[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>budget $200M >advertising budget $300M What the fuck?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 11
File: Force-Awakens.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Force-Awakens.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>budget $200M
>advertising budget $300M

What the fuck?
>>
Is that unusual?
>>
>>63628048
I don't know. I just thought they had way more than 200 Million to make a star wars movie, seems a little small doesn't it
>>
File: yogurt doll.jpg (86 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
yogurt doll.jpg
86 KB, 400x300
>>63628032
Merchandising!

Where the real money from the movie is made.
>>
More like
>budget $200M
>promotional tie-in publicity $0
>merch revenue and ticket pre-sales $waytoofuckingmuchholyshitwhatisthisworldcomingto
>>
File: COFuIxTUAAA_QB5.png (408 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
COFuIxTUAAA_QB5.png
408 KB, 480x640
>>63628032

Because movies like Star Wars are basically 2 hour long toy commercials. The studio's don't make money from cinemas anymore, they make money by licensing their material to toy makers and taking their percentage of the profit. For fucks sake they've even started trying to sell fruit...
>>
Why the fuck you need to spend so much in advertising a Star Wars movie?

Just throw a trailer on prime time like they did with MNF and throw and that's it
>>
>>63628318
>using a dead character for marketing

literally why
>>
>>63628650
they want to beat titanic
>>
>>63628650
>Why the fuck you need to spend so much in advertising a Star Wars movie?
This. It's like they want to saturate us into disliking it. As if it needs 300 million $$ in marketing to turn into another one of those obnoxious events.
>>
Where the fuck is the source saying it has a $300m advertising budget?

stop making shit up and go lose your virginity
>>
>>63628032
I'd like to see where the biggest slice of that $300M goes to. My guess is China.
>>
>>63630037
I wouldn't be surprised if the actual number was higher than that.
>>
>>63628079

They got cheap actors from Britain and American retirement villages
>>
>>63628318
I want some fucking grapes now but my wife's son is asleep.
>>
why do they even need extensive advertising outside of showing trailers on tv?

it's fucking star wars. people should be paying disney to have that shit plastered on their products.
>>
>>63630409
because plot leaks have made people lose interest
>>
>>63628079
have you seen the footage? it's shot with the same care an artistry as a network TV show.

it's definitely only $200 million because of CGI and having to give the OT actors 10s of millions of dollars.
>>
>>63628318
that actually costs Disney money or every film would do it. they will be paying for all the special packaging themselves. it may even be experimental to see if Star Wars can sell things other than toys, or they could be outright panicking.
>>
>>63628079
200 million seems to be a ghost limit for most AAA films. Anything else is unnecessary, and would carry unfortunate implication for the sequels.
>>
>>63630421
A vast majority of the people who will see it don't know any of the plot leaks. You're kidding yourself.
>>
>>63630007
they may have actually originally thought beating Titanic would be straightforward because of muh Star Wars, but have discovered that actually they need to market the fuck out of this to even stand a chance of recouping their $4.3 billion.
>>
>>63630474
most normies really don't care, you're probably not a real fan anyway
>>
>>63628318
>selling grapes that look like yoda's balls.
Was this the intention?
>>
>>63630345
>but my wife's son is asleep.

Ah, that old chestnut.

Happy trolling.
>>
>>63630504
Nice no true Scotsman. I hope you have a fit of autistic rage when you see all the normies at the premiere.
>>
>>63628048
80-100 million is the norm for the big releases
>>
>>63630429
Yeah its JJs typical cheapo production
>>
>>63630409
>why do they even need extensive advertising outside of showing trailers on tv?

the trailers have themselves made people lose interest

Daisy is not impressive at all and neither are any of the new scenes.

of course when you show classic Star Wars imagery you give people a rush but that mostly only affects hardcore fans.
>>
>>63628650
Regular marketing gets you regular numbers. Look at Hunger Games 2 or Ant Man. Good money earners, but will we remember them? I had to google what films Marvel put out this year side from Avengers. Star Wars now? Every single person I know knows when its coming out and are going to see it. Pre-ordering tickets three months in advance? Ayup.
>>
>>63630454
There is Force Awakens mascara too
And thats not how merchandising works
A company pays a lump sum fee and gets to make shit with your license
You might charge them a high up front fee and then see no further cash, or you might lower it and receive a percentage
Either way they pay you upfront
>>
File: KbiNPmX.png (152 KB, 853x764) Image search: [Google]
KbiNPmX.png
152 KB, 853x764
>>63630530
stay mad fucking casual, I'm watching it tomorrow while you banepost in /tv/
>>
>>63630599
Okay, I hope you enjoy the film.
>>
>>63630566
Yeah man, 70 million plus views on both trailers (and that's just the official release), and the movie had already grossed $50 million in pre-sale tickets as of a month ago. Yup, people really are turned off by the marketing

I'm sure Disney became the largest media empire on the planet by accident and you know better than they do how to sell a product
>>
>>63630578
it has to be a percentage, then. Film-tie-in fruit would have already been a thing, it's not like shame has restrained movie marketing since the 80s. it's a mutual benefit, if produce companies are paying Disney for the rights to advertise Star Wars on something as low-profit as fruit (where the primary cost is logistical) they are idiots. there's no way McDonalds is paying to help advertise every kids movie that comes out via Happy Meal.
>>
File: swty987.jpg (20 KB, 503x300) Image search: [Google]
swty987.jpg
20 KB, 503x300
>>63628111

Not "the real". The film by itself makes a lot of money. The less work demending and easy. It's pure greed and the ugliest thing existing in the movies industry.

At the beginning " goodies" were here to promote the movie and pleased poor children at mc Donald's. It was an honest deal. Now manchild or middle class family have to spend 200$ for a plastic lightsaber without battery included.

Nerds/geeks should not support this.

>pic related. My KFC happy meal 97's souvenir, now they would charge 15$ for each of this shit.
>>
>>63630648
Star Wars has a huge built-in fanbase, no one is disputing that. The question is how large Disney thought the new audience they could reach would be.
>>
>>63628032
Episode 3 only had a $113M budget. This is pricey for a Star Wars film.
>>
>>63628079
Nope. Episode 2 previously had the biggest SW budget at $120M.
>>
>>63628032
With an estimated budget of $200 million ($423 million including marketing, printing and advertising costs, and making and distribution of home videos)

Check your sources, OP.
>>
File: pepe_tired.jpg (6 KB, 250x241) Image search: [Google]
pepe_tired.jpg
6 KB, 250x241
>>63630481
>they need to market the fuck out of this to even stand a chance of recouping their $4.3 billion.

The box office floor of this movie is around $1 billion. The ceiling is probably around $2.5 billion, possibly higher. There's 2 movie movies to come, along with 3 spin offs, not to mention all the fucking shilling merchandise.

They got a fucking bargain for $4 billion.
>>
>>63630523
>>63630523

Top kek. They should market these as "Yoda's nuts-swallow the Force Ā®Ā©ā„¢"
>>
>>63628032

>toy sells $4000000b
>>
>>63630708
I still have the AT-AT, tie fighter tower and droid
>>
>>63630777
If the 7-13 children don't baite it could be the worth thing for Disney, when the parents are more hyped than the kids , it's not good business, they rebel side will reject this cultural product. If nothing as changed of course, i feel that teen become dumber and dumber each generation since WW2.
>>
>>63630697
You overestimate the intelligence of some companies
>>
>>63630830
People are becoming smarter they're just not held to the level of maturity people were back then.
>>
File: 532.jpg (40 KB, 271x233) Image search: [Google]
532.jpg
40 KB, 271x233
>>63630830
This post makes little sense.
>>
>>63630844

They become less culturaly agressive. They eat what's on the table without asking questions.
>>
>>63630856

I did a murder of english grammar. I'm just saying the big challenge for Disney is not to convince 25/40 yo that SW is great but the kids.
>>
>>63630885
I only have anecdotal evidence but my nephews are hyped as fuck for the movie. It does seem like adults are more into it though. I'm sure Disney will adjust and find ways to sell more shit to adults.
>>
Over 65% of the budget of GTA V was advertisement.

It's common practice when you know you're a guaranteed hit.
>>
File: disney.jpg (2 MB, 2000x3000) Image search: [Google]
disney.jpg
2 MB, 2000x3000
>>63628032
I wonder...
>>
>>63630941
anyone know the film in the bottom right of the first half?
>>
>>63628032
Because you'll lose money if people don't believe that your CGI shitfest with generic plot is the next big thing. Everybody is going! And you should too!
You need people to buy the Star Wars Han shot firstĀ® t-shirt for $40, pre-order tickets 6 months early for the mid-night session, post about it on facebook/twitter and buy the Yoda grapesĀ©.
>>
>>63631008
About 95 percent sure it's the black cauldron. Really underrated gem
>>
>>63630833
now I think about it, the Star Wars grapes probably cost twice as much as regular grapes, so the question of where the money is coming from is answerable.
>>
>>63630941
Is there a more based nephew than Roy Disney?

Wouldn't be surprise if Walt didn't fuck his brother's wife. Roy fucking loved the company and fought for it all the damned time.
>>
>>63630777
not having that $4.3 billion will cost them around 7% of the total per year because of the opportunity cost of not having that money to invest elsewhere.

that's $300 million they have to make per year before they start making profits, not counting the cost of the movies and advertizing them. believe it or not Disney did not back a sure thing here.
>>
>>63630524
>reddit formatting
>>
>>63630454
It clearly works. Theyve been doing Disney branded fruits for atleast a year.

>>63630481
They're expected to make 1 billion alone from merchandising this year, another billion from their new Star Wars park, the box office for TFA will be 1 billion minimum, and there are 4 other movies coming. Like the other anon said they got a steal.

>>63630885
Kids seem to be into it. Star Wars toys are everywhere right now and all the kids I know seem to be into it.
>>
>>63631185
I'm definitely committing the error of overestimating the taste of the general public.
>>
>>63631185
>Disney branded fruits for atleast a year.

okay so it's part of a general deal and they are merely promoting Star Wars at the moment.
>>
>>63631244
Monumentally common error here.

You'd think Transformers would have taught everyone here that lesson. They're already pumping out a Ninja Turtles sequel and it's gonna make another fucking mint.
>>
File: Ewok_movies_cover.jpg (57 KB, 300x424) Image search: [Google]
Ewok_movies_cover.jpg
57 KB, 300x424
>>63630777

>Actually thinking the spinoffs are going to sell

This aint MCU m8, no one gives a fuck about R2D2's spin off movie, loving every laugh.
>>
>>63630830
>If the 7-13 children don't baite it could be the worth thing for Disney, when the parents are more hyped than the kids , it's not good business, they rebel side will reject this cultural product.
Kids will watch it if their favorite LP from youtube tell them to.
>>
>>63631287
the merchandising profits are under the radar of people here, even if they buy some of it.

the entertainment industry is actually a tiny percentage of the overall economy, so when an IP can tap into people's willingness to waste money on tat I guess the usual metrics of success go completely out of the window: a $1 billion movie can make more than a $3 billion movie indirectly.
>>
>>63631185

Since you seem to know the numbers, when the Star Wars copyright falls into the Public Domain ? How are they gonna try to outlaw that with their 1000 lawyers ?
>>
>>63628032
You'd think they could come up with better posters for that kind of money.
>>
>>63631367
I'm just tired of anons yelling FLOP every time a movie isn't to their tastes. Plebs give the box office the most money and /tv/ wonders why movies are so commonly plebtier.
>>
>>63631378

Not him but just pay the government to extend it.
>>
>>63630742
It's still the most expensive Star Wars movie but you have to adjust for inflation

In 2015 dollars the 6 movies had a production budget of:

Star Wars: $35.5 million
Empire Strikes back: $50.7 million
Return of the Jedi: $82.5 million
Phantom Menace: $182.5 million
Attack of the Clones: $165.1 million
Revenge of the Sith: $147.1 million

$35.5 million to make the original star wars is mind blowing

Some 2015 movies that cost roughly the same as, or more than $35.5 million:

Black Mass
50 shades of grey
The Walk
Crimson Peak
Bridge of Spies
Creed
Victor Frankenstein
>>
>>63631535
I'm not the anon you're replying.
Movies have inflated budgets nowadays. Pitch Perfect 1 had a budget of 17 million dollars, Pitch Perfect 2 had a budget of $29 million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leverage_%28finance%29
>>
>>63628318
>The studio's don't make money from cinemas anymore

yes they do idiot
>>
>>63628032
Well, you know, with huge progress in CG and all around labor getting cheap(what with globalization and all) making movies is probably cheaper than making a 100000000 000 of posters for the movie all over the world.
I live in Croatia, shitty little country in Europe, its almost as if whole country is just a thin red line on the world map(its so small, but at least we dont have complexes about it) and on every fucking tram station there is poster of SW7, slightly redesigned and in my language.
Now, city I am is not really big but it has at least ~300 tram stations, on each station there is at least 2-3 posters. But, its like , on every billboard, mall, anywhere people put commercials , you see at least 3 light sabers and those faces,every face looks in its own direction.

Anyway, i believe same shit is in every country on the planet so I kinda believe there is a huge amount spent on marketing, but we also need to take into consideration Disney Corp. are wizards in Hollywood Accounting.
>>
Works for video games.
>>
Don't big name earners get like 15-20 millions per movie nowadays?

With Hamil, Fisher and Ford returning, that's at least 45-60 million. Plus Mayhew, Daniels and Baker probably at least 3-5 mil a piece.

Ridley and Boyega are realtive newcomers, so I'm guessing maybe 100K each for this movie alone. Isaac is a bit more established, but has lesser screentime, so I'm guessing 500K as well.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.