[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just saw Warcraft. And as someone who has never played the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 11
File: Guldan.jpg (113 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Guldan.jpg
113 KB, 1280x720
Just saw Warcraft.

And as someone who has never played the games or read any of the lore of the universe, I have to say that Gul'Dan was probably one of the best villain's I've seen in a movie like this.
>>
>gul'dan
>villain
>>
Like a good villain, he's what everyone truly wants but is too cowardly to admit.
>>
I look forward to the Director's Cut. There were definite pacing issues in the movie that could be fixed by an added running time.
>>
He is power hungry psychopath. what makes him a great villain
>>
>uh boss, I think guldan is not evil enough. we are not making our message clear
>lets make him drain some sick man's soul slowly while raping babies and killing virgins, that would make evil enough
great villain
>>
>>70839916
>>70839977
>>70840633
Horde scum detected
>>
>>70840059
Is this a meme? I see some """"patrician"""" saying this in every thread about every movie

>muh pacing
>>
>>70840688
>it's another /v/idya babby crying because /tv/ hates his shitty game commercial "movie"

You have two entire boards to sperg over this shitpile, fuck off back there you rimmer
>>
Agreed Blizzbro! You guys are missing out on Blizzard Entertainment™ Warcraft, The Beginning ™ now on theaters on I-MAX 3D and Real 3D. Also, don't forget to get your free copy of Blizzard Entertainment ™, World of Warcraft ™.
>>
>>70840688
>>70840759
As someone who likes the games (WoW included) the movie was paced stupidly and some decisions, like Draka just sticking the conveniently boat-shaped baby holder on the water or basically everything about Khadgar, made me laugh.

>>70840633
Khadgar and Gul'dan should have been shown speaking to Sargeras or Archimonde, so we at least understand the whole "fel corrupts people" thing better. A deal with the devil, basically.

>>70840789
Does anyone even understand what the point of the cards is anyway? As far as I know the only parts of WoW you pay for now are WoD (maybe), Legion, and the monthly fee. What does the card even do?
>>
I didn't see it and don't mind spoilers at all, could anyone explain to me why are people saying he is a good villain? I mean, I know nothing of it, what's his motivation and personality like and what does he do?
>>
>>70840789
Agreed Blizzbro! You guys are missing out on Blizzard Entertainment™ Warcraft, The Beginning ™ now on theaters on I-MAX 3D and Real 3D. Also, don't forget to get your free copy of Blizzard Entertainment ™, World of Warcraft ™.
>>
>>70841105
Gul'dan's motivationis simple, he wants power. He's willing to lie and kill to get what he wants. In the movie he leads the orcs to Azeroth because their world is pretty much dead. He's responsible for it because his magic drains life. Through out the film we're expected that he's a feeble old Orc that needs a cane to get around then Durotan challenges him to a fight. Gul'dan throws his cane to his right hand man and throws off his cloak to reveal he's pretty fucking shredded. He manages to hold his own but chats to use magic to speed things along because he's on a tight schedule.
>>
>>70840789
>>70841108

How about instead of paying money every month to a corporation like Blizzard, you give your money to something that matters? I'm making amonthly donation to Bernie. Match me.
>>
>>70841105
He's not really a good villain in the sense of his motivation, but he is truly evil in the way he behaves.

He directly kills hundreds of draenei to power the dark portal. The visuals of their souls being drained and drawn into the portal were amazing.

His only desire is to conquer another world, as his fel magic has drawn all life out of Draenor.

When in an orcish duel (mak'gora) he cheats and uses his magic to drain the soul out of his opponent and get an advantage.

In that same duel the audience is shown how the fel has changed his body. Previously we see a few spikes on him, but don't necessarily know the ones on his back are actually coming from his body.

As another poster mentioned, while talking to another orc he has a few sippies of soul from a human he's got beside his throne.
>>
Who cares that movie is a disaster
>>
>>70841270
he does not even desire to conquer other worlds, just wants power. When his power kills that new world too, I wonder what was his next plan.

Did he know that he was killing worlds? That would make no sense, other than "for the evulz"
>>
>>70840974
What card? Might be hearthstone packs
>>
>>70841479
It's a key for the full version of WoW. I just activated it and I think it gets everything before Legion and a month of game time, but only for new accounts.

>>70841466
In the movie, probably just power. In the games he came to conquer Azeroth because Medivh told him he could become a god. Ultimately, this is because Medivh was possessed by Sargeras, who wanted his body back. http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Gul'dan#The_First_War
>>
>>70839739
Looks like a Muslim to me.
>>
>>70841466
Gul'dan knew that he was fucking up the planet. I think what he promised the Horde was that they were going to conquer worlds.

I might be mistaking that for Ner'zhul(Gul'dan's mentor) who takes over after he dies and Orgrim's captured.
>>
this was the shittiest movie I've seen in a while. It wasn't telling a story, it was just a bunch of fight scenes tied together with a pile of mary sues and gary stus making really shitty dialogue for 30 second increments.

if you are familiar with warcraft lore and enjoyed this movie know that it is only because you have tinted goggles from nostalgia and you are incapable of honestly evaluating this movie as the piece of garbage it is
>>
>>70841571
>>70841270
Do you think if they explained Sargeras as the all powerful being pulling the strings behind the curtains and he is trying to return to his body that people would have cried LOTR rip off even more so?
>>
>>70841658
>die
Gul'dan was supposed to go in a comma this movie
>>
File: 1456494464972.jpg (92 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1456494464972.jpg
92 KB, 700x700
>>70841679
i honestly give it an 8/10

you probably find movies like fight club "deep" if you think warcraft sucks. the only bad thing about it was the human acting and gorana love scenes but other than that it was kino
>>
>>70841679
I felt the orc story was pretty coherent and actually good but the human side was just straight up retarded. It honestly felt like two movies mashed together.
>>
Reminder that "pacing" is a plebtrap. You will literally never have taste if pacing is a complaint
>>
File: 1455202337532.jpg (6 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
1455202337532.jpg
6 KB, 245x245
>>70841679
>this was the shittiest movie I've seen in a while. It wasn't telling a story, it was just a bunch of fight scenes tied together with a pile of mary sues and gary stus making really shitty dialogue for 30 second increments.

I went to see it with an open mind and my normie friends. I hated it but my normie friends liked it, not sure why.

I played W3 and WoW back in my days so I wanted to really like it, but I couldn't.

>mfw I was the only one who didn't like it
>>
>>70841727
When I said die, I meant when he went to the Tomb of Sargaras at the end of the 2nd War which pretty much fucked over Orgrim.
>>
>>70841658
Ner'zhul realized he was fucking up Draenor and the orcs but Gul'dan was a greedy little bitch who betrayed him.

>>70841723
Probably. If they were to go even deeper and talk about the titans and how Sargeras just gets corrupted by the old gods and causes all of this, the movie would be way too long and incomprehensible.

>>70841679
The movie was pretty and had decent combat scenes, but I'm not bothered to admit it was poorly paced.
>>
>>70841736
i've never watched fight club. this has nothing to do with whether the movie was deep this is about the movie being really shittily written, acted, and edited. it has nothing going for it beyond how it stuck close to home with the computer graphics. and even then those giant shoulder-pads and the gaudy decor looked pretty retarded from the eyes of anyone who hasn't been brainwashed into thinking that shit looks good
>>
>Probably. If they were to go even deeper and talk about the titans and how Sargeras just gets corrupted by the old gods and causes all of this, the movie would be way too long and incomprehensible.

Fuck no. They could've had a five minute exposition at the start and it would've been fine. Add some more character development, make the story flow better, mention the Burning Legion, and the movie would've been better. Normies might not understand it all but they're fucking stupid anyway. They don't understand the current movie as it is and just enjoy the action scenes.
>>
>>70841759
Best description of the plot I've seen.
>>
>>70841880
Well there's forty minutes missing. I'm sure that would cover some character development stuff.

I wonder if it even mentions the Shadow Council or anything related to the Burning Legion.
>>
>>70841922

It's probably 40 minutes of characters saying "the fel" a lot. But yeah, we'll see. It'll never fix why Garona is best buds with the King.
>>
Was Khadgar supposed to come off as comic relief?
>>
>>70841948
Wasn't she kinda BFFs with Llane in the books? It's why tearing his heart with a knife was shocking to everyone.
>>
>>70841922
>>70841880
Fucking hope so. The director's cut could be good if it does this stuff. 5 minutes of seeing the orc world as it was, a demon flying in or some shit, Ner'zhul talking to the demon as if he believes it were an orc ancestor, him realizing how wrong he was, Gul'dan betraying him with the Shadow Council, maybe a Cho'gall cameo just for some dual head bantz, maybe a scene of Sargeras showing Gul'dan what the Burning Legion is capable of? I wanna see a dreadlord and a shivarrah rendered in those high quality movie grafix.
>>
>>70842001
>>70841948
What she is in the books doesn't really matter for the movie. She lacked that development so severely here.
>>
>>70842048
I wonder if any of those deleted scenes showed off how badass Orgrim fucking Doomhamer is.
>>
>>70842100
Orgrim disappointed me because he didn't have his ridiculous/awesome armor.
>>
>>70842139
Yeah, they'll probably make that badass beauty the armor Thrall gets when he's with Blackmoore.

Or maybe in the sequel, Orgrim has the horde take over some human settle so they can actually make decent armor and he gets that beauty then.
>>
>>70842001

This basically: >>70842080

She's a complete stranger from an enemy faction no less. An alien from another world that they've never encountered before. They let her roam free after a night because she talked nice with the queen, then she's riding around and making camp with Lothar and Khadgar. Then they give her a weapon and she's seen everywhere with the KING himself like she's part of the high command.

It just doesn't make sense. The sudden romantic feelings between her and Lothar were also weird and out of place.
>>
>all this talk of a director's cut
if your campy video game fantasy story can't be told in two hours you're too bloated. And you have serious priority problems if you cut all the good not-action-scenes from your movie. the director's cut won't be remarkably better than this i guarantee it.
>>
>>70839739
Was the movie good? No.
Was the movie bad? Definitely Not.
Should it be getting a 27% on Rotten Tomatoes? Lol nope.

I saw it yesterday and I was entertained throughout the whole movie. I definitely knew it wasn't a great movie, but I thought it was still a decent movie. The action sequences were pretty cool, and Durotan was actually a really well fleshed out character, bravo to the director to making me genuinely feel for him. All the other characters were kinda shitty, and I was pretty dissapointed by Travis Fimmel as Lothar.

Gul'dan was actually a pretty good villain as well, I just wish we saw more of Gul'dan and Durotan instead of the cringy romance between Lothar and Garona because it really sucked and took away from the movie. Plus I know the Warcraft universe is very cartoony, but some props and CGI just didnt have enough realism to fully immerse me into the world.

I really think if they did a movie about the downfall of Arthas and his rise as the Lich King it would be fucking amazing. It's a great story that is leagues ahead of the rest of Azeroths lore. There is some real substance in it, and like Lord of the Rings, it has some really dark themes that set it apart from the childish fantasy feel of the rest of the Warcraft universe.
>>
>>70839739
I wanted his death life chant and him talking about 1000 souls from the comic footage

Was fucking awesome, film was great
>>
>>70842750
Yeah I was at Hall H and was fucking hyped with that speech. I thought I might have been just heard that GOAT speech wrong when watching the movie.
>>
Without the humans, this movie is probably a 9/10.
>>
>>70839739
I wouldn't know because I'm waiting to pirate it :)
>>
>>70842603
No it was pretty bad, the 27% is very appropriate.
>>
>>70842901
well that's just your opinion, man.
>>
>>70841768
damn you sound like a huge faggot, your friends sound based

>>70842822
this

>>70842901
nice opinion grandpa
>>
>>70842929
>>70842962
It's the opinion of 73% of critics too
>>
Gul'Dan did nothing wrong.

Fight me.
>>
>>70839739
I kinda liked what a classical villain he was. As weird as it sounds, I think the whole "complicated villain with sympathetic motives" shtick has been done to death. Some people are just evil for the sake of being evil.
>>
>>70843004
Don't most movie critics give a do/don't go see it kind of rating? From the perspective of someone who doesn't know anything about Warcraft, I can see 73% of people just saying it wasn't worth watching. People who have been waiting 10 years for a movie will like it, though.
>>
>>70839739
>And as someone who has never played the games or read any of the lore of the universe

Top kek. Such an obvious shill.
>>
>>70843004
Cool man. While critics are a good indication of how a movie is, they are not very consistent. First of all, they don't even take the median, they take the average (people give shit zeros, like how fucking edgy do you have to be to give a movie a zero). Also, many Hollywood critics are biased as fuck.

I would rather find a conclusion on my own after watching a movie and then use critics opinions as supplementary criticism because they can be pretty flawed. Do you really think Game of Thrones season 6 deserves a fucking 93% on Rotten Tomatoes?
>>
>>70843438
I wait for public opinion before seeing a movie. BvS critics shat on it but most people who I saw it with like it and they were fucking normies.
>>
>>70839739
Shill, please.
>>
>>70839739
>Gul'Dan was probably one of the best villain's

Go back to plebbit.

Gul'dan did nothing wrong.
>>
>>70840633
His line about what he admired about frostwolves and when he acts like a tribe healer and saves Thrall was nice to show he's not so one dimensional.
Still 99% evil, but it was nice.
>>
>>70839739
What the fuck was the Guardian, who appoints the Guardian?

Why is Khadgar a suitable pick for a Guardain when he's a runaway rookie.

Does the Kirin Tor appoint the Guardian?

Why not just have one location the Kirin Tor where the Guardian is the chief there why complicate things.

baka
>>
>>70843916
>saves Durotan's son
>Durotan betrays Gul'dan
Why were we rooting for scumbag Durotan again?
>>
>>70840974
>boat-shaped baby holder on the water
It's called a warcraft
>>
File: warcraft2manualorcs.png (949 KB, 1160x1420) Image search: [Google]
warcraft2manualorcs.png
949 KB, 1160x1420
>>70842139
>blade on doomhammer
nice

Wasn't a fan of hte doomhammer in the movie.
Also thought he was too big, but that was true for every orc.
>>
>>70844011
>>
>>70844006
>What the fuck was the Guardian, who appoints the Guardian?
The Council of Tirsfal appoints a Guardian and the previous Guardian empowers them with shit ton of magic.
>Why is Khadgar a suitable pick for a Guardain when he's a runaway rookie.
The Guardian acts outside of the Kirin Tor since they're a government and the Guardian's role is to keep demons off Azeroth by any means necessary.
>Does the Kirin Tor appoint the Guardian?
No
>Why not just have one location the Kirin Tor where the Guardian is the chief there why complicate things.
Because the Karkazhan(?) is a huge magical hub. In the Warcraft universe there's magical lines that go throughout the world and that's where magic comes from and Karkazhan is where it all connects. So it's the perfect place from the Guardian to research better on how to murder the fuck out of demons.
>>
>mfw when 40 minutes were cut from the film and it obviously shows, especially in the first 1/3rd and we may never get the director's cut

WHY LADS WHY
>>
>>70844064
>Wasn't a fan of hte doomhammer in the movie.
>Also thought he was too big, but that was true for every orc
It's either in Tides of Darkness or Beyond the Dark Portal where someone mentions when they were capturing Orgrim it took three humans to lift up his hammer.
>>
>>70844085
Karazhan
>>
>>70844085
>The Council of Tirsfal appoints a Guardian and the previous Guardian empowers them with shit ton of magic.

>The Guardian acts outside of the Kirin Tor since they're a government and the Guardian's role is to keep demons off Azeroth by any means necessary.

Was this explained in the movie?
>>
>>70844006
>What the fuck was the Guardian, who appoints the Guardian?

THE PROTECTOR OF AZEROTH
>>
>>70844183
Obviously not and I honestly don't blame them. There's so many fucking factions and sub factions in Warcraft it's hard to keep them straight sometimes.
>>
>>70844190
That can means tons of shit, does he keep the peace between the races? Why is he that important, what's his role

This was never properly explained
>>
>>70844006
>What the fuck was the Guardian

The Guardian of Tirisfal is a mage who is imbued by other mages with extra power.

The purpose of the guardian is to take care of large threats, like a demon appearing in the world.

>who appoints the Guardian?
The Council of Tirisfal.
..Except for Medivh.
Medivhs mother was the guardian and didn't trust the council(elves specifically I think), so she made a son to pass the powers over to.

>Does the Kirin Tor appoint the Guardian?
No. Well maybe in the movie they change things.
The Kirin Tor is the ruling body Dalaran(a magocratic nation, and a city).
>>
>OH EM GEE, WE NO RESPECT YOU, YOU LOSE, NOW FUCK OFF

This was the poorest resolution for a villain that I've ever seen in my life.
>>
File: OrcsandHumans.png (388 KB, 1228x454) Image search: [Google]
OrcsandHumans.png
388 KB, 1228x454
>>70844116
Novels are notoriously bad adaptions
>>
>>70844291
I disagree.
>>
>>70844008
>Why were we rooting for scumbag Durotan again?

I wasn't. Durotan getting his ass handed to him was the best part of the film.
>>
>>70844291
GAS THE HUMANS

RACE WAR NOW
>>
>>70844337
Sure Haack
>>
>>70844213
>I honestly don't blame them

It's one or two lines. Instead of that shitty intro that was supposed to evoke WC3, they could've had aline on who is the Guardian and what does he protect the world from.
>>
>>70844291
those aren't novels
>>
>>70844284
YOU NEED THEM FOR THE WARS TO COME
>>
File: Wow-tides-of-darkness.jpg (125 KB, 558x900) Image search: [Google]
Wow-tides-of-darkness.jpg
125 KB, 558x900
>>70844388
They are novels as well.

What he said wasn't mentioned in the games.
>>
>>70844448
>implying this wasn't a good Warcraft book
>>
File: 1456880151229.jpg (192 KB, 746x718) Image search: [Google]
1456880151229.jpg
192 KB, 746x718
>>70844448
well i am wrong and dumb thank you for letting me know
>>
>>70844538
>>70844538
>>70844538
>>70844538
>>
>>70844559
>there are 7 warcraft threads on /tv/ right now
>I know, I'll make my own warcraft thread, and then I'll link to it in other threads
>>
>>70841736
>that image
lel, memories
>>
It makes me sad there were no trolls in the movie. The elves looked fucking stupid too.
>>
>>70844661
Apparently there was a scene where they're fighting a bunch of jungle Trolls in the deleted scenes.
>>
>>70844673
They actually never shot that scene. It was cut because of budget.
>>
>>70844661
Wouldn't fit.
At best a cameo like the murloc or a drawing.

The elves were in it as much as they could as well, unless they got a scene like the dwarves did in the beginning.

I would've preferred to leave them out of it and only have them mentioned.
>>
>>70844723
Dwarves looked like shit and weren't heavily accented caricatures either. Made me sad.
>>
>>70839739
My normies gf who knows literally nothing about the Warcraft universe loved it. I was so surprised.

She liked the "good and evil magic stuff"

She was confused because she thought they were all good guys so why were they fighting
Personally I liked it. The jumps around were a bit annoying but I don't really know how else they could tell the story without the jumps

The humans acting was pretty shit except Ragnar

I loved most of the orc scenes

Here's hoping in sequels we get more horde scenes with trolls and tauren really would love to see how they do them and if theu go full rasta with the trolls it would be crack up. Disappointed no ogres and again the humans acting was pretty shit
>>
>>70840974
After we needed a bit more info on the source of fel. My gf just thought they use it to make themselves stronger it wasn't really clear they were getting it from sargeras especially seeing how hard mediv jobbed at the end
>>
>>70844865
>they were getting it from sargeras
Actually it's from the blood of Mannoroth.
>>
>>70844965
>the fel is from the blood of mannoroth
shutup
>>
>>70845041
Well, the whole orc corruption part is. Also up until that point Sargeras has had nothing to do with the orcs, it's Kil'jaeden
>>
>>70845188
true but that wasn't what other anon was saying. Also I dont really see why it would be necessary to exp[lain the source of the fel anyway. For the point of the movie it's just evil magic.
>>
>>70841880
literally this

lotr fucking knew what was up, one of the most based intros ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhjDnrw34QA
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.