turn Based gameplay does have a single major advantage (that's rarely taking full advantage of sadly) in the form of presenting the player with a lot more options in combat than a more action based system ever could

a good example of this are the various roguelikes which are build around the turn based system and use the fact that the player has technically infinite time to consider every move in the game by also requiring the player to get creative with the game's resources
>>
>>333590870
Hey, I asked over on /tg/:
>>>/tg/46539264

As I thought the answers are pretty varied, so ask before you join a game to know if it would fit.
>>
>>333594202
a lot of races is not necessarily a good thing

eventually you end up with "creativity vomit" where just any half-assed half-formed idea is included to have diversity for the sake of diversity and the end result is still incredibly generic with half your game being forehead aliens with a single culture and a gimmicky way of speaking.

Honestly I prefer a setting with a few well thought out species that each have a wide variety of cultures and only the humans in that setting have any human trait. Things like the generic scottish dwarf should not exist.
>>
>>333593563
Some setups I've used in the past

>Spooky haunted abandoned house. Owner is a vampire wizard who lies staked in the basement.
>Two secret cults need random object PCs picked up somewhere (I usually seed my adventures full of neat looking innocuous shit that can come up later) / person PCs care for / something entirely different
>Someone needs something heavily magically guarded stolen
>Wizard / PCs does something wrong, town district is now puzzles and reset button is in the center
>Good old murder mystery
>>
Are there any games RPGs which let you play as a human, vampire, frankenstein, mummy, skeleton and the like?
>>
>>333593315
Yggdrasil was never based around a median though, the fuck you talking about. There's content for everybody, you just can't expect to have your own damn hugbox.

>>333593353
Two words buddy.
Cash Items.
>>
>>333589845
Yeah so lets put all that jew dollars on a million DLC instead.
>>
>>333589845
Kikestarter it, Larian did it twice. Don't know if OS2 will deliver but OS1 wasn't too awful, mechanically speaking.
>>
>>333594545
what about frog people
>>
>>333595264
just make'm french
>>
>>333595000
Well, obviously. Everything that goes into that initial $60 purchase and doesn't absolutely NEED be there is a waste of money in publisher's eyes. DLC is good investment because they're charging you for it.
>>
File: dont make me ribbit you.png (331 KB, 289x502) Image search: [Google]
dont make me ribbit you.png
331 KB, 289x502
>>333595264
what about them?
>>
>>333588251
Someone who wanted to be cute.
>>
Any RPGs which let you play as different Gods and demons?
>>
>>333595829
More games like this.

Age of Fear 1 and 2 lets you play as a lich I think and a succubus. But they look horrible.
>>
>>333589123
How?
I wouldn't even really call Dragon's Dogma an RPG at all. It has about the same amount of roleplaying as Ocarina of Time
>>
>>333594827
The sims
>>
>>333587615
The pen and paper kind. Video game rpgs just can't offer the same level of freedom and should not aspire to. There are other things they excell at.
>>
>>333589850
>Pathfinder, Paizo, 3.5e
You must really hate this board to recommend that garbage.
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.