[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This question popped on /v/ so I'm curious. You're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
This question popped on /v/ so I'm curious.

You're either a DM or D&D player. A new player joins your group, he's never played any tabletop. He wants to be fully immersed in the game, including:
>he speaks with his character's accent
>he comes up dressed in costume
>he insists on never breaking character and doesn't want others to either

What do you think of this player?
>>
>>46539264
I think he's acting stupid and should cut that shit out and tell him so.
Players are not their characters and vice versa.
>>
Nah man, we're pretty casual at my table. It's more of a beer & pretzels type of game that he wouldn't fit into.
>>
>>46539264
Excellent.
Over the top, expect some playful jabs. Not a deal-breaker.
>he insists on never breaking character and doesn't want others to either
Fuck off. Things need to be discussed or cleared up out-of-character sometimes. This is entitled and demanding.
>>
>>46539264
He does not join my group because I direct him to the nearest LARP group instead.
>>
>>46539264
in a perfect world I would want ALL my players to play this way. But they dont, so he cant. Everything besides not wanting others to break character is ok.
>>
>>46539264
I think he's a great guy honestly. I've forcefully removed players from my house via dragging when I DM for breaking character, if you wanna talk about that normie shit then you can go to Facebook because when I'm playing I'm playing, not having OoC chats.
>>
cool, but tell him to calmdown and accept that other players at this table are a bit more casual.
he should respect their ways to have fun.
His mere presence inspire roleplaying, others don't need encouragement or him forcing them. tell him that.

also unless your are LARPing tell him to dress normally and don't act as him character when out of the game because that's creepy.

overall it's a great opportunity to engange everyone in roleplaying, but if left unchecked and uncontrolled it can be extremely disruptive.

remember: the only right way to play RPGs games is the one your party has the most fun with.
>>
File: Yplh18u.png (26 KB, 527x409) Image search: [Google]
Yplh18u.png
26 KB, 527x409
>>46539305
>>
>>46539264

The last one is the only issue.
He clearly seems to request a commitment to a role that goes beyond having fun, and more into the 'autistic' spectrum of the situation, making the whole thing serious business.
This guy clearly seems to have some issues, and I wouldnt feel comfortable to let him into my group as I wouldnt give in to his unreasonable request.
>>
Thanks for starting the thread OP

So the general vibe I'm getting, is so long as I break character when it's totally needed and don't have expectations of others, I should be fine?

Do you guys personally have much patience with new players? How many questions is too many?
>>
>>46539356
>How many questions is too many?

No such thing. We don't have a gigantic playerbase in our hobby so there isn't a "no spoonfeeding" mentality around TTRPGs. As long as you're genuinely interested then I'm willing to answer any and all questions you have and most other players are exactly the same. Without helping out the new guys we'd never get any new blood.
>>
I feel like acting like that is only acceptable when the group has agreed that the game should be very immersion-heavy. It would be disruptive if only one person acted that way, he might even get ostracized in some groups.

I've had fairly similar ones, for instance a game of L5R where we all showed up dressed in our clan colors, some even in kimono, used paper lanterns as lighting, etc. But we still had OOC moments, and the key part is that everyone did it so it was fine and enjoyable.

Speaking with an accent is acceptable at almost all games though.

>>46539356
Generally I encourage questions, especially from new players. The one exception, which isn't usually a newbie thing, is players who try to abuse rules.
>>
>>46539356
if you are going to try to be in character for the entire session you need to sit down and think of material everyone thinks its easy but after ten minutes they are just themselves with an accent (maybe you are a good actor though).

I have a lot of patience for new players but if you have to ask how to do something 3 times in one session your character "forgets" how to do it until you remember, its pretty funny
>>
>>46539390
>is players who try to abuse rules.

Any tips on how to avoid this?
>>
>>46539264
best player in group
>>
>>46539412
You won't do it unless it's on purpose. It's generally people who try to optimize to hell and back (or who just like to argue for no reason) and will try to use a technicality to do things that shouldn't be allowed.
Keep in mind the DM word matters more than the book.

Have to say though, I feel like you're worrying a lot! I know tabletop can be a bit daunting at first but really it's about having fun. Most people are friendly and will try to integrate you into the game, and if you really don't get along you can always find someone else. Almost everyone has horror stories, but they're not the rules.
>>
>>46539439
>Keep in mind the DM word matters more than the book

Is it generally the DM is always right?

>Have to say though, I feel like you're worrying a lot!

Ha just a bit, I appreciate the advice. I want to get the most out of the experience but I don't want to be ostracised either. There's only so many groups!
>>
>>46539421
definitely. but he force other to do stuff and they are not comfortable with, it can become a big problem, please do not ignore that.
>>
>>46539499
Well, you can have friendly debates but if it turns aggressive or the DM makes it clear his position isn't changing you should stop.
>>
>>46539288

this.

Also: if he can't stand being criticised for his behaviour, why is he at this table?
>>
>>46539264
He's going overboard, but accents and costumes are fine if you really want to.

>and doesn't want others to either
Fuck off. My players have jobs, let them relax once in a while.
>>
>>46539264
I adore his enthusiasm but he's not matching the group's energy. He needs to tone it down.
>>
>>46539264
>he insists on never breaking character
Kinda weird but sounds pretty bro, love that enthusiasm

>and doesn't want others to either
WEW LAD, I'm the GM and that ain't his. He's dangerously close to accusing the other players of badwrongfun and that shit don't fly
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.