[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will this film have the highest domestic gross in American history?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3
File: force awakens poster.jpg (116 KB, 599x888) Image search: [Google]
force awakens poster.jpg
116 KB, 599x888
Will this film have the highest domestic gross in American history?
>>
>>63058234

FUCK OFF
>>
File: 1447231383308.jpg (27 KB, 514x564) Image search: [Google]
1447231383308.jpg
27 KB, 514x564
>>63058234
definitely, 50 million in advance ticket sales? why is this even a question?
>>
>>63058234
as a nerd loyal to Mr. Lucas and a loyal follower of the books, I don't consider this shit canon, and will root for it to bomb HARD.
>>
>>63058285
>loyal to Lucas and the fanfiction tier EU
>>
>70 quadrillionth star wars thread

FUCK OFF
>>
>>63058304
>>63058256
Your tears will never silence the Star Wars threads.

We have entered a new era. 4chan began in 2004, shortly before Revenge of the Sith was released, before /tv/ even existed. The only reason /tv/ wasn't full of Star Wars before was because the canon was considered over with RotS completed. Now that Disney has revived the franchise and we're going to have yearly Star Wars blockbusters, you can expect to see multiple Star Wars threads on /tv/ for as long as /tv/ exists.

Also The Force Awakens will eventually become the biggest meme film in all of /tv/ history (just by being what it is). Will likely even outmeme The Dark Knight Rises, a very big order I know but it is possible.
>>
Yes.
No one even knows why Avatar was a hit, it just sort of happened. Everyone knows about Star Wars now however, which means that it's going to make it higher than Memevatar
>>
>>63058385
No one even remembers the names of any Avatar characters. All anyone remembers is that it was Pocahontas with aliens. The reason why it became a big deal was because it popularized IMAX 3D. No idea why Cameronfags think Avatar 2 and 3 are going to matter to anyone when every single blockbuster is IMAX 3D now.

Not to mention because of IMAX 3D prices, inflation and the fact that the series was unbanned in China for the first time last year means that Force Awakens will definitely be the highest grossing Star Wars film no matter what happens. Way more hype behind it than Jurassic World.
>>
>>63058234
no. Batman v Superman will blow it the fuck out
>>
>>63058489
pffffffff

and now ladies and gents we have the only thing more pathetic than a cameronfag: a capeshitfag.
>>
>>63058234
The question is: what could happen so that it doesn't become it? I can't think of anything. Even if the film is absolute crap by any standards.
>>
>>63058475
I do, Ang, Katara, Appa, Sokka, Prince Zuko...
>>
>>63058234

Yes. It's unfortunately also "hip" to like Star Wars now so all the social media cretins will be all over it.

Will the movie be shit? Beyond a doubt.
>>
>>63058737
The only way is if it's actually worse than Phantom Menace. People who have seen it though say it's closer to A New Hope/Empire Strikes Back tier.

Basically it's better than the prequels, but probably not as amazing (to modern audiences) as the original trilogy. So more than likely, it's going to make a shitton of money.
>>
>>63058234

Its the most anticipated film of all time and powered by the Disney marketing machine,
Also America has a massive Star Wars fan base

The question is not whether its going to be the highest its by how much
>>
>>63058346
Possibly, but it's an irrelevant record anyway. The USA is becoming less and less relevant at the box office as the years go by. Star wars does poorly overseas; only the USA really cares about it. Though it might break the highest-grossing in the US record, it won't come close to Avatar or Titanic worldwide.
>>
>>63058385
It was at the peak hype of the 3D movement. It was a combination of increased ticket prices from this, no other strong movies going on at the time and hype for the visuals.
>>
>>63058892
>Its the most anticipated film of all time

kek

Do the dumb shills that repeat this really expect people to believe it?
>>
It's pretty much guaranteed.

>Star wars does poorly overseas; only the USA really cares about it.

I've always found this odd. What is it about Star Wars that appeals to us that doesn't appeal to foreigners? And why didn't the same thing happen with a lot of our other top-grossing movies (Avatar, Titanic, Jaws, Jurassic Park, etc.)?
>>
>>63058285

Not even Lucas liked the EU, you shit. I just fear what they're going to replace it with is /worse/.
>>
>>63058925

*meant to quote this post: >>63058902
>>
>>63058902
But the main reason is because China banned Star Wars for years, now they've unbanned it and Chinese people are actually really interested in Star Wars.

Really, if they decide to leave Star Wars in the box office for a very long time like Avatar was, it will top out Avatar's box office sales. The only reason it did so well was because it stayed in theaters a long time due to the 3D. Also the prequels sucked ass which killed their ticket sales compared to the original trilogy, each one of those films sold more tickets than episode ii and iii combined, although maybe phantom menace is the exception.

if the new movies are good, people will go out in the millions to see it.

>>63058925
It was the ban over China that affected it a lot. Also Russians don't really see what's wrong with the Empire.
>>
>>63058920

Name a higher anticipated film than this then, if you say The Phantom Menace then your wrong
>>
>>63058925
Star Wars is extremely popular in Australia and I'd say the same for most English speaking countries. Stop pulling shit out of your ass.
>>
>>63058973
>But the main reason is because China banned Star Wars for years, now they've unbanned it and Chinese people are actually really interested in Star Wars.

No it isn't, you retarded faggot. China wasn't even a relevant market when the original trilogy or prequels were released. In 1997, the biggest film of all time, Titanic, was released, and it only made $44m in China, about 2% of its total gross. This is 2 years before the first prequel was released. Stop acting as if China was this huge untapped market when it was completely irrelevant during the release of all prior star wars films.

Face it, star wars films just don't appeal to overseas markets.
>>
>>63058925

There are more Star Wars fans in Europe than in your shitty country you kek
>>
>>63059043
Why do star wars films have such poor overseas gross share then? The prequels made about 50-55% of their gross overseas, which is extremely weak compared to the average of 65% at the time. To compare, Titanic (1997) made 70% of its gross overseas, and Avatar made 73% of its gross overseas in 2009.

The star wars films in general are among the weakest films in the top 100 grossing of all time worldwide in relation to overseas gross percentage. In fact, the original star wars is the worst offender of all time, with only around 40% of its gross coming from overseas markets.
>>
will luke be the antagonist?
>>
>>63059078
Comparing stats from the late 70's to the late 90's/early 00's is fucking stupid. If you think Star Wars is only a thing in the US you're genuinely fucking retarded. What kinda company would pay billions of dollars for a license that is only really popular domestically this day and age?
>>
>>63059118
I'm comparing them to other films of their time. Titanic was made at a similar time to the prequels and made 70% of its gross overseas. Return of the King (2003) made 66.3% of its gross overseas. PotC: Dead Man's Chest (2006) made 60% of its gross overseas. Jurassic Park (1993), 61%. The first Harry Potter movie (2001), 67.4%. Independence Day (1996), 62.5%.

Now let's look at the prequels. Episode 1 (1999), 53.8%. Episode 2 (2002), 52.2%. Episode 3 (2005), 55.2%. Incredibly weak in comparison.
>>
>>63059195
Perhaps because the prequels are fucking dogshit
>>
>>63059214
That would affect all territories, not just overseas. Really, you're reaching now.
>>
>>63059195

Amerilards just have shit taste
>>
>>63059221
But that is what happened. The Phantom Menace broke records because it was the first Star Wars in 16 years, and then people realized it was shit and barely anyone turned out for Episodes II and III in comparison to how many tickets of Empire and RotJ were sold.
>>
>>63059221
see>>63059232
>>
>>63058234
According to >>63058021 it will bomb.
>>
>>63059264
according to me it will be more critically acclaimed than citizen kane and sell more tickets than avatar.
>>
>>63059257
The OT is considered "good" and each films has an even worse overseas gross share than the prequels. Don't try and tell me that it's a product of their time either, because other high-grossing films of that era had much healthier grosses overseas in comparison to their domestic gross.

>>63059252
What does this have to do with their overseas gross being weak?
>>
>>63059288
Citation?
>>
if it doesn't make 5 billion opening weekend /tv/ will consider it the greatest flop since age of ultron
>>
>>63059313
Citation on what?
>>
>>63059320
>because other high-grossing films of that era had much healthier grosses overseas in comparison to their domestic gross.
>>
>>63059288
>The OT is considered "good" and each films has an even worse overseas gross share than the prequels. Don't try and tell me that it's a product of their time either, because other high-grossing films of that era had much healthier grosses overseas in comparison to their domestic gross.
This only shows that between 1977 and 1983 Star Wars wasn't highly popular overseas. Surely, this could have changed in the last 30 years.
>>
>>63059364
You only have to look at the highest grossing films of the year around the late 70s and 80s. Star wars (1997) made 40.5% of its gross overseas, The Empire Strikes Back (1980) made 46% of its gross overseas, and Return of the Jedi (1983) made a shocking 34.9% of its gross overseas.

In comparison, Grease, the highest grossing film of 1978, made 52.2% of its gross overseas. Moonraker, the highest grossing film of 1979, made 66.6% of its gross overseas. I could go on.
>>
>>63059472
I just showed that the prequels, released in the late 1990s and early 2000s, also have weak overseas gross share in comparison to other high-grossings films released around the same time. See >>63059195

I see no reason why this trend won't continue.
>>
>>63059762
See >>63059232
>>
I was considering putting a hefty bet on TFA becoming the highest grossing film of all time

bad idea then? Still gonna do it so far, unless someone has some really compelling reason not too. its just too hyped for it not to, and Avatar and titanic were shit - surely if this is half decent it will beat them
>>
>>63059007
>if you say The Phantom Menace then your wrong
can't argue with that logic
>>
>>63059052

Isn't that a point in Star Wars' favour? The Chinese market has increased substantially since 1997, and it's precisely why in 2015 a Star Wars film would beat Titanic from 1997.
>>
File: 1390722997982.gif (29 KB, 149x200) Image search: [Google]
1390722997982.gif
29 KB, 149x200
>>63058234
>making threads about how much millions the jews will make
>>
>>63059825
>surely if this is half decent it will beat them
>directed by JJ Abrams
>half decent

No. Did you never watch what he did to Star Trek?

You should definitely place that bet though
>>
>>63059962

All this film has to do is follow a three-act dramatic structure, have easily identifiable characters, and not be about boring political crap. Everything else is irrelevant.

And wow, that's exactly what JJ's Star Trek did. It wasn't a good movie but it worked for mass market appeal.
>>
>>63058285
> loool i'm such a nerd xD ;P rofl
>>
>>63059900
Except star wars has never made as much overseas as titanic did outside of the China market
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.