[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think travel insurance is necessary? Why or why not? For
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5
Do you think travel insurance is necessary? Why or why not? For those of you who purchase it on the regular, on what occasions have you had to make use of it? Who purchases it regularly and has yet to file a claim?

And lastly, based on your experience, would you say the majority of travelers you meet are insured?

Feel free to respond in a free format and without one-by-one greentext answers. Just curious.

>pic related: "he bought travel insurance!"
>please not that the picture and accompanying caption do not necessarily represent the views of the author
>>
>>1049383
I think travel-medical insurance is necessary. I buy it every time I travel and haven't had to use it yet. However if were to get sick or have an accident abroad I don't want to be paying $400,000 out of my own pocket to cover those expenses. We've all seen those astronomical medical bills from the US but many people don't know that in other countries the costs are actually similar to those it's just that medical care is free for their citizens. In Canada for example if an American was to end up in a hospital without insurance they'd be paying huge fees as well. There was a news story of a girl going to Mexico and in some accident sustained severe head trauma. Her bill was something like $80,000 to get her back home plus cover cost of hospital. Her friends were doing fundraising to collect money for her.

You can get cheap travel-medical, something like $400 a year that can even include a flight back to your home country in case you get stuck in a hospital abroad.

Other travel related insurances are up to you. I never get them. For things like lost luggage or flight cancellation, I wouldn't really bother unless you're flying with something of value that you have to check in instead of keeping with you in the airplane.
>>
Had two major claims in my life, both when I was younger and more risk adverse. Needless to say, I could spend $200 a year for the rest of my life on travel insurance and still not get close to the insurance bill for either one the bills.

One coma and one mountain rescue makes me think travel insurance is definitely worth it.
>>
Depends on your sort of travel I guess.

I never bought one since I always just traveled in cities or towns at worst and never in a situation where I considered really hurting myself (hiking, mountain climbing, extreme sports etc.)
>>
>>1049385

Just out of curiosity, but is there any consequence for refusing to pay a medical bill in a foreign country?
>>
>>1049409
I've kind of wondered about this, too. I know in the US if you present the hospital with false documents or fake your address and contact info and get out, they just eat the cost. That helps increase treatment cost overall for everyone, though, so it's part of the larger healthcare cost problem. But if you have your passport on you, they have your info as is, so I'm not sure it's that easy.

Or just do activities where you will likely die if something fails, like skydiving? Go hard or go home.
>>
>>1049425

I mean, is there any way that a foreign business or hospital can collect on a debt? Would being indebted to a hospital overseas adversely affect your credit or anything else?
>>
>>1049428
In the USA it is pretty easy to run up $10-$100's of thousands of dollars if you get seriously injured. If they know who you are and it is for enough money they could potentially take you to court in your home country?
>>
Friendly reminder that insurance companies want to make money and don't really care about you.

Read those Terms & Conditions carefully. Chances are that any activity that you could likely get injured in will most likely be exempt. Things like bicycling, motorbiking, mountain hiking, rock climbing, kayaking etc. will most likely be exempt. Some companies even just list unspecified "dangerous activities" so they can claim an exemption for anything else than walking and taking pictures.

Another thing is that they tend to put you on the cheapest ticket home once your cost spirals into certain heights, where then your national insurance will have to cover you. Say you break a finger abroad - it sucks, but nothing that stops you from traveling. The medical bill is more expensive than a flight home however, so guess what your insurance company rather pays for?
>>
>>1049385
I agree pretty much entirely with this. It's true that sometimes people overestimate the cost of basic-moderate level care overseas and there is a bit of a scare campaign run by travel insurance companies. However if you are seriously injured requiring a high standard of care they can reach astronomical levels totally beyond most people's ability to pay.

>>1049453
Also has a good point, often the more risky activities are not covered. Last time I was shopping around I found that motorbike riding was the one thing that nearly all providers didn't cover. Pretty understandable given how many tourist get hurt doing that.

So my view is that yes you should get travel insurance in the vast majority of situations, just make sure you read the terms and conditions carefully.
>>
>>1049459
Lol if they wont even cover you on a motorbike or rockclimbing, there isliteeally no point other than to throw money away.

Oh i broke my finger or got the flu, good thing i got travel insurance...

Get the fuck out of here hahahahaha
>>
One thing that's worth remembering is that in most countries they'll just automatically take you to a private hospital if you're a tourist. If you're unconscious there's not a lot you can do about it.

I'm from the UK and luckily our travel insurance is very reasonable. My annual plan is incredibly comprehensive because I'm self-employed, so I have loss of earnings to consider. Only costs £180 a year with all my equipment covered. That covers me anywhere in the world, other than countries the foreign office advises against currently travelling to.

One thing I almost got caught out on once is that all travel insurance is void if drugs or alcohol were partly responsible (if you're drunk in a taxi that crashes you're covered, but if you get hit by a taxi walking in the street and you're drunk, you might not be).
>>
I wouldn't say it's necessary, but if you're traveling to relax, it can be hard to if you're uninsured. Kind of depends where you come from. Canada has a single payer system. If an American is already uninsured at home, why would they be insured abroad?

My credit card claims to give the first 2 weeks of medical insurance when outside the country.

>when I'm 15 go to soccer tournament in California
>get really sick from something
>spend 12 hours puking in a cold sweat
>sit in hotel drinking room temp gatorade and flat ginger ale
>get better after losing 10 pounds in 24 hours
>other teammate gets same symptoms
>goes to hospital
>spends 10 hours on a IV
>gets billed 15k for it
>her parents didn't have insurance
>>
Worth it. Some things you can't foresee, like various infections and diseases and depending on the country you're visiting, the quality of your care can vary greatly depending on your insurance.

I got myocarditis and pericarditis while in rural Malaysia, and once we got hold of the insurance company they sent me an ambulance with medical staff from KL (5hr drive) to take me to Singapore (another 5hr) and made sure I got to the intensive care at a high quality hospital. And the 25 000 USD bill from the hospital was already payed upon my checkout.
>>
>>1049453
>>1049459
>>1049469
>motorbiking
This is true but most countries require you to purchase motorcycle insurance which covers injuries sustained while riding the bike. I just got my license this year and I took a safety course where the instructor was a guy who has traveled through half of the US and parts of northern Mexico on his bike (I live in Canada). He said that if you don't have travel-medical and you get injured while not actually riding the bike, the best thing someone can do for you is take your bike and drop it on you...

Having said that, I agree that you should have a look at the insurance agreements to see what is and what isn't covered. Most x-type sports are not covered and you need to buy extra insurance however things like bicycle riding usually always is covered.

>>1049453
>cheapest ticket
Insurance companies will not put you directly on a flight if you're sick or injured before you have been treated at a local hospital. They usually only do this at the request of the patient or if they realize the cost of treatment will be more than what the individual is insured for. This is why you need to make sure how much you're insured for, $1m is standard but if you're going to the US I would suggest getting $5m insurance cause if you have some serious injury where you require many operations those can add up to more than $1m.

>>1049428
There have been cases where people were not let out of hospitals until their bills were paid. Usually in developing countries and especially if the costs ran up pretty high. In western countries it's likely you'd be facing criminal charges if you tried to return but otherwise I don't know if much can be done against you.
>>
>>1049383
I often think about it but never actually bother. It is a great hassle, but my medical insurance will reimburse for a lot of expenses incurred abroad, and medical care is pretty cheap nearly everywhere I go anyhow. The only times I've been specially insured have been when traveling for work to sketchy places--I had emergency evacuation coverage in Afghanistan and a K&R plan in Colombia. Didn't use either, perhaps obviously.
>>
>>1049548
Which insurance company?
>>
>>1049469
baka
>>
Well it's clearly one of the things worth putting money in. It's not that expensive when you really think about it.

Now there are bigger issues, like being taken to a hospital in case of a problem. Many people died alone in agony because no one took them to the hospital, let alone helped them. Also whether or not you're robbed on the way, which cost aside, could remove you of any document justifying your identity, thus your right to insurance. And then there's the quality of care provided. I still remember that day I got bitten by a nasty mosquito that gave me malaria, thank god I had treatment in time, injected with a syringe that had been used on every patient of this hospital in this AIDS-sponsored country. Since that time I realized packing a couple syringes and needles was good insurance too. And then there's whether the insurance will pay or not, because certainly many won't pay for all kinds of retarded injuries that are the result of your own recklessness.

An insurance only serves a purpose if you're being careful, and don't stray too far from common paths alone.
>>
>>1049622
I'm both white and from Sweden - there's so much privilege in me that I don't need extra insurance if I'm travelling less than 45 days abroad in most countries.

All Swedes must have a so called " Home insurance" which covers most things. If you're going away for an extended period of time, you have to purchase extra insurance.
>>
IDK anon, I'm covered but I'm considering not renewing

foreign hospitals in many countries are renowned for taking advantage of tourists, they often just assume you're insured and give you the best of everything to make money off your insurance company

the very existence of the companies proves the average customer looses

also companies are renowned for not actually re-embursing, the policies are three pages long, and there are so many pitfalls in them
eg. they don't have to prove the alcohol actually caused an accident or injury, so if something bad happens to you pray you didn't happen to be drinking at the time
eg. doesn't count if you were breaking the law at the time, there is no exemption for mens rea, so if you get bitten by a dog while walking through a field, you are trespassing even if you didn't know it and the insurance won't cover it
eg. you are undertaking a "dangerous activity" this is totally open to interpretation, things locals consider safe back in your insurance office they might not
eg. contributory risk, you were robbed "why were you out at night" "why didn't you take a cab" "why were you carrying so much money"
eg. not covering other peoples property, borrowed a surf board and it was stolen, they won't cover it

you also can loose a lot of flexibility with treatment if you actually need it, you might want to cross a border to where your treatment is free, or stay where you are where it is cheaper, or wait a week so you can finish your trip etc

I would only get it if you didn't have enough savings to cover a serious injury, and your family wouldn't lend you the money, if you travel with expensive gear

also combined policies are often poor value, because they cover you for things you don't need, and for amounts you will never claim

excesses will hurt you, everyone with a policy will probably not be able to claim the only thing that gets stolen because it's not worth enough
>>
I am in SEA and have never had to use my travel insurance. I get a cheap one through Globelink for a bit less than 100 euro for 100 days. I'd pay that for repatriation alone. I would not want to ruin my entire family if I, inshallah, would require medical transport back to Yurop.
>>
>>1049383

depends where youre going

going to a tourist trap surrounded by people from your country? dont bother

going to the chinese countryside with a backpack and a small first aid kit? get fucking insured

its better to have it and not needs it, than need it and not have it
>>
If my own medical insurance covers foreign travel is travel insurance worth it?
>>
>>1049383
I wouldn't step foot on a cruise ship without travel insurance. It's far too easy to be put off a boat with the flu, and have to find your immediate overpriced airfare home and/or hotel and medical expenses at top dollar. Talking about a $3-4k at best, or a 10k or more expense to get home fast. Get sick and not be in port, you will be airlifted by air ambulance at $40k to get home. If you book through some online agencies, you can get insurance with your ticket for $70 or something, and after the trip? if you didn't use it? They can refund it. Not a single reason not to book online with a travel agency that does that.

Depending where I go, is if I buy supplemental medical insurance for myself when traveling. Again, has to do with costs if i have interrupted travel, or need to get home fast. Add up a first class ticket in your mind, with no notice, and see if you think you want to dish that out of your own personal savings in order to save under $200. If the whole trip is 7k or something, what's $200? Nothing. For things like luggage replacement, credit cards can add replacement costs with perks.I can easily have a couple thousand dollars in belongings in a checked bag when you add up the shoes, the undergarments, the labels, the winter jacket and other costs. It simply adds up. Of course, really valuable stuff is in my carryon not checked, but a long trip adds up. And most people don't know you need receipts for recently purchased items inside with the airline geneva convention coverage.
>>
>>1050467
depends anon, if your policy covers local treatment and/or medical transport

if your gear is expensive, and you are likely to loose/damage/halve it stolen

and if your travel plan would be ruined by a canceled flight etc
keep in mind the places where you stay might charge penalty rates for late bookings in hotels etc
on the other hand, most airlines have some sort of cover

my gear is mostly bartered for/milsurp, so I don't bother
>>
>>1050550
>and if your travel plan would be ruined by a canceled flight etc
Such as a tour or package that starts Day 1 and you miss the beginning of it. Or a hotel that gives away your room even though you called and said you'll be checking in late.

And, yes, depends on your gear.
>>
>>1050516

tl;dr pussy: the post
>>
>>1050659
There's always going to be this guy. The person with zero prospects in life such that protecting future income is no big deal, nor would anyone mind if they died.
>>
File: 1436056015055.jpg (547 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1436056015055.jpg
547 KB, 1920x1080
Which plans are you guys for an entire year of travel abroad? All the quotes I'm getting are for $2500-$6000 for a year in southeast asia...

Ive read a couple places that you can find good plans for $400 a year. I have yet to find where these great deals exist
>>
>>1049383
Most definitely.
Picked up an infection in my leg from a coral cut in Thailand. Needed hospitalisation for 9 days with IV antibiotics. Bill came to $11k USD, yes, that much! The antibiotics they were giving me cost $300 USD per dose, three times a day for 9 days.
Insurance covered everything. I don't travel without it
>>
>>1050467 this is me.
I just bought travel insurance that was offered when I bought my plane ticket. It was only about $80, and since my ticket was already over $100 cheaper than I thought it would be I figured what the hell. Plus I have 10 days to cancel. Insurance us through Allianz. Offered by Delta. Traveling to Bahrain. I have my own medical insurance through the US military and there is also US Navy medical clinic. Insurance covers lost and delayed baggage as such as well. Worth it?
>>
>>1049383
>Do you think travel insurance is necessary
No, not necessary but sometimes worth it.

Over the years, I've probably spent about $3k on travel insurance.

I've claimed for a damaged laptop in one claim and and lost glasses and something I can't remember in another. I could probably have claimed for a few more things but the amounts were too small to be bothered with the paperwork. If I cared less about my time or more about money or just liked paperwork, I guess I would have.

I'm behind on insurance vs payout but not by that much and if I ever have something serious happen to me, I'll be glad of it.

I have a friend who never travels without insurance and never fails to find a claim to make. Stolen cameras, rescheduled flights, there's always something he finds or forges. He's a sociopath who tries to win at everything in life and usually succeeds. Maybe one day he'll have trouble getting insurance but he's been doing it for years and hasn't had any trouble yet. His gf is the same and she has family in Europe who help out, one is a chief of police or something and their trip back to her home had police reports of stolen property and all sorts of shit.
>>
I feel like being a grammar nazi. Nothing personal.

>>1049387
>risk adverse
That's the opposite of what you mean and it's the wrong word too.

Adverse means something that has a bad effect on you, which I guess is true in this context but probably not what you meant. The grammar would be wrong anyway, we say that something has an adverse effect on us.

"Risk averse" is the usual expression but is the opposite of your meaning. It means that you turn away from risk.

Maybe you meant: "when I was younger and less risk averse".
>>
>>1050721
https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-insurance/
>>
>>1049383
When traveling in the US, the distinction between "emergency" and needed care runs a fine line. So, all E.R.s must treat you upon arrival but if you are able to speak, you're able to discuss your payment too. Before being wheeled into a surgery to oh,set your two arm bones back together with plates and screws, you are now not so critical to the point you're going to die, and your copay will settled before you are wheeled into surgery. This means an upfront check. They verify ID and funds. This is the computer age, you know.

What if you are broke? They will call you a private ambulance, which will pause long enough to get out their clipboards and iPads and discuss payment with you, run your credit card, before transport, and then you'll be shipped to the nearest medical center that takes indigent/state paid patients. You might get a new surgeon the next morning, who will discuss the surgery with you and then you start over again on the payment process. And now, good luck boarding a flight home with that kind of injury. No captain if he is aware a person is sick will want you to pass out midflight causing some emergency landing situation. They're not going to bother. You'll be denied boarding not treated like a poor special snowflake.

That's how it works for people who don't want to pay. And, when something is seriously wrong with you, those are the hospitals that you don't get that best guy in town for such and such, and the wait? Well, it's triage to the best of their abilities.
>>
File: DSC00209.jpg (1 MB, 6000x4000) Image search: [Google]
DSC00209.jpg
1 MB, 6000x4000
So what are some of the best deals?? I've received quotes from AAA (cause I have an account).. they were really high, a couple of other insurers seemed pretty high, one time I booked a trip through Intrepid and they offered a discounted plan with the booking rate.. though your paying tour rates fr the trip to begin with.. if you're thinking of spending a year or so packing any recommendations?? I also looked into just plain ol' life insurance. like one of those 1Mil that covers you for the trip only. couldn't seem to find anyplace, everyone I contacted wanted to sign me up for term life insurance for 30 years...
>>
>>1051628
Can I get an answer?
>>
>>1051628
The packages offered by airlines or (more likely) travel agents selling airline tickets are usually dog-shit. Bad value and lots of exemptions.
Check those T&Cs carefully and compare with others.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-18-10-23-06.jpg (970 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-18-10-23-06.jpg
970 KB, 1440x2560
>>1051913
I have to dig into the details but here's the overview
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-18-10-24-45.jpg (1 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-18-10-24-45.jpg
1 MB, 1440x2560
>>1051918
It was offered by Delta when I bought my plane ticket, direct through them. No travel agent
>>
New Zealand has an accident insurance even for foreigners visiting the country. Would you guys recommend getting an extra travel insurance in case of sickness for visiting that country?
>>
>>1051918
>>1051921
>>1051628
>>1050467
Thoughts?
>>
>>1049383
hi
>>
>>1051921
>>1051918
I can still get this refunded. Worth keeping?
>>
so still now opinions/experiences with Allianz travel insurance?
>>
Y'all some bitches
>>
>>1049383
Friend got seizures in South Africa;

22 year old, never had a condition or problem in his life.

Hits the deck and has 2 seizures then has another. So hes epileptic now.

Bet hes glad he had travel insurance.

Back in australia he had treatments and checks and nothing wrong could be
found either. Out of the blue in South Africa, you would be so fucked without it.
>>
>>1052470
The dental insurance is a joke. There's nothing you can have done that is under $500 that you'd do for "emergency" dental work. But insurance demands that 'usual and customary" expenses fit such that medical emergencies can't be overcharged, so that part is good.

I wouldn't say this is a great plan, but it's not bad. The amounts covered for baggage and interruption insurance is laughable. I mean I have shoes that costs more than $200, and that's the only supplement to luggage delay? And trip cancellation protection of 1222 isn't going to cover much, nor will the delay coverage, of only $200, you'd spend that on a hotel and dinner, and a second taxi ride if you got stranded at JFK, wouldn't you?

Is it worth it? Depends what you paid where you're going, if you will be within your own medical plan coverage, have savings to cover emergencies, etc.
>>
>>1055714
A little late , I am in the middle of my flights. The $1222 is the cost of the ticket. So it's basically saying I'd get my ticket refunded. I didn't book my room through Delta/Allianz or whatever.
>>
>>1055719
just curious, how much was it?
>>
>>1053472
Me (and my parents) have used that since I was a kid, as it was a good deal with their bank accounts back then, and it's an okay deal with my plane tickets now.

Within the EU I don't do insurance, my regular health insurance would cover most of the medical bills anyway.
I do get a comprehensive medical, and a bit less comprehensive flight/baggage insurance whenever going outside of the EU.
My parents are mostly on the winning side of the insurance deals, I don't think I've claimed anything yet.
>>
>>1055713
>shill detected
>>
>>1055723
$76
>>
>>1055826
Well shit dude, it happened. Thought he
had brain cancer or something fucked like
that. What would happen in south africa
if you wanted a ct scan or something?
>>
>>1049383
See: >>1056024
>>
>>1050721

>travel insurance
>South East Asia

Oh my God. Wow, you are going to pay 6000 USD to be safe in the safest region on earth? Live a little. Jezus, is this board inhabited by 60 year olds nowadays? Fuck insurance, the risk of something happening that will cost you so much money that you'd actually need it is about 0,04%. I traveled for months throughout all of Asia, Africa and the Middle East without insurance and I wasn't on malaria meds either. Stop giving away your money, you fear riddled sheep.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.