[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come EVE with all those great stories, happenings, being
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23
File: eo.png (7 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
eo.png
7 KB, 400x300
How come EVE with all those great stories, happenings, being a space game and so on still only has 30.000 players? Why aren't the numbers greater? You'd think people would be all over a sci fi game like this. But apparently it fails to attract new people and make them stay.

There's the potentially greatest conflict in all of the game going on right now, and all that suggests for most of the gaming industry is neat news. ..I would advertise for this game a lot if SP would just nullify. What is a sandbox MMO where every profession and playstyle is behind payments?
>>
>>332417742
because it's boring as fuck and the fun stuff happens once in a blue moon to the boring fucks who actually grinded out the boring as fuck shit over years

it's just not worth it, I could just play any other space multiplayer game and have just as much fun in an instant queue instead of waiting 4 years for an in-game "war" to naturally develop
>>
Because it's brutal pvp game, takes lifetime to achieve anything , also no pve content, no dungeons or quest, it's all just farm and loose all your shit when someone pks you.
>>
it's boring
too many letters
all the galaxies are the same
>>
>>332417742
because you will spend 90% of your first year playing literally grinding ore

and for some, the grinding literally never stops, i tried playing but it was like having a second job, lasted till i trained for a legit mining vessel and lasers.

then got bored because i had nothing to do after mining ore since i i always got wrecked no matter what i flew.
>>
>>332418206
Why do the foreigners always pretend like it's not the payment model?
>>
The gameplay isn't fun.

All the fun/excitement to be found in the game is strictly in the metagame of investing yourself into an all consuming second job/life requiring you to make friends, put in hours, pay taxes, and so on and so on.

Flying the ships is boring. Fighting is boring. Mining is boring. It's all done through menu clicks and spreadsheets. You only get anything out of it if you are deeply involved in advancing some fantasy agenda.

That's why, OP.
>>
It's a trash game with a toxic community. Glad I stopped playing when I did.
>>
File: pop-alts.png (16 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
pop-alts.png
16 KB, 900x600
>>332418137
>>332418684
>flying the ships is all done through menu clicks and spreadsheets
Maybe the game is unpopular because nobody has any clue about the game.

Protip: you can double-click in space like it's an ARPG, but 3D. It's really quick, and discussion about this always starting with having no idea is almost humorous.

https://youtu.be/4UieJcWI-YM?t=20m32s (!)
https://youtu.be/4UieJcWI-YM?t=56s
https://youtu.be/4UieJcWI-YM?t=8m
>>
>>332419942
>You can double-click in space like it's an ARPG

This is supposed to make it sound more fun? Jesus Christ, it's a game about SPACESHIPS, you don't pilot a spaceship with a mouseclick.
>>
>>332417742
Becuase even with a lot of the busywork removed there's still a ton of busybody work. Most people ain't got no time fo dat but it needs to get done so that there can be spaceship shooting.
>>
>>332420204
>deflective, backpedaling damage control
Good luck.
>>
>all these retards who were too dumb to finish the tutorial, leave highsec, or do something besides mine

Eve has a small playerbase because the average /v/tard is too fucking dumb for the game.
>>
>>332420204
Thinking about it, it's probably how you would actually control spaceships in the future.

Hell, it's pretty much how you control spaceships right now.
>>
>>332420993
But mining is super comfy.

I was in a small mining guild with a few friends before we realized there's no point in mining and you need to be in a big corp to get anything out of the game.
>>
it's 15 fucking dollars per month

and there's nothing new
>>
>>332420993
>fly ship
>anchor on FC
>Press F1

The game isn't hard, even living in high class wormhole space before it became a renting empire wasn't hard, you just had to play the game enough to know what your ships actually did and feel confident in them.
>>
>>332420993
This, I never played very much but I always had a good time doing it. Hot dropping carriers and doing dank fleet ops was always really fun.
>>
>>332421262
>skills are time based.
>you lose your skills if you play.
>>
>>332418206
>also no pve content, no dungeons or quest, it's all just farm and loose all your shit when someone pks you.
there's plenty of pve content, but it's boring and low risk low reward
>>
>>332421678
No it's high risk low reward riiiight up until it becomes low risk high reward no matter how you do it.

Even high sec mission running, because once you're doing them in a marauder or something it takes an expensive, or big, fleet to kill you before concord shows up. And if you're cautious you can always just align when local spikes.
>>
File: 1280px-STSCPanel.jpg (293 KB, 1280x849) Image search: [Google]
1280px-STSCPanel.jpg
293 KB, 1280x849
>>332421065
do you see any mice in there, pussy cat?
>>
Setting aside the eye-wateringly boring gameplay, I used to hold out hope that it would develop the in-game events and PVE so that at least you could feel like you were taking part in an evolving universe with "I was there" moments and cool loot to show off. Never happened. After a few early failures CCP clammed up and decided to railroad all future events while completely abandoning lore-based stuff like COSMOS quests. Atmospheric flight and being able to walk around stations--and eventually planets themselves--will probably never happen now because the basement-dweller leet fanbase doesn't give a shit about anything other than watching spreadsheet numbers go up and down and epic blob fights. The declining fanbase is insular and utterly cancerous. The roleplayers mostly left awhile ago. What's left?
>>
>>332420204
Why the fuck not? Do you go to space every day or something?
>>
>>332421970
>comparing 70s tech to extreme far future sci-fi
>>
>>332422513
>using point-n-click mice in "extreme far future sci fi"
>>
>>332417742
It's a niche game where you have to be OK with playing an MMO like an MMO instead of like a single-player game with an extensive multiplayer component. 99% of the time there won't be any of the fun stories, 99% of the time, someone is preparing to make such a story come to life, some failing and some succeeding. Many people do many fun things, but it doesn't guarantee a fun story comes out of it, etc.
>>
>>332421174
>there's no point in mining
????
there's always demand for ore, especially the rarer stuff.
>>
>>332421591
you lose your skills if you're a retard and don't update your clone
>>
>>332417742
Space is the most boring setting possible.
Literally just void and pretty background.
>>
>>332422740
Well, I made like three times the money by just sitting around and playing with the market, and that don't require no expensive shits.
>>
>>332421970
Whats the difference between a mouse click and a button press?
>>
>>332417742
there is a subscription on it

for the money you have to pay you can buy 20 humble bundles
>>
>>332422916
Of course you need an investment in your path to make it good, what the fuck did you expect? Yes you can play the market and make money, but it's riskier "in theory". To make 3x as much in market than by mining, you must have not gotten any kind of cargo ship whatsoever, fuckall lasers, and gotten 1b isk for market seed money.
>>
>>332422817

Clone grades are gone, Sp loss only occurs when losing t3 cruisers or you choose to fill a skill injector with 500k Sp.

Sp is lost in a way based on injector use. More Sp means less gained from an injector. For instance a pilot with <5mil Sp gets 500k Sp from an injector, but a pilot with a little more than 5 million Sp get 400k sp from an injector. There are more levels to it as character Sp increases.
>>
>>332419942
Where the fuck are the spaceships? All I see is lines and circles.
>>
>>332422647
It's an abstraction fagtron. Are you gonna be upset at military sims because you move a mouse instead of tilting your head?
>>
>>332418408
>because you will spend 90% of your first year playing literally grinding ore
bs
>then got bored because i had nothing to do after mining ore since i i always got wrecked no matter what i flew.
That's your own fault
>>332418916
>toxic
nice bait senpai
>>
>>332418370

>all the galaxies

Wut
>>
>>332420204
>moving the goalpost
>>332421591
wrong
>>
>>332417742
It's a game like Dwarf Fortress. Fun? Yeah. If you learn to play it.
But ffs, if I want to spend time learning something I prefer it's something useful in real life.
>>
The cutthroat community makes it incredibly difficult to stick with it. Everyone is out to pk you the second you decide to take any kind of risk in low, nul, or wormhole space. Unless you have real life friends who have a big corp it's just not worth sticking with.
>>
>mobas are sucking up 99% of the global playerbase
>EVE is an autism simulator
>EVE takes years to accomplish anything in
>being successful in EVE depends on your ability to fuck over other people
>getting fucked over by other people means losing months of work
>EVE costs money
>EVE requires an expensive PC
>EVE has boring combat
>EVE has no end game content
>>
>>332422150
>What's left?
..Apparently the market wondering what the fuck the game is about.
>>
>>332423942

Pvp is not always consensual.

Consider gitting gud or learn to fight in cheaper ships before taking out some autism chariot.
>>
File: comic.png (40 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
comic.png
40 KB, 800x800
>>332422651
The SP portion could be really fun if something like frig wormholes weren't stacked behind about 20 hrs. of scanning.

Everything else would be fun without SP.
>>
>>332423942
I agree that the cutthroat nature of the community is unfun and not really immersive either. It would be nice if there were ways to encourage community efforts for peacekeeping, like corps being able to win any territory, but being kicked out if they never defend people from pk in it, for instance, though I'm not sure how to formalize this idea in game terms, especially since you also want free-for-all zones to be allowed.
>>
>>332423653
>completely missing the point
oh, and non-pod ships actually are supposed to be button-and-lever affairs with windshields, see: Valkyrie. You'll defend boring "abstract" gameplay no matter how many times people point out it's just not a good spaceship sim though, so have fun with that.
>>
>>332417742
Eve is only as boring as you are, and your group of friends are.
>>
>>332423996
Eve runs on toasters just fine and you can pay with ingame money even from the first month on.
>>
EVE is boring and very shallow in all of its facets.

You see EVE and everyone tells you how great the game is and how much things are there to do, but in fact every single thing is a grind, and a very unfun one at that.

Also has the endgame problem that the world is just too safe. There's no more wars in years. And if there are, they're just some squabbles here and there, making money stagnant and inflate since no one on the high strats is spending their billions.
>>
>>332424226
It's not a spaceship sim, famalam. You're looking for Elite: Dangerous (lol).
>>
>>332423996
>EVE is an autism simulator
yep
>EVE takes years to accomplish anything in
nope
>being successful in EVE depends on your ability to fuck over other people
nope
>getting fucked over by other people means losing months of work
yes
>EVE costs money
It can
>EVE requires an expensive PC
EVE can run on a toaster and G3 internet
>EVE has boring combat
I disagree
I never played a game where combat was as exciting as it is in EVE
>EVE has no end game content
I see that as a positive thing
>>
>>332422958
Pretty on point.

>>332423553
Do you actually look at your character in a game like WoW? There's so much happening (in both games) that being so "zoomed out" seems fine.
>>
>>332424181

You sound like some risk adverse faggot who doesn't want to lose his shiny ship.

Stay in highsec where you belong.
>>
>>332424303
>There's no more wars in years
what
>>
It's slow garbage.
The only fun there is to have are killing other players for the sake of destroying their shit.
It's built for people that love that shit.
And CCP are a bunch of inept retards that do the bare minimum to keep that audience.

If they try anything new it ends up like dust 514. A pile of shit
>>
>reach 1.000.000.000 space money
>get bored
>>
>>332424226
See >>332419942
"Abstraction" is a meme. The game would surely be fine if the market could actually criticize it.
>>
>>332424340
anyone who is serious about EVE will be running multiple accounts, which requires an expensive PC with a godly processor and megatons of memory.
>>
>>332423853
Like?
>>
>>332424459

>never spend it on a bunch of ships to pvp with
>surprised I got bored from doing pve to 1 bil
>I also think this is a lot of ISK

Biomass irl (ingame) for real
>>
>>332417742
It's literally a job, if you sit down to play it, you better have put at least 2 hours aside, 4 to 8 if you actually want to achieve something.
>>
>>332424483
>i-it would be doing well if the market could actually criticize it (??)
it would be doing well if it wasn't a steaming pile of shit
>>
>>332424605
>I have no clue what I'm saying
>maybe if I backpedal I'll win the argument!
>>
>>332424605
You won't find a lot of people with more than two accounts
and two accounts still run on a toaster
I have been playing since 2011 and never used a 2nd account
>>
>>332424789
the irony
>>
>>332424682
I was low sec scum, did pvp loads of times but losing your ship is stress mang
>>
>>332421970

Airbus don't have a cloche either
That's why sometimes they crash into WTC and accidentally melt the steel beams
>>
I love EvE Online but the combat is boring as hell. Been playing off and on for 6-7 years and I get bored every time. I'd really like to enjoy this game more because the thought of it gets me amped up but its not stimulating enough
>>
>>332425110

Now I know your full of shit, you can't melt steel beams.
>>
>>332424919

If you stress losing ships then fly shit that's cheaper and not a bother to lose. You can fly more dangerously and get into fight you would normally avoid.

That is how you have fun. Clawing through a fight maybe coming out on top. Being some nigger who sits on gates with logi and instalock artillery is gonna get old fast unless you have autism.
>>
>be EVE noob
>join a high sec mining corp
>spend months mining
>get my hulk
>corp leader has an orca
>we save up billions of isk
>log in one day; excited to do some more mining
>corp is completely gone
>leader took everything we earned(there were about 10 of us)
>leader hired mercs to war dec us
>get killed by said mercs several times
>they wouldn't fuck off
>lost everything
>forced to leave the system
>royally pissed off
>said fuck it and quit

nice game EVEtards
>>
>>332425221

but I was there when the entire complex turned into a Krakatoa and pancaked to itself
>>
Gameplay isn't fun if you're a normie cause you work up your shit by a bit and then you get scammed / blown up.

Gameplay is also chronologically limitied effectively locking you out of most roles until you've paid for XX weeks of gametime.

Game is also subscription based.
>>
>>332425338

>join a high sec mining corp

you did this to yourself
>>
>>332425401
how the fuck was i supposed to know? the corp leader spent months earning our trust only to betray us. he is a piece of fucking shit
>>
>>332417742
I tried it when it was just released, I remember the controls being abysmal, having no actual free controls and no guide to speak of. Never touched again.
>>
>>332425607
>trusting people
>in eve
>flying shit you can't afford
>letting yourself be killed many times when it's cleared people are waiting to kill you
>not putting a bounty on the leader
>not organizing with the rest of your former corp
>not getting in touch with one of the many carebear corps
100% your fault m8.
>>
>>332424089
>>332424427
This attitude is why your game is dying, friendos.
>>
>>332424605
I ran 3 accounts on a Q9650.

You don't need a godly processor for eve, not even if you're multiboxing 10 dreads bcuase you'll be in tidi land anyway.
>>
>>332425804
People have been saying that EVE is dying for 10+ years
>>
>>332425787
it just isn't the game for me m8. i'm way too nice to have fun in a cutthroat setting like EVE. i could never do what that corp leader did to us
>>
>>332417742
I can consider playing this but

Is it newbie friendly? And... Is it pay2win by any means? Or pay2play?
>>
>>332417742
JOIN TENGOO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWYuNaJ_8zs
>>
>>332426460
>>>/d/og
>>332426184
>Is it newbie friendly? And... Is it pay2win by any means? Or pay2play?
The community yes
The game no

Some say yes some say no
It's hard to talk about it when you have no game knowledge

You can pay for game time with in game money, but most people just pay 15€ per month
>>
>>332426184
It is the least new player friendly mmo out there. It's only pay to win if you buy plex with real money and sell it, buy all the skill books you'll need, set then going, then log off for a year then come back when you can actually do shit. But you won't n ow what you're doing and you'd need an active subscription the entire time.
>>
>>332426184
No, no except you can buy ingame dosh with plex's, yes but you can pay with ingame money.
>>
>>332426612
>15 euros per month
Holy shit dropped
>>
>>332425787
How would be know? How would any noob know with attitudes like yours you pubbie mobgoloid? If this thread is t evidence of how toxic eves "community" is then I don't know what is.
>>
>>332427090
I really don't get how people haven't heard about EVE before
It's been around longer than WOW and gets news coverage every few years
Does anyone on /v/ actually play vidya?
>>
>>332417742
>only has 30.000 players?

30k online right now you mean?
total number of active subscription is a few hundred thousand
>>
>>332427147
>toxic
>>>/leagueoflegends/
>>
>>332427210
I have heard of EVE several times before, I was just never interested in space MMOs before. Mainly because of my experience with Dark Orbit. That game and the other games by the same company had no soul
>>
>>332426184
Do not play. avoid.
>>
someone in a thread last night summed it up: its fun to read stories about, but playing it isnt

and what people dont say, is that those '6 hour long battles' in reality could be done in like 30 minutes, but since you are sitting there spamming a button for 10 minutes waiting for the server to process it hoping that the person you are fighting doesnt hit the front of the queue first, the game loses much of its charm
>>
>>332427316
Why would you ever compare a real video game with a browser game
>>
Literally too smart for most players. Also requires a huge time investment.
>>
>>332427352
too late anon
>>
>>332427147
>wwwaaaaaaah! why doesn't the game give me a pewpew killeverything ship for free!
>wwwwwaaaaah! why can I lose! why don't I get everything for free!
>>
>>332427224
And they're all alts of the same tired edgy spergs.
>>
It has a high skill ceiling, and there's not enough support for a new solo player.
>>
>>332427467
Can you back up that claim?
>>
>>332427431
>Literally too smart for most players
Yes, I can see that from your average EVE fan: >>332427459
>>
>>332427459
He says to the person who quit after 7 years, a lot of fleets FCd, and a successful corps undervhis belt.

Drink bleach.
>>
>>332427426
Because I am not a idiot that thinks the medium where the game is decides if it is a "real" game or not?
>>
>>332419942

>le SNS meme

Yes small frigate wolfpacks that manage to encounter other small frigate wolfpacks can indeed play like this. Until a rapier appears and murders you instantly.

However most of the time you do not find another similarly sized force. Most of the time you either find jack shit or a force that your frigates won't be able to harm beyond being able to pick off some scouts or tackle that are dumb enough to peel away from the group.

Most combat is in cruiser or larger and then it is less ARPG and more spreadsheet as the only options allowed are orbiting an anchor and pressing F1 on targets called.

This also ignores the fact that you need months of training just to fly a frigate properly due to support skills like 25% more fittings. Hours of grinding for isk since there is so much inflation in the game even a basic T1 frig with shit fittings is a few mil, full T2/meta 4 is 20+ mil. And the fact that reshipping is slow and tedious unless you are lucky enough to die just outside of Jita.
>>
>>332427537
No cause CCP hides that data. Go take that claim shit back to GD Jenna Fag.
>>
It's pricey and time consuming.
>>
>>332425607
>trust random anonymous internet person
>get fucked over

shocking! i didn't see that coming at all!

be glad you live in 2016. ten years ago morons like you were sending their savings to nigerian princes left and right.
>>
>>332427147
>pubbie
Shouldn't you be posting on SA?
>>
>>332427652
Hey look an honest and accurate post.
>>
>>332427552
By the way I'm the queen of england.
>>
>>332427661
>>332419942
What now Anon
>>
>>332427679
Why when I got dank forum leaqs for free?
>>
>>332427667
that story happened about 8 years ago
>>
>30,000 players? Why aren't the numbers greater?

Because it takes a month of training skills (which is just letting a bar fill up) to even remotely be in a position where you can defend yourself in PvP situations. So basically you buy a month of Eve and you can't do shit. THEN training more skills to where you can actually win takes 2-3 weeks just to train a single damn skill.
>>
>>332427905
Yet in any other MMO it takes 4 months to reach Eve's 1 month progression point.
>>
http://www.hostile.dk/files/eve/eve-tracking101.swf

Who the fuck is going to learn all this to find out why they do shit damage?
>>
File: minedforfree.jpg (49 KB, 600x469) Image search: [Google]
minedforfree.jpg
49 KB, 600x469
>>332418408
>>
>>332427905
Well, That's not fully true, you can tackle for groups really cheap, with no skills.

the problem is, you're so expendable at that point, you're literally worthless. You have to make a new group of friends, adapt to their paradigm and then, after you've made your gains in the skills area, you can actually do something, but not really because you get blotted like a motherfucker solo.

No one solos, It's not cost effective.
>>
>>332428160
Eeeeh some ppl solo. They're just vets and very good. Kellon Darknight is a good example.
>>
>>332427763
I'm a bitter vet since the bloodlines patch, I just get tired of shills thinking SNS is the greatest thing ever. We've had Inty brawls with manual piloting for fucking years, fun as they are if the only good part of EVE is what most people did while waiting for fleet form ups to happen then the game has major problems.
>>
>>332428762
I had not heard of SNS. What's it stand for?
>>
Its not a game for the average casual even tho the skill system would suggest otherwise the game is pretty unforgiving once you leave highsec, and there is never anything fun in highsec so you are gonna leave and you will die, and die and die and by then 99% of todays video game players quit.

I mean look at wow and how much it had to bend itself to keep its non loyal mass stuck for so long.

Well this game doesn't do that, and if it does decide to make something easier its a slow change and there will always be a trade off somewhere to make up for it.

/v/ is extemely casual and so is OP, this is why you just don't get it and probably never will.

The fun in EVE is the sandbox aspect, everything is made by players, run by players and killed by players, and when its gone its gone for good.
Anyone can betray you, everything has a value, outside of cheap suicide ganking with cheap ships, every ship represents time and investment and this is why people don't fuck around, "throw battles" for lulz or any other type of cancerous shit people do on other games.

The combat can also be as simple as a flash h-game or extremely complicated with many millions of different variables, modules, ships configurations, playstyles, boosts, drugs, skills and player skill.

Fitting a ship is the most post, pre and even in-battle fun I've ever had in any game, so many different thinga you can fit on a ship that can completley change so much about a ship and so many different ships, its like having over 100 different classes on your MMO and you can change the spec on all of them, you can create all sorts of clever fits for different situations, some will crash and burn, some will work amazingly well.

The map is also really cool, people live all over the place, and they are all different people and act different ways because of where they live, they all use different doctrines with different fittings and use different strategies, all of it affected by their past battles in their home.
>>
>>332427147
>boohoo a game based around pvp is filled with players that don't let me fly around and do what I want

What a sour asshole you are. Don't play a game where safety mode is off if you can't handle interacting with real people.
>>
>>332418408
>not ice mining
You fucked up.
Beside that, just fly a battleship and it will carry you almost anywhere. Or a T3-Cruiser.
>>
>>332427090
Do you play non MMOs for more than a month straight? Do you pay for games that you aren't playing? Not sure what the issue is unless you have Alzheimers
>>
>>332418408
>grinding ore
M8
Maybe like the first couple days.
I was in the Test Alliance Please Ignore with /v/ and within a week I had a decent ship fitted for scavenging. I'd just tail some guy who'd kill pirates for a mission and then mop up their corpses. It was actually pretty fun.
Highlight of my time playing was when my naïve friend and I were out mining by ourselves in Nullsec. I left my computer to grab something to eat. When I came back he told me how met someone. He said the man warped in, asked what alliance we were in, said 'brb' then warped out.
Needless to say we didn't return home with our ships or our cargo.
>>
File: definitely not mad.gif (545 KB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
definitely not mad.gif
545 KB, 500x275
>>332427552
>>
>>332428921
Super nerdy slicer, the videos that were linked.
>>
>>332427459
This is why i will never subscribe to eve
>>
>>332422513
>>332421970

70ies tech is comfier than far future scifi. This is why Minmatar are the best race.
>>
>>332429519
Because it's pvp? Good for you. Go into an rpg thread and tell them that you won't play rpgs. It's just as insubstantial
>>
The disparity between new and old players. Its boring.
>>
>>332429224
Literally this is why eve will die.
>>
>>332429874
It's 13 years old and still active
not many MMOs can claim that
>>
>>332424265
The problem with EVE is retention. Nobody gives a shit about playing, even if they like the game, if all their buddies don't.
>>
>>332429874
Because someone who never played EvE called you out on 4chan?
>>
>>332429352
I'd rather pay $60 and play a game forever than pay $180 in a year.
>>
>>332430097
If you have such a big problem with spending money you could just farm in game dosh and use that to buy game time
>>
>>332429775
>Because it's pvp?
Reading comprehension.
>>
>>332430186
Sounds pretty boring. Also how are they making money if just anyone can do this?
>>
>>332430186
That'd be the most stupid thing I could do honestly.

With a single hour of work IRL I can already pay for the game, why would I work dozens of hours in-game to pay it?
>>
>>332424439
Basically.
>>
>>332430323
The game time you can buy in game gets bought by other people with real life dosh
They get in game money, you get game time
It's like wow token just without an automatic price
>>332430359
You can also play EVE for less than an hour to make enough dosh for in game time
but I agree I rather spend money on ships than game time
>>
>>332430323
>Also how are they making money if just anyone can do this?
They aren't, that's why they're shilling everywhere they can. Technically you need to have a few months of skills and connections to make enough money securely to pay it off with in-game money, ie. be a newbie. Most of their playerbase is old and crusty and not paying a cent so they need to trick new blood into opening their wallets.
>>
>>332430478
You are aware that there is a big war going on right now, right?
And after the sov changes they had a lot of corps taking stuff
and before that there was the halloween war which lasted for years
>>
>>332430601
*not be a newbie
>>
>>332430601
That's wrong
>>
>>332424453
>bare minimum to keep that
More of which would be what?
>>
>>332430530
>less than an hour
As a newbie? Or as a veteran with the best ship?
>>
Is there a blog or something that tells all the crazy stories and tells how wars began and ended?
>>
>>332425219
> >>332424483
>>
>>332430793
Both is possible
>>
>>332430601
Thanks. I just keep reading the actually interesting stuff.
>>
File: succ.png (516 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
succ.png
516 KB, 600x600
>>332423759
Nobody posting in this thread has even played EVE before, they just shitpost because they don't actually play vidya

I hope nobody thinks that the memers on this board aren't on at least 7 levels of irony
>>
>>332430946
Your explanation is fishy, anon. Why would someone spend $15 for goods that a newbie can get in less than one hour?
>>
>>332425254
I refuse to play the brawl playstyle, and 95% of frigates are that, so..

Maybe if they'd pull back the meta from T3D tripe, the gameplay would be fun.
>>
>>332431091
Because people rather buy ships than game time
iirc the average age of ever players is like 32 so everyone has a job and they don't care about 15€
>>
>>332431143
>95% of frigates are that,
That's just wrong
>>
File: smile.png (20 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
smile.png
20 KB, 800x600
>>332425392
I have no problem with losing everything, but I can't save up for a Marauder because I can't fly it. I also can't do most other cash-out niches for the same, so... am I supposed to be interested? Are groups supposed to come together and enjoy frigates: the characters?
>>
>>332430097
>$180 a year
That's my point though. Are you actually playing every month?

You'd need to play a $60 game for four months to get the same value as paying for 4 months of sub time. I can't speak on your behalf but I doubt many people play non sub games long enough to warrant the price they pay in comparison to how they lose their shit when they see an MMO sub

If you're not subbing when you're not playing, you're likely getting better value than you would buying one sum for a game you don't play nearly as much as the price point warranted.
>>
>>332431285
I'll play this but can you explain how a newbie can make the sum needed for membership quickly? I still don't believe it's possible in less than one hour but it'd be doable in less than 10 hours for me

>>332431506
You're assume I buy $60 games though anon. I'm Brazilian, and $15 is the equivalent as 10% of the Brazilian minimum wage. Of course I earn more than the minimum wage, but my point is that $15 means much more for me than it means for you, I'd not spend it monthly for a MMO
>>
>>332430218
You're using people acknowledging that the game is pvp as proof that the game is toxic. Your only argument is that you don't have a hug box in a game that isn't built that way.
>>
>>332425965
Nah it's only been over the past few years that numbers have been plummeting, and rightly so.
>>
>>332431091
He is bullshitting

The only way you could ever possibly hope to get 1 billion isk as a newbie in an hour is to be so incredibly lucky that you find some rare ship on the market that was posted wrong and then managed to buy it before some bot auto-buys it and then you actually manage to sell it for 1b isk

As a veteran it might be POSSIBLE to make that much in an hour, but you would need to be a very good "veteran" with lots of resources
>>
>>332431613
Scamming
I saw people do it
>>
>>332431780
>>332431824
Well, that's disappointing
>>
File: germans.jpg (98 KB, 841x730) Image search: [Google]
germans.jpg
98 KB, 841x730
Are people that enjoy EVE the same people enjoy shit like farming/trucking simulator?
>>
>>332426184
It is P2W. Every stat and ship in the game comes from SP, which can (for all intents and purposes) be purchased with money. A group of buddies starting with enough real money can do anything; and it takes just as much money to get SP from just subbing.
>>
>>332431780
>but you would need to be a very good "veteran"
A brainless monkey could do escalations
>>
>>332431390
>>332430731
>>332423797
This guy is absolutely wrong.
>>
>>332431613
>I'd rather pay $60

Regardless. The actual price point is not the point I'm making. You're paying money for an entire month of game play. I doubt people play many games for more than a month of actual play time. If you're paying for an entire year of sub time and not playing the game, that's the fault of the player. Just unsub
>>
>>332431635
So it's going to take like what
20 years before it actually dies?
I am fine with that
>>
>>332431506
>That's my point though. Are you actually playing every month?
not that guy, but i own a $10 nintendo cart that i've put easily more than 2000 hours into. i do multiple hour sittings 3-4 times a week.
>>
>>332432000
Prove it
>>
>>332431506
Im still playing dark souls and I got that in 2013 for 30€ or so
I also played morrowind for 1000+hours after picking it up for 10€
I'm still playing dwarf fortress a d that's free
>>
>>332432170
his tips are proof, newfag
>>
>>332426676
Nothing in this post is accurate.

>The game is simple.
>It's p2w enough that vets consistently won't high-SP vs. low-SP just to have a basis for review
>SP can be purchased with ISK in-game now, thus with real money (though official forum character purchases have been a thing)
>>
>>332432223
>newfag
I have been here since 2007
>>
Because it's a fucking full time job.
Everyone who says you can play this casually and still have fun is lying.
>>
>>332432170
wrong
>>
>>332432289
Exactly my point, 2007 is still newfag. You need to be at least 2006. AT LEAST.
>>
>>332427224
Yes.

Yet, it's 20k if the 1.5 accounts per sustains through every login.
>>
>>332431941

No, I like ETS2 and find EVE too slow and boring.
>>
>>332432142
>>332432189
>I doubt people play many games for more than a month of actual play time.
>many games

I have many games that I have plugged thousands of hours into. I was doubting that people have not purchased games that they have played much less than the time offered by an MMO sub. I was not implying that EVERY game people play less than what is offered by subs.
>>
>>332427459
Not to completely undermine the whole argument, because there's a much better statement for that; but the game gives plenty of freebies. Insurance can probably completely replace whole outfits of the proper class.
>>
>>332432072
CCP isn't. It'll be over much sooner if they can't make more money.
>>
>>332432657
CCP made a profit of 20m USD last year
>>
if EVE was real life, almost all of the thing you can do in the game would be considered a boring job and yet people trick themselves into thinking it's fun. It's like people who think Stardew Valley is a fun game.
>>
>>332427494
Remedying this is such a cool topic. What are fresh players supposed to do? Answering that without "join all the corps", the game is fixed.
>>
>>332432749
Sure they did. https://www.themittani.com/news/ccp-goes-dark-company-financials
>>
>>332432942
http://vb.is/frettir/hagnadur-ccp-aldrei-meiri/125413/
Themittani is a shit site
>>
It doesn't matter how hard assblasted EVE addicts try to defend their crappy game, no matter how much they insult other people for their differing opinions, EVE will stay a shit game with incompetent developers and their mentally ill playerbase.
>>
>>332433195
So EVE is bleeding money but WoD saved them?
> In 2014 the company generated a loss of 8.7 billion, but this year was a great investment in the game World of Darkness dismissed and had a significant impact on the income statement.
>>
>>332433564
No
They lost money because of WoD so they sold it
>>
>>332433564
*cancelling
>>
>>332427763
It's a strawman.

>>332427652
>most of the time you do not find another similarly sized force
Welcome to EVE. What this is supposed to imply is no point against manual piloting. Frigates are getting BTFO by T3Ds and the almost complete migration of the meta to more expensive ship classes? OK. What that all is supposed to imply is true for everything. N+1 is a problem only fixed by removing arbitrary gating. If players were having fun in whatever ship or niche they felt like flying or businessing, there would be basically no place for their complaints and low retention.

The playstyle resonates well through any fleet size though, as Intys are so helpful.

>Most combat is cruiser or larger
Firstly.. predictably no. Yet, cruisers can go-fast manual pilot as well. At this point, the post is losing validity.

>Months of training
That has nothing to do with the combat, except admitting it's a problem for the game's density, (which would result in available action, etc.).

>
>>
I thought about getting into it right around 2010, and whenever I tried to make a thread on /v/, I'd get 50 replies with images of people asleep at their computer.
>>
>>332428027
What fucking MMO?

WoW has players raiding at max level within a few hours, as the fresh xpac comes with a max level character. Share the drugs.
>>
File: 1458608486179.jpg (192 KB, 1200x1215) Image search: [Google]
1458608486179.jpg
192 KB, 1200x1215
EVE has single player?
>>
File: 0.png (360 KB, 485x278) Image search: [Google]
0.png
360 KB, 485x278
>>332428027
>>332434276
>>
>>332433673
Ok, which meant that they made money off the sale, still it says
>CCP sales declined by 2.9 million between years
Which isn't a good sign. I'd also ask where they're getting the info from if CCP isn't releasing financials anymore.
>>
>>332434378
>currently the current year
>playing WoW

ayloma WoW is seriously the shittiest game in the world
>>
>>332417742
The "skills" a.k.a leveling system is retarded, if they completely removed that it would pretty much fix the game.
>>
The #1 reason I'll never pick up EVE is because I don't have any friends that play it. From what I hear, the game is more of a space politics simulator than a game about flying spaceships. You have to know people and be part of a large Corp to get anywhere, which sucks for a new player because it involves a lot of bullshit to move up in the hierarchy to even have a shot of getting in.
>>
>>332432309
>live in a wormhole
>have PI running to pay sub
>play maybe five hours a week
Maybe retards think it's a full time job
>>
>>332434430
A decline of sales is not bad when you also spend less money on development and do stuff more efficiently
>>
>>332434706
Sorry not as bad
>>
>>332434693

None of that sounds like fun. Any MMO you spend less than an hour a day playing doesn't seem like a good time.
>>
>>332420993
Not dumb enough to pay for the privilege of a second job, apparently.
>>
>>332434564
There are 1000s of corps you can instantly join as a newbro
What hierarchy are you speaking off?
>>
>>332419942

Manual movement is pointless unless you're a tackler or a tiny ship of some sort and want to close distance without getting evaporated.

Once you get a real ship though it's just spreadsheets and menus. Even worse, those big as battles people talk about, it's almost always being led by one guy, and all everyone else is doing is right clicking targets he posts in the chat box.

WoW has better combat, at least in that you have to hit buttons in the right time/order. In EVE you just toggle shit on.
What decides if you win or lose in EVE is if you came more prepared. Personal skill will not matter at all in large battles, once everyone is at least good enough to follow simple directions.

I played the fuck out of EVE, and I see the appeal of working with a big corp and taking down other corps. It's pretty exciting, since the ships have value and the deaths matter as a result, but the actual combat itself is not fun, which means it's harder to hook players into the absurd grind (or wait, rather) that the game requires before you can participate in the meat of the game.
>>
>>332434846
Guess what
You can decide how much time you want to spend
>>
>>332434951
All of stuff only applies to sov space
>>
>>332434918
>There are 1000s of corps you can instantly join
and get screwed over by, it's always better to play with friends, but good luck getting any to play this. It might be worth a shot if it was F2P, but at $15 a month no thanks.
>in b4 "lel git gud noob i farm holes and pay with PLEX"
>>
>>332420993
>finish tutorial
>now grind belt rats or mine for a month or more while you wait for skills

>if you leave do high sec you are instantly killed by the player that happens to have been playing longer so has higher skills and flat out better numbers than you in every way
>even in the same ship they can still do twice your damage per second or more while having significantly better defenses just from passive skills.

Null Sec is fun once you've got the skills leveled to actually stand a chance. Problem is that takes ages, and there is nothing to do but wait and farm gold while it is happening. You expect players to play a game for more than a month, while doing all the absurdly boring shit, before they can have some semblance of fun?
That's just PVP as well. If you're into PVE there is noting to do besides mind and grind rats.

Neither of those turned me off the game, but I can easily see how it would turn the average player off.
>>
>>332435240
>and get screwed over by,
If you are scared of getting scammed you should join one of the big newbie corps
no one will scam you there
>>
>>332432170
Prove what? Most combat frigates are scram range.

>They aren't making money
That's definitely bullshit. Everything's monetized.

>moving the goalpost
That's accurate.

>wrong
Is also.
>>
>>332435318
Belt ratting hasn't been a thing for over half a decade
You should leave if you don't know shit
>>
>>332435097

Ships don't control differently in null sec.

Also that entire post is from a null sec experience. I worked with a corp for like 2 years expanding and going to war. I enjoyed it, but I am weird like that, and can easily see how others would not.

I enjoyed it for the metagame aspect. If anyone actually claims to enjoy the combat, they are either wearing heavy fanboy blinders, or just trying to make people play the game so they have someone to shoot.

>>332435471

Played like a year ago. Still seemed like the only way to make money from combat unless you are lucky enough to find a player with a bounty that you have the power to take down (rare unless you have been playing for years, and by you don't need the dosh.)
>>
>>332434378
Honestly, after leveling a monk from 1 to 83 now, with still two more expansions to plow through, I am totally okay with this. I am burned the fuck out.
>>
>>332435420
Crucifier
Griffin
Maulus
Vigil
Burst
Bantam
Navitas
Inquisitor
Condor
Kestrel
Tristan
Cruor
Garmur
Succubus
Firetail
Harpy
Ishkur
Wolf
Jaguar
Purifier
Manticore
Nemesis
Hound
Deacon
Kirin
Thalia
Scalpel

All of these are mostly long range ships
Now explain how you got that 95%

>>332435613
You really can't compare 0.0 pvp with other forms of pvp
also
>what are missions
>what are anoms
>>
File: 1457263211796.png (98 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
1457263211796.png
98 KB, 600x500
Are you fucking retarded? Did you look at the online numbers in the launcher and assumed all the people online are all subscribers? EVE has hundrets of thousands players and multiple hundret thousand players play weekly. 30k is just the average numbers of players that is online at any given time, wich still would make EVE a top 20 game on steam, more than enough to be a massive commercial success and safe from any meme-meister who wants to yell "dead game".
>>
>>332417742
The gameplay is about watching grey bars turn into red bars.
>>
>>332434693
How much PI do you run?

I had about 3 planets and got fuck all, maybe about 15-20 mil every 3 days, my skills aren't maxed out yet though

its fun as fuck to setup though
>>
>>332428027

At least during those 4 months you'd be playing the game to push progress forward.
EVE you're just paying a sub and waiting.

Granted you SHOULD be trying to earn some ISK so you can actually use ships that need your new skills, but even if you do it's entirely separate from actual skill progress which is only waiting.

>>332435942

Missions are instanced belt rats. I was including them when I said rats. It's just going to zones to kill enemies. Its fun for a bit, but wears thin fast and does not scale very far into the progression.
>>
>>332435623
in vanilla WoW, 1-60 took probably quadrouple the time that it takes to go 1-100 today.

quit being a little bitch. follow a route or some shit.
>>
>>332434460
It's a basis for the discussion because it's the most subbed MMO. It's also probably the most fun with some creativity.

>>332436123
Vanilla WoW was fun though.
>>
>>332435942
There are even more actually
Sentinel
Kitsune
Keres
Hyena
Crusader
Raptor
Crow
Ares
Stiletto
Claw
Merlin
Crucifer navy issue
Griffing navy issue
Vigil navy issue
Maulus navy issue

I am probably forgetting even more
>>
>>332434461
Is this a vet, or is the only demographic that mentions this consisting of sub-20M SP danks?
>>
All these losers complaining Eve is boring. How about you play to get a cool looking small ship, get a cloak and go on a galactic tour. That's what I did and it was a fun couple of days. Same with exploring things like wormholes, and all kinds of other instances. Just try and do everything once till you get bored and move on to the next. No game lasts forever though but that's not a bad thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x5O3jatFro
>>
>>332436115
Missions and belt ratting a really different things
You seem to lack a lot of game knowledge
>>
>>332435002
His point is valid. What the fuck else would the character do? PvE is for capitals.
>>
>>332436302
>Just try and do everything once till you get bored and move on to the next.

The problem is you need to play for months (or be subscribed for months) to get the skills required to do anything significant. The best part of the game is mass pvp, or 1vs1 pvp in null sec. Both of these things will see your automatically lose (or just not be taken) without months and months of waiting for bars to fill up.
You'll have done everything you can do without the skills, long before you have the skills to do the actual fun things.
>>
>>332436463
It's called PvP Anon
You probably never heard of it because you are the casual scum that is killing /v/
>>
>>332436279
I've tried many times to play eve with friends, the most I did was playing for 4 months were we went from 0.0 to wormholes, but despite learning fucking fast I need to wait for my char to catch up in real time and to basically be worth anything I would have to wait years, fuck that.
>>
>>332436652
>farm money
>buy character
>now you can fly all ships
>>
>>332436394

It's the same idea. Get mission, go to play, kill guys, go to next place. With some text. I'll grant that they are pretty good at first, but you need to grind them hard to get rep progress, so you do the same mission hundreds of times. Meanwhile you've hardly advanced in power, despite vigorously doing missions, because it's just timers that matter.

If you can't see how that is unappealing to the majority of players, then I don't know what to tell you.
>>
>>332436769
Sounds like every other MMO desu
>>
>>332434951
>Manual movement is pointless unless you're a tackler or a tiny ship of some sort
>Once you get a real ship though it's just spreadsheets and menus
>[no argument provided]
Protip: T3Ds completely BTFO whatever point was trying to be made. Good luck catching a manual piloting, rail Hecate.
>>
>>332436726
But why? I fucking hated that as well

>Need a char for industry
>need a chat for pvp
>need a link char
>need this, need that

Why can't I just fly a titan day 1 if I got the money to buy it? Since I'm a retarded noob I'm going to lose it as soon as I'm out of the PoS but that's my problem, why can't I just do whatever in a sandbox if I have the assets to do so? Why do I have to wait for faux "skills" of my character?
>>
>>332436063
>Did you look at the OP and assumed it's talking about subscriptions
Obviously
>>
>>332436879

Other MMOs if you work hard you progress faster. That's the whole treadmill. That's what hooks people.
>>
>>332437109
It's the same way for EVE
>>
>>332437057
No one ever complains about not instantly being max level in other mmos
>>
>>332437263
Are you retarded?

If I want to fly just properly a BS I need like 6 months

If I want a level 100 character I can do it in about 10-12 hours of /played in WoW and In a day I would be geared for endgame PvP/PvE
>>
>>332437057
>why can't I just fly a titan
because organizations that actually play the game could make 6 million titan accounts? Do you not think of anything beyond your self?
>>
>>332437437

It used to take 10-12 DAYS to hit level 60 for a decent player, let alone getting geared for raids.
>>
>>332437437
Nice insult Anon
Really showing off your argumentation skills
>If I want to fly just properly a BS I need like 6 months
A few days or a few weeks actually
>>
>>332437164

Skills are a far bigger bottleneck than ISK, especially in a corp.. You can't do shit to hurry skills besides change attributes, which you do once before training for weeks.
My corp had like 20 people that all had plenty of ISK for ships, but we couldn't let them actually enter combat since their skills were garbage, and they were all stuck waiting for timers. The fact a war victory is decided by ship costs makes it even worse, since letting them fly at all is a huge disadvantage to the war, which results in people being stuck in dock.

I get how much of /v/ (including myself) has a fairly maxed character, so they don't remember how shit it is being stuck unable to really do anything but grind isk.

>>332437263

Because other games progression is tied to your playing, not strict unchanging timers.
>>
>>332437437
Just buy skill injectors you poor fag
>>
>>332437696
>You can't do shit to hurry skills besides change attributes,
But that's just wrong
>>
>people still comparing it to progress in other MMOs

Timers != Player made progress
>>
>>332437607
It was an example, holy fuck do you even play the game? There's basically no way someone that started the game would have the money to buy a titan, in no way possible, but it was to make retards like you understand that it's a sandbox where you can't actually do anything for a long ass time and god forbid if you were a miner that wants to start pvp, because you will have to start from square 0 with your skills.

Hence, why it's a requirement to have between 2 to 3 characters at minimum which makes the game even more boring.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.