[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good Roguelikes worth trying now that the Steam
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
File: Newart.png (601 KB, 1004x626) Image search: [Google]
Newart.png
601 KB, 1004x626
What are some good Roguelikes worth trying now that the Steam Sale is imminent?

Other than obvious shit like Binding of Isaac and Rogue Legacy

(yes I know they're not TRUE Roguelikes, I'm mainly looking for stuff that's randomly generated and has permadeath)
>>
File: 2014-11-22_00002.jpg (65 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
2014-11-22_00002.jpg
65 KB, 1440x900
bunp
>>
>>321036895
This is something I've been wondering as well. Roguelikes have been a favorite genre of mine since I played Binding of Isaac for the first time.
I just got back into Darkest Dungeon recently.
I'm looking at Nuclear Throne, Dungeon of the Endless, Invisible Inc., Necrodancer, and Hand of Fate (I think this is a roguelike?).
Roguelikes are just great to pick up and play without too much time dedication. If I can start up a game on my laptop and make progress within less than and hour, that's awesome.
>>
God damn it please just call it anything but roguelike. Roguelikes have:
>randomly generated content
>permadeath
>turn based combat
>grid based movement.

There's more to it but these are the bare minimum. Use this as a checklist for the next time you decide to use the word.
>>
>>321037701
Definitions evolve with time, friend. The original definition of roguelike is fucking dead. Can't do much about it now.
>>
>>321037701
The thing is, there just isn't a word for this genre that everyone can agree on. By now, most casuals just call them Roguelikes and even people who know they aren't Roguelikes just call them that because it's easier.

I'd call them "Roguelike-lites" but even that tends to confuse people.

Wish some big name developer would come up with a new term for them that basically just means "Game with randomly generated elements as a core part of the gameplay and permadeath" so it can be distinguished from the games that are actually, you know, 'like Rogue'.
>>
>>321038002
Just put the word in quotes, then everyone will know you're not talking about shit like Nethack or DCSS.

>What are some good "roguelikes" worth trying now that the Steam Sale is imminent?
>>
>>321036895
>What are some good Roguelikes worth trying now that the Steam Sale is imminent?

Crypt of the necro dancer
Dont starve

not sure what else
>>
>>321037471
>Roguelikes have been a favorite genre of mine since I played Binding of Isaac for the first time.
Well that's a shame, because you've never played a rougelike.

Jesus christ, go play something simple, like fucking DoomRL, then come back and beg to suck my dick for introducing you to something even vaguely close to an actual fucking rougelike.
>>
>>321037959
>>321038002

It's just that I love real roguelikes and just a few years ago nobody had heard of them. Then people started having discussions about them and every fucking time the discussion was about something else entirely.

I guess I'm just a relic now but it's so frustrating having casuals hijack my favourite genre.
>>
>>321037701
how about we call them autism triggers
>>
>>321037701
How about we call these games "roguelikes," and we call the games you like to play "autismlikes"

Now everyone can be happy
>>
Diablo 2 LoD.

It's randomly generated, and has permadeath.
>>
>>321038302
>>321038319

I'm sure this is how you would react if it was one of your favourite genres whatever that may be.

For example:
>Suddenly all new "RPGs" are shooters in which you can level up in with no other RPG elements
>>
>>321038210
It's really sad just how butchered the genre is. Pretending something like Nethack is in a similar category to something like fucking Binding of Isaac makes me want to throw up.

The new generation of rougelites have removed anything resembling skill from the genre in favor of basic pick up and play gameplay with all the depth of a fucking puddle.

They're lazy imitations designed to mask a total lack of content behind "hard" difficulty and "permadeath". What used to be a learning experience is now "play the game to unlock more stuff", and tactical turn based gameplay where every action had to be carefully thought out in an encounter has been replaced with real time simplicity.
>>
>>321038469
>I'm sure this is how you would react if it was one of your favourite genres whatever that may be.

Except no, it isn't

>if this game doesn't exactly fit my personal autistic definition of the genre, then it might as well be like calling COD an RPG

Arguing with Roguelike purists/autists is like arguing with Dotards
>>
>>321038469
>For example:
>Suddenly all new "RPGs" are shooters in which you can level up in with no other RPG elements
So Fallout 4? Because that is a thing now
>>
>>321038553
>Pretending something like Nethack is in a similar category to something like fucking Binding of Isaac makes me want to throw up.

Seek help anon, your crippling autism surely can't be good for you
>>
>>321038553

I enjoy many of the new "roguelikes" but as you say, they shouldn't be put in the same category as they are completely different types of games.

>>321038571

>>if this game doesn't exactly fit my personal autistic definition of the genre, then it might as well be like calling COD an RPG

Except if you were even the slightest bit knowledgeable about roguelikes and the modern "roguelikes" you would know that the difference is massive
>>
File: 1434991073412.jpg (38 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1434991073412.jpg
38 KB, 800x600
>>321038170
Looks like someone's upset.
>>
>>321038830
>Except if you were even the slightest bit knowledgeable about roguelikes and the modern "roguelikes" you would know that the difference is massive

The difference is literally just that one is turn-based and the other isn't

And the "if you disagree with me then you don't know what you're talking about" argument lifted right from the top of the Dotard talking point list is noted
>>
One way heroics (plus) is a really solid fairly traditional roguelike that can be played pretty fast on steam.

Spelunky is a really good roguelite or like or whatever, free version is on the internet if you want to try it but be warned if you play the original you'll be disappointed with with the music.

Dungeons of Dredmore is a roguelike on steam but I don't enjoy it so don't fall for it.

ADOM is a classic roguelike that recently got a steam release.
>>
>>321038635
When someone says "JRPG", it's obvious what you expect. Turn based, story driven gameplay. You wouldn't say Dark Souls is a JRPG, despite it being an RPG, and made in Japan.

It's the same deal with rougelikes. These games are just misusing the term to mean something completely unrelated.

I know you're too young to remember when FPS games were all called Doom clones. Because games like Hexen and Duke 3D were similar. The term FPS came about because people were able to recognise games as being very different, even if they shared some of the concepts of Doom, like having guns and being in first person.

The misuse of the term Rougelike is even worse. If you don't have any grid based movement, you literally should not be able to call your game a Rougelike. It's nothing like Rouge at that point. "Permadeath" and random dungeons doesn't make your game a fucking rougelike.
>>
>>321039004
>When someone says "JRPG", it's obvious what you expect. Turn based, story driven gameplay. You wouldn't say Dark Souls is a JRPG, despite it being an RPG, and made in Japan.

Except yeah, some people do call it that, and no one cares

It's more like claiming that Diablo or Divine Divinity aren't RPGs because they're not turn-based
>>
>>321039004
get over it lmao
>>
>>321039004
>You wouldn't say Dark Souls is a JRPG, despite it being an RPG, and made in Japan.
Yes, I would. That's the only criteria for being a JRPG.
1. An RPG.
2. Made in Japan.
It doesn't matter what style of RPG is more common or whatever. The reason it is a JRPG is because it's made in Japan.
If you want to describe the game as turn-based, then call it fucking turn-based.
>>
>>321038931

>And the "if you disagree with me then you don't know what you're talking about" argument lifted right from the top of the Dotard talking point list is noted

I didn't say that for you to disagree with me must imply that you don't know shit, what I meant was that you obviously don't know anything about the difference because otherwise you wouldn't make a stupid statement like:

>The difference is literally just that one is turn-based and the other isn't

This is like saying the ONLY difference between JRPGs and WRPGs is:

>>
>>321039227
>This is like saying the ONLY difference between JRPGs and WRPGs is:

Actually the difference is that one is made in the West and one is made in Japan
>>
>>321039075
We've had RPGs that weren't turn-based for almost as long as we've had RPGs. There was, what, a year or two when games like Wizardry were all the rage?

>>321039205
The term JRPG was born to mean a specific style of game, you underage cunt. Not "RPGs made in Japan".
>>
>>321039227
Except no one says that about JRPGs and WRPGs because being a JRPG doesn't necessitate turn-based combat.
You wouldn't call a western-made RPG a JRPG because it had turn-based, story driven gameplay. People only say Dark Souls is a WRPG because they're westerners that want to put foreign media into a box.
>>321039326
THEN WHY THE FUCK IS THE ACRONYM STANDING FOR JAPANESE ROLEPLAYING GAME? Shut the fuck up, you fucking autist.
>>
>>321039326
>We've had RPGs that weren't turn-based for almost as long as we've had RPGs.

And since "Roguelikes" are merely a sub-genre of RPG, this means that there can indeed be RLs that aren't turn-based

Glad we had this little discussion
>>
>>321039283

Let me quote >>321039326

>The term JRPG was born to mean a specific style of game, you underage cunt. Not "RPGs made in Japan".
>>
File: Rouge_the_Bat_Archie.png (325 KB, 520x760) Image search: [Google]
Rouge_the_Bat_Archie.png
325 KB, 520x760
>>321038170
You know what anon I don't think I've ever played a Rouge-like either
>>
>>321039384
>>THEN WHY THE FUCK IS THE ACRONYM STANDING FOR JAPANESE ROLEPLAYING GAME?
Because you're underage, and don't understand the history behind the fucking term.

>>321039427
I think you need to redraw your Venn diagrams, little buddy. All rougelikes are RPGs, but not all RPGs are rougelikes.
>>
File: 1423924090096.jpg (914 KB, 3750x3750) Image search: [Google]
1423924090096.jpg
914 KB, 3750x3750
Can we stop arguing over what defines a genre like damn it isn't that much of an issue, arguing with another anon over the internet won't make everyone start seeing things your way

Can we just get "Roguelike" (not turn based or grid based) recommendations?
>>
>>321039326
Yeah, Japanese roleplaying games aren't Japanese roleplaying games. Clearly we meant "turn based games designed in a very specific way that are absolutely not exclusively made in Japan.

Fuck off you paint drinking fucknut.
>>
>>321039535
>Can we stop arguing over what defines a genre like damn it isn't that much of an issue

The autists from /rlg/ literally refuse to discuss games that they don't like, so it's important to remind them about it
>>
File: rlg.png (71 KB, 661x716) Image search: [Google]
rlg.png
71 KB, 661x716
>>
>>321039535
Cawadoody isn't a Doom clone because it's clearly made lots of changes to the formula. It falls under the wider umbrella of FPS games.

BoI isn't a Rougelike because it's clearly made lots of changes to the formula. Call it whatever the fuck you like, just don't use terms that don't make sense.

>>321039604
I'm very sorry that you don't understand how the term came to be, but how is that my problem? In the information age we live in, you can very quickly correct any misunderstandings yourself with Google.
>>
>>321039535

>Making a categorical error isn't an issue
>Having an entire generation of gaming making the same error isn't an issue

Let me give you an example when it's an issue:

>10 years from now
>Person A wants to play a real roguelike
>Googles roguelike recommendations
>Find nothing of the genre he was looking for

It will become impossible to tell the difference even though the difference in gameplay is huge, that's the issue.
>>
>>321036895
So you aren't looking for rogue-likes at all. There are plenty of other shooters, action-adventure and platformers that you can try, just stop searching in a genre that contains nothing you are looking for.
>>
>>321036895
They're roguelites
>>
>>321039428
You're not even presenting an argument for why that is true.
You're just saying it is because you say it is. Nothing about the acronym implies turn-based combat. You are inferring that through literally not evidence at all whatsoever.
I've seen this argument dozens of times before. There is no evidence for why all JRPGs have to be what you say they are.
>>321039530
>Because you're underage, and don't understand the history behind the fucking term.
I'm well aware of the history of Japanese games, faggot. Just because Japanese roleplay games had a high percentage of turn-based games in the past doesn't make all JRPGs turn-based. It is a turn-based RPG made by a Japanese developer.
You lack of skill in the art of argumentation is laughably pathetic.
>>
>>321039716
>BoI isn't a Rougelike because it's clearly made lots of changes to the formula.

The only real change was being not-turn-based
>>
>all these kids crying over being told they shouldn't use the wrong names to describe things
MOMMY MOMMY GO PICK ME UP THE NEW NINTENDO PLAYSTATION ALREADY
>>
>>321036895
YOU SHOULD TOTALLY PLAY DIABLO III! BESTEST ROUGELIKE EVA!
>>
>>321039535
I'll call it whatever I want you fucking double nigger.
>>
>>321039778
>No hunger system
>No ID system
>>
>>321037471
You should play a Rogue-like instead, much better games.
>>
>>321039806
>>321039826
You are really fucking upset, man.
Go have a snack, play some vidya, and calm down.
>>
>>321039862
>No ID system

Pills and cards?
>>
>>321039778
And, you know, not actually having anything close to permadeath due to the saved progression of items. You can't actually beat BoI in one life, you have to finish a bunch of sub-objectives first until the final level is unlocked.

Not being turn-based or grid-based alone already makes it not a rougelike. It's not some catch-all term for games with random dungeons.
>>
>>321039778

I think you mean
>Not turn based
>Not grid based
>Not an RPG and all that entails
>Not actual permadeath as you progress through your death
>Shitload of other things

And the things it implies change a lot. The difference between how you play a turnbased game and a realtime game is huge, the turnbased game is more tactical while the realtime one is reactive.
>>
Can't you faggots just call them procedural death labyrinths, or PDLs for short, already?

Comparing these games to Rouge is an insult, even if you use shit like Rougelite.
>>
>>321039902
But Diablo is just as much a Rogue-like as Binding of Isaac and Rogue Legacy.
What is your problem with that suggestion?
>>
>>321039731
Jesus christ you guys will never be satisfied.

I've already said several times that I know those games aren't Roguelikes by definition.

But you KNOW exactly what kinds of games I'm looking for, you're just being a smartass about it.

"Roguelike-like" "Roguelite" "Roguelike-lite" "Very specific description that appeases the Roguelike autists"

Whatever you want me to call them.
>>
>>321039942
>And, you know, not actually having anything close to permadeath due to the saved progression of items. You can't actually beat BoI in one life, you have to finish a bunch of sub-objectives first until the final level is unlocked.

None of that has any bearing on the definition of "permadeath"

Permadeath means "you die, start a new character"

TOME has unlockable stuff too and it's a roguelike
>>
>>321040035
>Can't you faggots just call them procedural death labyrinths, or PDLs for short, already?

Or we can just call them Roguelikes, because that's what they are
>>
>>321040045
Diablo isn't anything like either of those games. Actually, each of those games is very different from one another.
Stop shitposting to make yourself feel better.
>>
>>321040127

Good argument
>They're called roguelikes
>No that's what they're called
>>
>>321038002
>I'd call them "Roguelike-lites" but even that tends to confuse people.
People usually call them roguelites.
>>
>>321040058
>Jesus christ you guys will never be satisfied.
I thought the terms were pretty clear, just stop calling your piss easy baby games Rougelikes.

>>321040127
They don't meet half of the definitions for a Roguelike. If my FPS game has RPG elements, at best it's a hybrid.
>>
File: baitin3d.jpg (80 KB, 598x400) Image search: [Google]
baitin3d.jpg
80 KB, 598x400
>>321040058
>Whatever you want me to call them.
Anything but Rogue-likes becaus they are not like Rogue. Try starting a topic that doesn't say something fucking retarded if you want actual replies.
>>
File: [desiretoknowmoreintensifies].jpg (87 KB, 640x512) Image search: [Google]
[desiretoknowmoreintensifies].jpg
87 KB, 640x512
If you're so great, tell me what a roguelike is!
>>
File: 1438826093364.jpg (713 KB, 4800x2700) Image search: [Google]
1438826093364.jpg
713 KB, 4800x2700
>>321040058
You could Try Dungeon of The Endless if you haven't already done so. It has some rogue-likeish elements to it and is pretty fun.
>>
>>321040171
>Actually, each of those games is very different from one another.
Do you understand why it might be silly to use the wrong terms to describe games yet?
>>
>>321040241

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Berlin_Interpretation
>>
>>321040171
But it has random generation and permadeath so fits all the requirements. It's exactly as much a "Rogue-like" as them and fits all the requirements set forth by OP.
>>
File: 5b9.png (92 KB, 463x469) Image search: [Google]
5b9.png
92 KB, 463x469
>>321040236
>if you want actual replies
>my thread already has a lot of replies
Also I included the fact that I know they're not actual Roguelikes in OP if you can read.
>>321039896
epic
>>
>>321036895
There is Ziggurat, but stay away from it, very low weapon and item variety, all guns hit like a pillow and feel like shit, all games feels just like the same.
>>
>this game from 1980 is turn-based, therefore every game must be turn-based to be like it
>>
File: 1442206975534.png (61 KB, 185x185) Image search: [Google]
1442206975534.png
61 KB, 185x185
>ctrl-f "rouge"
>>321039004
>>321039475
>>321038170
>>321038553
>>321039530
>>321039716
>>321039826
>>321039942
>>321040035
For being autistic, you faggots sure are stupid.
>>
>>321040285
I thought you'd try to use that against me. My God, you're more predictable than a autistic child using colored building blocks.
Even actual roguelikes vary from one another. Comparing apples to oranges isn't really helping your argument.
To be fair, I never said that the original definition of roguelike was wrong. I just said that you should get over the fact that language and terminology changes over time.
>>321040327
Isn't permadeath only on a certain difficulty of something?
>>
>>321040316
So according to this, Binding of Isaac is indeed a roguelike

Cool, guess that settles that then!
>>
>>321040380
>know they're not actual Roguelikes in OP if you can read.
So don't even call them that to begin with you double nigger, just ask for games like FaggotNotRougelike#67 instead of being a cunt.
>>
>>321040420
If you're calling your game "Roguelike", wouldn't you expect it to be "like Rogue"?
>>
Can you guys just admit the definition of a roguelike is arbitrary as fuck? Elona is considered a true roguelike in spite of the default build not having permadeath while plus has it as an option at character creation because it uses the traditional grid based system, yet at the same time people will contest the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games being roguelikes because of the lack of permadeath.
>>
>>321040420

>This popular game some strongly definining characteristics
>It's just like this other game, that lacks all of the aforementioned strongly defining characteristics
>>
File: roguelites.png (19 KB, 275x142) Image search: [Google]
roguelites.png
19 KB, 275x142
>>
>>321036895

Caves of Qud is pretty good, prolly the only decent Roguelike on steam
>>
>>321040241
A game like Rogue. Fuck faggots like >>321040316 who are the reason faggots like you and OP exist in the first place.
>>
>>321040483
>If you're calling your game "Roguelike", wouldn't you expect it to be "like Rogue"?

Well of course I would

But it's like saying I can't form a rock-and-roll band because I'm not British and the first rock band was British
>>
File: start (shop).png (79 KB, 804x601) Image search: [Google]
start (shop).png
79 KB, 804x601
Hey OP, just started reading the thread, and got frustrated at the start. I know what you mean and could care less how you defined it. Here's a list of games I think you might enjoy. Sorry if any have already been mentioned I figured no one was answering the original question.

1) Vagante- this game is fun as hell and sooner or later it will have online play. It's better if you play games in a local co op fashion, but I still think it's fun.
2) Nuclear Throne- you posted the picture, if you're debating whether to try it or not- try it
3) Risk of Rain- I haven't gone back to this game in a while but it had it's time
4) Tallowmere- I got it while it was cheap. I thought it was going to be a cheaply made game. It didn't have the character customization I'd hoped for... but it's better than it looked
5) Vertical Drop Heroes- same deal as Tallowmere expected garbage because it was cheap... kind of addicting.
6) 20XX- Megaman meets randomly generated co op
7)Towerclimb- this game is challenging and I like that.
8) Super House of Dead Ninjas- I'm straying further and further from your tastes as the list goes on. It's fall down but instead of a marble you're a ninja, the levels are randomly generated.

Lastly I'd like to recommend Hell Divers. People on here will argue "pay to win" or that it has nothing to do with what you're looking for. I think it's fun as shit and one of the best games I've played in a long time. Hope it helps.

Pic is from Vagante
>>
>>321040469
Did you read the first 2 points and then get bored and skip to the end?
>>
>>321038002

those are called Roguelites,

Games like BoI, and FTL
>>
>>321040551
Not really.

Before FPS games, we had Doom clones.

Before open world games, we had GTA clones.

You are perfectly free to make a game based on some elements of Rogue. But you can't call it a Roguelike unless it meets a certain list of requirements. Feel free to call it a PDL.
>>
>>321038469

but, the new Black Ops is the best RPG ever made

It's a much better RPG than any Final Fantasy game.
>>
>>321040560
>could care less
Oh dear.
>>
>>321040660
>Before FPS games, we had Doom clones.
>Before open world games, we had GTA clones.

Doom clones ARE FPS games, and we had Daggerfall in 1996, before we had GTA3
>>
>>321036895

Binding of issac isn't a roguelike you retarded jackass
>>
>>321040549

What's wrong with the Berlin interpretation? It seem very accurate.
>>
>>321040738
glad you're sticking around for grammatical errors the world needs you.
>>
File: 1415944713790.jpg (59 KB, 500x625) Image search: [Google]
1415944713790.jpg
59 KB, 500x625
>>321040560
Thank you for your recommendations! I'll definitely try those once they go on sale.
>>
>>321040775
>hurr ur dumb
>literally didn't read the entire post
How's it feel to live with Down's Syndrome?
>>
>>321040562
Aside from not being turn-based and only being pseudo-grid-based, BOI hits every "high value factor" on that list
>>
>>321040316
>High value
>Low value
>No actual numbers ascribed to anything, purely qualitative and thus useless for an objective argument

Am I supposed to be impressed?
>>
>>321040759
I don't understand your point, retard.

Roguelikes ARE RPGs. That doesn't mean all RPGs are Roguelikes. The whole reason terms like GTA clone and Doom clone fell out of use is because games using similar mechanics while being clearly distinct started being made. It's the same deal with Roguelikes.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (113 KB, 1280x648) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
113 KB, 1280x648
Should i try Infra Arcana?
>>
Ayo fuck all this shit, I'm hankering after a good roguelike.
I played ADOM and NetHack back in the day and Dredmor a few years ago.

Is SanctuaryRPG a roguelike or just an ASCII RPG?
>>
>>321039774

I'm not even the guy that you're responding to, but you sound like you're 15 or so.

You've been wrong this entire time, and don't realize it, thinking your way of viewing things is objectively correct, when it's entirely wrong, and it's been pointed out to you that it's wrong and you grasp at straws trying to make an argument that was doomed from the start.

Get a grip.

on those straws that you're grasping
>>
>>321040957
>ASCII RPG?
This.
>>
Is SmashTV a roguelike?
>>
>>321040939
And aside from being a first person shooter with no stat assignment or perks, the levelling system in CoD's multiplayer somehow makes it an RPG.
>>
>>321040942

I posted it just as a guideline for what qualifies as a roguelike for people who don't know. That's it.
>>
>>321041031
So it's like Dorf Fortress?

Man, I really need something. If first-person dungeon crawlers can make a semi-comeback, why can't roguelikes?
>>
>>321040948
Yes. Its really fun.
>>
>>321041178
Because first person crawlers don't have schisms in the community over innovation
>>
THEY'RE ROGUELITES
They use elements of rogue but only few of them, they're a lite version of rogue
Stop your autistic squabbling you fags
>>
>>321041178
>If first-person dungeon crawlers can make a semi-comeback, why can't roguelikes?

Because dungeon crawlers don't have the "roguelike police" telling you that you can't play Legend of Grimrock because it's not truly turn-based

Roguelike purists don't want their genre to "come back", because heaven forbid anything deviate slightly from their otab simulators
>>
>>321036895
Try Nuclear throne
>>
>>321036895
>>321037471
>>321038140
>>321038302
>>321038319
>>321038450
>>321038878
>>321039075
>>321039173
>>321039205
>>321039283
>>321039384
>>321039427
>>321039604
>>321039778
>>321039806
>>321039826

I'm not even halfway through the thread.

These are all people who have no idea about genre of games, they are most likely under the age of 18,

please, if you don't know what you're talking about, stop talking,

1st and last post I'm making in the thread
>>
>>321036895
Downwell

Its about 3€ when not on sale, so yeah.

Sunless sea looks good too.

Then there's the classics like Spelunky

Also for reference, I am a classic roguelike addict too. That doesn't mean I am anal retentive about naming.
>>
>>321041376
>recommending SJW throne
>>
>>321041443
>These are all people who have no idea about genre of games, they are most likely under the age of 18

This is the Roguelike autist version of "If you criticize Dota it just means you haven't played it"

I'm 31, I've ascended in Crawl 3 times, BOI is a roguelike according to your very own Berlin Bible
>>
Remind me how pick up ammo in Infra Arcana without picking gun.
>>
File: 1450171212239.jpg (75 KB, 600x470) Image search: [Google]
1450171212239.jpg
75 KB, 600x470
>>321041443
Excellent contribution, you sure convinced me with those compelling arguments
>>
>>321040551

This is the same sort of thing mobas went through, first being called AoS-like, then Dota-like, before people started using the name MOBA or ARTS, but of course, moba being the least accurate name for it, is what everyone started calling it.
>>
>>321041570

not at all,

BoI is not a roguelike for many reasons, if you think it is then you must not know what a RL is

>>321041604

Thank you, I thought I did a good job as well.
>>
>>321041618
MOBA is the most accurate term

Calling Dota and its ilk "ARTS" isn't accurate because there's less action and less strategy in Dota than in a proper RTS
>>
File: hmm.jpg (6 KB, 200x211) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
6 KB, 200x211
>>321041697
>1st and last post I'm making in this thread
>last post i'm making in this thread
>last post i'm making
>last post
>last
>l
>>
>>321041443
Lose the attitude before you lose your teeth, kiddo.
>>
>>321041697
>not at all, now let me just repeat the thing that was just proven false

Holy shit it really is like talking to a Dota player
>>
>>321041697
Those it really fucking matter.

You are just discussing fucking labels.

If everybody calls it a roguelike, just call classic roguelikes classic roguelikes and you are done
>>
>>321041842
>>321038571

So, what is the best RPG to have come out this year?

>>321041854
>>
>>321036895
Abyss oddysey
>>
>>321041570
>>321041804

>Proven false

Wow great proof there buddy, so Binding of Isaac is a roguelike huh? Let me just check the my holy book as you call it and- oh wait it actually doesn't possess several of the high value qualities of a roguelike.

Also, comparing us to dotards isn't really that logical. We're not defending the game, we're just trying to correct people who are making categorical errors.
>>
>>321041952
>being THIS MAD about being proven wrong that you have to shitpost

lmao so sad
>>
>>321041986

this
>>
>>321041986
>Also, comparing us to dotards isn't really that logical. We're not defending the game, we're just trying to correct people who are making categorical errors.

Oh you mean like Dotards and their autistic crusade against the term "MOBA?"
>>
>>321041952
Call of Duty is more of an RPG than Mass Effect 3 was
>>
>>321042006

Just because a game has one or two elements of another genre, doesn't mean the game is that genre
>>
>>321042079

I didn't know that was a discussion. Whatever that may be about that doesn't change the validity of the arguments made in this thread.
>>
>>321036895
Sword of the stars : the pit.

Its super extensive, quite difficult, and a lot of replay value
>>
>>321042089

but, Mass Effect 3 was a visual Novel, because you could romance the other characters, get your genres straight
>>
File: just rain my shit up.png (27 KB, 695x467) Image search: [Google]
just rain my shit up.png
27 KB, 695x467
>>321036895
>Roguelike

Now that I've said it I'll list what I played that has some semblance of permanent death, procedural gen, and unlock system

>Risk of Rain
Really needs Glass artifact but can be great; unfortunately the netcode isn't so.
>Spelunky
Very much worth playing.
>Rogue Legacy
It's fucking shit for a roguelite, I don't even bloody care if it has airdashing or not.

Alright those aside I wouldn't mind other suggestions too, I want to wash my mouth of Afterbirth as it's like the only expansion I've ever witnessed that actually made the game overall worse. 30 FPS nonsense aside, is Nuclear Throne truly worth my while?

That upcoming STRAFE game supposedly has procedural generation but I'm not sure if it will practically be a 'roguelite' in FPS form.

While not truly roguelite at all, you can try playing Doom RPG + DoomRL Arsenal w/ random maps generated from OBLIGE, using Doom 2 w/ the latest GZDoom; there is a launcher available to make launching the combination of mods much more tolerable. Quit the game when you die and generate another batch of levels. Alternatively, use various megawads.
>>
>>321042169
>I didn't know that was a discussion. Whatever that may be about that doesn't change the validity of the arguments made in this thread.

Right, so I'm waiting for you guys to start tackling the valid arguments that I've been making, go right on ahead, I insist
>>
>>321041531
why is it SJW throne? explain this anon
>>
>>321042235

list a single valid argument you've made in this thread
>>
>>321042235

Repeat your arguments and I shall.
>>
>>321042239
>responding to shitposters
>>
>>321042235

I thought dota-tards were the one that liked the term Moba....
>>
File: rami.jpg (445 KB, 2393x851) Image search: [Google]
rami.jpg
445 KB, 2393x851
>>321042239

I'll just leave this here.
>>
File: 1450723079008.jpg (19 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1450723079008.jpg
19 KB, 680x680
FUCKING NORMIES

DUNGEONS OF DREDMOR ISN'T A ROGUELIKE BECAUSE THERE'S NO HUNGER SYSTEM OR DIAGONAL MOVEMENT

BINDING OF ISAAC ISN'T A ROGUELIKE BECAUSE IT'S NOT TURN-BASED

SPELUNKY ISN'T A ROGUELIKE BECAUSE IT'S NOT TURN-BASED OR ON A 2D PLANE

ROGUELITE IS A TERM MADE BY NORMIE REVIEW SITES

GET OFF MY BOARD
>>
>>321042203
Man, I wish the rereleased Rogue Legacy one day as an actual rogue-lite with true permadeath.

There were many good things about it, it was a nice mix between something bullet hellish and platformish. But the grinding ruined it
>>
>>321042364
Haha nope! They fucking hate the term, pretty much entirely because Riot Games is the one that cooked it up
>>
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?tags=1716&page=1#sort_by=Reviews_DESC&tags=1716&page=1

Anything above 90% with at least 200 ratings Early Access shit excluded.

You are welcome.
>>
>>321036895
>Nuclear Throne
>BoI
>Rogue Legacy
>roguelikes

Saging a reddit thread.
>>
>>321042406

If you want you're post to be qualified as a ragepost, then the post must include REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Otherwise it's ragepostlite

:^)
>>
haha it's like the absolute worst people who post on this board decided to show up in this thread to make convenient screencaps of why people hate this place
>>
>>321042406
>DUNGEONS OF DREDMOR ISN'T A ROGUELIKE BECAUSE THERE'S NO HUNGER SYSTEM OR DIAGONAL MOVEMENT

This makes no sense anon
>>
>>321042469

Caves of Qud is the only decent Roguelike on the first page of those listings, the majority of the games listed aren't even roguelikes
>>
>>321042406
>I don't want you to use roguelikes for these games
>but I don't want you to use roguelite either!
Maybe you should just take that dick out of your mouth
>>
File: 1415829258393.png (154 KB, 625x790) Image search: [Google]
1415829258393.png
154 KB, 625x790
>>321042203
>Afterbirth was a disaster
Holy shit was it really? I remember enjoying the fuck out of Rebirth, how did they fuck up Afterbirth?

Would you still recommend it if it goes on a decent sale?
>>
>>321041986
>This list can be used to determine how roguelike a game is. Missing some points does not mean the game is not a roguelike. Likewise, possessing some points does not mean the game is a roguelike.

Berlin interpretation is literally useless for defining the difference between a roguelite and a roguelike, there aren't actually any values assigned to anything so it's not like we can add up the things BoI has and doesn't have and come up with a "roguelike score".
>>
>>321042406

But a roguelike doesn't need hunger or diag movement.
>>
File: 1378702782033.gif (1 MB, 230x172) Image search: [Google]
1378702782033.gif
1 MB, 230x172
>>321042478
>>
>>321042596
He's lying, why do you listen to other anons so easily anon?
Afterbirth was just as good
>>
>>321042397
I thought you weren't supposed to attack devs for their personal politics?
>>
VAGANTES GETTING ONLINE CO-OP?

FIASKDLJASDF
>>
File: 1414096770983.jpg (76 KB, 588x437) Image search: [Google]
1414096770983.jpg
76 KB, 588x437
If its not turn based then its not a roguelike.

Kindly fuck off.
>>
>>321042521
This is the result of being such an insular community for so long

They'd just prefer those games to not exist entirely, because these people have spent the last 10 years playing Nethack before some game dev came along and tapped the well of procedural generation

It's the same sort of backlash that Dota players had against League of Legends; an insular community being forced to accept that their genre is now being innovated on
>>
>>321042683
PFFFFFFFFFFFHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
>>
>>321042397
I love nuclear throne, disappointing that the Dev's a retard but that's not gonna stop me from playing it. Still fun.
>>
>>321042518
Blame Steam's tag system or your overly strict definition of what contitutes a game rogule-like. Rogue-lite obviously did not stick.
>>
>>321042601
Common sense prevails. Missing a hunger system? Eh, we'll let it slide.

Missing every single key aspect of gameplay? Hmm, maybe this game might just not be a fucking Roguelike.

It's really not hard if you've ever played a roguelike before to understand what is, and isn't, part of the genre.
>>
>>321042601

Look, I don't want to use the berlin interpretation. For me and many other people the very least you need for something to be called a roguelike is >>321037701
>>
>>321040073
>TOME
>roguelike

Pick one.
Much too diluted for a roguelike since it has adventure mode.
>>
>>321042792
>It's really not hard if you've ever played a roguelike before

This is going to be the "free space" in the RLG purist buzzword bingo card
>>
Here you go
http://www.roguebasin.com
>>
>>321038124
Rip dcss
>>
File: tfdfjr.gif (366 KB, 400x276) Image search: [Google]
tfdfjr.gif
366 KB, 400x276
>casuals thinking roguelites are roguelikes
>>
>>321042763
he isnt the dev
>>
>>321042683
This is sjw-town now anon
Half the people here spend their time looking up twitter screencaps and bitching about brown and/or female characters in video games
>>
>>321042763
He's generally a pretty cool guy.

His opinions on hiring policies don't really matter given that he works at a studio that consists of two people.
>>
>>321042810
>Look, I want to use my strict and arbitrary individual definition because I REALLY don't want to discuss Binding of Isaac
>>
>>321042810
I'd accept >>321037701 as the minimum to be considered a roguelike game if Elona wasn't considered a roguelike by most people but it is and doesn't have permadeath.
>>
>>321042397

That's retarded.

it's like someone hiring a actor/actress to play the wife of the main character.

WHY CAN'T IT BE MALE, SAYING YOU"RE ONLY LOOKING FOR A FEMALE IS SEXIST.

YOU SHOULD ALLOW EVERYONE TO APPLY AND JUST IGNORE THE MALES

...seriously?
>>
>>321042817
TOME specifically has a Roguelike Mode.

By your logic Nethack isn't a roguelike because Wizard Mode exists.
>>
>>321041697
>its not a rogue-like unless I like it xD
>>
>>321042896
Yes he is.
>>
>>321040551
No, it means you can't form a rock-and-roll band if your music isn't like rock-and-roll.
>>
>>321043004
No. Google is your friend, im not spoon feeding :)
>>
>>321042596
Did you really miss all the threads? Honestly it really just made the game more annoying to play and also introduced some bullshit challenges, there are some things I like about it but I wouldn't say it's really worth it unless you really want the synergies.
>>
>>321042936

Arbitrary? Those aspects are core parts of what makes a game a roguelike. Play Rogue for yourself.

And I like Binding of Isaac, but that doesn't mean it's a roguelike.
>>
>>321042949
Permadeath is literally less important to the genre than turn-based gameplay is, what's so hard to understand?
>>
Honestly I wasn't a fan of Rogue Legacy, too grindy. And the core gameplay, physics, art style, music, writing, setting, etc weren't good enough to make up for it. It's a good concept with less than stellar execution.

Also I'm not really a fan of procedurally generated games in general.
>>
The consuming shadow is good.
Its made by yahtzee
>>
>>321042936

Yes, and? You say that like he's wrong for knowing what he likes.

BoI is a twin stick shooter (or "SmashTVLike") with random room generation. It plays nothing like rogue or any other roguelike. If we can't use genre words to describe core gameplay, they become a lot less useful.
>>
>>321043039
>Arbitrary? Those aspects are core parts of what makes a game a roguelike. Play Rogue for yourself.

I have. It sure is turn-based. Binding of Isaac isn't, but still has a similar feel.

Oh wait, I forgot, I OBVIOUSLY haven't played any RLs according to you, just like how I OBVIOUSLY haven't played Dota whenever I dare to criticize it
>>
Is black ops 3 the best RPG released this year? or what?

>>321042996

because you don't like BO3 doesn't mean it's not a RPG you shitlord, get with the times.

Black Ops 3 is everything a RPG needs to be these days, and to say it's not a RPG means you're misinformed,

you think I'm using the term RPG wrong? you're just a grandpa,

who cares if you like real RPGs, Black Ops 3 is a RPG because I say it is.

this is what you sound like
>>
>>321043029
I haven't been on /v/ for a while, and every time I skimmed over /boig/ on /vg/ it didn't seem like there was any HAPPENING going on.

Can you give me a tl;dr of what they added that made it worse? What specifically made it more annoying to play? I remember when Wrath of the Lamb was released and I thought the Cellar was really annoying because of FUCKING SPIDERS, but I didn't think it made it worse.
>>
>>321043026
I've seen their dev logs and kept up with their involvement as the game has developed.

It's both of their game.
>>
>>321043126
>Binding of Isaac isn't, but still has a similar feel.
You've never played Rogue. Or if you have, you have severe brain damage.

The games don't even remotely resemble each other. BoI has more in common with Zelda 1 than it does Rogue.
>>
>>321043137
I notice that Call of Duty is the go-to example for you purist shitposters, another buzzword to add to the bingo card
>>
>>321043126

>but still has a similar feel.
>something about Dota

Has it occurred to you that the reason people tell you that you don't know what you're talking about might be because you don't know what you're talking about?
>>
>>321037701
I'm all up for the new kind of roguelike games, but I can see how it'd be annoying to search for old style roguelikes only to find all sorts of games without the classic grid-like movement and turn based gameplay.
It'd be nice if we had different names for both, but it's too late I guess.
>>
>>321043207
its Jan's first, Ismail was just a meme "heres my input xDD" guy and producer
>>
>>321043210
>Roguelikes are just a subgenre of RPGs
>Zelda is an RPG
>BOI has elements of both

Not seeing the problem here?
>>
>>321043126

>I have. It sure is turn-based. Binding of Isaac isn't, but still has a similar feel.

Just because it has a similar feel (to you) doesn't mean that it's like Rogue.

>Oh wait, I forgot, I OBVIOUSLY haven't played any RLs according to you, just like how I OBVIOUSLY haven't played Dota whenever I dare to criticize it

Where is this Dota shit coming from? When did we mention Dota? And I never thought you had never played any roguelikes, only that you couldn't tell the difference between modern "roguelikes" and classics.
>>
File: 1449741938426.gif (3 MB, 294x238) Image search: [Google]
1449741938426.gif
3 MB, 294x238
>>321043096
>that art
>>
>>321043225

In Call of Duty you gain experience, and can level up, and use new equipment based on your level.

is that not everything that makes a RPG?
>>
>>321037701
turn based combat? what a tool you are
>>
>>321043113
Bol? Sorry I googled it and I couldn't find anything
Link please.
>>
>>321043270
Yeah, just like how Ethan Coen wasn't involved with the direction of any Coen Brothers movie until 2003.
>>
File: Call the Void.gif (46 KB, 307x256) Image search: [Google]
Call the Void.gif
46 KB, 307x256
>>321036895
Why not try your hand at an actual Roguelike?
I suggest Poschengband, a recently updated *band variant which provides a multitude of different character options and a huge world to explore.
Also the final boss will provide a real challenge for those being afraid that the game might be too easy.
Here is a gif showing one of the higher level spells from the Daemon-school, Call the Void.
>>
>>321043298
>I don't understand what "subgenre" means
Stop posting.
>>
>>321043304
>Where is this Dota shit coming from?

Because you argue exactly like a Dotard, probably the result of being in a similar community
>>
>>321040560
8) Super House of Dead Ninjas- I'm straying further and further from your tastes as the list goes on. It's fall down but instead of a marble you're a ninja, the levels are randomly generated.

Seconding this one. I've noticed that Downfall has been getting quit a bit of attention recently, and Dead ninjas is a superior game in every sense with a similar concept.
>>
>>321043251

It really isn't. /v/ seems to be the last place on the internet completely unwilling to say "roguelite" or "roguelikelike." Really pisses people off around here for some reason, but it's pretty clear that developers, media personalities and the average consumer understand that terminology.
>>
>>321043359
look >>321043309
>>
>>321043359
Lol graphics sucks.
>>
>>321043489
>>321043491

Comedy gold.
>>
>>321040948
tea my nig play it while listening to come occult-rock or eletric wizard for maximum effect.
>>
>>321043304

the person you were replying to was the only person to mention dota, he's the only one in the thread to say anything about it, yeah he mentioned it 10 or so times, but it's only been him.

here's an example of what happened

>BoI is a Roguelike
>No it's not
>But DOTA
>wut?
>DOTA DOTA DOTA DOTAFAG
>wtf are you even saying
>GO BACK TO DOTA

I dislike dota, I didn't like it 10+ years ago when I first played it, and I still don't like it, that doesn't mean that Binding of Isaac is a Roguelike though
>>
>>321043419

Just check out >>321042469
Steam itself is proof to the contrary. Roguelike is used for all sorts of games that only feature permadeath and random level generation.
>>
>>321043489
>>321043491
I hope you're just shitposters from /rlg/ because the ascii in PCB looks great and it's overall a magnificent *band variant.
>>
>>321043489
Don't use my post to shitalk rougelikes you little bitch
>>
>>321043419
>It really isn't. /v/ seems to be the last place on the internet completely unwilling to say "roguelite" or "roguelikelike."

It's the other way around m8
>>
>>321043137
>shitlord

Greats opinions tumblr
>>
>>321043419
>but it's pretty clear that developers, media personalities and the average consumer understand that terminology.
All of that terminology is wrong, though. What you refer to as a Roguelike, or a Roguelite, Roguelikelike is a PDL.

Keeping the Rogue part makes no sense, because these games have almost nothing in common with the original. All it does is breed confusion, and make like and lite interchangeable.

They're Procedural Death Labyrinths.
>>
>>321043580

Yeah I kind of got that it was only him, most other replies usually contained some kind of argument (even if they were poor arguments at best).
>>
>>321043359
Also to add as an example, you can even play as a Ring of Power getting shitters to carry you and consuming other, lesser rings.
>>
Has 'The Swindle' been fixed yet?

I saw the first impressions of the game when it came out and it looked very interesting but people said the core movement system of the game was fucked so I didn't get it. Has it been fixed?
>>
File: JUST.webm (158 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
JUST.webm
158 KB, 960x720
>>321043309
Fuck you, i liked it
>>
>>321043681

so, are you agreeing with me? or do you not know how to read?

you are calling people that are calling Binding of Isaac a Roguelike Tumblr, right?

because that is literally what you just posted.
>>
File: consider the following.jpg (48 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
consider the following.jpg
48 KB, 600x600
Roguelike in its purest definition is simply subgenre of strategic RPGs where you control only a single unit in a dungeon crawling gameplay setting.

Berlin Interpretation is old discredited shit that nobody who actually plays roguelikes takes seriously for its lack of severity in stressing core gameplay mechanics over arbitrary shit like the number of lives you get or how shops are implemented.
>>
>>321043797
I enjoy it, but the art is straight out of 2006 newgrounds
Yahtzee should really hire someone to do it for him.
>>
>>321043838
He's calling you Tumblr for using Tumblr buzzwords like "shitlord"
>>
>>321043681

Yes, all people that think BoI is a Roguelike are Tumblr, but you shouldn't call their opinions great, even ironically, because they might think you're serious
>>
>>321043652

>SanctuaryRPG calls itself a roguelike repeatedly

I am upset.
>>
>>321043872
>Roguelike in its purest definition
>no mention of turn based gameplay
Why are you commenting on a topic you have no understanding of?
>>
>>321043883

So, talking from his perspective is tumblr, got it.
>>
>>321043881
He seems pretty adverse to working with anyone else.
>>
>>321043883
Shitlord used to be common internet lingo
>>
>>321043872

I agree, but
>subgenre of strategic RPGs where you control only a single unit in a dungeon crawling gameplay setting

doesn't cover all that makes a game a roguelike. Yes, it seems overly specific already but it doesn't cover what the actual core gameplay mechanics are. This is why we're having the discussion.
>>
>>321043953
Does strategic RPG not implicitly suggest turn-based gameplay? I didn't realize that RTSRPG was a genre that exists.
>>
>>321043872
Procedural generation and permadeath is what really attracts people to roguelikelikelikelikes. The fact that they're never the exact same game twice allows for infinite replayability.
>>
>>321044006
Common on SomethingAwful maybe
>>
>>321036895
OP try magicite , terraria, roguelands if that is realeased, or just click roguelike tag on steam
and if you want to try real rogue-likes try stone soup dungeon crawl or angband
>>
>>321044006

Shitlord used to be common schoolyard lingo, but this is 4chan. You can't say anything without some retard accusing you of being something retarded. According to this thread I'm an autistic roguelike purist who plays dota but hates both binding of isaac and roguelikes.
>>
>>321040948
Yes.

It's pretty fucking hard though.
>>
>>321036895
None of those games are like Rogue though.
>>
>>321044084
>I didn't realize that RTSRPG was a genre that exists.

Sounds like Brutal Legend, or WC3's hero units
>>
>>321044084

ah, but you see,
Binding of Isaac is a Strategic RPG, just like Mass Effect and Fallout 4,

you have to strategically aim your gun at the enemy in order to hit them.
>>
>>321044234
You meant to say easy, right?
Fucking scrubs.
>>
File: you fucking what.png (20 KB, 565x566) Image search: [Google]
you fucking what.png
20 KB, 565x566
>>321043152
The good things are unlockable starting items for some of the crew. Cain and Eve players especially will appreciate it.

Initially the expansion was released piece by piece because Edmund didn't want anyone datamining because he went with another ARG. It wasn't just one character but also a few fair other items and such. Azazel was nerfed briefly as well, and Judas is no longer guaranteed to get a Devil/Angel Room either (Book of Belial chance from 2500% to 25%) so you're also paying for one nerf at least. I think it was handled poorly

The new alternative floors don't really contribute that much, and the new alternative bosses that can appear early like Sandman often get complaints.

Devil/Angel Rooms are more likely to be useless, and the new room layouts aren't so much fun. I'm especially sick of the L-shaped rooms.

Ultra Greed and Hush have damage resistance scaling from your damage stat. I think the latter boss has really odd placement given how it's meant to be the most grand boss fight so far.

Drowned Hives and Chargers are the worst, they're bulkier than usual and drop off a nice present when killed, another drowned charger and a diagonal four-way tear blast respectively. Boring as shit and slows the earlygame.

Greed Mode is fun the first few times but maxing the Greed machine to get more unlocks can get very grating. You need to max it to unlock a new character which is tougher than pre-Afterbirth Lost.

SPEED is the most bullshit challenge ever as everything is speed up but you, and The Guardian depends on your mulligan buddy not walking into shit to get your hearts depleted. More challenges unlock more pills and useless neutral effects that just really make the PhD less useful.

And heads up in that the Stopwatch is also no longer a special item and you need to be hurt to activate, and the batteries don't max out your use item's charge anymore.

2000charlimit, but this is from recollection
>>
>>321044260
If people had acknowledged the fact he doesn't called them TRUE roguelikes in the OP this thread wouldn't have gone to shit.

Instead people ignored it and we get to have the same goddam quarrel for the thousand time yipee
>>
>>321042735
>muh old ways are the only way

Sorry lots of people prefer something more engaging and challenging for the category.
>>
>>321044085
Procedural generation and permadeath are not unique, centrally defining gameplay mechanics; they can be added to literally any genre of game while preserving that genre. Something like turn-based, grid-based gameplay on the other hand cannot.

That is the distinction I'm trying to draw here. People who refer to "actual" roguelikes are defining it based on its unique attributes, not secondary characteristics that can be added to any genre of game.
>>
>>321044424

That's fine, but don't call it something it's not. Both sides benefit from having seperate names.
>>
>>321044424

>If its not silent then its not a silent movie.
>muh old ways are the only way
>>
>>321042735

>If it's a first person shooter it's not a RPG

Fallout4 is as much of a RPG as any Final Fantasy game and you know it
>>
>>321043739
You sold me.
>>
>>321044424
It's such a stupid debate

Roguelike purists acknowledge that RPGs can be real-time, and that RLs are a subgenre of RPG, but can't seem to piece these two concepts together

It's like that one scene in Spongebob where Patrick continues to insist that it's not his wallet
>>
>>321042735

Must suck to be stuck in the 90s anon
>>
File: 1448804117145.jpg (59 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1448804117145.jpg
59 KB, 900x900
>>321042494
Underrated shitpost. You are a funny guy.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.