[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Project M what actually happened. Uncencored pastebin: http
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51
File: k90QYbD.jpg (613 KB, 902x2335) Image search: [Google]
k90QYbD.jpg
613 KB, 902x2335
Project M what actually happened.

Uncencored pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/9KNDK25u

Proof it's real since removed by reddit mod:
http://i.imgur.com/yPCNppQ.png
>>
>>318774187
dayum shame
>>
>>318774187
>not releasing exclusively on end user sites (bb's, trackers, usenet, etc.)
>not keeping anonymous
>if it's absolutely, positively necessary to have a website, not using a Jamaican, Slovakian, or Ukrainian server

Serves those dumbasses right.
>>
>>318774187
>Sakurai mad that a bunch of kids with no money can make a better game than him with all of Nintendo resources.
>>
File: smug_westbrook.webm (3 MB, 400x224) Image search: [Google]
smug_westbrook.webm
3 MB, 400x224
>tfw you don't give a shit about smash bros
>>
>All this whining over a stupid fanmod
Those PM people really think they did something impressive or meaningful don't they? Fucking losers.
>>
File: ayy.jpg (84 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
ayy.jpg
84 KB, 640x640
>>318774187
>Knuckles or Isaac won the Character Vote contest
>>
>>318775767
>better
>>
>>318776164

what didn't you like about PM
>>
>>318776585
>PM
>Not better than Sm4sh
>>
>>318776649
>PM
>better than Sm4sh
>>
>>318774187

Good riddance.

The entire community around PM have always been a bunch of entitled fuckers.
>>
>what do you mean I'm not allowed to reverse engineer a video game ;_;
>>
>all those people yesterday saying that Nintendo dindu nuffin
>>
>>318774187

Thats kind of sad.

If only someone at Nintendo would actually fucking realize that they have this awesome competitive platform to market to. I mean look at what these guys accomplished, and they are nothing more than glorified fans with art and coding experience.
>>
>>318776968
The smoking gun was the fact that they had to stop downloads of it
>>
>>318776712
The only smash game below 4 is brawl though.
In terms of gameplay at least, which is the only thing that matters to me.
4 has a better roster and graphics.
>>
>b-based Nintendo shutting down mod development
>who needs mods? PMfags btfo
I like drinking autist tears as much as the next guy, but I'm not sure why Nintendo setting precedent that they refuse to allow free modifications is a good thing.

with that said, the butthurt is delicious
>>
So it's literally Nintendo's fault. Fucking cunts. It's boycott time.
>>
>people so angry that Sakurai didn't cater to them and make Melee 2.0 that they hack Brawl to death to bastardize it into Melee 2.0 and act like they're God's gift to man for taking someone else's work and changing it into a buggy mess
>get upset when the company that owns the game tells them to stop fucking around with their IP

Bunch of whiny babies needed a dose of reality.
>>
>>318774187
>Proof it's real since removed by reddit mod:
That's your only proof? They probably get a fuck ton of shitposting when things like this happen and unlike here they probably have decent moderation.
Until something comes up to cement it as fact it's bullshit like the rest of the claims.
>>
>>318774187
>Company quashes fan mod to protect its intellectual properties

How completely shocking and unprecedented. Is this a slow news day, or what?
>>
>>318777215
Nintendo didnt do shit this time tho.
They want to kill PM to work in an original game made by an ex-EA executive, wavedash games.
>>
>>318776968
>>318777305

you know they're well within their legal rights to do what they did, right?
>>
>>318776729
the people in smash community are legit autistic anyways, its kind of sad seeing a majority of them playing, and I feel bad
>>
>>318777398
Of course they are, I'm just laughing at the idiots who believed that they stopped out of their own free will instead of legal threat
>>
>>318777398
To be gigantic cunts to their own fans? Yeah I knew that
>>
>>318777398
Fuck them for pushing their shit rape of the best fighting game ever made and forcing the PM heroes to stop under threat of jail. Jews, no better than all the other game companies.
>>
File: Sad panda.png (54 KB, 298x277) Image search: [Google]
Sad panda.png
54 KB, 298x277
>You lived long enough to see Nintendo go from the best in the business to downright incompetent to straight-up cunts
>>
>>318777372
None of that is true you retard. Pmdt had nothing to do with wavedash games.

The op has the real story.
>>
>>318777372
that is if you want to believe some random internet rumors spawning from twitter over the words of one of the main members of the dev team.
>>
>>318777560
a little melodramatic, kid
>>
>>318777562
I'll let you know when it happens.
>>
>>318777361

Has anyone ever actually gone to court for making mods?

Like every mod project when faced with a C&D just shuts down and avoids any further trouble.

I mean, while Nintendo is well within their legal rights to do so, sometimes it still doesn't hold up in court, especially if you're suing for a exorbitant amount or something. Plus, sometimes I wonder if some companies are actually willing to go through with it, because it can result in horrific PR if enough fans get pissed about it.
>>
>>318776649
PM is just Melee with a different skin.
>>
TLDR me.
>>
>>318777562
What would you do if people raged and whined about the games you made for not being what they wanted them to be and actively hacked and changed what you've created to suit their vision while saying they know better than you do and constantly call you a shitty hack who hates them for removing glitches?
>>
>>318777361
I guess the fact that it was exceedingly popular and had been left alone for years makes it newsworthy. We all knew this was a possibility but i think most people who cared figured if nothing had happened at this point there wasnt anything to worry about.

oh well
>>
>>318777737
Nintendo are Jewish cunts. Same shit different day
>>
>>318776164
It was impressive, to be honest. but they knew they were going into dangerous water. in the end, the success of their production was ironically the worst thing that could happens to them.
>>
>>318777787
Leave them to their devices?
>>
>Our decision was very obviously based upon legal threats/reasons and we tried to play it off like it wasn't even though our blogpost basically said "Hey, we're shutting down Project M but it's not for legal reasons. Here's our lawyer and we took down the website and all the DLs, bye!".

The sad part is that people here actually believed them even though it was so obvious
>>
>>318777398
They were also well within their legal rights to try to bar Melee from being streamed at EVO 2013, doesn't mean they weren't being cunts.
>>
>>318777737
Internet rumours that aren't confirmed.
>>
>>318777110
I think Nintendo was very aware of all that, but in the end, the very existence of that PM threatened the inclusions of other licenses.
>>
>>318777730
You're incredibly naïve if you think that
>>
File: jjj.jpg (47 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
jjj.jpg
47 KB, 1280x720
>>318777916
A business has an obligation to protect their IP on behalf of their stockholders. Welcome to the real world sucker
>>
File: 1447411571216.png (31 KB, 133x174) Image search: [Google]
1447411571216.png
31 KB, 133x174
>>318777730
Have you ever played PM? It is so different.
>>
>>318775454
I Mugen doing all of what you are doing?

Then again, it has its own coding. the big issue with PM is that it was using Brawl code.
>>
Nintendo is everything we should hate about the console companies. Why they get a pass on here and even leddit for treating their fans and modding communities like shit is beyond me.
>>
>>318777993
>yfw it was Square that forced Nintendo to shut it down
Makes a lot more sense since it happened right after the Cloud reveal and Nintendo themselves could have shut out down years ago.
>>
>>318777787
well obviously if my fans loved my work so much that they took it upon themselves to improve upon it and put their own spin on it then the only rational reaction is to throw a tantrum and force them to stop under threat of fucking their lives forever both financially and legally.
>>
>>318778205
>Why they get a pass on here and even leddit for treating their fans and modding communities like shit is beyond me.
Not that they've done anything to the communities working for free. It's always ones that are trying to earn money from their IPs in which case they have to act or lose the rights.
>>
>>318778131
So people watching/getting hype about playing their game is detrimental to he company? Are YouTube videos also hurtful? Of course not, if anything it's free advertising. But Nintendo has no clue what they're doing
>>
>>318776231
Isaac is a likely victor
>>
>>318777916
>stop picking on my heroes, they do good against the evil corporations, they're the modern Robin Hood!
>>
>>318778474
>if anything it's free advertising.
>giving let's players the game and console for free is "Free" for the company
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>318777871
From a business standpoint that's retarded

>these guys are making a supposedly better product than us using our own IP without permssion
>it's also free and competes with our own IPs sales
>it also jeopardizes our ability to license other IPs because their creators may be worried about them getting stolen
>>
>>318778435
I cant imagine anyone who would say brawl is better than PM.
>>
>>318774187
One: just because the mods removed this does not mean it's true. The mods also removed the wavedash games 'truth' post, which is mutually exclusive with this. They were both removed and cannot both be true.

Two: where did you get this? Are you part of the DFW scene? It's pretty clear who made the post, so presumably you're someone he knows?
>>
>>318778474
>So people watching/getting hype about playing their game is detrimental to he company?
Read the OP. It's about the inclusion of IP that doesn't belong to Nintendo but to other companies, yet functioning on what is still basically Nintendo code and a Nintendo.

The owners of the Non-Nintendo IP don't feel as comfortable with Nintendo with how the image of their IP get treated.
>>
>>318777737
Reliable source came to PM devs and told them that if they continued, Nintendo would skip the C&D phase and go straight to lawsuit. Guy suspects this is happening now because Square Enix pressure or the upcoming Direct introducing content that PM has.
>>
>>318778673
When did I imply Nintendo would give people anything? I was solely commenting about people streaming a tournament of a game or uploading videos of them playing that game on YouTube.
>>
>>318778279
You think writers like fanfics and slashfics involving their characters?
>>
>>318778415
That's not remotely true. One, the PMDT made no money at all. If any money was made it was by TOs. Two, Nintendo has C&D free games before.
>>
>>318778756
Look as long as it's slandering Nintendo these people won't care about whether or not it's fake.

Might as well let things take their course and wait for them to complain about the next travesty in gaming. Of course /v/ is the kind of group that revels in mediocrity.
>>
>>318778889
It's their IP dude. Whining like a little bitch isn't going to change that
>>
I voted Isaac
does that mean I potentially shut down PM?
>>
>>318777719
They could make a case and very well win it. Fans and modders just don't have the money to fight so big companies get to bully them as they see fit.
>>
>>318779025
So why bring up Nintendo giving stuff away for free?
>>
>>318778995
There's actually pretty good odds this is true. I know the guy who this post is supposed to be written by and if it's fake it's a pretty good one. That's why I'm trying to get source.
>>
>>318778963
>Two, Nintendo has C&D free games before.
Not him but they haven't.
They've only c&d games that aren't free or are being used to shill something.
Like that HD SM64. He was using Nintendo's product to promote his own code.
>>
>>318777631
both have the same weight anyway
>>
>Getting something deleted by a Reddit mod is somehow proof

???
>>
>>318778715
>>these guys are making a supposedly better product than us using our own IP without permssion
since it wasnt being sold one can argue fair use. The PM guys have a legitimate legally sound case here, its just that no matter how good your position is you as a private person cant oppose the legal force nintendo can put out.

>it's also free and competes with our own IPs sales
it competes with sm4sh, but to play PM you still need a wii and a copy of brawl. Nintendo products still need to be purchased to play PM (unless you are talking emulation on the PC but thats a whole different subject)

>it also jeopardizes our ability to license other IPs because their creators may be worried about them getting stolen
this on the other hand is the one that makes the most sense. This wasnt done because PM was any sort of threat/danger to nintendo or their IP's, but rather for inter-company PR purposes. Sad but it makes sense.
>>
>>318774187
>"Very reliable source"
Right..., and Chrom is totally going to be a playable character is Sm4sh. I mean, very reliable source, how can you not trust the words of someone posting on the internet?
>>
File: 1447877773335.gif (977 KB, 400x318) Image search: [Google]
1447877773335.gif
977 KB, 400x318
>>318775980
>tfw you don't care about smash bros either
>tfw you think it's funny seeing "b-but melee is the best!" fags get BTFO
>>
>>318778901
depends. Some do some dont. As i understand it, in the writing world its generally considered pretty pretentious to consider your work above parody.
>>
>"only i have the latest build and the tools to completely alter project m"
>all the shit was leaked last night on /v/
>roy's alt was fixed
>ZSS was fixed
>Lyn was fixed

all in less than an hour

I hope they all get sued. Serves them right from not making it open source and more community driven. Bunch of elitist fucks.
>>
File: 0.png (214 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
0.png
214 KB, 1920x1080
Does this mean they will also do something about this too?
>>
>>318774187
This had to happen eventually, at least this explanation sounds plausible. Still going to play 3.6 until the end of days or until something better releases, which will also happen eventually.

I feel sorry for the developers though, what they did may have been wrong but at least it lasted long enough to be left in a decent final state. Hopefully they don't get fucked out of existence, that would leave a bad taste when playing PM.
>>
>>318779927
Hopefully
>>
File: why.jpg (7 KB, 224x217) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
7 KB, 224x217
There are people that exist TODAY, RIGHT NOW, ON THIS PLANET, who believe that there is literally anything wrong with modding
EVERY SINGLE DEVELOPER THAT IS AGAINST MODDING IS CANCER
End of it
>>
While I think its hilarious that the PMfags got BTFO, I can't say I'm fond of a company trying to shut down a mod/mod community. Would have been better if the team imploded in on itself or something, I dunno.
>>
>>318779315
actually considering it this way makes a lot of sense. Nintendo generally doesnt care about free fan projects, but SquareEnix has been known to kill them just for the sport of it.

I thought the idea that clouds inclusion spurred this was crazy but in that light the connection is pretty solid
>>
>>318779927
Only when it's 90% done
>>
>>318777596
>nintendo fags so autistic that they want to stop modding
what the fuck
>>318777787
>hacked and changed
IT'S CALLED MODDING
I WOULD SUPPORT IT
MODDING IS NOT SOME CRIME THAT GOT INVENTED TODAY, IT"S ONE OF THE THINGS THAT HAS ACTUALLY RESULTED IN CREATION OF A LOT OF VIDYA AND OFTEN TIMES DEVS GET IDEAS FROM GOOD MODS
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?
>>
>>318780094
if it's not a mod what is it then?
>>
>>318780158
It's not modding though. It requires reverse engineering of proprietary resources, so it's well within the rights of Nintendo to C&D.
>>
>>318780171
le ebin meme game that doesn't count as per traditional /v/ mental gymnastics
>>
better question. wheres the link to the version 4chan fixed up yesterday?
>>
>>318780269
This is moddiing, though.

Believe it or not , but modding is not limited to game whose code it open source or had level builder included.
>>
>>318780094
PM is a mod the same way Counterstrike was a Half-Life mod. That is to say it is absolutely a mod by pretty much all definitions though granted it does exceed the scope of the average mod.

Nintendo should have done with the PM team exactly what Valve did with the Counterstrike team i.e. buy the rights to the mod and hire the dev team
>>
>>318780094
PM is a mad, seriously I don't understand how it's not a mod.
I honestly don't give a fucking about nintendo vidya, but coming from and old PC scene I don't see how modding can be seen as bad thing by the fanbase in any way, shape or form.
Honestly, do you hate freedom? Do you want to be monitored and controlled 24/7?
>>
If the PM people were so smart and resourceful, why didn't they make their own Smash Bros from scratch with all the stuff they wanted in it instead of taking Brawl, overwriting some lines of code, and boasting that they were so much better than Sakurai and Nintendo for making Melee 2.0?
>>
>>318780269
You mean like, they actually modified the game?
>>
>>318780378
sure but it's illegal modding
>>
>>318780269
/thread
>>
>>318780487
illegally.
>>
>>318780094
>>318780269
>>318780341
PM is a mod, again the same way Counter Strike is a mod
Modding isn't fully comprised of only developer given modding tools and such, any game modifications done by fans, technically even ini file tweaks can be seen as modding depending on how wide you definition is.
>>
>>318780269

Isn't all modding a form of reverse engineering?
>>
File: 1399395401420.jpg (99 KB, 803x790) Image search: [Google]
1399395401420.jpg
99 KB, 803x790
I have an important question

I've never downloaded a release of PM, but did they release it as a standalone game, or was it strictly a mod you had to own brawl to use?
>>
>>318780269
>It requires reverse engineering of proprietary resources
pretty sure that's true if pretty much every game not explicitly coded with mods in mind
>>
>>318779427
>This wasnt done because PM was any sort of threat/danger to nintendo or their IP's, but rather for inter-company PR purposes. Sad but it makes sense.

Especially sad considering SEGA (or their company rep, at least) gave their blessing for Knuckles to show up in PM. If this is all Squeenix's fault (and it could be, they're the biggest pissbaby company in the history of pissbabies), I'll be super pissed. I never even wanted Cloud in Sm4sh.
>>
>>318777110
It probably implies a Melee esque mode might come out for SSB4 or in possible NX version.
>>
>>318780612
not when you're given official mod tools, no
>>
>>318780479
when did they ever boast about that?
>>
>>318780589
the fuck do you mean by illegally?
majority of old modding scene before mod tools were a proper fucking thing involved shit like what PM did and no one made a fuss about it
again most of said modding teams were encouraged and ended up as devs
>>
>>318780615
You need a copy and a hacked Wii or emulate it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRGuCY61vBI

Is this guy accurate?
>>
>>318780505
modding is not illegal
>>
>>318780615
if you own Brawl you can simply load it from an SD card, otherwise you have to mod your wii or create an iso out of brawl to play on Dolphin
>>
>>318780602
except PM is an illegal mod. CS is officially supported. big difference
>>
>>318780479
Why are nintendo fags so bitter?
>>318780681
>Modding is modding only if official modding tools are involved
So modding before 2000's wasn't modding?
Nice to know that I am dealing with retards here.
>>
>>318780615
you must use it alongside brawl. It uses the brawl engine and a decent bit of its code still.
>>
>>318780743
Well, he made this to start with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNqKjtECbOc
>>
>>318780615
They only ever released it officially themselves as a mod that required a Wii and physical copy of Brawl.
>>
>>318780759
Not federal ass rape illegal, but it violates the TOS. Companies have a right to defend their IP.
>>
>>318780740
>>318780779
>>318780828
>>318780854
Okay thank you, that answers my question

That does seem pretty bullshit, I should be able to do what I want with games and hardware I bought
>>
File: 1448975957210.gif (546 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1448975957210.gif
546 KB, 200x150
>>318774187
>Lol that subreddit is bullshit, the PMDT has a bunch of people and tools that only we own.
>Without those tools, it would be incredibly difficult to make progress on PM, and that's not even factoring in how fucking retarded most people would be in a public PMDT.
wew
way to talk about people who are/were interested in continuing this
>>
>>318780787
What you are basically saying is that
>Valve are not dicks and hired modders
>Nintendo are dicks and decided to shut down modders
>>
>>318780826
don't be stupid, plenty of games had mod tools before 2000
>>
>>318780602

Perhaps it's a difference in culture?

Somehow I don't see anything like what happened with Counterstrike happening with a game in Japan, unless there are a bunch of examples I can't think of at the moment.

Perhaps in Japan it's seen as insulting to suggest that you can do a better job designing a game that they released, especially if it's coming from the west?
>>
>>318779427
You're not completely getting my point about the whole "free better competitor" thing. By existing as a free competitor, with a reputation by some of fans of the series as a "better game than the newer one," it dissuades series fans from buying the new game in the series.

PM doesn't need be making money in order to hinder profit, but the extent is much further reaching. Competing with Sm4sh is a big deal from a commercial standpoint, Sm4sh is a console-mover so for many fans of the series it may involve the sale of a new console in addition to the new game. Then, because they have the new console, they may look at picking up more new software titles. By hindering that, they're potentially hurting all other sales. Far-fetched, sure, but companies have had even more retarded decisions based on less data.
>>
>>318780787
Okay I'm taking the bait, how is PM illegal on any sense?

Team Fortress 2 Classic is a TF2 mod with leaked source code from the actual game, but Valve allowed that one to slide. Isn't PM the same way?
>>
>>318780954
>I should be able to do what I want with games and hardware I bought
You know you don't actually own the hardware and software right?
>>
Is this the best version?
http://smashboards.com/threads/project-m-patt-edition-development-permanently-discontinued.335820/
>>
>>318781050
they weren't going to use those assets for anything anymore and it's not nearly as popular as pm was
pm was still thriving and living and people were playing it and they kept adding new content from third parties who as the pastebin mentioned would raise concerns about whether or not they can safely put their characters in nintendo's hands
>>
>>318780971
Valve supported Source modding, given they actually released mod tools. Nintendo did not. Not very shocking what happened, in retrospect

>>318781050
It's illegal because Nintendo said so.
>>
>>318780826
because they're too delusional to accept the fact that nintendo has been going straight down the shitter since wii
>>
>>318780505
Modding is never illegal.
You'd be doing illegal things if you were editing the executable files of the game.
Instead, modding affects the games data files, the big data storage for the game exe.
>>
>>318780990
Not true, majority of games even post 2000s don't have modding tools yet they are modified visually or in other ways quite often.
>>
I really doubt this. Nintendo is going to sue a bunch of broke faggots immediately for something thats been going on for YEARS, when they could just as easily quash the thing with a C&D?

I can understand them nixing things with the threat of it being hung over their heads but no company isn't going to go 0 to 100 like that over some fags with no money to begin with
>>
>>318774187
if that's true, Nintendo was actually pretty nice
>>
>>318781194
Not really
>>
>>318780787
>>318780589
>>318780505

modding is not illegal. They're not making money, not illegally distributing a copyrighted game, not claiming assets as their own
>>
>>318781069
I have a copy of the game and a console to play it on.
Companies that make you sign your ownership rights away to use their products are terrible no matter what.
>>
TL;DR

A bunch of fans got together and made Brawl more like what people actually wanted and Nintendo's all upset that they don't know how to make half-decent competitive games.

rofl get fucked pmdt this is what happens when you buff Mr. C&D too much
>>
>>318781275
yes really
>>
>>318781276
it sure is if the company forbids it
>>
>>318781205
It's less of Nintendo's fault and more of Square's. I mean, PM has been going for years and Nintendo hasn't cared one bit but when cloud rolls up suddenly they get stomped.
>>
>Free mod that requires an actual copy of the game to play
>They're gonna sue us :(

Somebody feel free to explain how that would work.
>>
>>318774187
>posting censored text

Hi plebbit!
>>
>no legit confirmation that nintendo was going to do anything
>FUCKING NINTENDO U'RE SHIT ALALALA

unless this guy was an insider in which case he easily could have just sent a c&d to irrefutably put them down, and even then it doesn't make sense
>>
>>318781278
>Companies that make you sign your ownership rights away to use their products are terrible no matter what.

Oh so you mean what's been happening since games were a thing?
>>
File: table.jpg (70 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
table.jpg
70 KB, 640x480
It being Square's fault makes a lot of sense.
>>
>>318781378
Companies can't make laws.
>>
>It's okay when Nintendo does it!

You Nintendrones literally make me physically ill.
>>
>>318781473
Just because it's common doesn't mean it's okay.
>>
>>318781426
not to mention a modded Wii. Why would Nintendo support something that encouraged illegal modification of their hardware?
>>
>>318781378
So if a company forbids you lending or selling a physical copy of your game it becomes illegal to do so?
>>
>>318781278
>I have a copy of the game and a console to play it on.
That isn't owning the hardware or software. All rights to those go to the company that made it in the first place.
>>
>>318781469
To be fair they're calling it a very reliable source.

I'd have to imagine it's an insider.

I mean nintendo sued a guy over a really bad pokemon party. It's not that hard to believe.
>>
>>318781560
It worked on both hackless and hacked though, so it was completely legitimate.
>>
>>318781527
just because you want it doesn't make it right
>>
>>318781560
>Requires a modded wii

Nope
>>
>>318781560
where are you retards getting this "modding is illegal" bullshit?

The only thing modding your Wii does is void the warranty
>>
>>318781469
well depending on how you look at it that was their C&D, especially if it was info they got from an insoder
>>
File: whbear.png (8 KB, 178x168) Image search: [Google]
whbear.png
8 KB, 178x168
Pretty sure at this point that wiiztec's gonna be in some serious legal shit.
>>
File: 1407973314885.jpg (138 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1407973314885.jpg
138 KB, 800x600
>>318781276
>>318781378
>>318781510
It's technically not illegal. The PMDT would go bankrupt from the lawsuit even if they managed to win, though.
>>
>>318781649
Just because you think so doesn't make it wrong
>>
>>318781560
But you don't...

It just boots from the SD card on the stage builder. Or was that only in older builds?
>>
fuck mods! fuck the user freedom! nintendo pls rape my asshole!
>>
>>318781612
>I mean nintendo sued a guy over a really bad pokemon party.
>TCP is Nintendo
Anyway that was a little more justifiable. The dude was using their assets to advertise the party that was pay to enter.

I'd he had used fan art and such he would have been in the clear.
>>
Project M always had the lowest amount of participators at tournaments out of the three games, didn't it? So who fucking cares? Why are people pretending it was anything worth crying about?
>>
>>318781874
lmao
>>
>>318781763
And Nintendo would be dense to try to squeeze money out of a bunch of teenagers/young adults working for free instead of simply issuing a C&D
>>
>>318781763
This.

It really doesn't matter that it isn't illegal (well it sort of depends on what Nintendo would be suing for) but there's no way a bunch of modders could have the resources to fight off Nintendo.
>>
>>318781792
That's just how it works.
>>
Why can't people just accept that there isn't enough space in the competitive scene for PM anymore between Melee and Smash 4.

I don't believe this story for a second, the devs probably just got tired of putting all this effort into something they don't earn any money from, and some fucktard is trying to stir up drama with Nintendo because of how fucking boring his life is.
>>
Guys, what if Nintendo is planning to put out Knuckles as DLC for smash 4?
Think about it for a second, it's highly plausible.
Knuxs is #3 in popularity polls, falling behind Sonic and Shadow which are already in the game.
Capcom has 2 reps now, so Sega having 2 reps is not that impossible.
Knuxs may have forced Nintendo's hand.
>>
>>318781967
but they know they dont have to, the threat is good enough and thats the point
>>
>>318782018
PM was never in the scene.
>>
File: 1771500.gif (876 KB, 416x410) Image search: [Google]
1771500.gif
876 KB, 416x410
>>318781309
>more like what people actually wanted
>>
>>318782072
Isn't Shadow still just an assist trophy?
>>
>>318781929
>>318782018
It's about fucking freedom of your fandom to simply modify a fucking game
>>
>>318781929
It's actually the healthies it's been for a while (until now). If everyone wasn't so scared of big bad Nintendo it would have more entrants, but tournament organizers are scared to host it and it can't be streamed on Twitch very easily
>>
>Nintendo makes shitty unbalanced fighting game
>Fans fix it with a mod
>Nintendo shuts down mod
Nintendo: ONLY PRAY UNBARANCED GAEMU
>>
>>318777560
>best fighting game ever
Nigga you dumb
>>
>>318782167
Nintendo didn't even do anything.
>>
>>318782018
> the devs probably just got tired of putting all this effort into something they don't earn any money from
i highly doubt a whole dedicated team al simultaneously decided to quit after putting tens of thousands of man hours into the project, especially with a huge update close to finished
>>
>>318781510
They don't have to, copyright law already works like that.

It's a lot easier to get if you look at a different medium instead of videogames.

Imagine if someone made a "fan mod" of Star Wars where they just digitally edit the entire movie in various ways and maybe splice in some footage of their own. Editing the movie isn't in itself illegal, but distributing it is. Note, it's not just a small clip, so fair use doesn't apply here. If they release that movie, it doesn't matter if it's for free or paid, that's copyright infringement and Disney could sue.
>>
>>318782072
>Knuxs may have forced Nintendo's hand.
Not the character just announced from the c&d kings?
>>
>>318782018
>can't mention Project M on miiverse
>Gimr ( the biggest smash streamer) stops streaming because he's afraid nintendo will strike him down
>a bunch of other streamers drop it

hmmmm

Also project M was getting a pretty large following up until gimr stopped streaming it. I think it roughly had 600+ entrants at Apex 2014 that's way more than some fighting games at Evo.
>>
File: 1443716970608.gif (713 KB, 207x334) Image search: [Google]
1443716970608.gif
713 KB, 207x334
It's a damn shame. Please don't kill Minus too. It's too damn fun.
>>
>>318780693
All the time, amplified by the PM dicksuckers. Can't have any form of Smash discussion anywhere without them showing up and shitting all over everything that's not PM.
>>
>>318782018
What are you talking about not enough space? If there's enough people willing to play and willing to watch then it should be able to be played.

It won't matter to Melee or Tr4sh if there's a PM side event at a tourney
>>
>>318782018
So much this.
>>
>>318782118

Well it was actually. Being streamed at national tournaments and having a slew of top players talking and being interested in it.

Then Nintendo started threatening people who wanted to host and stream the game at tournaments and now this.
>>
>>318782325
That's people on /v/. When did the devs ever suggest anything like that?
>>
File: 1438426286248.gif (2 MB, 450x371) Image search: [Google]
1438426286248.gif
2 MB, 450x371
And I thought Bestheda was a shit company, but at least they support modding. You're all faggots for defending this. I mean fuck, Mother 4 is still a thing, and that infringes way more than Project M. Literally, its okay when Nintendo does it.
>>
>>318782257
The difference here is that they aren't releasing a whole "movie," it's a modification that requires the original
>>
It's not any other big companies are any more lenient. There are still plenty more nintendo fan games/mods allowed than fan content of other games. Take Chrono Trigger 3D as a perfect example of this.
>>
>>318781069
EULA's that waive your rights of ownership to things you buy get thrown off the court with a hearty laugh at least inside EFTA
>>
>>318782151
yeah, so he cant be added as a character.
>>
>>318775980
>>318779589
Yet here you are, posting with a reaction image.
Congratulations on the personal blog.
>>
>>318782321
Nintendo have gotten Square involved in Smash. It's going to happen.
>>
>>318782413
>Mother 4 is still a thing

Mother is also a Nintendo series, dumbfuck. So good job proving yourself wrong.
>>
>>318782413
>companies are so evil for not letting me fuck up their stuff and distribute it while claiming it's better than what they do!

Maybe one day you'll understand how the adult world works, kid.
>>
>>318774187
Way to fucking go Nintendo. You cant make a decent smash game, and you wont let others. What a fucking hack company.
>>
>>318782321
Anon the years of brawl modding are going to die.

Fuck I really enjoyed minus too.
>>
>>318782413
>Literally, its okay when Nintendo does it.
It's Square's fault, not Nintendo. Square is notorious for shutting down fan projects
>>
>>318782239
Because I didn't bother to read that huge clusterfuck in the OP pic I'm going to assume Nintendo said: Don't release any more PM shit or else we sue u
>>
>>318777305
>It's boycott time.
It's done, you're not going to accomplish anything.
>>
>>318782239
>nintendo dindu nuffin
>we wuz gud cumpanee
>>
>>318782520
If anything that just strengthens the case about it being Square Enix's doing.
>>
>>318782580
>>318782551
Maybe Nintendo should've declined putting Clod in Smash then
>>
>>318782257
The copyright law doesn't apply here. They're not distributing copyrighted materials.
>>
>>318774187
That's sad, but maybe for the best if they move on to making a new game now. They have the talent to make something really interesting
>>
>>318782551

I don't think we'll ever find out which company is more responsible. But I think it's safe to say the both Nintendo and Square are greedy jew lords.
>>
>>318781612
Nintendo sued him because he was using pokemon images for a paid event.

Also, other than OP images, do we have any other confirmation that it was an actual 'reliable source' that said a C&D was coming? Because right now, it's pure speculation.
>>
I really hope Bethesda doesn't shutdown OpenMW
>>
>Telling people about shit-in-progress
Shame, shame
>>
>>318782640
Nintendo may be one to let mods and fangames slide, but they also don't care enough not to screw them.
>>
>>318782561
One of the reasons on it was the inclusion of Square's IPs.
And they're infamous for this kind of shit so it's not too farfetched to come to the conclusion that square forced their hand.
>>
>>318782669
>Because right now, it's pure speculation.
because this is pure speculation right now.
>>
>>318778504
You are vastly, vastly, vastly overestimating how many people give a shit, let alone KNOW Golden Sun.
>>
>>318782669
Who needs a reliable source when we finally have a reason to piss and whine and rage at Nintendo? How dare they stop the fans form making better products than they make, Melee is love and life and Sakurai destroyed my life when he made Brawl for filthy casuals, doesn't he know the competitive scene is the future of video games?
>>
>>318782731
OpenMW isn't nearly as notorious, so I'd say it's probably pretty safe for the time being
>>
>>318782669
As for right now we can only assume they took the threat very seriously.

I really doubt an entire dev team would shut down a mod they spent years and thousands of hours on just because they got bored.
>>
>>318782413
>Mother 4 is still a thing
Nothing more than a matter of time for that though.

Legal companies operate in their own time frame, one that never seems to be relevant with anyone else.
>>
Nintendo are cunts these days.

It's not like Project M was making money or costing Nintendo money.
>>
>>318782847
>Melee is love and life and Sakurai destroyed my life when he made Brawl for filthy casuals, doesn't he know the competitive scene is the future of video games?
please be bait
>>
>>318782793
So? It's still Nintendo's fault for letting Square force their hand. They could've stayed on the side of fans. Will Cloud actually even sell Smash copies? Does it even matter?
>>
So... is there any pic of this updated ZSS?
>>
>>318782876
Mother 4 has the advantage of being a game that only needs to be released once, and they could easily distribute it anonymously.
>>
>>318782898
It's more like it was making them money.
>>
>>318782520
And Smash is not Nintendo series? Kill yourself.

>>318782545
Who gives a fuck how the adult world works. Modding has been a thing since before fucking Doom. Nobody gave a shit then,and unless they were making money from it, no one should give a shit now. Suck that corporate dick a harder faggot.
>>
>mfw the smash fighting community is destroyed
We fucking did it guys, we finally won
>>
>>318782975
Project M was charging money for it?
>>
>>318782321
All the attention's on project m right now, so brawl - will likely slip by until ninty/square stop caring.
>>
File: 1361836122207.jpg (50 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1361836122207.jpg
50 KB, 512x384
>those reasons why he thinks Nintendo was going to drop the bomb

Sure. Knuckles or Isaac won the ballot, totally. And ues, only Square cared about their character in the game enough to DEMAND that modding of a previous game, where their character even wasnt in, must be shut down.

Anything to shift blame from the poor innocent modders and to the big evil THE MAN.
>>
>>318782954
yeah, but it's at the disadvantage of cataloging active development and being visible as FUCK
>>
>>318782869
I trust 'leaks' and 'reliable sources' as much as I trust politicians. Not very much. However, who the hell knows what really happened since, as mentioned earlier, still speculations.
>>
>>318782923
>Will Cloud actually even sell Smash copies?
Considering most fans have wanted him in since Melee of would say it would along with the remakes hype and how no one else has decided to put Cloud in their game.
>>
>>318782640

If that was it, that would have been a perfectly reasonable decision from a financial point of view.

Cloud as DLC is a home run, most people don't even know what PM is.
>>
>>318782994
No, because you bitched and cried that Nintendo was the ultimate evil that doesn't allow anything, then proceeded to list something that the original Mother developer has already recognized and approved.
>>
>>318782561
Not really. PM team got from a "very reliable" source that Nintendo were going to sue them to hell without passing through C&D.

From what they know, Nintendo is okay with turning a blind eye on what they are doing, but the other IP owner, not so much, and seeing as it's using Nintendo code on a Nintendo console, they are considered responsible for PM.

So, to get other producers to be okay with lending them their IP for their game, Nintendo was going to strike hard on the PM team, or so do they assume from the inside source they got.
>>
>>318783014
>Project Manchildren
>anything but a small autistic fraction
Ayy
>>
File: 1395066685864.png (171 KB, 418x312) Image search: [Google]
1395066685864.png
171 KB, 418x312
>>318783069
>Anything to shift blame from the poor innocent modders and to the big evil THE MAN.
/thread
>>
>>318783045
You had to buy a copy of brawl and a wii. It wouldn't load any other way.
>>
>>318782923
The last person who cared about fans at ninty died from a bile duct tumor.
>>
File: lmao.png (101 KB, 375x360) Image search: [Google]
lmao.png
101 KB, 375x360
>>318782479
>>
>>318782975

I'm not certain but I think the PMDT didn't make a dime off the Mod.

People made thousands off of it in tournament winnings but that money would be from the entrants.
>>
>>318782975
Nintendo has long since stopped selling Brawl.
They're getting fuck all from it. But they also didn't care until now.
>>
File: Untitled2.png (260 KB, 586x502) Image search: [Google]
Untitled2.png
260 KB, 586x502
>>318781393
>>318781484
Well it sure wasn't SEGA.
>>
>>318783171
>PM team got from a "very reliable" source that Nintendo were going to sue them to hell without passing through C&D.
Sounds rather dubious.
>>
>>318783193
Then it was making nintendo money, Project M was not making anything off this.
>>
>>318783193
I'm sure you could place the files inside a Brawl iso, at least for the early versions.
>>
>>318782954
True, but they really have to make this one right.

Also, you would have assumed the same thing from the Chrono Trigger remake.
>>
Nintendo hates wave dashing? Well, then I hate Nintendo.
>>
>>318782908
That's the entire reason Project M came into existence. M stands for Melee, which these people consider the greatest game ever and which needed the sequel to be butchered and modded in order to become Melee mkII because wavedashing and SHFFLing are the most important features ever and Fox and Sheik must remain top tier forever.
>>
Why is Nintendo so demonic now?
>>
>>318783149
>Smash is not a Nintendo series because you bitched and cried that Nintendo was the ultimate evil that doesn't allow anything, then proceeded to list something that the original Mother developer has already recognized and approved.
That makes no fucking sense
>>
>>318783228 (You) #
>>
Based on this, would this have meant releasing those Art Tuesday updates out of nowhere was their idea of 'testing the waters'?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.