[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Japan General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
File: Film3334_06.jpg (3 MB, 3089x2048) Image search: [Google]
Film3334_06.jpg
3 MB, 3089x2048
New Japan General:

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your wee fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/

*Note about the JR Rail Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1096431
>>
最初
>>
>>1099327
hey OP.
I'm traveling to tokyo in a few weeks , are there any tips or things i should visit ?
sincerely yours newfag
>>
I'll be in Japan from the 11th until the 21st, anyone wanna meet? I play vidjo games and watch chinese cartoons a lot. Just send me an email here [email protected]
>>
>>1099342
I can recommend shibuya crossing
>>
>>1099342
That's like asking if there's anything you'd recommend buying on Amazon.

Shit dude, give us your interests and budget! Tokyo is massive with more than you could ever hope to do in a year!
>>
File: 26228601835_6d8b6391e6_k.jpg (892 KB, 1827x2048) Image search: [Google]
26228601835_6d8b6391e6_k.jpg
892 KB, 1827x2048
Going by myself this may to Tokyo mostly.
Anyone wanna hang out, I'd love to go see M83 play their gig on 26th
Not into animu, into photography .
>>
How do I go to Japan and marry a qt Japanese boy?
>>
>>1099406

i don't think gay marriage is a thing there
>>
>>1099390
i have a fairly high budget i can spend. i would like to go shopping , see the cherry blossom , some people spotting, visit temples. Do you know any cool places to visit ? :3
>>
>>1099407
Oh you.

tfw no Japanese husband
>>
What are some good websites for tourist information and recommendations?

I've been using lonely traveler and japan-guide so far.
>>
so basically, japan isn't a good country?
>>
Any japan residents here?

I'm flying to Tokyo tomorrow and have lots of manga and games that I want to sell at, say, BookOff. Since I'll only be staying in Hotels, can I sell it?

Or do I need a resident visa?
>>
>>1099409
Well shit, the cherry blossoms are blooming RIGHT NOW in northern Japan. If you're leaving next week or 2 you might be able to catch the very end of the season in Hokkaido.

Shopping is also a pretty broad spectrum of choices. What kind of shopping? High end brands? Cheap young people clothes? College kid trendy second hand stores? Expensive boutiques?

As far as temples, there's not a lot in Tokyo other than Senso-ji, Yasukuni, and Meiji-Jingu.

You could hop on the train to Takao (about 500 yen, 1 hour ride) and climb Takao-san for a look at a pretty old temple up there (the climb is only like 30 minutes, pretty short and easy). It worships the Tengu, crow demons, one of the oldest gods in Japan. I believe it's a leftover from the animist mountain religions Japanese people had before the arrival of Shintoism and Buddhism later. To clarify, the temple was built for Buddhism, but the origins of the crow demons are older than that. That temple also performs a fire ritual everyday called a "goma".

People spotting, you'd probably want to do that in Harajuku (also convenient for shopping) around the Harajuku bridge, Sundays is the best time for that because many performers show up, including the famous greasers/rockabillies/elvis aficionados/whatever who dance in the park every Sunday, rain or shine, for the last however many years, it's been decades at least.

People in Tokyo like to go on mini-vacations to Odaiba, which is an artificial island built around old gun-emplacements in Tokyo bay. It's easy to get there and there's lots to do there. The shopping malls with themed floors are cool to check out.

Like I said, Tokyo is so dense with stuff that you need to be more specific with the things you want to see because there's more cool stuff to do than you could actually ever do.
>>
>>1099420
This is probably the best site: >>1099327
>>
>>1099425
I'm not 100% sure so don't quote me on this, but I don't see a reason why you shouldn't be able to sell stuff at BookOff desu
>>
Budgeting for my trip. On average, how does the following sound for a day in Tokyo? Too much or too little per day?
Accommodation: booked
Transportation: ¥1000
Food: ¥4000
Admission/tourist sights/misc: ¥3000
>>
>>1099481
>Admission/tourist sights/misc: ¥3000
This will vary wildly depending on where you go
>>
I plan to travel to Japan at the end of summer for about a month. If I happen to save much more money than my goal; then how long exactly would it be worth staying in Japan past 1 month?

Would you guys go with more than one JRP, stay in one area for a prolonged period or visit a near by country?

WWOOF for 2-3 weeks perhaps?

Are there any decent sample itineraries for 2+ months?

I will google-fu in the mean time.
>>
File: mad-men-season-7b.jpg (33 KB, 635x423) Image search: [Google]
mad-men-season-7b.jpg
33 KB, 635x423
How do I join the Yakuza? What will daily life be like? What if i'm asian? What if I'm white?

I have a cool motorcycle.
>>
Is it okay to go if your black?

Genuinely interested
>>
>>1099481
Food and transportation sounds about right if you're staying inside Tokyo.

If your budget is too tight for your liking, you could eat for less, but if you want to be comfortable and try lots of stuff then 4k is pretty good.

Like the other anon said, your admission budget really depends on where you want to go. I would just research the admission prices of the places I want to go online and then add it all together and see if I can afford it with average food and transportation taken out of the budget.
>>
>>1099495
I would stay in Japan, lots and lots and lots to do.

I would also slow the trip down and extend your time in each place. So if you originally planned a month and you have enough for 2 months, extend your stay in all the big places like Tokyo to double. their original lengths. Some places like Nara or Kyoto you can pretty much do and be done with them, staying longer isn't really worth it, in my opinion.

You could go up to Hokkaido or check out Nagano or Shikoku or I don't know, lots of options.
>>
File: BlackGuyInJapan.png (186 KB, 720x400) Image search: [Google]
BlackGuyInJapan.png
186 KB, 720x400
>>1099509
Yes... why wouldn't it be?
>>
>>1099513
>>1099491
Thank you both for your insight.
>>
Do you guys know of any reliable taxi services from Narita Airport into Tokyo?

A family friend was suppose to pick up one of my friends from the airport, but can't make it literally last fucking minute. It's my friend's first time in Japan, she doesn't speak the language, and is bringing 3 luggage bags with stuff for my said family friend, so she doesn't feel comfortable trying to figure out the subway system with all that luggage.
>>
>>1099532
Take the airport bus or the Narita express, a taxi is gonna run her hundreds of dollars depending on where she's going.
>>
>>1099534
Adding on to this, when she gets there just mail all the luggage to the friend's house and then figure out the train system. Taxi is the absolute last resort.
>>
It's true it's very easy for a white guy to get laid in Japan; if you're around 6ft, skinnyfat or better then just download Tinder start liking and let the flood of matches begin and choose which one to do first
>>
My G.F is going to jp with this program for a month. if she needs to get there at 6 A.M jul2 jp time what time should she leave the u.s. she said the flight is 20 hrs and that it stops in canada first then to cali then jp via air canada express
>>
>>1099532
You don't want a taxi from Narita to Tokyo, that shit will be EXPENSIVE.

Just take the train or a shuttle bus. The train is faster and not that expensive, like $30 to go all the way to Shinjuku.

The subway system is seriously so easy to figure out. Everything is in English, it's all clearly marked, she can ask anyone in Narita how to do it and they'll help her. It's seriously easy. My ex-gf is not someone who travels ever and she doesn't speak a word of Japanese (she barely knows Japan and China are different countries, typical ignant murican) and she managed to do it fine when she came to visit me in Japan.
>>
>>1099571
Is this an SAT question? Like if two trains leave at so and so time, when will they meet?

Her departure time is printed on her plane tickets.
>>
>>1099578
yeah she wanted to know when to book and the site she's using isnt being very straight forward. i was gonna say just go a day earlier and stay the night at a hotel to make life easier but the question still kinda bothered me. i sat here doing math and came up with 8pm on jun 30 to get there at 4am jul2.
>>
>>1099581
Well that all depends on how long the layover in Canada is, it could be as little as half an hour or as much as 6 hours. The flight from Canada (assuming VC) is about 10 hours.
>>
>>1099536
Anon is right, you can mail your luggage from Narita airport. It costs about 2000 yen per suitcase which could be steep, but if she goes with the airport limousine there's always plenty of luggage space and I'm pretty sure you can take on two pieces under 30 kg each. The 3000 something yen cost of a ticket + 2000Y to send your luggage still works out way cheaper than spending 15000Y or so on a taxi.
>>
>>1099406
How about someone who looks Japanese, have a Japanese name but still don't have Japanese Citizenship? Close enough?
>>
>>1099615
>Not born in Japan
>Not raised in Japan

Not Japanese. You're American/Canadian/British/whatever.
>>
File: christ-chan-7.png (98 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
christ-chan-7.png
98 KB, 400x400
Why do you want to go to Nihon?
>>
File: NambaPano.jpg (827 KB, 2000x1086) Image search: [Google]
NambaPano.jpg
827 KB, 2000x1086
Hey guys, anyone in Osaka want to meet up? I'll be here for another week.
>>
Anyone else currently in tokyo? Hit me up with a message in whats app (+358408400660) so ill add you to our Tokyo Badboys group. We already have 4 members. We are planning a karaoke for the weekend or something similar. We dont bite (unless u like it).
>>
so, looks like it's hard to find a prositute who will let you fuck them, its all condom oral?

just going by the links in the OP. unless there are other ones out there

I just want to eat out a jap girl
>>
>>1099679
funny you mention that, i was curious about lady boys?
>>
>>1099679
>so, looks like it's hard to find a prositute who will let you fuck them, its all condom oral?
>just going by the links in the OP. unless there are other ones out there
>I just want to eat out a jap girl
There's plenty of street hookers too if thats your thing.
>>
>>1099411
I could literally beat every single one of them up, feels good
>>
>>1099691
That's pretty petty, anon.

Also, absolutely no one gives a shit.
>>
>>1099669
Im in osaka in sunday
>>
I just received a confirmation voucher for the Ghibli Museum (Supposed to exchange it for a ticket at the door), but the voucher refers to me as a MR. instead of MS.
So to those of you who have been there, will this matter? I know you're supposed to present your passport, so I'm unsure if this is bad or if I can just ignore it. - All other information on the voucher is correct.
The receipt shows that I put in MS. which means the error isn't on me, so I should be able to correct it if it's a big deal.
>>
>>1099691
Literally nobody believes you.
>>
>>1099772
I'm pretty sure it won't matter at all.

It's a fantastic museum though, I think the best one I've ever been to. Even if you're not much of a fan of Ghibli movies or you don't really know the work, the experience is fucking great. Everything is curated to give you the feeling of being in some other whimsical world. Even at the cafe in the museum everything is aimed to keep that worldview alive. I remember there was a blue soda drink with a scoop of vanilla ice cream in it and it was named something like, "full moon over a blue summer sky". Even in Disneyland, famous for micromanaging details of the experience, their menus are just normal names like, Coke, burgers, waffles, etc.

Anyway, enjoy. Make sure to catch the special short movie they show there. They have 12 movies that rotate once a month and cannot be seen anywhere outside the museum. Usually the short film is tied to the month it is playing, so a summer month movie will be about someone doing summer stuff, a winter month movie might be about Christmas or the snow or something like that. Also, you get to keep the ticket which is 3 16mm film cells from a Ghibli movie in a cardboard holder, really neat souvenir.
>>
>>1099740
He's lying and an idiot if you hadn't noticed his use of "nignog"
>>
>>1099687
sure, idc
>>
Are most wards of Tokyo big enough to spend an entire day in? I'm assuming that the bigger ones like Shibuya and Shinjuku would likely be big enough but what about Taito or Chuuou?
>>
>>1099833
Why do you want to visit every ward?

Shibuya and Shinjuku have enough for a god damn month

Taito has the National Museum of Science as well as the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum. It's also got Senso-ji.

Chuo has Tsukiji fish market, Ginza, and Nihonbashi.

So yes, there's stuff to do that will probably fill up a whole day in every ward in Tokyo, but I'd just go by what you want to see rather than try and fit in something in every ward.
>>
>>1099691
That's almost as pathetic as being proud that you could beat up Ms. Baker's entire 1st grade class
>>
>>1099327
Know anything about places that play Jazz/Swing? maybe sell beer and snacks.
>>
File: sdfsdfsdf.png (774 KB, 598x741) Image search: [Google]
sdfsdfsdf.png
774 KB, 598x741
All these places to visit and only three weeks of time.

Plan so far is to go to tokyo, travel down to kyoto, go on to hiroshima, bike trip from onomichi (near hiroshima) to imabari, explore shikoku (not sure what to explore yet, probably won't be a very long stay) travel back up to Kyoto, possibly go to Nagano, travel all the way up to Hokkaido, explore Hokkaido, travel back down via Sendai and Nikko, and finally go back to Tokyo.

This will be my first time traveling alone, I spent two and a half years learning Japanese so I'm quite stoked.

No particular question, I just felt like sharing.
>>
>>1099850
3 weeks? Well..good luck, I'm just gonna go ahead that you'll stop enjoying yourself after day 10
>>
>>1099852
I dunno anon, I'm a huge stickler for walking and exploring places (just about any kind of place) but especially special places that look really fucking cool (all those amazing shrines in kyoto), foods of all kinds, electronics and otaku shit, photography and meeting new people. And beer, I like beer too.

I'm honestly more worried about getting a sunburn or having my feet start to bleed than I am about getting bored.
>>
>>1099855
Come to think of it, that's not how one uses the term stickler.
>>
>>1099855
I wasn't trying to imply that you'll get bored, but about your schedule being absolutely fucking insane

You'll spend half of your time on trains or running from place to place without exploring much

I would at the very least cut down Hokkaido, possibly Shikoku too

To give you a reference, the standard route that most people do for 3 weeks is Tokyo-Kyoto-Osaka-Hiroshima, which are 4 places and is well paced (I did something similar for my first trip and still felt like I didn't see enough stuff in Tokyo and Osaka), whereas you're trying to squeeze in something like 15 places in the same time frame
>>
File: nignog.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1728) Image search: [Google]
nignog.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1728
>>1099793
Not lying, though.
Why does it matter to use whether I write black, afro-american, nigger or nignog?
>>
>>1099850
You can't do that in 3 weeks, mate.
At least not if you want to actually see the sites.
You might be able to if you really hurry and just go to take a picture and then move along.
>>
>>1099855
>I'm a huge stickler for walking and exploring places
You should visit Yakushima, then.
It was my favorite part of the trip.
>>
>>1099850
That's a RETARDED number of places to try and visit in 3 weeks, holy shit, it's going to be miserable and you're not going to take much away from the experience. It will feel like you ran past all the interesting things and had 2 seconds to look at each.

You could spend that entire 3 weeks in Tokyo and Kyoto and still feel like it went by too fast.

In my opinion, traveling isn't about just checking off boxes about places you've technically been, it's about meeting people and maybe gaining some new insight on things. Maybe you make new friends that change your life. You can't do any of that with a schedule like yours (I'm not even sure a schedule like yours is physically possible in that time frame).

I spend 2 months in Shikoku alone, fucking love that place.
>>
>>1099850
Can you share your gmap?
I'm always curious about other people's choice.
>>
>>1099818
>sure, idc
I had to run a goddamn gauntlet trough narrow alleyways in Nakano if I went out drinking late night in he northern part of town.

Likewise in Shibuya, when the clubs closes there are so many hookers looking to capture drunk guys who didnt' manage to pick up girls. There's also always prostitutes near hachiko during the evening.

Just because they don't stand around in broad daylight doesn't mean they aren't there.
>>
>>1099867
I used to live in Nakano and the only ones I saw were the Chinese "massagi" ladies.

They are beasts, though. If they think you're drunk they are not afraid to grab you and push/pull you into their building, probably jerk your flappy drunk dick for 2 seconds, then demand $200 or the triads will break your legs.

One time I left a club in Roppongi at 6am, I wasn't drunk, just tired, and two of those massagi ladies grabbed me and I dragged them for TWO BLOCKS to the bus stop. They only let go when I sat down in the seat at the bus stop and grabbed onto the seat so they couldn't pull me out of it.
>>
>>1099869
>I used to live in Nakano and the only ones I saw were the Chinese "massagi" ladies.
Some of the side alleys of the indoor shopping street near the station were always populated by prostitutes after midnight

>Roppongi
There are some cool clubs, but fuck me the streets are a huge hassle
>>
>>1099871
Aahhhh, ok I think I know what you mean. Yeah I never went to that area much, definitely not after midnight since everything closed there at like 8pm or something super early like that.
>>
File: new1-4[1].jpg (80 KB, 600x1068) Image search: [Google]
new1-4[1].jpg
80 KB, 600x1068
>>1099841
Ms. Baker, you say?
>>
>>1099860
Because some of those terms are very blatantly racist and others aren't. If you can't see that, or are intentionally ignoring it, then I'm not sure what else to tell you.
>>
Have any of you guys done the Shikoku 88 pilgrimage?
>>
maybe im not looking in the right places but Im find it hard to maximize my time here in japan

I find that it's pointless to leave the hotel earlier than 10 am because most things I want to go to dont open until around 10 or 11 am.

I'm a early morning guy so I find myself twiddling my thumbs for hours until I can leave.

Akihabara and stuff.
>>
I'm planning to visit Japan sometime within the next two years or so. In my head I always planned to learn the language and try to see some non standard sights.

How realistic is my wish? How much should I expect to have saved for such an extended period of time? (Saving won't be too hard, work offers overtime often) and would such a thing just end up blowing up in my face with the locals etc

I guess I'm looking for recommendations and advice, but mostly cautionary tales if there are any.
>>
File: henrosticker.jpg (107 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
henrosticker.jpg
107 KB, 500x375
>>1099881
I did.
>>
>>1099877
not that anon, but holy shit do you even know what site you're on right now
>>
>>1099882
Everyone is sleeping off their hangovers man.
>>
>>1099881
by car with muh in laws. They were on a spiritual pilgrimage i was along for the ride lol.
>>
>>1099886
Different random anon and I hate this defense. "Hurrr look where you are." This is 4chan's rule number 3.

>You will not post any of the following outside of /b/: Trolls, flames, RACISM, off-topic replies, uncalled for catchphrases, macro image replies, indecipherable text (example: "lol u tk him 2da bar|?"), anthropomorphic ("furry") or grotesque ("guro") images, post number GETs ("dubs"), or loli/shota pornography.

/trv/ is a relatively "normie" board and furthermore it is a SFW blue board. There is no place for the racial slurs here, take it /pol/ or /b/. I've been so disappointed by the /pol/shit slowly making its way into /trv/. /b/ and /pol/ are containment boards, and that's where this shit should stay.
>>
>>1099883
2 years is not enough time to learn Japanese unless you're truly dedicated to it every day, all day. It's one of the hardest languages in the world to learn and it requires something like 2500 classroom hours, which means you'd have to spend 5 hours in class every working day for the next 2 years.

Just do Rosetta Stone for a while and get a basic grasp of how the language works and some basic phrases and sentences and you'll be fine, probably good enough to carry on a casual conversation.

You can easily see non-standards sights. Most the sights in Japan I would consider "non-standard" because foreign tourists only really go to the same 4-5 sights in Japan like Hiroshima dome, Senso-ji, Nara, Philosopher's Walk, etc. Pretty much anything else is virtually untouched by tourists (other than domestic Japanese tourists).

How much to save is up to how long you want to stay and where. If you were going to live in Tokyo for the full 3 months of your tourist visa, you'd probably need $10k.

I don't know what you mean about it "blowing up in your face with the locals" could you clarify what you're asking about there?
>>
>>1099894
Yeah sorry, typed up just before starting work.

I wasn't planning on becoming an expert, just enough to hopefully be a little more respectful if I'm visiting towns or something.

I just mean because I don't have a whole lot of experience doing it in this way , Id hate to be the kindividual of tours they hate in a country I admire.
>>
>>1099894
Rosetta Stone sucks at everything but listening comprehension.

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/complete

You can start here but regardless of what you use, you want to start learning the alphabets, Hiragana and Katakana. That way you can at least read some things. Keep in mind you can't read much of anything else without the thousands of chinese bullshit characters that they use, that is what really takes time.
>>
>>1099896
Be the kind of tourist they hate** phone sucks
>>
>>1099896
Why would they hate you for existing?

I mean, beyond the obvious reason that you're a gaijin barbarian animal pretending to act like a human, but other than that they have no reason to hate you more than any other foreigner living there.

People mostly mind their own business.
>>
>>1099892
god what a niggerfag.
>>
>>1099898
Rosetta Stone is fine for basic knowledge of Japanese. Obviously not as a first step towards a serious academic study of the language, but a nice tool for going over basic sentences and vocabulary.

Dr. Moku will cover you for Hiragana and Katakana, you can lean both in 2-3 hours if you focus. You'll actually use Katakana because that's always used for foreign words, usually English.
>>
>>1099894
If you live in Japan that is a very different story. Rosetta stone completely sucks ass and you already lost any credibility when you recommended it. Genki is much better. I have had friends who were close to fluent, if not fluent after living in the rural countryside for just a year. It is adapt or die in that case.
>>
>>1099903
>I have had friends who were close to fluent, if not fluent after living in the rural countryside for just a year

This is such a meme that triggers me hard.
>>
>>1099905
Except I am dead serious.

Source: JET program
>>
>>1099903
>I have had friends who were close to fluent, if not fluent after living in the rural countryside for just a year.

that's a pretty funny joke man
>>
>>1099903
Chill your shit, dude. The guy is just visiting, not living there. He doesn't need to be fluent and live in the countryside. He just needs to know how to form a basic sentence in Japanese and basic words like "car" "red" "over/under", etc.
>>
>>1099908
>Except I am dead serious.
>Source: JET program

Dat cringe.
>>
>>1099913
Whatever man, that does not make it any less true.
>>
>>1099894
>>1099898
>>1099900
>>1099902

Thanks guye, didn't mean to start arguments although is kind of the discussion I'd hoped for. I only really want to be able to converse basically so I'll do some more of mu own research.

Any other tips in terms of travel? Anything off the path I need to see?
>>
>>1099921
Tohoku has all my favorite off the beaten path stuff and noone seems to go there its so rural.

>dem fall onsen, creeks, and old 2spooky woods in the middle
>date gate to hell way up north
>those amazing ancient mountains of the dewa sanzen
>that dope AF train ride along the west coast.
>>
>>1099924
Looks beautiful. Thanks Anon, I'll definitely look into this more.
>>
>>1099921
There's tons and tons of off the beaten path stuff all over Japan. It's so much that it's hard to tell you what to check out unless you tell us about the kinds of things you would want to see and where you'll be in the country.

Just in Shikoku I can think of 10 awesome things to see and even Japanese people barely ever visit Shikoku.
>>
>>1099930

Yeah sorry for being vague but I'm working too.

I'm really interested in anything but "specifics" would be stuff that proves the rich history of the country. Vague still, but I'm easy to please.
>>
>>1099898
Doing 20 minutes of rosetta stone a night for 4-5 months is pretty good for conversational shit. Add hira+kata and you can get through japan pretty easily
>>
>>1099903
I've had it happen too anon, Mormon friends who went to Japan on missions and ended up fluent. It depends on the person of course, but if you actively try to learn the language it shouldn't surprise anyone that a year in a country would grant fluency. Guess they're just jealous they had to take the long route.
>>
>>1099964
Fluent meants being able to read and write. They are not fluent.
>>
Are clothes cheaper in Japan than in US? Should I just bring my own or bring less and buy it there? I'll be staying in Osaka area for few months.

I'm not looking for fancy expensive clothes, probably just simple shirts and pants. Any popular/well known stores or brands for college student? I have heard of uniqlo and superdry in US.

I'm not white so I don't have to worry about looking for large sized clothes.
>>
>>1099966
Haha no, literate means able to read and write. Which is why you can have a country where everyone is fluent but their literacy rates are abysmal, like Afghanistan. Time for you to brush up on your English it seems.
>>
>>1099967
Not cheaper. I just did some shopping at Uniqlo and the prices were about the same as in the states. $10 for a t-shirt, $30 for sweatpants, etc. If the exchange rate is nice you might end up saving a little bit that way.
>>
>>1099970
>>1099966

got em
>>
File: Furano.jpg (417 KB, 700x377) Image search: [Google]
Furano.jpg
417 KB, 700x377
>>1099947
I agree. You should be able to communicate basic things and have basic conversational skills after using it that long and that's all you need if you're going to Japan.

Besides, you learn way more from just being there, immersed in it.

>>1099932
Dogo Onsen in Shikoku is one of my favorite places in Japan, its the oldest operating bathhouse in Japan. In the same city is Matsuyama Castle. There's Karuizawa, a romantic small town about an hour away from Tokyo with mountain views and natural hot springs. The emperor met his wife there in 1957

If you're going to Japan in July then go up to Hokkaido to Furano to see the massive fields of lavender and flowers covering the countryside, pic related, and if you're going in the winter check out the Sapporo Ice Festival.

If you're going down to Kyoto, check out this nearby village called Ine-cho. It's a fishing village and it's beautiful. Just google pictures of it and thank me later.

There's also Gokayama for super traditional village architecture, Kurashiki to see all that 19th century Meiji Restoration style, Kawagoe in Saitama to get a feel of what Tokyo(Edo) used to look like, Kamakura, the old capital, is also famous for its Daibutsu (Great Buddha).

There's seriously so much to explore. Japan is one of those places where you can just throw a dart at a map and go to that town and guaranteed that town has it's own local prides that you won't find anywhere else.
>>
>>1099967
Prices are about the same to more expensive. Quality varies with price, obviously, but you will be able to find higher quality clothes more easily in Japan than in the US where we basically have the same 4 clothing stores over and over and over and over again where everything is made in the same Bangladesh, but the brand name makes the price go up 400%.

Clothes shopping is fun in Japan if you're not a big westerner. Don't be fat or taller than 6' and you should be able to find clothes your size.

If you're a college kid, you might want to go to Shimokitazawa and look up the 2nd hand stores there. They usually carry some pretty cool stuff for very cheap. Lots of college kids shop there.
>>
Anyone ever been to the Hitachinaka seaside park? I've heard it's just beautiful certain times of year.

I know it's kind of off the beaten path, but I thought it was worth asking.
>>
>>1100001
I had a buddy who lived there. I never went myself, but everyone I know who went said it was awesome. Pretty chilled out place with lots to see and do.
>>
>>1100002
Yeah, I live maybe 10 minutes away. It's considered a blue collar area, but the Japanese idea of blue collar is just a bit different than the western idea.

All in all the people are a lot easier to deal with than I had expected
>>
>>1099981
>>1099971
Thanks.
I'll just bring my own clothes and buy some interesting ones that I find.
>>
If my plane arrives at 22:45 PM, Haneda, what options do I have for transportation to Shimbashi station?
What are the chances to be interviewed? My stay will be around 2 weeks, but I'm gonna book a room just for 5 days through airbnb, will this be a problem if I am interviewed at the airport? Of course I plan to book a different room/place after 1-2 days...
Also should I lie about the money I have on my card, I have around 40000$?
I'll have my laptop with me, I do freelance work and I will make some cash during my stay (but only online)... going as a tourist btw.
>>
>>1100031
There is literally no single time anyone on this website that has used nignog when they weren't being racist pieces of shit.

Stop trying to make the discussion on here as shit as it is on/b/
>>
>>1100050
Why the fuck are you bringing $40k with you on vacation?
>>
>>1100050
Why does it matter if it's on your card? Customs only cares about cash.
>>
>>1100077
Well, they cared in Australia.
>>1100075
It's my only card so that's why

I should take some precaution like, having a phone number to my bank( ING) in case of something.
>>
>>1100074
>There is literally no single time anyone on this website that has used nignog when they weren't being racist pieces of shit.
Yep. Right now.
It's all relative. It's only racist because you believe it's racist.
I already told you I don't care which race you are.
But good job, completely ignoring the point in my post, and good job ignoring my questions.

>Stop trying to make the discussion on here as shit as it is on/b/
I don't browse /b/ anymore, I don't know the community.
>>
>>1100081
Don't expect to be using your card at too many stores, and you'll need to find international ATMs. Have fun anon.
>>
File: Screenshot (63).png (25 KB, 1189x119) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (63).png
25 KB, 1189x119
>>1100085
Thanks, I'm aware of that, only in post offices and airport I'll find right?

Also what does +1 day supposed to mean
>>
>>1100087
Some convenience stores too. There'll usually be signs specifying that it's an international ATM. The +1 day just means you get there at 10:35 the next day. So let's say if you leave on the 20th you get there at 10:35 on the 21st.
>>
>>1100087
You can also find them in a lot of 7-elevens.
It's really not as big a problem as people make it out to be. Just withdraw a bit larger amounts at times, so you also save on the currency exchange and withdraw-fee.

Have a nice day, and a nice time, anon.
>>
>>1100089
>>1100090
Thanks guys! I can't believe I've done it after months of hesitating.
Now to book some place and to make my itinerary
>>
>>1099846
plenty of jazz bars in golden gai.
>>
File: Screenshot (65).png (1 MB, 1153x923) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (65).png
1 MB, 1153x923
What's the cheapest way to get here from Haneda?
>>
>>1100109
Walking.
>>
>>1099846
In Kyoto there's Le Club Jazz, everything's pretty inexpensive (door fee that comes with one or 2 drinks) and it's a bring your own instrument type deal. In Hakodate there's a small place, Jazz Leaf, that's not far from the main train station (I think it's a few blocks south?.) They make shit cocktails but they have a good jazz collection (not live.) Then there's a place that's between Ikebukuro and Sugamo in Tokyo, it's small and too expensive but it occasionally has live performers. Can't for the life of me remember the name of it though.
>>
I'm really worried about transportation, how can I not fuck it up?
>>
>>1100137
By not being a fucking retard.
It's easy as fuck once you see it.
Have faith, anon. It's simple.
>>
>>1100001
been to Tokyo twice, wanted to go both times but never made it :(
>>
>>1100137
What are you worried about?

It's pretty simple, everything is even color coded.
>>
>>1099859
>>1099861
>>1099863
>>1099891
I see.
I haven't gotten to the part of planning when exactly I'll be where, but I'm guessing that I'd notice what you're telling me the latest by then.
I'll just cut it down to Tokyo-Kyoto/Osaka-Hiroshima with some day trips in the region. What's the best place for Onsen in that area?

>>1099862
Duly noted. Cheers.

>>1099866
Here you go
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zWCjKPbAECSg.ket2qRZKZI5E&usp=sharing
>>
>>1100000
>>
>>1100173
>Onsen
Hakone is famous for their Onsens.
>>
>>1100173
Best onsens (or at least the most famous-best onsens) are around Hakone, near Mt. Fuji. You could arrange to stop by there for a day or two on your way between Kyoto and Tokyo.

Konansou, Hakone-Ginyu, and Sounkaku are all recommended in that area from what I've heard.
>>
File: puzzle.jpg (158 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
puzzle.jpg
158 KB, 640x480
>>1100175
>>1100179
Also, if you have female relatives you want to bring an interesting souvenir, Hakone is also famous for hand-made puzzle boxes.
I bought one for my younger sister, to keep some jewellry in. She was very delighted.
>>
I'm so fucking excited for my trip. I constantly think about possibilities i haven't accounted for, but I can never think of anything else. I can't wait.
>>
>>1100199
Planning is one of the most fun parts of the trip, in my own experience. I used like 3-4 months making my itinerary
>>
I want to visit Azabu-Juban, seems nice
>>
>>1100190
I have one of these and I love it. I put small mementos from traveling in mine.
>>
>>1100201
I spend a lot of time making my itinerary and then as soon as I get to a place I throw the itinerary away and just follow my nose. It's the best system, in my opinion.

The process of making the itinerary gives me a sense of what there is to see, how I can get from here to there, how much it should cost and how long it should take, etc but when I get there I listen to what people there right now are telling me to go see and do and it's never led me wrong. Sometimes you find out about some event that you've never heard of before, something that's not mentioned on the internet, and you can go experience that thing and travel with new people to it, from there you can see what they think should be your next destination and then go there, rinse and repeat. I've had a lot of great experiences doing that, things I never ever could have planned to do before the trip.

>>1100210
It's ok, just a Tokyo neighborhood. Why does it stick out to you, anon?
>>
File: 1412875646567.jpg (14 KB, 409x366) Image search: [Google]
1412875646567.jpg
14 KB, 409x366
What's a good determiner to see if I enjoy teaching English?
>>
>>1100253
Probably start by knowing what "determiner" means.

But I don't know, you just gotta do it and see if you like it. Some people are pretty confident they're gonna kill it and end up quitting and moving back to their country after a week. Some people show up thinking it's gonna suck and they just want a job in Japan and end up loving it and being really good at it.

Just gotta try it.
>>
>>1100260
You're right about determiner.

How do I try it though? I'm a Senior and I'm really starting to think I should give JET/ECC/etc a college try.

I never thought I wanted to teach English, but I got my TEFL because why not? Japan interests me quite a bit, and I love new things. I've been studying Japanese language for a solid year and want to be immersed in an environment that speaks it. I'm just scared I'll hate it for some reason and be stuck. I know you can back out of the contract, but still.
>>
>>1100263
The key to success in big life experiences is to think about it like jumping into a pool.

You know it's going to be cold, you know it's going to suck for the first few seconds, but you also know you'll get used to it and it will be awesome in a few minutes.

Think of teaching like that. It's going to be a crazy shock and you'll probably feel exhausted for the first month from having to walk and talk all day, but eventually you'll get used to it and you'll be living and working in Japan, whatever that entails to you.

A decade ago I asked an internet forum for advice on a certain difficult trip I wanted to do. Nobody told me shit, the only thing someone said was, "just jump in". It pissed me off at the time, but now I see what they meant. You just gotta do stuff and work it out as you go. Don't let the fears stop you from doing anything.
>>
>>1100268
Thanks. That's pretty inspiring. I've been in a rabbit hole of watching Jvloggers and there's nothing that sticks out to me as "I can't do this because of X" other than maybe the routine being too exhausting.

I'll do more research and give it some more thought.
>>
>>1100268
that would go real nice as a quote on a poster
>>
>>1099509
No, you'll be forced to black man seppuku immediately upon arrival sorry senpai.

Of course it's fine, you'll have a great time
>>
>>1099509
yes
but you will be forced to wear a snapback, baggy shorts, and a basketball jersey so japanese citizens can identify you
>>
>>1100272
In my experience, there was no routine. Every lesson was different.

It's physically exhausting. I know you wouldn't think so, but spending your whole day on your feet, projecting your voice to a classroom is actually a lot of work. The teachers in the schools where I worked never sat down, there weren't even chairs for the teachers where I taught.

It was common to see teachers with their heads down on their desks in the teachers office, just sleeping with a coat over their head. It's normal to nap on your desk in Japan and it's considered a sign that you're a hard worker (obviously not if you do it all the time and you suck at your work).

Your body adapts to your work, though, and almost every American I know who went over to teach lost a bunch of weight and got pretty fit within their first year. One guy who still lives in Japan does stupidly difficult crossfit marathons all the time now. Another guy was a skinny black kid from New York and after year 2 he was ripped because he started working out after school with his school's judo club.

I know one guy who hated Japanese food and only ate McDonalds every day and he still lost like 50lbs in a year from teaching.

It's tough, but you can do it.
>>
>>1100268
Jeff?
>>
I've been thinking about going to Japan later this year. How are other Asians treated in Japan? I'm not a Chinese tourist on a tour bus, just going on my own from the US. I'm just sort of worried about being treated differently because I'm not a white American.
>>
File: 1430109141642.jpg (119 KB, 500x390) Image search: [Google]
1430109141642.jpg
119 KB, 500x390
>genuinely interested in Japan not because of animu and mango
>want to visit but dont speak the language
>have no money whatsoever
>>
>>1100335
>every time I tell people I'm going to japan they sort of cringe and internally think I'm a huge weeb
>>
>>1100336
>live in an area with a huge percentage of Japanese people
>everyone I talk to has either already been to Japan or wishes they could go
No judgement here.
>>
>>1100334
Make sure you don't dress like a typical PRC tourist then. Avoid cotton collar shirts and "number 2 all-round" haircuts. Wear deodorant. Brush your teeth. Use shampoo. Don't talk loudly.

I'm an Australian-born Chinese and I've never gotten any trouble. Play the part, don't actively make people think you're an obnoxious tourist.
>>
>>1100333
I don't know who Jeff is.
>>
>>1100334
You'll be treated differently, but not much differently than a white American tourist. We're all barbarians to them.
>>
>>1100350
Okay.

In school I always told myself I wanted to move to Japan. When I started popping in to /trv/ every so often a few years back, they made ESL training sound so appealing. I never learned Japanese because in the South, the only language deemed accessible is Spanish and I never got to pursue college because my living situation made financing unavailable to me. Then last year I learned Jeff has been teaching in Japan. Now he's leaving his teaching job to be a scientist, or something.

I was just sitting here in my mother's house wondering how small the world really was.
Maybe I won't go to the reunion next year.
>>
Any suggestions for what to search to take japanese courses nights/weekends while working in japan? All i find are full time language schools or "practice and chat informally" nonsense.

Saitama, Utsunomiya or Tokyo would be major cities i could go to, in order of ease.
>>
>>1100190
how much are those? A booth was selling the 16 step ones at anime expo but it was hundreds of dollars, too much for a stupid box any cheaper there?
>>
>>1100376
Actually, informal chatting will probably get you really far. Immersion is by far the best and fastest way to learn any language.
>>
>>1100387
You can check the prices yourself. Short answer: yes, much cheaper.

http://www.hakonemaruyama.co.jp/japanese-puzzle-box-e.htm

Don't buy anything from an expo (anime or otherwise) unless you can ONLY buy it from that expo because the prices are always jacked up high.
>>
Posted this a while back, didn't get any answers:

I was wondering if someone could clear something up for me please. I'm from the UK and I want to stay in Japan for 6 months. According to japan-guide, I only need my passport to enter as a temporary visitor, and I just need to apply for an extension:

>http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2221.html
>If you are a citizen of Austria, Germany, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Mexico, Switzerland or the United Kingdom, you have the possibility to extend your stay to a total of up to six months. You still initially enter Japan on a 90 day permit, but can then apply for an extension at an immigration bureau in Japan.

What confuses me is that according to the Embassy of Japan in the UK's website, it states:
>http://www.uk.emb-japan.go.jp/en/visa/temporary.html
>UK and Irish passport holders are NOT required to obtain a visa if they wish to enter Japan for the purpose of journey described above for a period of 6 months or less. (Note 1, 2)

But then if you read the "Sightseeing, visiting friends etc." visa application requirements under "Documentation" on the same page, it has a lot of other requirements not mentioned on either of those pages I've linked that seem to indicate that that I do indeed need to apply for a temporary visitor's visa even if I'm from the UK. Will I have problems if I don't apply for the visa, even though both sites state I don't need it? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I really don't understand whether I need this or not. Any help would be much appreciated.
>>
>>1100395
Call the embassy?
As much as I trust anon, I'd prefer to get a clear cut answer from the embassy myself.
>>
>>1100390
You need some sort of base knowledge of the language for that, I gather.
Maybe he doesn't have that.
>>
Ohayou, minna-san.

I'm looking in to working at a WWOOF farm in Japan, and I was wondering if anyone have experience with it? How difficult is it to get a work visa for a year or more? I know a tiny bit of Japanese, but I guess that speaking English mainly is not a problem.
>>
>>1100335
I know that feel man.
>lost job 5 months ago
>broke as fuck now
>good friend will be in Tokyo the week of my birthday this year (July)
>probably can't get that kind of money in such a short time
Also if you visit Tokyo I don't think you need to know any Japanese at all.
>>
>>1100400
It's not difficult to get a working holiday visa if you're under 31 from the right country.
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/w_holiday/
>>
>>1100398
Yeah, I guess I'll have to, thanks anyway.
>>
>>1100400
you don't need a work visa to WWOOF
>>
>>1100472
>a year or more
>>
>>1099687
Why did you greentext his whole comment?
>>
Good nightclubs to go to in Tokyo?
>>
What alternative do I have for offline maps for my windows tablet +android device?
>>1100495
Yea, any rock/metal/jazz/non-edm pubs or clubs?
>>
>>1100495
What kind of music do you like? Lots of nightclubs to choose from.
>>
>>1100502
There are tons. Google them.
>>
File: Screenshot (66).png (1 MB, 1609x901) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (66).png
1 MB, 1609x901
>>1100510
How much is a beer usually? Don't want to go to high-class, fancy, kitch, snobby places

Also what is there to see in this region?
>>
>>1100483
just do a few visa runs m8, #yolo
>>
>>1100513
Hamarikyu is pretty nice. According to this map, there's also a Shiba park so check that out I guess?

Also 日の出 is on the Yurikamome line as far as I remember, so defo check out Odaiba
>>
>>1100513
Go to shinjuku, kabukicho area. Beer is around 600 yen, booze is a lot cheaper.
>>
Has anyone used the Pasmo or Suica cards? If so, are they worth getting? Any major differences between them?
>>
>>1100524
yes, yes and no
>>
>>1100513
Alright, so I'll be staying for 3 days in that area after that I'm hoping to sleep as a couchsurfer, hopefully I'll find someone, if not Airbnb again. How increase my chances with couchsurfing, girls are more unlikely to host single men than guys right? Any of you have experience with this?

I'm working on my itinerary, I'm wondering if I'll be tired after a 12hour flight...
After arriving at Haneda(around 10:40 AM) I'll try to leave my backpack at the apartment then I'll walk to Tokyo Tower, then to Hamarikyu Garden, again I'll walk to Ginza, from there I'll take some transportation to Asakusa Shrine, then walk to Tokyo Sky Tree, by this time maybe I'll get some nice shots of the sunset.
After this get back, don't think I'll be able to have a drink near Hamamatsucho

Next day: dunno, maybe visit Yamatane Museum, is there anything worth in Roppongi Hills by daytime?
>>
Found this app, offline maps, might be useful.
http://maps.me/en/home
Found another app that translates pictures
Now do you guys know a good app for translation for when you're talking with someone?
>>
hey /TVR/ i have a problem. help please. so im mexican and im traveling to japan this summer. and i just found out i need transit visa as mexican to travel across canada since my fligh have a scale in vancouver canada.. is it hard to get a transit visa ? im really worried about this.
>>
>>1100402
Yeah, you don't need to know any Japanese to get by in Tokyo, most of the signs are written in Japanese and English and the residents speak English very well. Almost TOO well, I had a few times when I had to ask them to repeat what they said because they were so proper compared to what I'm used to.
>>
>>1100584
do you need to change airports?
>>
File: travel.png (291 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
travel.png
291 KB, 1440x900
>>1100591
i guess not. the schedule of the plane just says wait for 3 hours and changing planes in vancouver. but still i've read they wont let me get aboard in the airplane if i dont have the transit visa in the flight in mexico to vancouver. thats why im asking . how to get that visa ?
>>
>>1100524
Yes, I used one everyday for years. Yes, they are definitely worth getting. No, there is almost no difference between them. Some train lines take one and not the other, but that's very rare and I would just pay cash if that problem came up, which it shouldn't.
>>
any good websites/apps to find cheap local flights?
>>
>>1100390
Actually ive lived hwre 3 years and do that everyday and the immersion thing is overrated. If you plan to really learn a language you need hard study.

Charting with someone about food or hobbies will not teach you jack shit.

Fucking 4chan ignorant and useless as always.
>>
>>1100639
This.
On the other hand not chatting is really bad too.
>>
>>1100639
Obviously you won't learn anything if you suck at talking and have the same smalltalk conversation over and over again. One level of conversation is supposed to feed into another deeper level and so on.

It's your autism that's preventing you from learning the language.

Besides, I said it would get you really far, not make you fluent. I guess reading comprehension also isn't your strong suit.
>>
Is Nagoya interesting at all?
>>
>>1100693
yes
>>
>>1100693
no
>>
>>1100693
maybe?
>>
>>1100693
I don't know
>>
>>1100610
Umm I've never heard about somebody needing a transit visa if you're just changing planes on the same airport so I'm pretty sure you don't need one. Call the airline and check just to make sure
>>
>>1100693
perhaps
>>
>>1100529
I used maps.me a whole fucking lot when I was in Japan. I can definitely recommend it.
>>
>>1100639
And yet I've learned a whole lot of German, just by living here and not taking classes.
You're the ignorant person here, anon.
I think it mainly depends on the person, and how lazy or motivated they are to actually learn the language.
>>
>>1100693
It has some of the best museums in Japan, in my opinion.
>>
>>1100524
Get them, it costs 500 or 1000 yen to get one, do t remember which, then you'll be able to just jump on a train without having to get a ticket every time.

You can actually get the deposit back too at the same machines that provides the cards, would still be worth it even if that wasn't the case
>>
>>1099885
how was it?
>>
With yen going crazy is it better to exchange foreign money to yen now or wait?
>>
>>1100846
What do you mean, going crazy?
And it's simple: buy low.
>>
>>1100846
Noone can predict the economy like that.
if it's low right now, you should buy it right now.
>>
Anyone done the Kurobe/Tateyama alpine route before, or just know a little bit about transferring luggage from one station to another?
I'm planning on sending my bag from my starting point to a building right outside my final stop on the alpine route.
Problem is that I can only pick up my bag until 6:30 pm. I have doubts that I'll actually be that long up in the mountains, but at the same time I don't want to risk having to rush myself as I'm going on a fairly crowded day. Anyone know if I can pick up my bag the next day without any problem?
>>
so im about to be kicked out of my house
and i intended to go to a school in japan anyway, so if i want to move to japan as soon as possible, with about 60k saved up and 1k a month guaranteed
what is the best way to go about moving to japan? i intend to live there for about a year
>>
When I come back to the hotel and the receptionists say "irrashaimase" should I response with something? I feel like seeking eye contact and nodding my head is not enough.
>>
>>1100884
I think you can get a student visa i you sign up for a language school, but I don't have any personal experience with that
>>1100886
if it's a formal hotel, saying nothing is probably fine. If it's something more lax and friendly, saying "Tadaimasu" is fine too
>>
>>1099778
Great fucking write up anon thanks. Will go there january
>>
File: 446325.jpg (586 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
446325.jpg
586 KB, 1920x1080
Hey guys, my friend and I wanna travel Japan for a month this summer. We were planning to spend 1 to 2 weeks in the tropical areas and we were wondering if Okinawa or Kyushu would be the better option? Dunno if we have time to visit both (and make the most of it). If you'd recommend Kyushu, which areas offer the best beaches? Which areas have the best party life and young travellers/party-goers?
>>
I'm Japanese.
Do you ask anything?
>>
>>1100914
What's the meme situation like over there right now?
>>
>>1100920
Sorry.
I don't understand you said.
BecauseI only understand few words in English.
>>
File: 1460127033431.png (300 KB, 500x743) Image search: [Google]
1460127033431.png
300 KB, 500x743
>>1100920
this is the hottest meme right now
>>
>>1100922
W-Who is that cutie?
>>
File: 1460116257676.jpg (283 KB, 699x849) Image search: [Google]
1460116257676.jpg
283 KB, 699x849
>>1100924
Ellen Baker
>>
>>1100926
Very cute.
>>
>>1100926
>>1100922
Did I miss one of the meme meetings?
Care to fill me in?
>>
>>1100928
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/ellen-baker-new-horizon
>>
>>1100926
Is she textbook of junior high school character ?
>>
File: 091.jpg (97 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
091.jpg
97 KB, 680x680
Ellen Baker
>>
File: ellenbaker.jpg (565 KB, 1446x2000) Image search: [Google]
ellenbaker.jpg
565 KB, 1446x2000
>>1100926
You rang, sire?
>>
>>1100914
Have you sold our data yet?
>>
>>1100937
Yes.
>>
>>1100675
Exactly.

If you're fucking retarded immersion won't fix that.

For everyone else, living with the language is enough to learn to... live with the language.
>>
>>1100914
I want to bring shame on a nipponese girl with my white devil snake, how would I best go about achieving this?
>>
>>1100974
Rape. Imagine being raped by a white pig.
>>
>>1100975
I don't think that's legal in japan, unless you're invading china or something.
>>
>>1100978
No, but anon asked what's the best way to shame a japanese woman.
Now he knows. And you too.
>>
How long can I last with a budget of 4500 (after the plane ticket)? I'm 18 and have experience being homeless so I don't really care about how good lodging or food is. I'm shooting around 6-9 weeks
>>
>>1100992
>have experience being homeless
Do tell.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3535x2317) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3535x2317
>>1099327
I wanna visit Lake Ashi in Hakone, aka Evangelion's GeoFront. The whole area looks almost as comfy IRL as it does in the anime.

Anybody in /trv/ ever been?
>>
>>1101000
yes, you can take a ferry across the lake. There's a lot of EVA merch being sold all around there
>>
>>1101000
Yep, I took the ferry across.

>>1101003
Ah, that makes more sense then.
I had no idea it was related to EVA in any way, and I was wondering why almost every shop carried EVA-themed stuff like cookies and such.
>>
File: 1392024641798.jpg (330 KB, 726x860) Image search: [Google]
1392024641798.jpg
330 KB, 726x860
I'm moving to Japan this summer.

What's the best way to take my money to Japan? (from US) I've got about $15K in cash that I need to turn into yen. Also, the fucking yen is getting strong just as I'm finally moving there, fuck.

Also any general moving tips would be appreciated too, I guess. I speak nipnong fine, so that's not an issue.
>>
>>1101008
how did you learn Japanese?

what will you be doing there?
>>
File: kobe-ohashi-bridge.jpg (25 KB, 550x368) Image search: [Google]
kobe-ohashi-bridge.jpg
25 KB, 550x368
>>1101007
Pretty sure it's supposed to be the inspiration for Tokyo-3. There's a lot of anime "pilgrimages" you can take as animators usually take references from real places to save time. Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Zero's "Fuyuki City" is really Kobe, Iwatobi from Free! is really Iwami in Tottori and the Dogo Onsen on Shikoku is sort of the inspiration for the Spirited away bathhouse but most of the movie's visuals come from a town in China.
>>
>>1101009
Just a nipnong American "returning" to the motherland. My parents moved back years ago. Also, Japanese girls are qt as fuck. I'm gonna be working in a Big 4 accounting firm doing transfer pricing stuff.
>>
File: 20160404_223251.jpg (97 KB, 673x898) Image search: [Google]
20160404_223251.jpg
97 KB, 673x898
Some sweet shiny metal Gundam ass for yal
>>
>>1101011
jealous, here in Tokyo just visiting and you are right about that.. shame that I know no Japanese but this trip was rather unexpected and had nothing to do with japan before.
>>
>>1101010
I live very close to the Alsace region of France, and I know that the town called Colmar, which I visited about a week ago, was inspiration to Howl's Moving Castle.
I also think it was the setting of some slice of life thing about a girl working in a café.
>>
>>1101008
You should obviously exchange your money as fast as possible, if the yen is still getting stronger.
>>
>>1101017
>I also think it was the setting of some slice of life thing about a girl working in a café.
It was called something with bunny, maybe you know it?
I'm not that big on new anime.
>>
File: is the order a rabbit.jpg (268 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
is the order a rabbit.jpg
268 KB, 640x960
>>1101020
Guessing it's "Is the Order a Rabbit?" Im only aware of it because a seiyu I like is in it but it looks like just a big loli wave.
>>
>>1101024
Sounds about right.
But I can confirm that the city is comfy as fuck, and I can strongly recommend a visit, if you're ever in France - though it's a bit far from the traditional tourist places in France (thinking Paris, Marseilles and Nice).

Here's a picture from when I visited. Easter is for some reason a big deal where I live.
>>
>>1100234
>Why does it stick out to you, anon?
because of Sailor Moon
>>
>>1100887
>"Tadaimasu"
"Tadaima desu"
Or just your regular "ohayo gozaimasu", "konnichi wa", or "konban wa" ought to do just fine.
>>
>>1100912
>which areas offer the best beaches
Miyazaki and parts of Kagoshima.
>>
>>1100992
Im staying in Asakusa in guest house. Rent is 300e/month. There chinese/japanese food shop nearby 50meters. 270yen for decent sized bento dinner. So u can survive for quite long here.
>>
>>1100529
maps.me is a fucking godsend. Made my trip smooth and easy (and I'm someone who enjoys navigating with maps so it was actually pretty fun, too).

Can you link the app that translates pictures?
>>
File: 1401663468713.jpg (32 KB, 417x407) Image search: [Google]
1401663468713.jpg
32 KB, 417x407
>love japan and leaving for third trip to tokyo tomorrow
>everyone on /trv/ (and every other board) goes bananas for qt japanese girls
>tfw no romantic or sexual interest in asians

Am I doing something wrong?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.