[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Arcanum
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: techy.jpg (295 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
techy.jpg
295 KB, 1280x720
Does /v/ like Arcanum of Steamworks and Magick Obscura?

I'm thinking of trying it again after all these years. Any essential mods I'd need? Nothing fancy, just bug fixes or restoration or maybe enhanced textures or smth.

Also, mage or tech?

Pic related: my choice
>>
>>320716915
Temporal mages are fun. Broken as fuck, but fun.
>>
>>320716974
What did they do? I can't remember.
>>
>>320717046
Manipulate time. Slow enemies, speed your friends, ect.
>>
File: LOw5roo.png (45 KB, 272x273) Image search: [Google]
LOw5roo.png
45 KB, 272x273
Oh Jesus, 2nd Arcanum thread in 12 hours

Answering the last post from the previous thread ( >>320654332 ):
Herbology is a complete no-brainer for ANY character. It's even useful for mage to get first rank in it, if not two ranks. The healing salve is just ungodly powerful and reliable.
Therapeutics are just shitty buffs that are useless most of the time.
>>
>>320717246
Sure, but just healing yourself ain't enough, is it?
What about offensive spells / abilities?
>>
Is it possible to complete the game by comitting genocide on the entire world?
>>
>rummaging through Tarant trash bins for crafting parts

Memories.
>>
>>320717518
I think you can kill anyone. I doubt the game won't break.

>>320717341
Oh, right. I've never been one to use cc stuff too often. I prefered the telekinetic hat techs could make that deflected damage.
>>
>>320717518
Of course. Question is - why would you want to do that? I mean an EVIL character has less reasons to side with the bad guy than a GOOD character.

>>320717439
You can heal your followers too. Or hand them healing items. Healing salve is 20 HP healed instantly, always. Thus - reliable as fuck. For the very same reason Looking-glass rifle is the best weapon of the game, because it's ALWAYS dealing 40 damage - enough to one-shot most of low and mid-tier enemies and you know they will drop dead, no matter what.
>>
>>320717701
Oh god yes, I could never leave those alone.
>>
>>320717743
Temporal is worth trying at least once, their top level spell Tempus Fugit doubles your parties speed and halves the speed of everything else in the world. No saves, no resistance, just half speed. It costs a lot to cast but not much to maintain so you essentially get four turns for every one the rest of the world is taking.
>>
>>320717891
That's pretty cool. I bet it would work well with ranged weapons.
>>
>>320716915
The high res mod and the unofficial patch.
High res makes it look better but also improves the gameplay a lot because the default res is ridiculously zoomed in.

I vote tech. A good guy scientist/gunslinger who doesn't have time to deal with all that bullshit hocus pocus.

Whichever you choose play it differently than usual. If a Mage don't go the super easy harm route, there are so many spell paths to take. If a tech guy don't use the pyro axe yourself.
>>
>>320720681
Exactly this.
But I'm thinking I'll be an obnoxious bastard who has no time for plebeians and their winky dinky hocus pocus.
>>
It's great how complex the character creation is in Arcanum, but I really wish they'd made it so you got a stat point and a skill/magic point when you leveled up, it would make so many more builds actually useful before late game.

Obviously you can just get carried by your dog and some ogres while you're a total shitter if you've got a slow burner build, but that's not very fun and the broken XP mechanic means you'll level pretty slowly that way.
>>
>>320720681
You aren't going to go full racist halfling are you?
Support the half Orc Union! Ogre Island was real!
>>
>>320721528
Can't be bothered with earthly matters.

I must stop the riff raff that thought well of playing around with the laws of the universe and teach them a lesson.
>>
>>320722346
That's acceptable.
>>
mage is fuckin OP, completely unbalanced
>>
Some sort of re-balance mod because melee is op as shit and guns are useless.
>>
>>320723369
I remember using some sort of guns with "elemental" damage as well? And they worked well enough.
If you use guns that only deal physical damage, then yes, magic will be majorly underpowered.
>>
>>320724027
I built some kind of electric rail gun that used three buckets at once and used it a lot. I went through bullets like candy but it worked well and I got it pretty early. Better guns still and later too. Tech users can also used basics grenades like molotovs even with shit throwing that do tons of damage early on and can easily be crafted.

It doesn't need rebalancing, it's not a multiplayer game. Every style of play doesn't need to be equally easy like a mage who uses harm.
>>
>>320716915
Well yes, it's great
After I was very disappointed in the Pillars of Eternity, I decided to replay arcanum and bg to make sure it wasn't just nostalgia.
Yep, it's just obsidian who are incompetent fucktards
>>
Some advice for fellow gunslinger who have trouble against some enemies.

The game has a turn based and realtime option. While turn based is quite clearly the best option a few enemies and weapons were seemingly designed for real time. Some enemies, like a few of the golems, can run across the entire screen in a single turn making anything ranged pretty much worthless against them. However if you switch to real time mode at the start of the fight you blow them away the entire time they charge you if you have a fast firing gun.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.