[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Japan General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: IMG_4970.jpg (48 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4970.jpg
48 KB, 1000x667
New Japan General since the old one is past the bump limit:

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Travelling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza

Also info on prostitution http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1046277
>>
Reposting from last thread since it was the last post.

Gonna be in Japan for 2 weeks in December. Gotta question about prostitution and brothels. I'm half Taiwanese and passable as Japanese. The problem is I speak zero Japanese. You think I'd be able to get into places that dont cater to foreigners? Or will language be my main problem? Think if I found a Japanese friend he could take to to exclusive places? Also what's the best district in Tokyo to find prostitution and brothels?
>>
>>1049826
>I'm half Taiwanese and passable as Japanese. The problem is I speak zero Japanese. You think I'd be able to get into places that dont cater to foreigners? Or will language be my main problem?

No and yes. No one gives a shit if you kinda maybe look Japanese. If you're a foreigner who doesn't speak Japanese then that's what you are. Language is of course the main thing. How can they be sure you'll understand the rules and the system. Or have proper communication with the girl.

>Think if I found a Japanese friend he could take to to exclusive places?
Try it why not. But hes not gonna be in the room with you to talk to the girl. The same concerns apply.

>Also what's the best district in Tokyo to find prostitution and brothels

Shinjuku (Kabuki cho) and Yoshiwara. For you, Yoshiwara, as it has several joints that cater to foreiners with pretty decent looking girls.
>>
Going to Japan for Comiket and staying for bit over 2 weeks. What are good winter activities?

I have 0 interest in prostitution. I don't think i'll pick up anyone at bars either since I can't speak the language
>>
>>1049831
snowboarding skiing I guess?
>>
Where should I go if I want to get myself a tattoo in Tokyo but am not a Yakuza? Is that a real risk, accidentally running into a Yakuza place? Is it more or less expensive than in other places? And if anyone knows of any good or cool tattoo artists they want to shill, that'd be cool as well.
>>
>>1049831
Mogra's New Years event if you want to go clubbing with weeb music.
>>
File: P7070388.jpg (856 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
P7070388.jpg
856 KB, 1500x1000
Hey bitches,

I am seriously considering spending an extended amount of time in Japan next year. I would like to enroll in an intensive japanese course for 2-3 months and then try to discover the country with at least a basic-intermediate command of the language (I already have some basic shit, kanas, some grammar and a few hundred written words).

Assuming that I stay 3 months in a course, I would of course do my best to extend my visa and explore the country immediately afterwards. This should not be too difficult as my country has relatively good diplomatic relationship with Japan. If I manage to score a fully remote job by then, I might stay there longer, working remotely while studying... however, I am not so sure about this since there are very few truly remote IT jobs out there (as in, timezone does not matter).

As for the place for study, I am thinking of something not touristy, and more of a regular japanese town, with fewer english speakers than say... Tokyo or Osaka to make me practice the language.

After said study, the idea is either start in Sapporo and travel south with the Sakuras, or start in Fukuoka and travel north with the autumn leaves. Should be a pretty scenic trip, and I should be able to enjoy the country much more by being able to communicate with the locals. I was able to held a nice conversation with the employee/owner of a small okonomiyaki joint in japanglish, and it was the highlight of the trip.

So yeah, the questions are:
- Suggestions about city / school where to study japanese for a short term?
- Is 30 years old too old to do this shit?. I've wanted to do it for a while now, but true financial freedom came a bit late for me.
- What should the cost of a relatively modest living in a mid-sized Japanese city be? I guesstimate something around 900-1000 eur/month, but I've just visited... I have never properly lived there so I don't know if I am far off from reality.

Pic is tokyo bay from Rainbow Bridge, took it last trip.
>>
Any stories of maid cafes? Are they very foreigner friendly? Thinking of going to one on my trip next year.
>>
>>1049896
They will welcome you at the entrance if they are.
>>
>>1049896
They're obviously better if you speak Japanese but if you go to one of the big ones in Akihabara you won't have any problems
>>
>>1049894
What makes you think the Japanese government will extend your visa after you leave school? A "relatively good diplomatic relationship" has nothing to do with it; working remotely also has nothing to do with it. I'd say you should first research this very basic question before doing any more planning, or you'll probably be wasting your time
>>
>>1049894
>www.genkijacs.com/
Do it faggot. They're a bit expensive, but it's worth every buck. Gorgeous teachers, amazing learning atmosphere. Your age doesn't matter one bit.
>>
>>1049850
Getting tattoos in Tokyo is legal open and accessible. Although not at all common, there are people in Japan (mainly men) who have tattoos who are not Yakuza. Just do some research online and go. It's not going to be a "Yakuza place." Actually, real Yakuza, especially these days are somewhat inconspicuous. They don't tend to have the huge tattoos like in the movies.

>>1049896
They are basically all foreigner friendly, the most of all being the Maiddreamin franchise which will have English menus for sure. But don't expect the maids to speak English. I'm not into Maid cafes but I had a friend who was an otaku and he took me to one in Akihabara. It was actually pretty nice. The maids wore long skirts and the interior looked like an old bookstore or something. I forgot the name.
>>
>>1049931
41,000yen a week?? Holy Christ... Can anyone recommend some alternative options for me?

I'm living in Tokyo on a 3 year work visa. Currently unemployed by choice, and looking to take Japanese classes as well. Does anyone have any good experience with volunteer classes? If so where? Or any language schools that are a little more reasonable? I am looking to do some short term intensive study as well...

As a background, my Japanese knowledge is probably at about N3 level I think. I know all the 1,000 or so kyouiku kanji. (which I think puts me at N2 level as far as kanji goes?) but my conversational ability is pretty low. I live with my Japanese gf, so that's helping the conversational side, but I'd like to kick my own ass and really improve quickly. I think I need a general intermediate course, or maybe an N3 class? I don't really care about the JLPT, but if it's a way to guide the study I'm for it.

Any suggestions?
>>
File: image.png (840 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
840 KB, 640x1136
I'm going to Japan around January how is the weather around that time?

And I'm Hispanic, soo anything I should look out for? Cause this is my first time going.
>>
>>1049958
>I'm going to Japan around January how is the weather around that time?

Pleasant enough to me, but I'm from the upper midwest US where it's routinely -15, -20 in January. Expect it to be around 4-5 degrees C. Bring a coat, but it's nice.

>And I'm Hispanic, soo anything I should look out for? Cause this is my first time going.

You mean like cautions? Or just cultural stuff?
>>
>>1049894
>>1049931
>>1049953
I'm really considering applying for this one:
http://gogonihon.com/en/akamonkai-japanese-language-school-tokyo

The price is nice, the facilities are good, and I've read some really good reviews about go go nihon,
>>
>>1049961
Thanks! I'll make sure to bring one!!

And both cautious and cultural..
I don't know how Japanese people feel about Hispanics, not saying they are racist but just in general. Mannerisms to even going up to people and meeting them.
>>
Hey guys, I'm currently in Japan on my third year of the JET Program. I'm strongly considering going to graduate school in Japan after this. I'm considering MTESOL or Linguistics, since my resume is now mostly TEFL anyway. Might as well go all in.

I know undergrad in Japan is shit, but grad schools seem okay. Does anyone have any advice or experience regarding this?
>>
>>1049993
3 months for 150,000?
That sounds almost too good to be true.
>>
Australian here in Tokyo until Monday. Keen to go out drinking. Kik/line me: youseemconfused
>>
>>1050027
You'll be treated as any other foreigner. With kindness and respect or else deference. There are hardly any Hispanics in Japan. But there are decently sizable Brazilian and Peruvian communities. The average Japanese person doesn't interact with them on a daily basis but they are there. The average Japanese basically lumps all foreigners into three groups: Korean, Chinese and other. You're in Other, congrats.
>>
>>1049894
here

>>1049931
Holy shit nigga that's expensive as fuck. That's like 1k eur / month (my guesstimate general cost of living), I mean, I could afford it but I would go way way over budget. I'm thinking of 1.5k eur / month the time I stay there (that's like 200k) for all expenses, including housing, food, school and the occasional drinks. This school alone is close to my entire budget.

>>1049929
Yeah i'll probably need to check that out with the embassy. I guess i'll probably just get a student visa to be on the safe side, and travel after school. Should be doable.

>>1049993
Price looks great, I'll check it out!
>>
>>1049958
I'm hispanic too. For the most part, people outside the american continent can't really tell apart where you are from, since we are mixed race for the most part. People in Japan sometimes happened to ask where I was from, but very rarely. Other than a couple people ignoring me in the street when I approached them in english (first trip, I was a bit lost a couple times), I never felt any sort of ill treatment.
>>
>>1050140
>>1049953
Yfw there were people studying for a year at that school.
>>
>>1050142
Well, I imagine it's people whose parents have a very fat paycheck, or with upper-mid/high class families, or something like that. No way your average person can afford that. Most people making enough money to pay for that will not quit their job to study japanese.

Now that I think about it, I am also considering technical stays in Japan. They have this agreement thing with Mootxico (where I'm from) in which, after a lengthy selection process, you might be eligible to have a technical course there, which includes a 6 month course of japanese first, and the actual course afterwards, meaning you'll stay over a year with all expenses paid for, and something else that will look nice in the resume. My resume so far is solid so I'll consider giving it a shot next year. The only issue its that it'll be a while until the program starts again, and I could give it a shot for 2017. They do have this thing with several countries, by the way. We'll see.
>>
>>1050167

>apply for MEXT Master's scholarship
>don't even get past pre-screening
>begin receiving spam from Master's offers and scholarships

ehhhhhh
>>
I've been in Tokyo all week, and over the next week I'm planning on seeing Kyoto, Hiroshima, and Fukuoka for the sumo. But I have about 5 days more free after that and they're unplanned.

What would you guys suggest for more things to do as a first time person in Japan apart from these places? I'm thinking of heading more out into the countryside and doing some things outdoors, but I'm not sure of the best options. I have a JR pass so anything's open.
>>
>>1050195
Countryside is nice, just bear in mind that many things will not be in english, restaurants will not have english menus, stations will lack some english signage and so forth. If you have data on your phone, you can of course work your way around it with google translate.

For a taste of countryside, you can go to Koyasan, which is somewhat close to Osaka, but still manages to achieve that "secluded" feel, since it's kind of touristy but slightly inaccessible by japanese standards. By public transportation you need a train, a ropeway and then a bus. All in all takes about 2.5 hours to get there. You can stay at a buddhist temple there, which is somewhat pricey but nice experience. Breakfast / Dinner are inclusive there. There are some hiking paths around the area, and there is an amazing, old graveyard. Recommended.
>>
File: 2015-11-12_1939.png (621 KB, 722x440) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-12_1939.png
621 KB, 722x440
https://www.groupon.com/deals/ga-gate-1-travel-tokyo

This looks cheaper than if you were to book it yourself and the hotel is a decent 3-star with good reviews.

Should I?
>>
File: jun-togawa.jpg (32 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
jun-togawa.jpg
32 KB, 400x400
>>1049709
>ikebukuro
>>1049713
>Shinjuku, Shibuya and Roppongi

So what's going on there. Can you name any good haunts? Or venues? Noise, industrial, techno, art punk whatever. How about fashion boutiques?
I'll be in tokyo with a friend for a week this winter. We're spending the second week at his sister's (not by blood) house in the country by the coast. We're both American and don't speak Japanese. Do you think the community will be insular or are there a lot of artist expats hanging around?

I only know to check out Big Love records in shibuya just because they've put out some people I know. They've got pretty good curation for an east asian label so we'll see what flyers are in the store. There's a bar there right?

Also Akihabara is the place to go for old/obscure console games right? I've got a collection of PSX imports I'd love to flesh out.

>>1049716
>People dont care about "" scenes "" on japan. They judt go to have fun. Ikebukuro has fun stuff
But what about cool fun? Bourgeois fun can get old everywhere. Even if the city has no drugs or clubs, there's always an underground scene. I know asian scenes can be kind of commercial/sterilized today but Japan used to be more radical than anyone, I'm sure it must still be a bit happening.
>>
>>1050276
Actually just went and googled big love and found an interview where they named a few spots. This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for if anyone knows any more. The noise bar looks great. Solid vintage clothing joints, as well as indie cinemas (it's ok if they don't have eng subs) are cool too.

Also, I'm interested in videogames, if anyone knows anything in that vein. Idk, like an art installation or an arcade with a more obscure selection.
>>
I want to go watch some Kabuki at the Kabukiza theatre in Ginza, but I'm looking at the seating arrangement and I'm wondering if the cheaper seats are at all worth it. It seems to me like the prices rise way too much anywhere below the third floor, but I'm wondering if maybe the third floor is any good at all.

Also, I know you can pay for just a play instead of the whole show (which is apparently the cheapest), but do you even see anything from the 4th floor?

Basically, my question boils down to: what would you guys say is the most convenient ticket, if it's my first time watching Kabuki? I don't want to spend a fortune on it, but I want to be able to see. How bad *are* the worse seats? What would you say is the best one in terms of bang for your buck?

Thanks.
>>
What are some good french/italian restaurants that aren't over the top with the prices, or areas where there's a big concentration of them?
Something like a typical brasserie or trattoria, nothing too fancy.

I've been looking for stuff on the net but all I get is results for luxury places with prices around 40,000Y/person
>>
>>1050322
I'd try one of the "Ore no French" and/or "Ore no Italian" restaurants. There are several of each around Tokyo. You can get some pretty damn good at them for around 3,500-4,000yen a person.

Little Italian restaurants are pretty common in Tokyo. Japanese love their damn Margherita Pizza.
>>
>>1050339
continued... I'll add that a catch is that it's standing room only. So you can't sit. But it really pretty much respectable haute cuisine for bargain basement prices. He's the English website of the Ginza restaurant. https://savorjapan.com/0006009583/
>>
>>1050287
Get a mid-range ticket and you should be satisfied.

I prefer Noh, but Kabuki is also an excellent experience.
>>
Okay /trv/

I've got a buddy US national who is working illegally for like 5 English schools in Sapporo. Tourist Visa doesn't expire for another month and a half. He was told by his main employer (providing the most hours) that they would help him acquire a self sponsored visa... I told him this is bullshit because I thought the good ol Japanese Gov. didn't dish out self sponsored visas unless you were coming from a work visa. Obviously I googled this shit, but his employer is convinced otherwise... So please explain /trv/

On that note, how many times can he expect to reenter japan, with how much spacing, before being barred from reentry. He was heading stateside for the holidays and hoping to come back after a month or so to keep looking for legitimate work... Is this a realistic option?

Also is anyone else here living on Hokkaido and down to meet up at an Izakaya?

To answer others:

>>1049896
Consider other's cultural and behavioral norms before entering any establishment with an expectation of respect.

>>1049894
Come to Sapporo, we have fewer english speakers than Honshu and a program at Hokudai that caters to your "Hey bitches" attitude.
>>
>>1050140
>i'll probably just get a student visa to be on the safe side, and travel after school. Should be doable.

Yes, doable, but then you need to make sure the gap between the end of your course and the end of your visa is enough for travel to the places you want to go.

>>1050354
>how many times can he expect to reenter japan

Once. (Well, once in a 1-year period). Of course, if upon re-entry Immigration suspects him of working illegally he'll be immediately arrested/deported and likely will never be allowed to re-enter the country.

>self sponsored visa

I really doubt it. The self-sponsored visa is for people who've been legitimately working in Japan and want to go freelance (and can present enough freelance contracts to show they can support themselves -- I think the minimum requirement is Y3 million income/year). Since your friend can't admit he's been working (arrest!) he has no basis to apply for this kind of visa. I think his "employer" is confused and/or believes he already has a working visa.

>Is this a realistic option?

If they let him back in, sure. Of course, he'll then need to find someone to sponsor him, which is possible if he's qualified. I'd recommend he try teaching little kids -- it's harder to find teachers for this age group so he has a better chance of being sponsored. He could also try to pick up work out in the sticks; again, not too many people want to go to (for example) Kushiro, so he might be able to find a sponsor there.

>meet up at an Izakaya?

Tanuki Koji, maybe?
>>
My mate and I are going to Nipland in a few months and we'll still be 19.
We both want to try out some bars or sake, is it possible that we'll get ID'd?
We're both Asian but he's 6'4 and looks like a fat version of Hayao Miyazaki. Where as I look like I'm 18-
>>
>>1050358
You are a saint.
Fucking yes definitely Tanuki Koji... I'm living near Yodabashi at Sapporo Eki
What is your line acct?
>>
>>1050359
>Speak English and nobody will ID you
>Look Japanese and nobody will ID you
>Be in Japan and nobody will ID you
Nobody is going to ID you unless it is a cop and you are causing a public disturbance.
>>
Yo /trv

Been lurking for a few weeks now and my dream is to visit (later live) in Japan. So my question is:

I am turkish (according to some sources Turkey and Japan have one of the best relationships between countries https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan–Turkey_relations) and am currently living in Austria (which also has pretty good relationship with Japan). How hard is it to get Japanese residency for a person like me?
I speak English, German, Turkish and Spanish fluently, and am currently working on my Japanese (not really good tho). And in 2-3 years I will finish University ( I am studying International trading/sales)
>>
>>1050449
well if you can find a job not hard? I mean that's what it's gonna come down to really
>>
>>1050040
You had an undergrad when you went to JET?
>>
Anyone here from Canada with a three year diploma able to get a visa?

I've contacted the embassy and they said yes. But I have a feeling they didn't understand properly what a three diploma is.
>>
>>1050451
What about citizenship?
>>
>>1050449
Like the other guy said, it'll come down to you getting a job. If you have a degree in International Trading and speak Japanese and English you should have a pretty good shot at getting some kind of job over here. As far as residency, it depends on what you mean. Just like a residency for a set period like a year to three years on a work visa? Or permanent residency? There are pretty much two paths to permanent residency. 1, marry a Japanese National, you can apply after 3 years. 2, live in Japan for at least the better part of a decade and demonstrate command of Japanese among some other considerations. You can apply, and maybe get permanent residency.

>>1050471
Citizenship is a whole other animal. Basically you have to renounce whatever other citizenships you have because Japan does not except it's citizens having multiple citizenships. If you're a permanent resident though there really aren't a whole lot of extra benefits to citizenship.
>>
>>1050377
Sorry, no line, no smartphone, no facebook.

>>1050449
It's true about the relationship between Japan and Turkey, although I suspect you like them more than they like you. Getting a job here isn't too easy (but it's really the only way outside of marriage you'll be able to get residency), so if I were you I'd start researching companies in Turkey that export to/import from Japan (and vice-versa). That's probably your best shot.
>>
>>1049831
>I don't think i'll pick up anyone at bars either since I can't speak the language
Depends what bars.

You can go to Akihabara and Nakano.

Go to the Ghibli museum (but books tickets in your home country).

If you have ANY hobbies whatsoever check out Tokyu Hands (Shibuya is the best). Also an excellent place for buying gifts.

Also visit a Don Quixote.

Even though its out of season to climb Fuji, go for a day trip out to Hakone and check out the forests and cave systems nearby.
>>
>>1049850
>Is that a real risk, accidentally running into a Yakuza place?
So what if you do? The biggest risk you DO have if you ended up in a Yakuza owned tattoo parlor is getting some quality work done.

I know MANY tattooists in Australia are OLMCG owned or run. But they still serve non members and do good work.
>>
Moving to Japan on the 23rd for at least a year with AEON. Even though this isn't my first Eikaiwa rodeo, I'm nervous as fuck.

Considering I'll be working full time hours, whats the best way to continue learning Japanese when I get there besides immersion and self-study? Private lessons?
>>
>>1050555
I worked for AEON for a year and a half. Ask me anything you want to know.

Are you just out of college? Were you a Japanese major? What is your current Japanese level?

Working for AEON, you are not going to have much time or opportunities to improve your Japanese. Basically you have to do it on your weekend.
>>
>>1050544
Email me?? [email protected]
>>
>>1050562
Long out of college. Early 30's. Worked for Nova back in early 00's and have an education degree.
Had some functional japanese from my previous time in Japan but its lapsed a lot.
Want to actually make a better attempt at learning japanese this time, instead of being a dumb ignorant gaijin like last time.
>>
>>1050564
OK, I'll think about it. Maybe we could meet for a drink at TK-you-know-what. How old are you, BTW?
>>
>>1050566
I see, well, if you have any questions about AEON feel free to ask.
>>
I need to collect my wifi from my hotel, how do I ask for a parcel that was delivered there?
>>
>>1050622
1: Go down to front desk
2: Ask if they have received a parcel for you
3: IF yes, as a follow up question, ask if they will give the parcel to you.
4: ?????
5: PROFIT!
>>
Me and 2 buddies of mine are traveling this upcoming summer and Japan is one of the locations we were considering. Two of us are 19 and the other is 18. We might go out drinking a night or two but I don't drink alcohol so I'd just be tagging along, and we're too beta to try out brothels.

Is it a worthwhile place to visit for tourists? Interacting with people and simply experiencing their lifestyle (be it in a major city like Tokyo or more rural areas) is an important part of the trip, but I was wondering if there are any major sightseeing spots for tourists you folks would recommend.

>>1050552
>climb Fuji, go for a day trip out to Hakone and check out the forests and cave systems nearby
Not the guy you responded to but that sounds interesting. I'm guessing climbing Fuji possible during summer.
>>
File: 1433091900856 (1).jpg (217 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1433091900856 (1).jpg
217 KB, 1920x1200
>>1050634
Ok let me rephrase that for you "How do I ask in JAPANESE if they have my parcel". I would of thought it obvious I wanted to know how to ask in Japanese being in Japan and everything.
>>
>>1050670
No idea, then, check Google translate for an amusingly close translation.

Or just ask in English. If the clerk does not know English, they can find somebody who does.

Or draw pictures, that could be fun.
>>
>>1050555
Why be nervous? It's your second time no?
>>
>>1050670
Why are you even traveling if you are this fucking stupid?
>>
>>1050670
"お兄ちゃん、そっちだめ.."
>>
>>1050689
>Why are you even traveling if you are this fucking stupid?

This is one of the problems of the world we live in, don't you think? Once upon a time, people this retarded (unless they were rich, or royalty, or both) would never set foot outside their native towns. They'd spend their days wallowing in mud and shit, pursuing whatever tard ideas passed through their tiny little minds. But nowadays somehow the retards like to travel, and when they do they turn all the foreign places they touch into mud and shit. Look at Akihabara. Shit. Look at what they've done to a lot of SEA.
>>
File: tard.jpg (8 KB, 264x300) Image search: [Google]
tard.jpg
8 KB, 264x300
>>1050670
>would of thought
>>
>>1050670
Just say "Wifi haitatsu" Haitatsu = delivery.
>>
If I go to some mayor city and get hammered will I have a good time?
>>
File: mayor-joe-quimby.gif (14 KB, 300x259) Image search: [Google]
mayor-joe-quimby.gif
14 KB, 300x259
>>1050756
>If I go to some mayor city and get hammered will I have a good time?

It depends on the mayor, I suppose.
>>
I'm trying to find accommodation in Kyoto for early April next year. More specifically, I want to book rooms in Kyoto Hana Hostel or Backpacker Hostel K's, but it looks like they are fully booked.
Does this mean I need to wait for the 3 month mark in January, or am I just too late?
>>
>>1050767
April is prime cherry blossom time. It's likely that the hotels are already booked.
>>
So I've started going to the happening bar in Shinjuku regularly and I'm beginning to figure out who the other regulars are. Thought I'd do a report

>The older lady with a great body who dresses in which every stocking suit costume is available. She never puts out and barely engages in anything sexual besides through clothes touching, but she loves going around and stopping other peoples fun.

>The fat girl with some of the biggest tits I've ever seen. She will let any and everyone fuck her or do anything sexually to her. I've seen some guys just make her suck their dick all night without giving her any pleasure.

> The glasses wearing nerdy otaku and her "boyfriend". She looks like she would normally be spending her nights alone reading manga. She also likes to wear a stocking or one of those net body suits like the older lady. However she doesn't wear a bra or underwear underneath like most girls. I've seen her walk around completely naked on slow nights. They come as a couple but the guy seems to get off on making her suck a lot of dicks in circle. Never seen her fuck but I have seen her double team and triple team the guy with other girls when he gets lucky. Usually she just sucks his dick alone in a corner if he isn't making her suck other dicks.

>The loves cum girl. Blonde hair, usually hangs out by the bar, and she also likes to be surrounded by dicks so she can choose her favorite to suck. When she has a favorite she always sucks the guy until he cums in her mouth. Sadly never swallows, but the staff knows its her thing so they always have a hand towel waiting for her. Usually by the end of the night shes sucked every dick that has come near her she likes take off her underwear on the bar chair and have a guy eat her until closing.

Theres a few semi regular people but I've seen them nearly every time I've been for the past year.
>>
>>1050808
Fuck off with your shitty erotic novel.
>>
>>1050811
Its not fiction, it my experience over the past 6 months with most of the info being from the last 2 months
>>
>>1050813
He was not using the phrase "shitty erotic novel" literally and he didn't mean it's not real. He was implying that your post is overly long and detailed and no one cares. The point is, at the present time, no one asked a thing about what you've been doing in Happening Bars or for a meticulous run down of the people you saw there. Why would you just write a big, detailed post that's completely unsolicited? Even to people who are interested in knowing about Happening Bars (though no one asked), does it matter or is it interesting to anyone that one of the random girls you've seen there doesn't tend to wear a bra like other girls? Jesus god no one cares.

/trv/ isn't your diary, dude.
>>
>>1050816
This desu
>>
>>1050816
Speak for yourself, I'm enjoying it
>>
>>1050816
Get over yourself, no one cares what you have to say either.
>>
>>1050464
Three urea degrees are tough especially if you are going for an English teaching job but not impossible.
>>
>>1050767
Just book a business hotel they can roughly be equal price and far better quality
>>
>>1050808
>I've seen some guys just make her suck their dick all night without giving her any pleasure.

Soon.. You just regularly sit around watching irk dick sucking? Cool story bro
>>
>>1050860
Ducking auto correct
>>
>>1050857
>he thinks business hotels aren't going to be booked during peak time
>>
>>1050860
Why would I go multiple times during a month if I wasn't one of the people getting something from the regulars and the new girls? The whole point of the bar is that is a secually free place where when you "pick up" a girl theres no pretending about a date its just sexual pleasure right then and there.
>>
>>1050926
Would you say it's a good place to go if you're looking for some SM play?
Single female looking to have some fun when I come over in a few months time. I've heard some happening bars are more friendly to this stuff than others, but most of them only cater to Japanese people so it's difficult to figure out where to go.
>>
>>1050856
Does it depend on the embassy, employer or both?
>Trying to go the English teacher route.
>>
i dont have any free time untill the end of December-around the first week of january

Is it stupid to travel to tokyo at that time for a week or two? i know airline prices go up , but do the hotel prices go up aswell? (ill look it up anyways but thought maybe has done this before and knows a little more)

I'm interested mostly in going out and making some friends and karaoking/drinking most nights. But i heard alot of japanese visit their families and don't go out around this time... i'm really conflicted because i wont have much time 2016 to travel for extended periods
>>
>>1050993
I did a lot of research before I joined the one I did. They all seem to have the tools for SM but its not really a big thing. The one I go to has ropes and whips and cuffs and some kind of x shaped pillow. But most of that stuff stays hanging up on the wall. How ever I'd say about 1 in 3 times that I go somebody is tying up a girl in the general area and the whip is actually pretty popular for use by the girls on guys. Its a pretty free place so nearly anything goes, but it is definitely not the main theme of the one I go to
>>
>>1050816
I agree, I'd much rather read about someone asking what to do in Kyoto, how to use the subway, if they should learn Japanese, and if the JR pass is a good deal for the 100th time.
>>
Hey /trv/,
I'm thinking about WWOOFing in Japan for a year, does anyone know what I should do to prepare myself? Thanks in advance.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (393 KB, 1125x480) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
393 KB, 1125x480
I want to travel to Japan and rent or buy a bike. Do you know how to do this or should I buy a bike state side, and ship it over via the aircraft or some PO Box in Japan? I'm looking at doing extensive biking there.

Also, I do not speak much Japanese. Not enough to really get around. How do I go about finding good food, good shelter, etc? I'd like to avoid the general tourist trap areas and bike the country. I want to try to camp in between towns, stopping at a hotel as a check point and spend a few days there checking out the sites, then continuing on via bike and camp. Any suggestions?

>pic not related
>>
>>1051133
I 2nd this question.
>>
>>1050863
One quick search pulled up plenty of availability so I would say they are a good option still
>>
Anybody have experience using US (Verizon) phones in Japan?

I was less than impressed trying to use my Galaxy Note 2 a couple years ago. I was able to get (roaming) service with my Verizon Sim card, but nothing when I swapped in a prepaid soft bank card. I changed all the settings like I was supposed to, no idea what the problem was.
>>
File: tets.jpg (248 KB, 651x900) Image search: [Google]
tets.jpg
248 KB, 651x900
>>1050276
Well I came onto another place to check out, Taco che in Nakano Broadway. Meant to be Tokyo's best underground/art comix shop. Thanks for the not-help /trv/, sharing for anyone who might be interested
>>
So this has probably been talked about, but i couldnt find a clear answer. Im heading to japan for 2 weeks early next year for a good holiday, can't wait. But im more worried about how much i should bring. Right now, i just put aside 2k AUD, flights, lodging and JR pass has been paid for, so that 2K is mainly to spend on stuff. But where should i excahnge? Im flying down to KL first then to japan a week later. should i change it in Aus, KL or Japan?
>>
>>1051182
I don't know about your spending habits, but I kind of doubt that you will burn through 2k in two weeks.
>>
>>1051192
what about the exchange? Changing in AUS is a no, they rip you off with their bullshit tax. In KL they would probably change from AUD->MYR->Yen, so i would lose something along the way. But what about changing in Japan?
>>
>>1051197
I'm pretty sure ATMs in Japan will be your best bet.
>>
>>1051201
wouldn't my bank charge me for drawing out in another country?
>>
>>1051202
Depends on your bank. I've got a credit card that let's me withdraw a certain amount of times without any fee, worldwide.
>>
>>1051182
where in aus are you? its way cheaper to get it all exchanged here. if you're in melbourne i have a place i can recommend.

but yes generally the more yen you buy here the better. if you feel alright carrying that much yen around (which, in japan is pretty feasible, it's hard to lose anything) i'd advise it. i went in july and got half of my spending money exchanged, the other half on a travel card.
>>
File: Capture.png (927 KB, 1020x536) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
927 KB, 1020x536
anyone been to yamaguchi?

how to keep yourself sane living int he countryside?
>>
>>1051202
>wouldn't my bank charge me for drawing out in another country?
Yes, but it can be safer and better than exchange rate fees at a money exchange too.

Some great banks, the higher your buying power and wealth the better your perks, just like credit cards, but there are some banks with low minimum investmnts, like Schwab, who refund all fees if they are ever charged. It's like a gift.
>>
Can you get a job in Japan without knowing Japanese?
>>
>>1051237
Yes, (somewhat) easily as an English teacher. You could also work for a company with a branch in Japan on a transfer or being hired for a Tokyo location of a foreign company or something. I'm sure there are some tech positions and that available for those with no Japanese ability depending on just how skilled and in demand you are, but generally speaking solid command of Japanese/business proficiency at least is required.

There was a Croatian guy on either /trv/ or /int/ recently who was moving to Japan for nursing or something. He did not know Japanese. So maybe some work in the medical field, too.
>>
>>1051254
>Yes, (somewhat) easily as an English teacher.

How does that work if the students don't know English and you don't know Japanese?
>>
>>1051261
Well if you work at an English conversation school most of your students will probably be adults, many of whom are at least a passable intermediate level of English. Remember not everyone is a beginner.

If you work at a public school you often have the support of a Japanese co-teacher. Or else you're basically just a human tape recorder who mimics things from the book.
>>
>>1051254
You're limited to only English teaching unless you have a high demand major and technical skill like computer science. Even then most companies will not sponsor your visa, but if you can get into the country on a visa you have a decent chance.
>>
>>1051280
What do you need to teach English?
>>
>>1051283
A degree in anything or 10 years experience teaching English
>>
>>1049993
>>1049993
>>1049993
Hey guys I inquired into taking the intensive short course at this school, and the woman said I can't become a student for one of the 3 month short courses because my Visa is a Humanities work visa? What kind of BS is that? It's not a job. My visa allows me legal residence in Japan. And while I understand there are restrictions on WORK related activities for which I'd be earning income, it's not like attending this school is a *job* where I'd be earning income outside the scope of my visa.

I suppose I should trust her judgement, I mean she does work at school so she should know, but can anyone confirm this?

Seems bogus as fuck.
>>
>>1051286
It might be some weird thing where you aren't able to work the number of hours needed to keep the visa for the next time you're reapplying but the school shouldn't care
>>
File: photo.jpg (51 KB, 499x498) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
51 KB, 499x498
Anyone know what it's like to work with manual labour in Japan, and how difficult it is for a young foreigner to find such work?
I don't really care about the pay, as long as I have something to eat and somewhere to sleep I'm good.

I'm a 20 years old carpenter/joiner apprentice but I have also worked with plumbing and drain laying, in the begging of next year I'm moving to New Zealand to work there for a while but after that I'd really like to travel to Japan.
>>
Is it worth it to book an extended trip in Japan without knowing the language at all? Would it be worth it to have a basic understanding of the language if you're not sure you'll go back? What about books/translation apps?
>>
>>1051296
The only people that say you don't need Japanese are the ones who can't speak it. Knowing as much as you can ALWAYS makes your trip better.
>>
How are foreign obese people treated in Japan?
What about non-white (and non-asian) foreigners?
>>
I have a couple questions (and I read the sticky)

I have heard hotels in Japan are pretty much a no go (or they're expensive. Can't remember) and that it's better to stay with other people (I forgot what it's called though). Is this true?

I was also told to use a service like Rentaphone because there's no guarantee that your phone will work in Japan. Anyone have any experience with it?

Is Kyoto worth going to?

I want to climb Mt Fuji (not all the way probably). What would be the best season to do that?

What are some beers (besides Sapporo Beer) I should try when I visit?

What foods are a must to try?

Do I need to carry around yen with me or would using a card be fine?
>>
>>1051368
Hotels are fine, depends on your budget. Otherwise hostels and AirBnB are good.
Yeah renting a sim card is a good idea. That or a pocket wifi.
Depends on a lot of things. But yes none the less.
Google it
Good question actually, I myself had a hard time finding anything besides Sapporo that's really good. They sale other canned, kind of fruity liquors in their convenience stores that are really good though. Can't remember what they're called.
Where will you be? Every region has its go to food; Kobe has beef, Hiroshima has Okonomiyaki, etc.
Carry yen.
>>1051321
They don't care.
>>
>>1051296
I went with no knowledge beside 'sorry' and 'thank you' for a month earlier this year and got along perfectly. Hardly anyone I came across knew no English at all and if they didn't know then there was still a way to communicate, if you're buying stuff etc.

Anyone ever been to Sandankyo? If so, what was the stuff the old lady was selling near the start of the trail? It was like some kind of dough ball covered in sticky tar-looking stuff, it was pretty great after walking for six hours through the rain.
>>
>>1051404
Functional semi-alcoholic here.

Last time I was there, I was drinking a lot of "The Premium Malts", a bit more expensive than regular beers but dry, a bit more flavorful and hoppy, quite good for a Japanese macro. It actually has a 78% on beeradvocate. Suntory has some other offers such as IPA's and european styles, you can recognize the bottle easily by the english lettering and small, dark tapered bottles.

Try several sakes, they can be very different. They can be bitter, sweet, dry, flavored... lots of possible combinations overall. There are also good japanese whiskeys you should try.

As for the sweet fizzy stuff, I enjoy umeshu-flavored drinks (plum) a lot. There are some in a can. You can tell the Umeshu flavor by the kanjis: 梅酒.

Foods, here are some of my favorites from Kansai
- Okonomiyaki
- Kushikatsu. They impale stuff in wooden sticks, batter them, fry them. You proceed to dip in sweet-sour soy based douce. Amazing.
- Shojin Ryori (vegan japanese buddhist cuisine). You can find this in Kyoto. There is a restanrant that serves it in Tenryu-ji temple in arashiyama.
- Kaiseki Ryori. Usually expensive, but there are cheaper forms of it. It's like... fancy traditional Kyoto cuisine.
- Tempura. Get it from a specialized place. There is one famous and well priced one by Gion.
- Ekiben. Translates roughly "Station lunch", kinda. It's neat lunchboxes you can buy in the stations before you take a shinkansen. Good bang for the buck and good variety.

I can go on and on.
>>
File: Mitarashi_dango_by_denver935.jpg (65 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
Mitarashi_dango_by_denver935.jpg
65 KB, 1280x853
>>1051432
Sounds like a type of dango
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dango

>>1051296
Learn as much as you can. It can help you maneuver around non-touristic areas of the city, and go to the kind of mom-n-pop joints where you can rest assured the owners won't speak english, and an english menu choice won't be available. Google translate works wonders as well, but people appreciate it when you show you are trying to speak the language.

>>1051237
Shit is hard. I am an IT worker, and open positions in Japan for people who don't speak 'business level' japanese are extremely rare, even for in-demand industries.

>>1051321
Might get a couple stares here and there, nothing too uncomfortable. They'll still either be polite out of kindness, or societal expectations.
>>
>>1051296
If you stick to the major cities (Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka), you can scrape by with little to no Japanese and Google Maps/Translate. If you plan on going anywhere else, having a basic fundamental understanding of the language is really helpful desu.

You can learn some common basic phrases using this audiobook:
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:195ced1abc797d1260bda788a793fbc1b4b64082&dn=collins+easy+learning+japanese+audio+course+by+y0+h1&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftorrent.gresille.org%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337

And you can fill in the gaps with this second audiobook:
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:9d7f266f36e79671c764f229debf1c754cf368a6&dn=in+flight+japanese+learn+before+you+land+audiobooks+download&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337

The first link is more easily accessible imho, but doesn't cover things like numbers and other key phrases. It took me about 2months of constantly spamming the first audiobook listening to it during my commutes and breaks before I felt comfortable with the material.

Good luck!
>>
>>1051182
A basic daily cost of living breakdown for foreigners traveling to Japan and living frugally would be:
$20-30 - Food
$5-10 - Transportation
$30-50 - Accommodations (low end capsule hotels, hostels, some Ryokans).
Total - $55-90/day.

14days x $55 = $770
14days x $90 = $1260

Add another $500-800 or so for miscellaneous expenses such as Data Sim Card, Shopping, Alcohol, Entertainment, etc. So it looks like you have a good budget for your trip. You can exchange your money at the airport (Narita, Haneda, etc). From what I've been told, the exchange rate at these airports are really good.
>>
>>1051441
90 is not really frugal in my opinion. As long as you stick with a 25-30 USD place to crash, 60-65 is quite good for the rest of the day. You can have a good meal in a above-average restaurant, and a few drinks at night with that money.
>>
>>1051441
thats sounds pretty good then, since i already have my accommodations paid for. But can anyone confirm the exchange rate? Looking locally, i can get 1aud=82yen. Is that good or bad?
>>
>>1051182
Try checking out an STA travel card. Here in japan now and it seems pretty good. Its just a debit card but the fees are alright (1% fee, so $20 if you put on 2k) but that way you dont have to carry around all your cash and just take it out when you need it.
>>
>>1051446
I was trying to be realistic with my numbers and range, as the prices and cost do vary based on seasons and various regions anon may be visiting. Also Ryokans (Japanese Inns) are generally priced at $50-70/day, which a lot of tourists are keen at trying since it's a different experience than staying at a Western style hotel.
>>
>>1051456
That's not something anyone can give a definite answer to desu. Exchange rates will vary on a daily basis. What you have to do is compare the exchange rate from wherever you're exchanging it from, to the market exchange and any additional fees associated with making the exchange.
>>
Another exchange rate question.

I'm traveling from US, staying in Singapore for a week and then staying in Japan for 2 weeks. I use Chase, so I have a fee of $5 and 3% for withdrawing from international ATMs.

What's the best way for me to exchange money? I heard the international ATMs in Japan at 7-11/airports charge their own 1% fee, so using those would be $5 flat+4% fee at base exchange rate. Would that typically be better than exchanging in cash/traveler's check in Singapore or Japan?
>>
Is Beppu overrated? I'm sure it and Yufuin have many nice onsen, but you find nice onsen anywhere in the country.
What else would draw one these besides onsen?
>>
>>1051297
>>1051297
Lel, Japanese major trying to justify his existence. You don't NEED Japanese for a vacation. It will of course make your trip better, but you don't NEED it. Don't study Japanese beyond survival phrases and pleasantries just for the purpose of a vacation if you really have no other compelling reason to study it. It's really not worth it.

If you are truly interested in studying Japanese than of course go for it. It will of course make your trip better. But if your only motivation for studying is some worry like "shit am I going to need this for my vacation?" I really wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>1051261
Most privately owned English schools (AEON, Berlitz, Nova etc) actually forbid their staff speaking Japanese at work. It 'breaks the immersion' for students.

In a way it is a better system, even for absolute beginners, where you'd use flashcards, lots of repetition and LOTS of patience.
>>
Heading to Japan soon for at least a year.
I've read in many places that bringing in pornography or copyrighted materials on your computer is illegal and you might get searched.

Given I'm moving their on a working visa, not just holidaying, what are the chances of my computer being searched at immigration? Should I move everything onto a portable hard drive deep in my luggage?

It's not even porn I'm worried about, just m movies and TV shows.
>>
>>1051535
0%
>>
>>1051535
>what are the chances of my computer being searched at immigration?
>>1051540
This.
>>
>>1051519
I personally found it to be the worst place I visited so far in Japan and I went there twice. Yeah onsen are nice but there's nothing else there other than the eight hells which I really didn't care about. Yufuin is a nice little town but when I was there it was overrun by Chinese and Korean tourists.

If you want to go to a really nice onsen city in that area go to kurokawa and be there relatively early to avoid the crowds
>>
Does anyone have some recommendations for places to visit in Tokyo that are less central (ie. not covered by the 山手)?
>>
Dumb question, on hyperdia can i search for liner trains when using seishun juuhachi?
>>
>>1051580
Nakano
Odaiba
Mitaka and the Ghibli Museum
Yokohama isn't very far away at all either and might be worth a visit.
If you're at all into cooking or want to grab presents for someone who is theres Koppabashi
Tokyo Dome City
>>
>>1051604
Cheers. Did you mean Kappabashi?
Looks a bit desolate on Googlemaps.
>>
How much money do you need to move to Japan?
>>
Female solo traveler, thinking of booking a room around Shin-Imamiya station (And therefore very close to the Shin Sekai area I guess?) in Osaka, when I head over for a week next summer.
I've heard that it's a shady area that single females should avoid, but I need to save money and the rooms around there are way cheaper than anywhere else.

What do you think /trv/? I know they say Japan is very safe for all travelers, but if there is a danger risk above minimal, then I'm not too sure if I'm willing to take it.
>>
>>1051617
Over 9000 chinese golden dragon coins.

Serious answer: The exact amount you need for the Japanese government to allow you to stay as an investor varies from year to year; however it is roughly n+1 Yen, where n is the amount of money you currently have.

Hope that helped =)
>>
>>1051136
>bump
>>
>>1051521
How is what you said different than what I said except you shoehorning in an excuse to justify being lazy?
>>
>>1051623
Wherever you are from is more dangerous than Japan
>>
>>1051580
here's a map I created for myself this summer mostly with off the beaten track stuff and also some side trip. Just ignore the event stuff

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=zlpvkYW_zixc.knEyuFkwM1wk
>>
>>1051438
Yeah it's definitely a type of dango, I just don't have a clue what type of crazy ass black tar-paste she used on it. Maybe she just spread charcoal and spit onto it because she hated me.
>>
>>1051623
> Dangerous for japanese standards

There is probably no safest country for a girl to travel solo.
>>
>>1051642
What did you end up doing in Tsukuba? Studying abroad there in about 9 months
>>
>>1051687
didn't end up going there unfortunately. I was originally planing on doing some hiking there since there's a few good ones in that area supposedly
>>
Don't go to japan to become a teacher unless you hate free-time and money
>>
>>1051697
>Bitter 50 year old English teacher detected.
You do it for a year or two and than either move out or go on to something else in Japan.
>>
>>1051701
No, but I saw enough videos about peoples experience (even from the more happy ones) to see it's not fun. it's a working-class wage for college graduates, where you work well past overtime without compensation.

And what else could you do without knowing Japanese?
>>
>>1051720
>it's a working-class wage for college graduates
And? It was never meant to be a career.
If you look at it as a vacation and just do what you're told to do than it looks much better.
>>
>>1051623
Japan as a whole is very safe. I traveled solo (27 Male) and there wasn't a single area I visited that I felt unsafe. I even walked the city alone at 3am in the morning so that I could visit Tsukiji market, and not once did I feel unsafe. With that being said, there are some seedy areas with "Adult Entertainment" and pimps and touts trying to solicit customers. That's about it. If you ignore them, you're good.
>>
>>1051611
Yeah, Kappabashi! AKA Kitchen Town. It's basically a street filled with shops selling kitchen and restaurant supplies. Such as knives, pots, pans, plastic imitation food displays, groceries, etc. It's a really busy street filled with tourists and people in the restaurant industry.

I myself am a very keen cook, and I felt like a kid in a candy store visiting Kappabashi. If you're looking for a souvenir, getting a set of Japanese knives is very popular as the quality is second to none, and it makes for a very practical gift to use everyday.
>>
>>1051720
This is absolutely not the experience if you work for a public school. Public school ALT is a do nothing job with normal hours. Usually like 8 to 4. The salaries are generally low, but it's made up for by being easy and giving you ample free time.

Also ECC is an eikaiwa school where you work a 6 hour day and have 7 weeks of paid vacation.

ESL in Japan doesn't have to be that bad.

>>1051623
I agree with the others, still. You should take normal precautions. If you are walking somewhere alone at night that isn't super happening and lit up like Shinjuku or somewhere, I think you should still carry pepper spray and/or a whistle. Better safe than sorry. Unfortunately, molestation, groping, indecent pervy shit, etc. is still a prevalent reality in Japan. The camera noise on phones bought in Japan cannot be turned off because of the prevalence of upskirting, and shit like that. General indecent creepy perversion is probably tolerated in Japan more than any other country on Earth. Possession of Child Porn was only recently made illegal.

Most perv guys probably wouldn't dare try shit with a foreigner, though.

Anyway, long story short, yes Japan is very safe and you'll be fine, just better safe than sorry. Carry a whistle or spray.
>>
>>1051730
>And? It was never meant to be a career.

Yes. But if you have a college degree, you may as well do something that won't pay you enough to flip burgers in your own country.

>If you look at it as a vacation

Shit pay and long work hours isn't how I'd spend a vacation.
>>
>>1051790
>Shit pay and long work hours isn't how I'd spend a vacation

>>1051767
>ignores this post
>sticks to his blind assumptions

Why do you have this forced chip on your shoulder about ESL? Like you've never even done it for real, actually, yourself--yet your mind is made up and you're not allowing your mind to be changed. I make 300,000yen a month at my junior high ALT job. Doing the currency conversion and breaking it down hourly, it works out to about $15 bucks an hour. Obviously a less than stellar salary but really not bad for a do-nothing job with a solid 8 hour day. Certainly more than your average burger flipper makes.

Would I do it for the rest of my life? No, but why do you project that I "may as well do something" else with my degree? What if I just want to have the opportunity to have fun and live comfortably in another country for a while? That's a pretty cool experience.

Given the low level of qualifications required, ESL can offer a pretty great and unique experience. There is nothing wrong with taking advantage of an easy way to experience a foreign country with just a Bachelor's.

I like traveling and I like experiencing other countries, so tell me again that I "may as well do something else" with my BA. I'm young, why not?
>>
This is something of an unusual question but I'd be thankful for any comments or advice you have:

At the moment I'm trying to help my parents plan and host a reunion (to be held in 2017) for a family that's become spread amongst Australia, Canada and the UK; a group primarily consisting of baby-boomers (aged 55 to 70) with a few younger people like myself mixed in (25-40).

My thoughts on the issue is, "why not meet halfway to average the air-fares; go to a place we've all never been before; and to pick somewhere the beachgoers, culturally-inclined and general holidaymakers will all enjoy".

Going by that metric it was more or less a choice between pacific islands, Japan/Korea or Hawaii.
Some of us have been to New Caledonia though, Hawaii is apparently overly commercialised and Japan is probably a bit too-mountainous/hilly for such an elderly group.

So how is Okinawa/Ryukyu islands by comparison? None of us have certainly been there, and it meets the criteria, but would there be enough infrastructure and/or tourist points-of-interest in Okinawa to host this sort of event?
>>
>>1051633
>bump
>>
>>1051697
English teacher here

Work 9-4 monday to friday, no overtime, leave at 4 pronto. Its a middle school so very little wirk, just sit on my ass all day. 6 week summer, 4 week winter, 2 week speing vacations, plus golden and silver week. All paid except summer. Plus plenty of holidaus and other days off.

No time off is the opposite of whats trur, yoy wont find a job with more time off really.

Pay is nothing special, could be higher, but i wouldnt trade this easy ss fuck job for more pay
>>
>>1051805
300,000 is pretty high for an ALT

Are you exaggerating?
>>
Pognonaddict marketingtard spotted. Go vote for sarkface you invisiblehandperv
>>
>>1051823
What are you certified through?
Do you actually need a degree to teach English in Japan?
>>
>>1051843
Certification?

I just have a university undergraduate degree
>>
>>1051830
No, I'm not I was a direct hire, no dispatch company to take a chunk of the pay.
>>
>>1051855
I met a couple in Vietnam who did the TEFL thing. They had no English or teaching degrees.
I wasn't sure if Japan is more strict about who they hire as English teachers.
Just curious because I was thinking about looking into teaching in Japan or south Korea.
>>
>>1051830
JET lists starting salaries at 300,000
>>
>>1051790
Okay you just found out it's not for you good. For a lot of people it's a pretty good gig for a year.
>>
>>1051807
Shitty b8 m8
>>
>>1051927
For Japan and Korea you must have a bachelor's. Prett much any halfway decent TEFL job will require at least a bchelor's.
>>
>>1051927
Vietnam is a developing country, desperate to grow their economy. Japan is the 3rd largest economy in the world, with over half of their population graduating from college that is only considering immigrants outside of the English teaching world because the population doesn't want or need kids.

You really think they're equivalent countries?
>>
>>1052011
Thanks

>>1052015
>You really think they're equivalent counties?
What? No. If I thought they were equivalent counties I wouldn't consider teaching there.
I wasn't sure if TEFL worked the same way different countries. Or if requirements were different depending on the level you wanted to teach at.
>>
>>1051232
source?
>>
What are Japan's biggest tourist traps?
>>
>>1052161
You know, I don't think they have too many proper tourist traps. Many places just happen to attract people but were not designed with that in mind, such as Tsukiji. Biggest traps i've seen would be:
- Gion, Kyoto
- Area around Arashiyama bridge, Kyoto.
- Sensoji temple in Asakusa, Tokyo.
- Skytree and adjunct mall, Tokyo
>>
>>1052252
>Gion
>Sensoji

The fuck, Gion/Kiyomizu Temple are both fantastic and absolutely worth checking out. Are you crazy.

Sensoji Temple itself is also worth it. Just enter the temple complex through the side instead of the main gate. That way you avoid the swarm and line of junk shops. Yes, the line of souvenir stands is an eyesore, but the temple complex itself is quite nice--definitely worth a visit.

Both are free and nice places, it's beyond me to call them tourist traps.
>>
>>1052252
A few come to Mind:
Beppu
Iga Ninja castle
Kyoto's observation tower
Akihabara in some ways
Enoshima
i am sure there are others
>>
>>1051748
wow you are a 27 year old guy and you felt safe? Shocking
>>
>>1052389
>Akihabara in some ways
In what ways? Akihabara is an honest and authentic way to experience some very uniquely Japanese culture. There is no cost of admission to just walk around and take it in.

Fucking Christ, if Akihabara is being called a "tourist trap" then what doesn't qualify as one? Can we define it.

In my opinion, to qualify as a tourist trap in some way, a thing must be at least one of these:
>unreasonably expensive
>of little truly authentic or unique cultural value
>>
>>1052397

>In my opinion, to qualify as a tourist trap in some way, a thing must be at least one of these:
>unreasonably expensive
>of little truly authentic or unique cultural value

So, robot restaurant?
>>
>>1051623
Like other anons have said, you should always be cautious and be aware of your surroundings. This should be in any city, whether at home or abroad. Take routes that are well-lit and have lots of people. Don't listen to music and scan your surroundings as you're walking through sketchy areas. People looking to take advantage of others will always look for easy marks. Japan is probably safer than wherever you're from; whatever you do at home just do it in Japan as well.

For the record I am a 5'1", 100LB female and I had zero issues while traveling solo in Japan for 2 months. I never felt unsafe but I also wasn't an oblivious idiot while walking around at night.
>>
>>1049822
I'm in Oita for like 2 weeks and then Osaka for a week. What is there to do in Oita?
>>
>>1052479
eat chicken Tempura
>>
>>1052479
2 weeks of chicken tempura. Wait isnt that just donkatsu?
>>
I'm a Canadian trying to make plans to use WWOOF, or WorkAway to spend a couple of months in Japan. My Japanese is passable, but I'm not confident in anything more than conversational use.

Does anyone have any tips, recommendations, warnings, etc for a first time in Japan?
>>
>>1052423
I think it probably qualifies although it is pretty unique. I enjoyed myself but yeah.
>>
I'm wondering whether or not I should invest in a bum bag or something similar. Have you guys had much experience with being robbed/pick-pocketed in any parts of Kyoto, Nara or Osaka?
>>
>>1052539
Crime is generally pretty low all over in Japan. The only time I've heard of petty theft occurring is people who stay at hostels with all their stuff out in the open, but their usually committed by other tourists and not Japanese natives.
>>
>>1052539
I once saw a purse sitting alone at the entrance to the bamboo forest in Kyoto. It was right before the sakuras bloomed so there were a bunch of tourists constantly streaming through this walkway, at least 1000 an hour. On my way back I saw the same purse, untouched and unmoved. Anecdotally you should be fine.
>>
>>1052539
You don't really have to worry about crime in Japan.

At least until you're really drunk in a seedy Kabukicho bar and the staff start colluding to suck every last yen out of your body, but probably just avoid that situation.
>>
>>1052252
FUCKING GION. Pretty much the only place in Japan you can find crappy food, and it'll be your most expensive meal to boot. Kyoto is kind of a bitch to get around/know where you're going compared to most other Japanese cities as well, so it's harder to find the (many) awesome places that are outside of the tourist zone.

Kiyomizu is totally worth it, though, like that other dude said. Everything in Kyoto is great except for Gion and that fucking ugly tower. Arayashima bamboo groves are totally over-hyped, however, and utterly packed full of European tourists.

I think the Skytree's worth it for the view - obviously it's touristy, but it's a big observation tower. They're exactly like that all over the world, what are ya gonna do.
>>
I'm a neet who wants to go to japan and don't care about my future "career" or anything like that. I am just wondering is there any job you can do with no degree?
>>
>>1052600
Yes, stay home. Japan doesn't need uneducated bigots.
>>
>>1052600
>is there any job you can do with no degree?

Yes. It's called "prostitute." You can start right away in your home country -- why wait?
>>
>>1052397
Ehhh I was operating under a different definition for tourist trap.
> Designed to attract as many non-local people as possible
> Relatively expensive

>>1052587
You know, I actually had a decent meal in Gion, but I usually have a good eye and take my time to determine where local people are queuing up. It was a very nice, fresh tempura. But I found the rest of the area rather underwhelming, with more shops than anything of interest.
>>
>>1052587
Also, regarding Arashiyama, I think the area is nice as long as you are willing to walk and get away from the area and temples around the bridge. The more you walk, the fewer people you'll find, and you'll have a nice and serene experience.
>>
>>1052600
No, not really. Unless you work in a major international firm with a branch in Japan, or decide to teach English in Japan, it's very difficult to get a work visa in that Country. The easiest way to find employment is to teach English, but that requires a degree unfortunately.

You can still visit the country as a tourist, and the duration will vary based on which country you're from. In Canada and the United States it's about 3 months.
>>
>>1052587
>I think the Skytree's worth it for the view

It is not worth the 3,000yen admission. Pure robbery. Go to Tokyo Tower--a few 100 yen, or the Metropolitan Government Building in Shinjuku--free.

>>1052611
Eeeehhh, what about Akihabara is really, truly designed to attract as many non-locals as possible? Akihabara is very much made for Japanese people. It's like people forget that the original anime dweebs are Japanese and Japanese otakus are probably more hardcore than foreign ones. Otaku shit started in Japan with Japanese people. The place is pure Japan. They are not pandering to foreigners much at all just because a subset of foreigners have latched on to what it is and represents.

MaidDreamin has English menus, but beyond that I'm not sure how Akihabara is going out of its way to accommodate foreigners.

>>1052626
>Unless you work in a major international firm with a branch in Japan, or decide to teach English in Japan, it's very difficult to get a work visa in that Country.

Tech work is readily available if you are qualified and are at least business proficient in Japanese.
>>
>>1052643
Just went to Akiba today and can confirm that if you don't speak/read some Jap you will be completely SOL. In a big store like Animate you might find one person per floor who can stutter some English.

There are some electronics stores with fluent Chinese though. Tourist trap for the Chinese importing luxury electronic goods, I suppose.
>>
>>1052611
Here

>>1052643
I wasn't that anon. I don't think Akihabara is a tourist trap. I am well aware that it's simply the area of the city for vidya, mango and a good concentration of electronic shops.
>>
>>1052643
Cheap people say this shit and you always feel dumb when you don't go.

I remember the first time I went to Japan, all my Japanese friends swore up and down that Tokyo Tower was a huge waste of money and that I should avoid it and just go to the Mori building. I followed their advice and avoided Tokyo Tower. Then I went home and all I got was shit for avoiding one of the most famous landmarks in the city nobody cared that I went to the Mori building, and I felt bad that I missed out on the opportunity to go. Luckily I made it back, I went, and then I enjoyed it. Its silly to actively avoid famous places unless they truly are not in your budget or there is just a time constraint. You just feel like you missed out on something when you don't go
>>
>>1052161
Ginza a.k.a Chinatown
>>
>>1052671
Its a tourists trap in the sense that there aren't actually any deals to be found in Akiba for the most part anymore. Its almost certainly always going to be cheaper to just buy online
>>
>>1052693
It doesn't advertise itself as a place to find cheap nerd shit though. Plus like the other anon said, if you do wander through the shops the most advanced English you'll come across is "no pictures." A lot of tourists gravitate there because chances are if you're in Japan in the first place you're either a weeb or a weeb in denial and that's the most notoriously nerdy area.

Whether a bunch of pizza faced anime-clubbers and "i-i used to like naruto when i was KID, i'm over that shit now" dudebros congregated there or not it'd still be a nerdy ass area.
>>
I'm looking to go to Japan, either to teach and work for a few months or chill. By issue is that I'm a 6'2, 240lb guy. I know Japan is small and has those really small shitty apartments and rooms for accomodation. Will I be able to stay there comfortably or will I struggle for my size?
Everything is just so small there!
>>
>>1052643
Lel, the view from Tokyo Tower or particularly the MGB is nothing like the Skytree. You're literally looking at the sides and (barely) rooftops of other buildings, the Skytree lays Tokyo out around you like a Godzilla movie miniature.

I can understand why someone might not be bothered with it, but pretending going up a much, much shorter building is the 'same thing' is misleading af.
>>
File: 1447817426261.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1447817426261.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>1050816
Fuck off, it was an interesting post. I wish more people would give 'scene reports', but y'all boring losers who travel like wannabe not-tourists with nothing to say that you couldn't find in a tour guide.

This little girl doesn't even drink >>1050648

If you had to wait for the question to come up you'd never get to share anything interesting. I have to ask? How's Tokyo's noise? How's the drug scene? What are the cool kids doing these days?
>>
>>1052721
I agree with you that trip reports should be accepted in /trv/.

On the other hand, using "little girl" as a term of disparagement (poster was fairly clearly male) is a bad idea on 4chan.
>>
File: 1434614329676.jpg (193 KB, 690x388) Image search: [Google]
1434614329676.jpg
193 KB, 690x388
>>1052731
>using "little girl" as a term of disparagement (poster was fairly clearly male) is a bad idea on 4chan.

Not sure if you're saying that because 4chan wishes it were a little girl or neo-4chan is triggered by prescriptive gendering
>>
>>1052735
She is a respected lawyer, not a pokemon
love the giant pic of her squatting to take a shit on Ukraine
>>
>>1052735
Both, but primarily the former.
>>
>>1052709
It used to be competitive on price and was one of the few places you could get some of the more shady things in. After spending all day there recently its really only worth it if you're looking to buy used and old things. I got a good deal on some old Playstation games, that can be pretty high priced online, but most of the places now price them the same.

A coworker of mine found it very easy to get things like a modded PS2 and such years back, but when I went looking for a sd card cart for my 3DS, I came completely empty on anything in that vein. I found one store that sold video game parts and all though they had some neat things most of it was extremely overpriced.
>>
>>1052716
You're not big you're just fat. Lose some weight and just get used to the fact places in Japan are smaller and you'll be paying for a smaller place for the same price as whereever you are now. The doors and things are still normal height, unless you get an old apartment, and even then you won't have any problems.
>>
File: Porkins.jpg (11 KB, 248x203) Image search: [Google]
Porkins.jpg
11 KB, 248x203
So how many of you guys are applying for the JET Program? Application period has ended so why don't we get a head count of how many JET Applicants we have here?

Red Leader standing by.
>>
>>1050040
How are you enjoying JET? Where have you been stationed?
>>
>>1052792
I spent the better part of high school and a good chuck of college researching JET, Ultimately I decided on lower pay in a real city versus higher salary and the country. Plus being ina real city allowed me to switch out of English teaching a lot easier
>>
>>1052717
>rationalizing spending 3,000yen on that shit

Skytree is of course better than Tokyo Tower and the MGB, but it's not so much better as to justify the price, imho.

>>1052721
Lol, whatever, bro. Assuming you're not just the guy who made the original post samefagging, why are you so vehemently defending some anon you don't know and his lame post.

>>1052795
I'm not a teacher here, but I've heard that JET has greatly expanded its urban placements.
>>
>>1052795

switch out to what?
>>
>>1052847
I'm curious too. Obviously, if his Japanese ability was good enough from the get-go and/or he had the qualifications for something else he could have entered Japan with a better job than English teaching.

There are really not too many options for jumping from English teaching provided your Japanese isn't very good and/or you don't have tech qualifications or something.

I know native English speakers can get jobs in corporate recruiting, but all indications are that the jobs are generally shit, you work like a dog for long hours and it's incredibly high stress. I think most people just try to hack it for at least a year so they can have something that looks good on their resume.
>>
File: 1334027378499.png (44 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1334027378499.png
44 KB, 400x400
>Leave in two weeks for a month
>Barely organized
>Still no idea what I'm going to be doing in tokyo for a week and a half
What the fuck am I even doing.
>>
>>1052912
>Still no idea what I'm going to be doing in tokyo for a week and a half
You can easily spend half a day or a day in the museums, and there are quite a few museums in Tokyo.

Or you can stew in Akihabara for a week, visit maid cafes, neko cafes, master those damn crane games, etc.
>>
>>1052949
>Akihabara for a week

Dude. There's not that much too it. Akihabara can be experienced in a day.
>>
I will be attending Sophia University next semester. Any recommendations about eating cheap in Tokyo (like the university caffeteria?) and fun things to do at the surroundings of the university?
>>
>>1051090
Is the JR pass a good deal?
>>
>>1051819
There's lots to do on Okinawa and lots to see. If your family is a lover of barbecuing and laying on the beach, then it's a great place.

You can even charter boats to take you island to island if you feel like seeing nature.

I heard it's more similar to Hawaii than Japan. The place is extremely easy going.
>>
>>1052977
If you use the shinkansen twice in one week it pays for itself. If you don't its hard to recoup the cost of the week. That said its such an amazing deal for a round trip you can't actually buy it as someone living in Japan.
>>
>>1052958
Agreed. I think you can do the basic Akihabara weeb shit in one day (Vidya and mango shops, maid cafe, game centers).

>>1052977
They are good if you are planning to move around a good deal. You can get prices in Hyperdia.com for the legs of your trip and decide if it's worth it. There are other regional alternatives to the country-wide pass you should consider too.
>>
Does anyone know of anywhere in Japan that is somewhat english friendly airsoft?

From Australia where airsoft is as illegal as real guns, and I know it's pretty big in Japan, so though I might see if I can give it a go while I'm there.
Though I figure that seeing as it's something that is legal in most countries, there wouldn't be any English speaking support for it over there.
Can't find anything online but thought I'd ask.
>>
>>1053179
I'd say your best bet is honestly America or maybe Canada. I doubt Japan has a huge amount of airsoft tourism, so there'd be no real demand for Gaijin-friendly AIrsoft. It's really a hobby that's country-native, whichever country it is in, so unless you go to an English speaking country you're not going to get English airsoft.
>>
>>1053181
Yeah, true. Don't plan on visiting US or Canada, and I'm going to Japan in January, so thought I'd see.
It's legal in New Zealand, so might go do it there next year during snow season.
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 640x640
What's up fellas ,, I'm going to be in Japan around January 6 till all month. Any of you guys gonna be there around that time? And is there a place where random foreigners meet up?
>>
>>1052802
Because I'm still waiting for someone who isn't another a washed up english teaching loser to come in and give me the details on Tokyo.
>>
>>1053257
English teachers aren't allowed to go to happening bars?
>>
File: 4649963_orig.png (655 KB, 1100x717) Image search: [Google]
4649963_orig.png
655 KB, 1100x717
Looking to climb Fuji in the summer, does the mountain (and the 5th station) reliably open to climbers on July 1st every year? If so would it be super packed with climbers?
>>
>>1053299
The fifth station is open all year, it's the sixth and further who close in the winter.
Speaking from experience,I climbed mt fuji in march and even so the 5th station was extremely packed so expect a lot of climber, like really a lot.

On the other hand,don't attempt mt fuji in winter juste for the sake of being alone. Really. I'm an experienced climber and that was really dangerous.
>>
is gogonihon legit or is it scam?
>>
>>1053285
Its too expensive on a teachers salary to go more than once a month with out taking a girl
>>
>>1050040
seconding this (applying atm)
>>1052794
>>
If I happen to get lost, is it even reasonable to ask a cop for some help? My japanese level is -10 / 10
>>
>>1053397
Thats literally all their useful for.
>>
>>1053350
Absolutely not a scam. Why are you worried it's a scam?

>>1053357
That's all dependent on the person's lifestyle and what their priorities are. You talk about it like it's a set objective rule, even down to the number of times they're literally allowed to go. That's silly man.
>>
Where's the best place to convert currency? Airport?
>>
so why is changing your currency at your bank a bad idea?

When I went to Trinidad, I went to Bank of America to change my currency. The Teller went on her computer and googled the exchange rate for the the money there. Like 2 days later, i received an evelope from them telling me to pick up the money

How much can the difference be? I would assume whatever price I got from like xe or whatever, would be what I want.

Am i incredibly wrong?
>>
>>1049822
Hey /trv/

I'm heading to Japan for New Years, and need your help on what to see.

I'll be with my family from 28th Dec to 12th Jan. We're going to Tokyo till the 2nd, then Skiing at Hakuba till the 7th, Hirsohima till the 8th and then Kyoto till the 12th.

Then my family are going to China, but I'm going to stay in Japan by myself for another 14 days.

So what else should I see in 2 weeks? Already have Nara and Osaka on my mind. Is there any other must see places/experiences? I have to return to Tokyo for the plane home, so keep that in mind.
>>
>>1053616
Also, how long should I spend in each location? I'm willing to see and experience a lot of things. But I don't want to be hanging around bored for too long.
>>
>>1053625
I'd recommend a day in each place. Since you'll be down there in the winter, take a bus up north (about a day trip) and swing by Appi or some other ski resort and do some of that, their powder + their resorts are an amazing combination.
>>
File: DSC00422.jpg (4 MB, 4320x3240) Image search: [Google]
DSC00422.jpg
4 MB, 4320x3240
>>1053616
I would say go to Miyajima and climb up Mt. Misen when you're in Hiroshima, but I don't know how the weather would be like there at that time.
>>
>>1053546
The price are too low, they don't want anything in exchange. How do they gain money?
>>
>>1053638
I'm already doing 5 days skiing at Hakuba, I don't think I'll need any more.

I've heard the hot springs are really nice, especially in winter. Are they really worth a trip out purely for them alone?

>>1053647
I saw Miyajima, and it's definitely on my list.
Do you think one day there would be enough?
>>
im going to japan in a few months and Im just little uneasy going to a place I dont know anyone.

Are there websites I can use to make japanese penpals or just something I can use to make contact with a japanese person? So I can have someone to meet.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.