[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/who/ - Doctor Who General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47
File: 10078547-high-.jpg (291 KB, 1066x1600) Image search: [Google]
10078547-high-.jpg
291 KB, 1066x1600
The cucking of Matt Smith edition

>>63739203 has been deleted by the Cybermen
>>
Everything after Series 7 takes place in another universe.

Starting with Asylum of the Daleks, the show takes place in a new reality where the classic series and series 1 to 6 of the new series never happened, at least not the way we saw them. The presence of the Great Intelligence and the multiple splinters of Clara fundamentally alters huge parts of the Doctor's past. So, hats off to Steven Moffat....he's chucked the past out the window; we're essentially watching a different show.
>>
>>63740371
>mods deleting threads

/who/ BTFO?
>>
File: weakbait.jpg (200 KB, 463x470) Image search: [Google]
weakbait.jpg
200 KB, 463x470
>>63740389
>copying posts from GB
>>
>"We're already moving," said Moffat of the new season. In fact, he said "We've had meetings today with two writers who've never written 'Doctor Who' before." Moffat wouldn't name names for fear of brain-explosion, saying only that they are "brilliant, prominent and amazing writers."

Peter Jackson confirmed?
>>
>>63740651
Reminder Liam and Olivia are the names of the next companions according to a spoiler hound.
>>
>>63740668
gr8 b8 m8
>>
RUNNIN RUNNIN RUNNIN RUNNIN RUNNIN
>>
>>63740734
stop
>>
Series 7 is my favourite now because after years of being Moffucked for so long before and after it I prefer unambitious mediocricity.
>>
>>63740668

No they're not.
>>
>>63741000
That's a weird opinion anon.
>>
>>63741092
Maybe it's not my favourite favourite now, but it was fairly down to Earth without overwhelming epic crap. Even finale was rather subdued. And even arc happened to mostly make sense.
>>
Im kinda bummed the Christmas episode is going to be so goofy (or at least thats what I get form that godawful preview) after the season end that was so sad.
>>
>>63741140
If not for River Song, I'd be excited for the same reason.
>>
>>63741127

At least it's consistent. Consistently mediocre.

Every other series has at least one amazing episode in.
>>
i feel way better about the new sonic now
get hype
>>
Ugh, when are we getting a new doctor? Getting kinda sick of an old white man -_-
>>
>>63741237
0/10 very lazy m8
>>
>>63741164
Probably the reason I don't like the tone even more, River Song has become to over played I kinda whish they would give me a break and bring back Rose.
>>
>>63741140
whenever I see previews or images it reminds me of voyage of the damned which I think is awful
who knows though, maybe it'll be okay.

>>63741260
>give me a break and bring back rose
Why would you want Rose back? That sounds even worse than River imo.
>>
>>63741289
>>give me a break and bring back rose
>Why would you want Rose back? That sounds even worse than River imo.

Hyperbolic statement to point out that the over use of said character is as bad as the previous over used "special unique tumblr girl".

That said I didn't mind Clara, but I also like how they ended her story. They need to add a few male character to balance out the super special snow flakes, I'd love another Time lord to travel with him.
>>
>>63740668
Lol, the royals crossover!
>>
How many times is /who/ going to have to be deleted before you autistic cunts get the fucking message?

You ruined something that used to be good, well fucking done.
>>
>>63741484
I thought you were leaving?
Hello again.
>>
R.I.P /who/
>>
>you will never have a stick this far up your butt

How the fuck is Robot Of Sherwood a "jump the shark" moment. It's just a mediocre Gattis episode which we get almost every series. You should have quit after Unquiet Dead.
>>
>>63741518
I think you've got me confused with someone else you worthless shitposter.
>>
>>63741518
If anon left there would only be trips, that would be awful.
>>
>>63741547

Ratings have dropped for one simple reason: lack of promotion. The BBC think just because it's Doctor Who people will tune in. You need to still promote it!

Having a trailer have the words "same old, same old; the Doctor and Clara Oswald in the TARDIS" doesn't help. Why should viewers tune in if it's the same old shite?
>>
Just listened to Doom Coalition: The Satanic Mill.

What a load of rubbish. Edward Collier? Is this a psuedonym for Nicholas Briggs? The story certainly felt like one of his runarounds. Superweapon's going to destroy the universe, the Doctor's tied up, Deus Ex Machina saves the day, Time Lords look puzzled.
>>
>>63741634
Ratings are dropping because TV is getting less popular. It's hard to compete with things that don't require you to be glued to one spot at pre-determined time.

Doctor Who has pretty impressive percentage, it's like 20% of people who watch TV at all or something.
>>
>>63741634
To be fair, it does work though: even with lower ratings the bbc is writing off millions in advertising and still getting sustainable millions in viewing figures
>>
>>63741691
I have no idea what happened in this episode because audios that split between many locations easily confuse me.
>>
#BringBackRTD
>>
>>63741735

As soon as stellar manipulators were mentioned, the story became garbage.
>>
>>63741706
If you look at the relative rating for prime time Saturday Dr Who is doing shit. Stop deluding yourself.
>>
>>63741634
Possibly. There's a probably a number of factors that led to a decrease for S9. I think christmas will get better ratings since it airs at 5 and has River. That GB thread is cancer though, full of people equating their personal opinions onto the show as to why the ratings are down. "I thought X was shit so that's why they're down."

>>63741806
6M is pretty good though.
Most shows don't even get close to that.
>>
>>63741634
So is the problem lack of promotion or the fact it's the same old shite?
>>
>>63741831

Lack of promotion and the trailers that they do use don't exactly sell the series in a positive light.
>>
>>63741820
Doctor Who is getting worse viewing figures than the news. Think about that.
>>
>>63741866

Worse viewing figures than Pointless.
>>
>>63741484
Did it get deleted or just expire out of inactivity?

/who/ I think is fine as an eternal general since it's not just a television and every month has a few new things drop (audios, comics, books, etc.). Plus there's 50+ years of the show to still discuss. It's not like /got/ where there was just the show as it ran, and the books.
>>
>>63741866
>>63741896
I think the final figures are better than Pointless.
Haven't heard about the news though. What type of ratings are BBC news getting?
>>
>>63741634
Absolutely agree. They need to sell the show more. I think the show is as good as it's ever been, but you can't just bank on the name, there's soooo much good TV these days that shows will just be drowned out without either a ) good promotion, b) good word of mouth, c) both.
>>
>>63741939

I think for series 10, they need to move it back to before Strictly Come Dancing.

It's too late after Strictly and a lot of children aren't watching it.
>>
Anyone want to discuss Only the Monstrous? Just finished it.

Liked the Innocent a lot.
Disliked The Thousand Worlds quite a bit.
Was meh on The Heart of the Battle, liked it more now I listened to the Behind the Scenes and heard Briggs explain it a bit.

In general I think it was a bit of dud - you have Sir John Hurt, can you not try to rope in Shearman or something? Should have started with a real classic. I know saying "write a classic" is absolutely useless, but wasting John Hurt on drinking juice and saying nonsense about the Null Zone was silly.

The actual ideas behind the volume were pretty good, and the War Doctor and Ollistra gave good performances of course, but yeah bit of a dud in my opinion.

Why did Engines of War, the 50th, and Only the Monstrous all refuse to really make the War Doctor particularly...bad? War-y? The seventh doctor is noticeably more manipulative and 'evil'. Really hoping future volumes give us more details on the War Doctor was shunned by all the other Doctors. Apart from shooting those innocents around the Dalek ships, he didn't do much that bad.
>>
File: 9WorstSeriesConfirmed.png (57 KB, 1428x597) Image search: [Google]
9WorstSeriesConfirmed.png
57 KB, 1428x597
>>63741866
>>63741896
>>63741924
Series 9 was an abomination and I sincerely hope Moffat is blacklisted when he leaves for not having groom a replacement by this point. He really is a shit.
>>
>>63741939
What type of promotion are you suggesting they do instead?

>>63741992
I think they are. Both Moffat and Capaldi said it should air earlier.

>>63742016
lol go to bed davies
>>
>>63741691
I don't get why people harp on briggs like he's big finish's worst writer. I mean, sure he has an occasional hiccup(particularly with his dalek stories); but for the amount of stories he writes a good 85% are good or better.

Not only that but he has the goddamned decency to leave the companions dead. I mean, maybe I have lower standards than others(what do you guys want anyways, a Shearman season? His flaws will come out as well) but a competent producer who doesn't feel the need to fuck around with open endings or leaving people alive just pointlessly undeveloped? I'll take 50 dalek runarounds in a row before I watch another Journey's End.
>>
>>63741992
Totally agree

>>63742025
>What type of promotion are you suggesting they do instead?

I'd literally be happy with just...MORE of it. It's barely promoted.

But in terms of specifics, the trailers should be more newbie-friendly. Also, much as I like lines "same old same old, the Doctor and Clara Oswald in the TARDIS", that is a fucking godawful nightmare of a trailer line. "Same old" excites nobody new.

>>63742033
Briggs is very average a lot of the time but he's hardly a bad writer yeah, some of his stories are tops. But Only the Monstrous was a real dud IMO.

I think you're overstating his skill though. His stories are incredibly repetitive. The same dull war stories, the same particle nonsense. I absolutely adore some of his stories, but he really is frighteningly repetitive.
>>
>>63742025
Can't stawman those ratings anon
>>
>>63742033

My big problem with Briggs is less that he's an average writer, it's just that he writes so much. Half of the FDAs are by him, all of the War Doctor set so far, the beginning of Dark Eyes. It's always almost always the same - a rehash of the Dalek Invasion of Earth with particles.

It's like if Mark Gatiss wrote 50% of all of NuWho. He's not a bad writer, but he's painfully average.
>>
>>63742016
lol season nine was objectivity the worst series
>>
>>63742091
Yeah that was probably a bad line to put in the trailers. Still though, I thought those were good trailers. The cinematography looked nice and they showed some cool scenes. I'm probably the wrong person to ask though since i'm not even close to a casual viewer.
>>
>>63742110
Yeah this is a good way to put it. His voice (like writing voice, not VA voice) isn't bad or anything, but it's a bit overwhelming when it dominates so much of Big Finish's output.

Do BF get new writers in much?

>>63742165
I actually loved the trailers anon, but the trailers shouldn't be for you and me yeah because like you said, we're not casual viewers. We already watch the show. Ratings can't go up by appealing to current fans, they need to grab new people.

I'm expecting good promotion for Series 10 since Moff said he's designing it as a new jumping in point (like Rose or The Eleventh Hour).
>>
>>63742189
>since Moff said he's designing it as a new jumping in point (like Rose or The Eleventh Hour).
Did he actually say that? I remember him saying something similar like but not sure he outright said that.
>>
>>63742161
I don't know about that, as bad as it was it didn't have Danny Pink doing a matrix flip over a killed robot
>>
>>63742221
He did and said thinking back on it he thinks every new companion episode should be like that. I can dig up the quote if you don't believe me, I think it was in a Radio Times interview
>>
>>63742007
I have to disagree, I quite liked the box set. But I think it all comes down to perspective:In day of the doctor, war was characterized as someone who is the doctor, just with the volume nob all the way turned up, for lack of a better analogy. He was far from the time lord victorious idea, and the idea to separate him was that he was the one you could push into a corner and instead of a tardis materializing around something and saving the day, he'd just blow things up.

Psychologically, its a reversal, because while other doctors seem to wander around until they hit a switch that traps the enemy into both getting what they want but blows them up of their own volition, the war doctor gets backed into a corner and ends up blowing someone else because he makes the undoctor-y choice.

Backed into a corner hurt blows up ships containing daleks hiding behind children, he kills the innocent scientists in the mineshaft, he has ptsd not from doing horrible things, but because he has to fight his own nature, getting cynnical and snarky because he is furious to have to fight himself to do what is necessary. He's still a doctor, still elbowing against the constraints of gallifrey and only helping where he feels like it instead of joining at the beginning of every doctor.

And when you take that perspective I feel like the stories were very successful. I just wish part 1 wasn't so disconnected from 2 and 3.
>>
>>63742189

Well, they got Edward Collier in to write the last part of Doom Coalition 1, which is an odd choice. You'd want to give a new writer something simple, rather than tying up an arc.

Who Edward Collier is no-one knows. No interviews done with him on the extras or in the Big Finish magazine. Is it a fake name for another writer?
>>
>>63742255
That's pretty odd.

>>63742248
Good points anon. My problem isn't so much with the self-contained characterisation of the War Doctor, as much as how he fits into the larger characterisation of the Doctor as a whole. It makes no sense to me why the Doctor shuns this one incarnation who is so very clearly - at least from Only the Monstrous, the 50th, and Engines of War - not as 'evil', 'destructive' or 'manipulative' as the Seventh or even Tenth Doctor.

They take the most interesting parts of his characterisation, everything you said, and give it, what, a quarter of the entire volume? Maybe a fifth? The majority is dedicated to...juice. Null Zone. Dalek plotting. It just feels like an enormous waste to me. There is such a great, fantastic story there, so much potential, screaming to be let it out, and it's suffocating under sci-fi nonsense (Null Zone, drills, etc.), Time Lord nonsense (Serratrix and Ollistra the only interesting ones of the six or seven we are subjected to), and just plain filler.

I'm quite excited about Vol 2 as it features 3 different writers so we might get more different takes, but as it stands the War Doctor jsut feels like a WASTE to me if all his stories are going to ignore, or barely focus on, the actual unique parts of his character.
>>
>>63742110
I think thats just based off what he sees as pet projects. I mean,pre-dark eyes everyone seemed to love briggs(you find me someone who pre-dark eyes thought the 8th doctor adventures briggs stories werent good. I'll find you someone who liked Fear Her quicker. Probably on tumblr).but he dips his hands into projects he gets excited about and can't look at them as objectively(Like Bryan Singer's Superman Returns of which he is a huge superman fan vs his x-men movies, of which he'd never read before starting the movie).

But I think when he has someone like Alan Barnes to look over his shoulder like he did during the EDAs, he's really good. But its telling that the FDAs he produces he craps out on his own stories.
>>
>>63740371

>capaldi isn't actually kissing alex

he's so pure, he really does love that wife of his
>>
moffat brought back douglas adams from the dead
hes writing a capaldi episode
>>
>>63741547

is this guy actually for real or is he being ironic? Because this is exactly the kind of post that would be bait on 4chan
>>
rewatching nuwho, finished series 6, should I ki Doctor, Widow and the Wardrobe? It's shit and I seen it maybe twice now, so should I just jump straight into Ass of the Daleks?
>>
>>63742553
Good bait is always meant to look like a real thing.
>>
>>63742574
Just watch the last scene
>>
>>63742574
Watch the last 2 min or so of Wardrobe, cause the moment with the Ponds is nice. Then watch Pond Life. Then Ass of the daleks.
>>
>>63742574

Skip it. It's the worst of the Christmas specials and there's nothing worth it in there.

Probably Moffat's worst story, actually.
>>
>>63742613
>Probably Moffat's worst story, actually.

I hate doing the whole comparing RTD and Moff complaining thing, but I think this story is the perfect example of the difference:

Moff uses sci-fi trickery to bring the dad back to life

RTD would have kept the dad dead and had the Doctor comfort the family

Moff can do great character writing, and is sooo much better at plotting, but RTD just wrote character and family stuff much more realistically.
>>
>>63742613
>It's the worst of the Christmas specials
It's pretty bad and maybe the worst Moffat story but I think End Of Time takes that award imo.
>>
>>63742691
>Moff [...] is sooo much better at plotting
It's hard to choose between bad plotting and no plotting, but I'm partial to RTD's lack of it.
>>
>>63742494
Nothing impure about a cheek kiss, he lands those on Jenna all the time.
>>
>>63742609
>>63742610
Hey the one scene with 11 and the Mom are good.

>>63742691
Eh. I could see RTD bringing the dad back to life imo.
>>
>>63741896
To be fair, Pointless is fucking GOAT and objectively the better show of the two right now.
>>
File: sonicSaber.png (197 KB, 500x2000) Image search: [Google]
sonicSaber.png
197 KB, 500x2000
/who/ here has watched TFA?

fuck /tv/ memes, the movie was fun and nowhere near as much of an IV rehash as it's being made out to be
>>
>>63742814
granny pls
>>
>>63742830
>37 seconds
Yeah, fuck off Bradley.
>>
>>63742822
Please keep discussion of that movie to one of the many, many threads on it mate. Please don't bring it here. This is Doctor Who.

>>63742766
>Hey the one scene with 11 and the Mom are good.

True

>Eh. I could see RTD bringing the dad back to life imo.

Agree to disagree matey :)
>>
>>63742613
>Probably Moffat's worst story, actually.
Not Hell Bent
>>
>>63742033

>but for the amount of stories he writes a good 85% are good or better.
That was true until 2011, much less so since the Fourth Doctor adventures started. Since then, he wrote at least two episodes each season, and most of them have been pure, unadulterated boredom, with nothing but the most basic Seventies (or Sixties, in Return to Telos' case) nostalgia to carry them.
Even Gatiss, arguably the most nostalgic and unimaginative writer of the new series, tried to make a different kind of story in Sleep No More.
I just can't understand how someone could write 12 episodes of a series and still manage to say almost nothing of value. And it's not only about the 4DAs, The Defectors in the Main Range was exactly the same kind of shit, and I'm ready to bet that his Early Adventure with the Cybermen coming out in January will be like that too.
>Not only that but he has the goddamned decency to leave the companions dead. I mean, maybe I have lower standards than others(what do you guys want anyways, a Shearman season? His flaws will come out as well) but a competent producer who doesn't feel the need to fuck around with open endings or leaving people alive just pointlessly undeveloped?
Briggs wrote only one final story for a companion, To the Death. And it was great. But it was one story. As for Big Finish never fucking up a companion's departure, I'm guessing you haven't heard the last few Hex stories.
>I'll take 50 dalek runarounds in a row before I watch another Journey's End.
Even if I hated Journey's End and Hell Bent, they still inspired strong reactions in me. They made me think about them. The only reaction I had after Energy of the Daleks or Zygon Hunt was "Well, that's one hour of my life I will never get back".
>>
>>63742613
How would you all rate the specials?

For me probably as follows

>GOAT
A Christmas Carol

>Great
Runaway Bride (Cause Donna, no other reason)
Time of The Doctor (Thought it was a good send-off for Smith, and back when I disliked Smith, this was the episode that made me realize I was gonna miss him)

>Decent
End of Time part 1 (BASED WILF, Shitty Simm Master)
EoT Pt 2 (BASED RASS, Shitty everything else)
Christmas Invasion (Thought it was fun, decent enough intro for Tennant. fite me)
The Snowmen ('s alright. Don't remember it too much though)

>Proper wank
Voyage of the Damned (Just no)
The Next Doctor (Oh no)
The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe (cancer)

>I honestly don't know
Last Christmas (I remember Santa... Headcrabs... and that's it)
>>
>>63742691
I could say that RTD's escapism is more subdued. RTD's vision that Doctor is a guy who will show you the universe and maybe make you special, Moffat's vision is that Doctor will fix everything, starting with Time War. And will make you superspecial.
>>
>>63742406
I think the point is subtle though. The reason he gets shunned isn't because he's more extreme than 7 or 10, but because he ignores his own instincts and his solution isn't to do something more doctor-y or make sure everyone lives. For example, one of my favorite 7 stories is Architects of History, a conundrum of which he solves by erasing an entire timeline. It's a brutal solution, and lots of people are hurt in the process, but everyone lives and people live on better for it.

The war doctor blows up himself to temporarily keep the daleks at bay. No one is living better under the shadow of the time war for it having happened, its a temporary solution that was aimed to sacrifice people as an act of war.

And make no mistake the fact that he killed himself for temporary relief is something very undoctor-y. While other incarnations like 8 or 10 were't above sacrificing themselves, it was for greater solutions or to save lives; it was never strictly as an act of aggression.

And so sipping fruit juice is a necessity for the war doctor, because he's lost sight of sacrificing himself for the universe instead of going to create lasting havens like Keska was at the beginning. He needs time to reconcile that while the time war is inevitable, sacrifices may come, someday something nice can grow again if he works at it, and that he has to look for the best solution instead of the hard one or the temporary one. And he cannot hide himself away like he did before where it is beautiful; there is no haven from the time war.
>>
>>63741547
Series 2 had 'Love and Monsters' and 'Fear Her' BACK TO BACK. In terms of quality, the series has never dipped back down to that level.
>>
>>63742923
Honestly not a fan of Cristmas Specials beside Last Christmas.
Even Carol came out unintentionally creepy to me.
>>
>>63742923

>GOAT
A Christmas Carol

>Great
Last Christmas
Voyage of the Damned
The Snowmen

>Decent
The Christmas Invasion
The Runaway Bride

>Bad
The Next Doctor
The Time of the Doctor
The End of Time

>Santa shitting on your plate tier
The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe
>>
>>63742726
RTD had bad plotting too though.
I rewatched Doomsday recently because I remember thinking it was one of the better finales and the episode makes no sense. Plot holes and inconsistent everywhere. Also the scene where Rose is getting sucked in is unintentionally funny now imo.
>>
>>63742917
Correction: He also wrote another companion departure, Blue Forgotten Planet.
Which was possibly the most fucked up departure story ever, with all the bullshit about Mila.
>>
>>63743002
i'll get round to Last Christmas soon enough, so who nose, might enjoy it this time around

>>63743011
>Voyage that high
>Time of the Doctor that low
I'm curious as to why, but okay
>>
>>63742982
Two bad episodes, everything else ranged from decent to top-tier. That compares pretty favourably to the past few seasons.
>>
File: IMG_20151217_073138.jpg (187 KB, 599x825) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151217_073138.jpg
187 KB, 599x825
>>
>>63742917
Agree with everything you said. Briggs writes some great stuff but most of his stuff is so fucking repetitive.

>>63742923
Same as you except moving End of Time Part 1 to wank, and Last Christmas to Great

>>63742976
All of that sounds intriguing for a story once we've settled in with him, but it was a baffling opening set. And I think we just have to agree to disagree on the merits of the character as it stands mate. Hopefully vol 2 will satisfy us both :)
>>
>>63742923
>Quintessential
A Christmas Carol

>Nice
Last Christmas

>Alright
The Snowmen
TotD
Christmas Invasion

>Er
The Runaway Bride

>No
Voyage of the Damned
The Next Doctor
The Widow and the Wardrobe

>FUCK OFFERINO
TEOT
>>
>>63743059
I was thinking more about overarching arcs. I mean, individual episodes are not going to be without plot.
As far as long-term plotting go, Moffat is awful at this and his plotting keeps smearing all over the show.
>>
>>63743071
>everything else ranged from decent to top-tier.
kek no
>>
>>63742917
>Briggs wrote only one final story for a companion, To the Death. And it was great. But it was one story.

But I'm also talking about production choices made since he took over. Nobody's sat down and brought back Mary Shelley or C'Rizz, Sally Armstrong keeps dying in the timelines and never gets her Doctor adventure, Molly is Dead and it stuck with the ending of Dark Eyes. Even when they brought back Charley to 8 it was in an episode placed before they split up.

I have not seen Hex yet.
>>
>>63743059
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R76A930pg_E
>>
>>63743089
where'd you find that?
>>
>>63743105
Actually you're right, because I forgot The Idiot's Lantern. The rest is great.
>>
>>63743067

I actually really like Voyage of the Damned. I think it's a fun adventure/disaster story. I wouldn't rank it in my top Doctor Who stories ever, but I think it's a nice story to watch every few years just to sit back and enjoy the campness of it.

Time of the Doctor starts off well enough, but it struggles with Moffat trying to wrap up every single plot point from the Eleventh Doctor's era and just becomes one slog of a story which really slows down around the middle. Especially with Clara being sent away by the Doctor, returning, and being sent away again! We're told about the Doctor's battles on Trenzalore rather than actually seeing them.

It's not insultingly bad, it's just disappointing for me. It could have been so much more.
>>
>>63743156
have you watched S2 recently?
>>
>>63743090
I hope so too, but i'm reminded of Dark eyes 2, which had the GOAT eyes of the Master but nothing else really any good.

Still I ended up appreciating dark eyes 2 after 4 with it's circular plotting, so i dunno.
>>
>>63743212
I literally just finished watching it again a day ago.
>>
>>63743230
If nothing else it's great we're getting stories with these characters. And Big Finish still do a classic every now and again.

>>63743180
I enjoyed reading about RTD writing in in The Writer's Tale but didn't like the episode. It's cool you like it though; I love Time of the Doctor which as you say is very messy.
>>
>>63743244
So you'd rather watch

>New Earth
>Tooth and Claw
>Cybermen 2 Parter
>School Reunion
>Army Of Ghosts/Doomsday

over any of the recent stuff? To me those episodes are a low point for NuWho. Were probably never going to agree though.
>>
>>63743348
Yeah, I liked them all, sorry f.am.
>>
>>63743180
I really don't see why does everyone have a problem with Voyage. Or with The Last of Time Lords for that matter.
>>
>>63743306
Am I a cunt if The Writers Tale annoyed me ? I enjoyed getting a more behind the scenes look at the show but everyone seemed to come across rather pompous and annoying.
>>
What would you give to have a 2-parter with Capaldi and McGann next year? Like if you had to sacrifice something for that episode to be made.
>>
>>63743420
No, that's fair enough, RTD isn't for everyone. I adored the book as a look into his mind and the process of writing TV. Even if I didn't watch Doctor Who I'd have liked the book.

RTD is very self-loathing yet also arrogant; it's a pretty common combination and it's not weird to dislike it anon.
>>
File: IMG_20151217_083836.jpg (315 KB, 765x1024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151217_083836.jpg
315 KB, 765x1024
>>63743141
Twitter

it's from the DWM 2016 yearbook apparently
>>
>>63743391
I can't speak for everyone but I dislike LOTTL because.

>Simms Master
>10 is stuck in a cage and in a wheelchair most of the episode
>that retarded ridiculous ending
>>
>>63743441
I would saw off my hand and mail it to BBC. I would even pay postal fee myself.
>>
>>63743490
Questionable imagery aside, I find this ending to be least retarded of all RTD's endings. Which admittedly doesn't say much.
>>
>>63743441
It wasn't just RTD though.
That Benjamin Cook guy felt like such a kiss ass.

>>63743468
Cool. When's it come out? Anymore photos?
>>
>>63743468
Is that the cover for Twelve and Clara's hot new album?
>>
File: IMG_20151217_084925.jpg (526 KB, 1024x1315) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151217_084925.jpg
526 KB, 1024x1315
>>63743604
Out today
https://twitter.com/DWMtweets/status/676725873358303233
>>
>>63743677
fuck that's a sexy capaldi pic
can you purchase DWM digitally online?
>>
File: 1433485966987.webm (1 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1433485966987.webm
1 MB, 640x480
>>63743391
Voyage is more drunken hallucination than episode.
>>
>>63743655
I'd buy it.
https://vine.co/v/i7eI1mme6wH
>>
>>63743427
Id be up for ignoring capaldi altogether to get mcgann on screen.
>>
>>63743858
you take that back right now
>>
>>63743901
>>63743858

McGann and Capaldi are both /who/'s favourite Doctors. There's no need to fight.
>>
>>63743090
Last Christmas remains there as I literally remember nothing about it. When I rewatch, it cold co anywhere, but for now it's exactly where it belongs
>>
>>63743348
>tfw all those episodes are better than most all but one episode in s9
>>
>>63743990
but that's wrong
>>
>>63743427
I'd sacrifice Moffar as showrunner
>>
/who/ else here can't stand Toby Whithouse?
>>
>>63744025
but what if gattis takes over?
>>
>>63744011
You're right, I meant to say
>tfw all those episodes are better than all but one episode in s9

S9 was terrible famalam, check the ratings.

I do feel sorry for Capaldi though
>>
>>63744045

I'd be fine with that, as long as he doesn't write too many episodes. I think I'd be fine with Gatiss' vision for the series.
>>
>>63743990
Heaven Sent is literally the only good episode. Even season 8 had at least three good ones.
>>
>>63740389
Just like how Big Bang Two erased the rest of the prior show at the end of Series 5. And they change reality in every episode m8.
>>
>>63744037
>vampires of venice
>god complex
>under the lake/before the flood

yeah nah
>>
>>63744064
brah you're wrong
S2 is way worse
>>
>>63744070
>I'd be fine with that, as long as he doesn't write too many episodes
>I think I'd be fine with Gatiss' vision for the series
>>
>>63743841
Why isn't there a Peter 'n' Jenna's Happy Wholidays Christmas album? Is it because God hates me? Is that it?
>>
>>63744074
Meant for >>63744011
>>
>>63744116
Even if Heaven Sent was the only good episode those other episodes are still better than S2.
>>
>>63744074
>people actually believe this
HS was above and beyond stellar, but S9 as a whole was pretty up there.

People who dislike it just have to admit the two-parter gimmick didn't gel with them.
>>
>>63744201
I love two-parters, S9 was shit.
>>
>>63744100
Not according the ratings, the only objective measure we have of quality.

S9 sucked bruh.
>>
File: CostanzaCapaldi.jpg (176 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
CostanzaCapaldi.jpg
176 KB, 600x450
>>63744219
>Not according the ratings, the only objective measure we have of quality.
>>
File: 795px-800px-John_Lumic.jpg (67 KB, 795x455) Image search: [Google]
795px-800px-John_Lumic.jpg
67 KB, 795x455
>>63744219
Wouldn't that be the Appreciation Index?
>>
File: big finish lunch.jpg (200 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
big finish lunch.jpg
200 KB, 1024x1024
A picture of the legendary Big Finish lunches.
>>
>>63744146
>>63744201
s9 was awful, people who defend it just have to admit they're defending Capaldi, not the season.
>>
>>63744310
Cool! Where did you get the photo?
>>
>>63744308
No really, a tiny group of hardcore fans will say it's all great but the series will still get cancelled if nobodies watching.
>>
>>63744312
>people who defend it just have to admit they're defending Capaldi, not the season.
>deluding yourself that other people didn't REALLY have fun
>with cartoonishly unrealistic rationalisations
>>
>>63744272
No, the only person who's opinion matters is some anon on 4chan.
>>63744312
I'd agree with this, and I like Capaldi.
>>
>>63744343

Twitter.

I'm not actually Colin Baker shitposting on /who/.
>>
>>63744364
What I'd give to be a fly on the wall during a Big Finish recording session!
>>
File: Pies.png (4 MB, 1920x2160) Image search: [Google]
Pies.png
4 MB, 1920x2160
>>63744310
>No Doritos
>No chicken and bacon sandwiches with mayonnaise

Some legendary lunch.
>>
>>63744355
I refer you once again to the ratings friend, one of us is definitely deluding themselves though.

>>63744364
Lies Pie Lord
>>
>>63744355
Not that guy, but I absolutely believe that people will pick and choose the best parts and disregard the worst in an effort to defend the most recent work of an actor or writer who's previous work they enjoyed. You'd have to be naive to believe otherwise.
>>
>>63744401
doritos are disgusting m8
>>
>>63744401

Doritos are shit tier, my man.
>>
>>63744310
I fucking hate party lunches like that, I don't know why people bother. Just order a fucking takeaway
>>
>>63744432
>>63744433
They are, but they're still better than fucking Walkers.
>>
>>63744401
pringles and fucking proper nachos and dips man, not doritos jesus
>>
>>63744308
The Appreciation Index was pretty low too. The highest it got was 84 for The Witch's Familiar and The Zygon Inversion, when every episode from Smith and Jones to The Beast Below scored at least an 85. Sleep No More was the lowest rated episode since Love and Monsters.
>>
>S9 KEKS BTFO
>MOFFAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH
>>
>>63744418
Maybe the worst really isn't all that bad.

S9 a good
>>
>>63744643
this t.bh
>>
>>63744497
>Arguing audience figures or appreciation on a show that sells so much merchandise and media that it funds itself into worldwide movie theaters

Did you like it? Thats the only opinion that matters at this point of the global franchise. The show is an important part, but when something like Doctor Who gets monstrously large like this it basically won't die even if the show does. Oh and series 2 a shit, but if the show can survive season 22, itll survive 2 and 9.

Can't wait for JJ Abrams alternatw universe reboot though.
>>
>>63744651
No, it was shit. I am literally forcing myself to watch because of a decade of tradition.
>>
File: CWb_4hMXIAANpA8.jpg (125 KB, 600x899) Image search: [Google]
CWb_4hMXIAANpA8.jpg
125 KB, 600x899
>>
>>63744692
autism
>>
File: CWb_4Y5WcAAhtqO.jpg (104 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
CWb_4Y5WcAAhtqO.jpg
104 KB, 600x600
>>
The show has been falling in ratings for 5 years now, unless you accept that the entire Moffat era is shit then it doesn't make sense to cite it as evidence S9 was shit
>>
>>63744692
You should stop anon
>>
>>63744711
I hold out hope that Moffat will fuck off and it will get good again, and I don't want to have to cath up if that happens. It's an hour out of my week for a small portion of the year, I can manage.
>>
File: CWb_4lRWsAEQbhc.jpg (111 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
CWb_4lRWsAEQbhc.jpg
111 KB, 600x600
>>
>>63744064

>check the viewing figures of episodes to deem their quality
I am retarded: the post: the experience
>>
>>63744745
*catch
>>
oh no
ohh nooooooo
>>
>>63744414
>implying anyone on /who/ cares about ratings
Lowest Ratings of Classic Who are Mccoy's run and the last two seasons are generally considered to be pretty good. Highest ratings of NuWho is Voyage and it's shit. Nothing really wrong with thinking S9 is shit but its dumb to constantly point out ratings as the reason why.
>>
>>63744745
>Thinking anyone understands the show better than Moff
>>
>>63744789

Chris-chan likes Doctor Who?

Fuuuck.
>>
>>63744789
oh my god
chris chan is watching doctor who now
jesus christ
>>
>>63744789
I can see exactly how the RTD era appeals to Chris-chan, I wonder what she will make of S5.
>>
>>63744789
Who/Sonichu crossover when?
>>
>>63744818

by the looks of it he's still in the tennant era
I wonder how he'll handle capaldi, or missy for that matter
>>
>>63744847
wait!!! Nobody post that Sonic-Who rap battle
>>
File: bye.gif (396 KB, 265x219) Image search: [Google]
bye.gif
396 KB, 265x219
>>63744789
ITS OVER BOYS
EVERYONE STOP WATCHING DOCTOR WHO
GOODBYE FRIENDS
>>
>>63744789
I hope he gets preemptively banned from conventions.
>>
McGann and Capaldi joint episode when?
>>
>>63744869

He'll assault a Doctor Who Experience worker.
>>
What's the next big audio to look forward to?
>>
>>63744789
Damn you, /who/. Just ignore the autism. It's not hard. Were you the kind of children who kept picking at your scabs?
>>
>>63744912

it's a bit more like touching your willy
you know you shouldn't but it's too enjoyable
>>
>>63744908

The Dairy of River Song.

You should see what she does with the udders.
>>
>>63744736
>thinking the bbc gives a fuck about british ratings while bbc americad numbers continue to grow
>Thinking bbc broadcasts even matter when they make substantially more money off advertising from bbc america during doctor who to the concentrated 18-35 audience that advertisers pay millions to reach plus cable subscriptions
>>
>>63744869
>yfw Chris takes Female Soul inspiration from Missy and starts talking about regeneration
>>
>>63744927
>tfw haven't masturbated or looked at porn in a month

feeling pretty good desu senpaitachi
>>
File: Insulted.png (23 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
Insulted.png
23 KB, 625x626
>>63741237
>>
>>63744952

fuck this sounds way too likely for my liking
>>
>>63744960
>tfw you have never developed enough of a complex over porn/masturbation to the point where it would actually hinder your social life and make you feel you need to quit for your own well-being
>>
File: Martha's crooked teeth.png (3 MB, 7380x4080) Image search: [Google]
Martha's crooked teeth.png
3 MB, 7380x4080
im am back
>>
>>63745044
>>
>>63745044
NO
>>
>>63745039
Well when I started doing it 3 times a day I figured it was time to slow it down a bit.
>>
>>63744665
>AI doesn't matter
>Ratings don't matter
>Only my opinion matters

S9fags believe this
It's the only defence they have for how bad s9 was
>>
>>63745071

depends entirely on whether it gets in the way of real life activities
>>
>>63745059
i am bigtime

big guy for you
>>
File: 1446587853997.png (244 KB, 563x466) Image search: [Google]
1446587853997.png
244 KB, 563x466
>>63745059
But is he Smallfat?
>>
>>63745071
>3 times a day
What a fucking casual. I think I managed 6 a couple of times, but I was very sore after that.
>>
File: wewlads.jpg (50 KB, 429x609) Image search: [Google]
wewlads.jpg
50 KB, 429x609
>>63743468
>that look in their eyes

You just KNOW he licked her feet.
>>
File: jedipaldi.jpg (1 MB, 4600x3062) Image search: [Google]
jedipaldi.jpg
1 MB, 4600x3062
>>
File: 3d_deformed.png (46 KB, 194x202) Image search: [Google]
3d_deformed.png
46 KB, 194x202
it a picture of me in the real life
>>
>>63745102
He'd make a better /who/ alien than most.
>>
>>63745123
great postings

but now you must shop marthas crooked teeth where river mouth is, else not the perfect
>>
>>63745149
please leave
>>
>>63745083
See, but why do ratings matter? Because it makes the channel money that funds doctor who? Except bbc america has posted the highest american viewing figures its ever got for doctor who, and american viewing figures are worth substantially more money than british viewing figures because of advertising rates.

British viewing rates a shit.
>>
File: ifyouknowwhatimean.jpg (120 KB, 432x459) Image search: [Google]
ifyouknowwhatimean.jpg
120 KB, 432x459
>>63745106
i fap all the times a day

when i see the memes i get a boner in my penis and must do ejaculate
>>
the post-ironic era of memeing confuses me
>>
>>63744908
January: River Song Fucks McGann
February: War Doctor Volume 2: Different Writers This Time
March: Doom Coalition 2: River Fucks Paul Again
April: fucking nothing
May: Ten & Donna Adventures, also some UNIT thing
June: Second Doctor Companion Chronicles (the only thing on this list that will actually be good)
July: Classic Doctors, New Monsters, No Carers

Also probably some Torchwood in there somewhere.
>>
>>63744951
>Pulling this whole post out of your ass on one go

Give some evidence to back up what you're saying or just admit you're making it up
>>
>>63745071
Yeah that's overdoing it. I'm surprised if I hit three times a week.
>>
>>63745197
sounds like you don't know where you are ;)

>>63745219
Cheers mate, looks good
>>
File: troughton_shitpost.jpg (133 KB, 773x569) Image search: [Google]
troughton_shitpost.jpg
133 KB, 773x569
>>63745197
im not an post-ironic

i do shitpost because it is the reaction make funny
>>
>>63745185
It's because the opinions of people who didn't actually watch the show are the perfect crutch for my opinion I mean the perfect barometer of its quality, of course.
>>
>>63745185
You literally have no idea what you're talking about. Doctor Who along with all BBC programming is made for the license payer, everyone in the USA could be watching Doctor Who on BBCA and it would still get cancelled if nobody was in the UK
>>
>>63745263
It's pretty absurd to read. Seppos will never, EVER, understand the BBC.
>>
>>63745243

fuck cats your picture actually made me laugh
>>
>>63745185

BBC America means nothing.
>>
>lowest audience
>lowest AI

S9 objectively definitively confirmed worst series
>>
hold on folks

we need to talking about me again, this is the cats twelve general so it is time for us to talk about me
>>
>>63745328
>implying those matter
>>
File: fuck_off_cats.png (421 KB, 452x528) Image search: [Google]
fuck_off_cats.png
421 KB, 452x528
>>63745305
thanks

i am steal it from other anon he make the post with it and i take
>>
>>63745363
>implying they don't
>>
>>63745363
How else do you measure the quality? A fucking Poal.me?
>>
>>63745437

audience count and episode quality are two complately different things that don't correlate with each other

The AI is fairly out of touch, biased and not really reflective of an 'educated' analysis of quality

I would literally trust IMDB more than the AI
>>
>>63745437
http://graphtv.kevinformatics.com/tt0436992
>>
>>63745465

According to this, S9 has the highest average rating out of any series

S9 haters BTFO
>>
>>63745437
>>63745397
I guess that means Strictly Come Dancing and Eastenders are objectively the best things on tv.
>>
File: 1432980922018.png (783 KB, 1296x1186) Image search: [Google]
1432980922018.png
783 KB, 1296x1186
>>63745465

>imdb
>>
File: war.jpg (212 KB, 2229x1254) Image search: [Google]
war.jpg
212 KB, 2229x1254
EVERYONE SHUT THE FUCK UP RIGHT NOW I'M GOING TO BLOW /WHO/ UP.
LEAVE NOW AND SAVE YOURSELFS.
SOME OF YOU ARE GOOD PEOPLE.
>>
>>63745465
>IMDBers
>representative of anyone
>>
File: CWcBbUgWUAALp8b.jpg (79 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
CWcBbUgWUAALp8b.jpg
79 KB, 600x800
>>
File: CWb_zH6WEAAjrw1.jpg (103 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
CWb_zH6WEAAjrw1.jpg
103 KB, 600x800
>>
>>63745465
Jesus famalam, what were you thinking?

>>63745516
On the days when Doctor Who aired I guess they were, by a significant margin when you look at DWs pathetic ratings.
>>
>>63745563
that picture makes me want to masturbate
>>
>>63745580
>DWs pathetic ratings
http://www.barb.co.uk/whats-new/weekly-top-30
>>
>>63745225
http://doctorwhowatch.com/2015/09/22/doctor-who-the-magicians-apprentice-smashes-ratings-record-in-the-us/

>>63745323
>>63745263
>Not understanding how television works

So, first off you need to take a class in marketing, but I'll save you some time and just assume you're too dumb to know this already:

Doctor Who in america isn't a family show, its mainly watched by the most valuable demographic to advertisers, 18-34. With a concentrated figure of 2 million, advertisers will pay up the ass for commercials during it. In america commercials are played during the show instead of at the end and are worth exponentially more because you pay for placement during a program as well. And the best part is, routinely shows that make more money overseas get orders if they're doing well, meaning even if it was doing shit in England, bbc america would probably order more anyways(like amazon did with copper, like cartoon network did with big o, like upn did with star trek). Doesn't even matter, your ratings figures are bullshit.
>>
>>63745563
Good god. Saved.
>>
>>63745628
>not having the first clue what the BBC is and how it works

I won't go so far as to insult your intelligence as I suspect it would go over your head
>>
What are the best death scenes in all of Doctor Who? (Not including regenerations.)
>>
>>63745580
Eastenders has always outperformed Doctor Who since 2005. That doesn't mean it's necessarily a better programme.
>>
>>63745628

The BBC doesn't work like that. Look into the license fee. It serves British license fee payers. It doesn't mean shit if it's popular in America, because none of the money goes back to the BBC. It goes to BBC Worldwide, which does not fund the show. The license fee funds the show.
>>
>>63745628
How can you state bullshit like you know what you're talking about? You do know if you do that off 4chan then you have zero credibility with everyone you know in real life yeah?
>>
>>63745628
You literally don't understand the BBC. Doctor Who is a BBC production. The American rules don't apply here. If the show isn't fulfilling the mandate, it will be axed.
>>
>>63745680
9th Doctor was pretty good.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.