[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fact: the only real problem with this movie is that MaRey Sue
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 5
File: Star_Wars_The_Force_Awakens.jpg (834 KB, 2400x1621) Image search: [Google]
Star_Wars_The_Force_Awakens.jpg
834 KB, 2400x1621
Fact: the only real problem with this movie is that MaRey Sue beats Kylo on her first try, which destroys his credibility as a threat. Unless he effortlessly bitchslaps her next movie he's useless to the series as a main villain.

Other than that it was a pretty tight adventure movie, I have trouble believing people really thought about Episode IV when watching it cause despite the overarching plot the dynamics are completely different.

8/10
>>
>>63912919

Its a complete and utter glib facsimile of episode four.

Opening : Rey leaves new Tatooine on the Millenium Falcon which just so happens to be there well being pursued by the New Empire over a droid which has vital information. The New Empire is run by new vader (Kylo Ren), new Tarkin (Hux), and new emperor (Snoke).

Middle: they meet up with a smuggler named Han Solo and the Millenium Falcon gets stuck in a bigger entity. The new Death Star also destroys some planets.

Conclusion : they fight a final battle to destroy the new death star
>>
>>63913115
>Opening : Rey leaves new Tatooine on the Millenium Falcon
That's not the opening m8

>Conclusion : they fight a final battle to destroy the new death star
The focus is completely different, that's not what the conclusion of the movie was, it's just what happened in the background of the conclusion.

You haven't watched the movie.
>>
>>63913148
>That's not the opening m8

The opening act. I think you know what I mean. In A New Hope they leave on the Millenium Falcon well being shot at by the empire but in A New Awakening they are being shot at in an air battle. In both cases they are being chased by the imperials.

> The focus is completely different, that's not what the conclusion of the movie was, it's just what happened in the background of the conclusion.

Thats literally what happens in the final act. They destroy the new death star. They also kill an older mentor character like what they did in A New Hope with Obi Wan. Its a glib facsimile.

> You haven't watched the movie.

I did obviously I can't describe all the rehash in one comment.
>>
>>63913221
>The opening act. I think you know what I mean.
You're trying to weasel your way out of including the movie's fresh elements. Nice try tho.
>Thats literally what happens in the final act
It happens as a backdrop to Rey's rescue and the confrontation with Ren. Finn, the co-protagonist, literally tells Han that rescuing Rey was his goal and destroying the death star was basically an afterthought.
>I did obviously I can't describe all the rehash in one comment.
I'm guessing you just read a lot of whiny reviews and decided to make one of your own, that's what it reads like
>>
>>63912919
>STOP DISLIKING WHAT THEY TOLD ME TO LIKE BECAUSE MUH FEMALE LEAD
>>
>>63913309

>movie's fresh elements

Name them.

> It happens as a backdrop to Rey's rescue and the confrontation with Ren. Finn, the co-protagonist, literally tells Han that rescuing Rey was his goal and destroying the death star was basically an afterthought.

Yes I know he later reveals himself to be a janitor but the reason they went there was to destroy the death star. The essence of the final act was the destruction of the death star. Also the confrontation with Vader (Kylo Ren) which also was a part of A New Hope. As was a main character dieing to him.
>>
>>63912919
there were a shit ton of problems with TFA. pacing was all over place, you got to 4 different planets the whole movie. the characters were too modern (finn is a stereotypical young black guy for example) to be in a star wars setting. the deathstar v3 was awful. rey was a mary sue. its a literal copypasta of ANH. solo died like a bitch and made a face like he had diarrhea when he did. kylo was 2edgy4me. snoke and plasma had no purpose other than to give exposition and move the plot. callbacks were too much.

5/10
>>
>>63912919
I'm going to speculate that Snoke will finish Ren's training in Episode VIII, which will in turn leading him to beat down and defeat Rey, who will then probably turn to the dark side once she realizes the power it gives to people.

Calling it now.
>>
>>63912919
episode about finding luke
not one bit of the movie involves finding luke.
deus ex r2d2
>>
>>63913432
>Name them.
Finn's character and his interactions with any of the others.
>Yes I know he later reveals himself to be a janitor but the reason they went there was to destroy the death star.
That's why Han went there, he basically had to talk Finn into helping him once they got there.
>The essence of the final act was the destruction of the death star.
It barely got any screentime compared to Rey's rescue and the confrontation with Kylo. If two protagonists are in one place what makes you think the movie is focused somewhere else?
>Also the confrontation with Vader (Kylo Ren) which also was a part of A New Hope. As was a main character dieing to him.
Vader and Kylo Ren are completely different, the deaths mean something completely different(and nobody actually died during the final confrontation in this movie)
>>
>>63912919
they should have stuck to the good old
>movie 1: villain beats hero yet hero manages to survive
>movie 2: Hero gets stronger somehow
>movie 3: Hero and villain fights again, hero now wins due to now being stronger

it would have made the movies better.
>>
Kylo hasn't finished his training yet.

They established that and you were too busy trying to think of plotholes to notice.
>>
>>63913485
>pacing was all over place
No it wasn't, it ran at a brisk pace at the first and last acts with some room the breath in the middle. That's not all over the place.
>the characters were too modern
Yes it's supposed to be relevant for this generation not an attempt of jerking off baby boomers. And Finn isn't a stereotypical black guy what the fuck.
>the deathstar v3 was awful
It was barely relevant.
> its a literal copypasta of ANH. solo died like a bitch and made a face like he had diarrhea when he did. kylo was 2edgy4me.
First point is retarded, second point is autistic, third point is retarded.
> snoke and plasma had no purpose other than to give exposition and move the plot.
Snoke was there because it's part of a trilogy and it needs to set something up. Who gives a shit about Phasma
>>
File: head.jpg (12 KB, 450x268) Image search: [Google]
head.jpg
12 KB, 450x268
>Stormtrooper armor STILL doesn't protect against shit

>still yet another Death Star, but this one's a super-duper mega-death star! Wow fuck!

>Emo-Vader can catch energy-bolts from a blaster

>Chewie only shoots once instead of going "Los Angeles cop" and shooting until unloaded and the fucker's swiss cheese

>knowing how to use ther force and how to wield a lightsaber is inherited info -- unless you're Luke who had to learn the hard way

>all done to defeat the empire in the original trilogy was for jack shit nothing
>>
Rey will be stronger than Luke and Anakin, George's words about Luke being the strongest mean nothing now.
>>
>>63913564

> Finn's character and his interactions with any of the others.

In the clone wars we saw soldiers abandon their posts after their first battle. Finn is similar to a clone in that he is trained from birth and given the number FN-2187.

> It barely got any screentime compared to Rey's rescue and the confrontation with Kylo. If two protagonists are in one place what makes you think the movie is focused somewhere else?

The reason I think it was focused on the destruction of the death star is that they literally said it would be operation in a few minutes to shoot the base Leia was at just like in A New Hope. I honestly don't see how you can argue that it is not a copy of A New Hope. Just like in A New Hope we have a confrontation with a space station which was about to be able to shoot our protagonists.

Clearly, the final act was about the destruction of the death star because there were way more lives at stake there. Thats the most important thing that happened. It was about more then a few individuals. Also, as I mentioned the confrontation with Kylo was similar to Vader. Besides that there was no Rey rescue she rescued herself by figuring out how to use the jedi mind trick after a couple of tries.

> Vader and Kylo Ren are completely different, the deaths mean something completely different(and nobody actually died during the final confrontation in this movie)

Kylo Ren literally speaks to Vader's helmet to demonstrate how unoriginal he is and to appeal to nostalgia. Also, Harrison Ford doesn't want to come back.
>>
>>63913689
>i dont know shit, the post
good job, you confirmed yourself for being 16
>>
>>63912919
The movie isn't bad, it's just mediocre:

>beat for beat copy and paste of A New Hope
>constant pandering and fan service
>pacing problems after Jakku
>terrible score
>total change of direction from straight forward adventure movie to find Luke to assault on Death Star 3.0 (!)
>inappropriate humour in some scenes undermines any chance of building real tension
>Mary sue

It's still ok. But if Lucas made this movie, the masses would be pulling it apart right now.
>>
>>63913851
Or a possible outcome is Darth Emo "sees the light" and becomes the final hero who gets rid of Snoke

They're re-telling the original trilogy, so don't be surprised if Darth Emo does like Vader did when he destroyed Palpatine
>>
>>63912919
>shot in abdomen with a blaster
>cut by lightsaber
>tired as fuck from previous fight
>not a sith lord or master of any kind

vs

>someone skilled in hand to hand combat as demonstrated in staff fight

why is that so unbelievable?
>>
Ren is the Zuko of this series, down to getting a scarred face and having temper tantrums. He'll end up redeemed and part of the crew.
>>
>>63913891
As for the humor, you mean like 3PO the entire time the group was on Bespin in Empire?
>>
>>63913868
>In the clone wars we saw soldiers abandon their posts after their first battle
Was that in the movie or the series? Either way that's completely different to depicting a quicktalking stormtrooper with ptsd.
> I honestly don't see how you can argue that it is not a copy of A New Hope. Just like in A New Hope we have a confrontation with a space station which was about to be able to shoot our
That part was a copy of ANH, it was also basically an afterthought to the movie and to both of the protagonists. One of them didn't really care about it and the other didn't know it existed, that's completely different than ANH.
>Kylo Ren literally speaks to Vader's helmet to demonstrate how unoriginal he is and to appeal to nostalgia
He does that because he's a conflicted kid with an inferiority complex following an idealized image of his grandfather, totally the same as Vader right?
>>
>>63913689
You're talking shit m8. You can accept the movie has issues and still like it.

>And Finn isn't a stereotypical black guy what the fuck.

It isn't over the top but there are moments in there to pander to the black audience.
>his "damn girl" expression when he first sees Rey
>"hell no"
>"who's in charge now?!"
>>
>>63913912
I agree that it was believable, but the way it was depicted is gonna make it hard for him to bounce back from unless he's really OP next episode.
>>
>>63913966
Humour from C3P0 makes sense.

JJ had natural humour in this movie from BB-8 and Chewbacca which would have been fine. But he goes over the top at times throughout the movie, killing tension.
>>
>>63914059
And 3PO noy shutting the fuck up while Han got frozen in carbonite didn't kill tension? I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying that its nothing new to the series.
>>
>>63913979
>He does that because he's a conflicted kid with an inferiority complex following an idealized image of his grandfather, totally the same as Vader right?

They did that because they wanted as many callbacks to the OT as humanly possible.

Kylo's obsession and inferiority to Vader is a metaphor for this movie.
>>
>>63912919
i thought the only reason why she had a chance against him was because he was wounded by chewbacca
>>
>>63912919
i think the only reason why she had a chance against him was because he was wounded by chewbacca
>>
>>63914421
Yup. You can see earlier when Han borrows Chewie's laser crossbow that he easily defeats 2 storm troopers shooting at their feet with it.

But he hit Kylo right in the left part of the stomach, he was pretty much fucked up when he fought Rey and Finn.
>>
>>63913979

>Was that in the movie or the series? Either way that's completely different to depicting a quicktalking stormtrooper with ptsd.

The series. Finn is literally raised just like a clone trooper he is even given a designation FN-2187. A change of name from a clone trooper to storm trooper doesn't make it original anymore then a change from Tatooine to Jakku when the planets appear the same for all intents and purposes.

> That part was a copy of ANH, it was also basically an afterthought to the movie and to both of the protagonists.

You are making that up. They literally set the stakes when Leia says their next target is here. That sets the stakes for the final act meaning they must defeat the death star before it destroys them. That is the primary issue they must deal with. Way more lives are at stake here then the confrontation with the Vader fanboy Kylo

> He does that because he's a conflicted kid with an inferiority complex following an idealized image of his grandfather, totally the same as Vader right?

That they even have Vaders helmet there demonstrates that they are attempting to appeal to nostalgia and to make him a rehash of Vader, yes. Not totally the same as Vader just a much weaker version of his character. I mean he even wears a mask so he can be that kind of masked villian guy even though he doesn't need the mask. Visually he is a rehash of Vader.
>>
>>63912919
when you die humanity will cheer.
>>
>All these people complaining about Rey being able to use the Force and a lightsaber without any training
Judging from the visions Rey had when she touched Luke's penis and the fact that using it seemed to drive her insane with anger, it's clear that even though the Force is strong with Rey, it's not in the same way as any Jedi we've seen before her.

Something's weird about her. She's not a normal Jedi. I wouldn't be surprised if she were created using the power of the Force, similar to how Anakin was created.
>>
>>63912919
I have more of an issue with Finn actually putting up a fight with Kylo for a minute. He could barely swing the light saber the first time he used it. At least with Rey you could say "muh force powers"
>>
>>63912919
>Other than that it was a pretty tight adventure movie, I have trouble believing people really thought about Episode IV when watching it cause despite the overarching plot the dynamics are completely different.

Even people that loved it can admit there are huge similarities with Ep4.
>>
>>63914865
Anybody who has an issue with Finn or Rey putting up a fight against Kylo Ren needs to seriously drop the power level logic. This isn't fucking Dragonball Z.
>>
>>63914836

I thought it was just a callback to that weird scene with Luke and Vader in the cave when Yoda was training him.
>>
>>63913958

This. I called it as I was walking out of the cinema.

I would actually be completely on board if they make Rey the "big bad", maybe she was a child of Sheev or something with latent force training who was memory wiped. Then Rey and Kylo could have a poetic fight at the end of the trilogy with the good/bad relationship reversed.
>>
>>63914865
Watch the fight again.

When Ren charges him, knocks Finn on his ass, and Ren turns his back on Finn walking away, IT IS DELIBERATE. It is a guy with a lot of skill TOYING with someone with no skill..

I am stunned /tv/ cant pick this up. It's Ren saying to himself "This is too fucking easy, I am going to have some fun with this"
>>
>>63914916
It's better than IV. Star Wars got depth starting with V. IV was nothing more than an okay film with a plot that had already been done a 1000 times set in a really cool universe.
>>
>>63912919

The only problem?

>>63914693

>Rey knows how to pilot the Falcon like an ace

>The falcon's lower turrent gets shot down but then magically works again for the final blow

>Han Solo's freighter is quickly taken over by 16 people.

>Maz Kanata and the whole castle scene. It makes no sense. Leia could have had the lightsaber

>Xwings shoot stormtroopers and they fall on the ground as if shot by normal blasters instead of laser cannons. They should have been vaporized

>Leia. Worst actress of the entire film. Cannot move upper lip due to forced acting, It even hinders her pronounciation

>Ship designs are overall ugly and unoriginal.

>Phasma is useless and has less lines than the gang leader that assaults Han's freighter

>Warping directly inside the Starkiller's atmosphere

>Attacking some random buildings in a planet makes that planet collapse and blow up

>A planet is like a tv set. You can walk minutes to get to where you want, and you can find your friends because the planet is the size of a set instead of the size of a planet.

>Starkiller shoots a laser that divides into five lasers

>These five lasers shoot five planets that are close together so we can see them in the same shot, instead of realitically being too far away from each other for the naked eye to see them

>A laser can travel faster than the speed or light (but only off screen), because otherwise it would have taken millenia if not millions of years to blow up the planets

>Starkiller sucks a poorly made cgi star directly into a small hole. None of the snow around that whole (or even that hemisphere of the planet) is vaporized or extremely hot and dry

>12 (I counted them) X-wigs can blow up a planet by shooting something that is not really clear. 7 survive.

>Many toys and scenes from the trailer are not in the movie

>The editing is abysmal. Many scenes are pasted on to each other and there's no time to breathe.

Do I need to go on?
>>
>>63915026
exactly. which makes the force ex machina with rey even more bullshit. ren is pretty much having fun with finn, losing to rey was retarded but people will say "but muh injuries, but muh force"
>>
>>63912919
Rey is going to turn to the Dark Side and lay waste to all before her. Kylo Ren will let the light in and eventually stop her.
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 313x286) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 313x286
>>63915042
>It's better than IV
>>
The movie was amazing and you're all a bunch of contrarion shit lords that can't see the different direction they're going.

So what if this first film has a lot of throw back themes it just serves to show fans that they're sticking to the original trilogy more than the prequels, while adding some unique elements that can play out to keep it fresh without alienating fans. They have to be careful to keep a broad range of viewers happy.

Easily 8.5/10
>>
>>63915091
>>The falcon's lower turrent gets shot down but then magically works again for the final blow

Are you fucking dumb? pay attention when you watch a movie before you make your autistic shitposts. I'm surprised people like you even manage to leave home to see a movie in a theater
>>
>>63915026
>It is a guy with a lot of skill TOYING with someone with no skill..
Yeah no, he was actually a worthy contest for a little bit.

"Despite his fear, Finn raised the beam to defend himself. Ren lunged, struck—and Finn parried. Shards of light flew, illuminating the snow and the surrounding vegetation. Drawing back slightly, Ren considered his unexpectedly determined opponent, then resumed his assault with a vengeance."

"Finn blocked him again and again, once letting the other man’s beam slide against his own and harmlessly off to one side. He counterattacked, to no avail. The longer the contest continued, the stronger Ren seemed to become. It was as if he was enjoying the challenge. Feeding upon it."

"At least, it appeared so until Finn parried, swung, and unexpectedly stabbed, the tip of his lightsaber beam grazing Ren’s arm. That made it more than a challenge. Taking a step back, Ren reconsidered his opponent. When he closed the distance between them anew, it was with a purpose that had been previously lacking. Expecting an execution, he had found a contest. Now he had been touched. It was time for play to end."

"Advancing relentlessly, he was driven by something that Finn could not even sense, far less counter. Still the ex-trooper fought back, until Ren landed a blow that cut across Finn’s chest and sent the lightsaber flying from his hand. It landed in the snow six meters distant."
>>
>>63915091
>Many toys and scenes from the trailer are not in the movie
literal autism
>>
>>63915401

Get rekt faggot.
>>
>>63915315
Why is sticking to the OT a good thing? Why is playing it safe a good thing? They chose do it solely because they knew they could coast on nostalgia. It's cynical.

>They have to be careful to keep a broad range of viewers happy.

This is not how good movies are made. When you have to go down a checklist ticking boxes to appease every demographic's desires instead of following the creative vision of one or two people, you're left with a soulless result without artistic integrity that's more product than film. See Jurassic World, The Hobbit.
>>
>>63915647
They wanted to make a good Star Wars film, and the PT were pretty much panned by everyone. This is literally the only route they could have taken while still satisfying the fanbase.
>>
>>63912919
>Other than that it was a pretty tight adventure movie, I have trouble believing people really thought about Episode IV when watching it cause despite the overarching plot the dynamics are completely different.
>8/10
Completely agree, on everything.
Kylo vs. Rey at the end was legit too, I think. They put focus on the fact that Chewbacca's blaster is fucking OP, and Kylo gets hit by it on the chest. He's enoguh powerful with the force to stop mid-air a blaster shot for minutes while having a discussion with someone else, but he's terrible with fighting (hence his training being uncompleted). At the end he was badly injured and mad as fuck, while Rey understood how the force works (somehow?) and used it at her advantage
>>
>>63912919
>the only real problem with this movie is that MaRey Sue beats Kylo on her first try

ignoring that
>Kylo took a bowcaster shot to the hip
>Rey had experience with using stick weapons back on faux-tatooine
>ignoring that black man also injured him

fuck yourself
>>
>>63912919
if in the end it was Rey the one with a scar on her face laying down on her back this movie would have been 10/10. Can you imagine how goat it would be?
>>
File: star wars 1450224490477.jpg (301 KB, 699x1211) Image search: [Google]
star wars 1450224490477.jpg
301 KB, 699x1211
>>63913148
the denial is strong in you
>>
File: good job.gif (2 MB, 235x240) Image search: [Google]
good job.gif
2 MB, 235x240
>yfw Rey is new Luke, Poe is new Han, and Finn is new Leia
>>
>>63915692
You're only saying that because that's what they delivered.

There has been so much mental gymnastics in the last week trying to justify JJ's lack of creativity as a good thing.

>"It sets up the sequels well"
Just like a somewhat original adventure movie could have.
>>
> I have trouble believing people really thought about Episode IV when watching it cause despite the overarching plot the dynamics are completely different.

confirm for retarded
>>
>>63916268
>It goes against the memes so it's wrong
Watch the movie faggot and think for yourself.
>>
>>63916227
>New characters, no throwbacks:
Fans: This is not Star Wars, just a generic scifi movie that happens to be set in the SW universe

I'm actually pretty cool with what they did. They made a pretty good movie that happened to satisfy me as a Star Wars fan. Sure, it wasn't TESB, but nobody expected it to be, since JJ directed it and Disney produced it. It's better than the PT though and it's still better than no Star Wars at all. Thinking it is, that's what's cynical.
>>
>>63913990
could you be anymore autistic?
>>
>>63912919
>I have trouble believing people really thought about Episode IV when watching it

This is just full-on delusional bullshit.
>>
>>63914421
No, the only reason she had a chance against him is because he clearly fancied her and didn't want to kill her. Kylo is a young angsty man who is all awkward around a pretty girl.
>>
>the only real problem with this movie is that MaRey Sue beats Kylo on her first try, which destroys his credibility as a threat

He was already wounded by Chewie gut shotting him.

And then again by Finn.

Their fight wasn't Kylo at the top of his game. I really wouldn't call Rey beating him a problem, especially since a lot of it looked like it came down to luck at the end there. My only real issue with Rey was how quickly she got a handle on the Force.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.