[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I'm thinking of Retconning my entire fantasy world
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: Rainy Fantasy town.jpg (391 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Rainy Fantasy town.jpg
391 KB, 1920x1080
>I'm thinking of Retconning my entire fantasy world

It's just not interesting to me anymore.

Should I do it?
>>
>>47325580
First I want you to explain what you think "retconning" means.
>>
>>47325619
But before that, explain your current fantasy world.
>>
>>47325619

Just restarting everything from the top. Maybe keep the name and some of the cosmology but destroy most of the content.

>>47325629

I don't want to get too into detail but;
>The Gods are the stars and moons
>The planet is also a God
>Sun is hell; where all the demons live
>Humans are the 'made people'- essentially they are everywhere because all the Gods found them easy to make.
>Bronze age style setting with some more fantasy metals in there for a clear progression of weapon materials
>Very poorly defined magic system
>Kind of boring and kitchen sink in terms of other races and nations

I kind of want to start over and do something a bit more focused. Keep the name and some cosmology but add in stronger racial divides and maybe make the setting have a little more generic technology but keep the weird metals to make it interesting.
>>
If that's what's going on, OP, then I don't see why you should keep it. You're not retconning everything mid-game, you're not trying to reboot a franchise of novels, you're just doing what any good writer does and fixing the things that you don't like about what you've written.

I wish I could remember who said it, but I have a strong memory of a quote from an author who described writing as climbing a mountain. You get part of the way up, then you're stuck, but looking down you can see a different path. So you take that path and get farther along, but you also move around the cliff-face and now you are missing the view. So you go back down, leaving a few pitons, and start again, trying to pick the ideal path that gives you a satisfying journey all the way to the peak.

As someone who has written out an entire setting, and then rewritten it when that campaign failed, I can tell you that it's very satisfying to go back and fix dumb mistakes you made
>>
>>47325750
Go for it, I've done it before. It's confusing to explain if your players are familiar with it but they probably won't give a fuck if they're like mine and the setting is just the backdrop to their adventure.
>>
>>47325750
It sounds fine.
What's got your panties in a twist?
>>
>>47326197

I don't know. Mostly the nonhuman races and the way that it all seems kind of... edgy I guess? Bleak might be a better word.
>>
>>47326225
So you're trying to noblebright the place up?
>>
>>47325580
Hey OP don't be a faggot Like I wad back in the day.

If you've clearly put forth the effort and detail, than the least you can do is post a link to Dropbox or download, so that one of us can save it for when you REALLY hate your new work.

Trust me, copies upon copies of your work is a god send.
>>
>>47326923

I already have most of the information saved and I keep all the old versions, but much of the world is in my head since it's usually all in flux anyway.
>>
File: 4PBjiaW.jpg (729 KB, 1814x1039) Image search: [Google]
4PBjiaW.jpg
729 KB, 1814x1039
>I want my generic dnd inspired fantasy setting to be a different dnd inspired fantasy setting

No one will notice or care but you, do whatever
>>
File: Fedora.jpg (86 KB, 1033x880) Image search: [Google]
Fedora.jpg
86 KB, 1033x880
>>47327033
>>
>>47325750

If you mean, new campaign, new characters, changed setting, the go for it.

But don't change the setting mid-campaign. That's a shit-tier move.
>>
>>47325750
I read somewhere that a good tip for when you're stuck writing something and don't know where to go, you throw a metaphorical wrench in the works and consider how your setting or characters would react to the change. And it's even more effective to make this wrench as 'out of left field' as possible.

Some suggestions:
>a God awakes and decides to leave the solar system
>suddenly, gold becomes more common than iron
>giants set up a burgeoning civilization
>the fish of the sea rebel against mankind
>an insane druid creates a plague of bears
>Mexican Luchadors suplex the main empire
>guns aren't invented, LASERS are
>Dinosaurs
>intelligent Dinosaurs
>a royal wedding between the main feuding empires
>a royal wedding interupted by dinosaurs
>a royal wedding interrupted by intelligent dinosaurs
>a royal wedding interrupted by luchadors
>a royal wedding interrupted by intelligent dinosaur luchadors

To name but a few.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.