[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I can't believe it but I think an Adam McKay film is going
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: the-big-short-teaser-poster.jpg (515 KB, 650x962) Image search: [Google]
the-big-short-teaser-poster.jpg
515 KB, 650x962
I can't believe it but I think an Adam McKay film is going to win Best Picture at the Oscars.
>>
>>64301304
Moneyball was good, too.

I never expected Steve Carell to be such a versatile actor, because all I'd seen him in was Cimedy. But he really holds up the role.
>>
Really? The film was so muddled and all over the place
>>
>>64301304
I loved it. Great film to end 2015 on, and a surprisingly funny lesson in finance and American greed.
>>
>>64301962
He really isn't though, he's a little better than the rock (not that I hate the rock)
>>
File: 050098-111119-rev-moore.jpg (41 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
050098-111119-rev-moore.jpg
41 KB, 650x366
>>64301304
You're likely right, because the Academy are suckers for for a cause celebre.
>>
>>64302035
wat
>never seen the office
>foxcatcher
>that retarded weather reporter movie
>>
>>64301996
Quality is never a determining factor at the Oscars.
>>
>>64302354
>comedy
>meh
>comedy
>>
>>64301304
I thought about it when I was watching: the topic was good and interesting and educational so everyone was entertained and interested. But was it that good of a movie? It didn't feel that great to me at all, like I was watching some educational youtube video except it was done by actors I like.
>>
>>64303453

I saw plenty of criticism of the movie that likened it to glorified edu-tainment, but I'm not sure I agree. I think it had enough plot and structure to qualify as an actual movie.

You aren't alone in that thought though.
>>
>>64301304
looked like a boring version of Wolf of Wall St 2bh
>>
>>64303540
lol

don't speak out of your ass kid
>>
>>64301304
its great but i dont understand a thing. anyone else?
>>
>>64301304
I didn't mind Carell but I really hope this doesn't win best picture. It's not even in my top 5 for the year
>>
I really liked The Big Short, but it doesn't deserve to win best picture simply because the editing and direction was mediocre at best. It had some great performances, a decent script, and an interesting subject matter but as far as film goes it wasn't anything interesting.
>>
>>64303654
>>>/biz/
>>
>>64303654

Really? I thought they actually did a pretty good job of explaining everything. I won't say I understood all the specifics but the general statements were pretty clear.
>>
>>64303773
>direction was mediocre at best
>Argo
>The Artist
>The King's Speech
>Slumdog Millionaire
>Crash

All of those films had direction that at best would be considered pedestrian.
>>
I'm a big faggot look at my dumb username
>>
>>64303773

I don't know if interesting direction is a consideration this year when Spotlight is in serious contention for Best Picture.
>>
>>64303902
Spotlight was great.
>>
>>64303914

Spotlight WAS great but it was shot like an episode of Law & Order. I'm just saying that flashy direction probably isn't going to be a big deal this year.
>>
They missed the chance for a big budget "evil wall street" movie by quite a few years
no one cares anymore
>>
>>64303948
>Iñárritu
>Scott
>Miller
>McCarthy
>Haynes
>McKay
>Spielberg

All are in play and at least half of those are flashyish.

>>64304030
Wall St. isn't portrayed as wholly evil in The Big Short. It's portrayed mostly as ignorant and stupid.
>>
>>64303654
They explained everything though.
>>
>>64304058
Also crooked.

I genuinely didn't know S&P conducted shady business like that with the banks, though. That was a fucking shocker to me. Although I knew of CDOs, I never fucking knew about synthetic CDOs and combination-based CDOs. That fucking Asian guy at the table with Carrell was so unbelievably smug and fucking apathetic about what he was doing, it was unbelievable.

Interesting sidenote: When the predatory lender scene came on and one of them asked who Warren Buffet is, only me and one other guy in the entire theatre laughed. I heard a girl say, "I don't get it, what's so funny?"
>>
>>64303654
I kind of answered there
>>64304914
>>64304969
>>64305194
feel free to ask questions, i'll try to write more correctly if people are actually reading this lol.
>>
>>64304892
that got like 3 laughs too in my theatre in frog country.
I really loved the film though. I think it's sliding under the radar but carries quite the modern day criticism of the masses not interested by important stuff.

Bourdain, Robbie and gomez were a direct attempt at challenging the spectator into rethinking how and why he doesn't involved more actively unless its celeb stuff.
>>
File: fetaq234f3t.jpg (68 KB, 759x485) Image search: [Google]
fetaq234f3t.jpg
68 KB, 759x485
>all that 4th wall breaking
>>
File: math chink.jpg (95 KB, 1050x567) Image search: [Google]
math chink.jpg
95 KB, 1050x567
>>64305984
this. pic related was especially cringey
>>
>>64301304
I shit you not I did not recognize Brad Pitt until last 15 min.
>>
>>64301304
Red Pill for Normies: The Movie
>>
>>64301304
Not a movie.
>>
>When the predatory lender scene came on and one of them asked who Warren Buffet is, only me and one other guy in the entire theatre laughed. I heard a girl say, "I don't get it, what's so funny?"

Same reaction, I got it, wondered how many other people didn't quite have a grasp on the statement. I mean really, second wealthiest man on the planet, come on.
>>
Did Christian Bale get his eye surgically removed so he could use a glass eye?
>>
>>64306213
Christian Bale played the autist so well
>>
>>64305277
>this isn't even right
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.